ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Conan on TBS (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=236545)

teedubya 11-08-2010 09:46 PM

Conan on TBS

Series starts in 14 minutes. Should be interesting. :D

teedubya 11-08-2010 09:49 PM

His first monologue
Spoiler!

007 11-09-2010 12:38 AM

Damn, I forgot about this. Hope they have it online for streaming tomorrow.

Sofa King 11-09-2010 09:54 AM

I watched about midway through Seth Rogans part and i lost interest and turned it to family guy

vailpass 11-09-2010 10:38 AM

People still watch commercial TV shows while they are on? How can you fast forward through the commercials?

DaFace 11-09-2010 11:33 AM

Reasonably funny. He seemed a little out of practice, honestly, but I like the overall format. I'm glad to see Andy is back on the couch - that was a major mistake in the Tonight Show, in my opinion.

DMAC 11-09-2010 11:39 AM

I lost interest before it ever came on.

CoMoChief 11-09-2010 12:52 PM

i was ROFL when he was leaving and drove up to the gate guard in his green ford taurus.

that's probably the most famous taurus on the plant.

I am so glad he's back on TV. Seth Rogan lost a shit ton of weight. He walked out and was a skinny man.

Deberg_1990 11-09-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7160407)
People still watch commercial TV shows while they are on? How can you fast forward through the commercials?

heh, oddly enough, i now find it weird when i watch a show "live" as its on because i cant FF through the commercials....its irritating now. LOL

My kids are so used to it now, they get disappointed when they cant FF through something....

It actually frees up time, i can do other things in the early evening, start watching shows around 9PM, then be done in under two hours. Win!

kcxiv 11-09-2010 02:01 PM

i thought it was good. First episode was just supposed to be about him and it was. Him singing at the end with that dude was pretty good. Like his intro and his monologue.

I was laughing my ass off when he was moving the moon. haha

vailpass 11-09-2010 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7160771)
heh, oddly enough, i now find it weird when i watch a show "live" as its on because i cant FF through the commercials....its irritating now. LOL

My kids are so used to it now, they get disappointed when they cant FF through something....

It actually frees up time, i can do other things in the early evening, start watching shows around 9PM, then be done in under two hours. Win!

Yes, exactly. There is only one show I watch regularly on commercial TV, Big Bang Theory, and the rest are football games. Amazing how much faster you can watch a game when you can eliminate the commercials.

blazzin311 11-09-2010 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7160831)
i thought it was good. First episode was just supposed to be about him and it was. Him singing at the end with that dude was pretty good. Like his intro and his monologue.

I was laughing my ass off when he was moving the moon. haha

Agreed! I enjoyed his TBS debut as well. I thought the stoner bit with Seth Rogen was pretty funny too. It was so easy to tell he was baked off his ass. I'll probably continue to watch from time to time. Hell my fav. is Craig Ferguson and I don't even get to catch his show as often as I might like. That being said he and Conan are easily the best in late night talk shows in my opinion anyways and I do enjoy their shows when I have the free time to watch.

teedubya 11-09-2010 03:14 PM

Ill at least be DVRing this week. The show was pretty funny.

However, George Lopez was NOT, IMO.

Basileus777 11-09-2010 03:45 PM

I thought it was a pretty good first show.

You can watch the full episode here if you missed it:

http://www.tbs.com/video/conan.jsp?o...f=sharethisUrl

googlegoogle 11-09-2010 04:59 PM

All the latenight guys are identical in style. (desks? necessary?)

We need a Benny Hill type comedian. Sexy show with good skits.

DaFace 11-10-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlegoogle (Post 7161307)

Identical? C'mon dude. There are similarities of course, but Leno and Craig Ferguson (for example) don't even seem like they're in the same genre.

Sofa King 11-10-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by googlegoogle (Post 7161307)

I'd watch a Dean Martin type show in a heartbeat.

Jenson71 11-10-2010 01:00 PM

Something has got to be said for Mr. Tom Hanks. The guy is classy, funny, clean, and overwhelming gracious enough to do the types of gags he does.

Demonpenz 11-10-2010 01:02 PM

Tom Hanks knows he is on Bonus time after LadyKillers.

blazzin311 11-10-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7162716)
Identical? C'mon dude. There are similarities of course, but Leno and Craig Ferguson (for example) don't even seem like they're in the same genre.

