ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Where do you rent your NEW RELEASE movies from? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=260242)

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 01:20 PM

Where do you rent your NEW RELEASE movies from?

Just curious......and why? Do you favor one service or method above all others?

Buy Them from Wal Mart, Best Buy, Target etc...
Blockbuster
Mom and Pop store
Redbox
iTunes
Amazon
Vudu
CinemaNow
Cable Provider PPV

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 02:08 PM

If it's a movie I know I like I just go ahead and buy it from a Target or Best Buy. If I am not sure I go to Blockbuster to rent it since they are the only place to get true new releases. I also like supporting a long time business that is struggling so much. Considering how much our society wants immediate satisfaction it shocks me that a RedBox can knock out Blockbusters even though you have to wait a month for new movies.

siberian khatru 06-06-2012 02:12 PM

I've been streaming them off VuDu, but I've got a couple of Redbox coupons from frozen pizza boxes I need to use.

frankotank 06-06-2012 02:16 PM

VUDU or PPV....usually VUDU though. they seem to have a better selection and sometimes get the newest stuff first.

speakig of renting from VUDU....watched a new one last night....
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON JOHN CARTER!!!
DON'T DO IT!

Bewbies 06-06-2012 02:19 PM

Typically Amazon. I have VUDU and Cinema Now but have not used them yet...

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 8663320)
Typically Amazon. I have VUDU and Cinema Now but have not used them yet...

I noticed Amazon and Vudu charge the same prices for new releases....but Amazon lets you rent for 48hrs and Vudu only 24hrs.

Fire Me Boy! 06-06-2012 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663288)
If it's a movie I know I like I just go ahead and buy it from a Target or Best Buy. If I am not sure I go to Blockbuster to rent it since they are the only place to get true new releases. I also like supporting a long time business that is struggling so much. Considering how much our society wants immediate satisfaction it shocks me that a RedBox can knock out Blockbusters even though you have to wait a month for new movies.

I would be all over Blockbuster if they would figure out that a $5 rental for 4 days or whatever isn't a sustainable business model anymore. Many people don't want to rent a movie for a week. I want to spend $1 and have it for less than a day. That's one of the reasons Redbox is so attractive (aside from convenience).

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8663331)
I would be all over Blockbuster if they would figure out that a $5 rental for 4 days or whatever isn't a sustainable business model anymore. Many people don't want to rent a movie for a week. I want to spend $1 and have it for less than a day. That's one of the reasons Redbox is so attractive (aside from convenience).

Redbox is about $1.30 per night now and I suspect with decreased competition will only keep increasing. The time before my last rent it was $1.20. But Blockbuster still has the benefit of getting the new releases first. A while back before they started closing stores they were actually doing the $1 per night thing except they just can't compete with the Redbox regarding convenience. I have seen some Blockbuster boxes popping up. I wonder how they are doing.

Fire Me Boy! 06-06-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663368)
Redbox is about $1.30 per night now and I suspect with decreased competition will only keep increasing. The time before my last rent it was $1.20. But Blockbuster still has the benefit of getting the new releases first. A while back before they started closing stores they were actually doing the $1 per night thing except they just can't compete with the Redbox regarding convenience. I have seen some Blockbuster boxes popping up. I wonder how they are doing.

There's one of those at a Publix about 20 miles from me... never even considered it since there are 5 Redbox kiosks within 5 miles of me.

jiveturkey 06-06-2012 02:47 PM

Netflix or Amazon download

listopencil 06-06-2012 02:48 PM

Quote:

I would rather use RedBox than Blockbuster. The locations are substantially more convenient and most of the complete crap that Hollywood churns out isn't worth seeing in a theater if at all. For that matter, it's not even worth paying more than $1.50 for the entire family and I'm not in any hurry to get to see it. When the occasional very good movie comes out, or when I know that the movie watching experience of something that I want to see will benefit greatly from the theater environment, then I will go to the theater.

listopencil 06-06-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiveturkey (Post 8663385)
Netflix or Amazon download

We watch a lot of Netflix. It has replaced our normal television viewing.

