ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Pets and digging (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=204599)

Dunit35 03-22-2009 07:28 PM

Pets and digging

My two Siberian Huskies are driving me nuts with their constant digging. I'm always outside covering up holes and it's starting to get old. I always tell them to stop when I catch them but most of the time they do it when I'm at work or school.

Does anybody have any ideas as to putting a stop to it?

Dunit35

beavis 03-22-2009 07:29 PM

Antifreeze?

kstater 03-22-2009 07:33 PM

Get them more exercise.

Kyle DeLexus 03-22-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 5602564)
Get them more exercise.

This is a big one great tip for Huskies.

Bugeater 03-22-2009 07:37 PM

Since antifreeze was already mentioned, I'll go shock collar.

Dunit35 03-22-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Get them more exercise.

Seems to be the answer. They use to play nonstop in the house until I got them a fenced yard. Now they play nonstop outside and sleep inside.

Guess it's time to get my walking shoes out.

Davechief 03-22-2009 07:37 PM

I've got a Siberian as well and don't have much advice to give. We have a lot of ground for him to run around on (all fenced in) and you never know when your gonna drop off the riding mower in a crater he's dug. To top that off one of our other dogs is a beagle who loves to team up with him on his digging sprees.

MTG#10 03-22-2009 07:39 PM

Huskies need an open field to play. My wife has wanted one the entire time Ive known her but we both refuse to get one until we get a house on some land. Our sub-division just wouldnt cut it for a husky.

Pioli Zombie 03-22-2009 07:40 PM

This is the first thread about dogs we've had on here for awhile that wasn't about people ****ing them. Refreshing.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats. 03-22-2009 07:46 PM

bury their shit in their holes. They did up a few of them they'll learn...

MTG#10 03-22-2009 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 5602598)
bury their shit in their holes. They did up a few of them they'll learn...

Ive heard this works as well. You can also put chicken wire in their holes. Some people build their dogs sandboxes and bury their toys/treats in it. They will then learn that is their "digging spot" and will usually only dig there. You have to make sure you fill it back in from time to time though.

DeezNutz 03-22-2009 07:54 PM

Quote:

Get them more exercise.

Usually the answer for destructive behavior.

One of the dog "experts" on tv, not the whisperer, says that dogs need two 30 minute walks per day.

Bwana 03-22-2009 08:04 PM

Electric fence........works for me.

Demonpenz 03-22-2009 08:37 PM

don't shoot them with a bb gun. I thought that was a good idea when my dog was doing it. Rip little guy

sd4chiefs 03-22-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 5602612)
Usually the answer for destructive behavior.

One of the dog "experts" on tv, not the whisperer, says that dogs need two 30 minute walks per day.

I walk my Caine terrior at least 30 minutes twice a day. If I don't he is bouncing of the walls and bugging the sh*t out of me that night. It takes time but I have lost 10 pounds and have kept it off since I got him two years ago. If there is a dog park in the area take them there unless they don't get along with other dogs.

BWillie 03-22-2009 08:39 PM

http://www.blackmeninamerica.com/Michael_Vick_Dog.jpg

Just a thought...

DeezNutz 03-22-2009 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 5602734)
I walk my Caine terrior at least 30 minutes twice a day. If I don't he is bouncing of the walls and bugging the sh*t out of me that night. It takes time but I have lost 10 pounds and have kept it off since I got him two years ago. If there is a dog park in the area take them there unless they don't get along with other dogs.

Good for you!

I enjoy it, myself. Just part of my daily routine.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2009 08:59 PM

I've also heard of putting some gravel in the holes when you bury the crap in it.

Teach 'em fetch. 20 minutes of them chasing tennis balls will really knock a lot of the piss and vinegar out of them. I've found that 15 minutes of fetch will knock out my labs for the night when it takes a walk of about an hour to do the same trick. A couple years ago it'd take 1/2 an hour of fetch, but at 4 years old, they're starting to lose some energy.

Crush 03-22-2009 09:21 PM

I heard that sprinkling pepper around the most frequent areas may help.

stlchiefs 03-22-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 5602801)
I've also heard of putting some gravel in the holes when you bury the crap in it.

Teach 'em fetch. 20 minutes of them chasing tennis balls will really knock a lot of the piss and vinegar out of them. I've found that 15 minutes of fetch will knock out my labs for the night when it takes a walk of about an hour to do the same trick. A couple years ago it'd take 1/2 an hour of fetch, but at 4 years old, they're starting to lose some energy.

15 minutes? Man you are lucky. The other night I gave up after an hour and a half of LONG fetch with a ball launcher. My 4 year old lab was still going and this was after the 2.5 mile run my wife had taken her on earlier in the afternoon.

DeezNutz 03-22-2009 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 5602801)

It's not just the physical stimulation that's needed, but the mental stimulation as well.

