ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ***** Official KU vs Davidson NCAA Tourney Game Thread .***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=182228)

ROYC75 03-28-2008 11:39 PM

***** Official KU vs Davidson NCAA Tourney Game Thread .*****

Sunday, 4:05 PM @ Detroit .

KU enters the Elite Eight vs Davidson, this years version of Cinderella. Davidson has played a tough non confrence schedule to be prepared for the tourney. On line is a trip to the Final Four for the winner. Davidson currently hold the nations longest winning streak in the NCAA and has one of the sharpest shooters in Stephen Curry. Here's to stopping Davidson's streak and KU moving on to the next round.

Again, It's time for:KU: Rock Chalk Jayhawk, KU :KU:

chiefbowe82 03-28-2008 11:43 PM

rush vs curry matcup

teedubya 03-29-2008 12:32 AM

:KU:

Mr. Kotter 03-29-2008 12:51 AM

Rrrrooooccckkkkk Ccccchhhhaallllllllkkkkkk, Jjjjjjjaaaayyyyyhhhhhawwwwkkkk....
KKKKKKKKKKKkkkkkkkkkkUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuuu

RRrooocckk Ccchhaalllllkkk, Jjjaayhhhawkkk....
KKKKKkkkkkkkUUUUuuuuuuuuu.....

RRrockk Ccchhlllkkk, Jjayhawkk....
KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!

ROCKCHALK JAYHAWK, KKK-UUUU!!!

Go Jayhawks!

KCChiefsMan 03-29-2008 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_CHIEFS_06 (Post 4655295)
rush vs curry matcup

nah, Chalmers or Robinson should be able to contain him.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-29-2008 01:12 AM

I think this is going to be a very good game.

Deberg_1990 03-29-2008 01:40 AM

Where the hell is Davidson??

Mr. Flopnuts 03-29-2008 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 4655347)
Where the hell is Davidson??

5 miles from where I lived in NC. They're in Davidson NC, about 20 miles north of Charlotte.

Boon 03-29-2008 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 4655330)

KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!

Go Jayhawks!

What he said.

DJay23 03-29-2008 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Flopnuts (Post 4655340)
I think this is going to be a very good game.

For my heart's sake, I hope you're wrong.

For the team's sake, I hope you're right (assuming we win). We need a grind it out close win to keep it fresh in our minds if we want to do anything beyond this weekend.

I really don't want to lose, not only because I expect nothing short of a National Title from this team and partly because I don't want to lose this team.

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 08:16 AM

In all honesty I think the clock struck 12 midnight for this DAV team. I don't think Curry will do too well against this KU defense. The stars are aligning for KU to make the final four. I almost see KU just taking care of business just to get it over with.

This game will be a blowout, the score won't really indicate it, but I see KU taking control right from the opening tip. KU 82 DAV 66

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 08:22 AM

Im pretty excited to see this matchup...hopefully davidson can keep their streak alive but they haven't faced a team as balanced as KU

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 08:48 AM

If Kansas wins, I can't really remember an easier road to the final four for a team in quite some time. Not really trying to take anyway from KU, but I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks that Portland St, UNLV, Nova, and Davidson are anywhere near the level of that of UNC. If they win and UNC wins I just hope to god KU plays their A game against the Tar Heels. I mean this road easily could have been against teams like GTown, Vandy, Clemson, and Wisc.

When the brackets came out I thought KU had the easiest road to the Final 4, but I don't think anyone could have predicted the upsets that have occurred. There are many many times in the dance where the best teams don't win. That's what makes this event every year to be the biggest gambling and sports betting event, that's what makes this fun, people like to root for the underdog.

I just hope KU is ready to play. This is the last shot for them for a while I think. I know they need to first worry about DAV, but I will say this about Self if they advance. He has this and one and only chance to break away out from Roy Williams shadow at Kansas (if UNC makes it to the Final4). If he loses to Roy, I don't think he will ever break out of that shadow unless he wins a national title. I honestly think Self will have elephant tons of pressure on him to the point I bet he doesn't sleep at all this next week if it all plays out like I think it should. Roy has everything to gain and Self has everything to lose.

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 09:06 AM

I agree its been an easier road but they still have to win games, they have been beaten by weaker competition before.

