ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Stanzi has become another Pioli zombie (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265012)

BossChief 10-11-2012 09:32 PM

Stanzi has become another Pioli zombie

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...4-e66e3a357502

Stanzi on performance during the preseason and preparation for upcoming game:

“The preseason is a great chance to learn, obviously, and I think that is what we did as a team and we’re still trying to build off of that. Every week we’re trying to learn from our mistakes and build on those, go to the next week and try to get better. I know it’s cliché, but that’s really all you can do in any type of situation you get in –whether you’re winning or losing – you have to take it one game at a time, one practice at a time and just try to get better.”

Lots or those word things, absolutely no substance.

Discuss Thrower 10-11-2012 09:35 PM

I hate Pioli but you can't seriously think this is different than what 95% of football players say across the country..

htismaqe 10-11-2012 09:37 PM

Stanzi is dead to me. Collateral damage.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 09:38 PM

Those extra $$$ Pioli is spending on brainwashing sessions appear to be paying off.

chiefzilla1501 10-11-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004074)
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article...4-e66e3a357502

Stanzi on performance during the preseason and preparation for upcoming game:

“The preseason is a great chance to learn, obviously, and I think that is what we did as a team and we’re still trying to build off of that. Every week we’re trying to learn from our mistakes and build on those, go to the next week and try to get better. I know it’s cliché, but that’s really all you can do in any type of situation you get in –whether you’re winning or losing – you have to take it one game at a time, one practice at a time and just try to get better.”

Lots or those word things, absolutely no substance.

When's the last time we became super fans of any specific player? Our players have no personality. They talk off scripts. We don't see them on TV or radio shows. I enjoy watching Jamaal Charles. But I'm not the fan of him that i was of Trent Green or Priest Holmes. I'm just not.

I mentioned this on the "banner" thread. I don't think we realize until we truly think about it how stripped we are of the fan experience. These guys used to feel like our own. Now they feel like strangers who play in our stadium.

Pioli seriously needs to go. Even if we win, Arrowhead will NEVER be the same until we lift these bullshit player / coach media restrictions.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 09:41 PM

Looks like my evaluation of Stanzi was correct.

The real Ricky Stanzi died, and now there's this shitty robot Ricky Stanzi taking his place, who stinks it up in the preseason instead of shines, and who says ****ing stupid Patriot Way bullshit because he was programmed that way.

htismaqe 10-11-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004115)

The real Ricky Stanzi died, and now there's this shitty robot Ricky Stanzi taking his place, who stinks it up in the preseason instead of shines, and who says ****ing stupid Patriot Way bullshit because he was programmed that way.

Yep.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9004101)
When's the last time we became super fans of any specific player? Our players have no personality. They talk off scripts. We don't see them on TV or radio shows. I enjoy watching Jamaal Charles. But I'm not the fan of him that i was of Trent Green or Priest Holmes. I'm just not.

I mentioned this on the "banner" thread. I don't think we realize until we truly think about it how stripped we are of the fan experience. These guys used to feel like our own. Now they feel like strangers who play in our stadium.

Pioli seriously needs to go. Even if we win, Arrowhead will NEVER be the same until we lift these bullshit player / coach media restrictions.

I'll bet Pioli layed awake for weeks straight in 2010 when Shaun Smith was on the team.

BossChief 10-11-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004115)

Its sad, really.

Maybe he is just trying to say the "right things" because he realizes his time might be coming?

Stanzi will end this year as the teams starting quarterback.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 09:46 PM

The only people that expected anything more from Stanzi were Iowa fans.

htismaqe 10-11-2012 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004138)

Doubtful. But might as well keep hoping. The alternative is shitty.

BossChief 10-11-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004145)

Those were the only posters that saw the kid play for more than one game.

Keep acting like some highly respected posters on here didnt/dont think the kid could be a good pro.

htismaqe 10-11-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Bullshit.

He was a VERY good college QB, clutch in big games.

To dismiss what might have been potential as "homerism" is just flat being disingenuous.

Lots of people here wanted Kirk Cousins who is a poor man's Ricky Stanzi.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

I'm a Badger fan. I hate Iowa. And I thought Ricky Stanzi had a good shot to be starter-quality material in the NFL.

Well, better than Matt Cassel anyway.

BossChief 10-11-2012 09:51 PM

SNR
Htismaque
Iowanian
Phobia
BossChief

You know what, its not worth listing any more...nobody is gonna change their opinion on the kid.

Time will tell his story and I think he ends the season as the teams starter.

In58men 10-11-2012 09:52 PM

Football players are so ****ing fake. They'll never what they want. They're ****ing robots

O.city 10-11-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

With the ease of getting to fans thru social media these days, I don't think things will ever be that way again.

