ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Mayo named Defensive rookie of the year (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=199502)

journeyscarab 12-31-2008 10:57 AM

Mayo named Defensive rookie of the year

Idk why he won this...i think flowers could have won it.

wazu 12-31-2008 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by journeyscarab (Post 5343787)

Or the unstoppable, incomparable Maurice Leggett.

Garcia Bronco 12-31-2008 11:03 AM

Flowers should have been DROY and Eddie Royal should have been OROY. It should have been a Hokie sweep

BigRedChief 12-31-2008 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by journeyscarab (Post 5343787)

Huh? He didn't even win his own teams award.

beach tribe 12-31-2008 11:41 AM

Another hit by Pioli.

Hootie 12-31-2008 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5343919)
Another hit by Pioli.

Meh. A LB has won it 6 years in a row...it was still a reach IMO. Mayo is a good player, but not top 10 worthy...just because you rack up a lot of tackles doesn't mean you're a 'great' player.

Weak defensive rookie class...he deserves it but it doesn't mean it was some sort of amazingly great draft pick.

beach tribe 12-31-2008 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5343933)
Meh. A LB has won it 6 years in a row...it was still a reach IMO. Mayo is a good player, but not top 10 worthy...just because you rack up a lot of tackles doesn't mean you're a 'great' player.

Weak defensive rookie class...he deserves it but it doesn't mean it was some sort of amazingly great draft pick.

That's funny. He did an excellent job this season, AND NE traded down, and picked up extra picks. Great move IMO. Got the guy they wanted, and more.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5343942)
That's funny. He did an excellent job this season, AND NE traded down, and picked up extra picks. Great move IMO. Got the guy they wanted, and more.

Mayo would have been around if they selected around 15-25...it was a reach.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:05 PM

New England wanted Gholston, by the way...and we saw how good his rookie campaign turned out.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-31-2008 12:05 PM

If Flowers was in NE and Mayo in KC, Flowers wins the award no questions asked.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-31-2008 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5343999)
New England wanted Gholston, by the way...and we saw how good his rookie campaign turned out.

Completely misused and buried behind stiffs by an idiot coaching staff who got shitcanned for their incompetence should not be an indictment of him, but rather the "play veterans at all costs" approach of the Jets and their Carl-esque thrust for 9-7 this year.

FloridaMan88 12-31-2008 12:08 PM

But Scott Pioli's draft record is overrated :rolleyes:

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5343997)
Mayo would have been around if they selected around 15-25...it was a reach.

He may have been there, but they may not have been able to trade back that far. He was the guy they wanted, and they got him, and there's no guarantee he would have been there had they moved back too far.
They got their man, and extra picks. That is a successful trade. Not only that, but the guy turned out to be the most productive player drafted.
If you can't view that as a success....well..

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:09 PM

I wonder how many games the Jets would have won with Chad Pennington as their QB?

I say 10...Favre SUCKED this year. Plain and simple. Turnover machine.

Mr. Laz 12-31-2008 12:10 PM

if we had won more than 2 freakin games some of our players might of received real consideration.

Mr. Laz 12-31-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 (Post 5344006)

Pioli sucks /Warpath58

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-31-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344008)
I wonder how many games the Jets would have won with Chad Pennington as their QB?

I say 10...Favre SUCKED this year. Plain and simple. Turnover machine.

I predicted he'd have 16 TDs and 26 picks, so he actually overachieved what I thought he'd do...then again, he only turned into Brett Favre in the last half of the season. Had he been that Favre the whole year, he would have thrown 35-40 picks.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344007)
He may have been there, but they may not have been able to trade back that far. He was the guy they wanted, and they got him, and there's no guarantee he would have been there had they moved back too far.
They got their man, and extra picks. That is a successful trade. Not only that, but the guy turned out to be the most productive player drafted.

It's a linebacker...they could have drafted a guy in the 2nd round, thrusted him into that lineup, and he could have recorded 100 tackles and been rookie of the year...

Statistics on linebackers don't always tell the story...I'm not saying Mayo wasn't a good player this year...I'm just saying he wasn't some amazing draft pick by Pioli.

They reached for the guy...if drafting a guy 10 picks early because they're not used to drafting top 10 is another 'homerun'...then yikes.

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 5344012)
if we had won more than 2 freakin games some of our players might of received real consideration.

