ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football ***OFFICIAL*** High School Football Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=190023)

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 10:59 AM

***OFFICIAL*** High School Football Thread

I thought this would be a good idea, keep all the High school football talk in one place and make it easier to find. A place to discuss how your teams doing, your cousins, nephew etc team is doing. Bad idea? just let it drop.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 11:03 AM

My son will play for the Class 4A Mo. State champs Lees Summit West Titans this fall. My son's football class beat the Rockhurst sophmore’s at Rockhurst last year. LSW School is only 5 years old and has gone to the state playoffs every year. They are hoping the team is ready to move up and play the big boys because this year we were moved up to 5A.

Tough schedule this year. We have to open up on the road at Blue Springs tommorrow night and our final 3 district games are at Belton, Raymore Peculiar at home and then a road trip down to Springfield where we play Glendale.

He’s 6’2” 230 lbs as a 16 year old but he’s still on the small side of their line that averages 6”21/2” 250 lbs. He will start on the Junior Varsity. He will also dress and sub on the Varsity team on Friday evenings. It’s a huge line on both sides of the ball. They have guys with Notre Dame Scholarships already accepted, guys who can do 28 reps in the 225 lb bench press etc. Tough line up to crack

They are currently ranked #3 in the Metro Sports poll and # 19 in Rivals Top 20 teams in the heartland(Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa etc.)
]http://highschool.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=460
#13 Rockhurst
#15 Blue Springs south
#19 Lee's Summit West<O:p</O:p

Demonpenz 08-28-2008 11:08 AM

Jesus. I am a big boy and I could only get 235 5 or 6 times in high school and my back was arched like a mug. That is some maulers

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 4953129)
Jesus. I am a big boy and I could only get 235 5 or 6 times in high school and my back was arched like a mug. That is some maulers

They are the biggest and best O-Line I've ever seen at the high school level. The only senior is the Notre Dame scholorship player. One is a freshmen, One sophmore and two juniors.

Metro sports had a high school season opener show and it showed our starting DT lifting weights. He holds the Mo. State shot put record.

The starting middle linebacker has already committed to Mizzou over Michigan, Florida, Oklahoma etc.

ChiefsCountry 08-28-2008 11:14 AM

The Bears signed a DE who played for Lee's Summit West last year - Kelly I think is last name. He is suppose to be a beast.

Demonpenz 08-28-2008 11:14 AM

Insane how big and fast they have gotten in 10 years since I played. Ahh a back in the day story.....Back in the day 99' it seemed like you could run the sweep and it was open every time because no one was fast enough. Now you got backers that can fill and run from AAA and up. It does make the game easier to watch on TV atleast.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4953140)
The Bears signed a DE who played for Lee's Summit West last year - Kelly I think is last name. He is suppose to be a beast.

We had a DL stud from Marionville high school down your way move up here to play at LSW instead of his podock school so he can get a D1 free ride.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 4953141)
Insane how big and fast they have gotten in 10 years since I played. Ahh a back in the day story.....Back in the day 99' it seemed like you could run the sweep and it was open every time because no one was fast enough. Now you got backers that can fill and run from AAA and up. It does make the game easier to watch on TV atleast.

Blue Springs South vs. Rockhurst on ESPN (the main channel) at 11:00 am Saturday. Thats pretty big time.

KCrockaholic 08-28-2008 11:20 AM

how bout Harrisonville?

Demonpenz 08-28-2008 11:27 AM

damn that is big time. For you MIAA fans from Gogriffons.com I guess all MIAA games can now be seen via webcast. That isn't espn. Football is king in america

chief52 08-28-2008 11:27 AM

You guys are talking some big time football. I do love high school football. I am headed out tomorrow for a 5 hour drive to film for my old high school team...Ferndale High. We won the North Coast Section Class A ( Ca. ) last season. I travel to film the next week's opponent as often as I can. If it helps the team, I can make the time. My cousin is the head coach.

It truly is a great thing to participate in. We live in a small town ( 1300 ) with a small enrollment ( about 175 ). When the Wildcats play, the entire town is there dressed in Red and White. There is an amazing tradition. 4 generations of my family have now played football there.