Teams everywhere are locking guys down about this stuff, which IMO, makes the league worse.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004159)
I'm a Badger fan. I hate Iowa. And I thought Ricky Stanzi had a good shot to be starter-quality material in the NFL.

Well, at least he can make a nice ponytail when needed

BossChief 10-11-2012 09:55 PM

Hey, Dane...read this before you throw Stanzi under the bus again.

http://fantasyfootballmetrics.com/Pl..._2-23-2011.htm

NFL DRAFT 2011 - QB
By R.C. Fischer

NFL Draft 2011: Statistical Analysis of Ricky Stanzi, the Best QB in the 2011 NFL Draft and/or the next Tom Brady?

*An on-going series of putting college QBs in our mathematical analysis. We don’t have all the needed data until the 2011 NFL Combine results, but we can assume some of it (for now) and we have all the game performance/statistics.

See this link for details on the College QB rating system -- Predicting the Unpredictable…Projecting a College QB to the NFL with a Mathematical Formula

Ricky Stanzi, Iowa - NFL Draft 2011

I know you are going to find this completely insane...

New readers, I may have already lost you with the title...but bear with me on this. At worst, this will just be an interesting read and something you will say "no way" to. At best, this will be a tremendous call and huge validation for our mathematical model's ability to project college QBs to the NFL. (I also have a few years to hide from it potentially too!)

I have to confess I did not watch many Iowa Hawkeye football games this season. As the college QBs start their journey to the NFL, I get more interested for the Fantasy Football aspect. This season, I was aware of the usual "big names" -- Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Mallett and had been intrigued by Andy Dalton...but I have to say when I saw Ricky Stanzi's name on a list -- I wondered, "how did he make it in the QBs list for the 2011 NFL Draft"? Don't ask me why I had that reaction, I just know I did. Big-10 bias (against), maybe? Flashbacks to Chuck Long, perhaps? Whatever the reason, I just had an irrational gut reaction. Which is why I love what I do, I try to eliminate the emotional and just rely on the data. Not knowing Stanzi, I was curious as how the analysis would turn out.

As I input the key game/tougher opponent game data for Ricky Stanzi into our algorithm for analyzing college QBs, I just kept saying "that's pretty good" after each game entered...and it just kept rolling. Before I went to take a look at Stanzi's overall total score in our system I thought, "this could be pretty good". When I did finally look at the overall rating, it wasn't good -- it was great. It was college-to-NFL projected "elite". High up on the list wedged in-between Carson Palmer and Mark Sanchez, and slightly above Philip Rivers and Aaron Rodgers. I had to go back check a 2nd and 3rd time to see if I had made an error. No error...

Can Ricky Stanzi really be a future elite NFL QB? Can he really be the # 1 overall best QB (according to our system right now)? Right now he is for us. A lot of this potential stardom projection is riding on his Wonderlic scores from the NFL Combine, a bad score can tumble Stanzi right out of great and into maybe good or mediocre. Assuming an average/good Wonderlic score, Ricky Stanzi is the hidden gem QB of 2011.

What about Stanzi makes him pop in our system?

NO Red-flags in our system!

We found multiple things that future NFL elite QB's had in common in college. Subsequently, we found things future NFL bust/weak QB's had in common as well -- we called them, simply, "red-flag metrics". Some red-flags for the QBs are historical killers (90%+ probable), such as -- QB's with low Wonderlic scores, "short" (in height) QB's, high or low ratios on key advanced metrics we have on various passing stats. Just one red-flag is one foot in the grave for their future NFL elite prospects, 2 red-flags is almost an assured question mark on even being good in the NFL, 3+ red-flags is almost guaranteed a bust in our system (3+ red-flag QB examples in our system = Ryan Leaf, Tim Tebow, Chad Henne, Max Hall, Rex Grossman, Derek Anderson and Tavaris Jackson...among others. Jay Cutler is the probably the best NFL QB with 3+ red-flags in our system).

No red-flags is just not avoiding trouble, it is several key metrics that when we look back at history -- the QBs with particular red-flags in our system were not as good as hyped and/or "busted" from lofty expectations. Perhaps a list of current QBs in our mathematical system that have NO red-flags, will impress you on the fact that Ricky Stanzi could be special.