This. And if we would have had pass rush Flowers would have shined like a diamond. I can't wait to see what this guy can really do. He's gonna be special. I don't care who won the award Flowers may very well be the best D player from this draft.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5344014)
I predicted he'd have 16 TDs and 26 picks, so he actually overachieved what I thought he'd do...then again, he only turned into Brett Favre in the last half of the season. Had he been that Favre the whole year, he would have thrown 35-40 picks.

He almost had me fooled when they were 8-3...my friends are Packers fans and I've ragged on Favre for years and those guys will never say a bad thing about him...it's always the receiver running the wrong route or blah blah blah...the dude has been MEDIOCRE for the last 5-6 years...he loses more games than he wins...

Aaron Rodgers led the Packers to more offensive points in less drives than Favre did a year ago...the Packers 6-10 record is a reflection on their defense...of course these same dudes claim the Packers are still a 13 win team with Favre...the same Favre who choked away a potential Super Bowl appearance with a Favre-esque overtime INT against the Giants @ Lambeau in the NFC Championship last season.

suds79 12-31-2008 12:14 PM

yeah LBer is just one of those postions that's good for stats.

It's like it when rookie RBs win ROY awards... Again easy to pile up stats.

Not saying Mayo isn't a good player. Just saying this doesn't shock me.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344019)
This. And if we would have had pass rush Flowers would have shined like a diamond. I can't wait to see what this guy can really do. He's gonna be special. I don't care who won the award Flowers may very well be the best D player from this draft.

Depends.

From what I understand, Flowers is suppose to be the PERFECT cover 2 cornerback...

How much cover 2 will we be playing next season? Our players were all drafted to play for Herm and Herm's system...that's some food for thought...if we switch to 3-4, what are we going to do with Dorsey? Is he versatile enough to be an end?

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344015)
It's a linebacker...they could have drafted a guy in the 2nd round, thrusted him into that lineup, and he could have recorded 100 tackles and been rookie of the year...

Statistics on linebackers don't always tell the story...I'm not saying Mayo wasn't a good player this year...I'm just saying he wasn't some amazing draft pick by Pioli.

They reached for the guy...if drafting a guy 10 picks early because they're not used to drafting top 10 is another 'homerun'...then yikes.

Why don't you tell me what LB they could have picked in 2nd. And if that's true why didn't the LBs picked in 2nd come anywhere near his production. While I agree with what you're saying about LB statistics, the guy played great this year. it wasn't all about his #s. He was a hell of a player in college, and had agreat rookie yr.

Mr. Laz 12-31-2008 12:17 PM

Favre has always needed someone to keep a leash on him or he just gets wild and out of control.

gotta hire a coach to just sit there and nag Favre before every play ..... "see it before you throw it" "don't just chuck it" "Be smart"

over and over again

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344028)
Depends.

From what I understand, Flowers is suppose to be the PERFECT cover 2 cornerback...

How much cover 2 will we be playing next season? Our players were all drafted to play for Herm and Herm's system...that's some food for thought...if we switch to 3-4, what are we going to do with Dorsey? Is he versatile enough to be an end?

Flowers has the talent to play in any defense. I'll bet he can be a shutdown man 2 man corner with a pass rush. We didn't play much cover 2 this year anyway. It's just our base package.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344030)
Why don't you tell me what LB they could have picked in 2nd. And if that's true why didn't the LBs picked in 2nd come anywhere near his production. While I agree with what you're saying about LB statistics, the guy played great this year. it wasn't all about his #s. He was a hell of a player in college, and had agreat rookie yr.

This isn't where I'm going with this argument...the Patriots drafted for need rather than BPA...something the draft junkies on this board claim has been the Chiefs M.O. for years...I.E. Junior Siavii...

But I guess when you're the Patriots you can draft for need...and just pull everything else off of the trash heap because no matter what Belichick is coaching that team to 11 wins...

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344028)
Depends.

I was wondering about whether Dorsey could be a 3-4 end.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 5344037)
Favre has always needed someone to keep a leash on him or he just gets wild and out of control.

gotta hire a coach to just sit there and nag Favre before every play ..... "see it before you throw it" "don't just chuck it" "Be smart"

over and over again

What really gets me is...the Jets offense would have been perfect for Chad Pennington...

Good offensive line, great running game, good receivers...and Chad isn't turnover prone.

The Jets win 10 or 11 with Chad, that's for sure...Favre hurt that team far more than he helped them...but he's Brett Favre so he gets a pass.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344038)
Flowers has the talent to play in any defense. I'll bet he can be a shutdown man 2 man corner with a pass rush. We didn't play much cover 2 this year anyway. It's just our base package.

