ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Electronics 8 Things the iPhone 5 Still Can't Do (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263874)

BigMeatballDave 09-17-2012 11:01 PM

8 Things the iPhone 5 Still Can't Do

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/8-thin...-can-t-do.html

In terms of specs, performance, and features, the iPhone 5 is Apple's best to date. This doesn't mean it's as good as it could be, however.

There were a few egregious omissions from the keynote presentation – features that we not only want in our iPhone, but that we feel are overdue.

NFC for mobile payments

Instead of building NFC into the iPhone, Apple would rather have you use its Passbook system, which lets lets users store tickets, gift cards, boarding passes, and the like.

It can handle some (but definitely not all) of the tasks that you might use NFC for. For example, you can't use Passbook to wirelessly send money to a friend via PayPal.

NFC also lets you beam content between devices just by tapping them together. Samsung's Galaxy S III takes advantage of this feature.

Swype
An improved texting solution on the keyboard, like Swype

Swype is something of a mainstay on Android phones. Instead of tapping out your texts letter by letter, you can drag your finger over them without lifting it. The end result is that you get your message out much more quickly.

SD card support for extra storage

We'd like to be able to extend our device's storage capability beyond the 64 GB maximum. History suggests that external SD card support isn't going to be in a mobile Apple device any time soon.

A 128 GB option

The iPod Classic offered users 160 GB of music and video capacity. Many people (ourselves included) had no problem filling it right up.

Now that the iPhone is an easy replacement for your old iPod, we'd love to be able to carry the same amount of content around with us without having to pick and choose what stays at home.

Non-proprietary dock connection

We've never understood why our iPhones can't use a standard USB port and a standard USB cable to sync. Now the iPhone 5 introduces a new micro-dock connection requiring the use of its own special cable.

If you want to use your old sync cables, you have to buy this $29 adapter.

A micro-HDMI port

Once again, if you want to get video off of your phone, it requires the use of a special adapter. (Unless you buy a $99 Apple TV.) The Kindle Fire HD and several Android phones use a micro-HDMI port, letting you run a cable straight from your tablet to the television.

This makes it easier, better, and more affordable for the user.

Replaceable battery

The battery life on the iPhone 5 has seen some nice improvements, but for the power users who are glued to their phones all day, it won't suffice.

We'd love to be able to carry an additional fully-charged iPhone battery that we could pop in whenever the first one bites the dust.

While we're at it, better battery life!

The iPhone 5's battery life is about the same as the iPhone 4S'. Yes, it has a bigger battery, but the new 4G LTE radio and bigger screen use up a lot of that extra power. We wish Apple had included a better battery in the iPhone 5 like the one on Motorola's Droid Razr Maxx. The Razr Maxx can last several hours longer than the iPhone 5.

L.A. Chieffan 09-17-2012 11:03 PM

IPhone 5 pre-sales top 2 million in 1 day

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...709179804/1005

BigMeatballDave 09-17-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by L.A.Chieffan (Post 8923724)
IPhone 5 pre-sales top 2 million in 1 day

http://www.heraldnet.com/article/201...709179804/1005

Yep.

A lot of lemmings in the world today...

Fish 09-17-2012 11:09 PM

FYI... Swype for iOS...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tpvd16iRiFY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BigMeatballDave 09-17-2012 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8923742)
FYI... Swype for iOS...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tpvd16iRiFY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Awesome.

Not an Apple feature.

Fish 09-17-2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8923754)
Awesome.

Not an Apple feature.

No, but most of what I do on my iPhone wouldn't be considered an Apple feature per say. That's the point of jailbreaking. No different than rooting.

L.A. Chieffan 09-17-2012 11:56 PM

lol, if you have to jailbreak to get all the good shit then why overpay for a limited device in the first place?

Fish 09-17-2012 11:57 PM

Same reason Android users choose to root.

L.A. Chieffan 09-17-2012 11:58 PM

I have Swype and its not rooted. WINNING

BigMeatballDave 09-17-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8923846)

You can get free apps without root.

BigMeatballDave 09-18-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8923846)

I root to flash custom roms and themes.

I like to tinker. You just can't do all that on an iPhone.

