ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Brian Harold Billick next HC for KC ??? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=201174)

Rasputin 01-26-2009 05:45 PM

Brian Harold Billick next HC for KC ???

That's my pick what say you. He has a Super Bowl ring, he is an Offinsive guru, his Super Bowl team was about Defense. His record as HC 80-64 with 5-3 record in post season.

Sorry if repost, just a name I heard on the radio and think he is a guy to take considerations on.

Bowser 01-26-2009 05:47 PM

**** no. He's no offensive guru, he was just the beneficiary of a young Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Randall Cunningham then Daunte Culpepper, and Robert Smith. YOU could have coached that offense into the top 10.

Basileus777 01-26-2009 05:47 PM

Brian Billick - offensive guru? What is this, 1999?

Mama Hip Rockets 01-26-2009 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 5428977)
That's my pick what say you. He has a Super Bowl ring, he is an Offinsive guru, his Super Bowl team was about Defense. His record as HC 80-64 with 5-3 record in post season.

Sorry if repost, just a name I heard on the radio and think he is a guy to take considerations on.

we are talking about the same brian billick who coached the ravens, who had pitiful offense for many years, right?

Micjones 01-26-2009 05:50 PM

He wouldn't be my first (or fifth) choice as Head Coach.

Rasputin 01-26-2009 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 5428997)
we are talking about the same brian billick who coached the ravens, who had pitiful offense for many years, right?

OK he may not be an offinsive guru, but he did win a Super Bowl and his Defense sure was good enough and they did just enough on offense to win a Super Bowl. He would be a good fit for us IMO.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-26-2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 5429005)
OK he may not be an offinsive guru, but he did win a Super Bowl and his Defense sure was good enough and they did just enough on offense to win a Super Bowl. He would be a good fit for us IMO.

so that would be the exact opposite of an offensive guru, right?

talastan 01-26-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Two words...Rex Ryan!

Mr. Arrowhead 01-26-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Yea its easy when you have a shit load of talent on defense, its like saying that Gunther is a defensive genius in the 90s, but its real easy when you have DT, neil smith, james hasty, dale Carter, and etc.

Ebolapox 01-26-2009 05:55 PM

know what? I'm gonna trust scott freaking pioli.

I feel giddy saying 'pioli' now. the dude helped build one of the only dynasties in the free agency era. I'm gonna give him the benefit of the doubt. if he hires a coach, odds are he made the right call.

Ebolapox 01-26-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 5429014)
Two words...Rex Ryan!

didn't he go to the jets?

Mama Hip Rockets 01-26-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 5429018)

yes.

Mecca 01-26-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 5429014)
Two words...Rex Ryan!

Actually he won the bowl with Marvin Lewis.

talastan 01-26-2009 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 5429018)

Yes but he was a big part of that killer defense that everyone talks about. Him and Marvin Lewis.

talastan 01-26-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5429022)
Actually he won the bowl with Marvin Lewis.

Ryan was part of staff during that time if I remember, but yes you're right Lewis was the DC

Sure-Oz 01-26-2009 06:01 PM

A name that i think is a dark horse out there is Marv Levy

4 straight SB's FTW

Bugeater 01-26-2009 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5428988)
**** no. He's no offensive guru, he was just the beneficiary of a young Randy Moss, Cris Carter, Randall Cunningham then Daunte Culpepper, and Robert Smith. YOU could have coached that offense into the top 10.

He left before Culpepper was drafted. %(/

Bugeater 01-26-2009 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 5429032)

4 straight SB's FTW

He has to be like 150 yrs old by now.

Sure-Oz 01-26-2009 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 5429035)
He has to be like 150 yrs old by now.

Admit it, he's the future of the chiefs....

Sign Warner after the year is over too

Deberg_1990 01-26-2009 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 5428988)

To his credit, Randall Cunningham was hardly young in 98-99.

IN fact, i believe he was out of football for a few years before that?

Predarat 01-26-2009 06:11 PM

I wouldn't mind having Billick as the coach, I actually was hoping he would get it when Gun got hired.

FringeNC 01-26-2009 06:16 PM

I thought it was going to be a strong rumor. Thank god it's not. He sucks. Baltimore did a lot better without him. Fraud.

Rasputin 01-26-2009 06:21 PM

His Super Bowl team beat the Giants 34-7 not all of that was Defense. I like the idea of having a coach who has won a Super Bowl and that is not named Gruden or Shanarat.

theorangelion 01-26-2009 06:28 PM

I'll pass.

