ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Top 10 Pick? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=175316)

Hoover 11-25-2007 04:45 PM

Top 10 Pick?

Now I want the Chiefs to win just as badly as many of you. However, I'm a pretty realistic guy who didn't think we were going to do much before the year started. From day one what I wanted out of the 2007 year was for us to know what we have in Brodie Croyle and the rest of our young players.

I don't see this team winning any game from here on out. They might win against the Jets but that game is on the road. So with 5 wins at the most I think we are looking at a really high draft pick, and with our recent sucess on draft day it gives me some hope.

Mecca 11-25-2007 04:46 PM

5 wins...6th pick I think......Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Raiders, Rams...

Somewhere between 5-7 is what I'd expect with that record

Wa-Z 11-25-2007 04:51 PM

Are there any Offensive Lineman that are worthy of a pick that high?

KC_Connection 11-25-2007 04:53 PM

I'm not sure how anybody can say we won't win a game for the rest of this year. We're playing competitive football, even agaisnt good teams, and a few wins coming in is likely.

cdcox 11-25-2007 04:54 PM

We're likely to win a couple more games.

Right now it looks like we'll draft somewhere between 7 and 13.

Delano 11-25-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca
5 wins...6th pick I think......Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Raiders, Rams...

Somewhere between 5-7 is what I'd expect with that record

Who will the Chiefs get their fifth win against? NYJ? The Lions?

I predicted six wins this year, but it is looking like a five win season as you say.

Mecca 11-25-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox
We're likely to win a couple more games.

Right now it looks like we'll draft somewhere between 7 and 13.

I'm counting the Jets as the 5th win....who else they gonna beat?

Also there's a ton of Olineman but you pick that high you gotta take the best payer regardless.

There's so many OT's this year picking that high you could get a starting OT at the top of the second.

Mr. Arrowhead 11-25-2007 04:56 PM

anybody know a good draft propect site

cdcox 11-25-2007 04:57 PM

If we finish with only 5 wins, then we'll draft between 4 and 10 with 6 through 8 slots being the most likely by far.

Mecca 11-25-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Arrowhead
anybody know a good draft propect site

Check out NFLDraftcountdown.com

They have a mock and all that up.

ILChief 11-25-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wa-Z

Jake Long, OT from Michigan is a projected top 5-10 pick. Sam Baker was highly touted at the beginning of the season, but he's been hampered by injury.

There are some juniors that may leave early that are good too.

Mecca 11-25-2007 04:59 PM

Jake Long will go in the top 3 picks though.......if the Chiefs pick say 6th, the guys who we won't have a shot at are....Glen Dorsey, Jake Long, Chris Long and Darren McFadden...

cdcox 11-25-2007 05:00 PM

Quote:

I'm counting the Jets as the 5th win....who else they gonna beat?

Also there's a ton of Olineman but you pick that high you gotta take the best payer regardless.

There's so many OT's this year picking that high you could get a starting OT at the top of the second.

Probably won't be favored in any of the others but we'll be in the ball park against the Chargers, Titans and Lions, unless this team just quits on Herm.

Thig Lyfe 11-25-2007 05:02 PM

Me want Jake Long.

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer
Me want Jake Long.

Ok, pray the Chiefs don't win another game and somehow some of these really bad teams win a couple games.

Thig Lyfe 11-25-2007 05:04 PM

Quote:

Ok, pray the Chiefs don't win another game

I don't think I'll have to do any prayer for that to happen.

KCJohnny 11-25-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Ok, pray the Chiefs don't win another game and somehow some of these really bad teams win a couple games.

Everyone knows my reputation as a man of faith, and i always encourage everyone to pray.

Prayer will not be neccessary to achieve this goal, Mecca.

:rolleyes:

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer
I don't think I'll have to do any prayer for that to happen.

Ok problem is, the Dolphins may take him, I don't expect it but it could happen....if they don't......somehow the you'll need the Raiders to win another game.

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:07 PM

Also according to Longs scouting report...some people question of Jake Long is a LT in the NFL and if he'll have to move to the right side....

cdcox 11-25-2007 05:12 PM

The projected draft order will change a hundred times before the draft.

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:12 PM

Quote:

The projected draft order will change a hundred times before the draft.

Oh I know I'm just going on teams with worse records than the Chiefs at this point.....

CupidStunt 11-25-2007 05:12 PM

Too premature to say the one guy I want. I want a good player, and we'll get one. Either the choice of the top three or two of the top three QBs, perhaps an OT, some great DBs... we'll see.

