ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Thigpen happy with Chiefs QB situation (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=209064)

Fire Me Boy! 06-15-2009 08:55 AM

Thigpen happy with Chiefs QB situation

http://www.wmbfnews.com/Global/story.asp?S=10529270

Quote:

MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) - At the start of CCU's charity golf tournament, Tyler Thigpen was introduced by Chanticleer head coach David Bennett as the starting quarterback for the Kansas City Chiefs. That title may be a little optimistic, but that doesn't bother Thigpen.

The former CCU star was in town for the golf tournament, but will return to Kansas City to get back to Chiefs' OTAs. There were plenty of questions about the budding quarterback controversy between he and former New England QB Matt Cassell, but Thigpen says he doesn't focus on it. More >>
<script type='text/javascript' src='http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/video/videoplayer.js?rnd=784406;hostDomain=www.wmbfnews.com;playerWidth=300;playerHeight=240;isShowIcon=tr ue;clipId=3865489;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript'></script>

Bill Lundberg 06-15-2009 09:03 AM

While I don't think he's quite starter material yet; I am a fan of Tyler Thigpen.

Scorp 06-15-2009 09:05 AM

Everyone can dream, but sooner or later you have to wake up Thiggy!

Enjoy the bench.

Consistent1 06-15-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scorp (Post 5840156)
Everyone can dream, but sooner or later you have to wake up Thigpen!

Enjoy the bench.

While this is true, at least he can be a good back-up player. That helps some. He has over achieved pretty well and seems to have a good attitude. If indeed he was the starter for the opener, I think that would be a bad omen. As a fill in guy, not bad.

Fritz88 06-15-2009 09:09 AM

I hope he gives Matt a run for his money. It's only going to improve the team.

18 TDs and ran for 3. I have to respect that.

Gonzo 06-15-2009 09:16 AM

Of course he's happy. He's still employed.

InChiefsHeaven 06-15-2009 09:21 AM

Tyler is smart, he's not going to say anything negative.

He may know that Cassell is going to be the starter, but I guarantee he believes that he could be the starter instead. I'd expect him to believe that and to work his ass off to make it happen. Otherwise, what's the point?

If he could beat out Cassell, then I say more power to him. Regardless, he's a good team mate and the only way any controversy happens with him will be because he lets his play do the talking, and it turns out he's a better QB. He's a good kid...

Brock 06-15-2009 09:31 AM

Why wouldn't he be happy? He's the most popular guy in town, the backup QB.

Huffman83 06-15-2009 09:52 AM

It would suck for this to turn into another Gannon type situation. I think the guy is really talented and could probably put up great numbers for any team he played for. But I admit that I say that because he's not the starting qb for KC this year.

If he won more games last year then there would have been a good chance that Pioli wouldn't have traded for Cassel.

Preseason is going to be interesting if Thigpen plays better than Cassel though.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2009 09:54 AM

What the **** is this bullshit? Is there reerunade in the water at CCU?

petegz28 06-15-2009 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5840275)
What the **** is this bullshit? Is there reerunade in the water at CCU?

Maybe you should do ANOTHER Thigy highlight video?

Quesadilla Joe 06-15-2009 10:02 AM

Everything that I have read about the Chiefs so far this offseason has said that Thigpen has actually outplayed Cassel. I don't think Thigpen is getting a fair shake in KC.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2009 10:12 AM

WHY IS OUR BACKUP QUARTERBACK RELEVANT? WHY? THIS STINKS LIKE HERM!

SAUTO 06-15-2009 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5840324)

STFU go ask the pats why backup QBs mean something

petegz28 06-15-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 5840331)
STFU go ask the pats why backup QBs mean something

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

chiefzilla1501 06-15-2009 10:27 AM

Quote:

Because we have a guy coming in who's slight unknown being backed up by a guy who's also unknown.

There's still a decent chance taht Thigpen will need to come in as a Plan B. This isn't like the Trent Green years where we knew who our long-term starter was, and it's not like last year when it was Brodie Croyle vs. the young, developmental guy who barely earned a roster spot. While there's no QB competition, this is a situation where the backup still has a shot at producing this season. Especially true, given that I expect the Chiefs to run a lot of wildcat looks this year w/Thigpen.

