ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Need Garage Door Help (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=252310)

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:26 PM

Need Garage Door Help

I'm having a problem with my garage door. It's going down and then coming back up before it closes. Sometimes it makes it an inch. Sometimes it makes it a foot. Sometimes it makes it almost all the way down. Sometimes it actually closes all the way. There is really no rhyme nor reason for why it is stopping.

It will close all the way if I hold down the main button inside my garage or the "Enter" button on my keypad. Holding down the button on the remote doesn't work.

I've checked the sensors, and there doesn't seem to be a problem there. I have also greased the tracks. Neither have helped. I'm about to call a professional, but I'm sure he'll turn one screw and charge me $150. I'm more worried about looking like an idiot than I am paying the $150. Also, I'm an idiot.

Lzen 11-08-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092538)
I'm an idiot.

Water is wet.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:29 PM

Most openers do have an adjustment that IS simple.

What brand is your opener ?

HemiEd 11-08-2011 03:29 PM

Something is tripping your sensors, or they are not properly aligned. I know you said you checked them, but I have had this problem numerous times. Sometimes it is kind of tricky.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:29 PM

What type of garage door opener do you have?

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8092544)
Water is wet.

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...g_Woodashx.jpg

Lzen 11-08-2011 03:30 PM

Ok, seriously.

-Check that all your screws/bolts/nuts on the door are tightened so as to be sure its not warping/torquing while closing.

- Is there a sensitivity knob? Perhaps yours is set to low?

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:30 PM

Is it coming ALL the way back up or just a little bit?

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:31 PM

It's a Liftmaster.

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092553)
Is it coming ALL the way back up or just a little bit?

ALL the way.

LiveSteam 11-08-2011 03:32 PM

When the batteries start to go bad in the remote my door will start doing similar crap

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092554)
It's a Liftmaster.

Ok....I worked tech support for Chamberlain for a year.

Go to the back of the opener. There should be two blue knobs that look like screws. There are numbers around them. Tell me what yours are set at.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

It's a Liftmaster.

Both sensors have a STEADY glowing LED light? (both the sending AND receiving sensor need to have LED illuminated)

seclark 11-08-2011 03:32 PM

i can't help...i usually just call the guy and he comes, fixes it. it's still under warranty, so he's never charged for it. bastard always comes when we're all at work, so we never know what he does to fix it. guess i'll worry about it when he starts charging.
sec

Lzen 11-08-2011 03:33 PM

You say you've checked the sensors but which ones? The ones that shoot a beam to each other near the bottom of the door? Or the ones along the track on near the ceiling?

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:33 PM

How old is your opener?

Donger 11-08-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092538)
I'm having a problem with my garage door. It's going down and then coming back up before it closes. Sometimes it makes it an inch. Sometimes it makes it a foot. Sometimes it makes it almost all the way down. Sometimes it actually closes all the way. There is really no rhyme nor reason for why it is stopping.

It will close all the way if I hold down the main button inside my garage or the "Enter" button on my keypad. Holding down the button on the remote doesn't work.

I've checked the sensors, and there doesn't seem to be a problem there. I have also greased the tracks. Neither have helped. I'm about to call a professional, but I'm sure he'll turn one screw and charge me $150. I'm more worried about looking like an idiot than I am paying the $150. Also, I'm an idiot.

Something is making the reverse mechanism engage. There's an adjustment knob on the motor housing that allows you to dial the amount of load that it will trip the reverse. You can adjust it so that it is less sensitive.

However, something is probably not right in the operation of the door. Have you disconnected the door from the opener and checked to see if its binding up somewhere?

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092558)

Ha, I sold Chamberlain openers for a LONG time while I was in collge...Great chain openers for a damn good price...Was cake to sell them..made decent money.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092559)
Both sensors have a STEADY glowing LED light? (both the sending AND receiving sensor need to have LED illuminated)

You can check this as well. There should be an orange and a green light.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092567)
Ha, I sold Chamberlain openers for a LONG time while I was in collge...Great chain openers for a damn good price...Was cake to sell them..made decent money.

Tech support was easy as ****. 95% of the calls were simple reprogramming of remotes.

MatriculatingHank 11-08-2011 03:35 PM

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wggsdbdqd...3141img-or.jpg

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092569)
Tech support was easy as ****. 95% of the calls were simple reprogramming of remotes.

lol press button on opener, then press your remote and wait for light to flash...Bye now

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092571)
lol press button on opener, then press your remote and wait for light to flash...Bye now

Pretty much. You'd get the occasional call where they ran it before they installed it.....but other than that.....easy shit.

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092558)

Go to the back of the opener. There should be two blue knobs that look like screws. There are numbers around them. Tell me what yours are set at.

both 6

Dayze 11-08-2011 03:37 PM

could be a Johnson Rod.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Fx2GZ4AJtVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092576)
Pretty much. You'd get the occasional call where they ran it before they installed it.....but other than that.....easy shit.

nice....the ones I sold were under the 'Craftsman' brand, but were Chamberlain openers

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092562)
How old is your opener?

5 years

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092585)
5 years

What color is the button on the back of your opener?

