ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs 1st half conniption fit....I mean commentary (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=232317)

petegz28 08-21-2010 06:57 PM

1st half conniption fit....I mean commentary

Oh noes....we are tied 10-10....

Oh noes....our pre-season playcalling is for shit....

Oh noes....Charles didn't get enough carries.....

Oh noes...our front 7 sucks......

I thought we looked pretty good. Better than we did last week. Front 7 played good, we got burned on a missed tackle by a DB.....that isn't the front 7's fault

FAX 08-21-2010 07:02 PM

Charles still averaging about 5 yards a carry. Bowe with a 10 yard average. And Cassel with 125 yards after going 14 for 19 with a touch.

Could be worse, I guess.

FAX

Dave Lane 08-21-2010 07:27 PM

U forgot Matt Cassel sucks

petegz28 08-21-2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 6947215)
U forgot Matt Cassel sucks

Oh noes.......!!!!

notorious 08-21-2010 08:03 PM

Better.

Mr. Laz 08-21-2010 08:03 PM

i see another thread where pete responds to himself for about 5 pages coming on.

notorious 08-21-2010 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6947351)
i see another thread where pete responds to himself for about 5 pages coming on.

LMAO

This isn't DC. Hopefully he will display some self-control.

Coach 08-21-2010 08:07 PM

While there's still room for improvement for everybody involved, the showing was a little better, although it is Tampa, who most people wildly believe that they will be the worst team in the 2010-2011 season.

boogblaster 08-21-2010 08:59 PM

we looked ok

OnTheWarpath15 08-21-2010 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coach (Post 6947361)
While there's still room for improvement for everybody involved, the showing was a little better, although it is Tampa, who most people wildly believe that they will be the worst team in the 2010-2011 season.

I haven't seen it, and won't be able to until Monday, but yours is one of the few opinions here I trust, so...

Was there improvement this week, or was it just the same level of suck against a lessor opponent, making it look like improvement?

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947581)
I haven't seen it, and won't be able to until Monday, but yours is one of the few opinions here I trust, so...

Was there improvement this week, or was it just the same level of suck against a lessor opponent, making it look like improvement?

I know this was not asked of me but I can't help myself.

Maybe both. Our run defense looked great with our starters. We moved the ball on offense. First drive got cut short on a Jones fumble that resulted in 3pts. We came back and scored a TD off a nice drive. If Flowers makes a tackle Tampa probably never gets their TD but he went high when he should have went low and we had a blitz on. Result was a 53 yard TD. We came back to tie it at the half, obviously.

Pass protection was much better. Defense was getting good pressure even with a 4 man rush. Carr still needs some work. Arena is the real ****ing deal on KR's, I will say that now.

Saul Good 08-21-2010 09:08 PM

The biggest error that I saw was clock management at the end of the half. Why did we give away a down by spiking the ball when we had a timeout? That drives me insane. We wound up ending the half with plenty of time, but it was 4th and 1. Sure would have been nice to have used the timeout and had a 3rd and 1 instead.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947594)
The biggest error that I saw was clock management at the end of the half. Why did we give away a down by spiking the ball when we had a timeout? That drives me insane. We wound up ending the half with plenty of time, but it was 4th and 1. Sure would have been nice to have used the timeout and had a 3rd and 1 instead.

Agreed but when it comes to pre-seaons and the way coaches think I wouldn't be surprise if there was some logic that doesn't make since to us fans behind it all.

Tiger's Fan 08-21-2010 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947594)

There were 38 seconds left, and we still had a timeout too. Not a wise decision there.

ChiefaRoo 08-21-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 6947351)

heh

LaChapelle 08-21-2010 09:11 PM

Battle has that LJ moving in molasses thing going on
and like LJ use to makes yardage

Mr. Arrowhead 08-21-2010 09:12 PM

I thought Tamba was a beast tonight

DaneMcCloud 08-21-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947592)
I know this was not asked of me but I can't help myself.

Maybe both. Our run defense looked great with our starters. We moved the ball on offense. First drive got cut short on a Jones fumble that resulted in 3pts. We came back and scored a TD off a nice drive. If Flowers makes a tackle Tampa probably never gets their TD but he went high when he should have went low and we had a blitz on. Result was a 53 yard TD. We came back to tie it at the half, obviously.

