ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Slugger puts out eye with hot dog, Royals sued. Film at 11. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=223841)

mikeyis4dcats. 02-23-2010 12:32 PM

Slugger puts out eye with hot dog, Royals sued. Film at 11.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/02/23/kansas...gger-the-lion/

tyton75 02-23-2010 12:35 PM

Thats freaking reeruned

mikeyis4dcats. 02-23-2010 12:37 PM

actually I have to say, as far as these things go, this seems pretty legitimate.

WoodDraw 02-23-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6553521)
actually I have to say, as far as these things go, this seems pretty legitimate.

No joke.

That entire thing is ****ing idiotic anyway. MLB games are a joke inbetween innings. I'm embarrassed every time I see them launch hotdogs or run around dressed up as mustard. So dumb.

doomy3 02-23-2010 12:52 PM

The guy who was playing Slugger last year (and since the Slugger mascot has been around) was fired this offseason. Wonder if this is why?

L.A. Chieffan 02-23-2010 12:54 PM

25 K? Thats it? id sue for more than that, shit.

ok ok i know its the royals but still

Shox 02-23-2010 01:29 PM

If Slugger can sling a hotdog hard enough to put an eye out the Royals need to sign him to a player contract now!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like a good #3 man in the rotation to me.

sportsman1 02-23-2010 01:34 PM

I agree.. I could understand with an air gun, but his hand? Come on.. he needs to be in the rotation lmao.

Fish 02-23-2010 01:37 PM

In related news.... Kyle Farnsworth has been relegated back to the bullpen due to the signing of a new mystery pitcher that the team says was already with the organization, but in a non-baseball capacity. No news yet as to the identity of the newly signed pitcher who is expected to be added to the rotation right away.

bowener 02-23-2010 01:38 PM

Well, I have to give the guy props for only asking for what he deserves, 25K. Though I do have to say, blinding a man in one eye seems like it could be worth a hell of a lot more. I know it would significantly change my life style, and/or capabilities.

Either way, this is pretty ****ed up.

Rooster 02-23-2010 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6553693)
In related news.... Kyle Farnsworth has been relegated back to the bullpen due to the signing of a new mystery pitcher that the team says was already with the organization, but in a non-baseball capacity. No news yet as to the identity of the newly signed pitcher who is expected to be added to the rotation right away.

ROFLROFL Rick Vaughn??

tyton75 02-23-2010 01:53 PM

I don't know.. this just sounds like Horseshit... the only thing making me believe it might be legit is he is only asking for 25k..

I mean.. I couldn't blind a guy with a hot dog if I was trying! how does that happen!?

Braincase 02-23-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster (Post 6553709)
ROFLROFL Rick Vaughn??

Sidd Finch

JOhn 02-23-2010 02:01 PM

I could understand if it was some chick bitching, you know......

Unless the dude was gay...NTTATWWT.

Maybe that is why he's only suing for 25k?:doh!:

The Franchise 02-23-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Coomer is now suing the Royals for more than $25k for negligence and battery -- claiming they "failed to adequately train its agents ... in the proper method in which to throw hotdogs into the stands at Kauffman Stadium."
LMAO

What's the proper way to throw hotdogs into the stands?

wild1 02-23-2010 02:08 PM

Are we sure the guy wasn't just blinded when he looked at the lineup?

JD10367 02-23-2010 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOhn (Post 6553737)
I could understand if it was some chick bitching, you know......

Unless the dude was gay...NTTATWWT.

Maybe that is why he's only suing for 25k?:doh!:

Well, maybe it wasn't actually a hot dog that put his eye out. LMAO

Sofa King 02-23-2010 02:28 PM

perhaps he was blind before he got there... an now he's using this as an excuse to get 25 grand and not have it questioned... assuming they (the Royals) would be more than happy to give him 25k to shut up and not take them to court.. where they could lose more.....

wonder if the cops tazed him.. Epic Beard Guy style...

^neither is a serious comment... lets just get that outta the way

JohnnyV13 02-23-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 6553568)
25 K? Thats it? id sue for more than that, shit.

ok ok i know its the royals but still

TMZ is just getting that off the pleadings. Every court has damage limits to get into that court. That "over 25K" is probably a pleading designed to get into the venue the plantiff wants. For example, to be eligible for federal trial courts usually you have to plead damages in excess of 50K.

Bottom line, the plaintiff probably will ask for more, but hasn't yet determined the exact damages they will seek at this point in the process.

Pushead2 02-23-2010 03:24 PM

ROFL

JD10367 02-23-2010 03:52 PM

"Bitch, you got your weiner in my eye!"

"Oh, yeah, miss thang? Well, YOU got your eye on my weiner!"

"Hey! Two great tastes that taste great together!"

Spicy McHaggis 02-23-2010 10:33 PM

Taking a cue from SeaWorld, the Royals did warn the audience at the start of the game that the first 12 rows may be struck with a wiener.

Tits McGee 02-23-2010 11:02 PM

At some point Darwin's theory needs to kick in.

