ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Does anyone actually think OU has a shot in hell at beating Florida? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=197993)

Red Dawg 12-07-2008 10:00 PM

Does anyone actually think OU has a shot in hell at beating Florida?

I don't. Florida is going to kill them. Alabama's defense only got them to punt on time. OU's defense is not nearly as good.

Florida is more than fast enough to halt the OU offense as well. Stoops will be denied again.

Texas got robbed. They had a tougher schedule and beat OU. BCS is so full of shit. USC would have been a better choice to face Florida.

suds79 12-07-2008 10:03 PM

I think your selling OU a pinch short. ;)

"Florida is more than fast enough to halt the OU offense as well."

Speed won't help them much if they're getting mauled by that O-line.

I think this is going to be a fabulous game.

ChiefsCountry 12-07-2008 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 5277961)
Texas got robbed. They had a tougher schedule and beat OU.

Than OU? :rolleyes: Go look at OU's schedule.

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:04 PM

Remember what WV did to OU...yea picture that but Florida has better talent on defense.

Mr. Laz 12-07-2008 10:05 PM

i give OU a chance ...... i would actually have them "favored" if they didn't have such a habit of choking lately.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-07-2008 10:05 PM

Yes.

Florida is going to have a damned tough time getting pressure on OU, just like everyone else has. Bradford will have all day to throw and he has 5 playmakers at skill positions on every snap (combined with 3 lineman who will be 1st-3rd round picks).

ohiobronco2 12-07-2008 10:06 PM

Oklahoma has one hell of an O-line. If you're strong up front and your QB has all day to throw the ball, you always have a shot.

the Talking Can 12-07-2008 10:08 PM

sure, OU has a better OL and a better QB....

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5277992)
sure, OU has a better OL and a better QB....

I'm not sure I agree with that as far as the college level goes....OU has a bad defense and Tebow in Florida's scheme is a monster.

BWillie 12-07-2008 10:10 PM

This year is a new year. There is a reason Oklahoma scored the more points than any other team in the history of college football this year. To say OU has no shot to win the game is asinine. OU's O-line is the best in college football.

BWillie 12-07-2008 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5277994)
I'm not sure I agree with that as far as the college level goes....OU has a bad defense and Tebow in Florida's scheme is a monster.

Yeah, OU's scheme just looks like sh*t. Scoring 60 plus points in the last five games and everything.

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:12 PM

There is something about the way they coach that when teams have a month to prepare they know what they're doing.....

OU has proved for 6 years now they aren't a big game team.

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 5278006)
Yeah, OU's scheme just looks like sh*t. Scoring 60 plus points in the last five games and everything.

Well everyone including Tim Tebow jokes about playing the Big 12 defenses because they suck ass...

suds79 12-07-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

I disagree to a certain point.

1 - I don't think OU's D is as bad as you think it is. When you've played in the big 12 this year, your defensive stats will suffer.

2 - OU has seen Florida's scheme all year. They've had lots of chances to play against the spread.

3 - IMO Florida hasn't played against a team of this quality yet. Alabama - Overrated. OU I think you could easily make the argument that they have played team(s) as good as Florida.

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 5278016)

1 - I don't think OU's D is as bad as you think it is. When you've played in the big 12 this year, your defensive stats will suffer.

2 - OU has seen Florida's scheme all year. They've had lots of chances to play against the spread.

3 - IMO Florida hasn't played against a team of this quality yet. Alabama - Overrated. OU I think you could easily make the argument that they have played team(s) as good as Florida.

Like I said there are numerous players including Tebow that made off handed jokes about the kind of numbers they'd have if they got to play the crappy Big 12 defenses.

PastorMikH 12-07-2008 10:15 PM

IF OU plays like they have, yes, they can win.

If OU plays like they have in their last 4 bowl games, no, they can't win.

ohiobronco2 12-07-2008 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 5278006)

The great thing about bowl games is they reveal how great each conferences perceived strength/weaknesses really are. People think the defenses is the Big 12 are terrible, but maybe the offenses are just really great. In the SEC, they are perceived as having great defenses, but horrible offenses. I must say that I think Florida does seem like the most balanced team in college football, but any team can be beat on any given day. OU may have too much O for them.

the Talking Can 12-07-2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

but unless you can crack that OL, Bradford is going to score at will...

i think a lot depends on whether murphy(? OU rb) is healthy, he gives them serious impact in the running game....

florida is more balanced on offense and defense, but the question was if OU has a shot and the answer is yes, of course...