The 14 QBs with no red-flags of 60+ studied in the last decade (and a few outside of the last decade) *in alphabetical order:

Bradford, Sam
Brady, Tom
Elway, John (sketchy, we have yet to be able fully break him down due to some missing data...but of what we have, he has none)
Flacco, Joe
Kolb, Kevin
Leftwich, Byron
Luck, Andrew
Manning, Peyton
Palmer, Carson
Pike, Tony (may not belong here, we have a sketchy Wonderlic data point we have assumed neutral until we know...but if bad, he would fall off list)
Pennington, Chad
Rodgers, Aaron
Roethlisberger, Ben
Sanchez, Mark
14 QBs with no red-flags. Take away Andrew Luck because he is not even draft eligible. Take away John Elway and Tony Pike, because of some possible data question marks on our end and we have 11 QB's who have played in the NFL -- with 9 of the 11 (82%) as good, great and good/potentially great on this list. The 2 misses in our system so far are (1) Byron Leftwich is not elite, maybe not even good. (2) Kevin Kolb is incomplete (however, I think he will ultimately be star of this magnitude...those of you that have been with the site awhile know my Kolb love affair). If Kolb hits, then our NO red-flag indicator for future success would be up to a 91% accuracy of predicting NFL good/greatness.

It's a laundry list of mostly impressive QBs. Now add to that list Ricky Stanzi, the only 2011 QB prospect with no red-flags in our system currently. (Andrew Luck would have been too). I'm as shocked as you are...Ricky Stanzi, really?

Great against better competition

Stanzi had 3 major tests in conference in 2010, a Big-10 Conference in which Stanzi has started for 3 seasons...and these teams have a book on him. Facing Wisconsin (11-2), Michigan State (11-2) and Ohio State (12-1), Stanzi put up the following stats:

7 Passing TDs and NO Interceptions

The elite QBs of the NFL threw for between 15-19 Pass Attempts per Passing TD in "key" games, and some QBs hit as low (good) as 10-12 Pass Attempts per Passing TD. Stanzi averaged a very low (good) 11.9 Passing TDs per Pass Attempts in these 3 big matchups

Besides a stellar/perfect NO interceptions in these big 3 games, Stanzi hit on a 67.4% Completion Percentage as well

Iowa/Stanzi played the Arizona Wildcats this season, coached by defensive guru Mike Stoops. Stoops/Arizona only allowed two QBs to throw for 3+ TDs in a game against them this season -- not Andrew Luck (he had 2), but it was Oregon's Darron Thomas and yes...Ricky Stanzi.

Better than Gabbert in the 2010 Bowl Game vs. Missouri?

This may be crazy talk too, but hang with me...

Stanzi statistically bombed in one game in 2010 -- the Insight Bowl Game matchup against Missouri. Stanzi had no TDs and 2 INTs. Stanzi's only 2 INT game of the season. In that game Blaine Gabbert had 434 yards passing and won the hearts of everyone who just watched the game from a stat tally perspective. But was Gabbert really the better QB that day?

434 yards for Gabbert is awesome, but it was on 57 Pass Attempts. Stanzi only had 21 pass attempts in this game, in part because Iowa RB Marcus Coker had 33 carries for 219 yards. Why pass if you can run all over Mizzu, and win (which Iowa did)? Looking at the passing productivity by breaking it down to the view from the per passing attempts...a quick look at Gabbert vs. Stanzi in the Bowl Game from a different perspective:

Yards per Pass Attempt = 7.6 for Gabbert, 9.5 for Stanzi

Yards per Completion = 10.6 for Gabbert, 18.2 for Stanzi

If both QBs equally had 35 pass attempts at their above pace, Gabbert would have thrown for 266 yards to Stanzi's 332.

Not to say Stanzi had a great game...because it was his worst game of 2010. It's to point out that looking only at the totals -- Stanzi vs. Gabbert total stats in this game would have made Stanzi forgettable and Gabbert brilliant, but it really had to do more with Pass Attempt totals. Stanzi wasn't as bad as it seemed, and Gabbert wasn't near as impressive as his 434 yards would show. Gabbert also threw 2 INTs as well in this game (like Stanzi), and 1 TD.

Ricky Stanzi as the next Tom Brady?

Blasphemy I know...

Please keep in mind, I have no loyalty to the University of Iowa. I had seen Ricky Stanzi play a little before I started this research. Of what I remember, I didn't really remember anything great (or bad). Stanzi never registered anything in my mind. This statement comparing him to Brady is just as crazy to me as it is to you. However, I am now suddenly very intrigued (and hand-cuffed) to Ricky Stanzi with this statement.

When I went into to see why Stanzi was so good in our ratings, it wasn't just one good thing (it never is to achieve the scores the future elites ultimately did). It's just that Stanzi is well above average in every metric we judge, with no red-flags or outliers. His numbers parallel nicely against the best of today's NFL QBs data in college. When I started filtering Stanzi's metrics in our system and considered similar QBs around his height and weight...out popped Tom Brady. What is eerie and cheesy about that is, when I started researching Stanzi more because of the high score that popped up in our system analysis -- I went and watched some game tape and when I looked at him I exclaimed, "he looks just like Tom Brady". Tall, thin, accurate, steady. When I then filtered our college QB database of metrics and Brady was sitting there as a best match, I was amazed and felt weird at the same time. It's cliché' to say "the next Tom Brady", but the numbers are saying -- Ricky Stanzi might be the next Tom Brady.

