ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NCAA investigating Cam Newton for taking cash (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236322)

eazyb81 11-04-2010 05:21 PM

NCAA investigating Cam Newton for taking cash

Just hit ESPN. I guess that's one way that Bama can beat Auburn this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5765214

Quote:

During the height of star quarterback Cam Newton's recruitment out of junior college last year, a man saying he represented Newton allegedly was soliciting a six-figure payment to secure his signature on a national letter-of-intent, ESPN.com has learned.

Former Mississippi State quarterback John Bond told ESPN.com a teammate of Bond's at Mississippi State in the early 1980s contacted him soon after Newton's official visit to Mississippi State during the Ole Miss game in December, and said he was representing Newton.

"He said it would take some cash to get Cam," Bond said. "I called our athletic director, Greg Byrne, and he took it from there. That was pretty much it." Multiple sources told ESPN.com that Mississippi State called the SEC office with Bond's information shortly after he brought it to the attention of the school.

Sources told ESPN.com the former teammate is Kenny Rogers, who played at Mississippi State from 1982-85. Rogers operates a Chicago-based company called Elite Football Preparation, which holds camps in Chicago, Alabama and Mississippi. A Lexis search for that business lists Kenneth Rogers as the contact and his title as "agent." A Birmingham News story from 2008 said Elite Football Preparation "matches high school athletes with college programs."

Bond said the former teammate told him other schools had already offered $200,000, but since Newton really liked Mississippi State and had a relationship with head coach Dan Mullen dating to when both were at Florida, Mississippi State could get him for $180,000.

"I have no agenda other than protecting Mississippi State," Bond said. "We've done what we were supposed to do from the very beginning. Mississippi State has done nothing wrong, and I've done nothing wrong. It's been handed off to the NCAA, and it's in their hands now. I don't know what happened at Auburn. I don't know why he went to Auburn. That's not my concern. My concern is Mississippi State and making sure this doesn't cause us any trouble."

Bond said an NCAA investigator came to Mississippi to meet with him in early September, as well as with Mississippi State officials.
When interviewed by ESPN.com Thursday at the family's home in Atlanta, Cecil Newton, Cam's father, denied any wrongdoing.
"If Rogers tried to solicit money from Mississippi State, he did it on his own, without our knowledge," Cecil Newton said.
Cecil Newton said he first met Rogers two years ago, when Cam Newton left Florida. He said he talked to Rogers on several occasions to find out more about Mississippi State, but never met Rogers until Cam Newton's official visit to Starkville.

Cecil Newton said the family received a letter from the NCAA "about a month ago" asking for financial statements. He said he submitted bank statements and records for the church where he is pastor, Holy Zion Center of Deliverance in Newnan, Ga., along with other records.

The church has been in the news in Coweta County, Ga., often in the past year. According to stories in The Times-Herald newspaper Cecil Newton's church was in danger of being demolished by order of the Newnan City Council in 2009 for failing to meet the city's building code. One story said Cecil Newton told the council last September the building would be brought to code "inside of six months." After numerous delays, extensions and compromises from the council, renovation work began last spring and The Times-Herald reported last week that the church is in compliance with Newnan's building requirements.

"If you've ever seen our church, you'd know we don't have any money," said Cam Newton's mother, Jackie. "We have nothing."
Holy Zion Center of Deliverance is not the only church Cecil Newton is involved in overseeing. Cam Newton told ESPN.com last month that his dad is a bishop to five churches in Georgia.

"I'm just trying to protect my son's interests, because he's fought very hard to get back where he is," Cecil Newton said. "It's a hell of a fight when people give up on you and think they'll never see you or hear from you again."

NCAA officials declined comment on the allegation involving Newton on Wednesday.

"We do not comment on current, pending or potential investigations," said Stacey Osburn, the NCAA's associate director for media

and public relations.

Julie Roe Lach, the NCAA's new director of enforcement, said it is the association's policy to neither confirm nor deny an investigation.

SEC associate commissioner Greg Sankey, who oversees conference compliance, said the league received "specific information" regarding the Newton allegation in late July of this year.

"When we get information, we share it with the institution when it is involved," Sankey said.

Without specifically addressing the initial call from Mississippi State, which came several months earlier, Sankey said what the SEC originally was told about the allegation was "limited information."

"We don't deal in rumor and innuendo," Sankey said. "We deal in facts."