That's why walking, ideally, should be a part of the daily routine.

DJ's left nut 03-22-2009 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stlchiefs (Post 5602946)
15 minutes? Man you are lucky. The other night I gave up after an hour and a half of LONG fetch with a ball launcher. My 4 year old lab was still going and this was after the 2.5 mile run my wife had taken her on earlier in the afternoon.

Oh, mine will keep going until I stop throwing it. Well, one of them will, the other knows when its time to shut it down. I've had to tell friends to stop throwing them before because I genuinely believe that Patton would kill himself chasing tennis balls.

But it only takes about 15 minutes to get them to calm down for the evening. They'll still drop ropes in my lap and they'll definitely play if I want to, but they're significantly less ornery with just a little bit of exercise.

DN,

The mental stimulation wears off as soon as its done. When the walk's over, they're bored again. My boys run inside, get a drink and go right downstairs to find something to play with. If they're not tired at that point, they're gonna start screwing with stuff.

DeezNutz 03-22-2009 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 5602986)
Oh, mine will keep going until I stop throwing it. Well, one of them will, the other knows when its time to shut it down. I've had to tell friends to stop throwing them before because I genuinely believe that Patton would kill himself chasing tennis balls.

But it only takes about 15 minutes to get them to calm down for the evening. They'll still drop ropes in my lap and they'll definitely play if I want to, but they're significantly less ornery with just a little bit of exercise.

DN,

The mental stimulation wears off as soon as its done. When the walk's over, they're bored again. My boys run inside, get a drink and go right downstairs to find something to play with. If they're not tired at that point, they're gonna start screwing with stuff.

I'm saying that ideally they need both. Not either/or. I understand the need to wear them slick.

Demonpenz 03-22-2009 10:34 PM

I was at a friends house one day and they kept on throwing balls into the water and the lab went after it for 30 minutes or so throw after throw. Until exhaustion, he jumped in and sank like a rock. We jumped in and put him got him out. Some dogs will go until death.

PastorMikH 03-22-2009 10:43 PM

I have a Pointer and a Beagle, both are bad about digging. I tried a lot of the stuff you read on the 'net with not a lot of success. Ended up, I had to put them in a pen with hog panels on the ground around the perimeter of the pen's fence. The still dig in the center, of the pen, but that's their part of the yard so it doesn't bother me, especially since they can't dig out.

They only get out in the main yard when we are outside with them.

PastorMikH 03-22-2009 10:44 PM

One other thing, are they digging because the just love digging or are they going after moles and such?

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-23-2009 12:18 PM

There ain't nothin that can't be fixed with 300 bucks or a thirty ought six.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-23-2009 12:27 PM

Actually , this made me think of what we did to the neighbors bull when I lved in Oklahoma. The neighbors bull was ALWAYS jumping the fence onto my land and destroying hay bails as soon as we would get the hay bailed. After many run ins with said bull of having to run him back to his side and numerous complaints to the owner I finally said screw it . This bulls going down.

so, we shoot the bull with a tranqualizer and while it's in sleepy town we took liquid nail and glued some size 14 rubber boots on his feet. Then we took flourescent orange spray paint and cvoered that bastard head to toe.

Needless to say the owner fixed the fence to where he couldn't cross anymore.

MOhillbilly 03-23-2009 12:56 PM

mace. this is not a joke. you start associating dig/hole with hot pepper spray. it wont be near as much fun for em. spray the hole esp. when you know they are digging. be casual about it. make your own and make it strong.

this is money. take it to the bank.

Donger 03-23-2009 12:59 PM

Bury the dogs up to their necks and see how much they like digging.

MOhillbilly 03-23-2009 01:22 PM

alright people who want to condition your dogs but dont have either space or time let me introduce to some tricks of the trade.

flirtpole- 5 minutes or less for most dogs. dont wanna make them bored with it. i use an old fishing rod, twine & a squirrel,coon, fox, tail/pelt you can use toys, rags, whatever gets the prey responce motivated. i also dont let them catch it but thats and oldtimers deal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amRjASCm2Yk

springpole- all dogs are wired the same way(prey drive) so this should work on all types.

its alittle more difficult to build. couldnt find a good video(bunch of friggin idiots) this will give you an idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlhiaxD20Oc

couple things only let the dogs front paws off the ground and until the dog is two years old dont let them really get after it. dogs teeth dont fully set till after 2. and a dog on a spring pole with all fours off the ground runs the risk of injury and imo dont get as good a workout.

if you have two dogs train them one at a time. let the other watch while one is working. always encourage your pet.

googlegoogle 03-23-2009 01:28 PM

http://www.arlep.org/images/images/Milan13.jpg

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-23-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlegoogle (Post 5604231)

Oh Geez, A man with Camel toe. Is that you UP ?