A few key metrics on Brady & Stanzi below:

"Adj" means just key games/better competition -- weighted for strength of opponent

"per 35 att" numbers are the key games, weighted for strength of opponent and then translated into an average as if every QB had an equal 35 Pass Attempts per game all the time, and thus what would each QB produce if they had 35 passes per game based on the key games their final college season.

QB Yr College H W adj Comp Pct Adj Yds per Comp adj Pass Att per TD adj Pass Att Per INT Yds per game 35 Att TDs per game 35 Att INTs per game 35 Att
Brady, Tom 1999 Michigan 76.3 211 64.6% 11.8 15.0 37.9 266.3 2.3 0.9
Stanzi, Ricky 2010 Iowa 76.1 221 63.6% 12.5 15.5 57.7 277.6 2.3 0.6
A respected scouting report on Brady in 2000 pre-draft (found on a Google search) = "Poor build, very skinny and narrow, lacks mobility and the ability to avoid the rush, lacks a strong arm."

A scouting report I just read on Stanzi = "Average arm, nothing spectacular about his throws...Not a great runner...Limited ceiling because of his average physical talents..."

Ricky Stanzi Overall Score = 1.012

*see historical rating chart on link to original study = Predicting the Unpredictable…Projecting a College QB to the NFL with a Mathematical Formula

As I re-examine the numbers, another thing that is rare on Stanzi is -- that as we refine the numbers to looking at just the better opponents, then adding in a weighted system to the most difficult opponents -- that is where Stanzi's passing metrics actually increase. Where most all other QBs in our mathematical system tail off a little (understandably with facing the toughest competition) as we "weight" the stats for opponents difficulty...Stanzi actually improves his performance against the better competition.

All this is great for Ricky Stanzi now, but we're still assuming some data. If Stanzi bombs or underperforms the Wonderlic...no more Tom Brady comparisons, and down he will fall from possible elite to possible just mediocre/good. If Stanzi scores well on the Wonderlic don't be shocked if Stanzi starts moving from a current potential 4-5th Round pick to a 2nd-3rd Round pick...and then don't be shocked if he actually becomes a first round actual selection...you heard it here first (again, unless he bombs the Wonderlic). If Stanzi doesn't work his way into the 1st Round -- I'll bet a "smart" team snags Stanzi (like a NE, PIT, PHI, SD, etc) in the 2nd-3rd Round.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004159)

Oh, and I was also lukewarm on Russell Wilson in this draft. And I thought Kirk Cousins was complete garbage.

A LOT of people who aren't Hawkeye fans watched Stanzi play in college, then saw his 2011 preseason, and made the determination that there was something in him that was worthy of being investigated. He was by far the best QB in that 2011 preseason in spite of only getting time with the 3s.

I really have no clue what happened to him this year. He choked hard. It looked like playbook troubles, like he didn't know what the hell he was doing. If that's the case, then he's an idiot for spending nearly all of the offseason working out instead of being the best mentally prepared guy he could be.

-King- 10-11-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 9004087)
I hate Pioli but you can't seriously think this is different than what 95% of football players say across the country..

This.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004176)
SNR
Htismaque
Iowanian
Phobia
BossChief

You know what, its not worth listing any more...nobody is gonna change their opinion on the kid.

Time will tell his story and I think he ends the season as the teams starter.

aturnis and rico, too.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004189)
Hey, Dane...read this before you throw Stanzi under the bus again.

Dude, JFC, get a grip.

First off, I'm not going to read that ****ing bullshit because I DON'T GIVE **** ABOUT RICKY STANZI.

Secondly, you're the guy the started a thread a few years back stating we should draft Stanzi in the second. I countered that Stanzi was *maybe* worth a fifth rounder and I caught a bunch of shit for saying that.

Well, guess what?

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004195)
aturnis and rico, too.

Direckshun, Sacapoo (who is a good poster when he isnt talking about the OL) and plenty of other posters here, too.

I could dig up the post where Milkman compared him in some ways to Terry Bradsaw...

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004202)
Dude, JFC, get a grip.

First off, I'm not going to read that ****ing bullshit because I DON'T GIVE **** ABOUT RICKY STANZI.

Secondly, you're the guy the started a thread a few years back stating we should draft Stanzi in the second. I countered that Stanzi was *maybe* worth a fifth rounder and I caught a bunch of shit for saying that.

Well, guess what?

Then dont act "informed" about a quarterback you watched less than one game of.

That post gives you everything you would ever need to know about how Stanzi played IN BIG GAMES.

If you chose to ignore FACTS, so be it.

