ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   NFL Draft Would you support drafting McClain? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=226739)

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-19-2010 11:50 AM

Would you support drafting McClain?

If the Chiefs pass on Berry and Clausen, do you find that selection defensible if the Chiefs draft McClain at #5, or trade down to #7 to make that pick, perhaps acquiring a third in the process?

Reaper16 04-19-2010 11:51 AM

No. I don't hate McClain, I like some aspects of his game actually, but I don't want to spend a top 10 pick on him.

ChiefsCountry 04-19-2010 11:51 AM

I like McClain alot but man its tough passing on Berry or Clausen.

The Franchise 04-19-2010 11:51 AM

I would rather them ****ing take Dan Williams instead of McClain.

cabletech94 04-19-2010 11:51 AM

If it make the team better, yea.

The Bad Guy 04-19-2010 11:52 AM

Nope.

If you aren't going to take Aaron Curry at 3 in a shallow draft, you can't take McClain at 5 in a tremendously deep one.

talastan 04-19-2010 11:52 AM

Trade down would be preferable, I'd be dissapointed if we got him at #5, but not angry. Anything but a d@mn linemen IMO.

Rain Man 04-19-2010 11:53 AM

I've got nothing against McClain and think he'll likely be a fine player, but not at the #5 or #7.

The Bad Guy 04-19-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 6686076)

There is no scenario where I want Dan Williams on this team.

Monte Kiffin said he needed to be motivated highly to get him to the level he got to last year. What's left to motivate him when he gets 25 million guaranteed.

He's one guy I stay far far away from in this draft.

ChiefsCountry 04-19-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6686080)
Nope.

If you aren't going to take Aaron Curry at 3 in a shallow draft, you can't take McClain at 5 in a tremendously deep one.

McClain is a much better player than Aaron Curry. Curry was just a physical freak. But we could have had a MLB if they didn't make that silly trade last year.

Reaper16 04-19-2010 11:54 AM

Quote:

Hell, I'd rather them take Terrance Cody (which isn't to say that I want them to).

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

This. And I don't want shit to do with Williams. Now, if we traded down to the teens and picked up a 2nd or more, then I would be okay with it if he was BPA.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6686080)
Nope.

That's about the best way one could put it.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-19-2010 11:56 AM

I'm just trying to get a gauge on the pulse of the board. If this happens (somewhat unlikely, but who the **** really knows?) it will be interesting to see how many do an about face.

Huffman83 04-19-2010 11:57 AM

I'd hope for further down in the draft and more/ higher picks. But overall..yeah.

The Franchise 04-19-2010 11:57 AM

I'll put it this way.

I'd rather them take Joe Haden at #5 instead of McClain.

dirk digler 04-19-2010 11:57 AM

no

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 6686099)
I'm just trying to get a gauge on the pulse of the board. If this happens (somewhat unlikely, but who the **** really knows?) it will be interesting to see how many do an about face.

Short of them drafting an OT, I'm going to try and be positive Thursday night. The only way I'm jumping off the deep end before this draft ends is if they go tackle.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 6686102)
I'll put it this way.

Outside of Berry and Clausen, Haden is my 3rd choice for the pick.

SAUTO 04-19-2010 11:58 AM

Sorry i hit the wrong button. LOL. no way would i take him top ten

Rain Man 04-19-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 6686102)
I'll put it this way.

I thought about saying the same thing.

The Bad Guy 04-19-2010 11:58 AM

From what I've heard, it's Okung vs. Berry.

Now, I know Pioli said about Albert being his LT, but my source tells me there are a lot people in that warroom that love Russell Okung.

ChiefsCountry 04-19-2010 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6686110)

Now, I know Pioli said about Albert being his LT, but my source tells me there are a lot people in that warroom that love Russell Okung.

Hopefully those people are shot. Okung screams bust to me.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6686110)

:facepalm: Please God let Detroit or Washington draft that sack of shit. I don't care how good he is. We have a fine LT.

BossChief 04-19-2010 12:00 PM

I really like the guy and feel he could be a great piece to lead this defense going forward, but we need to trade back further than that if we have him pegged as our guy.

I would be perfectly ok with going back to 10 or so and taking him and adding the compensation for moving back that far. (a second rounder and a late one)

If they stay at 5, or even drop back to 7, the pick needs to be Berry if it is used on defense.

Sure-Oz 04-19-2010 12:00 PM

I would support it if we traded down and got more picks, but id hate to pass on berry. Plus i think 7 is still too high, maybe 10-13

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-19-2010 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6686104)
Short of them drafting an OT, I'm going to try and be positive Thursday night. The only way I'm jumping off the deep end before this draft ends is if they go tackle.

