ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I was this close () from becoming Pavement Man. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265328)

Rain Man 10-17-2012 08:49 PM

I was this close () from becoming Pavement Man.

I was walking home and was crossing an intersection north to south. There was a one-way street coming north, and a two way street going east to west. A fellow pulled up on the west side hoping to make a left onto the one-way, but there were cars.

So I'm crossing the street, and I swear he glanced over and saw me. But right as I got next to his hood ornament he saw a break in traffic and thought he could go. He gunned it and bammo!

There was no chance of dodging. I did the Heisman trophy pose and stiff-armed his hood, and he hit the brakes before he actually got into my body, but dang, it was close. I got around to the side of his vehicle, we looked at each other, and then he gunned it out of there. Never apologized, never asked if I was okay, nothing. A couple of pedestrians came up and asked me if I was okay, so it was enough of a hit that it got people's attention.

I've got a sore wrist from hitting his hood, so I hope I at least dented it a little.

And I got his plate number, but I'll cut him a break. He just got caught up looking south at the traffic on the one-way and didn't think about a pedestrian coming the other way. But he still should've stopped and said something.

Simply Red 10-17-2012 08:50 PM

The lord works in mysterious ways.

DeezNutz 10-17-2012 08:50 PM

Was it Pioli?

Simply Red 10-17-2012 08:51 PM

Glad you're ok.

J Diddy 10-17-2012 08:51 PM

I'm going to start a new thread to share my thoughts on this.

Hope you're alright.

AustinChief 10-17-2012 08:53 PM

Pavement Man? Is this yet another superhero identity you've created for yourself?

Not sure this one has much traction.

Simply Red 10-17-2012 08:53 PM

That's crazy - morons, they're everywhere.

ClevelandBronco 10-17-2012 08:53 PM

Great news that you're relatively unscathed. Tough call on whether to involve the authorities. I'd be tempted to get the cops to check whether he'd had a beer or five.

Frazod 10-17-2012 08:54 PM

I would have called the police immediately. **** that guy.

teedubya 10-17-2012 08:54 PM

You almost got killed by a Broncos fan. This is very saddening.

Marcellus 10-17-2012 08:56 PM

If you had been running that never would have happened.

milkman 10-17-2012 08:56 PM

Name change?

FAX 10-17-2012 08:56 PM

Dang, Mr. Rain Man. Glad you're okay.

In honor of your survival, I shall assist you with a poll to celebrate your good fortune.

Poll: How close was it?

A) This close.
B) That close.
C) Close enough, by God.
D) Too close for comfort.
E) Close enough to use the same toothpick.
F) Close as two coats of paint.
G) Too close to call.
H) Close enough to count in horseshoes.
I) Gazzy Wazzy.

FAX

DeezNutz 10-17-2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9026629)
If you had been running that never would have happened.

Or on a mountain. Always take the mountain route to and from work.

milkman 10-17-2012 08:57 PM

This is why I don't walk.

If I hit a pedestrian, I'll be fine.

Bugeater 10-17-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 9026631)

In honor of your survival, I shall assist you with a poll to celebrate your good fortune.

A) This close.
B) That close.
C) Close enough, by God.
G) Too close to call.
I) Gazzy Wazzy.

FAX

That could've been an entirely new thread.

Frazod 10-17-2012 08:58 PM

Some prick almost took out my wife while she was crossing the street earlier in the year. He didn't actually hit her, but she had to leap out of the way and the ****er didn't even slow down. Didn't get a plate number. We did look for the car a bit but she couldn't identify it.

Simply Red 10-17-2012 08:59 PM

Always expect the unexpected when you're 100 yards or further from your crib. Always have an exit out.

Rain Man 10-17-2012 08:59 PM

Quote:

A) This close.
B) That close.
C) Close enough, by God.
G) Too close to call.
I) Gazzy Wazzy.

FAX

I would definitely go for Option D.

LiveSteam 10-17-2012 09:00 PM

I would have shot his tires out

Rasputin 10-17-2012 09:02 PM

Quote:

A) This close.
B) That close.
C) Close enough, by God.
G) Too close to call.
I) Gazzy Wazzy.

FAX

Poll fail. Rain Man likes the Omaha Omaha Omaha option over Gaz now days. So it must have been Omaha Omaha Omaha run for -2yards close.

Hammock Parties 10-17-2012 09:04 PM

I like being Rain Man's facebook friend, because now I get little status update trailers for his Chiefsplanet threads. It's very exciting.