JD10367 02-23-2010 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spicy McHaggis (Post 6554742)
Taking a cue from SeaWorld, the Royals did warn the audience at the start of the game that the first 12 rows may be struck with a wiener.

What a coincidence, I think Tiger Woods warned all the women in the first row of the gallery of the same thing. :D

BWillie 02-24-2010 12:12 AM

Slugger isn't as bad as KC Wolf. KC Wolf is a DICKKK. He shoots t-shirts out of that gun right point blank into the second row.

Demonpenz 02-24-2010 08:38 AM

Poz list of oddities that only happens to the royals has to grow larger now.

stevieray 02-24-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie007 (Post 6554945)
Slugger isn't as bad as KC Wolf. KC Wolf is a DICKKK. He shoots t-shirts out of that gun right point blank into the second row.

make the bad man stop, mommy!

Mr. Flopnuts 02-24-2010 08:55 AM

"What happened to your eye?"

"I was stabbed with a wiener."

-King- 02-24-2010 09:34 AM

God, you gotta be a pussy to sue for this. And he claims he also got cataracts from this. ....yeah, cataracts.
Posted via Mobile Device

gblowfish 02-24-2010 09:59 AM

Sluggerrr is the only Royal who isn't afraid to move somebody off the plate.

banyon 02-24-2010 10:28 AM

Damn, it. You can't just can't do anything fun these days without there being a lawsuit and ruining it.

This lawsuit looks like BS to me. The defense will be "assumption of risk" I would think. If this guy has been to a Royals game before, he knew that this happened, or if not, he should have known that baseballs (or bats) were likely to fly in the stands. If you go to a baseball game, get your damn hands up, Jesus.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-24-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcChiefsKing (Post 6555231)
God, you gotta be a pussy to sue for this. And he claims he also got cataracts from this. ....yeah, cataracts.
Posted via Mobile Device

you can get cataracts as a result of a detached retina.

If he had been hit by a ball or bat, I would agree with the assessment that those things are to be expected. What shouyld be expected is having someone sling a hotdog at you.

38yrsfan 02-24-2010 03:04 PM

what a weanie

Donger 02-24-2010 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"Have you seen my wiener?"

-King- 02-24-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 6555811)
you can get cataracts as a result of a detached retina.

If he had been hit by a ball or bat, I would agree with the assessment that those things are to be expected. What shouyld be expected is having someone sling a hotdog at you.

There's no way he developed it as a result of a hot dog hitting him in the eye. Fesco(sp) on 610 was talking about it this morning and he had an eye doctor and a person who deals with eye glasses confirm that there's no way this guy could have gotten cataracts from a weiner hitting him in the eye.

Hell, for a hot dog to have any type of damage, it would have to travel very ****ing fast.

I bet stuart scott wants to kick this pussy's ass right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

seclark 02-24-2010 03:16 PM

can you imagine all the jokes this dude's going to hear for the rest of his life?

if it was me, and i could get 25k out of it, i'd laugh my ass off w/the rest of them.
sec

Bill Lundberg 02-24-2010 03:20 PM

A wayward wiener earned Coomer the nickname "One Eye"

-King- 02-24-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6556047)
can you imagine all the jokes this dude's going to hear for the rest of his life?

if it was me, and i could get 25k out of it, i'd laugh my ass off w/the rest of them.
sec

25k is a lot...but its not really worth this.

The fine print on the back of tickets protects the royals from losing. They're going to win and the guy will have to live the rest of his life as the guy who got injured by a hot dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

seclark 02-24-2010 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcChiefsKing (Post 6556061)
25k is a lot...but its not really worth this.

The fine print on the back of tickets protects the royals from losing. They're going to win and the guy will have to live the rest of his life as the guy who got injured by a hot dog.
Posted via Mobile Device

seriously, i agree. that you shouldn't get the cash.

i'm just saying i hope mr. iwasbeanedbyaweiner has a good sense of humor, cause it's coming.
sec

-King- 02-24-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 6556075)
seriously, i agree. that you shouldn't get the cash.

i'm just saying i hope mr. iwasbeanedbyaweiner has a good sense of humor, cause it's coming.
sec

The gay jokes the guy has coming will be epic.
Posted via Mobile Device

mikeyis4dcats. 02-24-2010 04:26 PM

I guess it's karma, I start this thread then this afternoon I get my eyeball punctured by a piece of ice in the office parking lot.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-24-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcChiefsKing (Post 6556046)
There's no way he developed it as a result of a hot dog hitting him in the eye. Fesco(sp) on 610 was talking about it this morning and he had an eye doctor and a person who deals with eye glasses confirm that there's no way this guy could have gotten cataracts from a weiner hitting him in the eye.

Hell, for a hot dog to have any type of damage, it would have to travel very ****ing fast.

I bet stuart scott wants to kick this pussy's ass right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.innvista.com/health/ailme...l/detached.htm

complications can include cataracts.