Mr. Laz 03-29-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 4655330)

KKKkkk-UUuuuuuuu.....

RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!
RockChalk Jayhawk, KU!

Go Jayhawks!

yep

milkman 03-29-2008 09:18 AM

Starting official game threads more than 24 hours before the game is really ****ing stupid.

Mr. Arrowhead 03-29-2008 09:20 AM

Davidson vs KU equals George Mason vs UCONN

ROYC75 03-29-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4655458)
Starting official game threads more than 24 hours before the game is really ****ing stupid.

Blah Blah Blah, to each his own ...........:D

Buehler445 03-29-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655436)
If Kansas wins, I can't really remember an easier road to the final four for a team in quite some time. Not really trying to take anyway from KU, but I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks that Portland St, UNLV, Nova, and Davidson are anywhere near the level of that of UNC. If they win and UNC wins I just hope to god KU plays their A game against the Tar Heels. I mean this road easily could have been against teams like GTown, Vandy, Clemson, and Wisc.

When the brackets came out I thought KU had the easiest road to the Final 4, but I don't think anyone could have predicted the upsets that have occurred. There are many many times in the dance where the best teams don't win. That's what makes this event every year to be the biggest gambling and sports betting event, that's what makes this fun, people like to root for the underdog.

I just hope KU is ready to play. This is the last shot for them for a while I think. I know they need to first worry about DAV, but I will say this about Self if they advance. He has this and one and only chance to break away out from Roy Williams shadow at Kansas (if UNC makes it to the Final4). If he loses to Roy, I don't think he will ever break out of that shadow unless he wins a national title. I honestly think Self will have elephant tons of pressure on him to the point I bet he doesn't sleep at all this next week if it all plays out like I think it should. Roy has everything to gain and Self has everything to lose.

I never thought Georgetown was good and Wisconsin looked like a giant batch of ass yesterday. On the other hand, I almost picked Clemson to upset KU when I filled out my bracket. I'm glad I didn't (despite the fact that my bracket is ****ed).

But I agree with you. Provided KU gets by Davidson, life gets tough. Real tough. I certainly hope that KU wins it all, but UNC is looking ****ing fantastic (damnit).

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 4655467)
I never thought Georgetown was good and Wisconsin looked like a giant batch of ass yesterday. On the other hand, I almost picked Clemson to upset KU when I filled out my bracket. I'm glad I didn't (despite the fact that my bracket is ****ed).

But I agree with you. Provided KU gets by Davidson, life gets tough. Real tough. I certainly hope that KU wins it all, but UNC is looking ****ing fantastic (damnit).

Just for that JB, I hope a 1000 camel flees infest your crouch!

Buehler445 03-29-2008 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655480)
Just for that JB, I hope a 1000 camel flees infest your crouch!

Already did.

Clemson took UNC to overtime twice. And then promply lose in the first round. Crazy tournament.

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 4655510)
Already did.

Clemson took UNC to overtime twice. And then promply lose in the first round. Crazy tournament.

:clap: U get what you deserve....

Bearcat 03-29-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

If Kansas wins, I can't really remember an easier road to the final four for a team in quite some time.

When the brackets came out I thought KU had the easiest road to the Final 4, but I don't think anyone could have predicted the upsets that have occurred.

There's a post somewhere around here, and to my surprise, there's actually been a few other teams with just as easy or easier roads to the Final Four.

I had USC playing Kansas, with Georgetown losing to Davidson and Wisconsin losing to USC, but I didn't do my research and didn't know they are a team of all Freshmen and Sophomores. Once KSU won, I thought they had a good chance of making it to the EE. Big 10 and Big East will generally keep both teams in the game.. some call the Big East deep, I call it mediocre.

I've never really thought about Self being in Roy's shadow, and I'm not sure Self cares either. He'll be under a lot of pressure because it would be his first Final Four and it will be the last chance for at least a few years. It's not he took over for a Roy Williams that won 3 titles at Kansas or lost a bunch of times to Roy, or even has any of Roy's players.

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 10:13 AM

Self's a great coach i wish MU would've gotten him...

Roy didn't win anything at KU so i don't see the shadow either

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 10:19 AM

Quote:

If you don't some n00b will jump in there and do it. :KU: is undefeated with Roy starting our threads.