ChiefsCountry 08-28-2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953143)
We had a DL stud from Marionville high school down your way move up here to play at LSW instead of his podock school so he can get a D1 free ride.

Thats intresting because Marionville has been the top Class 1 program in the state.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4953202)
Thats intresting because Marionville has been the top Class 1 program in the state.

If you have dreams of the NFL and Div 1 football would you want to play Class 1 or Class 5 High School football?

chief52 08-28-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953125)
[COLOR=#333333]
They are currently ranked #3 in the Metro Sports poll and # 19 in Rivals Top 20 teams in the heartland(Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Iowa etc.)
]http://highschool.rivals.com/viewrankhs.asp?ra_key=460
#13 Rockhurst
#15 Blue Springs south
#19 Lee's Summit West<O:p</O:p

fyi

Maxpreps' list of the nation's top teams lists

Rockhurst #10...Lee's Summit West #40...Blue Springs South #148

http://www.maxpreps.com/national/foo...urpath=%2clist

ChiefsCountry 08-28-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953213)
If you have dreams of the NFL and Div 1 football would you want to play Class 1 or Class 5 High School football?

True. But just to play devil's advocate - Mizzou started 4 offensive lineman from Class 1 schools last year. But yeah a big school would be alot better shot for sure. How did all that talent get into Lee's Summit? North and Lee's Summit never were powerhouses at all.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4953218)
How did all that talent get into Lee's Summit? North and Lee's Summit never were powerhouses at all.

Lee's Summit parents, officials and boosters were tired of getting their butts kicked by the Blue Springs teams and wanted to play with the big boys so when the new school opened up they decided to do something different. Private fundraisers and a charitable board to raise money for the football program.

They have some really rich people that live in the district and wanted a first class football program to go with the districts highly rated academics. LSW football has state of the art training facilities. Their weight room is a massive as any clubs. They have 13 that’s right 13 paid football coaches on staff. 2 professional and certified trainers on staff and at every practrice. 3 football fields with goal posts to practice on. State of the art practice sleds, shoulder pads, helmets etc..

They will travel to away games on charted greyhound buses. The players all have matching equipment bags etc. LSW will eventually have facilities just like Rockhurst and Blue Springs . All paid for with private money.

The charity had an auction fundraiser a couple of weeks ago. They raised $27,000 in one night for the football program. My wife even won a ˝ carat diamond in a raffle.

Valiant 08-28-2008 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4953218)
True. But just to play devil's advocate - Mizzou started 4 offensive lineman from Class 1 schools last year. But yeah a big school would be alot better shot for sure. How did all that talent get into Lee's Summit? North and Lee's Summit never were powerhouses at all.

Probably with some private fund raising money that went into the parents pocket to move up there.. Hell with the housing market right now, a house could have a nice down payment on it...

If a school will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on football they will spend money on paying players parents to transfer there..

Prometheus 08-28-2008 12:32 PM

Go Blue Springs!

Dartgod 08-28-2008 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953125)
...and our final 3 district games are at Belton, Raymore Peculiar at home...

Belton is sooo going to kick your ass! :p

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prometheus (Post 4953255)
Go Blue Springs!

Your going down tommorrow.%(/

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4953259)

I thought you were a closet LSW fan?

Dartgod 08-28-2008 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953261)
I thought you were a closet LSW fan?

Yeah, somewhat. Some good friends son started at center for a couple of years. I grew up in LS too.

But my nephew started at RG for Belton last year, so by default I'm rooting for Belton over LSW.

Phobia 08-28-2008 12:43 PM

Our staff will be covering the BS/LSW game Friday night. Zach is our photog and Mr. Cayhill and myself will be between the sidelines/press box to cover the action. Should be a lot of fun.

Prometheus 08-28-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953260)
Your going down tommorrow.%(/

Pretty ironic that I'll be cheering against the Titans tomorrow night. LOL

Skip Towne 08-28-2008 12:52 PM

Three Tulsa schools in the top 12. All ahead of the KC schools. But it looks like the KC schools are finally learning how to cheat. Jenks and Union have it down to an art form.

