ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Weather Crennel's defense yesterday: a '2-4' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=237962)

the Talking Can 12-06-2010 10:45 AM

Crennel's defense yesterday: a '2-4'

according to Petro we lined up frequently in a '2-4'

Dorsey and Gilberry as the 2 DL

with studebaker on the edge as a 3rd 'DL'...and McGraw lined up as a LB...

i don't remember the announcers ever mentioning it

but this is the kind of thing I love about Crennel...dude will do anything if it works...you can also see why that would be susceptible to the run

anyone notice this?

beach tribe 12-06-2010 10:50 AM

Yup. It's obvious that we were geared towards shutting down Orton, and the passing game because that's what they killed us with the last game. The only reason Mareno got the yards he did was because of this.
It's a 2-4-5 nickel package

Jive Ass 12-06-2010 10:50 AM

Can't really say I noticed it during the game, but it would certainly explain the holes on the run. Something seemed different, and I couldn't really tell what - but this makes me think. Could be.

Sully 12-06-2010 10:51 AM

We've had that type of nickel in every game.

Bowser 12-06-2010 10:53 AM

That would certainly explain why they were gashing us up the middle. Whomever was playing nose for us was getting absolutely destroyed on those run plays.

That being said, I'll give up 170 rushing yards to any runningback anytime if it means we keep the opponents out of the endzone all game long.

Mr. Laz 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

our defense isn't really good enough to play the run and pass equally. Crennal has to choose to emphasize one or the other each game. He constantly has to sub players in and out as well because many of our players are only good at one aspect.

Saul Good 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

Petro is dead on. We have a good enough defense to shut down the passing game at the expense of getting gashed in the running game. Romeo decided that the Broncos couldn't beat us by running, and he was right.

keg in kc 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

That's part of the reason the rushing yards don't bother me. Watching from home, they appeared to be completely geared to giving up short stuff between the twenties and then shutting Denver down in the scoring zone. They were not going to give up anything long. As much as I generally hate bend-but-don't break, it worked perfectly. That was probably the worst passing day Denver will have all year.

It was a really funny game in a way. We did everything we could to keep Denver in the game, mistakes in the red zone, dropping turnovers. That would have been a real heartbreaker to lose. One of those games that should be about 30-6 that ended up 10-6.

Deberg_1990 12-06-2010 10:54 AM

interesting. The strategy worked...thats all that matters.

ReynardMuldrake 12-06-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7231789)
That's part of the reason the rushing yards don't bother me. Watching from home, they appeared to be completely geared to giving up short stuff between the twenties and then shutting Denver down in the scoring zone. They were not going to give up anything long. As much as I generally hate bend-but-don't break, it worked perfectly. That was probably the worst passing day Denver will have all year.

It was a really funny game in a way. We did everything we could to keep Denver in the game, mistakes in the red zone, dropping turnovers. That would have been a real heartbreaker to lose. One of those games that should be about 30-6 that ended up 10-6.

It's nice to see them finding ways to win finally. Last year that game would have been a loss.

Radar Chief 12-06-2010 10:57 AM

I thought they mentioned it, called it the “ameba defense” or something like that.
I’ve been seeing teams like the Packers and Giants running it a lot lately.

Demonpenz 12-06-2010 10:58 AM

Carr played well.

mcaj22 12-06-2010 10:59 AM

This was the first time I saw this ran with Studebaker getting a glaring amount of playing time.

Usually Vrabel is in there when we run this and well... yea.

Chief Henry 12-06-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7231789)

It could have easily been 20-6 imo. I'll take the win and a chance at Sandy Eggo n Sunday. Our 8th win was not pretty - but just 3 weeks ago they lit us up. The defensive scheme worked and now we've got as many wins this year as we had the 3 previous years.

ROYC75 12-06-2010 11:14 AM

To be honest, the Denver coaching staff muffed this game. We gave them every chance to win and all they had to do was run it more. Then switch it up a little better.

Having an experienced QB like Manning or Brady to recognize the defense to call audibles is a plus.

KCSupersized 12-06-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Henry (Post 7231818)
It could have easily been 20-6 imo. I'll take the win and a chance at Sandy Eggo n Sunday. Our 8th win was not pretty - but just 3 weeks ago they lit us up. The defensive scheme worked and now we've got as many wins this year as we had the 3 previous years.

Not to be a dick, but we've won 10 games in the last three years combined.

2007 - 4
2008 - 2
2009 - 4

ROYC75 12-06-2010 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSupersized (Post 7231840)

2007 - 4
2008 - 2
2009 - 4

:spock: Uh, I think that is what he is saying.:doh!:

bobbything 12-06-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7231763)

but this is the kind of thing I love about Crennel...dude will do anything if it works...you can also see why that would be susceptible to the run

Shhhh...don't tell Saccopoo. He wants to continue believing that Dorsey was lining up in a 4-3 and getting abused.

