ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft I guess this means Gholston is a Chief? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=183406)

kcfan82 04-22-2008 09:39 PM

I guess this means Gholston is a Chief?

Fine by me....

http://www.ncaagridirongab.com/wp-co...holston-50.jpg

http://photo.the-ozone.net/photos/20...01-FB-0080.jpg

http://media.2theadvocate.com/images...ton_121707.jpg

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 09:42 PM

He is one cock diesel motherfucker. Probably can't even wipe his own ass.

Sure-Oz 04-22-2008 09:43 PM

good god is that david boston?

Fish 04-22-2008 09:44 PM

:shake:

BigRock 04-22-2008 09:44 PM

Call me crazy, I don't think we take him if he's there. Herm is all about film and not the workouts (see Tamba), and that's the big knock on Gholston: his workouts are great and his film is iffy.

Plus, people seem to think he's better suited for a 3-4 for whatever reason.

Mecca 04-22-2008 09:44 PM

It's possible, he'd be a monster in this defense.

PastorMikH 04-22-2008 09:45 PM

Got this from ESPN about him...

Quote:

It can get frustrating studying Gholston on film because he's inconsistent. There are times when he is flat-out dominant and there are other times that he will disappear.

If this is accurate, he'll fit in well here.

kcfan82 04-22-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRock (Post 4701472)
Call me crazy, I don't think we take him if he's there. Herm is all about film and not the workouts (see Tamba), and that's the big knock on Gholston: his workouts are great and his film is iffy.

Plus, people seem to think he's better suited for a 3-4 for whatever reason.

I hear you there.......

But my Michigan friend said that he is the only DE this year he saw lay an ass whipping on Jake Long and we need to replace a DE.

Deberg_1990 04-22-2008 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PastorMikH (Post 4701478)
Got this from ESPN about him...

If this is accurate, he'll fit in well here.

Sounds alot like Jared Allen.

Mecca 04-22-2008 09:48 PM

Well Herms number 1 thing is motivation so if you believe in Herm that means you believe he can turn Gholston into everything he can be because he has all the physical.

Personally Gholston to me will be very similar to what John Abraham was with the Jets under Herm.

KCChiefsMan 04-22-2008 09:48 PM

I wouldn't be upset if we got him. I think I'd rather take him than Ellis.

Mecca 04-22-2008 09:49 PM

Actually to rephrase I think he's more physically gifted then Abraham is but a similar style I should say.

Friendo 04-22-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4701458)
He is one cock diesel motherfucker. Probably can't even wipe his own ass.

ROFLROFL

kcfan82 04-22-2008 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701499)
Well Herms number 1 thing is motivation so if you believe in Herm that means you believe he can turn Gholston into everything he can be because he has all the physical.

Personally Gholston to me will be very similar to what John Abraham was with the Jets under Herm.

Abraham was riddled with injuries early on, but he did make the pro bowl. I'll take that, considering you can't predict injuries.

Mecca 04-22-2008 09:56 PM

I'm being lowsided honestly, Vernon Gholstons physical upside is Bruce Smith but I don't want to lay that comparison on someone.

Mr. Arrowhead 04-22-2008 10:00 PM

Merriman look a like

melbar 04-22-2008 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfan82 (Post 4701484)
I hear you there.......

But my Michigan friend said that he is the only DE this year he saw lay an ass whipping on Jake Long and we need to replace a DE.

He got 1 sack. Not exactly an a-- whipping. He disappeared against lesser talent. The question would be can we get him to play all the time. He's nonexistant in the 4th quarter. Maybe he should spend a little more of that gym time on cardio...

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:04 PM

Gholston is a better athlete than Merriman. It's not really even that close.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4701590)
He got 1 sack. Not exactly an a-- whipping. He disappeared against lesser talent. The question would be can we get him to play all the time. He's nonexistant in the 4th quarter. Maybe he should spend a little more of that gym time on cardio...

Isn't that the same kind of stuff this guy we are trading does that everyone loves?

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4701594)
Gholston is a better athlete than Merriman. It's not really even that close.

That's an easy call, you'll never find a player at that position more athletic than Gholston..

