ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto So I'm Whacking The Popcorn Ceiling. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=244152)

Dinny Bossa Nova 04-20-2011 12:37 PM

So I'm Whacking The Popcorn Ceiling.

Heaven help me.

I have never ever not one time in my life applied drywall compound to any surface at all ever.

I picked a small room to start with and practice. Sraped the cottage cheese off dry and sanded. Did a skim coat on low spots and sanded. Did another skim coat and sanded. I had an easier time smearing on a skim coat when i watered down the mud.

It takes me a long time because just a few minutes on a ladder hurts my back so bad I have to sit down and cry for a while. Then I get back at it when I'm finished crying.

So anyway, I think this practice room is about ready for paint. It looks real good. So good that I want to do the rest of the house, no matter how bad it hurts.

Hoping over-head has some tips to help me along. Or giggling at me for what I've gotten myself into.

Dinny

Saul Good 04-20-2011 12:41 PM

IMO, few things date a house like popcorn ceilings. I can't stand them. Next, you'll have to ditch the brass fixtures.

Iowanian 04-20-2011 12:41 PM

I've knocked quite a bit of popcorn off of ceilings.

I use a spray bottle to mist/dampen it, let it sit for a minute and then scrape it with a wide drywall mud knife.

gblowfish 04-20-2011 12:41 PM

Is whacking how the ceiling got popcorned in the first place???

Fire Me Boy! 04-20-2011 12:41 PM

I'm pretty sure this should be labeled NSFW.

chasedude 04-20-2011 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 7579263)
I'm pretty sure this should be labeled NSFW.

After reading the thread title I thought this was the kids new slang for fapping! LMAO

ClevelandBronco 04-20-2011 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 7579259)

I use a spray bottle to mist/dampen it, let it sit for a minute and then scrape it with a wide drywall mud knife.

Next time, Dinny, this is the method.

Donger 04-20-2011 01:03 PM

One of my brothers was going to do this himself until he heard that some of the early stuff contains asbestos.

tooge 04-20-2011 01:07 PM

whacking the popcorn is one way to put it I guess. We always called it whacking the monkey

Dinny Bossa Nova 04-20-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

This is what I have planned for my next act.

I still have a few spots left in the practice room. I am typically a perfectionist, (I have agressive/repulsive disorder) so I am figuring the paint will expose little imperfections more than hide them.

I absolutely love the way it looks already. I can't stand the popcorn anymore.

We are going to do some new floors, so I want to do this first.

VIVA LA POPCORN WHACK!!!

Dinny

Brock 04-20-2011 01:09 PM

Whoever thought that shit up needs beaten to death.

Los Pollos Hermanos 04-20-2011 01:13 PM

Our house is only 8 years old and it has popcorn ceilings. I thought that shit went the way of the dodo back in 1986.

We've scraped all the bedrooms and bathrooms. Only the living room and kitchen left.

penguinz 04-20-2011 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7579350)
Whoever thought that shit up needs beaten to death.

I would kill whoever thought up knockdown texture for walls first.

My house was built in 78 and the whole upstairs has this crap on the walls.

Dinny Bossa Nova 04-20-2011 01:30 PM

It would be easier if the house was empty.

The boss isn't happy about moving things and the mess. That and she's an extreme instant gratificationist.

I am literally against all odds. Or something like that.

Dinny

mikeyis4dcats. 04-20-2011 02:01 PM

be careful, a lot of acoustical textured "popcorn" finish contains asbestos.

Get it pretty wet with a spray bottle and scrape it off.

CrazyPhuD 04-20-2011 02:13 PM

Setting the ceiling on fire would have been faster and less painful.

Fish 04-20-2011 03:12 PM

Don't forget to apply a liberal amount of beer. That always helps with the removal...

Chiefnj2 04-20-2011 03:29 PM

Drop the ceiling and re-sheetrock.

nstygma 04-20-2011 03:39 PM

i'm going through the same thing.
my largest room had paint over the popcorn, so the water/soak/scrape method only got about 50% of the old material off, leaving a rough surface
the other unpainted ceilings were a breeze
thinking about using this product, no sanding required (thanks Over-Head)
http://specializedbuildingproducts.c...20submital.pdf

Iowanian 04-20-2011 04:01 PM

If you do it right with the spray bottle, it will look a lot like orange peel texture.