People think this guy and that guy aren't gonna be available, but you just don't know. I wouldn't be surprised if Dorsey slips just a little bit and maybe we get a shot at him. Same goes for Jake Long.

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:13 PM

This is a pretty shitty DB year, at least at this point it is.

cdcox 11-25-2007 05:14 PM

Quote:

Oh I know I'm just going on teams with worse records than the Chiefs at this point.....

I was actually referring to the players that would be taken at particular spots.

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2007 05:14 PM

They better draft a stud LT with it.

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:16 PM

I think if I had my choice of any guy....I'd take Glenn Dorsey before I took any of the OT's. When you pick that high you have to take someone you are sure on and not a need. I think Dorsey is a lock to be a top notch player.

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2007 05:17 PM

Quote:

Jake Long

CupidStunt 11-25-2007 05:19 PM

Quote:

Malcolm Jenkins is as good a corner prospect as I have seen in a few years. Cason is very good. Ikegwuonu is very good. Outside of Kenny Phillips, I don't like the safety class, but the depth at CB is very good and we have a #8-#12 pick, I'm more than happy with Jenkins.

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2007 05:19 PM

Or Sam Baker

CupidStunt 11-25-2007 05:21 PM

Michael Oher is the best OT in this draft.

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:22 PM

Baker is falling like a rock..he won't go till late teens at this moment he may move back up...

Also I forgot about Jenkins he's a top 15 guy as a CB.

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2007 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
Michael Oher is the best OT in this draft.

He's nowhere on this list...

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/ot.html

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefDave

It's because he's a junior, that is just a list of seniors.

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2007 05:38 PM

Quote:

It's because he's a junior, that is just a list of seniors.

Yes, but Ryan Clady is listed as the top underclassman. It doesn't matter, Herm will screw it up anyway...

HolmeZz 11-25-2007 05:46 PM

Quote:

It's likely going to be a great cornerback year. Malcolm Jenkins, Justin King, Antoine Cason, Mike Jenkins, Terrell Thomas, Jack Ikegwuonu, Tracy Porter, DeJuan Tribble...

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:49 PM

I like Jenkins......I've seen every game Terrell Thomas has ever played and even me a SC guy wouldn't take him in the first round.

I haven't seen enough of some of those guys to really comment. I don't think any corner is worth a top 10 pick and there's 1 worth top 15, I didn't say it wasn't deep. I should have clarified there is no standout top 5 CB prospect.

Hoover 11-25-2007 05:51 PM

I know we have a huge need at LT but if the the top one is gone and you can get the top CB I think you have o take him

Mecca 11-25-2007 05:54 PM

I'd take one of the DT's, well depends what the pick is.

the Talking Can 11-25-2007 06:02 PM

Quote:

I think if I had my choice of any guy....I'd take Glenn Dorsey before I took any of the OT's. When you pick that high you have to take someone you are sure on and not a need. I think Dorsey is a lock to be a top notch player.

I'd be thrilled to get Dorsey. You can't have enough good players on either line.

The advantage of having a top 10 pick isn't really in the 1st round. There are lots of inflated salaries and busts there along with the franchise players (Sims vs Bowe). But having early picks in the 2nd and 3rd round is the real advantage. A lot of good players slip to the early 2nd...and given how poor our 2nd rounders have generally been, it would be nice to have a shot at those "border line" first rounders.

We could (in theory) get Dorsey with the 6th pick and then find a top (#1-3) center/guard early in the 2nd.

Then take a WR/LB/CB with the early 3rd.

Basically it just means we have a larger pool of players to chose from, and more options if someone starts to slide.

TEX 11-25-2007 06:04 PM

But even with high draft picks - we'll still have Herm at the end of the day. :banghead:

KcMizzou 11-25-2007 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX
But even with high draft picks - we'll still have Herm at the end of the day. :banghead:

I don't mind Herm being involved in making said picks.

TEX 11-25-2007 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou

I don't either. That's what he is. He's NOT a HC.

NIUhuskies 11-25-2007 06:14 PM

10. Kansas City Chiefs: Calais Campbell, DE, Miami
http://www.cnnsi.com/football/ncaa/s...ges/mia_fl.jpg
Brodie Croyle actually looked pretty decent at Indianapolis, so maybe the Chiefs will hold off on drafting a quarterback and give their young gun-slinger a year to prove himself. With that in mind, Sam Baker and Ryan Clady become serious options to improve the offensive line. However, I don't think Kansas City can pass on Calais Campbell, the best player available at this juncture. The massive Calais Campbell would be a great fit for the JChiefs defense. Campbell is a huge human being at 6'8" 280 pounds. He had 10½ sacks last year, and he has been continually double-teamed this year because of his constant threat at the line. Campbell will cause teams to have to adjust to handle the threat he presents. Jared Allen may defect for another team via the free-agent market. If that happens, the Chiefs will need an insurance policy anyway.