Hopefully...Flowers was a top 10 or 15 pick in the midseason "re-draft"...said he would have been top 10 all along if he was 6'0" or 6'1"...

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344039)
This isn't where I'm going with this argument...the Patriots drafted for need rather than BPA...something the draft junkies on this board claim has been the Chiefs M.O. for years...I.E. Junior Siavii...

But I guess when you're the Patriots you can draft for need...and just pull everything else off of the trash heap because no matter what Belichick is coaching that team to 11 wins...

When you have 95% of your team already built you can, and should draft for need. BPA applies more to teams that are bereft of talent.

FloridaMan88 12-31-2008 12:21 PM

Quote:

The Chiefs were high on Gholston also.

Demonpenz 12-31-2008 12:21 PM

Mayo is good with the spread

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:22 PM

for all of the bad that will be said about Herm & Co...at least they had one good draft...there is no doubt that Flowers, Albert, and Charles will be really good players and Dorsey still has elite potential and we have guys like Leggett, Carr, Cottam and Morgan who can definitely be players...the Chiefs are in much better shape, IMO, then when Herm took over the veteran garbage heap Vermeil left behind.

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344045)
What really gets me is...this offense would have been perfect for Chad Pennington...

Good offensive line, great running game, good receivers...and Chad isn't turnover prone.

This team wins 10 or 11 with Chad, that's for sure...Favre hurt that team far more than he helped them...but he's Brett Favre so he gets a pass.

This team? As in the Chiefs? You're smokin crack. The Dolphins D should get as much credit for their record as Chad.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344049)
When you have 95% of your team already built you can, and should draft for need. BPA applies more to teams that are bereft of talent.

Nah...

You draft BPA no matter what according to the draft experts...and I agree.

I mean, obviously if you have Peyton Manning you don't draft Matt Stafford...but you don't reach for a LB that might have slipped to the 2nd round 9th overall.

Hootie 12-31-2008 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344062)
This team? As in the Chiefs? You're smokin crack. The Dolphins D should get as much credit for their record as Chad.

I was talking about the Jets in that post...it does look like I might have been talking about the Chiefs...no friggin' way...Chad doesn't make it through three weeks on the Chiefs.

beach tribe 12-31-2008 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344066)
Nah...

You draft BPA no matter what according to the draft experts...and I agree.

I mean, obviously if you have Peyton Manning you don't draft Matt Stafford...but you don't reach for a LB that might have slipped to the 2nd round 9th overall.

I agree with that too, but if you think you're 1 or 2 players away from the SB, you try to get those players IMO. Kind of like drafting a RB high. I wouldn't do it unless it was the final piece of the puzzle.

OnTheWarpath15 12-31-2008 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsfan88 (Post 5344006)

Go back and look at NE's drafts, 2000-2007, ****stick. 15 hits in 70 picks. 21%.

That's like saying that Carl Peterson is forgiven of all his past draft ****ups because he drafted Albert and Flowers THIS year.

Rain Man 12-31-2008 01:11 PM

He's no Leggett.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-31-2008 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344048)
Hopefully...Flowers was a top 10 or 15 pick in the midseason "re-draft"...said he would have been top 10 all along if he was 6'0" or 6'1"...

It wasn't the height that made him drop, it was the 4.6 he ran.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-31-2008 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344049)

I wonder how the Dallas Cowboys of 1979 feel, when they eschewed their BPA strategy to pass on Montana at the end of the second round because they had Danny White in place.

LMAOLMAO

Hootie 12-31-2008 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 5344302)
It wasn't the height that made him drop, it was the 4.6 he ran.

Ah...I thought I read something about his height. Must have gotten mixed up...

the Talking Can 12-31-2008 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 5344007)

no shit...it was textbook perfect maneuvering

and i love the idea that any LB would have done as well and won DROTY...that must explain why DJ won it also....wait,.....

Wilson8 01-02-2009 12:45 PM

2008 Rookie Stats
Brandon Carr and Brandon Flowers finished tied for fourth with BUF Leodis McKelvin and SD Antoine Cason, with 2 interceptions. TB Aqib Talib finished first with 4 interceptions for a rookie. WSH Chris Horton and ARZ Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie finished tied for second with 3 interceptions each. Maurice Leggett tied with 19 others with 1 interception for a rookie.