Kinda what I was gonna point out. I mean Ferguson is about as unconventional as it gets when it comes to late night talk show hosts. Dude's a riot, which is why he's my favorite. Conan's new show though so far so good through two episodes anyways.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson71 (Post 7162816)
Something has got to be said for Mr. Tom Hanks. The guy is classy, funny, clean, and overwhelming gracious enough to do the types of gags he does.

Agreed. Hanks is definitely one of a kind.

DaFace 11-10-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blazzin311 (Post 7163476)
Kinda what I was gonna point out. I mean Ferguson is about as unconventional as it gets when it comes to late night talk show hosts. Dude's a riot, which is why he's my favorite. Conan's new show though so far so good through two episodes anyways.

Yeah, I had never even watched Craig until Conan got the shaft back in January, but now that I've gotten used to him, it's almost hard to go back to a more "traditional" format. I still love Conan, but it seems so...scripted...once you get used to Craig basically just making it up the whole time.

Demonpenz 11-10-2010 10:37 PM

if you are a craig fergenson fan I recommend his podcast on the webapage "the nerdist" pretty funny.

blazzin311 11-10-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7163916)
Yeah, I had never even watched Craig until Conan got the shaft back in January, but now that I've gotten used to him, it's almost hard to go back to a more "traditional" format. I still love Conan, but it seems so...scripted...once you get used to Craig basically just making it up the whole time.

Bingo....I think you nailed it with that comment. Of the late night talk shows I used to watch exclusively Conan up until 3 years ago or so I had a buddy of mine advise me that Craig Ferguson is what I should be watching. Ever since that point on (being the first episode of Craig's that I viewed) he's the only one I've really watched since. I can't stand Leno or Letterman. To be honest ever since I started watching Craig's show I haven't even seen any of Conan's shows until this new one started up a couple of nights ago. I just figured at least for the first week of Conan's new show it's got to be pretty good...but Craig's still my favorite. Everything he does on the show just seems so improvised and in the moment rather than just reading a bunch of scripted jokes from a teleprompter or something along those lines.

CoMoChief 11-10-2010 10:42 PM

that GWB driving scene was funny as hell.

Nixhex 11-11-2010 12:05 AM

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/s92--lnQEnM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/s92--lnQEnM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

morphius 11-11-2010 01:11 PM

Well, Conans rating already took a nice dive, he is already behind Leno, Letterman and even Nightline in the ratings.

DaFace 11-11-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morphius (Post 7164719)
Well, Conans rating already took a nice dive, he is already behind Leno, Letterman and even Nightline in the ratings.

I don't think anyone expected him to keep up with network TV in the ratings. He's still well above average for cable, though he's got to level off in a hurry or things will start looking pretty bad.

kcxiv 11-11-2010 03:31 PM

all they give a **** about is the key demo's and he's beating the others in the key demo's.

The total viewers dont matter. its the 18-49 range that they care about. That was down 25 percent on his second day which beats the others.

tvbythenumbers and their charts got me a bit confused. lol, even so for a TBS basic cable, show is doing pretty damned good. We have to remember, Conan is still getting paid a shitload by NBC. lol

big nasty kcnut 11-12-2010 12:45 AM

julie bowen with an upskirt dang she was flashing some panty

Thig Lyfe 11-12-2010 12:54 AM

I'm glad Jon Dore is finally getting some recognition stateside. I chanced upon his Canadian TV show on IFC a while back and it is truly hilarious. He ought to be the next big star.

cardken 11-12-2010 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 7165905)
julie bowen with an upskirt dang she was flashing some panty

Yeah, hell of a pair of legs, she and Maria Bello are two "would you" thread worthy candidates.

Jawshco 11-12-2010 01:05 PM

Last night, with what was probably Conan's least star guest driven episode of the new series, was probably the funniest episode I've seen in awhile. Maybe the funniest since his old shows. His monologue with Kayne talking on the bottom left had me rolling the entire time. That was genius! And "Ghost" Andy during the local news round up was hilarious.

DaneMcCloud 11-12-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7164925)
We have to remember, Conan is still getting paid a shitload by NBC. lol

No, he's not.

The buyout happened six months ago. It included his yearly salary and the salary of his staffers.

He's on a new contract with TBS.

kcxiv 11-12-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7166612)
No, he's not.

The buyout happened six months ago. It included his yearly salary and the salary of his staffers.

He's on a new contract with TBS.

ooh, i didnt know they gave him a lump some, i figured it would be over a few years. its alot of money.

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2010 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 7166622)
ooh, i didnt know they gave him a lump some, i figured it would be over a few years. its alot of money.

NBC was contractually obligated to pay him as soon as they decided to fire him.