Rain Man 10-17-2012 09:08 PM

(My wrist hurts now.)

On a slightly different note, we have this big parkway near our house that's east-west, and is configured like this: bike lane, road lane, big wide grassy area, road lane, bike lane. It's very residential, so it's not busy at all.

At one point it intersects with a slightly busy street, so there's a light. We often do take the boulevard to the slightly busy street and then turn right to go to the mall.

Well, if you miss the light, you're sitting there waiting for it to turn so you can make your right, and meanwhile the bikers are going about their business. It's very lightly traveled, so you may see a couple of bikes, but never more than that.

When the light turns green and I want to make my right, occasionally there'll be a bike coming up in the bike lane. Now, if the bike wants to go straight, he/she is going to cross the path of my right turn. But I'm there first. I always make sure to not go and let the bike go, but I'm surprised at how they never seem cautious about it. If I'm on a bike and I see a car at the light with it's right turn signal on as the light is turning green, I'm not just going to blithely keep cruising right into its path and trust that it sees me. People making right turns are not inclined to look in their right mirror. I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more people hit at that intersection.

And I presume that the bikes have the right of way, but it's just weird that I'm there ahead of them and am supposed to notice them passing me on the right when my light turns green.

Rain Man 10-17-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9026653)
I like being Rain Man's facebook friend, because now I get little status update trailers for his Chiefsplanet threads. It's very exciting.

I feel kind of guilty about that. It's like I'm some tiresome bore repeating my story at a dinner party.

stevieray 10-17-2012 09:16 PM

...those one ways in and out from downtown, capitol hill up to wash park were always crazy hazardous...glad you had your radar on!!

Buehler445 10-17-2012 09:36 PM

Glad you're not dead, Rainman.

BoneKrusher 10-17-2012 09:38 PM

wow, glad you're safe Bro, sounds like a close call.

KS Smitty 10-17-2012 09:43 PM

I'm glad you're ok. Pavement Man is nowhere near as cool as Rain Man.

Dr. Johnny Fever 10-17-2012 10:11 PM

RM if you die can I have your Dr. Pepper?

Imon Yourside 10-17-2012 10:14 PM

You made it through, now move on to do some near death experience vids.

NJChiefsFan 10-17-2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9026660)

When the light turns green and I want to make my right, occasionally there'll be a bike coming up in the bike lane. Now, if the bike wants to go straight, he/she is going to cross the path of my right turn. But I'm there first. I always make sure to not go and let the bike go, but I'm surprised at how they never seem cautious about it. If I'm on a bike and I see a car at the light with it's right turn signal on as the light is turning green, I'm not just going to blithely keep cruising right into its path and trust that it sees me. People making right turns are not inclined to look in their right mirror. I'm kind of surprised that there aren't more people hit at that intersection.

And I presume that the bikes have the right of way, but it's just weird that I'm there ahead of them and am supposed to notice them passing me on the right when my light turns green.

Bikers don't seem to understand that right or wrong, if a car makes the first move, they are in trouble. I respect people wanting to bike and exercise and all that, but they don't seem to know cars exist. I enjoy when there are like 3 of them in a row and one will swing out into the road without warning right as I am coming up on them.

DaFace 10-17-2012 10:22 PM

Glad you're not dead. I'd be sad that I took the day off right after you became roadkill.

Dayze 10-17-2012 10:30 PM

Rain Man,

I'm sincerely happy that you survived such a close encounter with death. The Planet would not be the same without you.

However, you could quite possibly turn this near catastrophic event into a lucrative business. You could corner the market on 'dark' Greeting Cards. And by 'Dark', I don't mean greatings from Wesley Snipes.

Use your near death encounter for inspiration. Kick off your line of dark greeting cards with your inagural card:

"Glad You're Not Dead"

though, using that exact greeting may entitle Buehler and DaFace to royalties. Make them relinquish their royalty rights in exchange for $20 in Applebee's gift cards and call it a square dea. Screw those guys.

FAX 10-17-2012 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9026854)
Rain Man,

I'm sincerely happy that you survived such a close encounter with death. The Planet would not be the same without you.

However, you could quite possibly turn this near catastrophic event into a lucrative business. You could corner the market on 'dark' Greeting Cards. And by 'Dark', I don't mean greatings from Wesley Snipes.