As far as what could have caused it, I was seriously in the office parking lot after lunch today looking at some equipment and had a small 1/2" flake of ice fell off the equipment and hit my eye. Doc says I have a puncture in my eyeball.

salame 02-24-2010 04:39 PM

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/...hotdog-600.jpg

luv 09-17-2013 01:41 PM

http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/sup...602CqYD0x4V5QA

Supreme Court to Decide if KC Royals Mascot was Negligent in Hot Dog-Throwing Incident

A Royals fan who claims he suffered a detached retina when Sluggerrr the Mascot hit him in the face with a hot dog has taken his suit all the way to the Missouri Supreme Court.

Sports fan John Coomer is suing the Kansas City Royals for $25,000 on a claim of negligence. His attorney, Robert Tormohlen tells the Supreme Court Sluggerrr knew better, and had been trained on how to "throw the hot dogs lightly," and "was well aware that if he winged a hot dog at someone, he could seriously injure that person."

Judge Richard Teitelman asks if Coomer should have anticipated the risk, seeing that Coomer has been to more than 175 games. Judge Laura Denvir-Stith continued that line of questioning, pointing out that sports fans attend games not only for the game itself, but for the spectacle that comes with it.

The incident was reported in 2009; a jury ruled against Coomer in 2011, saying Coomer assumed the risk of a hot-dog-related injury when he bought his ticket to the game. Tormohlen says there's a difference between a hot dog and a t-shirt … he says the foil-wrapped dogs are essentially four-and-a-half ounce projectiles.

According to court documents, the suit alleges that "Sluggerrr lost control of his throw or was reckless with his throw, and threw the hotdog directly into the Plaintiff."

Kansas City Royals Baseball Corporation attorney Scott D. Hofer said the trial court correctly responded to Coomer's claims. He said Coomer acknowledged that he saw the motion of the throw, people cheering in his section and looked away.

"In this day and age, the 21st century, there's no way you don't know that these types of activities were taking place," Hofer says.

The Supreme Court will hand down an opinion at a later date.

Halfcan 09-17-2013 01:47 PM

Cataracts already-lol It will be dismissed and hopefully the Royals will sue his ass so others won't do this type of thing again.

ptlyon 09-17-2013 01:48 PM

Hot dog winging ROFL

Caseyguyrr 09-17-2013 01:48 PM

how did I not hear about this when it happened?

BigCatDaddy 09-17-2013 01:53 PM

Only $25K for a detached retina? He'd be luck to get 1/2 that before expenses. It's not worth looking like a dead beat for.

jettio 09-17-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 9987765)
http://www.ozarksfirst.com/story/sup...602CqYD0x4V5QA

Supreme Court to Decide if KC Royals Mascot was Negligent in Hot Dog-Throwing Incident

A Royals fan who claims he suffered a detached retina when Sluggerrr the Mascot hit him in the face with a hot dog has taken his suit all the way to the Missouri Supreme Court.

Sports fan John Coomer is suing the Kansas City Royals for $25,000 on a claim of negligence. His attorney, Robert Tormohlen tells the Supreme Court Sluggerrr knew better, and had been trained on how to "throw the hot dogs lightly," and "was well aware that if he winged a hot dog at someone, he could seriously injure that person."

Judge Richard Teitelman asks if Coomer should have anticipated the risk, seeing that Coomer has been to more than 175 games. Judge Laura Denvir-Stith continued that line of questioning, pointing out that sports fans attend games not only for the game itself, but for the spectacle that comes with it.

The incident was reported in 2009; a jury ruled against Coomer in 2011, saying Coomer assumed the risk of a hot-dog-related injury when he bought his ticket to the game. Tormohlen says there's a difference between a hot dog and a t-shirt … he says the foil-wrapped dogs are essentially four-and-a-half ounce projectiles.

According to court documents, the suit alleges that "Sluggerrr lost control of his throw or was reckless with his throw, and threw the hotdog directly into the Plaintiff."

Kansas City Royals Baseball Corporation attorney Scott D. Hofer said the trial court correctly responded to Coomer's claims. He said Coomer acknowledged that he saw the motion of the throw, people cheering in his section and looked away.

"In this day and age, the 21st century, there's no way you don't know that these types of activities were taking place," Hofer says.

The Supreme Court will hand down an opinion at a later date.

IIRC, The Court of Appeals ruled for a new trial based on an error in jury instructions. I am surprised that the Supreme Court would hear the case, but there must be something about the Court of Appeals opinion that was debatable.

jettio 09-17-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9987785)
Only $25K for a detached retina? He'd be luck to get 1/2 that before expenses. It's not worth looking like a dead beat for.

Missouri has Circuit Courts and Associate Circuit Courts. $25K is kind of a jurisdictional maximum for Associate Circuit cases.

In a personal injury case, the petition could state damages as at least $25K without asking for a specific amount, just to have it start as a circuit court case.

HemiEd 09-17-2013 03:11 PM

But did he eat the Hot Dog?