ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Will Kaepernicks "Inked Up" look prevent him from being a marketable star? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267236)

Deberg_1990 11-30-2012 09:09 PM

Will Kaepernicks "Inked Up" look prevent him from being a marketable star?

Interesting column

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/stor...contract-draft

San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick is going to be a big-time NFL quarterback. That must make the guys in San Quentin happy.

Approximately 98.7 percent of the inmates at California’s state prison have tattoos. I don’t know that as fact, but I’ve watched enough “Lockup” to know it’s close to accurate.

I’m also pretty sure less than 1.3 percent of NFL quarterbacks have tattoos. There’s a reason for that.

NFL quarterback is the ultimate position of influence and responsibility. He is the CEO of a high-profile organization, and you don’t want your CEO to look like he just got paroled.

Now along comes Kaepernick. Since taking over for Alex Smith two games ago, he has convinced everybody in the Bay area that he’s the second coming of Steve Young.

Smith is coming back from a concussion, ushering in the attendant QB controversy. But he is looking like Wally Pipp and Kaepernick is Lou Gehrig. All I can do is look in the mirror and sigh.

Forgive me, but I suffer from tattoo-ism. I sport no ink, and I don’t want any. I know that attitude qualifies me for an AARP card, and I’ve tried to get with it.

I realize tattoos are ways to pay homage to your religion, children and motorcycle gang. I’m cool with LeBron James looking like an Etch A Sketch.

I still cringe when I go to the gym and see middle-aged women with barbed wire circling their biceps. They have bigger arms than I, so I never make fun. But I can’t shake the notion that a person’s body is a temple, and you don’t cover temples in graffiti.

For dinosaurs like me, NFL quarterbacks were our little Dutch boys. The original hero stuck his finger in the dyke to save Holland. Pro QBs were the last line of defense against the raging sea of ink. When our kids said they wanted a tattoo, we could always point to the Manning brothers.

My guess is Archie would have made Peyton throw an extra 1,000 passes before dinner if he’d come home with a tattoo. The old man knew QBs are different.

Did Sammy Baugh, Johnny Unitas, Doug Williams or Joe Montana have arms covered in ink? Do Tom Brady, Drew Brees or Aaron Rodgers? The world will end when Tim Tebow shows up a tattoo parlor.

It’s not just a white thing, I hope. When the Panthers interviewed Cam Newton, owner Jerry Richardson popped the question.

Do you have any tattoos?” he asked.

“No, sir,” Newton said. “I don’t have any.”

“We want to keep it that way,” Richardson said.

He was OK with body art on other players, including the human canvas that is Jeremy Shockey. But Newton would be the face, arms and legs of the franchise. The boss didn’t want them covered in ink lines.

“Let’s keep it that way,” he told Newton.

I realize not all NFL quarterbacks are pristine. Ben Roethlisberger has a “COURAGE” tattoo on the right side of his upper body. Smith has one honoring his Serbian heritage. They can’t be seen when the players put on their uniforms.

Then there are Michael Vick and Terrelle Pryor. Neither exactly fit the CEO image, unless your CEO has done a stretch in Leavenworth or has gotten Ohio State on probation over free tattoos.

That’s what makes Kaepernick a threat to the stereotype. By all accounts, he’s polite, hard working, humble and has never been to prison. He sounds more like a Tebow who can throw.

Not to get too far ahead of ourselves here, but it’s not hard to envision him leading the 49ers into the playoffs. If not this season, in the years to come.

His ink-covered arms will one day raise the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Imagine the impact that could have.

For one thing, Jerry Richardson would clutch his chest in horror. At the next Pro Bowl, you might spot Peyton by the pool with a Papa John’s logo on his ankle.

Sigh again.

I still think tattoo removal is going to be huge industry in the coming years. But for now, I might as well accept that Holland is probably doomed.

If you can’t draw the tattoo line at NFL quarterback, you can’t draw them anywhere.

SAUTO 11-30-2012 09:11 PM

It's pretty mainstream anymore.

Most people wouldn't think twice about it, I hadn't.
Posted via Mobile Device

KurtCobain 11-30-2012 09:13 PM

This column is such crap.

-King- 11-30-2012 09:13 PM

Stupid article from a stupid person.

KCUnited 11-30-2012 09:13 PM

ROFL

RealSNR 11-30-2012 09:14 PM

Fisty McTatt says this article is bullshit.

Pasta Little Brioni 11-30-2012 09:14 PM

Laaaaaame

chefsos 11-30-2012 09:23 PM

I don't have any tattoos. Don't like 'em; I think they look like shit, but it's a new day and I realize that.

But if Kaepernick plays like a star, marketing people will absolutely have no problem overlooking the tats; they'll probably play 'em up as a matter of fact. And I won't have a problem with it either.