At Dinny's age, he doesn't have to worry about asbestos anyway....

Bugeater 04-20-2011 04:40 PM

Quote:

This works great as long as it hasn't been painted. The good thing is that the shit is impossible to brush and roll so it rarely is.

SLAG 04-20-2011 04:42 PM

So what do you do with the ceiling after you knock off the popcorn - leave it flat and paint it?

Bugeater 04-20-2011 04:47 PM

Oh yeah, speaking of paint, make sure to use flat paint on the ceiling when you're done, it's more forgiving of surface imperfections.

Los Pollos Hermanos 04-20-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLAG (Post 7579915)
So what do you do with the ceiling after you knock off the popcorn - leave it flat and paint it?

Retexture it and then paint it.

nstygma 04-20-2011 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 7579843)
If you do it right with the spray bottle, it will look a lot like orange peel texture.

At Dinny's age, he doesn't have to worry about asbestos anyway....

in my rooms with popcorn texture only, the water/scrape took it down to plain drywall and taped seams(like the vid). the painted room was terrible

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6Tf8NbEaRps" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rooster 04-21-2011 08:44 AM

My house is only 11 years old and it has that shit throughout. I would love to remove it because it is so outdated but the mess involved makes me very hesitant.

txhawk 04-21-2011 08:54 AM

I did ours a few years ago...I did a dry method, whereas I scraped at a 30 degree angle and knocked down the high spots. Wiped it down with a damp rag to remove the dust, then painted a few coats. This eliminated the need for skim coating and sanding. It also left what looks like an orange peel texture. It looks really good, I must say.

Regarding the mess, it will be messy, but I found the best way to contain it is really quite simple. Obviously plastic the floor and furniture, but you can catch nearly 90% of all the falling "popcorn texture" when you scrape by simply having the lid to a case of printer paper. Turn the lid upside down so it acts like a tray with raised edges, and keep it relatively close to the ceiling when scraping, all the texture falls directly into the tray. Very easy and kept mess at a minimum.

PRIEST 04-21-2011 09:16 AM

Just went through this ahhhhhh went back with a Knock down finish, hell to paint but looks up to date. Crows foot in bathrooms.

http://www.drywallschool.com/textures.htm

MOhillbilly 04-21-2011 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 7579928)
Oh yeah, speaking of paint, make sure to use flat paint on the ceiling when you're done, it's more forgiving of surface imperfections.

for all ceilings?

most of mines the 1ft sq fiber board.

Im gettin ready to paint the inside of my place. Its IDK the walls are anywhere from 40-80+ year old brown wood board.

I wanna lighten the rooms up.
thoughts?

rageeumr 04-21-2011 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txhawk (Post 7581346)
I did ours a few years ago...I did a dry method, whereas I scraped at a 30 degree angle and knocked down the high spots. Wiped it down with a damp rag to remove the dust, then painted a few coats. This eliminated the need for skim coating and sanding. It also left what looks like an orange peel texture. It looks really good, I must say.

Regarding the mess, it will be messy, but I found the best way to contain it is really quite simple. Obviously plastic the floor and furniture, but you can catch nearly 90% of all the falling "popcorn texture" when you scrape by simply having the lid to a case of printer paper. Turn the lid upside down so it acts like a tray with raised edges, and keep it relatively close to the ceiling when scraping, all the texture falls directly into the tray. Very easy and kept mess at a minimum.

I might have to try this in a small room and see how it looks. The thing that has kept me from doing this throughout my house is the PITA of masking all walls and floor. I was going to go back with a knock-down finish on the ceiling anyway, so if I can dry scrape it and make it look like something, that might be the answer.

Iowanian 04-21-2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7581410)
for all ceilings?

most of mines the 1ft sq fiber board.

