ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox's 'Terra Nova' (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=245180)

keg in kc 05-16-2011 09:09 PM

Fox's 'Terra Nova'

Can't believe we don't have a thread on this (maybe we did, search was fruitless...), it's the Spielberg dino show that finally hits this fall. Been keeping an eye on this one since it was announced.

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1545148137" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=946319260001&playerId=1545148137&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="326" height="292" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

KcMizzou 05-16-2011 09:20 PM

I take it we've worn out earth, and the escape route isn't to another planet, but a one way time travel portal? Start all over, but we don't get to choose when?

Right or wrong, I'm interested.

Deberg_1990 05-17-2011 09:22 PM

This thing seems like its been delayed forever....I smell a bust.

Spielberg doesnt do TV Sci-Fi very well......See Seaquest DSV....

Frosty 05-18-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7646000)

It doesn't help that it is on Fox. Prepare for it to be handled badly and then get dropped on its head once it finally gets interesting.

ShowtimeSBMVP 09-26-2011 12:56 PM

Well anyone gonna watch it tonight? Looks good gonna DVR it.

keg in kc 09-26-2011 01:08 PM

I'm dvr'ing it but reviews are mixed at best. Hopefully it ends up being good in time, but it's Fox. They'll cancel it anyway.

sd4chiefs 09-26-2011 01:26 PM

I'll record it and then watch it later like I did with this summer's Falling Skies by FF thru all the Bla, Bla, Bla, stuff and just watch the 5 to 10 minutes of action.

Pants 09-26-2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

I loved Seaquest DSV.

:(

Of course I was like 9 years old so it didn't take much to impress me.

KevB 09-26-2011 02:47 PM

I have it set to DVR. I'm hopeful, as there isn't much new stuff this season I think I'll follow through the season.

DaKCMan AP 09-26-2011 03:01 PM

Will watch On Demand at a later date.

Frazod 09-26-2011 03:18 PM

I might give it a look, if I remember. I certainly don't give a shit about the MNF game.

Deberg_1990 09-26-2011 03:19 PM

Ill give it a shot.

Valiant 09-26-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

That show was great.. Most people didn't give it a chance..

CoMoChief 09-26-2011 09:29 PM

Avatar meets Jurassic Park no thanks.

IIRC it stars one of the main actors from Avatar too (the hot headed military general).

WhiteWhale 09-26-2011 09:38 PM

I haven't watched this show but I will later tonight only because I'm a dino-nut, but can anyone explain why the flaming blue **** people would intentionally travel back to the cretaceous period?

Basically the most vicious predators in the history of earth lived in that period. Plus, why would you travel back before the KT event? I don't think fruited plants even EXISTED in the cretaceous. What would you eat? Dinosaurs? You have competition, and they're better than you. I mean, of all the prehistoric times to travel back to that would be the dumbest choice evar.

Barrymore50 09-26-2011 10:12 PM

No matter if it's good or not, if it's on FOX, it won't make it through the season. They'll be disappointed with it's ratings, move it to Friday night and kaboom.

Huffmeister 09-26-2011 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 7946266)
Avatar meets Jurassic Park no thanks.

IIRC it stars one of the main actors from Avatar too (the hot headed military general).

Yup, that's the same guy. He also played Ike Clanton in Tombstone ("Law don't go around here!).

keg in kc 09-26-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 7946302)
I haven't watched this show but I will later tonight only because I'm a dino-nut, but can anyone explain why the flaming blue **** people would intentionally travel back to the cretaceous period?

Basically the most vicious predators in the history of earth lived in that period. Plus, why would you travel back before the KT event? I don't think fruited plants even EXISTED in the cretaceous. What would you eat? Dinosaurs? You have competition, and they're better than you. I mean, of all the prehistoric times to travel back to that would be the dumbest choice evar.

I believe I read somewhere that they don't have a choice, that the wormhole is locked and they don't have any control over the endpoint. It's basically go wherever the wormhole sends them or die. But I haven't watched so no earthly idea.

Buck 09-26-2011 11:25 PM

Damnit, I was hoping someone would have posted a positive or negative review by now so I knew whether or not to watch it. I guess I'll go first and report back when I'm done.

Buck 09-26-2011 11:34 PM

22nd century. The world is on the brink of environmental collapse.