He said the SEC is not an investigative body, adding that it can share information with NCAA enforcement as needed. He declined to say whether the Newton allegation was shared with the NCAA.

Sankey also would not directly comment on whether the league office considers this an ongoing issue or a closed case.

"We're attentive to a variety of issues at any given time," he said. "We pay attention to a lot."

"We are comfortable that representatives of Mississippi State University's interests conducted themselves appropriately and in compliance with all NCAA by-laws," Mississippi State said in a statement to ESPN.com. "Mississippi State is committed to operating our athletics programs within the rules of the NCAA and Southeastern Conference, and we expect those affiliated with our program to continue to do the same."

Sources said Mississippi State refused to get involved with Rogers, whose association with Chicago-based agent Ian Greengross has come under scrutiny from the NFL Players Association and the NCAA.

NFLPA spokesman Carl Francis told ESPN.com on Thursday the organization is "in the process of investigating [Greengross and Rogers] as we speak for violations of our rules and regulations."

A voice message left with Greengross by ESPN.com was not immediately returned. Attempts to reach Rogers, who also played for the Miami Dolphins during the 1987 strike, were unsuccessful. The voice mailbox at Elite Football Preparation was full Thursday.
At the time of Rogers' alleged solicitation, Mississippi State was perceived to have the inside track because of Newton's relationship with Mullen, who was the offensive coordinator at Florida when Newton was a backup to Tim Tebow. He later left Florida and went to Blinn College, a two-year school in Brenham, Texas.

After his official visit to Starkville, Newton took visits to Oklahoma on Dec. 11 and Auburn Dec. 18.

On Dec. 31, 2009, Newton publicly committed to Auburn, where this season he has led the Tigers to a 9-0 record and No. 2 ranking in the BCS standings. Along the way, Newton's dazzling running and passing have elevated him to Heisman Trophy favorite status.
"We have been made aware of the allegation. Unfortunately, we cannot comment at this time," Auburn assistant athletic director, media relations Kirk Sampson said. "However, Cam Newton is eligible to play football at Auburn."

keg in kc 11-04-2010 05:24 PM

This should be interesting.

Consistent1 11-04-2010 06:16 PM

Some of these "second coming of Vick" guys it seems are more abundant again better get some cash now, or learn a position they can play in the pros. That Michigan dude really comes to mind. This will be interesting though.

Mile High Mania 11-04-2010 06:22 PM

Could have just been a deal by the agent, so hard to tell.

DaKCMan AP 11-04-2010 06:32 PM

This is old "news".

DaKCMan AP 11-04-2010 06:40 PM

Correction: I heard about this rumor a while ago, but the NCAA now investigating is new.

ohiobronco2 11-04-2010 06:42 PM

SEC SEC SEC.

DaKCMan AP 11-04-2010 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 (Post 7145997)
SEC SEC SEC.

Right, cause the same shit doesn't happen in the Big 10, Pac 10, Big XII and every other BCS conference. :rolleyes:

pr_capone 11-04-2010 06:57 PM

Bo Jackson will be crushed.

ohiobronco2 11-04-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7146004)
Right, cause the same shit doesn't happen in the Big 10, Pac 10, Big XII and every other BCS conference. :rolleyes:

Every conference seems to have about one team with either a questionable program or head coach. The SEC has several. florida (How many arrests under Urban. I wont leave BG for Utah. I won't leave Utah for florida. I won't leave florida for.......), Alabama (oversigns every year. Abuse of the medical redshirt. Saban is a lying scum bag.), Arkansas (Petrino-Do I need to insert the Mike Zimmer rant here?) and Auburn(Newton-we will have to wait and see).

Bewbies 11-04-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 (Post 7146077)
Every conference seems to have about one team with either a questionable program or head coach. The SEC has several. florida (How many arrests under Urban. I wont leave BG for Utah. I won't leave Utah for florida. I won't leave florida for.......), Alabama (oversigns every year. Abuse of the medical redshirt. Saban is a lying scum bag.), Arkansas (Petrino-Do I need to insert the Mike Zimmer rant here?) and Auburn(Newton-we will have to wait and see).

Are you both a Bronco fan and forced to live in Ohio? Wow, that sucks.

Demonpenz 11-04-2010 09:17 PM

I remember when Nick Nolte had to pay all that money to Neon and Penny Hardaway to dunk basketballs

Reaper16 11-04-2010 09:53 PM

'Bama is going to beat Auburn regardless.

ohiobronco2 11-04-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7146260)

This.

eazyb81 11-05-2010 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7145996)
Correction: I heard about this rumor a while ago, but the NCAA now investigating is new.