KCSupersized 12-06-2010 11:19 AM

Last time I looked we've won 8.

bobbything 12-06-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beach tribe (Post 7231778)
Yup. It's obvious that we were geared towards shutting down Orton, and the passing game because that's what they killed us with the last game. The only reason Mareno got the yards he did was because of this.
It's a 2-4-5 nickel package

It's similar to what we did against Indy. I remember McGraw in there as a LB a lot in both games. It worked well because both coaches are so hellbent on passing the ball, that it took nearly 3/4ths of a game for them to figure out that they could run the ball on us with just about anyone in the backfield.

Fortunately, McDaniels wants Orton to go to the Pro Bowl so badly, that he folded his hand. Indy is simply a more talented version of Denver.

Nero's Neptune 12-06-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warispeace (Post 7231794)
It's nice to see them finding ways to win finally. Last year that game would have been a loss.

and 2 years ago, Herm Edwards would have lined up and done the exact same thing as he did in the first game against Denver.

This coaching staff really highlights how monumentally bad Herm was as an NFL head coach.... just terrible.

Chief Henry 12-06-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCSupersized (Post 7231840)

2007 - 4
2008 - 2
2009 - 4

We are now playing winning football and listening to "Haleys Comments" right now I'm pleased that Haley is not spewing out meaningless stats the way DV use too.

I'm still not happy with Haley not going for the FG on our first drive of the 2nd half. WOuld have put us up by 2 posessions and gave us points off a nice drive to start the 2nd half.

Chief Henry 12-06-2010 11:32 AM

[QUOTE=Nero's Neptune;7231871]and 2 years ago, Herm Edwards would have lined up and done the exact same thing as he did in the first game against Denver.

This coaching staff really highlights how monumentally bad Herm was as an NFL head coach.... just terrible.[/QUOTE]

Herm was a BRUTAL

the Talking Can 12-06-2010 11:36 AM

listening to Haley right now

interesting comments about the '4 down' mode

basically its an offensive scheme they decide on at the beginning of a series, and it has a specific set of plays they select from...he likes it because they 'get more runs'..

they were never not going to go for it on 4th down....my interpretation...

bobbything 12-06-2010 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7231904)

I don't know. They had the FG unit in a limbo area on the field for about 10 seconds before they came off. Could have just been gamesmanship though.

KCSupersized 12-06-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Henry (Post 7231882)
We are now playing winning football and listening to "Haleys Comments" right now I'm pleased that Haley is not spewing out meaningless stats the way DV use too.

I'm still not happy with Haley not going for the FG on our first drive of the 2nd half. WOuld have put us up by 2 posessions and gave us points off a nice drive to start the 2nd half.

I still can't grasp why he went for it. The team was making mistakes, and very emotional. IMO take the FG, and settle the guys down.

-King- 12-06-2010 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7231904)
listening to Haley right now

interesting comments about the '4 down' mode

basically its an offensive scheme they decide on at the beginning of a series, and it has a specific set of plays they select from...he likes it because they 'get more runs'..

Yeah they had a sound clip of him a few weeks ago. Soon as we crossed the 50, he was like "ok Matt, were in 4 down mode now". Going for it on 4th is determined way before the 4th down.
Posted via Mobile Device

King_Chief_Fan 12-06-2010 11:47 AM

will be interesting to see how they play this against SD. Oakland stopped Tolbert and played havoc with Rivers at the same time. Letting Tolbert run wild to stop Rivers could be painful.

Chiefnj2 12-06-2010 11:50 AM

[QUOTE=Chief Henry;7231890]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nero's Neptune (Post 7231871)
and 2 years ago, Herm Edwards would have lined up and done the exact same thing as he did in the first game against Denver.

This coaching staff really highlights how monumentally bad Herm was as an NFL head coach.... just terrible.[/QUOTE]

Herm was a BRUTAL

A few weeks ago Herm was criticizing Cleveland's coach for not being aggressive and for not playing to win against the Jets. I thought I was in bizzaro world.

CoMoChief 12-06-2010 12:00 PM

[QUOTE=Chiefnj2;7231955]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Henry (Post 7231890)

A few weeks ago Herm was criticizing Cleveland's coach for not being aggressive and for not playing to win against the Jets. I thought I was in bizzaro world.

He was prob reading a script written by ESPN.

Then when they cut to break, Herm ran into the bathroom and washed his mouth out w/ soap.

Frosty 12-06-2010 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 7231955)

Easy to say when you don't have any personal stake in the outcome.

Pitt Gorilla 12-06-2010 01:40 PM

Spinner!

Pushead2 12-06-2010 01:46 PM

[QUOTE=CoMoChief;7231981]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 7231955)

He was prob reading a script written by ESPN.