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4655534)
Self's a great coach i wish MU would've gotten him...

Roy didn't win anything at KU so i don't see the shadow either

But then what would we have done with out all the Mighty Quinns meltdowns...

Bearcat 03-29-2008 10:27 AM

Quote:

Yeah, who wants to talk about a game 30 hours before it happens... there are all those other things going on these days...

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 4655526)
There's a post somewhere around here, and to my surprise, there's actually been a few other teams with just as easy or easier roads to the Final Four.

I had USC playing Kansas, with Georgetown losing to Davidson and Wisconsin losing to USC, but I didn't do my research and didn't know they are a team of all Freshmen and Sophomores. Once KSU won, I thought they had a good chance of making it to the EE. Big 10 and Big East will generally keep both teams in the game.. some call the Big East deep, I call it mediocre.

I've never really thought about Self being in Roy's shadow, and I'm not sure Self cares either. He'll be under a lot of pressure because it would be his first Final Four and it will be the last chance for at least a few years. It's not he took over for a Roy Williams that won 3 titles at Kansas or lost a bunch of times to Roy, or even has any of Roy's players.

My point on Roy/Self was that most of Jayhawk fans would probably have Roy as a coach (myself included) than Self, and it would really help on Selfs part to put some sort of a big **** you to all those fans by winning that game.

Hey to be honest I think Roy will always be a better coach regardless of what happens, but it would really be nice to take it to UNC. At least it would feel good.

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655539)
But then what would we have done with out all the Mighty Quinns meltdowns...

Be very bored :p

Damn that Quinn:shake:

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4655555)
Be very bored :p

Damn that Quinn:shake:

ROFL

Sad times change huh?

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655551)
My point on Roy/Self was that most of Jayhawk fans would probably have Roy as a coach (myself included) than Self, and it would really help on Selfs part to put some sort of a big **** you to all those fans by winning that game.

Hey to be honest I think Roy will always be a better coach regardless of what happens, but it would really be nice to take it to UNC. At least it would feel good.

I like Self more that Roy... Roys teams always seems to have a touch of vagianist at time... Selfs teams seem to be alot tougher...

I think we match up well with UNC and will slow the game down to force them to play Selfs ball... Like the ass whippings he gave us at UI in the tourney.

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655572)
ROFL

Sad times change huh?

Hopefully next year we can actually compete or attempt too, i miss not having my team in the NCAA Tourney...

I am glad the football team has done well, but miss march madness with my team in it

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 4655578)
Hopefully next year we can actually compete or attempt too, i miss not having my team in the NCAA Tourney...

I am glad the football team has done well, but miss march madness with my team in it

Understand...

I hope FatGino can keep building on this years Orange Bowl... Also I would like to beat MU this year as well... :)

Sure-Oz 03-29-2008 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655581)
Understand...

I hope FatGino can keep building on this years Orange Bowl... Also I would like to beat MU this year as well... :)

Should be another fun year for both clubs...atleast we got college football since the chiefs will suck baows

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 10:52 AM

Self has a better W/L %age at KU than Roy.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655551)

I was much more upset about the hiring of Self than I was with Roy leaving. At his press conference, Self responded to questions regarding the Big-10 style by saying "we're going to run because that's what you do in the Big 12", and then spent a couple of years trying to shove the high-low down players' throats. Since then though, I've really respected what he's done, and I while I still enjoy watching Roy's style, I like watching Self's Jayhawks even more, because they can get after it on both sides of the ball.

I completely agree that it would make for a great, almost circle-of-life moment if Kansas and UNC met and Kansas won. Roy's last moment as a Jayhawk will always go down as "I don't give a sh*t about North Carolina" after the NC game, and several years later it could be "I don't give a sh*t about Kansas" in the Final Four. But, my point is that I don't think Bill Self cares about all of that stuff, and I don't think that's why he'll lose sleep if they beat Davidson and meet UNC.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

If Kansas wins, I can't really remember an easier road to the final four for a team in quite some time.

Man, I love this idiocy. Yes, you can. You can look at many factors. First, UCLA and UNC got to play RIGHT NEXT TO HOME. Basically, the Jayhawks playing at the Sprint Center, which, if it happened, ESPN would implode.

