ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   ChiefsPlanet Marine amputee taunted out of a bar and grill by Carolina Panther fans (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=265766)

demonhero 10-27-2012 10:32 AM

Marine amputee taunted out of a bar and grill by Carolina Panther fans

http://patdollard.com/2012/10/stop-u...-panther-fans/

Marine Garrett Carnes, of Mooresville, North Carolina attended Sunday’s Carolina Panthers’ game against the Cowboys with his wife Courtney, their parents, and friends Brett and Nicole Coburn. After the game, in which Dallas beat the Panthers, the Marine and his family stopped by Moosehead Grill on Montford Drive. This is where the incident took place.

According to the Charlotte Observer this is what happened:

During a verbal altercation that some witnesses said almost came to blows, one patron allegedly told Carnes he was using his wheelchair “as an excuse.”

In an interview with The Observer, however, the fan said Carnes and members of his party were equally abusive. And he denied making a remark about the Marine’s wheelchair.

The incident happened after Carnes, his wife Courtney, their parents, and friends Brett and Nicole Coburn stopped at the restaurant for dinner after attending the Carolina Panthers’ game against Dallas. Several members of the party, including Garrett Carnes, were wearing Dallas Cowboys jerseys.

“Courtney was the first one out of the vehicle, and while she was getting Garrett’s wheelchair, one guy immediately started yelling at her,” said Brett Coburn, who described the man’s comments as “taunts.”

Coburn said that when the group reached the front door, the fan was waiting for them.

“He was standing at the door, and he started harassing us because of the Cowboys jerseys,” Coburn said.

He said the fan told Garrett Carnes, “Don’t use your wheelchair as a crutch.”

The fan, who did not want to give his name, gave a different account.

“Moosehead is a Panthers’ bar,” he said. “When they came, wearing the Cowboys’ jerseys, I started up on them. I asked them if they were Cowboys fans who lived in North Carolina.”

“I’m not going to fight someone in a wheelchair,” the fan said. “I said to him, ‘I’m not fighting you. Get four of your boys, and I’ll fight them.’ “

According to multiple accounts of the incident, Carnes told the patron – and others who were ridiculing the group for being Cowboys’ fans – that he was a veteran and had lost his legs in Afghanistan.

Members of the Carnes-Coburn party tried to “defend ourselves verbally,” Brett Coburn said.

“We were going back and forth,” the fan said. “Yes, it got out of control.”

The fan said one woman in the Carnes-Coburn party swore at him.

He said the fan walked toward Carnes in a threatening way, and some other patrons stepped in to break it up.

Neilsen said his employees are trained to separate possible combatants, in an effort to defuse such situations. On Sunday, staff members asked Garrett Carnes and his party to leave, while they took the fan to another area of the restaurant.

“It spiraled out of control,” Coburn says.

Courtney Carnes called police, but no charges were filed.

Carnes mother has recently addressed a post to the patrons at the restaurant on facebook: “Why didn’t any of you stand up for my son and daughter? And to think my son almost died for every single person in that bar, by defending all your freedom.”

The owner of the restaurant, Chris Neilsen, arrived soon after the altercation took place. Neilsen said he arrived at the restaurant after the group had left and was in the parking lot, talking to police.“I didn’t want them to leave,” he said of the Carnes-Coburn party, “but I understand why they left. I’m miserable. My heart hurts for them.”

He said the trouble was caused by people who “are not regulars” at the restaurant and added that the fan was not welcome to return.

Hays he is “heartbroken” over the incident in which bantering between football fans got out of control, resulting in a U.S. Marine who lost both legs in Afghanistan being forced to leave the eatery with his wife, parents and friends.

He has been in contact with family members of Marine Garrett Carnes, of Mooresville, following the incident that Neilsen says “was awful.”

“I want to somehow make it right by them,” Neilsen says.

According to several emails we received, the fan who started the confrontation with the Marine, is known by them as “Tank”. But they say he is a regular and “Tank” is his nickname while his real name is Josh Watts.

