ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics Android Incredible! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=228740)

El Jefe 05-27-2010 07:28 AM

Android Incredible!

I didn't want to put this in the media center, because I wanted as many people to see this as possible. Was curious if anyone has a Droid Incredible? I just got mine, ordered it on the 12th and it finally came in. I am very pleased with it, it is quite a machine. Wanted to know if anyone had any really good apps they would recommend. I had pandora, zedge, google maps, google earth and a couple others. What do you guys/girls have on yours?

Bane 05-27-2010 07:32 AM

No but what I have seen on the Droids make me think that they are some awesome devices.

R8RFAN 05-27-2010 07:35 AM

I have a Droid....

Weatherbug Elite seems to me to be the best weather app I have found

R8RFAN 05-27-2010 07:36 AM

handcent sms is good

El Jefe 05-27-2010 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bane_58 (Post 6783508)
No but what I have seen on the Droids make me think that they are some awesome devices.

Honestly I am not huge into new technology, I just kind of get things after people I know have them so they can teach me how to use them. This thing is pretty freaking sweet, very useful.

Otter 05-27-2010 07:49 AM

You people have way more confidence in yourself than I have in myself not to leave your cellphone sitting on the bar, in the back of taxi, or on a plane. If there was a $20 cell phone available with nothing but voice and text messages that I could call and destroy all the data remotely I'd be all over it.

There should be an app for that.

When I have to carry our departments on blackberry for on call which is a password away from some pretty sensitive data and the ability to bring down an infrastructure it never leaves my house because of my history of losing cell phones.

Good luck though, they sound fun.

wildcat09 05-27-2010 07:55 AM

my brother has a Droid. He has an awesome fart machine app. Comes in handy more often than I thought. Then again, we have the mentality of 12 year olds.

morphius 05-27-2010 07:55 AM

Just looking at the list of free stuff I have installed on my Hero (in no particular order):
ColorNote Notepad
Shapewriter Keyboard
Where
flashlight
movies
Rings Extended
Google Translate
Google Goggles
Shazam
Advanced Task Killer
Barcode Scanner
Google Sky Map
Compass
Gmote

Bane 05-27-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoJC (Post 6783519)
Honestly I am not huge into new technology, I just kind of get things after people I know have them so they can teach me how to use them. This thing is pretty freaking sweet, very useful.

I have a BB bold and I love it.I'm not a fan of the touch screen phones at all.I understand the cool apps and all the flashy features that attract people but I have to have the buttons on my phone.My wife has a I Phone as well as damn near everyone I know and they love them,but even being a "mac guy" I still cant stand the I Phone.I guess I'm just not cool enough to understand the hype behind it.:spock:

2bikemike 05-27-2010 07:59 AM

I am looking into getting the Incredible. Right now I don't even text. But I am feeling it is time to get caught up with technology. However I am not eligible for an upgrade until the end of July. So I will wait. Who knows I may get over it by then and I will stay with my cheap ass phone.

El Jefe 05-27-2010 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 6783541)
Just looking at the list of free stuff I have installed on my Hero (in no particular order):
ColorNote NotepadShapewriter Keyboard
Where
flashlightmovies
Rings Extended
Google Translate
Google Goggles
Shazam
Advanced Task Killer
Barcode Scanner
Google Sky Map
Compass
Gmote

Could you explain to me how to get these? I am assuming through the market?

BFergs 05-27-2010 08:02 AM

DIRECT TV. APP IS AWESOME
DIGG
ASTRO. A MUST HAVE FOR MANAGING ALL FILES
CELESTE LITE

El Jefe 05-27-2010 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFergs (Post 6783556)
DIRECT TV. APP IS AWESOME
DIGG
ASTRO. A MUST HAVE FOR MANAGING ALL FILES
CELESTE LITE

Ok clue me in on these, I haven't heard of any of them.

Fish 05-27-2010 08:21 AM

THIS THREAD IS SO IMPORTANT I HAD TO PUT IT IN THE LOUNGE SO PEOPLE WOULD SEE IT!!!!!!11!11!

I got a new phone, let's talk about it......

BFergs 05-27-2010 08:25 AM

DIRECT TV GIVES YOU THE ABILITY TO SET DVR RECORDINGS
DIGG IS A NEWS APP
ASTRO YOU CAN MANAGE FILES
CELESTE IS LIKE GOOGLE SKY, BUT WITH PLANETS AND ORIENTAION OF PLANETS IN THE SKY

siberian khatru 05-27-2010 08:26 AM

This was an interesting column on iPhone vs. Droid (Apple vs. Google) in yesterday's Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...585303350.html

I have a Verizon BlackBerry Storm that I like a lot (although I appear to be in the minority). But the stuff I've read about the Droid makes me want to trade up when my contract ends.

