ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Prayer Request ~~~~~~R.I.P Ralph The Cat ~~~~~~~~~ (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=267802)

Mr. Laz 12-18-2012 12:31 PM

~~~~~~R.I.P Ralph The Cat ~~~~~~~~~

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/1378/ralph134.jpg

:sulk:

took him to the vet to get his teeth cleaned and it/they killed him :#

don't use Cherokee Animal Clinic in Overland Park,KS

Dayze 12-18-2012 12:35 PM

dang man..
Ralph looks like he could play RT

TrebMaxx 12-18-2012 12:35 PM

Bummer. RIP Ralph.

the Talking Can 12-18-2012 12:36 PM

wtf?

as a cat person, very sorry to hear it...terrible

tooge 12-18-2012 12:37 PM

Sorry man. Happened to my dog two years ago. We changed vets.

I'mAlwaysRight 12-18-2012 12:38 PM

That's terrible, sorry for your loss. Ralph looks like a good ol' boy. RIP Ralph.

Dayze 12-18-2012 12:38 PM

I'd be irrate if that happened

tooge 12-18-2012 12:39 PM

what did the vet say happened? Underlying disease? wtf?

Easy 6 12-18-2012 12:39 PM

Sorry to hear that, where did this vet get his doctorate, the university of lower budapest?

FlaChief58 12-18-2012 12:40 PM

Sorry to hear. RIP

Mr. Laz 12-18-2012 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9221267)
what did the vet say happened? Underlying disease? wtf?

He swears that Ralph hadn't even gone under anesthesia yet ... just the initial relaxing type shot.

Said kitty had a heart attack even though he admits that Ralph had shown zero signs of any heart condition in the initial exam today or any previous exam.

Dr. Johnny Fever 12-18-2012 12:43 PM

Cats rock and Ralph looks like he rocked hard. Sorry to hear the news.

On a side note I'm never going to the dentist again.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221279)
He swears that Ralph hadn't even gone under anesthesia yet ... just the initial relaxing type shot.

Said kitty had a heart attack even though he admits that Ralph had shown zero signs of any heart condition in the initial exam today or any previous exam.

Holy crap. That's horrible.

ptlyon 12-18-2012 12:44 PM

Bye Ralph - I hardly knew ya!

Mr. Laz 12-18-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9221280)

He did ROCK

I can't really think straight right now ... pit in my stomach and brain is all ****ed up. :deevee:

Tribal Warfare 12-18-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

****, I'd sue for all they got. That's malpractice and is essentially killing a family member.

cosmo20002 12-18-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221234)

:sulk:

Sorry about your loss.

They really seem to be pushing the teeth cleanings nowadays. I assume it is a highly profitable service. I'm sure they are important to some degree, but I never liked the idea of having to put them out with general anesthesia just for a teeth cleaning. Had it for my dogs once, but only because they needed some other surgery and were going to be under anyway.

tooge 12-18-2012 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. Johnny Fever (Post 9221280)

Yeah, you should start going to the vet instead. much safer

cosmo20002 12-18-2012 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 9221287)
****, I'd sue for all they got. That's malpractice and is essentially killing a family member.

I agree, but legally a pet is usually just a piece of property, and a not very valuable one. Plus proving malpractice is really difficult. If you make enough noise about it, you might get a small "go-away" settlement.

tooge 12-18-2012 12:52 PM

actually, you probably won't get shit. Change vets just because otherwise it'll be awkward. Truth is, anesthesia and animals is a very vague science and this happens alot. Still sad, but not lawsuit worthy.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9221288)
Sorry about your loss.

They really seem to be pushing the teeth cleanings nowadays. I assume it is a highly profitable service. I'm sure they are important to some degree, but I never liked the idea of having to put them out with general anesthesia just for a teeth cleaning. Had it for my dogs once, but only because they needed some other surgery and were going to be under anyway.

This.

They push it hard and I've heard them try to suggest lately that tooth decay leads to heart disease, kidney failure, and all kinds of other maladies (it isn't limited to vets and pets either, my dentist does it too).

Bottom line - feed your cat or dog a hard kibble and take them to the vet when you HAVE TO.

RealSNR 12-18-2012 12:54 PM

The vet insisted our old cat get her teeth cleaned as the "healthy thing to do" even though she's 16 years old and slowing down.

We said we weren't going to put her through that much stress just to get her teeth cleaned. We were worried something like this might happen.

Very sorry for your loss, Laz. There are tons of good vets out there just like there are lots of good doctors out there, but I'm sure there are also crap vets that don't do their homework in situations like this.

