ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Has our pass rush been adequately addressed? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=207738)

Hammock Parties 05-15-2009 01:43 PM

Has our pass rush been adequately addressed?

At this juncture it looks like Hali, Vrabel, Beisel and lord knows who else (McBride? lol) are going to be our outside pass rushers. Is that enough?

Personally I'm still holding out hope for Peppers, because I honestly don't see how that's enough. If we're gonna trade for and sign geriatrics at linebacker, might as well get a 29-year old stud DE while we're at it.

Deberg_1990 05-15-2009 01:45 PM

Good lord, for the millionth time. No, but Rome wasnt built in a day.

Piolo and Haley know this. Its not like they are sitting there thinking: "Yep, this is it. Print em"

Reaper16 05-15-2009 01:46 PM

No, they haven't. But I didn't see a whole lot of available options to address it, either.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2009 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5768249)
Good lord, for the millionth time. No, but Rome wasnt built in a day.

Piolo and Haley know this. Its not like they are sitting there thinking: "Yep, this is it. Print em"

The Chiefs made the same mistake last year. They went into the year thinking Hali could play RE and they'd generate pressure with blitzes from the linebackers.

FAIL

Direckshun 05-15-2009 01:47 PM

DeMorrio Williams?

Darrell Robertson?

DaneMcCloud 05-15-2009 01:48 PM

**** no.

And holding out for Peppers is tenuous at best.

Deberg_1990 05-15-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5768264)
The Chiefs made the same mistake last year. They went into the year thinking Hali could play RE and they'd generate pressure with blitzes from the linebackers.

FAIL

What would you have done? They addressed the BIGGEST need on this team first thing: QB. Please tell us oh mighty one.

Hammock Parties 05-15-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5768278)
What would you have done? They addressed the BIGGEST need on this team first thing: QB. Please tell us oh mighty one.

Hey, I'm not saying I know shit, or have a plan. But we could have at least made some effort. They appear to have made very little effort, as if they're comfortable with having the league's worst pass rush again.

Deberg_1990 05-15-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5768302)
They appear to have made very little effort, as if they're comfortable with having the league's worst pass rush again.

Key word: APPEAR.

None of us have any idea whats going on inside their heads or what they tried or didnt try to do.

Its obvious from the draft they wanted to address the D-Line and stopping the run. At least they seem to have a plan. One thing at a time.

htismaqe 05-15-2009 01:56 PM

There weren't any premiere 3-4 OLB's in this draft, and thus it was always going to be a 2-year process.

Dr. Van Halen 05-15-2009 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5768316)

None of us have any idea whats going on inside their heads or what they tried or didnt try to do.

Its obvious from the draft they wanted to address the D-Line and stopping the run. At least they seem to have a plan. One thing at a time.

No, but we can see the results. I don't think anyone should be happy about our pass rush for next season.

htismaqe 05-15-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5768316)

Stopping the run is a basic building block that we needed to address, probably before any other problem.

Deberg_1990 05-15-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THISmaqe (Post 5768341)
Stopping the run is a basic building block that we needed to address, probably before any other problem.

This. The Chiefs have been trying to fix that problem for most of a decade now.

MoreLemonPledge 05-15-2009 01:58 PM

Nope, best pass rush in the league. IT'S SCOTT PIOLI FOR **** SAKE.

raybec 4 05-15-2009 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5768278)

Not to mention they moved forward in fixing the run D. That was a bigger problem anyway.

CrazyPhuD 05-15-2009 02:01 PM

No not even close if we're lucky it'll be mediocre. But hopefully this draft will be like the 88 draft and next year will be like the 89 draft....

KCChiefsMan 05-15-2009 02:09 PM

I'm callin it, Vrabel will get 11 sacks, DJ will get 5, the starting d-line will get a combined 9 sacks and then a few others randomly. so over 20

Micjones 05-15-2009 02:17 PM

Chiefs brass did enough to improve the pass rush.
This certainly wouldn't be good enough to compete with though.

Rigodan 05-15-2009 02:19 PM

I'm fine with the players they've added, it's not like they had a lot of options, but the fact that Tim Krumrie is still employed by this team pisses me off to no end.

tymania 05-15-2009 02:22 PM

I think we will be better than last year, and could be surprised. when we run our 4-3 we will have a better pass rush than in the 3-4. I just wish we still had Jared Allen, but the past is the past and Albert is turning out to be a pretty good linemen.

Mr. Krab 05-15-2009 02:26 PM

Not even close, they didn't address it at all. They are just hoping that scheme brings more sacks.

DeepSouth 05-15-2009 02:36 PM

Other people on here have mentioned it before, the players might not be as bad as last year indicated. Coaching had a lot to do with the defensive problems. Gailey had full control of the offense and it scored points later in the season. I feel the defense was hamstrung by Edwards and Gun and the players gave up on them.

talastan 05-15-2009 02:37 PM

They addressed stopping the run. If they hadn't any other opposing offense regardless of how good or bad they'd be could have the one thing that would kill us, balance.

By focusing on shoring up the run D they've decided that they'll at least take the chance of making other teams focus on having to pass to beat us. Big show of confidence in our young secondary IMO. Not to mention that the primary weapons for all of our division is going to be the runningbacks. LT, McFadden, and now Moreno are who they are focused on stopping this year. I'm happy with the work they were able to do so far this year. Is it all fixed, nope.

htismaqe 05-15-2009 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5768513)
Not even close, they didn't address it at all. They are just hoping that scheme brings more sacks.

Actually, I think they KNOW they won't get more sacks. They're looking towards next year's draft to get a pass rusher. I think they see it as a multi-year process. They get the guys up front this year to occupy blockers and next year concentrate on the actual pass rushers.