Ace Gunner 11-30-2012 09:25 PM

OMG he'll never sell / '90's moron

Baby Lee 11-30-2012 09:27 PM

I still can't get beyond him looking so much like Key of Key and Peele.

I said . . . . Biiiiiittttttcccchhhh.

Chiefs Pantalones 11-30-2012 09:27 PM

He'll be able to be a sponsor for shows like Ancient Aliens, American Chopper, Inked and I Love Honey Boo Boo. He'll be fine marketing wise.

Ace Gunner 11-30-2012 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9165686)
He'll be able to be a sponsor for shows like Ancient Aliens, American Chopper, Inked and I Love Honey Boo Boo. He'll be fine marketing wise.

oh thank god:D

cdcox 11-30-2012 09:31 PM

I definitely noticed it, and it gave me pause. I quickly dismissed it, because he is... a football player. An entertainer.

It does point out the reality that most people over a certain age (45 or so) don't want to see any visible ink or unusual piercings on people who are in important positions of trust. Yes it is a bias. But if you want to be in a position of responsibility, visible ink puts you at a disadvantage with people that make hiring decisions and make up a good chunk of the market.

JoeyChuckles 11-30-2012 09:32 PM

There's twinges of racism in that article.

Bugeater 11-30-2012 09:33 PM

I have never understood the fascination with tatting up, and probably never will, but I couldn't care less with what others do with their money and bodies.

ThaVirus 11-30-2012 09:34 PM

I'm relatively young and I don't have any tattoos. Not that I think they're any kind of indicator of the type of person you are or negative in any way, I just like my skin being "clean".

I don't think twice about anyone that has tattoos. Unless they're on your neck or hands, then I just assume you're a bit irresponsible and have little foresight.

Dayze 11-30-2012 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9165685)

LMAO. Love that show

mcaj22 11-30-2012 09:35 PM

just like it stopped Lebron James from being marketable

or just about 90 percent of the NBA's Superstars.

BigRedChief 11-30-2012 09:36 PM

We are not that far along as a society. His tats will hurt his income potential. Not saying they should, just my read on the market.

BigRedChief 11-30-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9165706)
just like it stopped Lebron James from being marketable

or just about 90 percent of the NBA's Superstars.

NBA is totally different than football from a marketing perspective.

KCUnited 11-30-2012 09:39 PM

Pioli must have missed the Made In The USA 1987 while on holiday....errrr, scouting Iowa, and that's why Stanzi can't get on the field.

Pepe Silvia 11-30-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 9165685)

That show is funnier than shit. I think the east-west football intros was the best skit.

"Jackmerius Tacktheritrix"

Dayze 11-30-2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9165661)

Surprised he hasn't made an appearance yet. LMAO

cdcox 11-30-2012 09:44 PM

I'm pretty sure Fisty is a long snapper.

mcaj22 11-30-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9165711)

lol

headsnap 11-30-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9165708)
We are not that far along as a society. His tats will hurt his income potential. Not saying they should, just my read on the market.

wrong, IF he becomes a star, his tats will be part of his brand!

Mr_Tomahawk 11-30-2012 09:59 PM

Hammock Parties 11-30-2012 10:05 PM

Cassel should have gotten the playbook tattooed all over his body. He might have been merely below average instead of complete and total shit.

-King- 11-30-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cassel's Reckoning (Post 9165756)
Cassel should have gotten the playbook tattooed all over his body. He might have been merely below average instead of complete and total shit.

His dumb ass would probably get it tattooed on his back.

Brock 11-30-2012 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9165711)

Wow. Yet another subject you're an expert in. You're amazing!

-King- 11-30-2012 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 9165776)
Wow. Yet another subject you're an expert in. You're amazing!

ROFL

KcMizzou 11-30-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9165661)

I'm with Fisty.

(but really, aren't we all?)

FloridaMan88 11-30-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9165708)

Lots of tats isn't hurting this guy when it comes to marketability...

http://tattootribalpictures.com/wp-c...toos%20say.jpg

Sorter 11-30-2012 11:21 PM

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwg694iHGQ1qzjix8.gif

Bump 11-30-2012 11:36 PM

wow what a stupid ass article. It seems like every other NFL and NBA player is tatted up.

Dayze 11-30-2012 11:43 PM

I'd love for Brady to come out in full sleeves and neck tattoos next year. then they[ll claim the tats help their marketability

Sorter 11-30-2012 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9166079)
I'd love for Brady to come out in full sleeves and neck tattoos next year. then they[ll claim the tats help their marketability

Totally.

****, even if he came out with fake tats just to troll everyone (which honestly, I could see Tom doing) it would be awesome.

KcMizzou 11-30-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9166092)
Totally.

****, even if he came out with fake tats just to troll everyone (which honestly, I could see Tom doing) it would be awesome.