POND_OF_RED 08-28-2008 12:53 PM

Anyone know how Blue Springs looks this year? I heard they have a pretty good running back but that's all I know. Might have to go check the game out tomorrow just to watch a bit of football. I haven't even seen the new field yet. I'm also interested in watching Dalton Sunday. Sucks they didn't have the old Blue Springs-Rockhurst games on national TV like that. That rivalry was something else. Sad to see Blue Springs has fallen off the past few years.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 4953251)
Probably with some private fund raising money that went into the parents pocket to move up there.. Hell with the housing market right now, a house could have a nice down payment on it...

If a school will spend 100's of thousands of dollars on football they will spend money on paying players parents to transfer there..

I'm a member of the Dad's club which has a lot of those rich Dad's in the club. I don't think thats happening at LSW. One reason is education.

A couple of months ago Money magazine declared the Lee's Summit school district the 7th best district in the nation.

Example....The top Divsion 1 recruit mentioned above is Catholic. His Dad has money. In the past he would have went to Rockhurst but because of the acedemics in the district he stayed at LSW.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4953274)
Our staff will be covering the BS/LSW game Friday night. Zach is our photog and Mr. Cayhill and myself will be between the sidelines/press box to cover the action. Should be a lot of fun.

Where in the hell is my press pass!:cuss:

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

LSW lost their top RB due to a broken leg at the scrimmage last week against Exclsior Springs. Their stud LB is suspended for the game because he got caught chewing tobacco. Going to see how deep they really are against Blue Springs.

Zman 08-28-2008 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953148)
Blue Springs South vs. Rockhurst on ESPN (the main channel) at 11:00 am Saturday. Thats pretty big time.

The game is Sunday at 11:00

Demonpenz 08-28-2008 01:29 PM

I hope all the stuff they get is good for the kids and it doesn't go to their heads. They may be "bad" now but unless you are top talent you will be back in the mix with everyone else. I am sure it is good though. Pride, fun, and drawing good teachers and all

Prometheus 08-28-2008 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953342)
LSW lost their top RB due to a broken leg at the scrimmage last week against Exclsior Springs. Their stud LB is suspended for the game because he got caught chewing tobacco. Going to see how deep they really are against Blue Springs.

Tough break for you, but good news for BS. Maybe my boy will be able to get to the QB a few times then, instead of having to focus so much on their ground game.

|Zach| 08-28-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SEA_OF_RED (Post 4953303)
Sad to see Blue Springs has fallen off the past few years.

Meh, the 3 best teams in the state are just sitting around in KC grouped together. Two of them in Blue Springs. Not everyone can get out of the west side of the state. Someone has to stay home. Usually it has been BS South...but not as much anymore. BS still has a ton of fire power.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prometheus (Post 4953418)
Tough break for you, but good news for BS. Maybe my boy will be able to get to the QB a few times then, instead of having to focus so much on their ground game.

Not so fast there.....They are pretty deep at RB and the QB can fly also.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 4953422)
Meh, the 3 best teams in the state are just sitting around in KC grouped together. Two of them in Blue Springs. Not everyone can get out of the west side of the state. Someone has to stay home. Usually it has been BS South...but not as much anymore. BS still has a ton of fire power.

We will see tommorrow LSW is ready to crash BS's personal party. After watching these guys I just don't see how your going to beat that O-line. In high school football especially if you have a great O-Line you can do anything.

|Zach| 08-28-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953432)
We will see tommorrow LSW is ready to crash BS's personal party. After watching these guys I just don't see how your going to beat that O-line. In high school football especially if you have a great O-Line you can do anything.

Quote:

Donohoe is known for his innovative offensive schemes, but he seems sold on the Wildcats defense.
“It might be the fastest unit we’ve ever had,” Donohoe said. “Now, I’m not talking about talent – because a lot of the guys are new – but when it comes to athleticism and speed, these guys might be the best we’ve had.”
http://www.examiner.net/sports/x4993...p-of-their-own

Prometheus 08-28-2008 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953428)
Not so fast there.....They are pretty deep at RB and the QB can fly also.