Extra Point 01-26-2009 06:31 PM

What's a Dilfer?

boogblaster 01-26-2009 06:39 PM

He's ten times better than we just had ...

seaofred 01-26-2009 06:58 PM

Quote:

4 straight SB's FTW

LOL we don't want any KC retreads...

DaKCMan AP 01-26-2009 07:07 PM

FAIL

whoman69 01-26-2009 07:07 PM

I don't want any retreads. Give me someone new and hungry.

DeezNutz 01-26-2009 07:12 PM

We're probably not going to hear an ounce of news this week, and by Friday many posters are going to be going full Detroit.

We'll long for the days of Brian Billick requests...

TEX 01-26-2009 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 5429063)
I wouldn't mind having Billick as the coach, I actually was hoping he would get it when Gun got hired.

Me too, but now I'm not so sure. We could do a lot worse I suppose.

Mr. Laz 01-26-2009 07:38 PM

somebody shoot me in the face

plbrdude 01-26-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

4 straight SB's and no ring to show for it

fixed your post

bevis369 01-26-2009 07:46 PM

Heck no...

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 09:33 PM

Billick gets a bad rap because he's a supposed "offensive genius" and his Ravens teams were lacking on offense.

His mistake was putting faith in Matt Cavanaugh as his OC, and his personnel department never getting him a legit QB.

The Ravens always hit on their defensive draft picks, but for the most part, whiffed on their offensive picks. Billick seems to take the blame for that.

I personally think Billick is a hell of a gameday coach - and on the occasions where he took over the playcalling from Cavanaugh, the offense responded.

Much like getting Shanahan a solid DC, I think if you pair Billick with a solid OC (or let him call his own plays), he'd be a damn good choice.

milkman 01-26-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429738)
Billick gets a bad rap because he's a supposed "offensive genius" and his Ravens teams were lacking on offense.

His mistake was putting faith in Matt Cavanaugh as his OC, and his personnel department never getting him a legit QB.

The Ravens always hit on their defensive draft picks, but for the most part, whiffed on their offensive picks. Billick seems to take the blame for that.

I personally think Billick is a hell of a gameday coach - and on the occasions where he took over the playcalling from Cavanaugh, the offense responded.

Much like getting Shanahan a solid DC, I think if you pair Billick with a solid OC (or let him call his own plays), he'd be a damn good choice.

You know, Billick with a GM who can find him the talent on both sides of the ball isn't really that bad of an idea at all.

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5429784)
You know, Billick with a GM who can find him the talent on both sides of the ball isn't really that bad of an idea at all.

My sarcasm meter has been on the fritz, so I'm going to assume you're agreeing with me.

Seriously - look at who they hit on the offensive side of the ball:

Jonathan Ogden and Jamal Lewis. Todd Heap would count if he could stay healthy.

Otherwise, Newsome really let Billick down. Awful, awful picks on the offensive side of the ball. The next best picks were Casey Rabach and Edwin Mulitalo, who were backups for most of Billick's time.

milkman 01-26-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429800)
My sarcasm meter has been on the fritz, so I'm going to assume you're agreeing with me.

Seriously - look at who they hit on the offensive side of the ball:

Jonathan Ogden and Jamal Lewis. Todd Heap would count if he could stay healthy.

Otherwise, Newsome really let Billick down. Awful, awful picks on the offensive side of the ball. The next best picks were Casey Rabach and Edwin Mulitalo, who were backups for most of Billick's time.

Yes, I was agreeing.
No sarcasm at all.

I do think Billick gets a bad rap, as you said.

Just look at his QBs.
Dilfer, GrBac and Boller.

That's Carl pathetic.

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 5429831)
Yes, I was agreeing.
No sarcasm at all.

I do think Billick gets a bad rap, as you said.

Just look at his QBs.
Dilfer, GrBac and Boller.

That's Carl pathetic.

Don't forget Anthony Wright and Chris Redman.

blueballs 01-26-2009 10:06 PM

heck no
we just got rid of one QB killer

RealSNR 01-26-2009 10:19 PM

Quote:

This. He might be overrated as an offense coach, but his teams were all about common sense. The Ravens were a feared team when he was coach because he was a great gameday coach. He's everything Herm Edwards isn't.

DeezNutz 01-26-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

How much say did he have in personnel decisions, though? Being an "offensive guy," it seems odd that he wouldn't have had a huge say in whom the team would draft on that side of the ball, especially at QB.

He's got to own this right? Talking strictly about player acquisitions, I'm not sure I see the difference in excusing Billick for the offensive failings and excusing Herm for some of the defensive failings in KC. Carl just didn't get the right players. Herm put too much faith in Gun. See what I mean?