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8663382)
There's one of those at a Publix about 20 miles from me... never even considered it since there are 5 Redbox kiosks within 5 miles of me.

That is the same case for me. I imagine that when the creators of Redbox thought to put their product in McDonalds they felt like they were having an epiphany.

ShowtimeSBMVP 06-06-2012 02:59 PM

http://www.bitsoup.org/

Fire Me Boy! 06-06-2012 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663397)
That is the same case for me. I imagine that when the creators of Redbox thought to put their product in McDonalds they felt like they were having an epiphany.

Oddly, we don't have one at our McDonald's. We have two at the Winn Dixie, two at the Wal-Mart and one at the CVS.

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8663420)
Oddly, we don't have one at our McDonald's. We have two at the Winn Dixie, two at the Wal-Mart and one at the CVS.

That is strange. IIRC the first place they popped up was McDonald's, at least here in KC anyways. I remember a local grocery store had movie rentals but then about 5 years ago that got replaced by some weird new thing called a Redbox :shrug:

Fire Me Boy! 06-06-2012 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663427)
That is strange. IIRC the first place they popped up was McDonald's, at least here in KC anyways. I remember a local grocery store had movie rentals but then about 5 years ago that got replaced by some weird new thing called a Redbox :shrug:

Yeah, first place I ever saw one was the McD in Belton. I rarely go to McDonald's, so I couldn't tell you if that's abnormal down here in AL.

Buck 06-06-2012 04:09 PM

I haven't rented a movie in like 3 years. I think the last movie I rented was Godfather II. Since then all streaming on Netflix or a purchase of the dvd/blu-ray. Or going to the theater to watch it.

Buck 06-06-2012 04:09 PM

Oh **** that's not true. I rented The Town on redbox for a date some time last year.

I am ashamed at myself for lying to you.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 04:11 PM

It was Directv. Now Vudu.

The Franchise 06-06-2012 04:14 PM

1. If it's something I know I'll like.....I'll buy it the week that it comes out.
2. If it's something that I know I'll want to at least watch the first week or two that it's out....I'll go to Blockbuster.
3. If it's something I can wait on.....I'll wait until it hits Redbox.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

There is a Blockbuster open near you?

They are a closing/closed in Ohio.

DaFace 06-06-2012 04:26 PM

Depending on how lazy I am, VUDU or Redbox.

vailpass 06-06-2012 04:27 PM

VUDU.

Easy. Cheap. Nothing to return, don't have to leave my house. Movies stay for a day or two in case the kids want to watch something a second time.

Fish 06-06-2012 04:28 PM

"Rent".... LOL....

The Franchise 06-06-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8663560)
VUDU.

Easy. Cheap. Nothing to return, don't have to leave my house. Movies stay for a day or two in case the kids want to watch something a second time.

How's the quality?

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8663632)
How's the quality?

IMO Vudu is excellent quality.

mr. tegu 06-06-2012 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8663533)
There is a Blockbuster open near you?

They are a closing/closed in Ohio.

We have two left in a pretty large area. In the past year and a half in that same area we have lost three at least.

DaFace 06-06-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

How's the quality?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8663649)
IMO Vudu is excellent quality.

Yup. Assuming your connection and computer are able to handle it, you are able to pay for whatever quality you're into. For new releases, I believe it's $3.99 for SD, $4.99 for 720p HD, and $5.99 for 1080p HD (that they call HDX). I've done the HDX before, and it looks as good as a bluray.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 05:32 PM

I haven't used Redbox in quite awhile.

They're cheap, but I'm not waiting a month for a new release.

007 06-06-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8663732)
I haven't used Redbox in quite awhile.

They're cheap, but I'm not waiting a month for a new release.