Then when they cut to break, Herm ran into the bathroom and washed his mouth out w/ soap.

ROFL

LiL stumppy 12-06-2010 01:52 PM

We have run the formation before... It is sort of like our Nickle or Dime.

salame 12-06-2010 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sully (Post 7231782)
We've had that type of nickel in every game.

this

Direckshun 12-06-2010 02:20 PM

I noticed that we dropped eight almost every single play.

Limiting the league-leader in passing yards to 117, total? That'll do it.

KChiefs1 12-06-2010 02:28 PM

Orton had less than 100 yards passing = win!

Chiefnj2 12-06-2010 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiL stumppy (Post 7232223)
We have run the formation before... It is sort of like our Nickle or Dime.

They play it a bunch. I always freak out watching it as I yell at the screen - "get some damn pressure on the QB!"

Chief Faithful 12-06-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 7232336)
I noticed that we dropped eight almost every single play.

Limiting the league-leader in passing yards to 117, total? That'll do it.

I suspect the reason Denver ran so frequently is because the Chiefs were playing to stop the pass. Normally, Denver will pass in the early downs to setup 3rd down. Yesterday, they ran in the early downs.

You know other defensive coordinators will take notice and force Denver to beat them with the run.

'Hamas' Jenkins 12-06-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the Talking Can (Post 7231763)

anyone notice this?

Yeah. It's pretty common among Belichick, too. His gameplan from SB XXV is in the HOF because he used a 1-5-5 defense, basically daring the Bills to run at them, and they were too ****ing stubborn to do it even though they had an elite line and a great RB.

Mr. Laz 12-06-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 7231803)
Carr played well.

yep ... i think he got the 'challenge' because Flowers was hurt and because Denver's WR's were such dicks when they stomped us earlier. I saw Carr do the "you can't see me" gesture yesterday for payback.

Hopefully this will be a breakthrough game just like it was a breakthrough game for our passing game in the denver loss.

HemiEd 12-06-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7231791)
interesting. The strategy worked...thats all that matters.

And to have a DC smart enough to understand what he needs to do, and implement it.

It so much better than what we have experienced the last decade or so.

I just have this sickening feeling, that this is the Chiefs only year with Crennel, as he gets another HC gig.

Chief Henry 12-06-2010 04:26 PM

[QUOTE=HemiEd;7232711]And to have a DC smart enough to understand what he needs to do, and implement it.

I just have this sickening feeling, that this is the Chiefs only year with Crennel, as he gets another HC gig.[/QUOTE]

Hush your mouth man.

Romeo did have a very good game plan Sunday. To think, just 3 weeks ago they gave up 49 points and being down 35 - 0 at one time. Just 3 weeks later his team and game plan keeps them out of the endzone. BRILLIANT.

Wyndex 12-06-2010 04:28 PM

Yeah I tried explaining to people that we completely shut down Orton..thanks in large part to a tremendous day by Carr and of course putting all of our eggs in that basket...the absolute only reason Moreno had a huge day was because we allowed it.

Basileus777 12-06-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 7232711)
I just have this sickening feeling, that this is the Chiefs only year with Crennel, as he gets another HC gig.

Romeo is 63 years old, has some had some health problems, and was a disaster as a HC in Cleveland. I doubt he's going to get another head coach gig.

The Franchise 12-06-2010 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 7232759)
Romeo is 63 years old, has some had some health problems, and was a disaster as a HC in Cleveland. I doubt he's going to get another head coach gig.

I honestly doubt he wants another head coaching gig.

Basileus777 12-06-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 7232680)
Yeah. It's pretty common among Belichick, too. His gameplan from SB XXV is in the HOF because he used a 1-5-5 defense, basically daring the Bills to run at them, and they were too ****ing stubborn to do it even though they had an elite line and a great RB.

It's an achilles heal of many high powered passing offenses. It's using their own arrogance against them and forcing them to cede their own abilities for the betterment of the team, and they almost never do it.

The Giants did it to the Bills, the Pats did it to the Rams, the Saints did it to the Colts, the Giants did it to the Pats etc.

It happens over and over and over again. History repeats itself. When you are playing against a guy like Peyton, or a coach like Martz etc, you play against their ego as well.

They are way too egotistical to run the ball for 4 quarters to win the game. They believe in their own ability way too much to do that. And that's why it works.

Mr. Laz 12-06-2010 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 7232711)
And to have a DC smart enough to understand what he needs to do, and implement it.

That's just the Chiefs doom and gloom jinx coming out in you. :)

It wasn't long ago that Crennel bombed as a head coach in cleveland and we know from New England that Pioli doesn't jack around with other team trying to **** with his personal.

I think both weis and crennel will be here for 2/3 maybe even 4 years unless we win a super bowl.