Brandon Carr finished fifth for tackles with 73 and Brandon Flowers finished sixth in rookie tackles with 69. Glenn Dorsey finished eleventh in tackles with 46. Maurice Leggett finished 16th in tackles with 37.

Jamal Charles finished tenth in yardage (358) for rookie rushers and second in yards per carry with a 5.3 average.

Some rookie bargains from where they were picked to what they produced…
Houston RB Steve Slayton 3rd round, 1,282 yards, 9 TDs rushing, 377 yards receiving, with 1 TD.
Chicago RB Matt Forte 2nd round, 1,238 yards, 8 TDs rushing, 477 yards, 4 TDs receiving.
Washington S Chris Horton 7th round, 76 tackles, 3 interceptions, 5 PDs and 1 sack.

http://www.gbnreport.com/rookiestats.html

Wilson8 01-02-2009 01:17 PM

Tackles
Player................Team...........(draft status)...TOT
Jerod Mayo.........New England........(1)...........128
Curtis Lofton.......Atlanta...............(2).............94
Chris Horton........Washington.........(7).............76
Antoine Cason.....San Diego...........(1).............74
Brandon Carr.......Kansas City.........(5).............73
Branden Flowers..Kansas City..........(2).............69
Kenny Phillips......NY Giants.............(1).............67
Dwight Lowery....NY Jets................(4).............64
Charles Godfrey...Carolina...............(3).............61
Wesley Woodyard.Denver...............(U).............53
Glenn Dorsey.......Kansas City.........(1).............46
Terrell Thomas.....NY Giants............(2)............45
Rodgers-Cromartie.Arizona..............(1)............42
Chris Long...........St. Louis.............(1)............39
Keith Rivers.........Cincinnati............(1)............37
Maurice Leggett...Kansas City.........(U).............37

Wilson8 01-02-2009 01:26 PM

Since I am posting stuff from Great Blue North Draft Report…

Mock Draft from January 2, 2009

* Indicates underclassman
# Team Player POS School
1 Detroit *Sam Bradford QB Oklahoma
2 St. Louis *Andre Smith OT Alabama
3 Kansas City *Matthew Stafford QB Georgia
4 Seattle *Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
5 Cleveland *Chris Wells RB Ohio State
6 Cincinnati Michael Oher OT Mississippi
7 Oakland *Vontae Davis CB Illinois
8 Jacksonville *Jeremy Maclin WR Missouri
9 Green Bay Eugene Monroe OT Virginia
10 San Francisco Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State
http://www.gbnreport.com/2009projection.html

Wilson8 01-02-2009 01:44 PM

I know you have to wait a few years before you can really evaluate a draft pick but Jamal Charles, Texas, was a 3rd round, 73rd pick and Steve Slayton, West Virginia was a 3rd round, 89th pick. Slayton was very valuable for the Texans this year. Maybe next year we will see more of what Jamal can do for the Chiefs.

the Talking Can 01-02-2009 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 5349908)
I know you have to wait a few years before you can really evaluate a draft pick but Jamal Charles, Texas, was a 3rd round, 73rd pick and Steve Slayton, West Virginia was a 3rd round, 89th pick. Slayton was very valuable for the Texans this year. Maybe next year we will see more of what Jamal can do for the Chiefs.

ouch...

Amnorix 01-02-2009 10:46 PM

Quote:

Rumor is we didn't, though it's obviously impossible to know for certain either way.

Besides, I wouldn't project Gholston's success (or lack thereof) with the Jets as being identical to what he would have enjoyed with the Patriots. I think there's more than enough evidence to show that the Patriots do a better job than most of "putting their players in a position to succeed."

Amnorix 01-02-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344015)

:shake:

You don't understand the Patriots draft philosophy. They DON'T CARE what a guy projects to for other teams. Never have and never will.

And besides, it takes two to tango. How do you know for certain that anyone was available to trade down again? How do you knwo that the Pats didn't think that some other team might leap up in front of them to grab him. If he's clearly the best guy on their board, and he fits an OBVIOUS need (which he did) then why the **** would you risk losing him to pick up a minor pick in a late round?

Amnorix 01-02-2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie (Post 5344039)

If the Pats truly drafted for need, we would've drafted an LB higher years and years ago, as Pats fans keep (inaccurately) predicting. As BB says, what good is drafting for need if the guy can't fill the need?

Mayo was a happy coalescing of need and BPA, according to the PATS board, which again ignores whatever others think in terms of rankings.