Fish 09-18-2012 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8923869)

Well of course you can. That's exactly why I jailbreak. You should see the themes that jailbroken iOS is capable of....

AustinChief 09-18-2012 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8923895)
Well of course you can. That's exactly why I jailbreak. You should see the themes that jailbroken iOS is capable of....

I'll have to agree here. Yes you can do more with rooted Android phones but only marginally so.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 07:11 AM

I still can't ****ing believe I had to install iTunes on my PC and Goodreader on my iPad just to move ONE FILE from the PC to the iPad.

Deberg_1990 09-18-2012 07:14 AM

you mean they dont wash your dishes and clothes yet?

heh, the expecatations placed upon these smartphones now is getting ridiculous.

www.whitewhine.com

ZepSinger 09-18-2012 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8924127)
I still can't ****ing believe I had to install iTunes on my PC and Goodreader on my iPad just to move ONE FILE from the PC to the iPad.

That's the nature of Apple- the Berlin Wall of computing.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepSinger (Post 8924138)
That's the nature of Apple- the Berlin Wall of computing.

iTunes is a "hook". I see why they do it.

One of my co-workers used to be an analyst at Xerox. He said the ONLY reason printer manufacturers bundle software free-of-charge is because it's a "hook" - people end up using the software (the path of least resistance) to buy paper, ink, and all kinds of other stuff.

Ultimately, they make infinitely more money via the use of the software than the software cost in the first place.

Deberg_1990 09-18-2012 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8924142)
iTunes is a "hook". I see why they do it.

One of my co-workers used to be an analyst at Xerox. He said the ONLY reason printer manufacturers bundle software free-of-charge is because it's a "hook" - people end up using the software (the path of least resistance) to buy paper, ink, and all kinds of other stuff.

Ultimately, they make infinitely more money via the use of the software than the software cost in the first place.

exactly. The worst is printers that cost $50 bucks, but you have to replace the print cartridges every 6 weeks at $30 a piece.

Cant you use dropbox to transfer files from iPad to PC ?

Saulbadguy 09-18-2012 07:32 AM

I'm anything but an Apple homer, and none of those things mean anything to me. I guess the only thing that might be nice is a mini HDMI port, but I don't think I would use that very often.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8924162)
exactly. The worst is printers that cost $50 bucks, but you have to replace the print cartridges every 6 weeks at $30 a piece.

Cant you use dropbox to transfer files from iPad to PC ?

If you have an Internet connection, yes. In this case, I had need to transfer a file via USB.

They sent me an Android phone and an iPad. I use the Android for EVERYTHING work-related, including Good email. The iPad mostly sits by the couch in case I need to look something up or browse CP while I'm watching TV.

Deberg_1990 09-18-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8924179)
If you have an Internet connection, yes. In this case, I had need to transfer a file via USB.

They sent me an Android phone and an iPad. I use the Android for EVERYTHING work-related, including Good email. The iPad mostly sits by the couch in case I need to look something up or browse CP while I'm watching TV.

Yea i agree its an annoyance to not be able to stick a standard USB device into an iPad for file transfer. Apple wants to push everything to the cloud and back down again.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8924176)
I'm anything but an Apple homer, and none of those things mean anything to me. I guess the only thing that might be nice is a mini HDMI port, but I don't think I would use that very often.

If my girls' Kindle Fires had mini-HDMI out, we wouldn't need a Roku player for their bedroom...

htismaqe 09-18-2012 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 8924184)
Yea i agree its an annoyance to not be able to stick a standard USB device into an iPad for file transfer. Apple wants to push everything to the cloud and back down again.

I'd be happy if I could use the included cable and mount it as a removable drive on my PC like every other device I have. But NOOOOOOOOOO...

WV 09-18-2012 07:53 AM

The lack of most of these features don't mean a lot to me, but there was nothing that extraordinary that made me want to switch from Android and I actually wanted to.

Fish 09-18-2012 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8924211)
I'd be happy if I could use the included cable and mount it as a removable drive on my PC like every other device I have. But NOOOOOOOOOO...

Actually you can. But most people just don't realize it. Apple tries to hide that little known fact.