WADR you just make yourself look ignorant by doing so.

Its whatever.

Phobia 10-11-2012 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004192)
I really have no clue what happened to him this year.

I do. You want me to catch you up?

Ghost of Maslowski 10-11-2012 10:07 PM

with all due respect to his fans, Stanzi is simply the latest incarnation of the same QB the Chiefs draft in the mid-to-late rounds every so often. He never gets to play except in the preseason, and after a year or three on the bench, he is quietly released, never to be seen or heard from again by that name. He's been called Killian and Barnes and many other similarly obscure names in the past, but rest assured, it's always the same guy.

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here are the stills of some of the shit Stanzi is getting blamed for in preseason...

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
these are the ball placement on his interception

that was a damn good pass...

The Bad Guy 10-11-2012 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004138)
Its sad, really.

Maybe he is just trying to say the "right things" because he realizes his time might be coming?

And our draft position will be better off for it.

The guy sucks. I know you have a massive chub for him, but c'mon. The guy is never going to live up to the hype you've thrown at him on this board.

tk13 10-11-2012 10:13 PM

The Loch Ness Monster photos have more clarity than those images. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be looking for a football or Nessie.

Otter 10-11-2012 10:15 PM

Heh a "Pioli Zombie". Sad but correct. Heil to the Fuher or lose die job!!!! Sad part is when ur dead and looking back you know you should have said "**** you" and that's why I like Pioli, good or bad.

At least he had the balls.

-King- 10-11-2012 10:17 PM

Wow. Bosschief is back to defending Stanzi's preseason performance?

RealSNR 10-11-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004218)
I do. You want me to catch you up?

I mean, yeah, he had shit protection, but then that doesn't explain last year when he had shit protection yet fought and clawed and kept plays alive all the time.

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:18 PM

post 28 shows the stills of Stanzi getting his head almost ripped off against St Louis...Jeff Allen getting thrown back into him the second his back foot hit from his drop and the ball placement on the pass that Breaston dropped.

Post 29 shows the ball placement on the fluke tipped interception he threw.

Sorry for the snipping tool quality...I'm a total n00b at using such tools.

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9004267)
Wow. Bosschief is back to defending Stanzi's preseason performance?

I dont give up on my stance in a discussion easily. :)

I think the kid is gonna end the year as the teams starter and will give us some excitement.

Phobia 10-11-2012 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004268)
I mean, yeah, he had shit protection, but then that doesn't explain last year when he had shit protection yet fought and clawed and kept plays alive all the time.

It was worse this year. I have him at 9/18 in preseason with at LEAST 5 dropped balls. I know he was hit at least 5x and most of the time he had a defender in his face before he even got set. I've accepted that he's backup to the backup and I'm okay with that. But I think most people are judging him on one pathetic 4th down play in which he fumbled in desperation to outrun pursuit of 3 defenders. Many fans questioned, "why didn't he just get rid of the ball?" Heh. Ridiculous. Dude got screwed mostly by whatever line cook was suited up at LT when he was taking snaps.

Phobia 10-11-2012 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004274)
I think the kid is gonna end the year as the teams starter and will give us some excitement.

I think you're nuts. Dude will never see the field. The guy who compared him to every other obscure drafted Chiefs QB earlier in the thread was probably right.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004282)
It was worse this year. I have him at 9/18 in preseason with at LEAST 5 dropped balls. I know he was hit at least 5x and most of the time he had a defender in his face before he even got set. I've accepted that he's backup to the backup and I'm okay with that. But I think most people are judging him on one pathetic 4th down play in which he fumbled in desperation to outrun pursuit of 3 defenders. Many fans questioned, "why didn't he just get rid of the ball?" Heh. Ridiculous. Dude got screwed mostly by whatever line cook was suited up at LT when he was taking snaps.

I wasn't able to watch the last two preseason games (listened to them on kcfx). I have a hard time believing that the protection he had was worse than our 3rd string offensive line last year. In both the Tampa and the Baltimore game. I mean, it was literally less than one second several times when Stanzi would snap the ball and have a defender immediately up his ass. He evaded THOSE plays, but couldn't make anything out of THESE protections.

I mean, it could just be that our offensive coaches are so terrible that they're REGRESSING our players. I mean, you heard Jim Zorn tutoring Cassel in training camp. Fans were pissed because Cassel is Captain Checkdown, and there Zorn is trying to get Cassel to take the safe option MORE OFTEN.

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004282)

:thumb:

Honestly, I think I am partially at fault for voicing my opinions of Ricky at the volume I did pre and post draft and that got the expectation level up to a level that was nearly impossible to achieve and the moment things didnt go well for the kid, people placed the blame on him for other players faults.

Its also like you said earlier, that fans of KC see the results of the play and are just quick to throw the QB under the bus because it seems like a broken record with that position in KC.