Sfeihc 05-27-2010 08:27 AM

If you have directv, they also have a superfan app. I watched JC run wild over the Donks on my droid. The battery life can go for a whole game. Awesome just plain awesome!!!!

Advanced Task Killer
Newspapers
Google Sky
Tigers News
Cardinals News
Directv
Directv Superfan
NFL Mobile
TMZ
YouTube
Yellowbook
Pandora
NPR News
Movies
Flashlight
Bubble

BigMeatballDave 05-27-2010 08:32 AM

Cannot go wrong with any Android device.

BigMeatballDave 05-27-2010 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wildcat09 (Post 6783540)
my brother has a Droid. He has an awesome fart machine app. Comes in handy more often than I thought. Then again, we have the mentality of 12 year olds.

Noble Fart? lol

El Jefe 05-27-2010 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 6783568)
THIS THREAD IS SO IMPORTANT I HAD TO PUT IT IN THE LOUNGE SO PEOPLE WOULD SEE IT!!!!!!11!11!

I got a new phone, let's talk about it......

Ok

morphius 05-27-2010 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoJC (Post 6783554)
Could you explain to me how to get these? I am assuming through the market?

Yup, all in the market.

BigMeatballDave 05-27-2010 08:41 AM

The Flixster app is cool.

DaFace 05-27-2010 08:51 AM

Android depresses me because I can't get one unless I dump my SERO plan, and I'm not willing to pay an extra grand a year (for our two phones) for a toy. :sulk:

Sure-Oz 05-27-2010 08:52 AM

I am probably going to be getting one shortly, it will be my first smart phone

DaFace 05-27-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 6783571)
This was an interesting column on iPhone vs. Droid (Apple vs. Google) in yesterday's Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...585303350.html

I have a Verizon BlackBerry Storm that I like a lot (although I appear to be in the minority). But the stuff I've read about the Droid makes me want to trade up when my contract ends.

Interesting article. I think the comparisons are at the front of everyone's mind already, but it's interesting to see the facts laid out.

Time's Yours 05-27-2010 09:13 AM

I'm definitely getting the Evo when it comes out in about a week. I can't wait to have 4g.

ToxSocks 05-27-2010 10:05 AM

I dont think im important enough to own a Smart Phone. It would be just be a really expensive toy.

Wish I could though, but there are some toys my budget just doesn't allow. I'll save my money for the extra $50 bucks a month it costs for NFL Sunday Ticket......

HemiEd 05-27-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 6783549)
I am looking into getting the Incredible. Right now I don't even text. But I am feeling it is time to get caught up with technology. However I am not eligible for an upgrade until the end of July. So I will wait. Who knows I may get over it by then and I will stay with my cheap ass phone.

I think it is late, but Happy Birthday Mike! :toast:

teedubya 05-27-2010 10:38 AM

I've had my Droid for about 6 months now. Best decision I ever made. This phone is amazing.

Jordan 05-27-2010 03:04 PM

Ive had the Incredible for a month now...it is sweet!

Best game app (& I am not a big phone gamer) = 3D Homerun Derby

Also, if into puzzle games, Wordup is incredibly addictive.

On the whole, though, as a media center/phone/etc is is top notch. I like it better than the Iphone, but I am a bit biased as I have never owned the Iphone.

Only issue = battery life. The battery sucks, so get a 2nd charger for car/work. You WILL drain the battery in a 24 hour period.

2bikemike 05-27-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 6783835)
I think it is late, but Happy Birthday Mike! :toast:

Thanks! Maybe I should have told Verizon it was my birthday and maybe they would have let me upgrade.

Dave Lane 05-27-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcchiefsfanGoJC (Post 6783503)
I didn't want to put this in the media center, because I wanted as many people to see this as possible. Was curious if anyone has a Droid Incredible? I just got mine, ordered it on the 12th and it finally came in. I am very pleased with it, it is quite a machine. Wanted to know if anyone had any really good apps they would recommend. I had pandora, zedge, google maps, google earth and a couple others. What do you guys/girls have on yours?

I highly recommend Tradin4iphone 4.0 Best Android app ever! :thumb:

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-27-2010 06:15 PM

I got to play with a Droid for a bit yesterday; ****ing blew me away.

ROR want.