EyePod 05-15-2009 02:46 PM

It's not worse than it was last year...

EyePod 05-15-2009 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THISmaqe (Post 5768577)
Actually, I think they KNOW they won't get more sacks. They're looking towards next year's draft to get a pass rusher. I think they see it as a multi-year process. They get the guys up front this year to occupy blockers and next year concentrate on the actual pass rushers.

Occupying blockers was half the problem last time. We will have more sacks, from DJ alone (well, he won't hit double digits but I'm expecting about 7 from him... OR ELSE).

keg in kc 05-15-2009 02:52 PM

Adequately? I don't know. That's a loose term.

Either way, the idea that they didn't address it at all is a little off-base. They added bodies up front with their two top draft picks, they've changed schemes and shaken things up a little on the roster.

People wanting a one-year fix were going to be disappointed anyway. 2009 isn't going to be pretty regardless of how "adequate" they were in addressing any one of their several needs. We're talking about a team that's won 6 games in two years. 6 wins in 2009 would be an accomplishment, and .500 would be miraculous. There's no quick fix.

Which I think they show they understand by signing the kind of placeholder free agents they've signed. Although most of the media apparently doesn't get that.

Mr. Krab 05-15-2009 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 5768611)
Adequately? I don't know. That's a loose term.

Either way, the idea that they didn't address it at all is a little off-base. They added bodies up front with their two top draft picks, they've changed schemes and shaken things up a little on the roster.

People wanting a one-year fix were going to be disappointed anyway. 2009 isn't going to be pretty regardless of how "adequate" they were in addressing any one of their several needs. We're talking about a team that's won 6 games in two years. 6 wins in 2009 would be an accomplishment, and .500 would be miraculous. There's no quick fix.

Which I think they show they understand by signing the kind of placeholder free agents they've signed. Although most of the media apparently doesn't get that.

addressing the defensive line and addressing the pass rush aren't necessarily the same thing. Both guys they added along the defensive line aren't considered pass rush guys. They only things they did that could be legitimately Pass Rush related are changing scheme and trading for Vrabel.

keg in kc 05-15-2009 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5768627)
addressing the defensive line and addressing the pass rush aren't necessarily the same thing. Both guys they added along the defensive line aren't considered pass rush guys. They only things they did that could be legitimately Pass Rush related are changing scheme and trading for Vrabel.

Being a pass rusher and having a positive impact on the pass rush are mutually-exclusive things.

htismaqe 05-15-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5768627)

Indirectly, addressing the line and addressing the pass rush are the same. 3-4 OLB can't rush the passer, and 3-4 ILB's can't make tackles, if the guys in front of them can't keep offensive linemen off of them.

There just wasn't much out there in the pass rush department this past draft. So it makes sense to address the guys in front of them.

DaneMcCloud 05-15-2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 5768348)
This. The Chiefs have been trying to fix that problem for most of a decade now.

Almost?

I'd say since 1998. Chester McGlockton trade ring a bell?

Mr. Krab 05-15-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by THISmaqe (Post 5768639)
Indirectly, addressing the line and addressing the pass rush are the same. 3-4 OLB can't rush the passer, and 3-4 ILB's can't make tackles, if the guys in front of them can't keep offensive linemen off of them.

There just wasn't much out there in the pass rush department this past draft. So it makes sense to address the guys in front of them.

Yea, and drafting Donald Washington this year might improve our secondary which will help the pass rush too. Having a better offense will be pressure on the other team which could help our pass rush too.

Yes, any improvement of our team helps synergystically. But as far as direct effect to the pass rush, we didn't do much at all besides change to scheme that might help us manufacture sacks.

DaneMcCloud 05-15-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5768684)
Yea, and drafting Donald Washington this year might improve our secondary which will help the pass rush too. Having a better offense will be pressure on the other team which could help our pass rush too.

You're of the opinion that the offense will be better in '09?

Whoa.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-15-2009 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoreLemonPledge (Post 5768349)
Nope, best pass rush in the league. IT'S SCOTT PIOLI FOR **** SAKE.

RAISE THE ROOF BROTHER!!!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/SCsGz_BuHTU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SCsGz_BuHTU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ROFL

Hammock Parties 05-15-2009 03:47 PM

That's exactly what Jesus had in mind.

notorious 05-15-2009 03:51 PM

I think that using a scheme that attacks instead of sits back and reacts is going to improve this defense.

Then again, we couldn't get much worse on D, so.......

Sure-Oz 05-15-2009 04:03 PM

Im sure brandon flowers will lead the team with 4 sacks

Rain Man 05-15-2009 04:06 PM

It appears that we're trading:

Hali Tyler Dorsey Babin/McBride Johnson P. Thomas Williams

in our front seven for

Jackson Tyler Dorsey McBride/Hali Johnson Z. Thomas Vrabel

or something like that.

I'm not sure I see a huge improvement at this point unless the scheme and game-planning make better use of them. That's quite possible. However, I'm not overly confident right now in having Krumrie coaching a bevy of high-round picks. I'm wondering if part of the new scheme involves having Krumrie coach a run-stuffing line and then having the linebackers provide the rush.

I don't remember. Who's our linebackers coach, and what's his history?

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-15-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5768764)
That's exactly what Jesus had in mind.

Pioli Bless You my child.

LaChapelle 05-15-2009 04:36 PM

I'm more concerned with preventing sacks. Defenses can shake it off and play again. QB's with Brodie Croyle type injuries are another matter.

MoreLemonPledge 05-15-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 5768829)
I don't remember. Who's our linebackers coach, and what's his history?

Gary Gibbs, most recently the Saints DC.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/coach/gary_gibbs/