Next time you're in that situation, download this: http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/wiki/Usage

That's a nifty little Windows app called iPhoneBrowser. It allows you to mount any iOS device, not just iPhone, and access it directly with a file browser. Over USB cable, no internet required. Your device does not have to be jailbroken for this. If it's not jailbroken, you'll only have access to a sandboxed "Home Folder", which is actually the /private/var/mobile/Library/Documents folder. That's the same folder that Goodreader has access to. You'll have full read/write control to access any type of file you want to put there. If your device is jailbroken, you'll have access to the entire filesystem. Which is another nice reason to jailbreak.

If the device is jailbroken, there are lots of other methods to directly access the filesystem as well.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924320)
Actually you can. But most people just don't realize it. Apple tries to hide that little known fact.

Next time you're in that situation, download this: http://code.google.com/p/iphonebrowser/wiki/Usage

That's a nifty little Windows app called iPhoneBrowser. It allows you to mount any iOS device, not just iPhone, and access it directly with a file browser. Over USB cable, no internet required. Your device does not have to be jailbroken for this. If it's not jailbroken, you'll only have access to a sandboxed "Home Folder", which is actually the /private/var/mobile/Library/Documents folder. That's the same folder that Goodreader has access to. You'll have full read/write control to access any type of file you want to put there. If your device is jailbroken, you'll have access to the entire filesystem. Which is another nice reason to jailbreak.

If the device is jailbroken, there are lots of other methods to directly access the filesystem as well.

I can't jailbreak it since it's technically not mine. But this is nice to know. Thanks!

Is there any way to prevent driver installation from automatically installing iTunes when I plug in the device?

TeaQue 09-18-2012 08:46 AM

Who really cares about NFC? You guys actually "bump" or use S Beam? I mean really? And the paypal thing....I use the paypal app on my 3GS all of the time and it works fine. NFC is unnecessary.

DaFace 09-18-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8923869)

Yeah, I'd guess this is accurate for a vast majority of people who root their Android phones. The only apps I use that are root only these days are just the ones that are necessary to be able to root efficiently - Titanium Backup and a couple of file explorers. The apps I use on a day to day basis don't require root.

Instead, I root because I like playing around with different setting systems, launchers, themes, etc. It's more for fun than a need for any specific functionality that's missing.

The ONE functionality I use that is root-only is wireless tethering, and I use that a lot less than I would have expected. I've probably used it 2-3 times in the past six months.

DaFace 09-18-2012 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaQue (Post 8924333)
Who really cares about NFC? You guys actually "bump" or use S Beam? I mean really? And the paypal thing....I use the paypal app on my 3GS all of the time and it works fine. NFC is unnecessary.

I've never used it in that way, but I've used Google Wallet quite a bit to pay for stuff. It's fun to see cashiers look confused when you do it.

That's one of those things that is only marginally useful right now, but could be pretty cool if they can get it to take off.

Fish 09-18-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8924332)
I can't jailbreak it since it's technically not mine. But this is nice to know. Thanks!

Is there any way to prevent driver installation from automatically installing iTunes when I plug in the device?

Sure. That's Apple's Mobile Device Driver. Go to Programs and Features, and uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support and Apple Application Support entries. That will uninstall the service that monitors USB for when you plug in your device so that it can spring iTunes out of the bushes like a damn burglar. That type of behavior pisses me off..

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 09:05 AM

lol SWPYE ****ing sucks -- who gives a shit about the majority of this list? I'll admit the micro-hdmi port would be sweet, though.

DaFace 09-18-2012 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8924382)
lol SWPYE ****ing sucks -- who gives a shit about the majority of this list? I'll admit the micro-hdmi port would be sweet, though.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of Swype. I'd be lost without SwiftKey, though.

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8924384)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Swype. I'd be lost without SwiftKey, though.

SwiftKey is great. Its prediction is fantastic and really does save a lot of keystrokes.
What kind of phone do you have?

Fish 09-18-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

I have to agree. I didn't like Swype at all.

And if you want HDMI out for your iOS device, the Apple Digital A/V adapter works very well. I have XBMC on my iPad, and I can output that via HDMI. Very handy for traveling and such. Output 1080p is purtty.