Here is a story done on the Marine when he was welcomed home: Mooresville Crowd Welcomes Home Wounded Marine

A lot of Marines have also been hammering away at them on Yelp, but it seems the Fan is at fault here for taunting the Marine. The owner was not aware until after the incident happened. Moosehead Grill

The fan told the Observer, “He (Carnes) is a veteran, and I appreciate what he did for this country. But I don’t appreciate how abusive they were.”

In my opinion it was the Fan that caused this, not the restaurant. Although they could have removed the other party instead of the wounded Marine. But here are some pics of the fan that was taunting the Marine, sent to us by a fan who is familiar with the establishment and its patrons.

The Mule↓
http://guardianofvalor.com/wp-conten...2/10/josh3.png

The Marine↓
http://patdollard.com/wp-content/upl...18_306x505.jpg

The Franchise 10-27-2012 10:32 AM

What kind of reerun formatting is that?

The Franchise 10-27-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

A U.S. Marine who lost both his legs in Afghanistan was forced to leave a Charlotte restaurant with his family after local football fans hurled vile abuse at them for wearing Dallas Cowboys jerseys.

Marine Garrett Carnes, of Mooresville, North Carolina attended Sunday’s Carolina Panthers’ game against the Cowboys with his wife Courtney, their parents, and friends Brett and Nicole Coburn.

After the game, which the Cowboys won 19-14, the group stopped at the Moosehead Grill for dinner. Several members of the party, including Garrett Carnes, were proudly wearing their Dallas Cowboys jerseys.

A group of disgruntled Panthers fans spotted their jerseys and started to taunt Carnes and his group even before they entered the restaurant.

‘Courtney was the first one out of the vehicle, and while she was getting Garrett’s wheelchair, one guy immediately started yelling at her,’ Brett Coburn told The Charlotte Observer.

Once in the restaurant, the Panthers fans continued to mock Carnes and his group. One person told Garrett Carnes: ‘Don’t use your wheelchair as a crutch.’

Carnes, who is still undergoing treatment for his wounds at a Washington-area hospital, told them he was a veteran who had lost his legs in Afghanistan.

The situation quickly deteriorated and according to witnesses the two parties almost came to blows after one of the Panthers fans approached Carnes in a threatening manner.

Other patrons stepped in to defuse the situation, but staff asked Garrett Carnes and his party to leave. The police were called by Courtney Carnes, although no charges were filed.

Carnes’ mother, Rhonda, has since addressed a note to restaurant patrons on Facebook. She wrote: ‘Why didn’t any of you stand up for my son and daughter? And to think my son almost died for every single person in that bar, by defending all your freedom.’

A Salt Weapon 10-27-2012 10:36 AM

I'd have stood up for him, Semper Fi brother!
Posted via Mobile Device

In58men 10-27-2012 10:38 AM

This deserves a standing ovation

Canofbier 10-27-2012 10:38 AM

I'm surprised that it wasn't Eric Winston reporting this.

Ultra Peanut 10-27-2012 10:38 AM

If anyone deserved to experience something horrible, it's a Cowboys fan.

KCUnited 10-27-2012 10:41 AM

Stumped as to why people behave like this.

demonhero 10-27-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9053541)

$5 and I could find him and wake him up from his slumber.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/moosehead-grill-charlotte

http://charlotte.citysearch.com/prof...ead_grill.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran..._Carolina.html

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/38/42122...rill-Charlotte

http://www.menuism.com/restaurants/m...arlotte-212175

https://foursquare.com/v/moosehead-g...64a520bda224e3

The Franchise 10-27-2012 10:42 AM

Give that guy a standing ovation.

Imon Yourside 10-27-2012 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9053541)

LMAO

Dallas Chief 10-27-2012 10:43 AM

more Josh Watts fun here...

http://cedarposts.blogspot.com/2012/...have-your.html

Ultra Peanut 10-27-2012 10:44 AM

THAT DOESN'T SOUND FUN AT ALL

demonhero 10-27-2012 10:49 AM

Josh Watts 634 Chipley Ave, Unit 5, Charlotte NC, 28205-7031
Quote:

704-777-8010
704-875-3625

Al Bundy 10-27-2012 10:51 AM

Panthers fans are complete morons.. but Cowpies fans ALWAYS deserve it. THIS is your typical Cowpie fan.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/_MSmvEBwaX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

CoMoChief 10-27-2012 10:53 AM

While the Panthers fans are assholes....