I don't know that much about the Ravens, so perhaps someone could tell me where I'm going wrong?

In no way am I comparing Herm and BB as far as game-day strategy, just to be extra clear.

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5429889)
How much say did he have in personnel decisions, though? Being an "offensive guy," it seems odd that he wouldn't have had a huge say in whom the team would draft on that side of the ball, especially at QB.

He's got to own this right? Talking strictly about player acquisitions, I'm not sure I see the difference in excusing Billick for the offensive failings and excusing Herm for some of the defensive failings in KC. Carl just didn't get the right players. Herm put too much faith in Gun. See what I mean?

I don't know that much about the Ravens, so perhaps someone could tell me where I'm going wrong.

In no way am I comparing Herm and BB as far as game-day strategy, just to be extra clear.

I've followed the Ravens as closely as any NFL team not named "Chiefs" since Billick was hired.

Billick and his coaches gave Newsome and the staff suggestions, but ultimately, it was always Newsome's call. Billick gave Newsome free-reign after getting pissed about a trade with Atlanta that sent Baltimore's 2nd round pick in 1999 to the Falcons for their 1st in 2000.

Atlanta ended up sucking ass in 2000, and the Ravens turned that pick into Jamal Lewis.

From that moment on, Billick always deferred to Newsome on personnel matters.

DeezNutz 01-26-2009 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429902)
I've followed the Ravens as closely as any NFL team not named "Chiefs" since Billick was hired.

Billick and his coaches gave Newsome and the staff suggestions, but ultimately, it was always Newsome's call. Billick gave Newsome free-reign after getting pissed about a trade with Atlanta that sent Baltimore's 2nd round pick in 1999 to the Falcons for their 1st in 2000.

Atlanta ended up sucking ass in 2000, and the Ravens turned that pick into Jamal Lewis.

From that moment on, Billick always deferred to Newsome on personnel matters.

Great information. I didn't know any of this.

I follow Baltimore only so much as they're covered on the Sunday pre-game shows.

Sounds like my perception of BB might be completely ****ing wrong.

Mecca 01-26-2009 10:36 PM

Billick got the benefit of great draft picks like Travis Taylor...

I really have nothing against Billick, hiring him wouldn't bother me he seems to understand both sides of the ball are important.

Not to mention for the Cunningham remark he was laying brick in Las Vegas before he got the call from the Vikings.

Mecca 01-26-2009 10:36 PM

Billick got the benefit of great draft picks like Travis Taylor...

I really have nothing against Billick, hiring him wouldn't bother me he seems to understand both sides of the ball are important.

Not to mention for the Cunningham remark he was laying brick in Las Vegas before he got the call from the Vikings.

OnTheWarpath15 01-26-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5429911)
Great information. I didn't know any of this.

I follow Baltimore only so much as they're covered on the Sunday pre-game shows.

Sounds like my perception of BB might be completely ****ing wrong.

If you like to read, I highly recommend "Next Man Up" by John Feinstein.

He spends a season inside the Ravens organization - all access.

Really good read, IMO.

DeezNutz 01-26-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429927)

Really good read, IMO.

I'm a reader.

I'll check it out. Thanks.

Mecca 01-26-2009 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5429927)

Really good read, IMO.

Does he ask Billick why he wears a leather jacket on the sideline? Is it to look like he's cool?

Ebolapox 01-26-2009 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5429942)
Does he ask Billick why he wears a leather jacket on the sideline? Is it to look like he's cool?

if only he had long lustrous hair. then, that jacket would work.

Mecca 01-26-2009 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 5429947)
if only he had long lustrous hair. then, that jacket would work.

You shutup you, how'd you know I wear leather jackets?

Ebolapox 01-26-2009 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 5429952)
You shutup you, how'd you know I wear leather jackets?

eh, you seem the douchy long haired leather jacket type.

KCrockaholic 01-27-2009 12:04 AM

well how many head coaches have won superbowls with 2 different teams? Yes I ive said i want Cowher as our coach, but hes a different story. Billick, not even close. My first choice is to hire Todd Haley. I think his mentality would be perfect for our young team. face it, were a very soft team and herm has made us this way. We need a Hard-ass like Haley.

JuicesFlowing 01-27-2009 02:40 AM

I'd prefer Billick over Crennel, but that's about it.

SenselessChiefsFan 01-27-2009 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 5428977)

I do not like the guys personality. All coaches are somewhat egotistical. He takes it to another level.

I also think there is just something a little too 'used car salesman' about him to me.