That's the first thing shown on the show. I'm guessing they'll die if they don't go back.

Buck 09-26-2011 11:43 PM

Barrack Obama on the $1000 bill lol.

Buck 09-27-2011 12:16 AM

I am halfway through. So far it seems way too family friendly.

Buck 09-27-2011 01:14 AM

I'll give the opening episode 7.5 stars out of 10.

The 2nd half was much better, a lot more violent.

I really like mystery shows, and I am a fan of shows/movies that are about building a civilization. This one has both.

To me it felt like they were trying to probably grab fans of other recent scifi shows (duh). The Sixers felt like Cylons and the Dinosaurs feel like Reavers.

That first episode had a lot of family stuff, and while I think the daughter is sort of cute, I don't really give a shit about her (yet). I think they might have thrown extra family stuff in to draw in a different audience. It sort of annoyed me that the son picked up a light machine gun and used it flawlessly. Also, while the Mom and Dad are on a mission to find the son who is in danger, they reflect on their past zany relationship. Stupid. I like realism in drama shows.

I definitely liked it more than I thought I would. Commander Taylor is a G, and it seems like he might have some kind of dark past. The stuff about his son intrigues me, I wonder who is playing that role and if we'll see him any time soon.

To sum it up some stuff I would like to see more of: Sixers tension, Taylor's history, maybe some stuff about contacting the other side (2149 world).

Some stuff I want to see less of: Family stuff, dinosaurs, shitty CG graphics.

007 09-27-2011 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huffmeister (Post 7946486)
Yup, that's the same guy. He also played Ike Clanton in Tombstone ("Law don't go around here!).

I'll have to go back and watch that again.

Deberg_1990 09-27-2011 05:10 AM

I liked a lot more than I thought I would. Who knows how it will evolve, but last nights show was definately aiming for the family demographic. I pretty much feel the same as buck above. I did like how the sons love interest wasn't just a pretty face. She was tough as nails hardened by her Dad who had died previously.oh and Stephen Lang is badass. Basically plays a softer version of his character from Avatar.

ShowtimeSBMVP 09-27-2011 05:33 AM

Good show fox has a keeper.

Deberg_1990 09-27-2011 08:07 AM

One thing i did sort of question....What form of government did this new world have? The only leadership i saw was the Commander Taylor (Stephen Langs) character. Is this place a dictatorship?

Frazod 09-27-2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7946596)

He was also Pickett in Gettysburg.

Valiant 09-27-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7946596)

Prepare for awe. I was in avatar when I noticed it was the chubby guy from tombstone. Well cubby compared to now.

KcFanInGA 09-27-2011 11:11 AM

I watched the premier after work last night...and I was very impressed. It didn't feel cheesy...nice balance of drama and action...and multiple storylines beginning to open up IMHO. There is a bit of mystery also...and as someone said...yes..commander taylor is a G! One on one face off with a carnosaur? nice. Anyway..that's my thirty second review.

Deberg_1990 09-27-2011 11:31 AM

Stephen Lang has been around since the 80's. He was a Michael Mann regular back in the day. He just didnt really break out until Avatar.

Valiant 09-27-2011 07:27 PM

One of those equations looked like supermans logo..

Brock 09-27-2011 07:52 PM

I'll continue to give it a chance, but I'm not really impressed at this point.

WhiteWhale 09-27-2011 08:09 PM

Meh.

I'd love to know how they set up that HUGE community though. Seems like it would have been difficult with all the workers being eaten.

Pablo 09-27-2011 09:43 PM

I'll concur with Buck.

A little too family friendly for my liking; and I'm most interested in the Taylor/son/rock art angle of the show at this point.

I'll keep DVR'ing it.

007 09-27-2011 09:49 PM

Cracks me up all you guys that don't like family friendly shows. There are so few of them out there I appreciate it when one at least tries to be FF.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 09-28-2011 08:43 AM

no one on this show can act - it is atrocious. Come on.

Bob Dole 09-28-2011 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 7948400)
Meh.

I'd love to know how they set up that HUGE community though. Seems like it would have been difficult with all the workers being eaten.

The guy mentioned that the jungle was "survivable" when they went to look for the kids, and indicated he'd made it like 180 days or something OTG.