Tribal Warfare 12-18-2012 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 9221303)
I agree, but legally a pet is usually just a piece of property, and a not very valuable one. Plus proving malpractice is really difficult. If you make enough noise about it, you might get a small "go-away" settlement.

Not in my family we have $Blue Blood$ German Shepherds. It isn't difficult if it's clear as day. A pet in above average health suddenly dies it's a gripe.

Dr. Johnny Fever 12-18-2012 12:55 PM

I hope they don't bill you Laz. If they do throw it back in their face.

Mr. Laz 12-18-2012 12:57 PM

Bill me?

The are lucky i don't go and burn the entire ****ing building down.

Mr. Laz 12-18-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9221316)
The vet insisted our old cat get her teeth cleaned as the "healthy thing to do" even though she's 16 years old and slowing down.

We said we weren't going to put her through that much stress just to get her teeth cleaned. We were worried something like this might happen.

Very sorry for your loss, Laz. There are tons of good vets out there just like there are lots of good doctors out there, but I'm sure there are also crap vets that don't do their homework in situations like this.

thanks

Ralph was 9-ish (rescue, so don't know exactly)

I resisted the constant pressure from vet to clean his teeth again but cat was starting to avoid dry food and i thought it might be his teeth so i gave in ........

:(

FlaChief58 12-18-2012 01:00 PM

Quote:

Damn that's horrible. Not that it's any consolation but, the Mrs is a vet tech and says things like this happen from time to time.

Again, sorry for your loss

Buck 12-18-2012 01:01 PM

RIP Ralphie.

cosmo20002 12-18-2012 01:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah, that's bullshit. At that age, the risk of dying from or having severe problems from their teeth is not worth the risk of putting an elderly animal under general anesthesia. I don't think its worth the risk on a younger pet either, unless they already have to be under for some other serious reason.

Dr. Johnny Fever 12-18-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221326)
Bill me?

I'm just sayin... they could. They used some amount of drugs and time and they may. I hope they know better but in this day and age you never know.

Deberg_1990 12-18-2012 01:03 PM

Wow, sorry to hear this...

Reminds me of that scene in Fabulous Baker Boys at the Vet.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221332)
thanks

Ralph was 9-ish (rescue, so don't know exactly)

I resisted the constant pressure from vet to clean his teeth again but cat was starting to avoid dry food and i thought it might be his teeth so i gave in ........

:(

Was avoiding dry food and opting to NOT EAT AT ALL?

Or were you supplementing dry food with canned and he was opting to ignore dry food until you gave in and gave him canned food?

There's really no reason whatsoever to feed our pets canned food.

Buehler445 12-18-2012 01:07 PM

Quote:

**** man, sorry to hear that. But you know, it's better than some painful horrible death that a lot of cats face. Our shop cat got really ****ing sick and went into the attic and died. I'm sure this was much more pleasant.

Sorry for your loss dude. The longer I live with Chief Dog, the more certain I am that pets are better than 95% of humans.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221326)
Bill me?

ROFL

Burn mother****er Burn!

MahiMike 12-18-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laz (Post 9221234)

WTH? Did he swallow the floss?

WilliamTheIrish 12-18-2012 01:14 PM

Quote:

Happens a lot with dogs and cats. It really does. Most vets are pretty good people. But they lose patients unexpectedly to strange circumstances just like people doctors.

Ebolapox 12-18-2012 01:16 PM

damn, man. sorry for your loss. I prefer my cats (and most cats) over 99% of all the people that I know.

BigCatDaddy 12-18-2012 01:18 PM

Wow. I was going to set up an appt to get my dogs teeth cleaned, but now am having 2nd thoughts.

Mr. Flopnuts 12-18-2012 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9221314)
This.

They push it hard and I've heard them try to suggest lately that tooth decay leads to heart disease, kidney failure, and all kinds of other maladies (it isn't limited to vets and pets either, my dentist does it too).

Bottom line - feed your cat or dog a hard kibble and take them to the vet when you HAVE TO.

You know outside of getting her spayed and getting her shots my 8 year old Jack Russell Wilson Terrier has never been to the vet. Never saw a need since she's always happy and normal. Reading this story makes me feel A LOT less guilty about that. Sorry Laz. That really, really sucks.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9221407)
You know outside of getting her spayed and getting her shots my 8 year old Jack Russell Wilson Terrier has never been to the vet. Never saw a need since she's always happy and normal. Reading this story makes me feel A LOT less guilty about that. Sorry Laz. That really, really sucks.

We have a REALLY good vet right now.