LOL I was just giving you a hard time. He's been holding his own against most players for two years now. He won't need any help.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 4953438)

Isn't this a conflict of interest? You being a Blue Springs guy covering the game for a LSW paper?:)

Too bad this isn't later in the year when both teams will be playing better.

Mr. Kotter 08-28-2008 02:16 PM

Quote:

Is your boy on that O-Line?

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Kotter (Post 4953507)
Is your boy on that O-Line?

He's a starter on the junior varsity team. He dress's and travels with the team as 2nd string on Varsity. He needs to put on about 20-30 pounds of muscle to crack that o-line. Every one of them will play D1 football. My son doesn't have D1 talent.....yet.

Mr. Kotter 08-28-2008 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953523)
He's a starter on the junior varisty team. He dress's and travels with the team as 2nd string on Varsity. He needs to put on about 20-30 pounds of muscle to crack that o-line. Every one of them will play D1 football. My son doesn't have D1 talent.....yet.

Well, unless he's a senior....he's got time. He's a big boy, so there's time and hope. As long as he's willing to work hard, he can put on that muscle. If his footwork is solid and he ain't "slow"---he'll get some looks. Personally, I'm of the opinion if a kid really wants to play college ball.....even if he can play division I, they should at least look at some non-Division I schools. For many, it can be a better fit (unless they are All-American candidates, in which case the trade-offs of Division I schools are probably worth it.)

MOhillbilly 08-28-2008 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 4953141)

in 92' the oline for our team averaged 260 and all of em benched over 300.

chief52 08-28-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953523)
He's a starter on the junior varsity team. He dress's and travels with the team as 2nd string on Varsity. He needs to put on about 20-30 pounds of muscle to crack that o-line. Every one of them will play D1 football. My son doesn't have D1 talent.....yet.

I will have to tivo this week's game. I can not imagine a high school football team with all 5 OL positions occupied by guys who are going to play D1. Hard for me to believe...but I have never seen them.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chief52 (Post 4953611)
I will have to tivo this week's game. I can not imagine a high school football team with all 5 OL positions occupied by guys who are going to play D1. Hard for me to believe...but I have never seen them.

2 of them already have firm D1 schlorships. Freshmen and sophmores are still too early but they are just as good as the two who already have them in hand.

ChiefsCountry 08-28-2008 03:45 PM

And Missouri now has a BS rule that two teams from each district makes the playoffs. I know its mainly for the super districts that have alot of teams but its going to dilute the playoffs in lot of ways. I guess it gives more kids a chance to experience state playoff football which is awesome if you never have gotten to play in them. That would be the only positive IMO.

BigRedChief 08-28-2008 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4953780)
And Missouri now has a BS rule that two teams from each district makes the playoffs. I know its mainly for the super districts that have alot of teams but its going to dilute the playoffs in lot of ways. I guess it gives more kids a chance to experience state playoff football which is awesome if you never have gotten to play in them. That would be the only positive IMO.

After talking with some of the Dad's club members they explained the rule change was because of upsets in the districts. Some team goes 10-0 has a bad night and then loses to a 4-6 team and they don't even make the playoffs. The team that beat them goes to the playoffs and gets smoked giving the other team an unfair advantage. I was told it was a wild card not the top two teams? But I'm new to these HS rules so I'm only repeating what I was told.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 09:09 AM

Quote:

Maybe I'll see you guys out there tonight?

|Zach| 08-29-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4956998)
Maybe I'll see you guys out there tonight?

I will look for you.

Looking forward to shooting tonight. Haven't done sports in a while especially football.

Sully 08-29-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4953228)
Lee's Summit parents, officials and boosters were tired of getting their butts kicked by the Blue Springs teams and wanted to play with the big boys so when the new school opened up they decided to do something different. Private fundraisers and a charitable board to raise money for the football program.

They have some really rich people that live in the district and wanted a first class football program to go with the districts highly rated academics. LSW football has state of the art training facilities. Their weight room is a massive as any clubs. They have 13 that’s right 13 paid football coaches on staff. 2 professional and certified trainers on staff and at every practrice. 3 football fields with goal posts to practice on. State of the art practice sleds, shoulder pads, helmets etc..