Oh other thing about him, I'm pretty sure he's dedicated to being in shape and not sitting in the bar...

melbar 04-22-2008 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701561)
I'm being lowsided honestly, Vernon Gholstons physical upside is Bruce Smith but I don't want to lay that comparison on someone.

What has he done to be compared to Bruce Smith!?! I guess you could say the same about any player that hasnt yet played a down in the NFL. Draft him on his potential to step up his game at the next level.:rolleyes:

dj56dt58 04-22-2008 10:06 PM

Using a first on a DE to replace Allen would be stupid..maybe if we plan on using him at linebacker..

I say we take Ryan or Dorsey and OL at 17

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4701600)
What has he done to be compared to Bruce Smith!?! I guess you could say the same about any player that hasnt yet played a down in the NFL. Draft him on his potential to step up his game at the next level.:rolleyes:

He had 14 sacks in a BCS conference, for one.

Not only can the guy play, but Scott Steiner even called him the one true genetic freak.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

You didn't read my comment right did you?

Reread it and let it register.

melbar 04-22-2008 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701595)
Isn't that the same kind of stuff this guy we are trading does that everyone loves?

Allen made big plays when we needed it. He always brings it. Gholston doesnt. But hey, I hope if we end up with him Herm can light a fire under his but. Shouldnt have to do that for a pick this high...

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4701611)
He had 14 sacks in a BCS conference, for one.

Not only can the guy play, but Scott Steiner even called him the one true genetic freak.

I don't think he understands what "physical upside" means.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 4701608)
Using a first on a DE to replace Allen would be stupid..maybe if we plan on using him at linebacker..

I say we take Ryan or Dorsey and OL at 17

BPA doesn't stand for Best Position Available...

Vernon Gholston is the kind of athlete you see maybe once a decade.

kcfan82 04-22-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4701590)

I'm just taking a Michigan fans word on it, I assume Long didn't give up many sacks this year?

At 6'4 260, with a 4.65 forty, 37 reps in the banch, and 35 inch vertical it's worth a shot if there isn't a an OT with as much upside.

OnTheWarpath15 04-22-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4701615)
Allen made big plays when we needed it. He always brings it. Gholston doesnt. But hey, I hope if we end up with him Herm can light a fire under his but. Shouldnt have to do that for a pick this high...

Where was Allen in the 4th quarter of the Green Bay game.

What about the ENTIRE home game against the Raiders?

That's just 2 games off the top of my head....

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:10 PM

I'm just trying to understand why you wouldn't want a guy who is stronger than any other person in this draft, faster than every single person he'll line up against, and has produced at a high level against top notch competition.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:10 PM

This is what I say about Gholston, everyone always wants another Derrick Thomas here, athletically speaking this guy is as close as you are gonna get to another DT.

kcfan82 04-22-2008 10:10 PM

Quote:

Bruce Smith was 295 lbs and around 6 percent body fat, he was referring to physical potential.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfan82 (Post 4701631)
Bruce Smith was 295 lbs and around 6 percent body fat, he was referring to physical potential.

Thank you, I'm glad most people understand what I meant.

melbar 04-22-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701614)
You didn't read my comment right did you?

Reread it and let it register.

And...?

So what if you dont want to lay it on him, you still mentioned him in the same sentence with one of the best DE's to play the game because of his physical ability. Physical stats dont make you Bruce Smith.

Bruce wasnt a workout star who didnt back it up with his production.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4701635)
And...?

So what if you dont want to lay it on him, you still mentioned him in the same sentence with one of the best DE's to play the game because of his physical ability. Physical stats dont make you Bruce Smith.

Bruce wasnt a workout star who didnt back it up with his production.

What part of 14 motherfucking sacks in 13 games in the Big Ten doesn't register in your skull?

CHIEF4EVER 04-22-2008 10:13 PM

Carl is too stupid to take Gholston.

dj56dt58 04-22-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4701618)
BPA doesn't stand for Best Position Available...

Vernon Gholston is the kind of athlete you see maybe once a decade.

it would be like trading allen for 2 3rd rounders

Stupid imo

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:14 PM

Gholston obviously doesn't perform even though he put up 14 sacks and beat everyones man crush Jake Long....