I have no idea if they'll have a solution for new devices using the Lightning connector though. Reducing the pinout like they did has removed the video out functionality according to Apple. That's a hot load of horse shit as far as I'm concerned.

DaFace 09-18-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QuikSsurfer (Post 8924416)
SwiftKey is great. Its prediction is fantastic and really does save a lot of keystrokes.
What kind of phone do you have?

Galaxy Nexus

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924422)

And if you want HDMI out for your iOS device, the Apple Digital A/V adapter works very well. I have XBMC on my iPad, and I can output that via HDMI. Very handy for traveling and such. Output 1080p is purtty.

I have no idea if they'll have a solution for new devices using the Lightning connector though. Reducing the pinout like they did has removed the video out functionality according to Apple. That's a hot load of horse shit as far as I'm concerned.

Sexxxy

DaFace 09-18-2012 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924422)

I'd be dumbfounded if they didn't have SOME way to do video output.

kaplin42 09-18-2012 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8924127)

Dropbox FTW.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924372)
Sure. That's Apple's Mobile Device Driver. Go to Programs and Features, and uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support and Apple Application Support entries. That will uninstall the service that monitors USB for when you plug in your device so that it can spring iTunes out of the bushes like a damn burglar. That type of behavior pisses me off..

Sweet, thanks!

htismaqe 09-18-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplin42 (Post 8924570)
Dropbox FTW.

No internet connection. Mentioned this already. ;)

DaveNull 09-18-2012 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8924453)
I'd be dumbfounded if they didn't have SOME way to do video output.

AirPlay. I use AirVideo to pipe video (any format including AVI and MKV) stored on my server to the TV all the time. Audio too, for that matter.

Plugging a phone or an iPad into a TV across the room seems like ~2003 when I had RCA cables going from my laptop to my stereo.

AirPlay was supposed to be some kind of published standard, but not a lot of AV outfits seem to have picked it up. They're trying to get rid of cables and connectors all together at this point, which is the way of the future.

Quote:

we'd love to be able to carry the same amount of content around with us without having to pick and choose what stays at home.
It's called iTunes match. I can get to all my music whenever I want.

Either of these do require digging a little deeper into the whole Apple ecosystem than just buying one thing without any additional services, but it all works really really well together.

L.A. Chieffan 09-18-2012 12:42 PM

Swype owns. When I pick up an iphone and try to type I get headaches it sucks so bad.

htismaqe 09-18-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8925143)
Either of these do require digging a little deeper into the whole Apple ecosystem than just buying one thing without any additional services, but it all works really really well together.

What if we don't want all of the additional services? What if we just want the device to work like every other device we have? Oh that's right, Apple can't gouge us for money if they allow that.

I've got the same types of services with Google as well as on my own NAS at home.

Fish 09-18-2012 02:17 PM

This just in.... Apple evidently added a "Laser keyboard" and "Holographic display" to its new model....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6668cxupH98?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silly reporter found an online video of several concept ideas that dont' exist, and went ahead and attributed it to the new phone....

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8925478)
This just in.... Apple evidently added a "Laser keyboard" and "Holographic display" to its new model....

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6668cxupH98?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silly reporter found an online video of several concept ideas that dont' exist, and went ahead and attributed it to the new phone....

lol I saw this earlier.. Ohhh Fox. It's like their iPhone research consisted of going to youtube and typing "iphone 5".

vailpass 09-18-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

I love Swype and can hammer out text faster than any non-Swyper. Real words, not text abbreviations.

QuikSsurfer 09-18-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 8925498)
I love Swype and can hammer out text faster than any non-Swyper. Real words, not text abbreviations.

bet mother****er!

Pablo 09-18-2012 02:42 PM

Swype is great.

aturnis 09-18-2012 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 8923738)
Yep.

A lot of lemmings in the world today...

It's not a bad thing. Economic analysts have been projecting that the iphone 5 would help boost the economy quite a bit...

Quote:

In a note to clients on Monday, Feroli said sales of the smartphone could add between 0.25% to 0.5% to fourth quarter annualized growth in the U.S., Reuters reported.