They will travel to away games on charted greyhound buses. The players all have matching equipment bags etc. LSW will eventually have facilities just like Rockhurst and Blue Springs . All paid for with private money.

The charity had an auction fundraiser a couple of weeks ago. They raised $27,000 in one night for the football program. My wife even won a ˝ carat diamond in a raffle.

I look forward to seeing how LSW does this year. I think they really lucked out the past few years with the districts and class they have been in, but I also know Coach Boehm is a pretty damn good coach.

Some of that article is not a big deal, though. I coach at another metro school, and we have 13 paid coaches, all the kids have matching travel bags, travel outfits, etc... and we don't have nearly the fundraising base that LSW does. So I'd just guess that most of that money goes into uniforms, facilities, and the greyhound busses.

Sully 08-29-2008 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4953259)

I played high school ball with Belton's new head coach.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 4957075)
I look forward to seeing how LSW does this year. I think they really lucked out the past few years with the districts and class they have been in, but I also know Coach Boehm is a pretty damn good coach.

Some of that article is not a big deal, though. I coach at another metro school, and we have 13 paid coaches, all the kids have matching travel bags, travel outfits, etc... and we don't have nearly the fundraising base that LSW does. So I'd just guess that most of that money goes into uniforms, facilities, and the greyhound busses.

I wouldn't consider it lucked out. The MHSSA deciedes your schedule and division you play in. You have no input.

I'm new to this level of high school football. I think we had like 5 coaches on my high school team. No bags and most equipment was very used.

Sully 08-29-2008 09:35 AM

Blue Springs' running back is going to be the real effing deal. I saw him play freshman ball last year, and he didn't even belong on the same field as the rest of the players. I think he's going to be ridiculously good.

Sully 08-29-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4957084)
I wouldn't consider it lucked out. The MHSSA deciedes your schedule and division you play in. You have no input.

Hence...luck.

I think LSW is going to be really good. They seem to have built the program correctly. They've had some former NFL players over there helping coach since they opened, right?

Anyhow, I'm also looking forward to seeing if Ray Pec can be as good now theat they are moving into BS and BSS's conference, too. That's a tough one to move into. But, also, some really great coaches and players, there.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 4957087)
Blue Springs' running back is going to be the real effing deal. I saw him play freshman ball last year, and he didn't even belong on the same field as the rest of the players. I think he's going to be ridiculously good.

I saw a freshmen RB at LSW scrimmage in Excelsior springs that reminded me of Tony Temple. Kind of on the small side but very quick and fast.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 4957099)
Hence...luck.

I think LSW is going to be really good. They seem to have built the program correctly. They've had some former NFL players over there helping coach since they opened, right?

Anyhow, I'm also looking forward to seeing if Ray Pec can be as good now theat they are moving into BS and BSS's conference, too. That's a tough one to move into. But, also, some really great coaches and players, there.

Tracy Seimen was there for 3 years. Another Chief player was there but I forget his name.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 09:43 AM

One thing that was different when I played was the "Pack the WAC" event. WAC= athletic lockers and coaches office by the football field)

The parents decorate the players lockers before their first game at all age groups. Print up posters with pics of them as youngsters, put candy and treats in the lockers etc.

Sully 08-29-2008 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4957102)
I saw a freshmen RB at LSW scrimmage in Excelsior springs that reminded me of Tony Temple. Kind of on the small side but very quick and fast.

This kid had size, speed, and ridiculous wiggle.
I'm telling you it seemed like the whole field was in super slow mo, while he was running. He'd stop and retrack on a dime, and it didn't even look like he was trying.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 4957122)
I'm telling you it seemed like the whole field was in super slow mo, while he was running. He'd stop and retrack on a dime, and it didn't even look like he was trying.

Its going to be fun watching him tonight.:clap:

Sully 08-29-2008 09:48 AM

Fort Osage should be interesting this year, too. They've got Krysa coming back, trying for a 3rd straight 2000 yard season, and they are in a new district, which on paper would seem an easier district for them (I think it's going to be a lot tougher on the field than it looks on paper). I'd pick them to make the playoffs, but wouldn't be surprised if they were the 3rd team in the district, either.