Gholston is obviously a nobody when LSU's entire offensive gameplan was designed to take him out. They weren't worried about Laurenitis or Jenkins the entire gameplan was based on Gholston.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dj56dt58 (Post 4701647)

Stupid imo

Gholston can be better than Allen, and more dedicated and not create off the field problems....

You don't just not take a DE because you traded Allen.

keg in kc 04-22-2008 10:15 PM

I hope he proves me wrong if we draft him, but I don't see Gholston as top-5 calibre. He'd be a risky pick. He's got all the measurables, but I'm not sold on him as a football player, as opposed to an athlete.

Brock 04-22-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Stupid imo

I like Jared Allen, but he was no Derrick Thomas. Gholston has a chance to be that, IMO.

CHIEF4EVER 04-22-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701653)
Gholston can be better than Allen, and more dedicated and not create off the field problems....

You don't just not take a DE because you traded Allen.

I agree. If he is there when we pick we should be sprinting to the Commish with this pick.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Stupid imo

:spock:

If the Chiefs took Gholston at 5 even with Allen, it'd be a good pick. If they cloned Jared Allen, had him play both end spots and STILL took him, it'd be a good pick.

You can't play with only two ends. You need at least three, and they split time about evenly. Ask the Giants how unimportant Justin Tuck is to them.

You pay less money for a younger player with less risk, more upside, and you gain three picks out of the deal.

Stop with the Jr. Siavii, position-based, school of drafting.

melbar 04-22-2008 10:18 PM

There are tons of guys with big muscles, it doesnt make them Hall of famers. Theres a couple of big guys at my gym too, but it doesnt effect their ability to play football. Guys still have to be football players. Bruce was also a lot bigger if you want to talk physical. This guy aint Bruce Smith. C Long is universally considered better. Gholston is seen by most as a 3-4 guy. Not a cover 2 guy.

Again, he's talented, and could take the next step, but most of the hype is because of the combine and those pics at the top of the page. Every guy out there says the film doesnt back up the hype.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4701656)
I hope he proves me wrong if we draft him, but I don't see Gholston as top-5 calibre. He'd be a risky pick. He's got all the measurables, but I'm not sold on him as a football player, as opposed to an athlete.

Does he need to put up 25 sacks for you to be sold?

the Talking Can 04-22-2008 10:18 PM

Quote:

Stupid imo

no

its like trading him for a 1st and 2 thirds....jesus christ people....

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 4701656)

To paraphrase Don Francis, honestly, how many sacks would have been enough? 100? A thousand? Give us a number so we won't annoy you again... ;)

cdcox 04-22-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701628)
This is what I say about Gholston, everyone always wants another Derrick Thomas here, athletically speaking this guy is as close as you are gonna get to another DT.

I don't know what DT's numbers were, but I see this guy as a half-step slower, but way stronger than DT. If people were convinced he could translate that talent into performance, he'd go #1 without any questions asked.

melbar 04-22-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4701637)
What part of 14 motherfucking sacks in 13 games in the Big Ten doesn't register in your skull?

Great. Long had as many and several other guys had more. Doesnt make them top 5 picks for a cover 2 team. Are sack stats all that register in your skull?

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4701667)
There are tons of guys with big muscles, it doesnt make them Hall of famers. Theres a couple of big guys at my gym too, but it doesnt effect their ability to play football. Guys still have to be football players. Bruce was also a lot bigger if you want to talk physical. This guy aint Bruce Smith. C Long is universally considered better. Gholston is seen by most as a 3-4 guy. Not a cover 2 guy.

Again, he's talented, and could take the next step, but most of the hype is because of the combine and those pics at the top of the page. Every guy out there says the film doesnt back up the hype.

It must just be me but I don't love Chris Long, I don't think he'll bust but there is a legit chance that he'll only be a solid player that records is 7-10 sacks a year but never dominates.

tk13 04-22-2008 10:20 PM

I actually agree with Mecca, if we ended up with Gholston and Groves, that right there probably make a good draft. I think a rotation of Gholston/Groves/Hali could be pretty strong.... it would mask a lot of other defensive problems... just like the Giants big 3 pass rushers do.

And we'd still have so many picks left over, we would still have the chance to legitimately draft an average to above-average starting LT and RT.