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MatriculatingHank (Post 8092570)

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,wggsdbdqd...3141img-or.jpg

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092568)
You can check this as well. There should be an orange and a green light.

One solid orange and one solid green. If I put my hand in between, they go off.

allen_kcCard 11-08-2011 03:40 PM

Did you check the fluid in the floor sensors? Mine did the same things when it got low on me.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092579)
both 6

Those are around the right setting. How old is the actual door itself?

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092592)
What color is the button on the back of your opener?

Purple

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092597)
Those are around the right setting. How old is the actual door itself?

The house is 5 years old.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092594)
One solid orange and one solid green. If I put my hand in between, they go off.

sensors are good, its probably something in the travel or binding the door itself...I would check the door manually 1st...unhook the opener latch thingy and see how your door feels when you open and close it....

then move on to adjusting the travel / sensativity

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092602)
sensors are good, its probably something in the travel or binding the door itself...I would check the door manually 1st...unhook the opener latch thingy and see how your door feels when you open and close it....

I've had to do it manually several times. I don't really feel any obvious binding. Then again, it's a 16' x 8' door, so it's pretty ****ing heavy.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092602)

This.

Unlatch the door.....get it about halfway from the floor to the celing and let it go. If it stays....then adjust the down force a little bit. If it drops....then your door is unbalanced.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:43 PM

Quote:

This same principle applies to the up travel adjustment. Turn the screw towards the increase and the door will open farther. Turning the screw towards the decrease button will have the opposite effect.

Things to remember during this adjustment phase:

One complete turn of the adjustment screw is equivalent to approximately 2 inches of travel.Turning the adjustment screw the direction of the arrow always increases travel. Turning it the opposite of the arrow decreases travel.The motor may overheat and shut off with repeated operation. Simply wait at least 30 minutes and try again.Always test the safety reverse system after adjusting the opener. We recommend repeating this test monthly.
Place a one inch board (or 2 x 4 laid flat) on the floor centered under the garage door. Operate the door in the down direction. The door must reverse on striking the board. If it does not, refer to your owner“s manual, call your LiftMaster Authorized Dealer or speak to one of our technical service representatives by calling the S.O.S. HotLine® at 1-800-528-5880. Failure to pass the above test could result in serious injury or death.
from l m

TIED5573 11-08-2011 03:44 PM

Quote:

Nice story...but really, no help.

Cool story, though.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:44 PM

Don't adjust the travel screws.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:44 PM

also Force

[IMG]
Quote:

How do I make force adjustments? The force adjustments control the pressure used to open and close the door. A new garage door opener from the factory is set to the lowest possible force adjustment. If you have a properly-balanced door, the forces required to open and close the door should be minimal. The force adjustments are usually located on the rear of the garage door opener and/or under one of the light lenses, if your opener has two lights. If you have lights on the side of your opener, the force adjustment will be located under the right light lens. The force adjustments are labeled with an arrow indicating open or close and numbered 1 to 9, with one being the lowest force and nine the highest. The force adjustments can only turn 260 degrees, or ¾ of a complete turn. Changes to the forces should be done in 10-degree increments. Please remember that too much force will interfere with the proper operation of the safety reversal system. Do not increase the force beyond the minimum amount required to close the door. Do not use the force adjustments to compensate for a sticking, binding, or unbalanced garage door. After adjusting the opener, always test the safety reverse system. We recommend repeating this test monthly. Place a one inch board (or 2 x 4 laid flat) on the floor, centered under the garage door. Operate the door in the down direction. The door must reverse upon striking the board. If it does not, refer to your owner“s manual, call your local LiftMaster Authorized Dealer or speak to one of our technical service representatives by calling our S.O.S. HotLine® at 1-800-528-5880. Failure to pass the above test could result in serious injury or death.
[/IMG]

Stewie 11-08-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

I have a Chamberlain that I bought at Sam's in about '95 that still works great. I was amazed that they was the largest manufacturer of openers in the world since I'd never heard of them.

I then replaced my other opener with a Sears Craftsman and it was the EXACT same opener as the Chamberlain. No wonder they are so big, they make the openers for a bunch of other companies. The Sears instruction manual was exactly the same except it said Craftsman where the other manual said Chamberlain.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:45 PM

Adjusting the travel screws tells the opener how far it needs to go down before it stops. Your travel screws should be fine. It's the closing power that is more than likely the issue.

Your garage door should be able to be opened and closed manually by a 10 year old child.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TIED5573 (Post 8092611)
Nice story...but really, no help.

Cool story, though.

Hey I am too trying to help!

Meanie!

http://www.sectalk.com/boards/images...gged3na4-1.jpg

LiveSteam 11-08-2011 03:46 PM

Buy a new one

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092608)
This.

Unlatch the door.....get it about halfway from the floor to the celing and let it go. If it stays....then adjust the down force a little bit. If it drops....then your door is unbalanced.

It stayed where it was. Which direction do I adjust the down force? Also, there are screws on the side of the opener as well.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 8092617)
I have a Chamberlain that I bought at Sam's in about '95 that still works great. I was amazed that they was the largest manufacturer of openers in the world since I'd never heard of them.