The following moves would piss me off:

McClain
Tackle
Bryant

The following move would make me a sad panda, but resigned to sadness and not anger:

Williams

I would be ecstatic with the following picks:

Berry
Clausen

I would be asi-asi on these picks:

Haden
Weatherspoon

Sure-Oz 04-19-2010 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 6686118)

McClain
Tackle
Bryant

The following move would make me a sad panda, but resigned to sadness and not anger:

Williams

Berry
Clausen

Haden
Weatherspoon

We really don't want a sad panda

DJ's left nut 04-19-2010 12:03 PM

I'd be pissed that they didn't trade down into the teens and take 'Spoon instead or hope that McClain fell.

But ultimately significantly less pissed than if they took Williams or Bulaga.

I'd give it a C-; we could've done a hell of a lot worse (Tyson Jackson), but we damn sure could have done better.

Rain Man 04-19-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

McClain
Tackle
Bryant

Williams

Berry
Clausen

Haden
Weatherspoon

We're pretty much in agreement, though I don't know what asi-asi means. I wouldn't be angry about any of those guys at the top, but would be more disappointed, particularly with Bryant. I think Bryant is hands-off.

I should add that I would actually be kind of happy if we drafted Spiller. I know we don't need him, but it seems like he's a safe pick who would add a lot of versatility and would be fun to watch. I think I'd put Spiller above Berry and below Clausen.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

McClain
Tackle
Bryant

Williams

Berry
Clausen

Haden
Weatherspoon

I just assume they're not touching Dez Bryant. If they do, Pioli should be fired immediately. Right 53 my ass if they take Bryant.

Sofa King 04-19-2010 12:03 PM

****ing didn't read the 2nd option close enough...

basically, i'm ok with him, but it better be mid first with a nice set of picks from someone who wanted to trade up badly...

The Franchise 04-19-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

McClain
Tackle
Bryant

Williams

Berry
Clausen

Haden
Weatherspoon

Ecstatic:

Clausen
Berry

Mad...but I can deal with it:

Haden

Meh:

Williams
Graham

Full on pissed:

McClain
Any offensive lineman

dirk digler 04-19-2010 12:04 PM

I am pretty much dead set on Berry or Clausen and will be disappointed if they are both there and we pass on both of them.

I would add to this poll if the Chiefs did trade down to say 15th or so and he was there I would be meh about it but not mad as long as we got an extra 2nd round pick out of it.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 12:04 PM

I'd rather draft Bryan ****ing Bulaga than Dez Bryant. I can't stress enough how much of a piece of shit I think that guy is.

There's not much this team could do to make me abandon them. Draft Dez Bryant and Colt McCoy and I'm ****ing there.

Sure-Oz 04-19-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 6686131)
I'd rather draft Bryan ****ing Bulaga than Dez Bryant. I can't stress enough how much of a piece of shit I think that guy is.

There's not much this team could do to make me abandon them. Draft Dez Bryant and Colt McCoy and I'm ****ing there.

Why is Dez such a pos? I know he got suspended for hangin with Prime Time

philfree 04-19-2010 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 6686071)
If the Chiefs pass on Berry and Clausen, do you find that selection defensible if the Chiefs draft McClain at #5, or trade down to #7 to make that pick, perhaps acquiring a third in the process?

I'd rather have Brandon Graham and a 3rd.

PhilFree:arrow:

Rain Man 04-19-2010 12:05 PM

Where would y'all put Spiller on your list?

The Bad Guy 04-19-2010 12:07 PM

Spiller would cause me to be annoyed as well.

Rain Man 04-19-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 6686138)
Spiller would cause me to be annoyed as well.

Why? Because we don't have a need at HB or because you don't like Spiller?

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6686134)
Why is Dez such a pos? I know he got suspended for hangin with Prime Time

He's lazy, and everything I've read and heard about him indicates he'll not only be a T.O like diva, but he probably won't have 1/2 the work ethic as T.O. When this guy gets paid, he's going to self destruct. I'm confident of it.

Mr. Flopnuts 04-19-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 6686136)
Where would y'all put Spiller on your list?

I'd put him with the players that are a luxury we cannot afford right now.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-19-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6686124)
I'd be pissed that they didn't trade down into the teens and take 'Spoon instead or hope that McClain fell.

But ultimately significantly less pissed than if they took Williams or Bulaga.