Im gettin ready to paint the inside of my place. Its IDK the walls are anywhere from 40-80+ year old brown wood board.

I wanna lighten the rooms up.
thoughts?

If you're painting over paneling, hit it with a coat of Kilz first to seal it in, then primer/paint so the stain doesn't bleed through.

I've also seen guys mud the ribs to smooth coat the wall for a quick, cheap fix.

I've helped cobble a lot of rentals over the years and that is the type of stuff we did to update a house but low cost.

MOhillbilly 04-21-2011 09:57 AM

any particular kind of kilz? i want the shit to soak in 1st coat.

Bugeater 04-21-2011 12:33 PM

Are we talking about the typical smooth finished paneling?

B-I-N is about the best primer out there for that, you can throw that stuff onto pretty much anything and it will stick. But it's shellac-based and kinda hard to work with.

Original Kilz is the very good, but you'll be short a few brain cells by the time you're done with it. Use a respirator and have as much ventilation as possible if you go that route.

If it was me, I'd use the Kilz2, it's water based and much more pleasant to work with, but it's just not as good as the original. Make sure the surface is as clean as possible and thoroughly scuff if it's glossy.

And yes, I always used flat paints for all ceilings unless a customer specified otherwise, and even then I tried to talk them out of it.

Easy 6 04-21-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas (Post 7579360)
Our house is only 8 years old and it has popcorn ceilings. I thought that shit went the way of the dodo back in 1986.

We've scraped all the bedrooms and bathrooms. Only the living room and kitchen left.

Is that Rob Riggle in your av?

Los Pollos Hermanos 04-21-2011 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 7581871)
Is that Rob Riggle in your av?

Yes.

MOhillbilly 04-21-2011 12:39 PM

thanks bug

BIN is hard to work with because?

Easy 6 04-21-2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas (Post 7581874)
Yes.

Cool, i love that guy, steals every scene he's in in 'Stepbrothers', didnt know he was a Chiefs fan, he's gotta be the funniest Marine Lt. Col to have ever existed.

Is that you interviewing him?

Bugeater 04-21-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly (Post 7581877)
thanks bug

BIN is hard to work with because?

It has a lot of 'bite' to it, so it grabs on to the surface and is hard to spread out. But that bite is what makes it a great primer. And buy cheap rollers and brushes because you'll be throwing them out when you're done.

Los Pollos Hermanos 04-21-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 7581880)
Cool, i love that guy, steals every scene he's in in 'Stepbrothers', didnt know he was a Chiefs fan, he's gotta be the funniest Marine Lt. Col to have ever existed.

Is that you interviewing him?

Yes, that's me. You can call me Clark. Or Mr. Hunt. :)

Riggle grew up in Overland Park.

Easy 6 04-21-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas (Post 7581890)
Yes, that's me. You can call me Clark. Or Mr. Hunt. :)

Riggle grew up in Overland Park.

Doh! couldnt tell that was ol Clarkie.

You sure you arent Rob?

Los Pollos Hermanos 04-21-2011 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scott free (Post 7581895)
Doh! couldnt tell that was ol Clarkie.

You sure you arent Rob?

I'm not.

I'm Paul Rudd.

http://blog.mitchellandness.com/imag...FPAUL+RUDD.JPG

Easy 6 04-21-2011 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsfansofDallas (Post 7581898)

Thats killer, always heard you were a Chiefs fan.

What an outstanding career you're having.

Best wishes dude.

Iowanian 04-21-2011 03:39 PM

You know how I know you're gay? You're playing pocket pool while you hold another man's jersey.

007 08-26-2011 03:13 PM

shananagans.

Ecto-I 08-26-2011 03:20 PM

ROFL
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 7582323)
You know how I know you're gay? You're playing pocket pool while you hold another man's jersey.

keg in kc 08-26-2011 03:26 PM

Whacking the popcorn ceiling sounds like something to do with genital warts.

vailpass 08-26-2011 03:36 PM

I didn't think I could do drywall either but it turns out to be super easy.
Everything you need is at Home Depot.
They are usually standing around in groups in the parking lot.