Do you think Florida got a refund on their payment since he left school early?

DaKCMan AP 11-05-2010 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiobronco2 (Post 7146077)

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazyb81 (Post 7146622)
Do you think Florida got a refund on their payment since he left school early?

As much as people like to point out, joke about, condemn Florida's "arrest" record the facts are:

- Out of the “30 arrests”, there were 23 misdemeanors (9 dropped) & 7 felonies

- Of the 7 felonies, 2 charges were dropped, leaving 5 felonies

- The 5 felonies:

1. Avery Atkins, suspended indefinitely, left school, committed suicide

2. Ronnie Wilson, suspended 12 games, later kicked off team

3. Jamar Horsnby, kicked off team, transferred to Ole Miss

4. Jacques Rickerson, kicked off team

5. Cam Newton, suspended indefinitely, left school, transferred to AUB

Not a single player charged with a felony walked on the field wearing the UF uniform again.

tk13 11-09-2010 11:51 PM

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5786315

Quote:

Two sources who recruit for Mississippi State said that Cecil Newton and his son, quarterback Cam Newton, admitted in separate phone conversations to a pay-for-play plan while Newton was being recruited late last year.

Mississippi State compliance officials relayed the alleged conversations to Southeastern Conference compliance officials in January, according to two other sources close to the football program.

Prior to Newton's commitment to Auburn, one of the recruiters said Cecil Newton told him it would take "more than a scholarship" to bring his son to Mississippi State, a request the source said the school would not meet. Cecil Newton also referred the recruiter to a third person that would provide more specifics, the source said.

After Newton committed to Auburn, another source said an emotional Cam Newton phoned another recruiter to express regret that he wouldn't be going to Mississippi State, stating that his father Cecil had chosen Auburn for him because "the money was too much."

Buck 11-10-2010 02:03 PM

So if Auburn is undefeated after the SEC Championship game, but the Cam Newton thing hasn't been figured out, do you think either the BCS or Heisman Trust will DQ Auburn/Newton?

If they have Auburn in the Nat'l Championship game, and Auburn wins, and a month later he is found guilty, what then?

eazyb81 11-10-2010 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 7162976)
So if Auburn is undefeated after the SEC Championship game, but the Cam Newton thing hasn't been figured out, do you think either the BCS or Heisman Trust will DQ Auburn/Newton?

If they have Auburn in the Nat'l Championship game, and Auburn wins, and a month later he is found guilty, what then?

Same thing that happened to USC with Reggie Bush.

The NCAA is praying that Saban beats Auburn so this Newton mess isn't a cloud over the BCS championship game.

Beef Supreme 11-10-2010 02:38 PM

Such a two-faced society we are. How many millions are other people making off of star college athletes while they risk injuries that could keep them from making money in the pros?

While I don't think a school should be able to buy a national championship, I do find it unfair that everyone else involved makes a shitpile of money off of these kids, but they are required to get nothing and risk everything.

It's also not even illegal. It's just against collegiate rules, and the punishment is they can't play anymore.

They won't ever be able to stop this behavior. It is simply supply and demand.

blaise 11-10-2010 02:41 PM

When Cam Newton goes to McDonalds he orders water and then fills his cup with Coke.

alpha_omega 11-10-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 7163086)
When Cam Newton goes to McDonalds he orders water and then fills his cup with Coke.

But does he also have the Rat Salad?

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 7163078)
I do find it unfair that everyone else involved makes a shitpile of money off of these kids, but they are required to get nothing and risk everything.

Uh, many of these kids get into schools they wouldn't based solely upon academics, they get a free education, free housing, free food, free clothing, etc. If you add up the costs at a relatively inexpensive school like Florida, you're probably talking $25k-$30k for an in-state kid and $45k-$50k for an out-of-state kid per year.

You jump to a USC and tuition alone is $40k+ per year.

CoMoChief 11-10-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Such a two-faced society we are. How many millions are other people making off of star college athletes while they risk injuries that could keep them from making money in the pros?

While I don't think a school should be able to buy a national championship, I do find it unfair that everyone else involved makes a shitpile of money off of these kids, but they are required to get nothing and risk everything.

It's also not even illegal. It's just against collegiate rules, and the punishment is they can't play anymore.

They won't ever be able to stop this behavior. It is simply supply and demand.