“Calculated using the so-called retail control method, sales of iPhone 5 could boost annualized GDP growth by $3.2 billion, or $12.8 billion at an annual rate,” he wrote.

Analysts at the financial services firm project that Apple will sell 8 million iPhone 5s in the fourth quarter, each with an expected sales price of around $600, according to Reuters.

With $200 in discounted import component costs, the U.S. government can include $400 per phone into its GDP for the fourth quarter, the agency said.

Feroli added that his estimate for annualized growth should be met with some skepticism, as it “seems fairly large,” but emphasized that “recent evidence is consistent with this projection.”

He pointed to the iPhone 4S’s strong sales — which outperformed expectations — when it launched last October.

AustinChief 09-18-2012 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8926212)
It's not a bad thing. Economic analysts have been projecting that the iphone 5 would help boost the economy quite a bit...

And they are idiots.

In reality, it is either a SLIGHT positive(negligible) or more likely a NEGATIVE due to the fact that a large amount of that money goes to only two places. Apple's cash reserves and China.

The ONLY way it adds to the economy even slightly is if people are spending out of saving on the iPhone (and they weren't planning to buy a new phone anytime soon).. otherwise that money would have been spent regardless, and likely in a way where the money would be spread around and go back into more spending.

This is all based on one note from one guy who made huge assumptions and didn't look at the bigger picture. If you look online there are plenty of economists who have debunked this already. BUT that's not what people want to hear so it isn't as popular.

DaveNull 09-18-2012 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8925248)
I've got the same types of services with Google as well as on my own NAS at home.

Good for you.

Quote:

What if we don't want all of the additional services?
Then you can sell monitoring and sales of your behavior to Google. Looks like that's working out for you already.

Quote:

What if we just want the device to work like every other device we have?
Who is "we" exactly? Everything seems fine over here. Maybe you should think before acquiring incompatible hardware next time.

DaveNull 09-18-2012 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8926352)
And they are idiots.

In reality, it is either a SLIGHT positive(negligible) or more likely a NEGATIVE due to the fact that a large amount of that money goes to only two places. Apple's cash reserves and China.

The ONLY way it adds to the economy even slightly is if people are spending out of saving on the iPhone (and they weren't planning to buy a new phone anytime soon).. otherwise that money would have been spent regardless, and likely in a way where the money would be spread around and go back into more spending.

This is all based on one note from one guy who made huge assumptions and didn't look at the bigger picture. If you look online there are plenty of economists who have debunked this already. BUT that's not what people want to hear so it isn't as popular.

I suppose that stock growth hasn't done anything for anyone over the past 10 years or so, right?

AustinChief 09-18-2012 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8926411)
I suppose that stock growth hasn't done anything for anyone over the past 10 years or so, right?

Come on dude? Get realistic. This entire "report" is based on the assumption that NONE of these people would have bought a new phone anyway AND that they are paying for it from savings instead of by NOT SPENDING the money elsewhere. Go on and believe that it's going to be a GENUINE boost for the economy. It's ludicrous and no serious economist who takes the time to look at the big picture will agree with you but if it makes you feel good, fine.

Buehler445 09-18-2012 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 8926212)

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8926352)
And they are idiots.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8926477)
Come on dude? Get realistic. This entire "report" is based on the assumption that NONE of these people would have bought a new phone anyway AND that they are paying for it from savings instead of by NOT SPENDING the money elsewhere. Go on and believe that it's going to be a GENUINE boost for the economy. It's ludicrous and no serious economist who takes the time to look at the big picture will agree with you but if it makes you feel good, fine.

Kyle is 100% accurate. Consumers have no more spending power than before. All they are doing is itemizing Apples share of it.

BWillie 09-18-2012 11:40 PM

In other news, the Samsung Note 2 is headed for AT&T Oct 21. Rumored to be heading to Verizon, Sprint, and tmobile as well

DaveNull 09-19-2012 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8926477)

I'll take the fact that the report about the economy being boosted is BS. I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about this:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/share/im...RGMNLBGI2Aaaaa

In response to your comment about "all the money goes to china or corporate cash reserves."