Isn't it funny that when a company puts together a model the public likes other businesses find a way to make it less desirable

vailpass 06-06-2012 05:36 PM

Quote:

How's the quality?

You have your choice between SD, 720p and 1080p. Each at a different cost level.

*edit* DaFace has this covered.

The Franchise 06-06-2012 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8663720)
Yup. Assuming your connection and computer are able to handle it, you are able to pay for whatever quality you're into. For new releases, I believe it's $3.99 for SD, $4.99 for 720p HD, and $5.99 for 1080p HD (that they call HDX). I've done the HDX before, and it looks as good as a bluray.

What kind of connection do you have? Are you streaming it to your laptop and then into your TV?

Frazod 06-06-2012 05:58 PM

Personally, I really miss Blockbuster. I liked the idea of being able to peruse movies in person. Guess I'm old school. Haven't ever used the box things, I generally just wait for stuff to hit Starz or HBO. Sometimes I'll use DTV PPV. I certainly miss more movies than I used to, but seeing as how most everything released nowadays is a ****ing pale remake of something I've already seen, it doesn't really matter all that much.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8663826)
What kind of connection do you have? Are you streaming it to your laptop and then into your TV?

PS3 will work.

Deberg_1990 06-06-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 8663831)
Personally, I really miss Blockbuster. I liked the idea of being able to peruse movies in person. Guess I'm old school. .

Yea, I kind of miss that too. But what I don't miss is having to return movies and late fees. With instant streaming I'm paying the same price for a new release at Blockbuster, and never have to leave my house or worry about it being out of stock.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8663741)
Isn't it funny that when a company puts together a model the public likes other businesses find a way to make it less desirable

Yep.

I don't quite get why they can't rent new release like PPV, etc.

007 06-06-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8663863)
Yep.

I don't quite get why they can't rent new release like PPV, etc.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Mama Hip Rockets 06-06-2012 06:40 PM

netflix

vailpass 06-06-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

App on the blue ray player. Another thing I like about VUDU is you can watch the previews before renting.

underEJ 06-06-2012 09:16 PM

Quote:

I stream from amazon on demand or occasionally on demand from cable for stuff like IFC In Theaters On Demand where you can watch at home the same day it goes into theaters. I wish I knew whether a theater ticket or an opening day rental made the film maker more money. It's about the same cost to me.

I started to feel sorry for Blockbuster a bit and then I remembered the nice folks who owned the National Video franchise in Brookside and how Blockbuster moved in and crushed them along with all 600 National Video stores in like one year flat.

DaFace 06-07-2012 01:22 AM

Quote:

I've got a dedicated computer hooked up to a TV that I used at first, but our new HDTV now has it built in, so we use that most of the time. It's built into a ton of different devices these days - kind of like Netflix.

mr. tegu 06-07-2012 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underEJ (Post 8664443)
I stream from amazon on demand or occasionally on demand from cable for stuff like IFC In Theaters On Demand where you can watch at home the same day it goes into theaters. I wish I knew whether a theater ticket or an opening day rental made the film maker more money. It's about the same cost to me.

I started to feel sorry for Blockbuster a bit and then I remembered the nice folks who owned the National Video franchise in Brookside and how Blockbuster moved in and crushed them along with all 600 National Video stores in like one year flat.

Did they buy them out or just force them out of business?

vailpass 06-07-2012 12:31 PM

Do any of you still actually buy, as opposed to rent, movies? If so do you buy them digitally or are you still kickin' it old school with hard copy?

007 06-07-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8665448)
Do any of you still actually buy, as opposed to rent, movies? If so do you buy them digitally or are you still kickin' it old school with hard copy?

I prefer to buy a hard copy when I do buy. I got screwed over by CinemaNow on a online purchase when they pulled the copy off the servers due to the movie studios telling them to. They gave me credit for a new movie but I wanted that movie.