On Saturday, we had one of our indoor/outdoor cats attacked by either a stray dog or a coyote. He was losing a lot of blood so I called the vet.

He walked me through how to tell how much blood the cat was losing and how to tell if he was in danger of losing too much blood or going into shock. He gave me instructions on how to treat the wound and control the pain without using any medications.

Since it happened on a Saturday night, after dark, I figure he saved me over $200 in vet bills just by spending 10 minutes on the phone with me. And it saved him a trip to the office.

O.city 12-18-2012 01:31 PM

Tooth decay absolutely can lead to those things, but it's not highly likely and is pretty rare.

Key being, just go to the dentist every 6 months.

Graystoke 12-18-2012 01:32 PM

Wow, that just sucks.
Sorry to hear that.
I have a protocol with my cats, which happen to be great cats, and outside.
No Vet unless need shots, are deadly sick or have a fish hook caught in their mouths.

Sorry again.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9221429)
Tooth decay absolutely can lead to those things, but it's not highly likely and is pretty rare.

Key being, just go to the dentist every 6 months.

Preventing tooth decay doesn't necessarily require twice-a-year professional "cleanings" at $200-$300 a pop...

DeezNutz 12-18-2012 01:34 PM

Sorry to hear this, man.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 9221435)
Wow, that just sucks.
Sorry to hear that.
I have a protocol with my cats, which happen to be great cats, and outside.
No Vet unless need shots, are deadly sick or have a fish hook caught in their mouths.

Sorry again.

For my outdoor cats, I administer all the shots/vaccines.

tooge 12-18-2012 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9221314)
This.

Heh. It's not tooth decay that leads to heart disease, it's periodontal disease (gum disease), and the link is 100% accurate.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9221466)
Heh. It's not tooth decay that leads to heart disease, it's periodontal disease (gum disease), and the link is 100% accurate.

Quibbling on a technicality.

Gum disease, tooth decay, it's all the same.

Your cat or dog is NOT going to die if you don't get their teeth cleaned twice a year. In fact, they have a much higher percentage chance of dying from the anesthesia than from not having their teeth cleaned.

Unfortunately, Laz found that out the hard way.

tooge 12-18-2012 01:48 PM

I agree with you there. They aren't going to die. It is a good idea to give them plenty of hard chews and make sure they don't get gum disease. If they do, then, yes, they can and do die from it.

burt 12-18-2012 01:50 PM

Laz, sux....condolences.

htismaqe 12-18-2012 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9221501)
I agree with you there. They aren't going to die. It is a good idea to give them plenty of hard chews and make sure they don't get gum disease. If they do, then, yes, they can and do die from it.

OK, we absolutely agree then. :toast:

journeyscarab 12-18-2012 01:56 PM

Sorry for your loss. Cats are awesome and he looks like he was a cool cat. RIP Ralph.

Graystoke 12-18-2012 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9221445)
For my outdoor cats, I administer all the shots/vaccines.

Sorry, that is where I draw the line with pussy.

shakesthecat 12-18-2012 02:26 PM

Sorry Laz.

He sure was a great looking cat!

Demonpenz 12-18-2012 02:29 PM

Sorry. Sounds like you were doing what you needed to do. Nature/God had other plans. Hope you get a new cat.

Frazod 12-18-2012 07:15 PM

That sucks, man. :(

One of ours died at the vet's office a few years ago. She developed an intestinal block and we didn't notice it until it was too late. They had her for three days - first night we thought she was done for and braced ourselves, but the second night she seemed better and we thought she'd pull through. The phone rang at 9:00 the next morning.

And, of course, the dead cat came with a $600 vet bill. Hopefully you were at least sparred that indignity.

And I concur with being very leery of the shit they're paid to peddle. Our old vet pushed Science Diet pet food, for example, which is both shitty and overpriced. We don't use them anymore.

Chief Roundup 12-18-2012 07:23 PM

My sister took her cat in to get a cleaning. While there they said the cat had a couple of bad teeth so they pulled them. She wouldn't eat after that. After a day they called the vet and the vet said it was normal. Next day the cat was dead when they woke up. The vet said well sometimes when a cat won't eat it has just made up its mind to die. They feel like the vet basicly killed the cat but there is nothing they can really do.

Sorry to hear about your loss man it sucks.

PRIEST 12-18-2012 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9221341)
RIP Ralphie.

This

DomerNKC 12-18-2012 08:21 PM

sorry dude...

Valiant 12-18-2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Are dog is 13, never had her teeth cleaned.. Breath stinks, but that is understandable.. Most 80yo breath stinks..

I am afraid of the same thing.. Sorry for your pet loss..