CosmicPal 09-28-2011 08:52 AM

I expected to be Wow'd, but instead I was bored. The acting is terrible. The story doesn't make any sense. And none of it was compelling enough to aspire me to keep watching.

I thought this would be the next Lost. But where Lost got off to a rousing start with a plane crash on the island and set the tone for that series, Terra Nova just seemed to try too hard to be captivating; and instead, it fell completely flat for me.

I hope the rest of you find enjoyment in it though. It just didn't do anything for me.

ottawa_chiefs_fan 09-28-2011 01:50 PM

They lost me when the doctor was attending to the seriously injured girl who was just attacked by a dinosaur and she took the time to stand up and walk over to her husband (while surrounded in the dark by dinosaurs) and apologize for some inane thing that she said to him. OMG - that was absolutely brain-numbing writing. at least wait until you are back in the safety of camp to have that conversation! I have a hard time even envisioning how that played out on the set??! and no one said WTF??!?!? this timing makes no sense???? come the **** on....

keg in kc 09-28-2011 01:57 PM

I've only watched the first 5 minutes, but already I'm not impressed. It's every post-apocalyptic cliche ever, which would be okay if they found a unique or creative way to present it. Rather than, you know, superimposing text over bad CGI. Although even that can be done well by the right people (say, the first five minutes of both Mass Effect games). I hope it gets better.

ShowtimeSBMVP 09-28-2011 02:08 PM

The two-hour premiere of Fox’s dinosaur drama Terra Nova drew a 3.0/7 and 9 million viewers, which was OK but slightly below expectations. In its defense, the male-skewing drama had to face the Washington-Dallas Monday Night Football game on ESPN. And it stayed consistent throughout the night, logging a 3.0 rating at 8 PM, 8:30 PM and 9 PM and climbing to a 3.1 at 9:30 PM. Speaking of the MNF game, it drew a 11.9 metered market household average. UPDATE: In the finals, Terra Nova was adjusted up to a 3.1 rating in 18-49.

Deberg_1990 09-28-2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 7950285)
The two-hour premiere of Fox’s dinosaur drama Terra Nova drew a 3.0/7 and 9 million viewers, which was OK but slightly below expectations. In its defense, the male-skewing drama had to face the Washington-Dallas Monday Night Football game on ESPN. And it stayed consistent throughout the night, logging a 3.0 rating at 8 PM, 8:30 PM and 9 PM and climbing to a 3.1 at 9:30 PM. Speaking of the MNF game, it drew a 11.9 metered market household average. UPDATE: In the finals, Terra Nova was adjusted up to a 3.1 rating in 18-49.

Ill never understand this antiquated Nielson system....

007 09-28-2011 03:26 PM

Everybody is a critic these days. the show was fine for what it was.

keg in kc 09-28-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7950559)
Everybody is a critic these days. the show was fine for what it was.

Opinion and fact are not the same thing.

(yes, this reply has multiple meanings)

WhiteWhale 09-28-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 7949258)
The guy mentioned that the jungle was "survivable" when they went to look for the kids, and indicated he'd made it like 180 days or something OTG.

Oh sure those kids could have survived by staying in the car, but apparently armored Cars in the future shipped to the past are made of plastic. One of our modern day armored Cars would have just gotten some scratches and dents from those things... at worst.

I'm actually talking about building that ENORMOUS compound.

Deberg_1990 09-28-2011 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 7950992)
Oh sure those kids could have survived by staying in the car, but apparently armored Cars in the future shipped to the past are made of plastic. One of our modern day armored Cars would have just gotten some scratches and dents from those things... at worst.

I'm actually talking about building that ENORMOUS compound.

Whats funny is, those kids had been there for years and had probably gone outside the compound numerious times. So the first time the main characters kid shows up and decides to go with is when they get into trouble? heh, im sure we could all tear this show apart if we wanted to. Numerious contrived situations, and cliches.......it is what it is. A family sci-Fi show, made to please 4 quadrants. Its not meant to be serious Sci-Fi.

Silock 09-29-2011 04:57 AM

Just watched it. Not bad. Writing felt a lot like Smallville to me. Lots of cheesy, non-sensical crap mixed in with some intriguing plotlines.

I'll give it a shot.

big nasty kcnut 09-30-2011 05:42 PM

Saw it but one question how the heck did they had that kid in the backpack and didn't make a sound.