Brock 04-22-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701679)
It must just be me but I don't love Chris Long, I don't think he'll bust but there is a legit chance that he'll only be a solid player that records is 7-10 sacks a year but never dominates.

I think he'll be a very solid 10 year player, just like his old man.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Vernon Gholston is a prototypical Cover 2 end. He is undersized and fast as hell. He's as big as Dwight Freeney, stronger, and faster, and he was a better college player.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 4701682)
I actually agree with Mecca, if we ended up with Gholston and Groves, that right there probably make a good draft. I think a rotation of Gholston/Groves/Hali could be pretty strong.... it would mask a lot of other defensive problems... just like the Giants big 3 pass rushers do.

And we'd still have so many picks left over, we would still have the chance to legitimately draft an average to above-average starting LT and RT.

Gholston and Groves would be outstanding they are prototypes for this defense.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 4701676)
Great. Long had as many and several other guys had more. Doesnt make them top 5 picks for a cover 2 team. Are sack stats all that register in your skull?

If the guy was a great player in college and has all the tools you need to succeed in the pros, what about that doesn't scream elite prospect.

Bill Parcells will rue the motherfucking day he passed on Vernon Gholston. I guarantee it.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4701685)
Vernon Gholston is a prototypical Cover 2 end. He is undersized and fast as hell. He's as big as Dwight Freeney, stronger, and faster, and he was a better college player.

22 .5 sacks in the last 2 years 30.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage what a bum

That Vernon he's just a workout warrior he never produced eh? Some people just see numbers and don't realize he has the ridiculous natural talent and production.

kcfan82 04-22-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

He also ran a 4.65 and had a vertical jump of 35 inches, ask the 260 lb guys at your gym if they can do that :)

He's a right defensive end which means stay at home on the run and pin your ears back and kill the QB on a pass, not really the toughest posistion to play outside of beating the man in front of you.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-22-2008 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701694)
22 .5 sacks in the last 2 years 30.5 tackles behind the line of scrimmage what a bum

That Vernon he's just a workout warrior he never produced eh? Some people just see numbers and don't realize he has the ridiculous natural talent and production.

That's why I chose him at #1.

cdcox 04-22-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 4701684)
I think he'll be a very solid 10 year player, just like his old man.

Yeah, they put solid 10 year players in the hall every year.

SBK 04-22-2008 10:25 PM

Ok, I've changed my mind. I'm totally cool with Gholston. I never figured he'd be around for our pick, but you never know.....

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 4701706)
That's why I chose him at #1.

I think they should have gone with him 1st too.....

Brock 04-22-2008 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 4701707)
Yeah, they put solid 10 year players in the hall every year.

WTF, did I not kiss his ass enough for you?

melbar 04-22-2008 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701679)

I guess we're just on opposite sides of the fence on this one. I think Long would be a better pick for a number of reasons. Character, intelligence, motor, etc. He also had just as many sacks as VG. Gholston is a Physical specimen who could be very good if he could be more consistent. I think most of the "experts" hold the same opinion. I just dont think he's a cover 2 guy either.

JBucc 04-22-2008 10:28 PM

Gholston could be good coming off the edge in a cover 2. I don't think he has the moves of a Freeney but is stronger. Not my first, or second choice but I wouldn't complain.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:29 PM

How does Gholston have character flaws? And now he's dumb too?

We don't know these men for all you know Gholston is a great guy who's smart.

cdcox 04-22-2008 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 4701715)
WTF, did I not kiss his ass enough for you?

Acturally, if you'd called him a cheating one who sucks the penis, I'd been okay with it.

melbar 04-22-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcfan82 (Post 4701701)
He also ran a 4.65 and had a vertical jump of 35 inches, ask the 260 lb guys at your gym if they can do that :)

He's a right defensive end which means stay at home on the run and pin your ears back and kill the QB on a pass, not really the toughest posistion to play outside of beating the man in front of you.

Thats my point. He doesnt anchor well against the run, and he takes plays and games off. Just being a physical specimen doesnt make him a great NFL player. You got to give it every play and in his college career he didnt do that consistantly speed and muscles or not.

suds79 04-22-2008 10:32 PM

Not quite certain if Gholston is my 1st choice but from what I see all the draft experts call him the best pure pass rusher in this draft so I'd be okay with it.