If Quinn doesnt catch lightening in a bottle, Stanzi will get a chance and I think this team will rally around one of the two.

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004286)
I think you're nuts. Dude will never see the field. The guy who compared him to every other obscure drafted Chiefs QB earlier in the thread was probably right.

I am gonna keep hope alive that I dont have to see Cassel all year and that if Quinn shits the bed, the next time Cassel comes out, it will be for Ricky.

If Im wrong, oh well. Cant win em all.

Phobia 10-11-2012 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004295)
I am gonna keep hope alive that I dont have to see Cassel all year and that if Quinn shits the bed, the next time Cassel comes out, it will be for Ricky.

If Im wrong, oh well. Cant win em all.

It's not an indictment on Stanzi. It's the Chiefs and the NFL in general. If teams don't have much invested in a kid and he doesn't catch the right eyes, he'll languish in obscurity and move onto his next career. Let's be honest, most QB's in this league earn their jobs due to injury. Even Tom Terrific got his job when golden boy Drew Bledsoe was injured. If Drew never goes down, maybe Tommy is the guy who is out of the league working in an accounting office.

chiefzilla1501 10-11-2012 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9004184)
With the ease of getting to fans thru social media these days, I don't think things will ever be that way again.

Teams everywhere are locking guys down about this stuff, which IMO, makes the league worse.

Sadly, this isn't just about social media. This is about our players not being allowed to have any personality. Do you think Ozzie Newsome tells Ray Lewis to limit his personality or to do interviews with ESPN?

The Chiefs have purposely distanced the players from the media. We don't even see fluff pieces anymore. We don't care about players anymore. They're no longer players we connect with. They've become employees to a business we support.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9004156)
Bullshit.

He was a VERY good college QB, clutch in big games.

To dismiss what might have been potential as "homerism" is just flat being disingenuous.

Lots of people here wanted Kirk Cousins who is a poor man's Ricky Stanzi.

Then why was he a fifth rounder?

Do you know what Kirk Cousins, in five NFL games, has done that Ricky Stanzi hasn't in 37 games?

Throw a touchdown pass.

NJChiefsFan 10-11-2012 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9004307)
Sadly, this isn't just about social media. This is about our players not being allowed to have any personality. Do you think Ozzie Newsome tells Ray Lewis to limit his personality or to do interviews with ESPN?

The Chiefs have purposely distanced the players from the media. We don't even see fluff pieces anymore. We don't care about players anymore. They're no longer players we connect with. They've become employees to a business we support.

Unless they have something to say to the fans. Then they are given all the rope they want.

Psyko Tek 10-11-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

ricochet topic
anybody remember charles barkley?
he had no ****s to give
revitalized PHX suns
and so did the redkneck not to be named in KC
the patriots way only works for the combo they have there
\

Phobia 10-11-2012 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004308)

Do you know what Kirk Cousins, in five NFL games, has done that Ricky Stanzi hasn't in 37 games?

Throw a touchdown pass.

Wait, what? 37 games? This is Stanzi's second year in the NFL. He hasn't even put on pads but maybe once the week Orton signed but dressed in street clothes. How is a kid supposed to throw a TD pass when he's not even active?

keg in kc 10-11-2012 10:47 PM

If there's anybody more popular than a backup quarterback, it's the backup's backup, especially if for whatever reason people think he's a "quarterback of the future".

As far as turning him into a zombie talking to the press, every player who plays everywhere is a zombie.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004317)
Wait, what? 37 games? This is Stanzi's second year in the NFL. He hasn't even put on pads but maybe once the week Orton signed but dressed in street clothes.

How is a kid supposed to throw a TD pass when he's not even active?

Oops, I lost a season. 21 games. My bad.

As for the second part, it's fairly self-explanatory.

:D

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9004323)
If there's anybody more popular than a backup quarterback, it's the backup's backup, especially if for whatever reason people think he's a "quarterback of the future".

As far as turning him into a zombie talking to the press, every player who plays everywhere is a zombie.

I'm not sure if Matt Blundin and Mike Elkins were ever popular.

IIRC, no one cared for Steve Fuller, either.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004308)

Throw a touchdown pass.

Tyler Palko has won an NFL game. Brodie Croyle has not.

However, Tyler Palko is NOT a better QB than Brodie Croyle.

Kirk Cousins is LUCKIER than Ricky Stanzi for being drafted by the right team and getting a chance to sit behind a QB who tends to stick his nose in places it doesn't belong

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:53 PM

21 NFL games have been played since Stanzi was drafted.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004330)
Tyler Palko has won an NFL game. Brodie Croyle has not.

However, Tyler Palko is NOT a better QB than Brodie Croyle.