Sully 08-29-2008 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4957128)
Its going to be fun watching him tonight.:clap:

Yeah, you'll have to tell me if he looks as good at the varsity level.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 4957133)
Yeah, you'll have to tell me if he looks as good at the varsity level.

We don't have our Top LB(and mizzou committed) playing because of a suspension but it still should be a good test.

Dartgod 08-29-2008 09:17 PM

Quote:

Ouch!

Blue Springs 36
LS West 35

Skip Towne 08-29-2008 09:17 PM

Where is Pastor Mike? His town has a pretty nice little team.

Spott 08-29-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4959493)
Ouch!

Blue Springs 36
LS West 35

I must be getting old, because we used to call Longview Lee's Summit West back when I went to school there. I didn't even realize there was a LS West.

Valiant 08-29-2008 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 4957131)
Fort Osage should be interesting this year, too. They've got Krysa coming back, trying for a 3rd straight 2000 yard season, and they are in a new district, which on paper would seem an easier district for them (I think it's going to be a lot tougher on the field than it looks on paper). I'd pick them to make the playoffs, but wouldn't be surprised if they were the 3rd team in the district, either.

What district did they move too??

ChiefsCountry 08-29-2008 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spott (Post 4959536)
I must be getting old, because we used to call Longview Lee's Summit West back when I went to school there. I didn't even realize there was a LS West.

Its a new school. Cant remember when it came around I think 2004.

Phobia 08-29-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 4959493)
Ouch!

Blue Springs 36
LS West 35

That was a tough last 6:30 of football to watch. LS West up by a TD WITH the ball and they run 3 straight passes. 1st down = sack, 2nd down = completion for nominal gain, 3rd down = incomplete....

They ran about a minute off the clock. Their punt netted about 18 yards and then BS marched down and scored. They converted a 2 pt conversion and then LSW turned the ball over on downs to end the game.

I had the displeasure of asking the coach about the decision to run 3 passes when they should have been milking the clock.

Phobia 08-29-2008 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4959624)

Yeah, I think you're right. Maybe 03. It's pretty new though.

007 08-29-2008 10:44 PM

Couple more years and I will be paying a lot more attention to this. It will kill me to root for the Hayden Wildcats here in Topeka though. heh

Seaman High School Vikings all the way.

Pablo 08-29-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 4959797)
Couple more years and I will be paying a lot more attention to this. It will kill me to root for the Hayden Wildcats here in Topeka though. heh

Seaman High School Vikings all the way.

I ate the worst sandwich I've ever had at a Mr. Goodcent's in the Seaman area of Topeka.

Coincidence? Who knows. I ordered a chicken sandwich with white sauce...

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4959756)
That was a tough last 6:30 of football to watch. LS West up by a TD WITH the ball and they run 3 straight passes. 1st down = sack, 2nd down = completion for nominal gain, 3rd down = incomplete....

They ran about a minute off the clock. Their punt netted about 18 yards and then BS marched down and scored. They converted a 2 pt conversion and then LSW turned the ball over on downs to end the game.

I had the displeasure of asking the coach about the decision to run 3 passes when they should have been milking the clock.

What did he say? Why didn't they milk the clock?

Yeah that was tough. Up 28-14 on the road at Blue Springs going into the 4th quarter and then lose it. But there were some homer calls.

During a LSW punt the punt is blocked and goes up in the air and lands about the line scrimmage. many Blue springs players touch the ball. A blue springs player blocked the punt. LSW recovers the ball. Our ball right? Wrong Blue Springs never touched the ball. So how did it get blocked? There was a scrum for the ball between Blue Springs and LSW and BS never touched the ball. That was the ruling. They get the ball on the 22 yard line and go in for the score and cut the lead to 7.

The QB goes for a sneak to get the 1st down and it looks like to us he hits the ground being tackled a player lands on top of him and jars the ball loose, BS ball on the 20 yard line.