Mr. Krab 06-15-2009 10:37 AM

Thigpen haters are lame.

HypnotizedMonkey 06-15-2009 10:45 AM

he will be a solid backup and probably get some PT this year.

LaChapelle 06-15-2009 10:51 AM

Tyler Thigpen was a startng QB for Herm Edwards and never missed a game to injury.

KEEP ****ING DOUBTING TYLER THIGPEN!!!!

penguinz 06-15-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChapelle (Post 5840397)
Tyler Thigpen was a startng QB for Herm Edwards and never missed a game to injury.

Wrong. ;)

Pro Career

Talented quarterback prospect enters his second campaign in Kansas City … Will make his first trek to training camp with the Chiefs in 2008 … Joined the Chiefs after he was claimed off waivers by Kansas City from Minnesota on September 2nd of last season … Is expected to battle for the club’s backup quarterback position … Versatile athlete who is dangerous as either a passer or runner … Possesses a strong arm and has displayed the ability to make every requisite throw at the pro level … Served as the club’s third QB in 11 games a year ago … Saw action in one contest as a rookie, completing two of six passes for 41 yards with an INT for an 18.8 rating … Suffered a left knee injury during practice on December 5th and was subsequently placed on injured reserve … Originally entered the NFL when Minnesota selected him in the seventh round (217th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft.

Gdaddy 06-15-2009 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowMo2724 (Post 5840301)
Everything that I have read about the Chiefs so far this offseason has said that Thigpen has actually outplayed Cassel. I don't think Thigpen is getting a fair shake in KC.

That is a stretch to suggest "everything you have read".

Fair shake? He had his chances last year, he didnt play "lights out". You certainly cannot blame him for every loss but he is not a franchise QB.
BEFORE YOU SAY IT.....Cassel hasnt proven himself either, but he deserves a shot this season. He basically has the same offense as Thiggy minus Gonzo. Lets give Cassel 12 games to see how he does.

King_Chief_Fan 06-15-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

you have enough issues in Donk land to worry about.

R&GHomer 06-15-2009 12:04 PM

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, aside from his accuracy I really like Thigpen. But, in all fairness he's bound to be doing better than Cassel, he's had a lot more time with most of our receivers. It takes time to get in sync.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-15-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

The more relevant observation would be:

"A 7th rounder from No Name U, and a good ol' fashion Chiefs hand me-down in the spirit of All Who Came Before Him; WHOOPTI-****IN DO"!

Skip Towne 06-15-2009 12:20 PM

Oh, geez, the Planet has been re-infected.

Hydrae 06-15-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 5840208)
Why wouldn't he be happy? He's the most popular guy in town, the backup QB.

Yep

Contrarian 06-15-2009 12:30 PM

I like Thiggy the only thing that I don't like is the fact that he can't play under center.
God you Thigpen rump riders are frickin reeruned.
Cassell is our QB this year, good or bad in these whoopty frickin doo OTA's.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-15-2009 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skip Towne (Post 5840558)
Oh, geez, the Planet has been re-infected.

When you build the monster, don't act surprised when the village gets jacked, Jack.

Tiger's Fan 06-15-2009 12:49 PM

Anyone who's been watching replays of Patriot games on NFLN, and still thinks theres a QB competition on the Chiefs roster is a brain dead idiot.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2009 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Hymen (Post 5840644)
Anyone who's been watching replays of Patriot games on NFLN, and still thinks theres a QB competition on the Chiefs roster is a brain dead idiot.

Yup. Cassel's accuracy blows Thigpen's out of the water.

Mr. Krab 06-15-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrarian (Post 5840574)
I like Thiggy the only thing that I don't like is the fact that he can't play under center.
God you Thigpen rump riders are frickin reeruned.
Cassell is our QB this year, good or bad in these whoopty frickin doo OTA's.

You realize that Cassel was playing the spread last year for the pats, right?

orange 06-15-2009 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raised On Riots (Post 5840537)
The more relevant observation would be:

"A 7th rounder from No Name U, and a good ol' fashion Chiefs hand me-down in the spirit of All Who Came Before Him; WHOOPTI-****IN DO"!