I'd give it a C-; we could've done a hell of a lot worse (Tyson Jackson), but we damn sure could have done better.

Yeah, Weatherspoon is the best LB in this class, IMO, and I'd rather have him than McClain in any defense. That said, I just don't know if I trust Pioli enough to make the non-reeruned decision here.

Rain Man 04-19-2010 12:11 PM

If the goal of a top-five pick is to get an elite playmaker, though, I think Spiller fits that definition. We get a breather back for Charles and we solve our kick return problems and maybe (I have no idea what I'm talking about) he comes in as a slot or fourth receiver.

I tell you, I'm warming to the concept. Get us a playmaker if you don't think we can get a franchise quarterback.

And catching out of the backfield is another way to minimize pressure on the o-line, so Spiller kind of addresses the line issue as well.

Reaper16 04-19-2010 12:13 PM

At #5 (or #7 for that matter):
Ecstatic:
Clausen
Berry

Not my preference but I can at least justify the selection:
Spiller
Haden

Really angry at reaching for a player who can still be effective but, c'mon, the value is terrible:
Cody (Williams would be here too but I don't think he'll be effective in a Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4)
Witherspoon
McClain
Thomas
Graham

Filled with rage to the point of murder:
Any OT.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-19-2010 12:17 PM

I would like Spiller, but I just don't know if he's the kind of guy you are going to get 8-10 really productive years out of. I see Eric Berry, and I think you've got a guy who will probably play for 10 years and go to 5-6 Pro Bowls.

If I'm a team that doesn't have a lot of holes and he drops out of the top 10, I'm packaging picks to get him, though.

Can you imagine him in Philly with Maclin, Jackson, McCoy, and Celek?

Titty Meat 04-19-2010 12:19 PM

No. McClain would be an upgrade over the current shit they have at ILB but in a deep draft he's not a game changer.

Lono 04-19-2010 12:20 PM

I will be not be happy if we draft McClain at all. I think he was covered up and made to look better than he was. He is slow and will have trouble in the NFL.

BossChief 04-19-2010 12:20 PM

Rolando is to our defense what Clausen is to our offense. A player that has lead the unit for three years and has grown by leaps and bounds in that time and would come in with vast experience in our scheme.

I feel Rolando would help every member of this defense right off the bat and be the leader on the field immediately. DJ would benefit from playing right next to him the most of any defender, someone he can communicate with on the field to help him.

For the people that go to the ChiefsCoalition, here is a link to a very well done breakdown of Rolando vs Spoon.

http://www.chiefscoalition.com/Forum...howtopic=20144

Rain Man 04-19-2010 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 6686181)
I would like Spiller, but I just don't know if he's the kind of guy you are going to get 8-10 really productive years out of. I see Eric Berry, and I think you've got a guy who will probably play for 10 years and go to 5-6 Pro Bowls.

If I'm a team that doesn't have a lot of holes and he drops out of the top 10, I'm packaging picks to get him, though.

Can you imagine him in Philly with Maclin, Jackson, McCoy, and Celek?

Yeah, that's a good argument about a really high running back. But if you get five years of running back and five years of kick returner, maybe it's like dog years or something and you can add them separately.

The thing I'm liking more and more is that he solves multiple problems with one pick: breather back, returner, and receiver in some packages.

Mr. Laz 04-19-2010 12:27 PM

if we are going to reach on position value at #5 then we should just reach on a safety in Eric Berry.

If we trade down we better rape somebody

a 2nd to go down to cleveland at 7
two 1st to down from cleveland to the 49ers

etc

Frosty 04-19-2010 01:11 PM

I voted "Yes with an extra 3rd", though it would be really lukewarm support. I would rather have Weatherspoon and I think a 2nd would be in order rather than a third. Didn't Cleveland have to give up a 2nd to Washington when they moved up one spot to take Winslow?

kysirsoze 04-19-2010 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 6686074)
No. I don't hate McClain, I like some aspects of his game actually, but I don't want to spend a top 10 pick on him.

This exactly.

DumbHillbillies 04-19-2010 01:21 PM

Not at #5 and not at the pick that we only get a 3rder for

melbar 04-19-2010 01:23 PM

I say yes if we trade down, but 7 is the edge of my comfort. I think he would add a bit of passion to this D that has none besides being a fine player.

Titty Meat 04-19-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 6686191)
Rolando is to our defense what Clausen is to our offense. A player that has lead the unit for three years and has grown by leaps and bounds in that time and would come in with vast experience in our scheme.