Not ready to take the plunge to non hard copy because of that.

when I do rent though, it is almost always Redbox. Someday hopefully the online market will lower their prices to the redbox level.

Fire Me Boy! 06-07-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

I don't buy nearly as much as I used to, but when I do, it's hard copy. I did buy Season 4 of Breaking Bad on Amazon because I couldn't wait a couple days for the DVDs.

vailpass 06-07-2012 12:55 PM

Interesting. It seems as though hard copy would be a thing of the past soon but it sounds like there is still some sentiment for the dvd.

The Franchise 06-07-2012 12:56 PM

I always buy the hard copy when I buy my DVDs.

lcarus 06-07-2012 01:09 PM

Redbox if it's something I really wanna see. If not, Pirate Bay has a lot of good deals.

Deberg_1990 06-07-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

I rarely buy, but when I do, its almost always digital now. No DVDs anymore.

Ive noticed the new trend now on iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, etc is to digitally release a movie for "BUY Only" a couple of weeks before the rental window. I think the new Ghost Rider flick is buy only as of today. NO way in hell im paying full price $19.99 for that though.

mr. tegu 06-07-2012 01:32 PM

Quote:

I prefer to buy movies if it is one I like and when I do I prefer the DVD hard copy. I just like having it in my hands, on my shelf, and the ability to transfer it to multiple places if I need to. I am also a person that doesn't really download music either though.

But I also don't buy CDs which is probably because the vast majority of music I would considerable "purchasable" are some of the older things which I would have already purchased before internet downloads became so big.

Fire Me Boy! 06-07-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8665515)
Interesting. It seems as though hard copy would be a thing of the past soon but it sounds like there is still some sentiment for the dvd.

It's probably a matter of time. Alternatively, I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. As a matter of fact, when I put a new head unit in my car a couple months ago, I went with a digital media receiver - no CD capability. I actually have my entire collection on a 64 gig jump drive that trails from the back of the unit on a USB cable into my glove box.

vailpass 06-07-2012 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 8665616)
It's probably a matter of time. Alternatively, I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. As a matter of fact, when I put a new head unit in my car a couple months ago, I went with a digital media receiver - no CD capability. I actually have my entire collection on a 64 gig jump drive that trails from the back of the unit on a USB cable into my glove box.

Yes, that's what I would think the trend would be. It's the natural progression until we can get our brains online with the matrix.

vailpass 06-07-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8665574)
I rarely buy, but when I do, its almost always digital now. No DVDs anymore.

Ive noticed the new trend now on iTunes, Vudu, Amazon, etc is to digitally release a movie for "BUY Only" a couple of weeks before the rental window. I think the new Ghost Rider flick is buy only as of today. NO way in hell im paying full price $19.99 for that though.

Yeah I remember the kids were excited when Puss n Boots came to VUDU but then we discovered it was Buy Only.
Bullshit on that, why buy when you can rent it? If it's a movie you like it will be on HBO soon then you can DVR that bitch into perpetuity.

vailpass 06-07-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8665601)
I prefer to buy movies if it is one I like and when I do I prefer the DVD hard copy. I just like having it in my hands, on my shelf, and the ability to transfer it to multiple places if I need to. I am also a person that doesn't really download music either though.

But I also don't buy CDs which is probably because the vast majority of music I would considerable "purchasable" are some of the older things which I would have already purchased before internet downloads became so big.

I hear you. I'm probably against hard copy because of video games. We have 3 boys and as they have been growing up we've bought them Play Station, Wii, and Xbox games. The discs get scratched and the game is gone. Not too long ago my wife re-did their play room and counted over 90 games that were ruined.

Deberg_1990 06-07-2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8665943)
Yeah I remember the kids were excited when Puss n Boots came to VUDU but then we discovered it was Buy Only.
Bullshit on that, why buy when you can rent it? If it's a movie you like it will be on HBO soon then you can DVR that bitch into perpetuity.