But let's not overlook UCLA, who, on paper before the tournament, had hands down the easiest bracket. Further, they had to rely on a horrendous no-call to get past another Big 12 team in Texas A&M. They should have crushed A&M.

Quote:

Not really trying to take anyway from KU, but I don't think I'm the only one here who thinks that Portland St, UNLV, Nova, and Davidson are anywhere near the level of that of UNC. If they win and UNC wins I just hope to god KU plays their A game against the Tar Heels. I mean this road easily could have been against teams like GTown, Vandy, Clemson, and Wisc.
I have not and will not every get this logic. If the other high seeds lose to lower seeds that means the last standing high seed had an easy road. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Because if they have the hardest possible road to the final four and lose by 1 in 3OT to the #2 seed, people will complain they choked. Man, it's nothing but preemptively trying to discredit someone's success.

Further, why is it Kansas' fault? Why are you blaming (essentially) Kansas for something that they have ZERO control over.

Quote:

So March Madness is really good and upsets ROCK, but that hurts the #1 seed still playing. :doh!::rolleyes:

Quote:

Quit. Talking.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655577)
I like Self more that Roy... Roys teams always seems to have a touch of vagianist at time... Selfs teams seem to be alot tougher...

I think we match up well with UNC and will slow the game down to force them to play Selfs ball... Like the ass whippings he gave us at UI in the tourney.

It's hard to describe, but there were times when Roy was here that I thought "we're going to lose" within the first few minutes of a game, and I was usually right. Great teams with great players, but if they had an off night, they were f***ed.

I agree, Self's teams seem to be tougher... they win games when they don't play well. They'll regroup at halftime and go on a run after struggling for 20 minutes. It's a nice balance between Roy's "we can blow anyone out, but we have a tendency to lose to sub-par teams when we aren't running at our best" and the Big 10/Big East's "we're in every game, but so is our opponent".

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655589)
Self has a better W/L %age at KU than Roy.

There's really no way in determining that. Self has coached in a far less amt of games. I don't think it's fair to compare 15 years to 5 years.

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4655601)
Man, I love this idiocy. Yes, you can. You can look at many factors. First, UCLA and UNC got to play RIGHT NEXT TO HOME. Basically, the Jayhawks playing at the Sprint Center, which, if it happened, ESPN would implode.

But let's not overlook UCLA, who, on paper before the tournament, had hands down the easiest bracket. Further, they had to rely on a horrendous no-call to get past another Big 12 team in Texas A&M. They should have crushed A&M.

I have not and will not every get this logic. If the other high seeds lose to lower seeds that means the last standing high seed had an easy road. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Because if they have the hardest possible road to the final four and lose by 1 in 3OT to the #2 seed, people will complain they choked. Man, it's nothing but preemptively trying to discredit someone's success.

Further, why is it Kansas' fault? Why are you blaming (essentially) Kansas for something that they have ZERO control over.

So March Madness is really good and upsets ROCK, but that hurts the #1 seed still playing. :doh!::rolleyes:

Quit. Talking.

I really think you missed my point entirely.

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655626)
There's really no way in determining that. Self has coached in a far less amt of games. I don't think it's fair to compare 15 years to 5 years.

The gap will only widen. Self won 33 games last year and already has 34 this year. Or compare Selfs first 5 vs. Roy's first 5. Self wins.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655630)
I really think you missed my point entirely.

No, I don't think I did. You used really stupid logic to set up the point that we will probably lose to UNC. It's a form of an excuse; Kansas didn't play anybody so they aren't ready for the "big dog" in UNC.

You mention upsets being good, yet their bad. You mention Georgetown, Wisconsin, Clemson, and Vandy yet you say Kansas had the easiest road. If Wisconsin had won, you wouldn't have said the same thing you're saying now. Clemson was talked and talked and talked to beat KU and then couldn't make it out of the first round. Vandy didn't last. And, yet, KU stomps on the team that beats Clemson, yet we've "had it easy".

Georgetown loses to Davidson and then Wisconsin loses to Davidson. Great story. Unless you play Kansas. Then it's "Kansas had it easy".

All of those points have nothing to do with the fact that when we play UNC we have to come to play. It just seems you're trying to knock us before we've stepped on the court by pointing at the supposed "cakewalk".

schneider221 03-29-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

Quit. Talking.