I feel Rolando would help every member of this defense right off the bat and be the leader on the field immediately. DJ would benefit from playing right next to him the most of any defender, someone he can communicate with on the field to help him.

For the people that go to the ChiefsCoalition, here is a link to a very well done breakdown of Rolando vs Spoon.

http://www.chiefscoalition.com/Forum...howtopic=20144

I disagree. Clausen has the ball every play McClain doesn't. I'd say this team needs some speed and athletes before they need leadership.

KCDC 04-19-2010 01:31 PM

I would "support" the pick with a third thrown in. That does not mean it would be my preference.

For example, if we traded down to #7 for a third, we'd know Cleveland was going to take either Berry or Clausen. We are gambling Seattle takes a LT, so that our other choice is there. Say Seattle surprises us and takes our other choice. Now we are screwed, we try to trade down further, we can't, so we take McClain. I think that is okay. We took a chance and lost, but still ended up with a pro bowl caliber ILB and an extra early third round pick that could be used to trade up into the low first round, or get us a decent WR, or safety.

BossChief 04-19-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6686322)
I disagree. Clausen has the ball every play McClain doesn't. I'd say this team needs some speed and athletes before they need leadership.

I wasnt comparing the players. I was comparing the situation each would bring to each side of the ball.

Clausen has basically ran our exact offense for the last 3 years, Rolando has ran a very similar defense to ours the last three years.

Mecca 04-19-2010 01:36 PM

McClain is frankly the biggest fear out there because he fits all of that right 53 and safe pick bullshit that Pioli spouts.

okcchief 04-19-2010 02:21 PM

Dez Bryant is taking more abuse then he deserves IMO. There is no way I would take him at 5 but if he slipped to the second round I would be all over him.

BossChief 04-19-2010 02:27 PM

LOL Id like to see Haleys reaction the first time Dez shows up to a game 45 minutes before kickoff after just waking up.

there is no way that guy is on our board

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-19-2010 03:46 PM

No.

notorious 04-19-2010 04:01 PM

What does the "Yes, but only with an extra 3rd" option mean?

1. I would support taking McClain in the 3rd round?

2. We get an extra 3rd from trading down and use that 3rd on McClain.

This has a lot to do with my opinion.

I think we would be idiotic to pass on McClain if he is available in the 3rd.

Mecca 04-19-2010 04:03 PM

You know what..McClain is full of crap...

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsR4MfG6LD4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VsR4MfG6LD4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

"My Crohn's was actin up"

But now he supposedly doesn't have it, really then what do you have?

chiefzilla1501 04-19-2010 04:30 PM

Absolutely not.

If you're trading down and not getting Berry or Clausen, you had better be getting either a pass rusher, better be completely convinced that a guy like Earl Thomas can get you the same kind of Berry production or at least comparable, and most importantly, you better be compensated well.

Nothing short of a 2nd round pick would do if you're downgrading from Berry to McClain. For me, I don't want to move unless a 2nd round pick PLUS another competitive pick was on the table.

noa 04-19-2010 04:33 PM

Certainly not at five, and I have a hard time envisioning a realistic trade down scenario that I would be happy with.

chiefzilla1501 04-19-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noa (Post 6686765)
Certainly not at five, and I have a hard time envisioning a realistic trade down scenario that I would be happy with.

I think the 3-4 OLB position is easily the second-most important position on defense. If the Chiefs really, really, really like Kindle, Graham, or Hughes and see his value toward the middle of the first, that's a trade down I can deal with. But if you're moving down to take a safe, low risk, medium return pick at a lower-impact position, it's completely stupid.

Hammock Parties 04-19-2010 04:40 PM

I'd rather trade down into the teens and take Weatherspoon.

bh13 04-19-2010 05:46 PM

At #5? No.

The only players I'd like at #5 are Berry, Clausen and Suh if he's somehow there. If they want anyone else, trade down. I wouldn't be thrilled with it, but it would still be better than staying at #5 and taking someone like McClain, Williams or Bulaga.

BigMeatballDave 04-19-2010 05:47 PM

Not at 5 or 7.

Ming the Merciless 04-19-2010 05:49 PM

maybe if we get the niners 13th it would be cool. If he would be there at 13.

SenselessChiefsFan 04-19-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 6686071)

I would like them to trade down and draft him, but just him at five is 'acceptable'..... the kid, to me, is every bit the stud that Berry is. I don't think they do that, but I would be 'okay' with it. I prefer Berry, because I think it is a bigger 'need'.