Mr. Arrowhead 04-22-2008 10:32 PM

I think im on the Gholston Bandwagon now, the more i think about. This guy is just a beast

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:32 PM

Gholston actually plays the run pretty well, better than most pass rushers, he plays on the right side for christ sake the strong side end.

Tribal Warfare 04-22-2008 10:32 PM

remember what Herm said at the predraft presser, he also looks at guys who have intangibles that can dictate a game. There are reports that Gholston lack motiivation, thus II wouldn't select him if he was available due to that.Personally, I would pass on Gholston, because of the bust factor.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:33 PM

I think it's funny that people think he needs 25 sacks to prove that "he was productive"

DJ_is_the_realdeal 04-22-2008 10:34 PM

You guys don't think Ellis would be a great first pick? You can put Turk and Tamba on the outside with Ellis and Tank in the middle. Im excited about this draft. We have a lot of picks in the early rounds. I know alot of you dont like Herm's coaching style but the man has an eye for talent.

keg in kc 04-22-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701669)
Does he need to put up 25 sacks for you to be sold?

It would probably help if he didn't go to Ohio State. It would take maybe 1000 sacks to get over my sheer level of loathing for that program.

Like I said, Gholston strikes me as more of a physical specimen than a football player. That doesn't mean he can't develop into one, but I see him as somebody who's going to have to work a great deal on his technique, his recognition of both blocking and plays and just his overall understanding of the game. He's not going to be able to depend solely on his athletic ability in the pros. And that's exactly what I think he did in college.

Which is why I think it would be a risk at 5. But, hey, I don't spend a billion hours going over every play he ran his entire college career, which is why it won't bother me a bit if the Chiefs take him. I'm not the kind of guy who can fool himself into thinking he's even in the same galaxy as a pro scouting staff when it comes to knowledge of these players, or projection of what they'll be down the road.

Pablo 04-22-2008 10:35 PM

I'm all about it. I'm already over JA, just thinking of the monstrous beast this guy is. If anyone actually watched OSU football consistently they'd realize what an amazing disruption this guy can be..he can totally dominate the line,and he's just a freak...he's a super-human beastman ready to skullf*** the AFC West.

beach tribe 04-22-2008 10:35 PM

Gholston, Ellis, or Long are fine by me.

I like the "playing HOFer daddy's team after being snubbed by them" story twice a year.
He would make them pay.

Mecca 04-22-2008 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_is_the_realdeal (Post 4701749)
You guys don't think Ellis would be a great first pick? You can put Turk and Tamba on the outside with Ellis and Tank in the middle. Im excited about this draft. We have a lot of picks in the early rounds. I know alot of you dont like Herm's coaching style but the man has an eye for talent.

For a cover 2 Turk is more suited to be in the middle...

Gholston can be an elite pass rusher and I suspect he will be one, for a cover 2 I'm going to say that Gholston can rival and possibly be better than Simeon Rice was in Tampa.

melbar 04-22-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 4701727)
How does Gholston have character flaws? And now he's dumb too?

We don't know these men for all you know Gholston is a great guy who's smart.

I didnt say he had character flaws or that he isnt smart. Having grown up with a pro-bowl father his football IQ both on the field and in the locker room has been sited as one of his strong suites. Gholston may be a great guy, but those things arent touted as his strengths like they are for Long.

beach tribe 04-22-2008 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ_is_the_realdeal (Post 4701749)

Ellis is the only one that I belive to be a sure fire Impact player,

I see Chris as a rock. Very good for a long time, but not a superstar.

Gholston is BOOOM, or bust. I would bet on boom, but he scares me.

BTW Herm's eye for talent seems to be more myth than anything. Maybe it's because it's what HE"S best at, but from the pure draft record he's far from the best at it.

kcfan82 04-22-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoRox88 (Post 4701756)
I'm all about it. I'm already over JA, just thinking of the monstrous beast this guy is. If anyone actually watched OSU football consistently they'd realize what an amazing disruption this guy can be..he can totally dominate the line,and he's just a freak...he's a super-human beastman ready to skullf*** the AFC West.

That pretty much sums up my opinion....