This whole "defending our freedom" stuff has to stop.

The troops over seas now aren't protecting our freedoms..we're not being threatened by some other nation or power.

The people who are threatening our freedoms are the big banks and people who control our monetary system....that's the root of it all.

But go ahead and vote for Obama or Romney...because they'll change shit.

Ultra Peanut 10-27-2012 10:54 AM

Cowboys fans aren't just bandwagoners, they're stuck in the 90s.

Al Bundy 10-27-2012 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 9053567)

I am sure he was wearing an Apex One Aikman jersey.

loochy 10-27-2012 11:05 AM

OK it sounds like every one of them were being dicks. One of the dicks just happened to be an amputee marine. :shrug:

Bump 10-27-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 9053546)
Stumped as to why people behave like this.

alcohol

Bump 10-27-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9053566)

The troops over seas now aren't protecting our freedoms..we're not being threatened by some other nation or power.

The people who are threatening our freedoms are the big banks and people who control our monetary system....that's the root of it all.

well said actually

Big Chief Homer 10-27-2012 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
He reminds me of this guy

crazycoffey 10-27-2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9053589)
well said actually

uhm, you know an american embassy was attacked just last month, right?

Bump 10-27-2012 11:21 AM

I bet the marine could still kick his ass without a sweat

Bugeater 10-27-2012 11:23 AM

Pretty simple solution to this...don't be a Cowboys fan.

Deberg_1990 10-27-2012 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9053581)
OK it sounds like every one of them were being dicks. One of the dicks just happened to be an amputee marine. :shrug:

This, while I appreciate the guys sacrifices and service, it doesn't give him the right to be a drunken a hole to someone.

Imon Yourside 10-27-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9053615)
Pretty simple solution to this...don't be a Cowboys fan.

Nice...Why is Cowboy fan hated? Other than the America's team crap I don't get it.

Al Bundy 10-27-2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9053620)
Nice...Why is Cowboy fan hated? Other than the America's team crap I don't get it.

Have you ever been around them?

Simplicity 10-27-2012 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9053624)

Bunch of "Badasses"

A Salt Weapon 10-27-2012 11:32 AM

Quote:

Good post, but remember the individuals volunteering to serve don't make the decisions on where they are sent. To them, they are still willing to sacrifice their lives to defend this nation.
While I agree with your assessment, that blame needs to be directed to where it belongs, not to the individual soldier that is only going where he is sent to.
Posted via Mobile Device

demonhero 10-27-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

You are entitled to say what you want. Didn't mention if you were a Veteran, so I'm not seeing how you know we aren't being threatened over in jihad land wither it be cyber or military. :hmmm: :p

Start Croyle 10-27-2012 11:33 AM

You know it's serious busienss if your mom writes a complaint on their Facebook page.

Imon Yourside 10-27-2012 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9053624)

Yessir I have a couple of friends who are Cowboy fans and they are very nice but passionate fans. I admit I use to hate them but anymore it doesn't really matter.

Al Bundy 10-27-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9053639)
Yessir I have a couple of friends who are Cowboy fans and they are very nice but passionate fans. I admit I use to hate them but anymore it doesn't really matter.

I have been around them at games they weren't even playing in.... and yeah they are horrible.

Imon Yourside 10-27-2012 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 9053644)
I have been around them at games they weren't even playing in.... and yeah they are horrible.

Must be an NFC thing? My Giant friends are a lot worse than my cowboy friends.

Deberg_1990 10-27-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9053639)

Every team in the league has passionate fans. Cowboys and their fans bring out hatred because they tend to have an certain arrogance and entitlement mentality. But heck, at least they have skins on the wall to back it up, although nothing recent.