In the long run it doesn't really matter. If KU makes the final four we might hear from a few people about how easy the run was but once next year rolls around people will only remember that they were in the final four and not who they played to get there.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schneider221 (Post 4655647)
In the long run it doesn't really matter. If KU makes the final four we might hear from a few people about how easy the run was but once next year rolls around people will only remember that they were in the final four and not who they played to get there.

Can't deny or debate that.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4655643)
All of those points have nothing to do with the fact that when we play UNC we have to come to play.

*cough*IF*cough

I mean, UNC might lose to Louisville. LMAO :evil:

Quote:

:clap:

People say Self chokes because he can't get past the Elite Eight, yet he's been there a lot. What they don't say is that once you get there, your competition doesn't get any better. You have 3 games against teams that are either 1-3 seeds or teams that are on fire and very dangerous. It would be one thing if the SS and EE were on different weekends, but teams that win their SS game are steamrolling ahead to the Elite Eight.

Everyone talks about the Final Four as the destination... get there and you've had a great season. What's the difference between EE games like KU/UCLA last year or UNC/Louisville or Texas/Memphis and FF games like Texas/UCLA or KU/UNC? Nothing. The free rides have stopped, regardless of whether your opponent as a 2 or 10 in front of their name.

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655640)
The gap will only widen. Self won 33 games last year and already has 34 this year. Or compare Selfs first 5 vs. Roy's first 5. Self wins.

I don't see how you can still make that comparison. Didn't Roy face NCAA violations when he first arrived?

Self pretty much inherited a bunch of All American/ All Conf. players that had tons of tourney exp. I don't think comparing eachothers first 5 seasons can tell you much.

milkman 03-29-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 4655545)
Yeah, who wants to talk about a game 30 hours before it happens... there are all those other things going on these days...

I don't know.
Call me an innovator, but I bet you could talk about a game 30 hours before it happens in a thread that isn't an "official game" thread.

CoMoChief 03-29-2008 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4655643)
No, I don't think I did. You used really stupid logic to set up the point that we will probably lose to UNC. It's a form of an excuse; Kansas didn't play anybody so they aren't ready for the "big dog" in UNC.

You mention upsets being good, yet their bad. You mention Georgetown, Wisconsin, Clemson, and Vandy yet you say Kansas had the easiest road. If Wisconsin had won, you wouldn't have said the same thing you're saying now. Clemson was talked and talked and talked to beat KU and then couldn't make it out of the first round. Vandy didn't last. And, yet, KU stomps on the team that beats Clemson, yet we've "had it easy".

Georgetown loses to Davidson and then Wisconsin loses to Davidson. Great story. Unless you play Kansas. Then it's "Kansas had it easy".

All of those points have nothing to do with the fact that when we play UNC we have to come to play. It just seems you're trying to knock us before we've stepped on the court by pointing at the supposed "cakewalk".

I don't think you understand in the tourney many times the better team doesn't exactly win. You think Gtown and Wisc would lost to Davidson on a consistent basis? I don't and I know you don't but thats the thing about the tourney it's a lose one and done format. Which is fine, but all I'm saying KU didn't exactly have to play the tough teams they probably should have played. Not saying it's their fault which you seem that I am going that route. Kansas hasn't played a team all season that is at UNC's level. Not only that but UNC is playing their best ball at the best possible time. There were only 2 teams in this whole tournament I was scared of. One obviously is UNC and the other WAS UCLA, but they have just been playing like shit. Playing a 16, 8,12 and 10 seed on the road to the final 4 is a blessing in KU's favor. Self finally gets the monkey off his back for not being able to make a final 4 (granted they win tomorrow). I just don't think KU has really played any good teams on the way there.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 4655690)
I don't know.
Call me an innovator, but I bet you could talk about a game 30 hours before it happens in a thread that isn't an "official game" thread.

Why have two threads about the same game when there's only 1 day between the previous game and gameday? I know we have the NCAA thread, but this one is going to get created regardless of whether it's 12:30 this morning or sometime tomorrow. :shrug:

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655678)
I don't see how you can still make that comparison. Didn't Roy face NCAA violations when he first arrived?

Self pretty much inherited a bunch of All American/ All Conf. players that had tons of tourney exp. I don't think comparing eachothers first 5 seasons can tell you much.