Florida hasn't played an offense as good as OU

suds79 12-07-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5278022)
Like I said there are numerous players including Tebow that made off handed jokes about the kind of numbers they'd have if they got to play the crappy Big 12 defenses.

Great! Bulletin board material... Talk is cheap.

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:17 PM

Actually just wait and see if Harvin is playing, if he is then OU is screwed if he's not then they got a shot.

Stinger 12-07-2008 10:17 PM

The truly sad part (other than no BCS Tournament) is we have to wait over a freaking month for it to take place.

the Talking Can 12-07-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5278022)

so what?

chiefs1111 12-07-2008 10:19 PM

I really hope Urban and Mullen smarten up and stop with running Tebow up the middle every other play. Teams have figured it out,it's time to do something else,at least call some stuff to the outside or something. Also Brandon Spikes needs to play a lot better for us then he did last night. I don't know what his deal was,but he didn't do a damned thing yesterday.

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:21 PM

Personally I think it comes down to if Harvin is good to go or not.

chiefs1111 12-07-2008 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5278045)
Personally I think it comes down to if Harvin is good to go or not.

I think he will be good to go by then,at least I sure hope so...

ohiobronco2 12-07-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs1111 (Post 5278042)
I really hope Urban and Mullen smarten up and stop with running Tebow up the middle every other play. Teams have figured it out,it's time to do something else,at least call some stuff to the outside or something. Also Brandon Spikes needs to play a lot better for us then he did last night. I don't know what his deal was,but he didn't do a damned thing yesterday.

Yeah, I watched specifically for him yesterday and didn't see him in too many plays. I'm sure Florida will have a solid game plan before game day rolls around.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-07-2008 10:23 PM

Quote:

Florida's scheme isn't the same as the Big XII spread. It's much more run oriented. Hell, it's almost like a bastard child of the triple option with about 20% of Missouri's O thrown in.

Mecca 12-07-2008 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5278053)
Florida's scheme isn't the same as the Big XII spread. It's much more run oriented. Hell, it's almost like a bastard child of the triple option with about 20% of Missouri's O thrown in.

And it's a real pain in the ass cause he's pitching the ball to guys who run sub 4.3's one miss step and dude is in the endzone.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-07-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5278059)
And it's a real pain in the ass cause he's pitching the ball to guys who run sub 4.3's one miss step and dude is in the endzone.

The key to the entire game will be OU's front four. The DE's are going to have to flare out wide to keep outside contain, and the DT's are going to have to get a good interior push to funnel Florida inside the box where their speed and elusiveness will be negated. If they can do that, they'll have success.

Of course, if Oklahoma really wanted to, they could just run the ball down Florida's throat the entire game

Thig Lyfe 12-07-2008 10:29 PM

I think any team that scores 60+ in five consecutive games has at least "a shot in hell" at beating anybody.

Halfcan 12-07-2008 10:45 PM

OU will win-49 to 45.

notorious 12-07-2008 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5278053)

So it's similar to KSU's O from the 90's and early 00's that gave Stoops major headaches, even though OU had better talent at almost every position. And guess what, WVU ran the same O KSU did, also.

OU is going to have to score a LOT of points. Florida's O is going to slice up OU.

Pablo 12-07-2008 10:59 PM

No, OU just has one of the most prolific offenses in god knows how long.

They stand no chance against the UF-Tebow hype machine.

notorious 12-07-2008 11:01 PM

Just like in last year's Superbowl, and almost every game in history, whichever team's front four on D is able to get pressure on the QB allowing their D-backs to jump the throwing lanes will win the game.

Sure-Oz 12-07-2008 11:02 PM

Oklahoma should dominate scoring 60 in 5 straight games but i think it will be a good game, but it'd make me feel better if they got throttled. If they win, good for them, etiher way

notorious 12-07-2008 11:09 PM

I'm torn between who to cheer for/against. Half of my family are loud mouthed, cocky OU fans, and I hate hearing their bulls#@$ all of the time. On the other side, even though Tebow seems like a good guy, I am getting tired of the Florida/SEC suck-off fest.

What else will be on TV that night. J/K :)

A few trick plays by Florida will win it, along with a few by OU blowing up in their face.