ZepSinger 09-19-2012 06:40 AM

Awesome sarcastic slams on the features(or lack thereof) on the iPhone5... :evil:

10 Ways Android still beats the iPhone5

SOURCE

Apple may be patting itself on the back over its move from a 3.5-inch to a 4-inch display, but in the smartphone size race, the iPhone 5 trails the field by a wide margin.

Congratulations iPhone 5 users! You now get an extra row of icons that you didn't have with the iPhone 4 and 4S. That means you can see your TweetDeck icon and tap on it without scrolling over. The Times Square billboard writes itself: "iPhone 5: Now with More Icons!"

Apple doesn't gamble on immature technologies so perhaps its understandable that the company has yet to include this new-fangled thing called "email attachments" on its iPhone 5.

Instead of MasterCard's Tap and Pay, you'll be using tap and pray as you rap your fingers on a table and hope that Apple provides NFC support on the iPhone 6 in 2013.

So what happens when you plug the iPhone 5 into your PC? You get access the digital camera (DCIM) folder only so all you can do is drag and drop pictures. Yes, you can iTunes to transfer media files back and forth, but you still can't go directly into file system because Apple just doesn't trust you enough to let you see the folders on the iPhone 5 that you bought from them. Whose phone is it anyway?

With the iPhone 5, you can have any keyboard you want as long as its the stock iOS 6 keyboard.

Why not just use micro USB like every other company? Then you couldn't make a mint selling proprietary wires and making every iPhone 4S owner that upgrades buy new accessories, because older iPhones had an even larger proprietary dock connector.

The default Safari browser and iOS photo gallery apps can only share to Facebook, Twitter, Email and messaging. Google, Flickr, Pinterest, Google Talk, and any of 100 other services need not apply.

htismaqe 09-19-2012 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8926410)
Then you can sell monitoring and sales of your behavior to Google. Looks like that's working out for you already.

ROFL

You think Apple doesn't do market analytics using your cloud-stored data?

ROFL

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8926410)
Who is "we" exactly? Everything seems fine over here. Maybe you should think before acquiring incompatible hardware next time.

"We" would be those of us that don't want the invasiveness of Apple's software practices. Based on this thread alone, that would be more people than just "me".

As for how I "acquired" the device, apparently you didn't bother to read.

htismaqe 09-19-2012 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8924372)

Hey Fish,

Is there an app I can get for my iPad that will let me browse SMB or NFS shares on my home NAS and download files?

Fish 09-19-2012 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8927090)
Hey Fish,

Is there an app I can get for my iPad that will let me browse SMB or NFS shares on my home NAS and download files?

Yeah sure. There's lots of ways to do that. Depending on your NAS, you may be able to do that directly from the web browser. Put the IP of you NAS in the web browser.

A better solution, that would offer ease of transferring files to and from, would be an app like Filebrowser. That will let you save to and from the iPad easily. I use this app on occasion, and it's pretty handy. It has templates for connecting to different devices like WinPC, OSX, Linux, NAS, etc.

It also lets you attach any file and send it as an attachment from the iPad. Which is a really handy feature since you can't do that natively. Select any file from the iPad's Home folder, or from your NAS once that's connected, click on the file where it has a little (>) arrow, and a dropdown appears where you can attach that file in an e-mail.

You can even forward a port through your router, and have that available away from home. So you could access your home NAS from work and such.

htismaqe 09-19-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Fish (Post 8927163)
Yeah sure. There's lots of ways to do that. Depending on your NAS, you may be able to do that directly from the web browser. Put the IP of you NAS in the web browser.

A better solution, that would offer ease of transferring files to and from, would be an app like Filebrowser. That will let you save to and from the iPad easily. I use this app on occasion, and it's pretty handy. It has templates for connecting to different devices like WinPC, OSX, Linux, NAS, etc.

It also lets you attach any file and send it as an attachment from the iPad. Which is a really handy feature since you can't do that natively. Select any file from the iPad's Home folder, or from your NAS once that's connected, click on the file where it has a little (>) arrow, and a dropdown appears where you can attach that file in an e-mail.

You can even forward a port through your router, and have that available away from home. So you could access your home NAS from work and such.

I did find FileBrowser but I have a philosophical aversion to paying for apps. I guess I may have to break down and buy it.