Self wins every comparison I can think of. I can't come up with any that favors Roy. Self beat Roy by 16 in the Dance in 2001. Self also beat Roy by 14 in 2000.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655693)
I don't think you understand in the tourney many times the better team doesn't exactly win. You think Gtown and Wisc would lost to Davidson on a consistent basis? I don't and I know you don't but thats the thing about the tourney it's a lose one and done format. Which is fine, but all I'm saying KU didn't exactly have to play the tough teams they probably should have played. Not saying it's their fault which you seem that I am going that route. Kansas hasn't played a team all season that is at UNC's level. Not only that but UNC is playing their best ball at the best possible time. There were only 2 teams in this whole tournament I was scared of. One obviously is UNC and the other WAS UCLA, but they have just been playing like shit. Playing a 16, 8,12 and 10 seed on the road to the final 4 is a blessing in KU's favor. Self finally gets the monkey off his back for not being able to make a final 4 (granted they win tomorrow). I just don't think KU has really played any good teams on the way there.

Unfortunately, I think UNC looks like the 2003 Jayhawks. Stomping the competition and then the wheels fall off.

Who has UNC played that's KU's level?

Duke? Surely not.
Clemson? Hell no.

Bearcat 03-29-2008 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655693)
Playing a 16, 8,12 and 10 seed on the road to the final 4 is a blessing in KU's favor.

IMO, the only blessing is Villanova (and maybe UNLV because they were a weak 8, but Kent State was a weak 9... but it's not like there are many 'strong' 8s or 9s). Villanova was down 18 to Clemson and Clemson choked (see Anti-Hawks, that's the proper use of the term). And even after Clemson choked, Villanova choked right back. The last few minutes was a chokefest. Then they play a Siena team that was apparently just happy to have won a game.

But, I digress. Kansas earned the game against Portland State. UNLV/Kent State was expected. Villanova was not, and Villanova didn't really do anything to get to the SS. Davidson has earned their spot in the EE, and they are hot, fearless and very dangerous. I personally would rather play them over Georgetown or Wisconsin because it'll be more entertaining, not because I fear one over the other two.

Quote:

(granted they win tomorrow).
Thank you. :D

Well, I'm off to see the Brigade... I heard they gave up 90+ points last week. :doh!:

Bearcat 03-29-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irishjayhawk (Post 4655709)
Unfortunately, I think UNC looks like the 2003 Jayhawks. Stomping the competition and then the wheels fall off.

Who has UNC played that's KU's level?

Duke? Surely not.
Clemson? Hell no.

Hmmm... nice comeback. It does look like they're on a mission, but I hadn't thought of it that way because of all the UNC love. I think Louisville will be there first real test in a while, like Texas was for KU in the Big 12 Championship game. I mean, WSU was supposed to be good, but you hold UNC under 70 (first team all season to do it) and still lose by 20? Yeah, not really the balance that Kansas would show them.

tk13 03-29-2008 12:07 PM

I don't really think there is such a thing as an easy road to a final four. If a lesser seeded team wins, doesn't that mean they're playing pretty well right now. Once you get to the 3-10 seeds, it's all pretty even anyway.

It's pretty clear at this point that Davidson is a very strong team. They played right with UNC, Duke, UCLA and other major conference teams, have played great in the tourney. I don't think it's comparable to some of these surprise miracle runs... they didn't just skirt by and get hot in the tourney, they blew out their conference.... had a lot of 20-30 point wins, just like a team like KU or Georgetown would probably have in their conference. I expect KU to win this game, but you'd have a hard time convincing me Davidson isn't as good as any 3-5 seeded team in this tournament. They just didn't get that kind of seed because of their conference.

irishjayhawk 03-29-2008 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 4655713)
IMO, the only blessing is Villanova (and maybe UNLV because they were a weak 8, but Kent State was a weak 9... but it's not like there are many 'strong' 8s or 9s). Villanova was down 18 to Clemson and Clemson choked (see Anti-Hawks, that's the proper use of the term). And even after Clemson choked, Villanova choked right back. The last few minutes was a chokefest. Then they play a Siena team that was apparently just happy to have won a game.