Pass protection was much better. Defense was getting good pressure even with a 4 man rush. Carr still needs some work. Arena is the real ****ing deal on KR's, I will say that now.

I'll need to watch this game Monday on the NFL network instead of on a shitty computer, but I disagree completely with the idea that the Chiefs looked "great" on offense or defense.

Arenas set up the first touchdown and gave the Chiefs a VERY short field in which to score. After that, they couldn't do shit. The defense hardly pressured Tampa Bay's SECOND string QB and from what I could tell, Cadillac Williams barely played.

The Bucs passing game consistently carved up the Chiefs defense for big chunks in the first half. Mike Williams was catching everything in sight (including burning Flowers for a huge TD) but also on crossing and sideline patterns. Michael Clayton chipped in for a few nice passes and there was little to no pressure on Josh Johnson. In the few cases there was pressure Johnson either took off for a big gainer or step up into the pocket to make his throws.

Johnson is a second year, 5th rounder that made the Chiefs defense look as bad as normal. Keep in mind, this is a Tampa team that won three ****ing games last year and the Chiefs starters and backups failed to beat the Bucs starters and backups.

IMO, it was ****ing pathetic.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947613)
I'll need to watch this game Monday on the NFL network instead of on a shitty computer, but I disagree completely with the idea that the Chiefs looked "great" on offense or defense.

Arenas set up the first touchdown and gave the Chiefs a VERY short field in which to score. After that, they couldn't do shit. The defense hardly pressured Tampa Bay's SECOND string QB and from what I could tell, Cadillac Williams barely played.

The Bucs passing game consistently carved up the Chiefs defense for big chunks in the first half. Mike Williams was catching everything in sight (including burning Flowers for a huge TD) but also on crossing and sideline patterns. Michael Clayton chipped in for a few nice passes and there was little to no pressure on Josh Johnson. In the few cases there was pressure Johnson either took off for a big gainer or step up into the pocket to make his throws.

Johnson is a second year, 5th rounder that made the Chiefs defense look as bad as normal. Keep in mind, this is a Tampa team that won three ****ing games last year and the Chiefs starters and backups failed to beat the Bucs starters and backups.

Well, shickingly we are in disagreement. They hardly carved us up in the 1st half. They had about 20 yards or so more than us passing in the 1st half and 50+ of their yards came on a missed tackle. So I don't know where you got all of these big gainers from? We outrushed them and held the ball longer than them and that was with a turnover.

And yes, Arenas did set up a short field. So what? That's what he is there to do. And we capitalized on it like we should have by putting 7 on the board. We set up a short field for them when Jones fumbled and we held them to 3.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:21 PM

Cassel goes 14-19 for 125 and a TD in the 1st half and people bitch.

Charles carried for about a 5 yard average and people bitch.

Bowe had a 10yd average and people bitch.

We hold them to 10 pts, 3 of which came off a turnover and 7 from a missed tackle and people bitch.

There was hardly anything to gripe about in the 1st half except Flowers making an ill-advised attempt at a high tackle.

Saul Good 08-21-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947613)

We fumbled in our own territory, and our defense held them to a field goal. Other than that, we have up one big play which turned into a long TD reception. 10 total points given up in the first half.

Matt Cassel completes 70+% of his passes for 125 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTs for a rating of 108.

****ing pathetic is right.

Saul Good 08-21-2010 09:22 PM

I will say that out athleticism is greatly improved. It's nice seeing guys like Charles, McCluster, Arenas, and even Bowe with the ball in their hands.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947646)
I will say that out athleticism is greatly improved. It's nice seeing guys like Charles, McCluster, Arenas, and even Bowe with the ball in their hands.

McCluster didn't handle the ball but I think twice, once went pretty much no where the other was a good gain.

Arenas did what we brought him here to do.

Charles is Charles

Mr. Arrowhead 08-21-2010 09:24 PM

This is Chiefsplanet, people would still bitch even if we won the Super bowl

DaneMcCloud 08-21-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947637)
We fumbled in our own territory, and our defense held them to a field goal. Other than that, we have up one big play which turned into a long TD reception. 10 total points given up in the first half.

Matt Cassel completes 70+% of his passes for 125 yards, 1 TD, and 0 INTs for a rating of 108.