"... And After Him"

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-15-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orange (Post 5841284)
"... And After Him"

I look forward to many 5th and 6th round garage sales to come.:rolleyes:

LaChapelle 06-15-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 5840426)
Wrong. ;)

Pro Career

Talented quarterback prospect enters his second campaign in Kansas City … Will make his first trek to training camp with the Chiefs in 2008 … Joined the Chiefs after he was claimed off waivers by Kansas City from Minnesota on September 2nd of last season … Is expected to battle for the club’s backup quarterback position … Versatile athlete who is dangerous as either a passer or runner … Possesses a strong arm and has displayed the ability to make every requisite throw at the pro level … Served as the club’s third QB in 11 games a year ago … Saw action in one contest as a rookie, completing two of six passes for 41 yards with an INT for an 18.8 rating … Suffered a left knee injury during practice on December 5th and was subsequently placed on injured reserve … Originally entered the NFL when Minnesota selected him in the seventh round (217th overall) of the 2007 NFL Draft.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2009 04:52 PM

I wonder if Damon Huard was happy with the QB situation in 2005?

SAUTO 06-15-2009 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5841580)
I wonder if Damon Huard was happy with the QB situation in 2005?

who ****ing cares.

BarrySPAMAID 06-15-2009 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaChapelle (Post 5841570)

Actually Brodie was Herman's first choice. And yes, Tyler did quite well last year. Having said that, Tyler Thigpen vs Brodie Croyle is a matchup that I will be paying very close attention to. We all know who has the better arm.

Hammock Parties 06-15-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 5841638)
who ****ing cares.

My reaction to this report.

stlchiefs 06-15-2009 11:12 PM

I was a fan of Thigpen last year. He was the only QB who was able to come into our horrible O and porous line and produce. The guy found ways to put points up when no other QB on the team could, not saying we were stacked at QB. I love seeing a QB who can scramble too, it's just so demoralizing for a D to shut down the routes, get pressure and then give up a 1st down.

BossChief 06-16-2009 03:12 AM

Id like to throw out some possibly overlooked facts concerning Thigpen (and therefore throwing caution to the wind as far as rep goes):

when he got to Coastal Carolina, they didnt even have a football team.
His first year there, they didnt even play games, they just practiced through the year, but he was named the teams leader and quarterback, showing that he obviously has NATURAL LEADERSHIP SKILLS
When they did play games the next year, he only completed around 45% if his passes.
His accuracy and completion percentage got notably better each year there.
His final year at CC, he lead his team to a national 1-aa championship, while having a 65% completion percentage while being a huge threat to run effectively. This makes me think his accuracy will increase greatly with experience and getting comfortable in the NFL.
He was a 7th round choice of the Vikings and they literally didnt play him (almost at all) in preseason because they hoped to slip him on the practice squad...and they waived him. This seems outrageous coming from a noob, but Childress said this was the case in an interview after he was claimed. Look it up if you so please.
When he was waived, over ten teams showed interest in claiming him. All without seeing him almost at all in preseason.
His first NFL start was horendous, not achieving a first down till around the 2-minute warning in the first half, but had a solid second half and improved through the year.
His statistics last year were almost a carbon copy of Ben Rothlisbergers superbowl year, Joe Flaccos rookie campain, Matt Ryans "", shit, compare the numbers to almost any great/franchise qbs first, or second year, and it will surely surprise you.
He learned the EXACT same offense the Cardinals and Patriots ran (its called the Perkins-Ernhart system) "on the fly" and ABSOLUTLY resurected an offense that couldnt move the ball for almost two years!
As most HOF qbs (not insinuating he will be one at all, let me get that out there) his passing touchdowns were about double his interceptions.
He took LESS sacks, behind the same line, in his final 10 starts as the combined qbs had taken in the first 6!
He stared down Tony G alot, but also helped Bowe achieve over 1000 yards and over 85 catches, and knew when to check it down and take what is given.

Ok, I guess my point is that, if he had even an average defense to hold leads and was a first rounder from a bigger school, would we be talking about his replacement? Or would we be talking about what he needs to work on to progress on schedule in his third year as a pro and first year going in as the starter in the NFL?

I think that it is very fortunate that if there is no new collective bargaining agreement by next year, we have both qbs for the next two years to make a more educated and informed decision on which qb will lead us on a deep run in 2010-2011.