Brady's a badass. I look forward to the stories he'll tell when he finally retires.

cdcox 11-30-2012 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9166092)
Totally.

****, even if he came out with fake tits just to troll everyone (which honestly, I could see Tom doing) it would be awesome.

Not my bag, but if you're into it, whatever dude.

Mama Hip Rockets 12-01-2012 12:00 AM

Uh, it's 2012.

KcMizzou 12-01-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9166129)

That'd make the "tuck rule" more interesting.

"Tucked it right into the cleavage. No fumble."

Sorter 12-01-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcox (Post 9166129)

Why would he need fake tits?

Sorter 12-01-2012 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou (Post 9166128)
Brady's a badass. I look forward to the stories he'll tell when he finally retires.

The few I've heard are funny as hell.

ClevelandBronco 12-01-2012 12:52 AM

10-15 years ago, yeah, probably. Now? Not a big deal.

I've never understood why I'd want someone else's art on my body, but I guess that's me.

Sorter 12-01-2012 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 9166230)
10-15 years ago, yeah, probably. Now? Not a big deal.

I've never understood why I'd want someone else's art on my body, but I guess that's me.

The only thing I could actually justify would be something relating to my child that had passed (if it were to happen) or if it were something family related.

However, that doesnt mean that I agree with this racist, bullshit article. Tattos don't mean that Kap is a moron, druggie, gangster, explosive, etc.

WhiteWhale 12-01-2012 01:33 AM

Yeah... no way an athlete can be a star if he's got tattoos.

Lebron who?

Quarterbacks are not CEO's, they're athletes.

KcMizzou 12-01-2012 01:58 AM

Oddly enough, while watching Kaepernick kick ass, I didn't even notice his tattoos. And I'm an old white dude!

Seriously, nobody gives a shit.

Baby Lee 12-01-2012 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 9165766)
His dumb ass would probably get it tattooed on his back.

Everyone knows if you want Cassel to have an unimpeded view, you'd need to tattoo the playbook on Pioli's lower belly.

okoye35chiefs 12-01-2012 06:40 AM

people still buy michael vick jerseys...so...

BIG_DADDY 12-01-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 9165700)
There's twinges of racism in that article.

ROFL You are hillarious.

Did the marketing guys hold back on AI or more importantly LeBron? He is an athlete and it doesn't hurt his marketing ability that much. If he were a banker would it hurt his ability to represent, you bettcha. Here is the deal though, could it have hurt his abilty to be selected to represent the franchise? Sure, tell me how many tatted up bad boys you see on the Yankees. I am sure there are other team owners that feel the same.

chiefzilla1501 12-01-2012 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 9167053)
ROFL You are hillarious.

Did the marketing guys hold back on AI or more importantly LeBron? He is an athlete and it doesn't hurt his marketing ability that much. If he were a banker would it hurt his ability to represent, you bettcha. Here is the deal though, could it have hurt his abilty to be selected to represent the franchise? Sure, tell me how many tatted up bad boys you see on the Yankees. I am sure there are other team owners that feel the same.

Ridiculous to think that any team would not bring a player in because of tattoos. If they are character issues, yes. But A-Rod is a douche bag without noticeable tattoos (and he's not the only guy without a ton of tattoos that is a character issue). AJ Burnett and Jason Giambi were two tattoo guys on the Yankees.

This is a non-issue. If you can tell me a legit sports superstar who is undermined because of tattoos, let me know. Right now, we're talking about a QB who may or may not be starting two weeks from now.

Hoover 12-01-2012 11:27 AM

I actually thinks it will make him a bigger star

mcaj22 12-01-2012 11:30 AM

http://thebiglead.fantasysportsven.n.../118588686.jpg

kids look up to this guy. this is the NBA's most marketable small market player. He has an entire city/fanbase by the balls and if he told them to go jump off a bridge to better the team they would probably listen.

Pasta Little Brioni 12-01-2012 11:44 AM

Geno wore his hat backwards that one time, so I've taken him off my big board.

BIG_DADDY 12-01-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9167097)
Ridiculous to think that any team would not bring a player in because of tattoos. If they are character issues, yes. But A-Rod is a douche bag without noticeable tattoos (and he's not the only guy without a ton of tattoos that is a character issue). AJ Burnett and Jason Giambi were two tattoo guys on the Yankees.

This is a non-issue. If you can tell me a legit sports superstar who is undermined because of tattoos, let me know. Right now, we're talking about a QB who may or may not be starting two weeks from now.

Sure, superstars are exceptions. Before they become superstars and are being considered for a position that could make them the face of the franchise though you can't tell me that it is never considered. We are really talking about something that could never be verified one way or the other so it's really irrelevant. He is getting his chance now with a good team. I personlly believe there is no way Harbaugh is turning back this year unless he just totally sucks ass but that isn't going to happen. He made his choice.