Kirk Cousins is LUCKIER than Ricky Stanzi for being drafted by the right team and getting a chance to sit behind a QB who tends to stick his nose in places it doesn't belong

You're right, of course.

How could I not see that Cousins was a Stanzi clone and that Stanzi is better than anyone on the Chiefs roster?

Whoa is me.

PS: If Ricky ****ing Stanzi played at the University of San Diego, there wouldn't be one mother****ing post in this forum about him or his abilities.

Phobia 10-11-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9004323)

I think Chiefs fans are hungry for a home grown product. We'll take anybody but especially if it's a guy from an area school like KU, K-state, Mizzou, Iowa, Nebraska, OU, etc. I don't think it's the end for Stanzi just yet but he's out of the picture this year, especially if Cassel has been cleared.

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004334)
You're right, of course.

How could I not see that Cousins was a Stanzi clone and that Stanzi is better than anyone on the Chiefs roster?

Whoa is me.

Do you think Cousins is a better QB than Stanzi?

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004336)
I think Chiefs fans are hungry for a home grown product. We'll take anybody but especially if it's a guy from an area school like KU, K-state, Mizzou, Iowa, Nebraska, OU, etc. I don't think it's the end for Stanzi just yet but he's out of the picture this year, especially if Cassel has been cleared.

Romeo said today that Cassel hasnt even been cleared to practice yet.

the guys at 610 lied or there is something fishy going on behind the scenes.

I still think Romeo wants Cassel benched permanently and have a lot of evidence going into that opinion..

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004337)

I have no idea. I do know that Cousins has a TD pass in fifth game in relief of RGIII.

Why is it that you act as if it's a fact?

keg in kc 10-11-2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004337)

I always thought they were the same damn guy.

Cousins is better at this moment.

BossChief 10-11-2012 10:59 PM

When did I do that? I simply asked a question.

I saw 3 years of Stanzi and think he can play in this league and that by years end will get a chance to do just that.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004334)
You're right, of course.

Whoa is me.

What? I told you earlier that my stance on Stanzi was informed by his college career and 2011 preseason. I consider it a ****ing travesty that he wasn't allowed on the field last year in the midst of Cassel's and Palko's numerous **** ups. He got Patriot Way'd hard. In the ****ing ass. I feel bad for the kid.

This 2012 preseason has shown me that Stanzi deserved to lose the #2 job to Brady Quinn. I have since then backed away from my previous evaluations of him. But I still maintain that from what I saw in 2011, under a fair QB competition, Stanzi should have been our starting QB.

Are you also going to tell me that TJ Yates has a bright future in the NFL because he's won a playoff game? And Tebow! Don't forget Tebow either!

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004336)

If the Chiefs win enough games to miss out on Geno Smith, but not enough to miss on Barkley, I can already hear the chants.

"Just another USC failure". "He sucks". "Just like Cassel".

If Geno's gone, look for another defensive lineman in the first round. Those guys are really important.

And Pioli won't want a repeat performance, warranted or not.

BossChief 10-11-2012 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9004341)
I always thought they were the same damn guy.

Cousins is better at this moment.

I see Cousins as a "safer" quarterback as Stanzi is more of a gun slinger with a stronger arm and better in big games.

Other than that, I think they are similar in some ways.

Phobia 10-11-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004346)
If the Chiefs win enough games to miss out on Geno Smith, but not enough to miss on Barkley, I can already hear the chants.

We've both followed this team long enough to know that is EXACTLY what will happen. They'll probably even go 7-9, just enough to get out of the top 12.

keg in kc 10-11-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004343)
I saw 3 years of Stanzi and think he can play in this league and that by years end will get a chance to do just that.

I saw 3 years of Stanzi and think he's a career backup at best.

Of course that's just an opinion, not a fact, and sometimes people surprise you.

NJChiefsFan 10-11-2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004350)
We've both followed this team long enough to know that is EXACTLY what will happen. They'll probably even go 7-9, just enough to get out of the top 12.

These next two games are pretty big. Two tough games follow after that. If we managed to lose the next two momentum could go our way for once. Although PIT proved again tonight they are capable of losing to anyone.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9004345)
What? I told you earlier that my stance on Stanzi was informed by his college career and 2011 preseason. I consider it a ****ing travesty that he wasn't allowed on the field last year in the midst of Cassel's and Palko's numerous **** ups. He got Patriot Way'd hard. In the ****ing ass. I feel bad for the kid.

If Pioli is the "Puppet Master" that's been described the past few days, I'd say it's clear he wasn't ready to play in 2011.

Quote:

This 2012 preseason has shown me that Stanzi deserved to lose the #2 job to Brady Quinn. I have since then backed away from my previous evaluations of him. But I still maintain that from what I saw in 2011, under a fair QB competition, Stanzi should have been our starting QB.