Your basically paying full price for the privledge of getting to watch the movie a few weeks before most everyone else. No thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave 06-07-2012 04:11 PM

Quote:

Hard Copy. No way I'm buying digital unless its my only option.

BigMeatballDave 06-07-2012 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8665515)

I havent bought a DVD in more than 3 yrs.

Strictly Blu-Ray.

007 06-08-2012 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8666025)

Strictly Blu-Ray.

To be honest, the wow factor of Blu Ray has worn off on me. Unless it is a AAAAA title, I usually just go with DVD. Unless the price is similar between the two of course.

I love the way Disney does it now though. Blu Ray, DVD and digital copy for around $25. That is worth every penny.

some of the other companies are starting to do that as well with certain movies but not enough.

mikeyis4dcats. 06-08-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8665982)
I hear you. I'm probably against hard copy because of video games. We have 3 boys and as they have been growing up we've bought them Play Station, Wii, and Xbox games. The discs get scratched and the game is gone. Not too long ago my wife re-did their play room and counted over 90 games that were ruined.

it's pretty hard to ruin a modern video game. Buy a disc resurfacer.

007 06-08-2012 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8667009)

Or just get all your games on the PS3. Those discs are practically indestructible.

Swanman 06-08-2012 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8663368)
I have seen some Blockbuster boxes popping up. I wonder how they are doing.

The major problem for the Blockbuster kiosks is that almost none of them have blu-rays. I am at a point where I just won't watch regular dvds. There is a blockbuster kiosk at a 7-11 less than 2 blocks from my house, but it doesn't have blu-rays. I have about 10 redbox's within 2 miles and all have a good selection of blu-rays. I just fire up the redbox app on my phone, find a movie I want and have it search nearby.

Frazod 06-08-2012 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8666025)

Strictly Blu-Ray.

I actually ordered a DVD a couple of days ago - first one in years. I Come In Peace (one of my favorite corny 80s movies) is finally available, but only on DVD.

vailpass 06-08-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 8667009)

What is this disc resurfacer of which you speak? I looked on Amazon just now and there are many ranging from $9.99 to $7448.98.
Do you know of anyone that has used one with success?

vailpass 06-08-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 8667024)
Or just get all your games on the PS3. Those discs are practically indestructible.

Not for my boys.

underEJ 06-08-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 8665386)
Did they buy them out or just force them out of business?

National Video spent a great deal of effort changing the deals with studios from one where stores paid 70-100 bucks for each tape, and kept all the rental proceeds to a new model where the franchise got the tapes for 10 bucks and split the rental fees with studios after a small cut to National Video corporate. It allowed the individually owned stores to stock more tapes especially of new releases.

Then Blockbuster came along got the same deal as NV with the studios and opened stores a block or less away from almost every National Video and had corporate cash levels to stock shelves. All's fair in business with supply and demand I guess, but they even had an ad campaign sort of like "they can't possibly have all the new releases you want, but we are huge and we can, so walk a few doors down." Smart, successful, and really sad for the other guys. National Video sold to another company (not BB) at the corporate level, but it was kind of too late and most of the stores closed.

On another note, remember when people used to rent VCRs from Blockbuster along with the tapes? Hilarious to think about now.

ILChief 06-08-2012 12:15 PM

Either iTunes or redbox

underEJ 06-08-2012 12:18 PM

I buy a few blurays still. Bought the Season 1 Game of Thrones and was reminded just how terrible the HD from cable is. The blurays are just spectacular. I tend to buy the ones I want to look at for the cinematography and the vfx on bluray to see it at the best quality, and then rent or stream the stuff that doesn't need the high quality.

I have bought a couple of things from amazon to watch on my micropc on airplanes or something, but try not to get anything I'd rather have on bluray because I am not going to double buy. I don't do that much any more though since I can rent and watch offline now on my phone for a plane trip. Much cheaper and roughly the same size screen.