cdcox 12-18-2012 08:25 PM

Dang, that sucks. Sorry Laz.

chasedude 12-18-2012 08:28 PM

Wow Laz! So sorry to hear that. I feel for you loss of a cool friend.

mlyonsd 12-18-2012 08:49 PM

Sorry Laz for your loss. I had to put our 14 year old cat down in October. One doesn't think much about a cat until they leave the family.

Hydrae 12-18-2012 09:00 PM

He was a big boy!

That is a tragic way to lose a friend. I am sorry it happened this way.

threebag 12-18-2012 10:16 PM

RIP Ralphy Boy

petegz28 12-18-2012 10:18 PM

Sorry to hear. I have had my dog's teeth cleaned twice and I felt bad each time. I won't do it again. It's so hard on them but the Vets insist it has to be done.

GloryDayz 12-18-2012 10:20 PM

Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Dentist fail!

Sorry to hear it man!

Jenson71 12-18-2012 10:21 PM

I've never heard of anything like that happening before. Really crazy. Sorry to hear, Laz.

mikeyis4dcats. 12-18-2012 10:22 PM

sorry to hear that. we got back from puerto vallarta last week late and had to take our cat to the vet and have him put down. that sucked.

Bugeater 12-18-2012 10:25 PM

Well that sucks complete ass. Sorry Laz.

O.city 12-18-2012 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 9221441)
Preventing tooth decay doesn't necessarily require twice-a-year professional "cleanings" at $200-$300 a pop...

Sure it does. :)

It doesn't hurt tho. I'll put it this way, would you rather pay 400 bucks per year and keep them clean, or not pay it for a year or two and pay 4000 for a RC and crown.

mikeyis4dcats. 12-18-2012 10:41 PM

actually, aside from decay, dental cleanings in pets is mostly important for preventing bacterial infections that can cause serious liver and heart problems.

listopencil 12-19-2012 02:11 AM

Wow, I have never heard of that happening. Sorry to hear that.

bricks 12-19-2012 03:25 AM

My condolensces Laz.

htismaqe 12-19-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 9222902)
Sure it does. :)

It doesn't hurt tho. I'll put it this way, would you rather pay 400 bucks per year and keep them clean, or not pay it for a year or two and pay 4000 for a RC and crown.

Never heard of a pet getting a root canal and crown.

Furthermore, the only root canal I've ever had was because I cracked a filling that was put in when I was 7.

I've had my teeth cleaned probably 3 times in my entire adult life and I have "some of the best teeth" my dentist has "ever seen".

So thanks. You can think it doesn't hurt if you want - I think Laz would beg to differ.

Don't anesthetize your pets for GETTING THEIR TEETH CLEANED.

htismaqe 12-19-2012 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9222919)
actually, aside from decay, dental cleanings in pets is mostly important for preventing bacterial infections that can cause serious liver and heart problems.

The stories like Laz' (pets dying under anesthesia) are everywhere. Yet somehow, I don't see a bunch of stories about how someone's pet died because they didn't get their teeth cleaned.

tooge 12-19-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 9222884)
Wow!!!!!!!!!!! Dentist fail!

Sorry to hear it man!

Can we please be clear that this WASN'T A DENTIST, IT WAS A VETERANARIAN TRYING TO BE A DENTIST. There is a big difference. Give your dog or cat hard food and chews and bones to keep their teeth clean.

htismaqe 12-19-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9223468)
Can we please be clear that this WASN'T A DENTIST, IT WAS A VETERANARIAN TRYING TO BE A DENTIST. There is a big difference. Give your dog or cat hard food and chews and bones to keep their teeth clean.

:bravo:

And please be sure to give your dogs GOOD bones - beef bones that have not been cooked/boiled, or bully sticks. Rawhide is hard on their digestive system and cooked bones can splinter and kill a dog.

Extra Point 12-19-2012 09:44 AM

RIP Ralph.

mikey23545 12-19-2012 09:49 AM

Ralph was a big, good lookin' boy...I bet he was a cool old kitty...

So, so sorry you lost him, Laz, especially the way you did. Deepest condolences for losing a member of your family.

Fire Me Boy! 12-19-2012 10:10 AM

Sorry for your loss, Laz. Ralph looked like a cool cat. I'm still not over losing my Rosebud, but once you grieve, new kitties will help.

Mr. Laz 12-19-2012 10:37 AM

Thanks to all

btw - if you live in the O.P. area don't let the Cherokee Animal Clinic clean you pet's teeth

bastards!! :cuss:

i would like to Belcher the entire lot of them