I can neither agree or dispute this claim. Palko and Haley were awful. Cassel and Haley were awful. I'm guessing that Stanzi and Haley would have been atrocious.

Quote:

Are you also going to tell me that TJ Yates has a bright future in the NFL because he's won a playoff game? And Tebow! Don't forget Tebow either!

From this post, I'm guessing your standing long jump is about 10'2.

Did I overestimate or under?

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004350)

If, for once in my life, I stopped watching and following the team this season, would the result be any different?

:D

NJChiefsFan 10-11-2012 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004354)

I can neither agree or dispute this claim. Palko and Haley were awful. Cassel and Haley were awful.

I'm not sure Palko could be a good combo with any coach ever. Cassel right about there as well.

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 11:09 PM

One more thing:

I've never been to Iowa. I don't know what the university is like, the people, the atmosphere, the food, the beds, the bugs or the weather.

That said, I've NEVER, in 12 years on the 'Planet, EVER, seen such an obsession over a fifth round draft choice, regardless of position, EVER.

Mike Peterson was Superman back in the day. That was funny for about 10 minutes, then became annoying for a few months until he was drafted. But Stanzi?

When will this shit ****ing end?

BossChief 10-11-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 9004351)
I saw 3 years of Stanzi and think he's a career backup at best.

Of course that's just an opinion, not a fact, and sometimes people surprise you.

He could very well end up as a career backup and that's why I championed Tannehill and RG3 so hard last year...I was one of a handful of guys that wanted us to move up to take Tannnehill.

When I say "I think Stanzi ends the year as the starter" that just means I see him as better than either Quinn or Cassel...that's all.

Time will tell if I'm wrong or not.

Ace Gunner 10-11-2012 11:16 PM

Stanzi played horrible during exhibition season. If Quinn goes down and Stanzi is forced to play, I think he's going to get murdered out there.

RealSNR 10-11-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004354)

From this post, I'm guessing your standing long jump is about 10'2.

Did I overestimate or under?

It's just shy of your best long jump when you used the line about Kirk Cousins and his first TD pass

BossChief 10-11-2012 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004358)
One more thing:

I've never been to Iowa. I don't know what the university is like, the people, the atmosphere, the food, the beds, the bugs or the weather.

That said, I've NEVER, in 12 years on the 'Planet, EVER, seen such an obsession over a fifth round draft choice, regardless of position, EVER.

Mike Peterson was Superman back in the day. That was funny for about 10 minutes, then became annoying for a few months until he was drafted. But Stanzi?

When he is cut and not before.

You have to realize the proximity of Kinnick to Arrowhead and the fact that Stanzi won 3 bowl games for the Hawkeyes.

NJChiefsFan 10-11-2012 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9004358)
One more thing:

I think it was the perfect storm. You have a guy from a school people like. You have him on a team that has barely made any effort to draft a QB. Hell a 5th round QB is nearly ground breaking for this organization. Add to that the epic hate towards Cassel and the desire for us to finally get a QB of our own. Sprinkle a decent look in preseason 2011.

I do think at this point the love has died down a considerable amount, especially considering that the starting QB has finally gone down and the screaming for Stanzi is not very loud. I would like to see him just so we can clear Cassel and Quinn and know we are going to go after a QB next year.

Phobia 10-11-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9004359)
Time will tell if I'm wrong or not.

Not really. Circumstances will tell. If a big sensitive RT decides to fall on his face and Quinn gets destroyed maybe Stanzi gets a chance.

Titty Meat 10-11-2012 11:27 PM

I want Stanzi to play too because it means the Chiefs will be picking top 5

DaneMcCloud 10-11-2012 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004370)
Not really. Circumstances will tell. If a big sensitive RT decides to fall on his face and Quinn gets destroyed maybe Stanzi gets a chance.

Right Tackle is a sensitive position, so I have to give him somewhat of a break.

Of course, I'm basing my opinion on the last eight ****ing pussies that have manned that position since 2005, so my sympathies by be a little skewed.

Phobia 10-11-2012 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9004374)
I want Stanzi to play too because it means the Chiefs will be picking top 5

Never saw this post coming.

Titty Meat 10-11-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9004381)
Never saw this post coming.

They guy fell apart mentally against 3rd stringers and has been active for what 1 game in 2 seasons?

Phobia 10-11-2012 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9004388)
They guy fell apart mentally against 3rd stringers

Not really. Besides, that's rather irrelevant in your mind. You've always hated him.
Quote:

and has been active for what 1 game in 2 seasons?
Yeah. That's how it works for 3rd string quarterbacks. They don't dress. Not sure of your real point there. Besides, we're only 5 games into the 2nd season and he'll dress out in Tampa. Is dressing out critical to your opinion?