That said, he has a great ability to adapt to his players, and not force his players to adapt to him. I think he is a bright guy, and a good coach.

I would be fine with the hire, but I would prefer someone else.

SenselessChiefsFan 01-27-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcrockaholic4life (Post 5430123)
well how many head coaches have won superbowls with 2 different teams? Yes I ive said i want Cowher as our coach, but hes a different story. Billick, not even close. My first choice is to hire Todd Haley. I think his mentality would be perfect for our young team. face it, were a very soft team and herm has made us this way. We need a Hard-ass like Haley.

It is one thing to bring discipline to a team. It is another to be confrontational to the point of counterproductivity.

Plus.... All Todd Haley has managed to do is come up with a good offensive scheme with Fitzgerald, Bolding, Warner, and Edgerine James.

I am not sold on him. But, I will say that if he comes to the Chiefs, I will pull for him and hope I am wrong.

FloridaMan88 01-27-2009 08:38 AM

A red flag when analyzing a guy's track record as head coach is the fact the primary and consistent weakness of his previous team was the area (offense) where the guy's expertise is in and the reason he was originally hired as their head coach.

If you want to hire Brian Billick, you better hope Ray Lewis, Ed Reed and Terrell Suggs come with him as a package deal.

Delano 01-27-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H5N1 (Post 5430001)
eh, you seem the douchy long haired leather jacket type.

Oh shit.

LMAO

HemiEd 01-27-2009 10:55 AM

I would have no problem with it, a better choice than a lot of the retreads mentioned lately.

patteeu 01-27-2009 11:08 AM

Some of the more notable QBs that have played for the Ravens during the Billick years:

Tony Banks
Trent Dilfer
Randal Cunningham (past his prime)
Jeff Blake (past his prime)
Kyle Boller
Steve McNair (past his prime)

And on top of that ignoble list, he gave Elvis Grbac a nice contract on the basis of what he'd done for the Chiefs!

Based on his QB associations alone, no thanks.

Brock 01-27-2009 11:09 AM

I'd take him over Shanahan.

Frosty 01-27-2009 11:25 AM

Billick seems like a smart guy with a good football mind. I could see him being able to do that "mind meld" thing with Pioli.

FringeNC 01-27-2009 11:26 AM

In 9 years at Baltimore, Billick's highest offensive ranking was 14, and it was usually in the 20s. To somehow deflect blame from him onto the front office for all of it is a joke.

ArrowheadHawk 01-27-2009 11:39 AM

Just say no. I would have rather kept herm.

CoMoChief 01-27-2009 11:41 AM

**** it lets hire Sean Salisbury for QB coach.

Frazod 01-27-2009 11:43 AM

He'd be a step up from Herm. Not sure how much of a step, though. :spock:

OnTheWarpath15 01-27-2009 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 5430730)
In 9 years at Baltimore, Billick's highest offensive ranking was 14, and it was usually in the 20s. To somehow deflect blame from him onto the front office for all of it is a joke.

Who blamed it all on the FO?

In my post, I said that Newsome did a bad job drafting offensive players, (which is a FACT) and that Billick's biggest mistake was trusting Matt Cavanaugh as his OC.

Some of you guys can't seem to make the distinction between coordinators and the head coach, and who is responsible for what.

FringeNC 01-27-2009 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 5430970)
Who blamed it all on the FO?

In my post, I said that Newsome did a bad job drafting offensive players, (which is a FACT) and that Billick's biggest mistake was trusting Matt Cavanaugh as his OC.

Some of you guys can't seem to make the distinction between coordinators and the head coach, and who is responsible for what.

I wouldn't hold Vermeil or Shanahan or Holmgrem or Billick responsible for defensive failures, but I would hold them responsible for offensive failures, given that is supposed to be the area of expertise. If they can't tell whether their OC is doing a good job, I don't think you can contend they have much of an expertise there.

I just don't see what Billick brings to the table at this point, other than calling out sideline reporters for being idiots.

OnTheWarpath15 01-27-2009 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 5431056)
I wouldn't hold Vermeil or Shanahan or Holmgrem or Billick responsible for defensive failures, but I would hold them responsible for offensive failures, given that is supposed to be the area of expertise. If they can't tell whether their OC is doing a good job, I don't think you can contend they have much of an expertise there.

I just don't see what Billick brings to the table at this point, other than calling out sideline reporters for being idiots.

LMAO

He'd fit right in here then, KC has some of the biggest media dumbasses available for him to call out.

ChiefPressure 12-12-2011 06:35 PM

up