****ing pathetic is right.

Yeah, you're right. The degree of difficulty for a 6'5, 230 pound professionally trained athlete to throw the football 9-12 feet at a time is off the charts.

Cassel's inhuman.

OnTheWarpath15 08-21-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947656)
Yeah, you're right. The degree of difficulty for a 6'5, 230 pound professionally trained athlete to throw the football 9-12 feet at a time is off the charts.

Cassel's inhuman.

More dink and dunk, eh?

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947656)

Cassel's inhuman.

If you have paid any attention you know I am not a Cassel fan. But JFC, Dane, he had a great game. I like a ball possession offense anyway. I would like to see us go deep more but ****, how you can complain about his performance tonight is beyond me?

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:27 PM

Cassel acutally played good tonight I know you guys won't see it through your bullshit colored Gunther glasses.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947661)
More dink and dunk, eh?

Conservative but that is just how this offense is going to be. And that is fine with me as long as we move the ball. It eats time off the clock and keeps the legs of the defense fresh. Our running game looked good tonight. Say what you will that it was against Tampa but it looked good in the 1st half.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:29 PM

Charlie Weis was brought in to throw down field

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:30 PM

Last week everyone cried that Cassel only threw 4 yard passes. First play of the game he throws for 11 or 12 and people are bitching that it wasn't 20. I am not sold on Cassel but I am not going to shit on a guy who had a good game either.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6947678)

Well you can only do what your talen level allows you to do, for one.

Secondly we weren't in a position to have to throw deep a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember NE airing it out down the field when Weis was there.

OnTheWarpath15 08-21-2010 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947676)
Conservative but that is just how this offense is going to be. And that is fine with me as long as we move the ball. It eats time off the clock and keeps the legs of the defense fresh. Our running game looked good tonight. Say what you will that it was against Tampa but it looked good in the 1st half.

That's a big if, IMO.

When defenses don't have to worry about anything thrown more than 10 yards in the air, it makes their job much easier.

Add in the gameplanning of the regular season, and we could be in some trouble if we can't stretch the field a bit.

Hopefully we can just run the ball and not have to worry about Cassel and his lack of downfield accuracy.

Chiefaholic 08-21-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947629)
Well, shickingly we are in disagreement. They hardly carved us up in the 1st half. They had about 20 yards or so more than us passing in the 1st half and 50+ of their yards came on a missed tackle. So I don't know where you got all of these big gainers from? We outrushed them and held the ball longer than them and that was with a turnover.

And yes, Arenas did set up a short field. So what? That's what he is there to do. And we capitalized on it like we should have by putting 7 on the board. We set up a short field for them when Jones fumbled and we held them to 3.

Agreed

Saul Good 08-21-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

More dink and dunk, eh?

He dink and dunked his way to 125 yards, a TD, and no pics in one half of play.

Tom Brady had one season of 3800+ passing yards in his career prior to Randy Moss joining the team. He had no seasons of a 93 or higher QB rating prior to Randy Moss. He did, however, win three rings.

I'm not saying that Cassel is a star by any means, but people here would be sucking Brady's balls if he played the same game that Cassel just did. He's made a career out of playing that exact same game.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947688)
Well you can only do what your talen level allows you to do, for one.

Secondly we weren't in a position to have to throw deep a lot. Correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember NE airing it out down the field when Weis was there.

It was a joke just tired of seeing the same tired argument even when the guy plays good these guys bitch like battered women. If you aren't going to be objective shut the **** up.

DaneMcCloud 08-21-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

More dink and dunk, eh?

I prefer Stink and Stunk

DaneMcCloud 08-21-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947668)
If you have paid any attention you know I am not a Cassel fan. But JFC, Dane, he had a great game. I like a ball possession offense anyway. I would like to see us go deep more but ****, how you can complain about his performance tonight is beyond me?

GREAT?

How many passes were completed past 20 yards? 15 yards?

I don't think you have a ****ing clue as to what a "GREAT" QB performance should look like.

SPchief 08-21-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6947678)

Since when is Weis capable of taking a three step drop?

OnTheWarpath15 08-21-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947693)
He dink and dunked his way to 125 yards, a TD, and no pics in one half of play.

Tom Brady had one season of 3800+ passing yards in his career prior to Randy Moss joining the team. He had no seasons of a 93 or higher QB rating prior to Randy Moss. He did, however, win three rings.