BUT BUT BUT BUT these high starred recruits are getting................wait.....................A COLLEGE EDUCATION!!!!!!!!!!

NOTHING can be more valuable I tell ya!!!

CoMoChief 11-10-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7163400)
Uh, many of these kids get into schools they wouldn't based solely upon academics, they get a free education, free housing, free food, free clothing, etc. If you add up the costs at a relatively inexpensive school like Florida, you're probably talking $25k-$30k for an in-state kid and $45k-$50k for an out-of-state kid per year.

Dude, its not even close to comparison when you're talking about the money the school spends on the players and the money the Ath dept makes off these programs.

If it wasn't worth the money....they would never do it. PERIOD.

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 7163437)
Dude, its not even close to comparison when you're talking about the money the school spends on the players and the money the Ath dept makes off these programs.

If it wasn't worth the money....they would never do it. PERIOD.

For some major programs, yes. For many others football makes just enough to cover the other athletic programs (thanks to Title IX).

Players get more out of it than just education, too. They get coaching, strength & conditioning, medical care, etc. None of them are proven stars. They might get hurt (in which the school still pays their scholarship). For the guys who will eventually go pro, the athletic program is also preparing them for it. All of that costs $$ and is valuable to the athlete.

WilliamTheIrish 11-10-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7163400)

Then give them 50k a year and forget the school part. You want a kid to stay all 4 years? Just pay him. That's why he's there.

The rest of the argument doesn't hold water.

Bewbies 11-10-2010 07:21 PM

I like how nobody is pointing out that if Newton was only playing for money, and he's now at Auburn, perhaps they're not clean in this....

WilliamTheIrish 11-10-2010 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7163652)
I like how nobody is pointing out that if Newton was only playing for money, and he's now at Auburn, perhaps they're not clean in this....

In my case, I don't give one good damn if was paid or demanded payment. At least he got something out of the deal.

the Talking Can 11-10-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7163652)

because it goes without saying

GloryDayz 11-10-2010 07:32 PM

The NCAA can't stand somebody else making a buck. Sure, it's OK if they offer a usless degree to students who, in most cases, can't read by the time they graduate, but make a buck - he11 no!!! The NCAA can KMA, I think the players need to say they don't give a rats a55 about the GD classes, and the coin their providing is a worth a LOT more than the $10K (total) education they're getting in return... The NCAA is run by cowards...

Saul Good 11-10-2010 07:36 PM

Quote:

They won't ever be able to stop this behavior.

They won't ever stop false starts, either. They should just do away with all rules.

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 7163639)
Then give them 50k a year and forget the school part. You want a kid to stay all 4 years? Just pay him. That's why he's there.

You realize a very very very small percentage of them go pro?

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 7163673)
The NCAA can't stand somebody else making a buck. Sure, it's OK if they offer a usless degree to students who, in most cases, can't read by the time they graduate, but make a buck - he11 no!!! The NCAA can KMA, I think the players need to say they don't give a rats a55 about the GD classes, and the coin their providing is a worth a LOT more than the $10K (total) education they're getting in return... The NCAA is run by cowards...

This post is full of fail. Most players can't read? Talk about generalizing the mass based upon a few. $10k in total education? ROFL Please. I know plenty of former D-1 players who never went (or planned to go) pro. They all graduated and have jobs because of their degrees.

GloryDayz 11-10-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7163694)
This post is full of fail. Most players can't read? Talk about generalizing the mass based upon a few. $10k in total education? ROFL Please. I know plenty of former D-1 players who never went (or planned to go) pro. They all graduated and have jobs because of their degrees.

Sure, then you wake up! Do they move to China and make baskets? ROFL

Bewbies 11-10-2010 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7163668)
because it goes without saying

That could be, but folks are quick to crucify Newton while staying mute on Auburn.

DaKCMan AP 11-10-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 7163711)
That could be, but folks are quick to crucify Newton while staying mute on Auburn.

If it's true then Auburn will suffer in the long term. The damage to Newton will mostly be through the media like it is now.

GloryDayz 11-10-2010 08:01 PM

I hope he and his family make LOTS of money while he's in college and has a wonderful NFL career after that. Good for him and his family...

blaise 11-10-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

They compensate him the way they want to. If he doesn't like it he can go get a job.

DaneMcCloud 11-10-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

This is untrue and there's no ****ing way in the world it would EVER work.