I then replaced my other opener with a Sears Craftsman and it was the EXACT same opener as the Chamberlain. No wonder they are so big, they make the openers for a bunch of other companies. The Sears instruction manual was exactly the same except it said Craftsman where the other manual said Chamberlain.

Yup.....They made really good priced units (Chamberlain) that held up and lasted..Buying from Sears was probably good becuase you get the same4 thing, often on special with extra remotes and/or security pads for the exterior thrown in......And sears had decent prices frequently on the installation as well.

seclark 11-08-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092619)
Your garage door should be able to be opened and closed manually by a 10 year old child.

no shit?
sec

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092619)
Adjusting the travel screws tells the opener how far it needs to go down before it stops. Your travel screws should be fine. It's the closing power that is more than likely the issue.

I think a 10 year old would be strong enough.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092632)
It stayed where it was. Which direction do I adjust the down force? Also, there are screws on the side of the opener as well.

The down force should have an arrow pointing down next to it. The numbers only go from 1-10. Adjust it one number down at a time until it closes fully.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 8092634)
no shit?
sec

Yep.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 03:53 PM

Your travel adjustment screws are different. You'll actually need a screwdriver to turn those. You should be able to adjust the down force with your hand.

TIED5573 11-08-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092637)
I think a 10 year old would be strong enough.

Can he throw down field? Bring him in for a look.

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092638)
The down force should have an arrow pointing down next to it. The numbers only go from 1-10. Adjust it one number down at a time until it closes fully.

I think that did it. Thanks!

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:58 PM

good job pestilence and groupon

TrebMaxx 11-08-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

It's a Liftmaster.

I have a LiftMaster and it is easy to program the stops. I will also warn that I learned how to program it when a sensor went out on my unit. Had to set it back up about every other day for two weeks until the replacement part arrived (they replaced the motor).

Saul Good 11-08-2011 03:59 PM

I think I'm supposed to say "rep" or something. I've only given one other rep ever.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092658)

make sure to test the safety reverse when youre done ****ign with it

Quote:

Place a one inch board (or 2 x 4 laid flat) on the floor centered under the garage door. Operate the door in the down direction. The door must reverse on striking the board. If it does not, refer to your owner“s manual, call your LiftMaster Authorized Dealer or speak to one of our technical service representatives by calling the S.O.S. HotLine® at 1-800-528-5880. Failure to pass the above test could result in serious injury or death.

Lzen 11-08-2011 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092660)
good job pestilence and groupon

Donger and I were on the right track with our suggestions. :p

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 8092674)
Donger and I were on the right track with our suggestions. :p

good job all!

Didnt mean to leave anyone out, that was nice of everyone to help out.!

I love Cheifsplanet

Dayze 11-08-2011 04:04 PM

disregard my theory of a bad johnson rod. by the sounds of things, it's functioning properly.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Sweet!

Definitely do the safety test that Pawnmower was talking about.

If it starts to happen again in the future....then you'll need to call a door technician to come out because your door is to heavy for your opener.

Saul Good 11-08-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092663)
make sure to test the safety reverse when youre done ****ign with it

It opened when I did that. Thanks

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092724)

Seems like youre all dialed in then and the force is correct. Good job sir.

The Franchise 11-08-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092724)

Sent you a PM.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.....and I'll see what I can help you with.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8092731)
Sent you a PM.

Let me know if you have any problems with it.....and I'll see what I can help you with.

Isn't it supposed to open when you do that test? I don't know as much as you do about the tech support end of it.

Donger 11-08-2011 04:31 PM

Quote:

Be aware that you will now be able to crush small children (and crush your car) without the door reversing. It's a safety feature. Find out what is making it reverse in the first place.

Donger 11-08-2011 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seclark (Post 8092634)
no shit?
sec

Yes. The springs should be doing all the work. If you release the door, it should NOT go flying toward the ground at super speed. If it does, your springs are grossly is need of adjusting/replacing.

The door should not even hit the ground if the springs are in working order.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8092749)
Be aware that you will now be able to crush small children (and crush your car) without the door reversing. It's a safety feature. Find out what is making it reverse in the first place.

I believe he tested the saftey reverse to make sure it would still reverse....(using a 2x4 on the ground, as per standard)

Donger 11-08-2011 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8092754)
I believe he tested the saftey reverse to make sure it would still reverse....(using a 2x4 on the ground, as per standard)

That's for pussies. I had my boy straddle the beams and closed it on him to test it. Now, he walks in circles.

Ming the Merciless 11-08-2011 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 8092757)
That's for pussies. I had my boy straddle the beams and closed it on him to test it. Now, he walks in circles.

DONT BREAK YOUR STANCE BOY OR YOU WILL FACE MY WRATH

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...jKux2AOl_3U93R

Phobia 11-08-2011 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Groupon (Post 8092606)
I've had to do it manually several times. I don't really feel any obvious binding. Then again, it's a 16' x 8' door, so it's pretty ****ing heavy.

Shouldn't be. It's your tension springs. They probably need adjusted.