Florida 38 Oklahoma 28

kcchiefsus 12-07-2008 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5277976)
Remember what WV did to OU...yea picture that but Florida has better talent on defense.

I hate OU but I can still admit this years OU team is better than last years. Last years team wasn't the first in college football history to score 60+ points in 5 straight games.

kcchiefsus 12-07-2008 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5278013)
Well everyone including Tim Tebow jokes about playing the Big 12 defenses because they suck ass...

Well Tebow can joke all he want but that pretty boy bitch is going nowhere once his days of playing on saturday are over because he ain't gonna do shit in the NFL.

Smed1065 12-07-2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Yes this means OU wins...

Basileus777 12-07-2008 11:56 PM

Of course they do. All the people saying OU has no chance are the same people who said Alabama would lose by 30 points. Florida isn't going to be able to stop OU's offense. I'll wager that the game will come down to turnovers.

tk13 12-08-2008 01:01 AM

It'll be interesting to see. You could make the argument that OU will be like Alabama's line, only with a lot better skill players. And as we saw once again yesterday, despite everyone getting all worked up to the contrary, if you can control the line of scrimmage, you will be in the game.

I think OU has the horses to compete, but they're also the team that history says will tighten up and not play to their potential.

beach tribe 12-08-2008 07:41 AM

You can basically hand the trophy over to the SEC again.

I ****ing HATE watching the Gators play. It's like watching a cheeser play Madden. They run a variation of about 10 plays total. Everyone knows what's coming, but you can't do shit about it. I hate FL, and I hate Tebow, but OU is pretty much cooked IMO.

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2008 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 5277961)
I don't. Florida is going to kill them. Alabama's defense only got them to punt on time. OU's defense is not nearly as good.

Florida is more than fast enough to halt the OU offense as well. Stoops will be denied again.

Texas got robbed. They had a tougher schedule and beat OU. BCS is so full of shit. USC would have been a better choice to face Florida.

Of course OU has a "shot in hell". To say otherwise would be stupid.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suds79 (Post 5277973)
I think your selling OU a pinch short. ;)

"Florida is more than fast enough to halt the OU offense as well."

Speed won't help them much if they're getting mauled by that O-line.

I think this is going to be a fabulous game.

Alabama's OL is pretty damn good. It's not like Florida hasn't played against top OL's.

Quote:

OU hasn't seen Florida's scheme all year. They haven't played a single team that plays offense the way Florida does. They also haven't played an offensive team with the weapons, athletes and speed that Florida possesses. The only team OU has played that you could try and make the argument is on the caliber of Florida is Texas - and OU lost.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 5278369)
It'll be interesting to see. You could make the argument that OU will be like Alabama's line, only with a lot better skill players. And as we saw once again yesterday, despite everyone getting all worked up to the contrary, if you can control the line of scrimmage, you will be in the game.

I think OU has the horses to compete, but they're also the team that history says will tighten up and not play to their potential.

True, the difference is Alabama has a much better defense than OU which helped keep them in the game.

A big factor and advantage in this game for Florida will be special teams. Florida has stellar special teams while OU's coverage units are.... not.

Brock 12-08-2008 08:10 AM

OU can play with Florida offensively. I suspect Florida will win though.

DaKCMan AP 12-08-2008 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5278513)
OU can play with Florida offensively. I suspect Florida will win though.

Yes, they can. However their D is not as good and their ST's are not even close.

Skip Towne 12-08-2008 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 5278029)
but unless you can crack that OL, Bradford is going to score at will...

i think a lot depends on whether murphy(? OU rb) is healthy, he gives them serious impact in the running game....

florida is more balanced on offense and defense, but the question was if OU has a shot and the answer is yes, of course...

Florida hasn't played an offense as good as OU

DeMarco Murray

CoMoChief 12-08-2008 09:09 AM

I think OU will beat the snot out of FLA.

Tebow's a ****in bitch and is going to get slapped around the the bitch pussy faqqot he is.

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-08-2008 09:11 AM

Quote:

Does anyone actually think OU has a shot in hell at beating Florida?
No. And I hope to God it is a painful, devastating, gut-wrenching loss.

**** Stoops.

Frazod 12-08-2008 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5278558)
No. And I hope to God it is a painful, devastating, gut-wrenching loss.

And I hope their ****ing plane crashes on the way back.