Can you imagine giving a kid in the projects $50k to play football BUT requiring him to pay for books, tuition, meals and housing? There's no way that $50k would go for schooling because the pressure from his family and friends to "share" that money would be enormous.

I could see D-I schools paying their players $100 per game in addition to their scholarships but there's no way they're going to pay them $4k per game.

Furthermore, 99% of these kids play football as a way to pay for education and that should not be changed.

Bewbies 11-11-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7163725)
If it's true then Auburn will suffer in the long term. The damage to Newton will mostly be through the media like it is now.

Yeah, Auburn, Chizek etc are gonna burn for this one if it's true.

KC native 11-11-2010 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper16 (Post 7146260)

I'm hoping for this. TCU needs either Oregon or Auburn to lose. I would prefer to play Auburn but I don't see Oregon losing and Bama has a good chance to beat Auburn/

sportsman1 11-11-2010 01:04 AM

Hoping this gets out soon for TCU's sake. They deserve it. That program has been fun to watch build. I find it ridiculous how some on here actually think that it is ok for college players to get payed. I mean really? I wish I could get a full scholy and play football.

WilliamTheIrish 11-11-2010 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7164122)
This is untrue and there's no ****ing way in the world it would EVER work.

Can you imagine giving a kid in the projects $50k to play football BUT requiring him to pay for books, tuition, meals and housing? There's no way that $50k would go for schooling because the pressure from his family and friends to "share" that money would be enormous.

I could see D-I schools paying their players $100 per game in addition to their scholarships but there's no way they're going to pay them $4k per game.

Furthermore, 99% of these kids play football as a way to pay for education and that should not be changed.

Why include school at all? The real players go on to make real money. Then 86% end up bankrupt. Disguising it as an education doesn't make it an education.

Run it like what it is: A NFL minor league. Pay them. Let them wear the colors. Give them real compensation. Handing out degrees in Communications doesn't mean shit.

Mojo Jojo 11-11-2010 06:40 AM

Paying the players will not stop this behavior. If each kid was to get X-dollars...some will still be looking to get X-dollars plus, and alumni/supporters will be willing to pay. Recruiting is a business, and benefactors want to win.

Silock 11-11-2010 06:43 AM

Let's be real: All the good players get paid. Some are just better at not getting caught.

jspchief 11-11-2010 09:48 AM

I see 1 major problem with paying college players, and I think it has a lot more impact on NCAA rules than "we want all the money for ourselves".

It would create an enormous imbalance. The best schools would make the most money, so be able to pay the most for their athletes, getting even better as a result. It would be a snowball effect ending in 10-12 teams having all the best athletes and the rest of the NCAA football teams becoming irrelevant.

It's big money business, and not entirely fair that the athletes don't get a bigger slice of the pie. But those are the rules of the game and if you don't like them you don't have to play football and be some university's golden goose.

DJ's left nut 11-11-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Yeah!!!

It's not like most major programs are state schools or anything. Or funded by tax dollars.

Nah, it's not like college football has become revenue neutral at this point for 90% of the programs in the country so any 'pay to play' revenue would have to come from the public coffers.

Just fire up the ol' printing presses and pay these guys. College professors - who needs 'em? University support staff - total waste of money. Let's just have state funded, land grant universities spend millions of dollars/year on player salaries.

This can't possibly end poorly.

Some people need one of those network delay buttons on their thoughts. Seriously - before you articulate a thought, run it through your head for about 5 seconds and consider it in its entirety before putting it out there for general consumption. You'll find that people think you're far less stupid that way.

DJ's left nut 11-11-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo Jojo (Post 7164231)
Paying the players will not stop this behavior. If each kid was to get X-dollars...some will still be looking to get X-dollars plus, and alumni/supporters will be willing to pay. Recruiting is a business, and benefactors want to win.

Exactly.

The only way you could make it completely above the board is by essentially making it wholely unregulated. Allow schools to pay whoever they want, whatever they want.

T. Boone Pickens wants Okie State to run the single wing with Newton, Robinson and Ingram? That can be arranged, he'll just need to sell a few windmills first.

The 'pay to play' crowd won't look past the ends of their noses on this one. It's a completely assinine idea.

But hey - here's a money making opportunity for everyone that thinks this is a great idea. Start a real, for profit, NFL minor league system. These guys don't have to go to college. Start a league that pays them real salaries (hell, let's say $50K season, as has been suggested). Let them play in the minors for several seasons and then send them on to the NFL. If these kids are only in it for the paycheck, surely they'd love to go to the NFLM and play for real money.