KChiefs1 05-27-2010 06:26 PM

Droid or iPhone?

Which one should I buy & why?

tk13 05-27-2010 06:32 PM

Definitely get the NFL Mobile app. You can watch NFL Network live.

Depends on what you're looking for, but there are apps like "Where" and "Yelp" that can tell you where restaurants, stores, etc. are.

Ringdroid is a great app for making your own ringtones. You can take any song on your phone and it opens up an audio file that allows you to make a ringtone out of any part of the song.

Shazam is a good one to impress people who don't know anything about smartphones, I use it more than I thought I would. It pretty much never fails... you hear a song you don't know on the radio and it'll tell you what it is.

A stupid but entertaining one is "Steamy Window"... you can blow on the screen and fog it up, then wipe your finger across it like it's a window. It's completely pointless but it will impress people who are new to smartphones.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-27-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 6785050)
Droid or iPhone?

Which one should I buy & why?

Oh, if you buy the Droid, DON'T leave the text alert set to "DROOOOID".

It gets REALLY ****ing annoying after a minute or three to everyone who isn't you.

-King- 05-27-2010 08:28 PM

I have a G1 and had the Droid for about a month before I sold it and I love the Android system. I am honestly not looking forward to switching to the iPhone despite all the hype it gets. I wish MU didn't have a contract with apple... I don't mind buying a MacBook, but a iPhone, I wish we didn't have to.

SLAG 05-27-2010 09:03 PM

on my hero i have:
Facebook
Gowalla
Last.fm
wifilock
wifi onof
amdroid
Estrongs File Explorer (the best)
pinball
googlevoice
FlickrFree
DroidSCP
Connectbot
USB WebCam
GoogleMaps
Remote RDP lite
Weather Channel
Urban spoon
Nagroid
gStrings
Drobox
Meebo
RideTrac
qik

aturnis 05-27-2010 09:24 PM

I'm planning on getting the EVO. If I shell out the extra dough for Sunday Ticket, it'll be nice to watch Chiefs games wherever on my phone. Also I assume I'll be able to use the HDMI output to play it on a t.v. of any size. So if I have to go to a family function I won't have to miss the game and can view it in all of it's glory.

KChiefs1 05-27-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 6785354)
I'm planning on getting the EVO. If I shell out the extra dough for Sunday Ticket, it'll be nice to watch Chiefs games wherever on my phone. Also I assume I'll be able to use the HDMI output to play it on a t.v. of any size. So if I have to go to a family function I won't have to miss the game and can view it in all of it's glory.

I'm still trying to figure out which one is better...Droid, iPhone & now the EVO? What separates them from one another?

KevB 05-27-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 6785358)
I'm still trying to figure out which one is better...Droid, iPhone & now the EVO? What separates them from one another?

EVO has 4G, bigger screen and faster processor. Additionally, if you want to pay the extra $30/month, it will serve as a wireless hot spot for up to 8 other devices.

Sure-Oz 07-29-2010 08:58 PM

I just got my incredible yesterday, ****ing awesome phone. It is my first 'smart' phone and first non flip old school style phone. Been using it alot, and man that battery will drain with the apps and shit i am using and i constantly keep screwing with it. i saw some app suggestions, any new ones since this thread that are worth it? So far i just have a twitter and facebook app dl'ed along with the general stuff that was preinstalled. BTW-does chiefsplanet have a mobile site or do you just view it using chiefplanet.com

aturnis 07-29-2010 09:10 PM

I just view it as chiefsplanet.com personally. Also, if you are looking for app suggestions, check the Evo thread in mediacenter, there might be a android thread too, I don't know.

DaFace 07-29-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6906281)
I just got my incredible yesterday, ****ing awesome phone. It is my first 'smart' phone and first non flip old school style phone. Been using it alot, and man that battery will drain with the apps and shit i am using and i constantly keep screwing with it. i saw some app suggestions, any new ones since this thread that are worth it? So far i just have a twitter and facebook app dl'ed along with the general stuff that was preinstalled. BTW-does chiefsplanet have a mobile site or do you just view it using chiefplanet.com

http://m.chiefsplanet.com

Sure-Oz 07-29-2010 09:25 PM

Thanks for the link and suggestion to the other thread

BigMeatballDave 07-29-2010 09:31 PM

I'm looking into the Droidx. I already have the Droid. I'm not due for an upgrade, but my sons line is. He just has a plain texting phone. I'm thinking I may use his upgrade to get the Droidx, then sell my Droid... :)

Sure-Oz 07-29-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6906389)
I'm looking into the Droidx. I already have the Droid. I'm not due for an upgrade, but my sons line is. He just has a plain texting phone. I'm thinking I may use his upgrade to get the Droidx, then sell my Droid... :)

I couldve gotten an X and decided id stick with the incredible since that is what i wanted before and its perfect size to fit in my pocket and friends vouched for it. the X is ****ing huge though

googlegoogle 07-29-2010 09:50 PM

only if it was compatible with present microsoft os games and other software.