Deberg_1990 10-05-2011 07:49 AM

Watched the 2nd episode last night. Not sure how much longer i will continue to watch. I felt like i was watching a bad episode of something on the SyFy channel....Attack of the prehistoric birds! Oh noes!!

The writing and characters are all dumbed down for teen appeal IMO. The only thing i really truly like about the show is Stephen Lang.

Fish 10-05-2011 08:51 AM

Yeah... that second episode was rather lousy.

This series kinda feels like Earth 2....

vailpass 10-05-2011 10:43 AM

LOL at grown men critiquing a family show for innacuracies and scientific improbabilities. My little boys think it is entertaining, at least so far. They want more dinos.

Deberg_1990 10-05-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7969363)
My little boys think it is entertaining, at least so far. They want more dinos.

Thats cool....its obvious thats the intended target audience. I just prefer something with a little more edge.

keg in kc 10-05-2011 10:58 AM

Yeah, you definitely can't have accurate science on a family show. That's like unpossible or something.

vailpass 10-05-2011 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7969395)
Yeah, you definitely can't have accurate science on a family show. That's like unpossible or something.

We enjoy plenty of that on Discovery, NatGeo, PBS, etc. That doesn't mean there is no room for shows that are for fun. School is very intense for kids these days, a little fun for fun's sake is a good thing IMHO.

vailpass 10-05-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 7969375)
Thats cool....its obvious thats the intended target audience. I just prefer something with a little more edge.

I hear you. There is definetely no edge on TN, it's all pretty well rounded off.

BigRichard 10-05-2011 01:07 PM

The little bird trying to force itself in the door when the son was closing it was just horrible. Oh noes, I can't overpower a bird that by the looks of it weighs maybe 20 pounds. That was bad.

keg in kc 10-05-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7969426)
We enjoy plenty of that on Discovery, NatGeo, PBS, etc. That doesn't mean there is no room for shows that are for fun. School is very intense for kids these days, a little fun for fun's sake is a good thing IMHO.

Yeah, because scientific accuracy can't possibly be fun.

Bob Dole 10-05-2011 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7969426)
School is very intense for kids these days, a little fun for fun's sake is a good thing IMHO.

What with learnings their goes-into and times stuffs?

007 10-05-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 7969363)
LOL at grown men critiquing a family show for innacuracies and scientific improbabilities. My little boys think it is entertaining, at least so far. They want more dinos.

THIS JFC
Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7969395)

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7969761)

Not every show has to be historically or scientifically accurate. Why are you even paying attention to this thread if the show sucks that much for you?

keg in kc 10-05-2011 02:24 PM

I haven't watched the show, and I haven't said anywhere that it sucks.

What I'm laughing at is the idea that things can't be both entertaining and smart. It's not like there's some switch somewhere that toggles between "fun and dumb" and "intelligent and boring".

Jesus christ.

007 10-05-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7969990)
I haven't watched the show, and I haven't said anywhere that it sucks.

What I'm laughing at is the idea that things can't be both entertaining and smart. It's not like there's some switch somewhere that toggles between "fun and dumb" and "intelligent and boring".

Jesus christ.

uhhh, ok.

vailpass 10-05-2011 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 7969895)
What with learnings their goes-into and times stuffs?

:D Yep, and their cipherin' and letter spellin' and what not.

Homework starts in first grade now and gets heavier with each grade. High schools look at your grades and ECs starting in 6th grade.
Speaking only for myself that is more intense than when I was a kid so I try to balance that out for them by leaving time for plain old fun and goofing off.

vailpass 10-05-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7969761)

Real science is a ton of fun but not everything has to be scientifically valid to be enjoyable is the point I was trying to make.

keg in kc 10-05-2011 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7970022)
uhhh, ok.

I didn't realize I needed your permission to have an opinion on entertainment in general. Should I start passing all my posts your way before I hit enter just to make sure they meet your approval?

My point: things do not have to be innacurate, do not have to be wrong, to be good, and expecting producers and writers to do a little footwork (let's call it homework), a bare modicum of research into whatever they're doing is not suddenly going to turn a "family show" into a history channel documentary. What it is going to do is draw a wider audience. Because suddenly you have a show that kids and adults can both watch. Which is something I'd imagine any network would like in prime time.