Oh wait....that's been tried already? And it was backed by extremely wealthy people? And failed?

Shit, guess we probably oughta scrap this dipshit idea then.

vailpass 11-11-2010 10:02 AM

Did you hear his response to the allegations? Zero remorse, zero responsibility. despicable. The kid is a piece of shit with no redeeming qualities outside of being able to run fast and throw some.

"I isnt goan to commentate on dis heah' subjeck eitha' way cuz it aint gonna' affects me none."

Demonpenz 11-11-2010 11:15 AM

I hope the makes all he can with his talents within the legal limits of the laws in that state. To me I would adhere to exactly what the NCAA wants just to stay eligible enough for me to showcase my talents, then get paid. Gotta eat!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 11-18-2010 12:39 AM

Long read

http://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/m...asp?p=22778676

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-18-2010 01:45 AM

I really wish they'd give Auburn football the death penalty. That program is constantly in trouble.

NaptownChief 11-18-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7181190)

Man that is some filthy stuff.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-18-2010 01:59 AM

This is fascinating and disgusting. I've never seen Bobby Lowder, but in my mind he's a good ole boy version of Caligula against the backdrop of the banking system and college football.

Sounds like the kind of guy who needs to be beaten to death with a log chain.

NaptownChief 11-18-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7181218)
This is fascinating and disgusting. I've never seen Bobby Lowder, but in my mind he's a good ole boy version of Caligula against the backdrop of the banking system and college football.

Sounds like the kind of guy who needs to be beaten to death with a log chain.

I haven't seen him either but I had this visual of Buddy Garrity from Friday Night Lights in my head the whole time reading about him.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-18-2010 02:07 AM

This is pretty much the most awesome fire and brimstone post in web history:

unlike Aubs and Gadsden, and (insert recruit X here) being sold to Bama, this tale of cheating is factual and fatal. I cannot nor will I say anything other than this.

Auburn is going on probation for a very long time. enjoy playing cam yesterday to keep Bama from Atlanta. enjoy playing cam so that you could give your fans a send off to Atlanta. enjoy watching a player who gave your program the finger kneel at the goalpost so your "family" could be fooled again. He and his family could care less about you.

Save it.....repeat it..put in on the bunker.........mark my word and my reputation (which means nothing at all in the true sense of the word after all..this is an internet board for goodness sake..VBG)

You are about to be publically humiliated and punished harder than any College Football team in history..except SMU.

Cam will be stricken from your record books. All wins, championships, and records will be gone. You will spend a decade at the BOTTOM of the SEC West, and financial hits will devastate your entire school (note..not the AD alone).

You will reinforce your reputation as the most corrupt college program in history. You will be forced to change the name of your "field". You will lose to Alabama for a decade if not more. And finally, if leadership can be brought to the forefront, (and yes, this is the only prediction about which I cannot put forth what I consider strong evidence), you will be kicked out of the Southeastern Conference in a unanimous vote.

Enjoy this limited run. And Will Collier..yes I know you will read this post...Hell is REALLY coming to burn your program to the ground. Go ahead and get your "conspiracy theories" ready..go ahead and try to figure out how you can claim championships that were rightfully stipped from you..go ahead and focus on how you will bring down Alabama, your singular obsession in life.

Your hell continues this week..........we here plan to enjoy your pain.

the Talking Can 11-18-2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemon_Pie (Post 7181190)

dude in that thread put it all in a pdf
http://filesocial.com/x9sj76

eazyb81 11-18-2010 10:53 AM

How in the hell is this thread not longer?

Auburn is going down and it is not going to be pretty.

Here is an email circulating in SEC country:

Quote:

What a mess. If Scam gets ruled ineligible between now and Dec. 4, then LSU should be playing the game instead of auburn.

One of the bookie sites (forward to me) has published a statement that NCAA insiders are saying that Auburn will get the worst punishment since the SMU death penalty.

Word on the street is that in the FBI tapes from the wiretaps involved in the Victoryland case there is plenty of talk by MacGregor about payments to players and what-not. Supposedly the FBI has let the NCAA know.

Right now I pretty much believe Auburn's guilty but wouldn't be surprised at all if they walked.

Here is the cliff notes without the background information on the parties involved. Most of this is speculation based on what we know and/or believe to be true.