LVNHACK 10-27-2012 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 9053542)
If anyone deserved to experience something horrible, it's a Cowboys fan.

Yeah, getting your legs blown off by an ied isn't something horrible.....:rolleyes:

Ultra Peanut 10-27-2012 11:41 AM

Like I said,

crazycoffey 10-27-2012 11:42 AM

Some of those reviews are brutal, but most had me laughing

InChiefsHeaven 10-27-2012 11:44 AM

WTF? This never needed to even happen! It sounds to me like the ****in' Panther fan started it. Get over it, it's just a game. If the Cowboy fans came in and started shit, then they suck too, but it doesn't sound that way according to the story.

And the dude is in a wheelchair. Regardless if he's a Marine, why start shit up with anybody, let alone a dude in a wheelchair?

Lastly, my son is almost done with Marine boot camp. So, I'm suddenly even more sensitive to this shit than I used to be. All our servicemen and women need to be respected for that sacrifice alone. Again, if the dude was really being a dick, maybe he asked for it. But regardless, just leave the guy alone.

Assholes.

Marcellus 10-27-2012 11:58 AM

Quote:

You are a complete ****ing idiot and you make sure to post stupid shit on a regular basis to make sure nobody forgets how ****ing stupid you really are.

ThaVirus 10-27-2012 12:14 PM

Well, he's partly right.

We're doing far more threatening, encroaching, invading, and fighting than any other foreign power.

crazycoffey 10-27-2012 12:23 PM

:facepalm:

Start Croyle 10-27-2012 12:26 PM

It's amazing how people jump to judgement and conclusions so quickly! If you Google around, there's no shortage of people saying that 'The Fan' should be harassed, beat up, leave the state, whatever. They say the bar should be closed or boycotted.

Somebody posted a link to reviews of the bar, which is full of posts by people who have never been there reacting to an internet chain letter. It's funny because nobody posting this stuff was actually there, or knows what really happened or why.

Marcellus 10-27-2012 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 9053738)
Well, he's partly right.

We're doing far more threatening, encroaching, invading, and fighting than any other foreign power.

I am not saying everything the US does or has done is correct, but anybody who thinks all we need to do is leave everyone alone and they will leave us alone is a ****ing idiot.

I am completely amazed how quickly people start to ignore history and its repeatability.

War is part of human existence, always has been, always will be. Either you are proactive in protecting yourself or you become a victim. Its simply a fact that cannot be disputed.

I bought an alarm for my home after I got robbed, it was pretty ****ing stupid to wait until after but I learned from it.

KChiefer 10-27-2012 12:31 PM

http://guardianofvalor.com/wp-conten...2/10/josh3.png

Darth Vodka reporting for doodie

Ultra Peanut 10-27-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9053789)
War is part of human existence, always has been, always will be. Either you are proactive in protecting yourself or you become a victim. Its simply a fact that cannot be disputed.

... USA USA USA

Dallas Chief 10-27-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 9053587)
alcohol

Pot.

Marcellus 10-27-2012 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 9053896)
... USA USA USA

Make sure to quote this part too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 9053789)
I am not saying everything the US does or has done is correct, but anybody who thinks all we need to do is leave everyone alone and they will leave us alone is a ****ing idiot.

Ultra Peanut 10-27-2012 01:16 PM

USA?

Death2CasselFans 10-27-2012 01:17 PM

Quote:

President Bush‘s 9/11 Speech:

-…We will not forget South Korean children gathering to pray outside our embassy in Seoul, or the prayers of sympathy offered at a mosque in Cairo…The terrorists practice a fringe form of Islamic extremism that has been rejected by Muslim scholars and the vast majority of Muslim clerics; a fringe movement that perverts the peaceful teachings of Islam. The terrorists’ directive commands them to kill Christians and Jews, to kill all Americans and make no distinctions among military and civilians, including women and children…I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world. We respect your faith. It’s practiced freely by many millions of Americans and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah BLASPHEME THE NAME OF ALLAH. The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself…In all that lies before us, may God grant us wisdom, and may he watch over the United States of America…”

Ultra Peanut 10-27-2012 01:19 PM

Usa.