This is not a statement about Terra Nova, this is a statement about television in general, and a problem that I see all over the place. People are programmed to settle for less when they should be expecting more.

And as far as "family shows" go, "family shows" are great. What's not great is labeling something a "family show" as a way to excuse lazy writing, poor production or in any other way justifying its existence by going down the "well, it's not that good, but kids can watch it" route. Which happens all the freaking time.

Treat kids like they're smart, and they will be. It'll be good for everyone in the long run.

That's my opinion at least.

Assuming I'm actually allowed to have one.

007 10-05-2011 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7643862)
Can't believe we don't have a thread on this (maybe we did, search was fruitless...), it's the Spielberg dino show that finally hits this fall. Been keeping an eye on this one since it was announced.

<embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f8/1545148137" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=946319260001&playerId=1545148137&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://console.brightcove.com/services/amfgateway&servicesURL=http://services.brightcove.com/services&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&domain=embed&autoStart=false&" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="326" height="292" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" swLiveConnect="true" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed>

And you have never seen the show? Thats what I was referring too.

Sometimes I just feel that too many people want 100% accuracy in every damn show on TV and fail to just look at whether it is entertaining or not. too many people want to play critic these days rather than take it for what it is.

That isn't directed specifically at you keg. Just at everyone in general.

I still remember everyone bitching about all the plot holes in 24 and it drove me up the wall. it's TV for crying out loud.

I'm just happy to see a show that is family oriented. Same reason I liked No Ordinary Family last year.

thecoffeeguy 10-05-2011 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 7946881)
He was also Pickett in Gettysburg.

...and also played "Stonewall" Jackson in "Gods and Generals."

Buck 10-05-2011 05:44 PM

2nd episode was meh.

I'll still watch. I feel like half the eps might be family oriented and the other half will be a little more gritty and explain the mysteries of Terra Nova.

Okie_Apparition 10-05-2011 09:31 PM

I watched it until the little girl feed the dino...that was enough

Valiant 10-06-2011 08:10 PM

weak 2nd episode.. You run something like that a couple episodes before a finale, not when you are trying to keep viewers.. This does not bode well..

OmahaChief 10-07-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 7970279)
And you have never seen the show? Thats what I was referring too.

Sometimes I just feel that too many people want 100% accuracy in every damn show on TV and fail to just look at whether it is entertaining or not. too many people want to play critic these days rather than take it for what it is.

I could not agree more. I watch TV to get away from reality so if things aren't exactly right I really don't care. It is the same way with movies. People complain all the time...well the could not have survived that 300 foot fall into the water....who cares it is a movie!

notorious 10-07-2011 07:57 PM

1st episode was OK

2nd episode was meh.

Can we get some daring, interesting TV? Falling Skies and Terra Nova are about as original as hamburgers at a tailgate.

KcMizzou 10-07-2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7975220)
1st episode was OK

2nd episode was meh.

Can we get some daring, interesting TV? Falling Skies and Terra Nova are about as original as hamburgers at a tailgate.

Sure, but you'd better have cable.

FX, A&E, and HBO are killing it.

notorious 10-07-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 7975228)
Sure, but you'd better have cable.

FX, A&E, and HBO are killing it.

:)

I should have asked,"Can we get some daring, intersting Sci-Fi?"

KcMizzou 10-07-2011 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7975233)

Ooooh... agreed.

Deberg_1990 10-08-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 7975233)

Fringe on FOX is supposed to be good. Admittedly i havent watched in awhile...but there is a thread on the show.

DaKCMan AP 10-09-2011 07:34 PM

Allison Miller is amazingly gorgeous.

http://www.superiorpics.com/pictures...d520090420.jpg

ShowtimeSBMVP 10-11-2011 01:04 PM

Getting good last night was good.

patteeu 10-14-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 7982123)
Allison Miller is amazingly gorgeous.

She's one of only a few bright spots in a pretty lame show so far. Lame from the pov of a grown up looking for the same kind of show that Keg appreciates at least.

listopencil 10-14-2011 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 7970173)
And as far as "family shows" go, "family shows" are great. What's not great is labeling something a "family show" as a way to excuse lazy writing, poor production or in any other way justifying its existence by going down the "well, it's not that good, but kids can watch it" route.

We've attempted to watch this show twice. It's crap, we turned the channel. And your post explains exactly why.