But, I digress. Kansas earned the game against Portland State. UNLV/Kent State was expected. Villanova was not, and Villanova didn't really do anything to get to the SS. Davidson has earned their spot in the EE, and they are hot, fearless and very dangerous. I personally would rather play them over Georgetown or Wisconsin because it'll be more entertaining, not because I fear one over the other two.

Thank you. :D

Well, I'm off to see the Brigade... I heard they gave up 90+ points last week. :doh!:

Wow, I totally missed that he included the 8 seed. :)

And he included the 16 seed.

I guess in his world being the #1 seed doesn't gain you advantages.

ChiefsFanatic 03-29-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 4655626)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655640)

Roy had 2 Final Fours in his first 5 years. There is no comparison.

ChiefsFanatic 03-29-2008 12:22 PM

Also, I just realized that in 10 years, Bill Self has more Elite Eights, 5, than the entire history of Mizzou basketball, 4. Wow.

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4655733)
Roy had 2 Final Fours in his first 5 years. There is no comparison.

Roy went 132-37 his first 5 years. Self is 139-32 so far with games left. That's 81% to 78% advantage Self.

ChiefsFanatic 03-29-2008 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655751)
Roy went 132-37 his first 5 years. Self is 139-32 so far with games left. That's 81% to 78% advantage Self.

And you would trade those 7 more wins, and 5 less losses for the two Final Fours Roy went to? I don't think so.

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4655755)
And you would trade those 7 more wins, and 5 less losses for the two Final Fours Roy went to? I don't think so.

The point is there was no dropoff when Self took over. Our winning %age went up, not down. Making the FF involves a lot of luck with matchups and isn't a good indicator of success

ChiefsFanatic 03-29-2008 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655772)
Making the FF involves a lot of luck with matchups and isn't a good indicator of success

In 1991 Roy beat Arkansas the 1 seed, North Carolina the 1 seed, Indiana the 2 seed, to get to the Final Four. In 1993 they beat Indiana the 1 seed to make the Final Four.

In 2004 Self lost to 3 seed Georgia Tech, but we were the 4 seed. Last year as the 1 seed, we lost to UCLA the 2 seed.

I hate Roy, the backstabbing-pretending-to-be-a-good-guy-phony, but the fact is he did a better job in his first five years than Self has done. That winning percentage differential is garbage.

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4655816)
In 1991 Roy beat Arkansas the 1 seed, North Carolina the 1 seed, Indiana the 2 seed, to get to the Final Four. In 1993 they beat Indiana the 1 seed to make the Final Four.

In 2004 Self lost to 3 seed Georgia Tech, but we were the 4 seed. Last year as the 1 seed, we lost to UCLA the 2 seed.

I hate Roy, the backstabbing-pretending-to-be-a-good-guy-phony, but the fact is he did a better job in his first five years than Self has done. That winning percentage differential is garbage.

Yeah winning more games than your opponent is garbage. Self tried that stupid Hi-Lo for 2 years till he wised up. And still managed to win more than Roy. Plus Self is 15 years younger. No comparison.

ChiefsFanatic 03-29-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655836)
Yeah winning more games than your opponent is garbage. Self tried that stupid Hi-Lo for 2 years till he wised up. And still managed to win more than Roy. Plus Self is 15 years younger. No comparison.

He took over a team that went to back-to-back final fours (yes roy took over the national championship team, but talent wise there is no comparison) And I think you are the ONLY KU fan that would trade 7 more wins and 5 less losses for TWO FINAL FOURS.

I mean, really, I understand your point, but you seriously can't keep sticking to the point about more overall victories (7) being more important than Final Four appearances, can you? It is not like Self has won 25 more games, it is 7 more, with 2 less Final Fours.

Please, take a moment and ask yourself, would you seriously trade those 2 Final Four appearances for 7 more wins.

Braincase 03-29-2008 01:14 PM

I asked Roy to start this thread in the KU/Nova thread because of the karma factor. I know what happens when he starts the thread, and I know what hapens when I start the thread (I won't be starting another game thread for a LONG time, and then it'll be against Pittsburg State or Washburn).

I didn't want to take a chance that some freak would try and start an unsanctioned game thread. So sue me...

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4655844)
He took over a team that went to back-to-back final fours (yes roy took over the national championship team, but talent wise there is no comparison) And I think you are the ONLY KU fan that would trade 7 more wins and 5 less losses for TWO FINAL FOURS.