CoMoChief 10-27-2012 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barney Stinson (Post 9053612)
uhm, you know an american embassy was attacked just last month, right?

you know our own govt was behind that attack right?

GloryDayz 10-27-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Sounds like you got the rock under your tent at the last "Occupy" event.

GloryDayz 10-27-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ultra Peanut (Post 9053567)

Clearly more than a generation after our last super bowl win. Shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GloryDayz 10-27-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9054312)
you know our own govt was behind that attack right?

OK... Right... I'm by no means and Obama fan and he's looking for some press to paint him as a tough guy, but OK!!

http://exposingthetruth.info/wp-cont...st-lawsuit.jpg

CoMoChief 10-27-2012 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9054347)
Sounds like you got the rock under your tent at the last "Occupy" event.

Sounds like you're brainwashed by the establishment.

GloryDayz 10-27-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9054395)
Sounds like you're brainwashed by the establishment.

LOL, OK. Watch out, here comes the sky. It's all good, don't worry the world will end soon anyway.

Valiant 10-27-2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Chief Homer (Post 9053606)
He reminds me of this guy

What I was thinking.

Phobia 10-27-2012 03:51 PM

Only good part of the entire story is the chick with the white blockhead.

bevischief 10-27-2012 03:58 PM

You don't mess around with Marines or a veteran you never know what will happen next. I am a veteran.

GloryDayz 10-27-2012 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bevischief (Post 9054434)
You don't mess around with Marines or a veteran you never know what will happen next. I am a veteran.

Rep

Imon Yourside 10-27-2012 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phobia (Post 9054411)
Only good part of the entire story is the chick with the white blockhead.

Yup, I doubt too many marines will care that this guy acted like a douche and received douchiness as a present in return. Blockhead vs Jarhead?

stevenidol 10-27-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Death2CasselFans (Post 9053940)
President Bush‘s 9/11 Speech:

-…We will not forget South Korean children gathering to pray outside our embassy in Seoul, or the prayers of sympathy offered at a mosque in Cairo…The terrorists practice a fringe form of Islamic extremism that has been rejected by Muslim scholars and the vast majority of Muslim clerics; a fringe movement that perverts the peaceful teachings of Islam. The terrorists’ directive commands them to kill Christians and Jews, to kill all Americans and make no distinctions among military and civilians, including women and children…I also want to speak tonight directly to Muslims throughout the world. We respect your faith. It’s practiced freely by many millions of Americans and by millions more in countries that America counts as friends. Its teachings are good and peaceful, and those who commit evil in the name of Allah BLASPHEME THE NAME OF ALLAH. The terrorists are traitors to their own faith, trying, in effect, to hijack Islam itself…In all that lies before us, may God grant us wisdom, and may he watch over the United States of America…”

I'd be pissed too if some country had been killing my friends and family for decades. Hell now they can kill my friends and family without one person from that country ever stepping foot on my land because they got a "tip".

CoMoChief 10-27-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Salt Weapon (Post 9053633)
Good post, but remember the individuals volunteering to serve don't make the decisions on where they are sent. To them, they are still willing to sacrifice their lives to defend this nation.
While I agree with your assessment, that blame needs to be directed to where it belongs, not to the individual soldier that is only going where he is sent to.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree what you're saying....I'm just getting really sick and tired of always hearing people use the soldier thing as an excuse. "Well he fought for your freedom." Sorry...no recent soldier of the US military has fought for my freedom. I have respect for people who are willing to put their lives on the line for their country...the only thing is that they're not fighting for their country, they're fighting for special interests.

tooge 10-27-2012 09:56 PM

This is simPle people. If a veteran is just trying to live their life and a jerkspank is acting up to them, step up , be a man, and tell said jerkspank where to go. Nazi muscle boy would get smoked by a mob of pro vets , as it should be. He couldn't wear that dumbass helmet if it wernt for them

Jiu Jitsu Jon 10-27-2012 10:12 PM

Carolina has fans?