Round 2
40. Kansas City Chiefs: Barry Richardson, OT, Clemson
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/55318...0A659CEC4C8CB6
Let's see... the Chiefs can't run the ball (Larry Johnson averaging 3.5 yards per carry) or pass protect (29 sacks allowed in nine games). Will Kansas City finally come to its senses and realize it needs to draft some offensive linemen to replace the ones that retired? For the sake of Chiefs fans everywhere, I hope so.

Round 3
Kansas City Chiefs: Mike Hart, RB, Michigan
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/s...ilbag/Hart.jpg
In the wake of Priest Holmes' retirement, all the Chiefs have left at the running back position are the suddenly injury-prone Larry Johnson and rookie Kolby Smith.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

BigMeatballDave 11-25-2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou

True. Why don't we get rid of Carl, and promote Herm to GM?

Hoover 11-25-2007 06:53 PM

So we now are sitting at the 7th overall pick...

I think SF, and STL could win a few more.

Mecca 11-25-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
So we now are sitting at the 7th overall pick...

I think SF, and STL could win a few more.

Just remember, New England has SF's pick, so don't think about who SF would pick think about who NE would pick.

unothadeal 11-25-2007 07:42 PM

Quote:

Just remember, New England has SF's pick, so don't think about who SF would pick think about who NE would pick.

They're pretty set at O-line, right?

CupidStunt 11-25-2007 07:44 PM

They've got mediocre OTs. They could take Long or their top-rated OT.

As for NFLDraftCountdown, I'm not sold on Scott Wright. He's the most bland 'talent evaluator' there is and doesn't really seem to know jack about very many prospects.

Hydrae 11-25-2007 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefDave
True. Why don't we get rid of Carl, and promote Herm to GM?

I don't even care if we let Carl stay on as president. Let Herm deal with the personnel decisions and put someone else on the field.

OnTheWarpath15 11-25-2007 08:01 PM

Quote:

Good, we can get two then.

:evil:

Tribal Warfare 11-25-2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

There are many solid OTs, but no real dominant physical freaks. the real high end depth position this year is at DB.

blueballs 11-25-2007 10:06 PM

Like Carl will get them signed by camp

ChiefsCountry 11-25-2007 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lj4mvp
They've got mediocre OTs. They could take Long or their top-rated OT.

As for NFLDraftCountdown, I'm not sold on Scott Wright. He's the most bland 'talent evaluator' there is and doesn't really seem to know jack about very many prospects.

He is normally dead on projections though. After Gosslein he is the best to look at.

Valiant 11-25-2007 10:14 PM

Best player available..

Ugly Duck 11-25-2007 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover
Top 10 Pick?

Top 10? Huh? Don't sell yourself short.... Chiefs are right in the mix for the #1 Overall Pick of the 2008 Draft!! You can do it... you are every bit as bad as San Francisco or Miami, you suck just as bad as the worst of 'em - don't underestimate KC suckage... you can go all the way!

Chiefnj2 11-25-2007 10:25 PM

Quote:

If we finish with only 5 wins, then we'll draft between 4 and 10 with 6 through 8 slots being the most likely by far.

Holdout.

Deberg_1990 11-25-2007 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueballs
Like Carl will get them signed by camp

Lets pray Carl wont be around to worry about any of that.

Mecca 11-25-2007 10:36 PM

I think the Pats would take McFadden...just me though.

Smed1065 11-25-2007 10:42 PM

Quote:

Never know DJ was 15th.

Mecca 11-25-2007 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smed1065
Never know DJ was 15th.

Cause he's a LB, and he had question marks.

If any team ever took a LB that plays like him in the top 10 they'd be ripped out the ass. Having a top 10 pick is where you take franchise players.

Mecca 11-25-2007 11:06 PM

I wonder if anyone will tell us we are bad fans for talking about the draft already...

Or give us the whole how dare you to want the Chiefs to lose for a better draft pick speech.

Ugly Duck 11-25-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

I think the Pats would take McFadden...just me though.

Don't the Pats have to give up a 1st rounder for cheating? Will the NFL let them choose which 1st rounder to forfeit, or will the league just take one as punishment?

cdcox 11-25-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugly Duck
Don't the Pats have to give up a 1st rounder for cheating? Will the NFL let them choose which 1st rounder to forfeit, or will the league just take one as punishment?