I mean, really, I understand your point, but you seriously can't keep sticking to the point about more overall victories (7) being more important than Final Four appearances, can you? It is not like Self has won 25 more games, it is 7 more, with 2 less Final Fours.

Please, take a moment and ask yourself, would you seriously trade those 2 Final Four appearances for 7 more wins.

What good did those FF do us? Roy NEVER won it all for us. Self has a long time left to do it. I don't understand why anybody would want Roy back over Self. That is what this dicussion started about.

kstater 03-29-2008 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 4655816)

Not to rain on your parade, but wouldn't it be darn near impossible to beat two 1 seeds on the way to the final four?

KCChiefsMan 03-29-2008 01:48 PM

it will be interesting to see how we handle Curry, he's obviously an amazing college basketball player. He played really well against a very tough Wisconsin D. I think we'll be able to out match them so we'll see.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 4655893)
it will be interesting to see how we handle Curry, he's obviously an amazing college basketball player. He played really well against a very tough Wisconsin D. I think we'll be able to out match them so we'll see.

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

KU has the experience to handle one man teams. Durant last year and Beasley this year.

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655917)
KU has the experience to handle one man teams. Durant last year and Beasley this year.

:clap: WOW Skippy actually post something logical and meaningful.

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan (Post 4655893)

Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

I was worried about Reynolds last night, Well that wasnt much of a worry..

Curry is good, but can they go 8-9 deep all game long?

Chiefs Pantalones 03-29-2008 02:15 PM

If we don't win the Championship this year, I'm gonna be ****ing pissed.

All of my teams suck and I can't take another failure of a season from one of my teams.

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 4655936)

All of my teams suck and I can't take another failure of a season from one of my teams.

QFT

Royals? ROFL

Chiefs? ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Jayhawks?:clap:

bango 03-29-2008 02:53 PM

GO KU. I hope that they run Davidson right off the court. After what Davidson did to my team on Friday Night I hope they are taught a lesson that they will never forget. It would be nice to see a team hold Curry to under twenty points too. I am fully behind KU all the way from here on out.

Skip Towne 03-29-2008 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 4655933)
:clap: WOW Skippy actually post something logical and meaningful.

You should try it.

Lzen 03-29-2008 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 4655864)
Not to rain on your parade, but wouldn't it be darn near impossible to beat two 1 seeds on the way to the final four?

Good catch. I think what he meant was that in 1991 as the 3 seed, KU beat Indiana, the 2 seed, in the Sweet Sixteen. Then they beat Arkansas, the 1 seed, in the regional final (Elite Eight) for the right to go to the Final Four. In the Final Four they beat North Carolina, the 1 seed, to reach the National Championship game. They lost to Duke, a 2 seed, in that game.

The other part about "In 1993 they beat Indiana the 1 seed to make the Final Four" is true.

Source:
http://www.sportsline.com/collegebas...ory/yearbyyear

RealSNR 03-29-2008 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bango (Post 4656019)
GO KU. I hope that they run Davidson right off the court. After what Davidson did to my team on Friday Night I hope they are taught a lesson that they will never forget. It would be nice to see a team hold Curry to under twenty points too. I am fully behind KU all the way from here on out.

You need to talk to StcChieffan so he can talk some sense into you. Don't you know that KU is da debbil?

Brock 03-29-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanilla Thunder (Post 4655936)

You're most likely gonna be ****ing pissed then.

Reerun_KC 03-29-2008 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 4656074)
You're most likely gonna be ****ing pissed then.

Says MU fan, whom has never been to the final four...

ChiefsFanatic 03-29-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 4655850)
What good did those FF do us? Roy NEVER won it all for us. Self has a long time left to do it. I don't understand why anybody would want Roy back over Self. That is what this dicussion started about.

You are right, he NEVER won it for us, but so far Self has NEVER won it for us. I do not want Roy back, and I am glad that Self is our coach. Really. But my simple point was that at this POINT in their KU Careers, Roy had done a better job.

I hope Self stays a long time, and experiences many FFs and many Championships. (as any KU fan would)

ChiefsFanatic 03-29-2008 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 4655864)

You are right. They beat the second number 1 in the Final Four.