Mr. Flopnuts 07-29-2010 09:58 PM

I am so in love with my Evo.

BigMeatballDave 07-29-2010 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6906415)
I couldve gotten an X and decided id stick with the incredible since that is what i wanted before and its perfect size to fit in my pocket and friends vouched for it. the X is ****ing huge though

It is pretty big. I was messing with one at a Verizon store. I'm not sure what my upgrade price will be. If I can get the Incredible for less, I may go that route. Of course, If I can sell my Droid for $100 or more, the upgrade will essentially be free.

Sure-Oz 07-29-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6906582)
It is pretty big. I was messing with one at a Verizon store. I'm not sure what my upgrade price will be. If I can get the Incredible for less, I may go that route. Of course, If I can sell my Droid for $100 or more, the upgrade will essentially be free.

I got mine for $199 with a 2 year contract (i was going to reup anyway)

I think the droid x would be similiar cost, not sure though

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-04-2010 12:51 PM

DRRRROID...

|Zach| 08-04-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlegoogle (Post 6906460)
only if it was compatible with present microsoft os games and other software.

Nobody wants microsoft horse shit on their phone. People want things that work...and work quickly.

DJ's left nut 08-04-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 6916362)
Nobody wants microsoft horse shit on their phone. People want things that work...and work quickly.

Except that the EVO and the X are getting far better reviews than the Ipod.

The Evo is incredible.

|Zach| 08-04-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 6916398)
Except that the EVO and the X are getting far better reviews than the Ipod.

The Evo is incredible.

What does that have to do with microsoft crap on their phones. Android isn't microsoft.

Besides that...comparing those phones to the ipod is totally apples and oranges.

DaFace 08-04-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 6916420)
What does that have to do with microsoft crap on their phones. Android isn't microsoft.

Esto.

DJ's left nut 08-04-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 6916420)

I'm illiterate...:crybaby::crybaby:....carry on

lostcause 08-04-2010 02:35 PM

Got a Droid X a few weeks ago and the thing is ridiculously cool

Adept Havelock 08-04-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6783575)
Cannot go wrong with any Android device.

I'd disagree. Check out the good idea gone horribly wrong that is the "Garminphone".

I'm thrilled with my Android phone, just waiting on Froyo at this point. Great technology.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-05-2010 09:36 AM

I like it when some idiot kid sets his every text to notify, and quite loudly, by going "DROOOID"!

"DROOOID"!
"DROI"!
"DROI"!
"DR"!
"DROOID"!

fantastic...:facepalm:

BigMeatballDave 08-05-2010 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adept Havelock (Post 6916794)
I'd disagree. Check out the good idea gone horribly wrong that is the "Garminphone".

I'm thrilled with my Android phone, just waiting on Froyo at this point. Great technology.

I heard about the Garmin phone. Looks like a cool device. Not nearly as good as a Google device, I'm sure. Whats the problem with it?

SLAG 08-05-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 6918220)
I heard about the Garmin phone. Looks like a cool device. Not nearly as good as a Google device, I'm sure. Whats the problem with it?

there is not a problem with it - and its good for introductory users

some might say issues with it are : only running 1.6 and on older hardware

I wish there was a rooting guide for it but not enough people own it that they root it

Adept Havelock 08-05-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 6918520)
there is not a problem with it - and its good for introductory users

some might say issues with it are : only running 1.6 and on older hardware

I wish there was a rooting guide for it but not enough people own it that they root it

I'd say being stuck with Android 1.6 (I remember reading something stating it couldn't/wouldn't be upgraded to 2.1 or Froyo) is a pretty major issue. The older hardware might not be an issue with Froyo thanks to the JIT complier if they could pull off that upgrade.

I played around with one for a bit. IMO, very slow response and clunky to use.

However, each to their own.

Sure-Oz 08-05-2010 05:57 PM

Anyone have any ideas on how preserve battery life? or a bigger battery for the incredible? Battery is OK i'd say

Usually go 730-530 with half or 3/4 battery gone with regular use. Disabled most syncing...