I'm not saying that Cassel is a star by any means, but people here would be sucking Brady's balls if he played the same game that Cassel just did. He's made a career out of playing that exact same game.

See two posts above yours.

If you're naive enough to think that this will work for 16 games in the regular season, be my guest.

And if you've lowered you're expectations so much that 10 points in 2 quarters against a piss-poor defense is a good showing, so be it.

I'll watch on Monday/Tuesday and come to my own conclusions, but it sounds like much of the same, only against a lessor opponent.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947690)
That's a big if, IMO.

When defenses don't have to worry about anything thrown more than 10 yards in the air, it makes their job much easier.

Add in the gameplanning of the regular season, and we could be in some trouble if we can't stretch the field a bit.

Hopefully we can just run the ball and not have to worry about Cassel and his lack of downfield accuracy.

Big if? Hardly. Did you not pay attention last year? Once Charles took over the offense improved immensely because it opened things up for the passing game. We are not going to be an air-Manning team. Cassel is not that kind of QB. I think people are just getting bent for no reason right now.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 6947699)

It was a joke.

I see what you did there.

notorious 08-21-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPchief (Post 6947699)

ROFL

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947696)
GREAT?

How many passes were completed past 20 yards? 15 yards?

I don't think you have a ****ing clue as to what a "GREAT" QB performance should look like.

Dane, I don't give a **** if we threw 25-4 yd passes if it results in a score. 14-19 for 125 and a TD is a great line any QB would take and any coach would accept.

DaneMcCloud 08-21-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947700)

If you're naive enough to think that this will work for 16 games in the regular season, be my guest.

And if you've lowered you're expectations so much that 10 points in 2 quarters against a piss-poor defense is a good showing, so be it.

I'll watch on Monday/Tuesday and come to my own conclusions, but it sounds like much of the same, only against a lessor opponent.

That's what I saw, albeit on a shitty internet broadcast.

Cassel has shown NO ability, IMO, to even be an average QB. Take a look at the Seattle-Green Bay game that's on right now. Charlie Whitehurst is a leader, knows how to improvise and is obviously a player (for $4 million a year, no less).

Cassel is Grbac part 2 with Gannon's arm strength.

And the defense looks as bad as advertised. When second year QB and a 4th round rookie WR consistently carve up your first team defense, you've got problems.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947700)

JFC, it's pre-season.

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947704)
Big if? Hardly. Did you not pay attention last year? Once Charles took over the offense improved immensely because it opened things up for the passing game. We are not going to be an air-Manning team. Cassel is not that kind of QB. I think people are just getting bent for no reason right now.

Uh Matt Cassel's passing stats were actually worse with Charles.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947712)
That's what I say, albeit on a shitty internet broadcast.

Cassel has shown NO ability, IMO, to even be an average QB. Take a look at the Seattle-Green Bay game that's on right now. Charlie Whitehurst is a leader, knows how to improvise and is obviously a player (for $4 million a year, no less).

And the defense looks as bad as advertised. When second year QB and a 4th round rookie WR consistently carve up your first team defense, you've got problems.

14-19 125 isn't average? Dane did you even watch the game?

OnTheWarpath15 08-21-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947704)

The passing game regressed when Charles took over, IIRC.

And it has nothing to do with "getting bent." It has everything to do with having realistic expectations once the bullets actually start flying for real.

You can't be one-dimensional in this league when you have a limited amount of talent.

Tell an NFL defense they only have to defend a box 10 yards deep, sideline to sideline, and even the worst will lick their chops.

I think 10 points in just under 4 quarters of work from the 1's speaks for itself.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:41 PM

If we apply the same logic that OTW is using then Tom Brady sucks as well.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947712)
That's what I say, albeit on a shitty internet broadcast.

Where do you keep getting this carved up shit? They had 1 big play because of a bad tackle that gave them 50+ of their yards and 7 of their 10 pts. They had a short, short field and only came away with 3 pts. Where are you getting this carved up shit?

DaneMcCloud 08-21-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947708)
Dane, I don't give a **** if we threw 25-4 yd passes if it results in a score. 14-19 for 125 and a TD is a great line any QB would take and any coach would accept.

Against the youngest team in the league? A team that scored just as many points?