Honestly, I feel that if he had been claimed by the Patriots and had benefited from three years of superior coaching as well as tutilige (sp?) from a future HOFer such as Tom Montana, and had to take the keys of that Ferrari early in game one, he would have been equally as effective as Cassel was, if not more.

I just hope we dont replay the Grbac/Gannon situation and miss that lightening in a bottle again!

Good day Chiefs fans!

Hope this didnt disturb too many haters!

BossChief 06-16-2009 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Krab's (Post 5840808)
You realize that Cassel was playing the spread last year for the pats, right?

Not just the "spread" but the exact same version of it (Perkins-Ernhart) ran mostly from the shotgun.

Cassel was borderline horid under center last preseason iirc.

Cassel was the most sacked qb in the NFL last year. Taking 47 sacks!

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-16-2009 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrysKOOLAID (Post 5842132)
Actually Brodie was Herman's first choice. And yes, Tyler did quite well last year. Having said that, Tyler Thigpen vs Brodie Croyle is a matchup that I will be paying very close attention to. We all know who has the better arm.

Dude, that's like saying "Tom and Jerry is a matchup I'll be closely watching".

And if anybody is truly wandering why Thigpen is still around, it's because nothing has changed in terms of the type of offense we'll be running, we just need him to step in if our High Profile Spread Monkey( yes, NE had to dumb their shit down for him too )gets pounded in to the grass one time too many.

But...but...

But NOTHING. It is what it is.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-16-2009 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 5842324)
Not just the "spread" but the exact same version of it (Perkins-Ernhart) ran mostly from the shotgun.

We got a ways to go yet, but so far the OTA's are spelling the shit out pretty ****ing clearly to me. This has FAIL written all over it.

Thank God there are three phases to this game.

WildTurkey 06-16-2009 04:29 AM

Watch game film of both Cassel and Thigpen(hell Thigpen got outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick) and if you still think Thigpen will push him for a job, than I want whatever drug and or alcoholic beverage you have been enjoying

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-16-2009 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildTurkey (Post 5842338)
Watch game film of both Cassel and Thigpen(hell Thigpen got outplayed by Ryan Fitzpatrick) and if you still think Thigpen will push him for a job, than I want whatever drug and or alcoholic beverage you have been enjoying

Thigpen's matching him throw for throw in OTA's so far. You laugh about it, but everyday it becomes more and more the truth.

Coach 06-16-2009 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claythan (Post 5842153)
My reaction to this report.

Why are you still here? :shake:

Get lost, numbnuts.

RippedmyFlesh 06-16-2009 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buster Hymen (Post 5840644)

Agree 100%
When you watch NE games from last year you see him most of the time have time to look off 1 rec then throw. people who think he had all day to pick apart a D just haven't watched NE games from last year.
Even before brady was hurt NE o-line wasn't the best in the league.

ESPN Stats & Information tracked the number of times quarterbacks were hit while throwing in 2006 and 2007. Brady and Carson Palmer each took 86 hits, tied for most on the list. In 2007, pass-rushers hit Brady 42 times while throwing, second to Kurt Warner's 51.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0...ilt-Brady.html

I respect tyler, to me he had to be one of the toughest sob's in the league to do what he did behind that O line. But when you watch the games the touch..the accurate down field throws..the whole package it's matt not tyler.

JD10367 06-16-2009 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 5842324)

Yeah, but a lot of those came early on when he was getting his feet wet.

As to the larger question of who's better, or if Cassel's for real... who knows? Truthfully, maybe if you'd swapped their positions at the start of last season, Thigpen would've looked balls-to-the-wall as a Patriots QB and Cassel may have looked like shit as a Chief and won the same number of games with a similar stat line. Being a QB is sort of like getting laid at a bar: you might have decent moves, but if you don't make a good first impression no one will ever know, LOL. Cassel was a wingman who only got his shot when the stud slipped and hit his head on the bar, and Cassel moved in on his girl. :D

Cassel's probably a bit overrated at the moment, and Thigpen's probably a bit underrated. Neither of them are Brady or Peyton Manning, probably, but I'd bet neither of them suck ass like a good 1/3rd of QBs out there right now. The QB position is probably the least-worrisome one for the Chiefs, I'd think.