BWillie 08-05-2010 06:28 PM

Other than the camera and video capabilities, the Droid X and Evo are both better the the I-Phone and the top phones in the US right now. Can't go wrong w/ any of them.

Sure-Oz 08-05-2010 06:33 PM

The Droid phones are selling like hot cakes, love my incredible...

R8RFAN 08-06-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6919271)
Anyone have any ideas on how preserve battery life? or a bigger battery for the incredible? Battery is OK i'd say

Usually go 730-530 with half or 3/4 battery gone with regular use. Disabled most syncing...

Turn off Wifi and
Turn off Bluetooth when not using them

Hays 08-06-2010 09:11 AM

I have the evo but don't see NFL Mobile as something i can get in the market.
I would like nfl network

memyselfI 08-06-2010 11:21 AM

I picked up the Samsung Vibrant. It is fabulous. I love Android. I have been using for almost two years.

vailpass 08-06-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROR (Post 6918135)
I like it when some idiot kid sets his every text to notify, and quite loudly, by going "DROOOID"!

"DROOOID"!
"DROI"!
"DROI"!
"DR"!
"DROOID"!

fantastic...:facepalm:

:D On my phone my wife's ringer is the Daleks from Dr. Who.
'Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate" Loud and obnoxious as hell, scared a waitress one day.

BTW I frigging LOVE Android.

vailpass 08-06-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6919271)

Advanced Task Killer

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-06-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6920342)
:D On my phone my wife's ringer is the Daleks from Dr. Who.
'Exterminate, exterminate, exterminate" Loud and obnoxious as hell, scared a waitress one day.

BTW I frigging LOVE Android.

LMAO Awesome. I might actually buy one of the ****ers since I'm going to have some money.

SLAG 08-06-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hays (Post 6920077)
I have the evo but don't see NFL Mobile as something i can get in the market.
I would like nfl network

Sprint's Contract with the NFL expired and they did not renew

Verizon Picked up the contract so they have it now

vailpass 08-06-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROR (Post 6920722)
LMAO Awesome. I might actually buy one of the ****ers since I'm going to have some money.

Did you get the dispatcher gig?

Sure-Oz 08-06-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 6919926)
Turn off Wifi and
Turn off Bluetooth when not using them

Turning off wifi helped alot today, i had alot more battery than ive had before. What is the point of the wifi? i mean i have unlimited data and it goes fast anyway. Also vail ill dl that advanced task killer app. thanks

Sure-Oz 08-07-2010 02:03 AM

Anyone know how you clean the touch screen of the incredible? water and cloth? I know it gets smudgy at times due to oily skin or fingers, for the most part i wipe with a tissue and its fine but it has some specs that i know i need to get wet to clear. Any ideas how i should do that? or whats safe to use? dont want to **** it up

DaFace 08-07-2010 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6921784)
Anyone know how you clean the touch screen of the incredible? water and cloth? I know it gets smudgy at times due to oily skin or fingers, for the most part i wipe with a tissue and its fine but it has some specs that i know i need to get wet to clear. Any ideas how i should do that? or whats safe to use? dont want to **** it up

I am assuming that the screen is similar to that of an LCD monitor. If that's the case, I've heard that a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water makes a good cleaner. The main thing is not to ever spray anything on the screen itself. Dampen the cloth, then use that on the screen.

Sweet Daddy Hate 08-07-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 6921032)
Did you get the dispatcher gig?

They haven't even started the second round of testing yet, nor have they released the test scores from the written exam yet.

A City gig is a long process. A Police gig even longer. I'm hopeful though, and I really want that job. I enjoyed the process of studying and I found that I can read and retain a lot of information pretty quickly. I'd also like to be able to help people and maybe save a life or two now and again.

But I'm also participating in other options in the realm of school/training in case it doesn't pan out. I've got a clean record, but I'm concerned that my four years clean is about two years too short. We'll see.

(sorry for momentary hi-jack)

BigMeatballDave 08-07-2010 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 6921271)
Turning off wifi helped alot today, i had alot more battery than ive had before. What is the point of the wifi? i mean i have unlimited data and it goes fast anyway. Also vail ill dl that advanced task killer app. thanks

Wifi is usually faster and more consistent than 3G. Especially if you're indoors.

Sure-Oz 08-07-2010 12:25 PM

Thanks Daface adn BCD, im so new to this 'smartphone' stuff...

Yeah i may try that alcohol, i also heard that cloth that you use to clean glasses may be a good alternative. ive been very picky and wiping it alot and for the most part its stayed really clean like new.