LMAO

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6947728)

Guess so.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947731)
Where do you keep getting this carved up shit? They had 1 big play because of a bad tackle that gave them 50+ of their yards and 7 of their 10 pts. They had a short, short field and only came away with 3 pts. Where are you getting this carved up shit?

These guys are paper champions it's apparent they don't watch the game and only go by stats (unless it's Cassel)

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947731)

How many times was Mike Williams open and how many times did the ball go there? It was a consistent theme of the first half.

And his point is valid, you take a defense and tell them they only have to defend a 10 yard box and watch what happens...not to mention the Chiefs defense is not going to consistently get stops..

How's this story end?

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947733)
Against the youngest team in the league? A team that scored just as many points?

LMAO

I give up.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947734)
Guess so.

It's true the other night vs ATL Brady was dinking and dunking it to Welker all game and missed Randy Moss down field who had the secondary beat. Welker has been one of the league leader in catches the last few years how many of those do you want to be were thrown from less than 5 yards?

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:46 PM

And that Randy Moss guy and that deep shot to him is why those passes to Welker are open...try that here without that deep threat and watch how it's defended.

OnTheWarpath15 08-21-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6947728)

?

You're comparing a guy that has won 3 Super Bowl rings, and had a better completion percentage from 11-20 yards last year than Cassel did overall - to a preseason performance against one of the worst defenses in the league - and only scoring 10 points to boot?

You might want to look in the mirror if you're looking for flawed logic.

Tom Brady has no problem throwing the ball downfield.

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 6947745)
And that Randy Moss guy and that deep shot to him is why those passes to Welker are open...try that here without that deep threat and watch how it's defended.

You actually just made a great for argument. Chambers/Bowe sure aren't Randy Moss.

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:47 PM

I don't think he understands there's a difference in throwing a short pass because it's open and then taking your deep shot when it's there opposed to throwing short passes because it's all you can do.

DeezNutz 08-21-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6947742)
It's true the other night vs ATL Brady was dinking and dunking it to Welker all game and missed Randy Moss down field who had the secondary beat. Welker has been one of the league leader in catches the last few years how many of those do you want to be were thrown from less than 5 yards?

Has Brady established the fact that he can throw a good deep ball consistently? Do defenses have to respect the team's ability to stretch the field?

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947748)
?

You're comparing a guy that has won 3 Super Bowl rings, and had a better completion percentage from 11-20 yards last year than Cassel did overall - to a preseason performance against one of the worst defenses in the league - and only scoring 10 points to boot?

Classic OTW changing the goal post.

Listen,

You said Cassel was less than average tonight because he barley threw passes for more than 10 yards. How many throws from Brady to Welker or Faulk are for more than 5 yards?

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 6947739)
How many times was Mike Williams open and how many times did the ball go there? It was a consistent theme of the first half.

And his point is valid, you take a defense and tell them they only have to defend a 10 yard box and watch what happens...not to mention the Chiefs defense is not going to consistently get stops..

How's this story end?

Charles tore it up against Atlanta. Charles tore it up tonight for the limited time he has been in both games. You guys are all shitting your pants over games that are called so differently from the regular season.

So to answer your question, you know what you get when a defense does that like that did to us last year? JC going for over 1,000 yards in about 1/2 a season.

Really, some of you guys are just funny as hell with this stuff. I am not saying we are SB bound bound but come on. It is pre-season and we are still a developing team.

I saw people bitching about Tyson Jackson on a play where he didn't fall for the bootleg and ran the QB out of bounds. The QB gained a few yards but how many lineman are going to run down a mobile QB from behind? Yet people still found room to bitch about the play.

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6947750)
You actually just made a great for argument. Chambers/Bowe sure aren't Randy Moss.

Matt Cassel couldn't even consistently throw it down the field when he had Moss the best deep ball receiver to ever play the game...this issue is his.

Saul Good 08-21-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 6947733)

LMAO

What should Cassel's line have been? He threw one ball away on a busted play, and he spiked the ball once to stop the clock. Other than that, he had 3 incompletions in the half. What should his numbers have been?

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6947753)
Has Brady established the fact that he can throw a good deep ball consistently? Do defenses have to respect the team's ability to stretch the field?

I would say he didn't establish his deep threat until Moss got there.

OnTheWarpath15 08-21-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billay (Post 6947755)
Classic OTW changing the goal post.