**** Stoops.

FYP

alanm 12-08-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

And I'll submit to you and Tebow that the Offense's as a whole in the Big 12 are above and beyond better than the collective in the SEC. And the Big 12's defensive statistics are skewed because of that.
I think OU is going to put a ass whupping on Florida. :)

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-08-2008 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5278566)
FYP

That was awesome.ROFL

Frazod 12-08-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth CarlSatan (Post 5278570)
That was awesome.ROFL

Yeah, I thought you'd like that. :)

Garcia Bronco 12-08-2008 09:26 AM

I've never seen a more classless coach than Bob Stoops and hopefully the football Gods pay him in kind with another BCS loss.

beach tribe 12-08-2008 09:26 AM

ROFLROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 5278567)
And I'll submit to you and Tebow that the Offense's as a whole in the Big 12 are above and beyond better than the collective in the SEC. And the Big 12's defensive statistics are skewed because of that.
I think OU is going to put a ass whupping on Florida. :)

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

alanm 12-08-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5278582)
ROFLROFL
ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

I'm glad I could give you a chuckle this morning. But my prediction still stands.
OU to win in a ass whupping. Similar to the one Nebraska gave them back in the 96 Fiesta bowl when everyone thought NU didn't have a shot. Boy was everyone wrong about that one. :thumb:

HemiEd 12-08-2008 09:35 AM

Without reading this thread, I find it kind of humerous. The talking heads on ESPN Radio this morning, were saying it should be OU and Texas in the NC game. That Florida should have been left out.

I don't really care, but it sure conflicts with this thread.

Garcia Bronco 12-08-2008 09:36 AM

OU should be playing Florida. Texas didn't even win their conference.

Red Dawg 12-08-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5278011)
There is something about the way they coach that when teams have a month to prepare they know what they're doing.....

OU has proved for 6 years now they aren't a big game team.

All these people are a bunch of Homers. OU is good for the Big 12 but get serious. Florida is going to smash them into nothing just like USC did a few years ago.

Brock 12-08-2008 09:48 AM

At least it isn't Ohio State again.

Chiefnj2 12-08-2008 09:51 AM

It should be Florida v. Texas, and USC v. Oklahoma.

007 12-08-2008 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 5277979)
i give OU a chance ...... i would actually have them "favored" if they didn't have such a habit of choking lately.

THIS. I would never bet on OU in a bowl game.

alanm 12-08-2008 09:53 AM

I've seen Florida as often as I've seen OU this year. I don't think Florida has the fire power to stay with them.

Frazod 12-08-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5278610)
At least it isn't Ohio State again.

Yes. Both teams played in conference championship games - nobody got to "back in" this year.

I hate that.

Pablo 12-08-2008 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 5278617)
I've seen Florida as often as I've seen OU this year. I don't think Florida has the fire power to stay with them.

Shit.

Yeah right.

Tebows good for 48 points, 12 rebounds and 6 blocks.

Pablo 12-08-2008 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5278622)
Yes. Both teams played in conference championship games - nobody got to "back in" this year.

I hate that.

It does take away a substantial portion of your b*tching fodder.

Frazod 12-08-2008 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GonzoRox88 (Post 5278625)
It does take away a substantial portion of your b*tching fodder.

IMO, every conference should have a championship game. PERIOD.

That game should feature the best teams from the whole conference, regardless of division or whether those teams already played (the Big XII game should have been between Oklahoma and Texas - neither Missouri or any other North team had any business being there this year).

No team that doesn't play that extra game should be elligible for a BCS game.

Of course, here I go again advocating fairness and equity into a broken and corrupt system. The powers that be only care about money.

Rausch 12-08-2008 10:09 AM

Short answer: Yes...and I'd bet on it.

007 12-08-2008 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5278638)

That game should feature the best teams from the whole conference, regardless of division or whether those teams already played (the Big XII game should have been between Oklahoma and Texas - neither Missouri or any other North team had any business being there this year).

Of course, here I go again advocating fairness and equity into a broken and corrupt system. The powers that be only care about money.

They need to eliminate placing conferences in divisions. The best two teams play. PERIOD

The Big 12 ****ed themselves as usual.

Pablo 12-08-2008 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 5278638)

This is all true.

Simply Red 12-08-2008 10:15 AM

A shot? sure. Likely? No way.

Bi_polar 12-08-2008 10:18 AM

no.