He received a $32 million dollar severance check and $12 million went to his staffers.

I think it would absolutely suck to move from New York to Los Angeles based on the premise that you'd have a job for years (if not decades) and be out of a job in 6 months. At least those people were compensated.

Deberg_1990 11-13-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7167758)
I think it would absolutely suck to move from New York to Los Angeles based on the premise that you'd have a job for years (if not decades) and be out of a job in 6 months. At least those people were compensated.

True.

BTW, is his new show back in NY or still in LA ?

DaneMcCloud 11-13-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7167776)
True.

BTW, is his new show back in NY or still in LA ?

It's filmed in Burbank on the Warner lot.

Silock 11-13-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 7165910)
I'm glad Jon Dore is finally getting some recognition stateside. I chanced upon his Canadian TV show on IFC a while back and it is truly hilarious. He ought to be the next big star.

Maybe it was just that set, but I thought he sucked ass.

JD10367 11-13-2010 01:51 PM

Conan was pretty low-key in his first week, but that's to be expected. Shaking the rust off, new network, trying to figure out what he can and can't do. Also, it should not be overlooked that this is his production company, and he's not getting paid a boatload by TBS, and I think that was reflected in the dearth of scripted expensive out-of-studio bits. In his first month on "The Tonight Show", he was roaming the neighborhood, harassing tram visitors, carrying a giant statue into the theater, etc.,. He doesn't have that kind of cash any more, probably.

I do agree that Ferguson is insane. I've liked him ever since he played the boss on "The Drew Carey Show". Ferguson truly plays around like a guy who wandered onto the set, got handed a hosting gig, and figures he might as well have fun until someone figures out he shouldn't be doing it, LOL.

Kimmel's another guy who's pretty decent, and slightly less annoying than he used to be.

Fallon's just too wishy-washy, but he's had some great bits.

I'd rank them:

1.) Ferguson
2.) Conan
3.) Kimmel
4.) Fallon
---big dropoff--
5.) Letterman
689.) Leno

KcMizzou 11-13-2010 04:21 PM

Ferguson's far and away my favorite. I was just watching him and Donald Glover on youtube last night. Great stuff.

Seems Craig's quite familiar with Don's mother.

Thig Lyfe 11-13-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 7167902)
Maybe it was just that set, but I thought he sucked ass.

You suck ass.

Silock 11-13-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SportsRacer (Post 7168298)
You suck ass.

No, YOU suck ass. That comeback was better than his whole set.

Mr. Flopnuts 11-13-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7167758)
NBC was contractually obligated to pay him as soon as they decided to fire him.

He received a $32 million dollar severance check and $12 million went to his staffers.

I read something that said the staffer compensation averaged something like, 60k each. That's not a ton of money for that kind of move, and then job loss IMHO.

DaFace 11-13-2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7168679)
I read something that said the staffer compensation averaged something like, 60k each. That's not a ton of money for that kind of move, and then job loss IMHO.

Depends on what they were making in the first place.

teedubya 11-13-2010 11:11 PM

60k isn't SHIT in L.A.

DaneMcCloud 11-14-2010 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 7168679)

Basically 10k per month per staffer until his new show started.

I'm sure that all 200 staffers that moved from New York to Los Angeles had a move allowance.

DaneMcCloud 11-14-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 7168782)
Depends on what they were making in the first place.

I'm sure they're all making $100k plus.

No one is going to pack up and move across country for less in this industry and many are union workers, guaranteeing their salaries.

Sure-Oz 11-17-2010 12:45 AM

Anyone watch Conan tonight? Anyone think Harrison Ford acts like he really doesnt want to be a guest on the show?? He was really non responsive and short with answers...i looked at some old youtube interviews wheres hes on conan and he pretty much acts the same.

CHENZ A! 11-17-2010 10:26 AM

Rosario Dawson looked smoking hot. Also seemed intelligent, and witty. I got a semi.
Posted via Mobile Device

DJ's left nut 11-17-2010 10:41 AM

I still think the 1 hour late night format is dead.

The Daily Show does it right.

first 8 minutes - monologue. Commercials. Next 8 minutes - bit (be it Stewart or one of his 'correspondants'). Commercials. Last 5 or 6 minutes - 'guest star'.

You don't get tired of it at any point and you end up wanting to see the next day. It's also so short that Stewart can do a really good job with the material he has.

Does anyone really care about the 2nd half hour of most of these shows? And as often as not, even if you do care, the 2nd half is painfully tedious schlock.