Earthling 08-26-2011 04:06 PM

For the primer/sealer I highly recommend Windsor Bullseye. I personally think it seals better than Kilz, which I used exclusively until I tried the Bullseye. It comes in oil or water based as well. (I like the water cleanup so i try to use the water based whenever possible.)

Contrarian 08-26-2011 04:51 PM

You can get a solution to add to the water or use vinegar and dilute the water for spraying the ceiling. Then use an 8 inch knife to scrape off. Once you have it all off then do it for a second time and sand with a sanding pole.

You want to let it dry then prime the ceiling with a primer. I use Sherwin Williams Pro Prime it's water based, no need to apply an oil base primer unless you want to use respirators the rest of the way. I always add a couple squirts of black to the primer so it's gray and you can see imperfections easily. Plus when you spray your texture on you can see your pattern to keep it even.

Mud your imperfections, clean up with a sanding sponge, and start spraying texture on it.

nstygma 08-26-2011 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 7853093)
For the primer/sealer I highly recommend Windsor Bullseye. I personally think it seals better than Kilz, which I used exclusively until I tried the Bullseye. It comes in oil or water based as well. (I like the water cleanup so i try to use the water based whenever possible.)

are you talking about Zinsser Bullseye?

vailpass 08-26-2011 04:53 PM

You guys do realize that when you perform this sort of labor for yourself you are taking work away from people who are taking work away from Americans?

nstygma 08-26-2011 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7853165)
You guys do realize that when you perform this sort of labor for yourself you are taking work away from people who are taking work away from Americans?

whenever i take work away from people who are taking work away from americans, i get a warm feeling inside. is that the feeling of patriotism?

MIAdragon 08-26-2011 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7853016)
I didn't think I could do drywall either but it turns out to be super easy.
Everything you need is at Home Depot.
They are usually standing around in groups in the parking lot.

http://www.malwaresite.org/forums/attac...2t41qivswu.gif

Dunit35 02-19-2013 03:07 PM

I'm wanting to do this to my house. For some reason, previous owners only removed the master bedroom, den, and the bathrooms of popcorn ceiling. I know how to remove the popcorn. Its the steps i take after removal, to retexture. Anyone care to give me instructions?

penguinz 02-19-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 9416035)
I'm wanting to do this to my house. For some reason, previous owners only removed the master bedroom, den, and the bathrooms of popcorn ceiling. I know how to remove the popcorn. Its the steps i take after removal, to retexture. Anyone care to give me instructions?

Don;t retexture. Just patch any bad spots, sand smooth and paint.

ptlyon 02-19-2013 03:29 PM

Something about whacking, popcorn, & ceiling made me enter this thread.

/leaving

Groves 02-19-2013 03:42 PM

I was hoping for a Dinny sighting.

Spott 02-19-2013 03:54 PM

Never had a problem with popcorn ceilings but knock down ones do look nice. Taking the popcorn off is a huge mess, though.

Pepe Silvia 02-19-2013 03:55 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-EbAvq45Quh...s1600/what.gif

htismaqe 02-19-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9416076)

/leaving

Yeah, I was hoping for so much more when I clicked on this thread...

ExtremeChief 02-19-2013 03:59 PM

Zinsser B-I-N is great stuff. You can paint over oil base paint and get adherence if you use it.

I have the damn popcorn on my ceilings as well with the added touch of ****ing glitter. Awesome.

Dunit35 02-19-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinz (Post 9416072)
Don;t retexture. Just patch any bad spots, sand smooth and paint.

I want to give it a look compared to my den. The ceiling in there looks great.

Radar Chief 02-19-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 9416076)

/leaving

That and I hadn’t seen Dinny Blues forever.

Iowanian 02-19-2013 04:46 PM

Then do what I said, smooth in where you dig too deep and paint it.

Once the popcorn is down, you can always hit it with some knockdown.

Bugeater 02-19-2013 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 9416035)

My instructions would be not to try to do that yourself.

stevieray 02-19-2013 06:14 PM

I just finished removing 3000 sq ft of popcorn ceiling.