Dave Lane 12-08-2008 10:54 AM

Quote:

Thats the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time. Yep Big 12 forgot all about playing defense :)

Try the offenses in the Big 12 are scoring machines and you will see its a tough match up and Florida will find that out I expect them to put 40+ on Florida. Can Florida put up 50+?

ChiTown 12-08-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 5278606)
All these people are a bunch of Homers. OU is good for the Big 12 but get serious. Florida is going to smash them into nothing just like USC did a few years ago.

Smash? lmao

Dude, the OU offense won't allow for it. OU has the best combination of OL, WR's, RB's and QB in the Country. They WILL score, and score often on FLA. This should be a very entertaining game, and I believe OU will win it.

Skip Towne 12-08-2008 11:12 AM

I'll take OU. Mr. Stoops is a fine gentleman.

HolyHandgernade 12-08-2008 11:22 AM

Aug 30 Chattanooga Won 57-2
Sep 6 Cincinnati Won 52-26
Sep 13 @Washington Won 55-14
Sep 27 TCU Won 35-10
Oct 4 @Baylor Won 49-17
Oct 11 Texas Lost 35-45
Oct 18 Kansas Won 45-31
Oct 25 @Kansas St. Won 58-35
Nov 1 Nebraska Won 62-28
Nov 8 @Texas A&M Won 66-28
Nov 22 Texas Tech Won 65-21
Nov 29 @Oklahoma St. Won 61-41
Dec 6 Missouri Won 62-21

Well, here's my analysis on the supposedly poor OU defense. Until Texas, the only team that scored more than 20 on them was Cincinnati, a pretty good team this year. OU led most of the game against Texas but lost their star LB and couldn't make the adjustment during the game. They had a couple of games where they had to adjust their defense against the Kansas teams, and with the exception of the rivalry away game against OSU, the defense limited the offensive output of the other team each game. IMO, this seems to suggest that the adjustments in their defense finally got their game legs under them. I don't think the OU defense is going to get raped like alot of people here think. It will get scored on, but will itget scored on enough?

We all know about OU's offense, they haven't been held below 35 points all year. Florida counters with a defense that hasn't given up big points outside of the one boo-boo to Ole Miss. But, has Florida really seen an offense as explosive as OU's? There's no denying the SEC has been down this year.

In conference play:

Tenn: 16.1 ppg
Miss: 26.0 ppg
Ark: 20.9 ppg (Common Opponent, lost to Texas 52-10)
LSU: 25.9 ppg
Kent: 17.8 ppg
Geor: 32.1 ppg
Vand: 16.2 ppg
S. Car: 20.4 ppg
Ala: 30.5 ppg

Ave: 22.9 ppg

By contrast, OU's in-conference play opponents:

Bay: 24.9 ppg
Tex: 41.1 ppg
Kan: 31.4 ppg
KSt: 28.9 ppg
Neb: 35.5 ppg
Tam: 26.8 ppg
Tech: 44.0 ppg
OSt: 35.3 ppg
Miz: 38.4 ppg

Ave: 34.0

That's a heathy 11 point average difference. OU has played 6 teams currently ranked in the Top 25 with two others receiving votes in various polls. Florida has played 3 currently ranked in the Top 25 with just one other receiving votes.

I think it will be a great game, and yes, I think OU has a great chance of winning. Nebraska was often criticized for not winning Bowl games before breaking through as well. I don't think one should take too much from past performances. This OU team will be prepared for this game.

-HH

Sweet Daddy Hate 12-08-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5278751)
I'll take OU. Mr. Stoops is a fine gentleman.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/95AEzyWZX8I&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/95AEzyWZX8I&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

eazyb81 12-08-2008 11:39 AM

As much as I hate them, Oklahoma is a really, really, REALLY good football team that is hitting on all cylinders right now. On offense they can play fast or slow, air it out or grind it out. On defense they can just keep throwing in big, fast, 4 and 5 star D-linemen that get in the backfield and stuff the run.

Florida is a good team too, but I think OU wins this one.

eazyb81 12-08-2008 11:41 AM

Quote:

WTF? OU does not have a bad defense. Now that English is back, their D-line is beastly.

007 12-08-2008 11:46 AM

Go Big Eight. And I can't stand OU. heh

Frazod 12-08-2008 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 5278821)
Go Big Eight. And I can't stand OU. heh

I don't get this. I wouldn't root for those ****ing thugs if they were playing Al Qaeda.