1. Cecil Newton shops Cam to MSU. MSU doesn't pay and reports it to the SEC office. Cecil continues shopping Cam.

2. Slive/SEC request information from the AU AD/Compliance people. They reply that they didn't find anything. The power brokers at Auburn have played this game before (as learned from all the background links) and knew what to say to the SEC to attempt the clean sweep under the rug. Chizik, after all, was hired just to enable these guys to do just what is being alleged. Cam AND other players sign on and gives AU arguably their best recruiting class ever. This is with a less than stellar head coach reputation wise that went 7-5 the year before and 5-19 before that.

3. SEC/Slive accepts this answer because it is better if nothing comes of it and much easier than taking it seriously; especially considering AU was expected to win 7-9 games at best before the season. Auburn going undefeated caused this to fester.

4. MSU is ****ed at AU and the SEC. They followed protocol and were basically ignored on nothing more than AU's word. They were also probably not happy about the cowbell situation (as stupid as that sounds) and forwards everything they have to the NCAA directly.

5. Meanwhile the FBI is working on a seemingly unrelated case involving Alabama political gaming interests etc. As a side effect of their surveillance of the key figures (most notably huge AU booster and Victoryland owner Milton McGregor) they gain intelligence about the pay to play system currently in place at AU. It is known the FBI got wiretaps on McGregor. McGregor associates with Dye, Rane, Lowder and others connected directly to AU on a regular basis. These guys are caught discussing paying for multiple players and how they were doing it.

6. The FBI questions the NCAA if they know what is going on down at AU and suggests to some of this information to them. See, the FBI was involved from the beginning; they didn't just join the party. This was not the intent of the FBI's original investigation it was just a bonus of wiretapping powerful AU boosters. This just kind of fell into their lap and they passed it along to the NCAA. This is why this case is on the "fast track"; the NCAA has firm starting point thanks to the FBI. This is also why both the FBI and NCAA have been simultaneously interviewing known parties involved as well as some that were not known previously or haven't been made public yet. They needed to get testimony and match it up with the wiretap evidence.

7. The NCAA privately contact and slam Slive and company at the SEC for trying to sweep this under the rug (because that is how it looks to the NCAA). This is why Slive was so defensive and angry at the parties involved and felt like they didn't get the same information as the NCAA. Slive and the SEC did have SOME information though and chose to sit on it. Big mistake. Slive and the SEC will try to save face, but they are going to take a major hit once this is over.

8. Last Thursday: The powers that be at AU got a glimpse of the wiretaps and know they are in deep ****. They know they're done and that it is just a matter of time before it hits the fan. They go all in for real and decide to play Cam to go out in what one insider was reported of saying, "a blaze of glory"

9. Future: There is probably more to come this week, but a little farther on the horizon: Once the interviewers start making the rounds inside the power brokers at AU, the rats will come out and they will cannibalize each other in testimony not knowing exactly what the FBI/NCAA has and does not have on wiretap.

cdirty 11-18-2010 11:01 AM

what is victoryland?

BigMeatballDave 11-18-2010 11:09 AM

I wonder if the NCAA will act on this in time to keep Auburn out of any post-season play?

blaise 11-18-2010 11:09 AM

I put a jink on Auburn when Pat Dye went for the tie against Syracuse in the Sugar Bowl. This is just a continuation of that.

blaise 11-18-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 7181572)
I wonder if the NCAA will act on this in time to keep Auburn out of any post-season play?

I wonder if they rule Auburn ineligible for the season, if it will be duducted from other teams schedules that lost to them. Would then LSU be unbeaten? I don't know how that works.

eazyb81 11-18-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdirty (Post 7181556)
what is victoryland?

Casino/racetrack/hotel combo owned by a big Auburn donor.

I believe it has now been shutdown and is being heavily investigated by the FBI due to wire fraud, gaming regulations, etc.

veist 11-18-2010 07:34 PM

If everything in that thread is true I could see them getting booted from the SEC. Also good to finally get a good bead on why the FBI is so involved.

Buck 11-18-2010 08:36 PM

Holy shit. If all that shot is true, Auburn is pretty much ****ed for the next 20 years.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-18-2010 08:41 PM

Auburn is arguably the dirtiest program in NCAA history. They shouldn't just get the death penalty and get a reinstatement in a few years, their football program should be banned for 25 years. Enough to make sure that all these mother****ers are dead and buried.

Let all of the clean FB players transfer without sitting out and blackball the guys involved in recruiting from ever having a coaching job with an NCAA-affiliated school.