Fish 09-19-2012 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZepSinger (Post 8927045)
Awesome sarcastic slams on the features(or lack thereof) on the iPhone5... :evil:

10 Ways Android still beats the iPhone5

SOURCE

Apple may be patting itself on the back over its move from a 3.5-inch to a 4-inch display, but in the smartphone size race, the iPhone 5 trails the field by a wide margin.

Congratulations iPhone 5 users! You now get an extra row of icons that you didn't have with the iPhone 4 and 4S. That means you can see your TweetDeck icon and tap on it without scrolling over. The Times Square billboard writes itself: "iPhone 5: Now with More Icons!"

Apple doesn't gamble on immature technologies so perhaps its understandable that the company has yet to include this new-fangled thing called "email attachments" on its iPhone 5.

Instead of MasterCard's Tap and Pay, you'll be using tap and pray as you rap your fingers on a table and hope that Apple provides NFC support on the iPhone 6 in 2013.

So what happens when you plug the iPhone 5 into your PC? You get access the digital camera (DCIM) folder only so all you can do is drag and drop pictures. Yes, you can iTunes to transfer media files back and forth, but you still can't go directly into file system because Apple just doesn't trust you enough to let you see the folders on the iPhone 5 that you bought from them. Whose phone is it anyway?

With the iPhone 5, you can have any keyboard you want as long as its the stock iOS 6 keyboard.

Why not just use micro USB like every other company? Then you couldn't make a mint selling proprietary wires and making every iPhone 4S owner that upgrades buy new accessories, because older iPhones had an even larger proprietary dock connector.

The default Safari browser and iOS photo gallery apps can only share to Facebook, Twitter, Email and messaging. Google, Flickr, Pinterest, Google Talk, and any of 100 other services need not apply.

There's quite a bit of inaccuracy in this to be honest.

You can receive or send just about any kind of attachment in iOS. I just outlined one method in the previous post.

NFC is somewhat debatable. And we've discussed it already. While I would have personally really liked to see NFC on iPhone5, there are lots of reasons why it's not that big of a deal right now. For one, NFC support has met resistance so far in the market. Currently there aren't many available outlets using it. AustinChief has pointed out more than I thought there were, but it's still in infancy as far as adoption. Currently, there's only a handful of locations in the KC area that support Google Wallet and Paypass:
http://imageshack.us/a/img27/2396/sc...20919at921.jpg

Less than a year ago, Verizon was blocking Google Wallet from their new phones: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...y-concern.html

They have just recently changed their minds and said they would support it on current phones. But NFC is far from being established as a sure bet.

Regarding connecting your phone to a PC, that's also misinformed. Apple has always allowed access to the sandboxed Home folder in iOS. I posted a response above as well showing exactly how to access that, and it doesn't require jailbreak. And FYI, this is the exact same behavior as Android. Android also does not "Trust" users with the full file system. They also sandbox a Home folder in exactly the same way. You can't access the full filesystem in Android unless you root. Permissions prevent that. (Whose phone is it anyway?)

As far as the keyboard, that's another reason I jailbreak. Here's a keyboard I made for my iPad:

http://imageshack.us/a/img440/6603/mehwa.png

The question about MicroUSB connector has been hashed and argued in the Apple connector thread. This author, like so many other people other than AC, wanted the iPhone5 to use MicroUSB. But it's been shown the the MicroUSB is insufficient for several reasons. It doesn't have enough pins, and doesn't provide sufficient amperage to charge all iDevices. A newer 11pin MicroUSB3vB would have been sufficient for addressing most of that. But that still would have required the same connector change for all users, including all those other companies that currently use MicroUSB.

I'm not exactly sure what they're talking about regarding Safari and sharing to online services. You can use any service you want. Personally, I use the Chrome browser on iOS, which is infinitely better than Safari.

DaveNull 09-19-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8927062)
ROFL

You think Apple doesn't do market analytics using your cloud-stored data?

They do, but it turns out their business model is built on selling things like phones, computers, tablets and software instead of selling advertising.

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 8927194)
I did find FileBrowser but I have a philosophical aversion to paying for apps. I guess I may have to break down and buy it.