We are still up 7 points with 1:45 left in the game. They score and decide to go the win instead of the tie. Again , it looks like to us that he never had possesion of the ball until hes out of the end zone and we win the game. But the ruling is that he was forced out by the LS player and its a 2 pointer and ball game.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 4959624)

This is its 5th year of exsistence.

We owned Blue Springs in the first half. Up 14 points looks like we decided to coast home. They needed a 2 point conversion with 1:41 left in the game to beat us.

I think we've proven that we are ready to play with the big dogs on the block now. Some tremendous athletes on that field tonight. One helluva game to watch. Better than most Chief games I've seen lately.:)

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 4957122)

He is a tremendous talent. We kept him bottled up most of the game. Phobia can probably tell you the stats but he probably only had 30 yards or so at the half. He broke off a few 8 yard runs late in the game. But he's defintely got D1 talent.

Phobia 08-29-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4959885)
What did he say? Why didn't they milk the clock?

I'll get you an exact quote when I go through the tape but he essentially acknowledged that the coaches need to re-evaluate their playcalls too.

I didn't want to ask it, especially with my first question but everybody else had taken the easy questions.

But they put the ball in the air 35 times tonight against, what 8 runs? He said they ran the plays against what BS was giving them and they were giving them the passing game. They definitely looked like a different team in the 2nd half though.

Blocked punt aside, BS deserved the win. Throw every play out except for the 2 pt conversion. LSW stops they win. Since they gave it up, they lost. It really boils down to that one play. BS deserved the win based on the ballsy call and successful execution.

007 08-29-2008 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoRox88 (Post 4959845)
I ate the worst sandwich I've ever had at a Mr. Goodcent's in the Seaman area of Topeka.

Coincidence? Who knows. I ordered a chicken sandwich with white sauce...

Should have went to the one near central topeka. They use Trojans there.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4959917)
I'll get you an exact quote when I go through the tape but he essentially acknowledged that the coaches need to re-evaluate their playcalls too.

I didn't want to ask it, especially with my first question but everybody else had taken the easy questions.

But they put the ball in the air 35 times tonight against, what 8 runs? He said they ran the plays against what BS was giving them and they were giving them the passing game. They definitely looked like a different team in the 2nd half though.

Blocked punt aside, BS deserved the win. Throw every play out except for the 2 pt conversion. LSW stops they win. Since they gave it up, they lost. It really boils down to that one play. BS deserved the win based on the ballsy call and successful execution.

yeah they earned the win. Even after the calls we had 20 yards to make the stops and didn't.

Remember LSW lost their stud RB with a broken leg last week at a scrimmage. Proabably shied away fromt he run because of it. Besides with that O-Line giveing our QB all day to throw that ball we were pretty successful until the 4th quarter. Even then we had a 40 yard pass play bounce off a guys chest that would have killed another 2 mintues off the clock.

For those of you who haven't seen LSW they run the spread offense much like Mizzou and Kansas. No huddle. 4 coaches on the sidelines signaling calls in while everyone is already in position. Are other high schools running the spread offense?

Phobia 08-29-2008 11:24 PM

Did anybody else find it strange there were 3 punts blocked in one game tonight?

It's hard to ask compelling questions when you're dealing with kids. I asked about the blocked punts and if they were related to the long snapper - trying to be respectful of the kid factor. He agreed that the snapper was new and they weren't perfect snaps.

BigRedChief 08-29-2008 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 4959961)
Did anybody else find it strange there were 3 punts blocked in one game tonight?

It's hard to ask compelling questions when you're dealing with kids. I asked about the blocked punts and if they were related to the long snapper - trying to be respectful of the kid factor. He agreed that the snapper was new and they weren't perfect snaps.

The punter is an asshole. Rake him over the coals. Thinks he's king chit.

Phobia 08-29-2008 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 4959964)
The punter is an asshole. Rake him over the coals. Thinks he's king chit.

Heh. Nah - I won't rake kids over the coals. I didn't think it was his fault anyway.

BigRedChief 08-30-2008 12:34 AM

BTW, I heard last night that 22 players on the 2007 LSW football team recieved full free ride football scholorships after last season.