People have too many options anymore to dedicate an hour to Letterman, Leno or Conan.

Then again, I guess the networks have too much money and identity wrapped up in Leno or Letterman to scale them back. That said, as those guys retire, I think the networks would be better served to reformat the shows into 1/2 hour segments.

Silock 11-17-2010 06:00 PM

Ford looked like he was on ecstasy or something.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 7171655)
Basically 10k per month per staffer until his new show started.

I'm sure that all 200 staffers that moved from New York to Los Angeles had a move allowance.

THat's what I really respect about Conan.

Unless I'm getting this wrong, as I understand it, he really pushed NBC hard on making sure his staff got benefits. And I'm pretty sure his travelling tour was largely a way of keeping his staff working and paid as they waited for the dark period to be lifted.

Because I agree--people can say all they want about Conan getting paid (therefore not getting screwed), but his staff are working stiffs like most of us and NBC bent them over hard.

chiefzilla1501 11-17-2010 06:14 PM

I like that Conan is interacting with the crowd, Andy's funny again, and they're back to improvising. I also think his interviews have been hilarious so far. His interviews with Tom Hanks and Michael Cera in particular were amazing. I remember when Kimmel laid into Leno--Leno couldn't respond because his entire show is scripted. I appreciate that Conan's allowed to be spontaneous again.

What bothers me is that he's not good at monologues and yet since doing the Tonight Show, they seem to be getting longer and longer. And the skits in between aren't the random goofy shit he did on Late Night--interviews with Saddam, Triumph, the year 2000, etc.... They're sort of ho-hum.

I want him to do less monologue and a lot more of the goofy shit he did on Late Night. I really, really hope that he figures this out soon.

Direckshun 11-18-2010 01:05 AM

Question.

Why do they say at the top of the show, they say "today's episode..."

Is it just me, or does this episode never happen? Am I crazy?

Huffmeister 11-18-2010 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 7179091)
first 8 minutes - monologue. Commercials. Next 8 minutes - bit (be it Stewart or one of his 'correspondants'). Commercials. Last 5 or 6 minutes - 'guest star'.

I completely agree. I rarely even watch the first guest. The most entertaining parts for me are the monologue and the first bit. If I like the first guest, I'll watch, but otherwise I'll stop it and watch something else.

Kimmel's show has made a formatting change where they don't do the first bit between the monologue and the guest. He just does the monologue, goes to commercial, and comes back with his first guest. I used to really enjoy his show, but with no bit before the guest, I hardly watch the show at all anymore.

Direckshun 11-18-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7181200)
Question.

Why do they say at the top of the show, they say "today's episode..."

Is it just me, or does this episode never happen? Am I crazy?

Help.

DaFace 11-19-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7183062)
Help.

I don't think I understand your question.

Tribal Warfare 05-21-2013 10:10 PM

Did anyone see the Alice Eve segment tonight? Those titties of hers were hypnotizing.

KChiefer 05-21-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9699239)
Did anyone see the Alice Eve segment tonight? Those titties of hers were hypnotizing.

Thanks for the heads up. A while back I saw on the program guide that Kate Upton was to be on the show, but when I watched the ep, Tig Notaro was a guest and there was no Kate. I wondered if Kate canceled, the program info was messed up or it was some cruel joke by Tig.

Tribal Warfare 05-22-2013 08:21 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ywy9JEBbyuI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cabletech94 05-23-2013 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9701694)
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ywy9JEBbyuI?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

+1.

(and i would mos def put my D in her V)

MahiMike 05-23-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9699239)

I did. yes. I was wondering what the other chick w/the double mastectomy was thinking. She prolly wanted to fondle them as much as we did.

DJ's left nut 05-23-2013 01:37 PM

Wait.

Alice Eve is British?

And she's unquestionably #1 on 'my list' right now. Just a staggeringly good looking woman.

Tribal Warfare 06-09-2021 10:48 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Jack Black will be the final guest on Conan O&#39;Brien&#39;s TBS show. <a href="https://t.co/cRxnn9Gdf7">https://t.co/cRxnn9Gdf7</a> <a href="https://t.co/LAkYi36WcT">pic.twitter.com/LAkYi36WcT</a></p>&mdash; IGN (@IGN) <a href="https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1402505787759546369?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 9, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

lawrenceRaider 06-09-2021 11:14 AM

Should have gone with Alice Eve.

Mephistopheles Janx 06-09-2021 11:19 AM

Loved Conan on NBC but Conan on TBS was soft garbage.