Oh..you think that time spent writing software has no value?

Since NFC has come up again, I suppose that one thing that the iPhone can't do is get owned via NFC.

Quote:

We could then use Mercury’s capabilities to exfiltrate user data from the device to a remote listener, including dumping SMS and contact databases, or initiating a call to a premium rate number.
Source

Buehler445 09-19-2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8927022)
I'll take the fact that the report about the economy being boosted is BS. I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about this:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/share/im...RGMNLBGI2Aaaaa

In response to your comment about "all the money goes to china or corporate cash reserves."

LOL WUT.

The revenue generated absolutely does not go to the stock price. The stock price is up. So what? There is a correlation between revenue and stock price but still, nothing is contributed to the GDP. Investors would simply invest in something else.

I guess I'm missing what you're getting at.

htismaqe 09-19-2012 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8927271)
Oh..you think that time spent writing software has no value?

I donate money to open source projects ALL THE TIME. I prefer to invest my money in software AFTER it has proven of value.

DaveNull 09-19-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 8927323)
LOL WUT.

The revenue generated absolutely does not go to the stock price. The stock price is up. So what? There is a correlation between revenue and stock price but still, nothing is contributed to the GDP. Investors would simply invest in something else.

I guess I'm missing what you're getting at.

The implication made was that Apple doing well does nothing but benefit China and their cash reserves. I'm not saying that stock price has anything to do with GDP...in fact I think that article was crap as well.

Buehler445 09-19-2012 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8927438)
The implication made was that Apple doing well does nothing but benefit China and their cash reserves. I'm not saying that stock price has anything to do with GDP...in fact I think that article was crap as well.

Stock price does very little to show that other things benefit from Apples iPhone other than China and the cash reserves.

Your best bet is to point to that collassal corporate headquarters they are building and the employees in it. The economic benefit from the employment and capital expenditures do much more than the stock price.

DaveNull 09-19-2012 01:02 PM

So all these mutual funds that have invested in AAPL have seen no benefit? You're missing my point big time.

Buehler445 09-19-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8927798)

No. But they'd invest in another company if apple weren't around. Let's not pretend like they're causing people to invest that otherwise wouldn't have.

DaveNull 09-19-2012 03:29 PM

No, dumb dumb. My point is that those mutual funds have more value because of their investment than they would have if they'd invested in, lets say, RIM.

AustinChief 09-19-2012 04:15 PM

Another thing that should be on the list...

#9 Inductive Charging

DaveNull 09-19-2012 04:33 PM

The Pre did that, right?

AustinChief 09-19-2012 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8928426)
The Pre did that, right?

Yep, they were the first major one.. now there are a bunch.. most notably the new Nokia's do inductive charging. Could be a big win for them.

WoodDraw 09-19-2012 06:03 PM

I don't understand the purpose of inductive charging. What's the attraction to it?

DaFace 09-19-2012 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WoodDraw (Post 8928641)
I don't understand the purpose of inductive charging. What's the attraction to it?

You don't have to plug it in to charge. That's about it.

AustinChief 09-19-2012 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 8928667)
You don't have to plug it in to charge. That's about it.

It eliminates(for the most part) one of the most common points of failure. The plug. The constant plugging/unplugging increases chances for breakage.

It really is nice to just drop down a phone or tablet down to charge instead of plugging it in... plus if you look at the NOKIA it uses NFC to let you drop the phone on a speaker and get both charging and music playback. Pretty cool.

Bewbies 09-19-2012 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AustinChief (Post 8928689)
It eliminates(for the most part) one of the most common points of failure. The plug. The constant plugging/unplugging increases chances for breakage.

This is one area my iPhone has whipped my old HTC. I went through 4 HTC's in one year due to this problem (among everything else that sucked about it)

Buehler445 09-19-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveNull (Post 8928221)
No, dumb dumb. My point is that those mutual funds have more value because of their investment than they would have if they'd invested in, lets say, RIM.

Oh please. I could say apple detracted from the economy because it couldn't perform like December corn over the last year. I can't post a chart from my phone but look up December corn on a weekly continuation chart and then acknowledge that apple detracted from the economy because the mutual funds could have picked up December corn instead.