Use your near death encounter for inspiration. Kick off your line of dark greeting cards with your inagural card:

"Glad You're Not Dead"

though, using that exact greeting may entitle Buehler and DaFace to royalties. Make them relinquish their royalty rights in exchange for $20 in Applebee's gift cards and call it a square dea. Screw those guys.

That's a dang good idea, right there, Mr. Dayze.

"Glad you're not dead."
"Chin up, someday there'll be a cure for oral herpes."
"Hear you're under the weather. You could be sicker eventually."

There's a world of possibilities.

FAX

Dayze 10-17-2012 10:53 PM

"So, you have a sinus infection. It could be worse. You could have a sucking chest wound created by a ball of lead shot fired from Civil War re-enactment club".

Though, admittedly, that market would be pretty slim. Especially in states west of the Mississippi.

it's an untapped resource of cash.

we can split the profits right down the middle . 60/60.

cdcox 10-17-2012 10:54 PM

Yikes. Western HQ of Sandbox almost wiped out. Eastern HQ would have been bummed.

SPchief 10-17-2012 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9026837)
Bikers don't seem to understand that right or wrong, if a car makes the first move, they are in trouble. I respect people wanting to bike and exercise and all that, but they don't seem to know cars exist. I enjoy when there are like 3 of them in a row and one will swing out into the road without warning right as I am coming up on them.

Riders have the same right away as cars.

SPchief 10-17-2012 11:00 PM

If you see someone on a bike, you move over if possible or slow down if it's not.

Inspector 10-18-2012 06:25 AM

I knew a guy who started calling himself "Asphalt Man".

We thought he was starting a driveway business or something.

Turns out he had rectal polyps and that inspired his name change.

Ace Gunner 10-18-2012 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9026607)
I was walking home and was crossing an intersection north to south. There was a one-way street coming north, and a two way street going east to west. A fellow pulled up on the west side hoping to make a left onto the one-way, but there were cars.

So I'm crossing the street, and I swear he glanced over and saw me. But right as I got next to his hood ornament he saw a break in traffic and thought he could go. He gunned it and bammo!

There was no chance of dodging. I did the Heisman trophy pose and stiff-armed his hood, and he hit the brakes before he actually got into my body, but dang, it was close. I got around to the side of his vehicle, we looked at each other, and then he gunned it out of there. Never apologized, never asked if I was okay, nothing. A couple of pedestrians came up and asked me if I was okay, so it was enough of a hit that it got people's attention.

I've got a sore wrist from hitting his hood, so I hope I at least dented it a little.

And I got his plate number, but I'll cut him a break. He just got caught up looking south at the traffic on the one-way and didn't think about a pedestrian coming the other way. But he still should've stopped and said something.

Good call. I know it's odd to most ppl. It's called humanity. **** "zero tolerance" nazis.

007 10-18-2012 06:37 AM

Glad you are ok man.

bevischief 10-18-2012 06:43 AM

Glad your safe.

TimeForWasp 10-18-2012 06:47 AM

Glad you are ok, but why do they hate Vikings fans so much in Denver?

Hog's Gone Fishin 10-18-2012 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 9026638)
Some prick almost took out my wife while she was crossing the street earlier in the year. He didn't actually hit her, but she had to leap out of the way and the ****er didn't even slow down. Didn't get a plate number. We did look for the car a bit but she couldn't identify it.

ROFL

threebag 10-18-2012 07:20 AM

Pavement Man....Bring on Eddie Vedder...

Bwana 10-18-2012 07:22 AM

Did he have giant horse like teeth? Perhaps a Liquored up John Elway took a run at you?

BlackHelicopters 10-18-2012 07:22 AM

I prefer to hit those people on those scooter things. Moving targets get you bonus points.
Glad you are OK.

ROYC75 10-18-2012 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9026607)

First thing, Glad to hear you are OK.

2nd thing, the guy was careless and a jerk.

3rd thing, It's a damn good thing somebody stole that bicycle and you have not replaced it yet.;)

BTA again, it might be the guy you turned in for stealing that bicycle and he just got out of jail ?:hmmm:

mlyonsd 10-18-2012 09:27 AM

Unless you are positive you've made eye contact don't assume anything.

Start wearing a super hero costume to make sure they notice you.

Frazod 10-18-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9027342)
ROFL

You think it's funny that my wife almost got hit by a car? :spock:

ct 10-18-2012 11:11 AM

Was it one of the black suit pioli zombie goons? Just sending you a message.