Radar Chief 12-01-2012 11:59 AM

Pompadour skull tattoo on his arm but Jimbo never did no body no harm. /the Rev

keg in kc 12-01-2012 12:03 PM

Not in today's world.

Rausch 12-01-2012 12:09 PM

He wins - he wins...

milkman 12-01-2012 01:07 PM

Just lock him up now.

He's clearly a thug.

RealSNR 12-01-2012 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9167182)

kids look up to this guy. this is the NBA's most marketable small market player. He has an entire city/fanbase by the balls and if he told them to go jump off a bridge to better the team they would probably listen.

That's hometeam-style tattooing there. Gotta say, it's almost as gay as the shit Bray did.

Ultra Peanut 12-01-2012 01:39 PM

This article's premise comes straight out of 1968, lol

Radar Chief 12-01-2012 01:46 PM

Saw a band called The Goddam Gallows at the Bottle Neck last year and after they played they mingled around in the crowd. As I'm looking at all the neck, face and scalp tattoos they were sporting I'm thinking, "Man, I sure hope this band gig works out for you."

FloridaMan88 12-01-2012 07:29 PM

The dumbshit sports columnist who wrote this trash column:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...32_306x423.jpg

Looks like a pedophile.

listopencil 12-01-2012 07:35 PM

This week on The Death Of Journalism In America: Worthless Hack Creates Hype About Nothing.

Marcellus 12-01-2012 07:36 PM

The concept of this article is so outdated it was probably typed on a Commodore 64.

SAUTO 12-01-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9167812)
That's hometeam-style tattooing there. Gotta say, it's almost as gay as the shit Bray did.

My thoughts exactly.
Posted via Mobile Device

ghak99 12-01-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9167182)

Does he have any tats a short sleeve t-shirt won't cover?

the steam 12-01-2012 08:46 PM

Seriously??? Shouldn't this guy accomplish something on the field before worrying about being a marketable star?

Rain Man 12-01-2012 08:54 PM

It's not the concept of tattoos that will cost him marketing dollars. It's the simple fact that tattoos make people less attractive.

Cannibal 12-01-2012 09:03 PM

I am not a fan a Kaepernick's tat sleeves. But it doesn't bother me. He can do as he pleases. If big corporations decide his tats are a negative image that they don't want to deal with, I can certainly understand that.

It does have a trashy, low rent look to me.

Ultra Peanut 12-01-2012 10:13 PM

srsly y'all old

listopencil 12-01-2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9169438)
I am not a fan a Kaepernick's tat sleeves. But it doesn't bother me. He can do as he pleases. If big corporations decide his tats are a negative image that they don't want to deal with, I can certainly understand that.

It does have a trashy, low rent look to me.

Are you calling Kaepernick a whore?

Hootie 12-01-2012 10:46 PM

my father told me as a kid...many times...no tattoos, no piercings

always stuck with me, and I do plan on teaching my children that some day as well

I just don't like them...and yeah, I do judge people with visible tattoos, it's human nature

that said, I think Kaepernick is a great QB and a great person

NJChiefsFan 12-01-2012 10:49 PM

No. See nba.com

-King- 12-01-2012 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9167812)

The fact that Kevin Durant has 0% bodyfat and no muscle tone makes them look really bad.

MahiMike 12-02-2012 08:19 AM

The fact that is doesn't surprise people anymore is the real tragedy. I can still remember a few years ago when Fred Taylor came out of Florida wit his gold teef. Had to take them out before joining the Jags.

Now, it's all gangstas out there. Hard to believe we actually root for these thugs.

I will say in Kaepernick's case though, his tats are pretty artistic. And the kid really is pretty nice. Wonder if it has something to do with his parents?

notorious 12-02-2012 08:31 AM

He is racist?

Isn't this the writer who adopted TWO black babies?

Ultra Peanut 12-02-2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 9170584)
The fact that is doesn't surprise people anymore is the real tragedy. I can still remember a few years ago when Fred Taylor came out of Florida wit his gold teef. Had to take them out before joining the Jags.

Now, it's all gangstas out there. Hard to believe we actually root for these thugs.

I will say in Kaepernick's case though, his tats are pretty artistic. And the kid really is pretty nice. Wonder if it has something to do with his parents?

Sorry our generation's too radical/gnarly-as-**** for you, old man.

(No but seriously, you seem like a contemptible human being)

Pasta Little Brioni 12-02-2012 06:16 PM

His play might :D Looks to be a bit premature nibbling on his nutsack.

Deberg_1990 10-06-2013 08:16 PM

I've noticed in the McDonalds commercials with Flacco, Kaepernick is wearing long sleeves...do advertisers hate the ink?