They give up their own 1st rounder and keep the 1st rounder from the trade.

mylittlepony 11-26-2007 02:11 AM

Problem with not picking a LT is we might be stunting our young QB and WRs growth. The biggest problem of picking the best possible athlete is that unless you have a nurturing enviroment for him to grow in you are wasting his abilities. The most winnning teams know this and balance very well need with BPA. By letting Croyle scramble in order to make passes another year, never giving him enough time to set his feet or for Rookie D.Bowe to never get time to get open how will this effect their chemistry? Would getting the top DT ensure that we would get a Pro Bowler, most likely but how will it effect us as a team?

I dont know if Im thinking to short sighted but I just think we need to go with need inorder not to have a couple of our high round picks wasted.

BigRock 11-26-2007 02:26 AM

Re: offensive tackles, Lenny P wrote this on ESPN:

Quote:

Some league scouts feel the pool of offensive tackles in the 2008 draft class is among the best in recent years. Leading the way is Jake Long of Michigan, an absolute monster who might be the top prospect in the draft at any position. It's still early in the process, but some personnel people feel Long is as good as Joe Thomas, the former Wisconsin star taken by the Cleveland Browns with the third overall choice in this year's draft. The tackle who is rising the fastest in the eyes of scouts is Jeff Otah of the University of Pittsburgh.

RedThat 11-26-2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittlepony
Problem with not picking a LT is we might be stunting our young QB and WRs growth. The biggest problem of picking the best possible athlete is that unless you have a nurturing enviroment for him to grow in you are wasting his abilities. The most winnning teams know this and balance very well need with BPA. By letting Croyle scramble in order to make passes another year, never giving him enough time to set his feet or for Rookie D.Bowe to never get time to get open how will this effect their chemistry? Would getting the top DT ensure that we would get a Pro Bowler, most likely but how will it effect us as a team?

I dont know if Im thinking to short sighted but I just think we need to go with need inorder not to have a couple of our high round picks wasted.

Building a strong team takes time. Sometimes QB's need more than just a year under their belt.

I think OT makes a difference for any quarterback yes. But, I think there is a lot more to it when it comes to developing a young QB. Croyle just simply has to play more. A lot of his problems believe it or not are mechanical? It would definately help him if he has an improved line, but I think he makes up for it with his scrambling mobility. Plus, I think this O-line is decent for passblocking. They have been ok at that this year, not great but ok. What concerns me more about Croyle is the coaching staff. Im worried that he doesn't have the right guys around him to guide him and tutor him well.

To me, it makes no difference? If youre the Chiefs you take the BPA. You have to? And note, you said winning team? which the chiefs aren't. I don't think it makes a difference of the environment. A good player is a good player. You see a potential star in the top 5 like Tomlinson, Manning, Ray Lewis, Shawne Merriman whomever? You take him. Simple as that. The Chiefs are a bad team and need a superstar player they can build around. It is a bad environment as it is in KC yeah, but a lot of those guys that are drafted in the top 5 come from good schools, good programs. They are tutored well enough, and prepared to play at the NFL level anyway. It doesn't make a difference. Im sure you get a player in the top 5 it can have a dramatic impact and change of attitude on the environment of a losing franchise. we saw that with DT and Neil Smith? They made a difference and brought winning back in KC. You seen it with guys like Peyton Manning too.

Tribal Warfare 11-26-2007 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mylittlepony
Problem with not picking a LT is we might be stunting our young QB and WRs growth. The biggest problem of picking the best possible athlete is that unless you have a nurturing enviroment for him to grow in you are wasting his abilities. The most winnning teams know this and balance very well need with BPA.

Nomatter what BPA is the way to go

Tribal Warfare 11-26-2007 02:37 AM

BTW, if Oher declares he could possibly be the BPA when KC picks in the top 10 . More likely though, it will be Sedrick Ellis

POND_OF_RED 11-26-2007 02:51 AM

As much as I hate OU this week I would love to see Phil Loadholt wear a chiefs jersey.

CupidStunt 11-26-2007 05:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock
Re: offensive tackles, Lenny P wrote this on ESPN:

I haven't seen a better overall OT class than this one in many years. It doesn't quite have the Joe Thomas or Robert Gallery (fortunately?!) but the depth is OUTSTANDING. I have a couple guys rated as top-15-caliber players that should be available at the top of the second round.

Us Chiefs fans are generally as unlucky as any fanbase out there, but we got really lucky that this is the year we finally suck a 10-foot pole. We could come out of this draft with two legitimate starting offensive lineman as rookies from day one.