Listen,

You said Cassel was less than average tonight because he barley threw passes for more than 10 yards. How many throws from Brady to Welker or Faulk are for more than 5 yards?

Where did I say that Cassel was "less than average?"

I'll wait.

Saul Good 08-21-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

He won 3 rings before he ever threw the ball downfield. He hasn't won anything since.

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by petegz28 (Post 6947756)
Charles tore it up against Atlanta. Charles tore it up tonight for the limited time he has been in both games. You guys are all shitting your pants over games that are called so differently from the regular season.

So to answer your question, you know what you get when a defense does that like that did to us last year? JC going for over 1,000 yards in about 1/2 a season.

Really, some of you guys are just funny as hell with this stuff. I am not saying we are SB bound bound but come on. It is pre-season and we are still a developing team.

I saw people bitching about Tyson Jackson on a play where he didn't fall for the bootleg and ran the QB out of bounds. The QB gained a few yards but how many lineman are going to run down a mobile QB from behind? Yet people still found room to bitch about the play.

Charles tore shit up for half of last year, it didn't make Matt Cassel improve, is this hard to understand?

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

I'd like to see Brady's stats throwing downfield his first few years. I don't recall him being great at it.

notorious 08-21-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947764)
He won 3 rings before he ever threw the ball downfield. He hasn't won anything since.

I said the same thing during the game thread.

Does anyone have a well thought-out, non-offensive explanation for this?

DeezNutz 08-21-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947758)
What should Cassel's line have been? He threw one ball away on a busted play, and he spiked the ball once to stop the clock. Other than that, he had 3 incompletions in the half. What should his numbers have been?

He had a very solid stat line. This isn't arguable, IMO.

But let me give you a microcosm for why I think he's yet another worthless sack of shit in a long line of worthless sacks of shit that we've had at the QB position:

3rd and about 7. Time in the pocket. No heavy pressure. Cassel shits himself and literally runs into a sack instead of staying strong in the pocket.

This is the anti Trent Green. That sumbitch was impervious to danger in the pocket. Not surprisingly, who lit up Cassel for his stupidity?

All of this goes back to my claim that Cassel possesses modest talent (at best) and extremely limited football instincts. And you're not going to teach or develop the latter at the professional level.

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 6947767)
I said the same thing during the game thread.

Does anyone have a well thought-out, non-offensive explanation for this?

That has more to do with the decline of their defense, but even when he wasn't throwing bombs, he still threw it more vertically than Cassel does.

I'm not asking Cassel to drop in 50 yarders on a dime, I'm asking him to be a solid intermediate passer that moves the sticks, Brady was that.

-King- 08-21-2010 09:53 PM

You guys have to remember that Tom Brady had a great deep ball receiver back in 01-04. Remember all those deep balls he comple.......oh wait.

DeezNutz 08-21-2010 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 6947764)

What? :spock:

Titty Meat 08-21-2010 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947763)
Where did I say that Cassel was "less than average?"

I'll wait.

My mistake I appear to have you confused with Dane. I didn't see you say he played good tonight which he did.

Mecca 08-21-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeezNutz (Post 6947772)
He had a very solid stat line. This isn't arguable, IMO.

But let me give you a microcosm for why I think he's yet another worthless sack of shit in a long line of worthless sacks of shit that we've had at the QB position:

3rd and about 7. Time in the pocket. No heavy pressure. Cassel shits himself and literally runs into a sack instead of staying strong in the pocket.

This is the anti Trent Green. That sumbitch was impervious to danger in the pocket. Not surprisingly, who lit up Cassel for his stupidity?

All of this goes back to my claim that Cassel possesses modest talent (at best) and extremely limited football instincts. And you're not going to teach or develop the latter at the professional level.

He just refuses to stand tall to make a throw, he will try to run and run right into a sack, happens way more than it should.

petegz28 08-21-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 6947748)
?

You guys are right, going by the logic some of you are trying to apply:

Atl sucks, they only scored 10 pts at home against NE
PHI sucks, they only scored 9 pts
CAR and NYJ suck cause 12 points were scored in total in that game

notorious 08-21-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 6947773)
That has more to do with the decline of their defense,

They did make the defensive holding rule because of NE, too. That didn't help their average D-Backs very much.