ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Reid should have waited for a DC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269026)

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:27 PM

Reid should have waited for a DC

I know Andy wanted to get a staff in place, and I know he did ask for permission to interview Ray Horton, but was rebuffed, but he should have waited a week on the DC.

Horton is going to come available and it's a shame it won't be here.

Deberg_1990 01-17-2013 08:33 PM

meh, if Dutton doesnt work out, he can be replaced next season.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329466)
I know Andy wanted to get a staff in place, and I know he did ask for permission to interview Ray Horton, but was rebuffed, but he should have waited a week on the DC.

Hiring Horton would have been an absolute dream. That being said, I'm cautiously optimistic about what Sutton can do with a Ryan type 46.

Ace Gunner 01-17-2013 08:48 PM

meh, he's not going to be anyone's DC for long. Bet he's a HC next year. Kubiak's job isn't going to be safe after next season if he can't get that team to finish out strong.

mcaj22 01-17-2013 08:53 PM

Sutton is this new regime's year 1 Clancy Pendergast.

stop gap guy and if the defense is a weak point he will be instantly fired/replaced after one season

Titty Meat 01-17-2013 08:54 PM

Sutton sucks it was a nistqke by Reid.

tk13 01-17-2013 08:54 PM

The thing is, he probably could've waited if he wanted. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone else would've hired Sutton as DC. Of course Horton might have only been here a year before leaving anyway. So it might not really matter.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:55 PM

I wouldn't be so sure about Horton getting a HC job elsewhere. Arizona didn't want him and they knew him.

I would have liked to have him running this D instead of Sutton, but I'll reserve full judgement.

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 08:55 PM

Michael Silver‏@MikeSilver

I'm told Ray Horton is out as Cardinals defensive coordinator and will be replaced by Todd Bowles. Source who knows. Bad vibes all around.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9329523)
Sutton sucks it was a nistqke by Reid.

Really impossible to know if he sucks or not.

That was not his defense with Mangini as many have pointed out here.

If he attacks, he'll have success. If he sits back, he'll be roasted.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:57 PM

Horton likely will be a Brown.

mcaj22 01-17-2013 08:57 PM

todd bowles

LOL

that organization is so ****ing cheap

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329531)

Yup that's what Jason la canfora said when this went down.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9329534)
todd bowles

LOL

A completely horrendous hire.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 08:58 PM

The Browns didn't land the HC, but what homerun coordinator hires.

mcaj22 01-17-2013 08:59 PM

that's by far the worst anything hire of the offseason in terms of coaches. by far lol

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9329534)
todd bowles

LOL

Bowles was Arians' call.

Deberg_1990 01-17-2013 08:59 PM

If the offense can score more points and sustain drives, it will help the defense out alot.

I felt like there was about 4 or 5 more games would could have won if our offense would have scored another TD or two. Just going from memory.

tk13 01-17-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329539)

It makes a difference. It's no coincidence that Pioli's only good year came when we had Weis and Crennel calling plays.

Mother****erJones 01-17-2013 09:02 PM

Meh i like sutton, sounds like he's gona do some aggressive blitzes and different 34 schemes

-King- 01-17-2013 09:09 PM

It is what it is. It's almost a sure thing that Horton will be a head coach next year so we would have only had him for a year anyway.

That said, I wish we could have had him for that one year, but I can understand why we didn't wait. Seems like most thought Horton had the job including Horton himself.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 01-17-2013 09:09 PM

What a joke. Horton is a good fiesty guy but has a rep as a vocal black male and sadly that doesn't sit well with certain guys

Ace Gunner 01-17-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329526)
I wouldn't be so sure about Horton getting a HC job elsewhere. Arizona didn't want him and they knew him.

I would have liked to have him running this D instead of Sutton, but I'll reserve full judgement.

Well most folks would have liked Horton over Sutton, but I think contracts/timing and the notion Horton is being considered for HC positions around the league tainted any plans to bring him in here.

warpaint* 01-17-2013 09:13 PM

I am pretty blah about Sutton. But it is done and Reid/Dorsey were good moves. Wait and see on Sutton. Frankly the franchise isn't going to sink or swim on that decision. Wack him and hire someone else later if it doesn't work out. NBD.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 09:13 PM

I'm sure one thing that pissed Horton off more than anything is, and who could blame him... If you know you're going to fire him anyway, then don't deny other team's permission to hire you away. Pretty dick move by the Cardinals.

Audit2 01-17-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329588)
I'm sure one thing that pissed Horton off more than anything is, and who could blame him... If you know you're going to fire him anyway, then don't deny other team's permission to hire you away. Pretty dick move by the Cardinals.

I agree. I believe Andy inquired about getting Horton on his staff but was denied an interview.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Audit2 (Post 9329607)
I agree. I believe Andy inquired about getting Horton on his staff but was denied an interview.

He was.

He asked permission to interview both Horton and Pagano from SD.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-17-2013 09:32 PM

Meh....

People bitch when wait to the last minute to hire our staff.

People bitch when we hire our staff to fast.

People bitch.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329543)
Bowles was Arians' call.

Yep right after he forced Horton out
Posted via Mobile Device

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9329618)
Meh....

People bitch when wait to the last minute to hire our staff.

People bitch when we hire our staff to fast.

People bitch.

People create conversations on message boards. True story.

TRR 01-17-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by warpaint* (Post 9329586)
I am pretty blah about Sutton. But it is done and Reid/Dorsey were good moves. Wait and see on Sutton. Frankly the franchise isn't going to sink or swim on that decision. Wack him and hire someone else later if it doesn't work out. NBD.

This is exactly the reason why KC has failed since Marty. Consistency. Quit ****ing firing coordinators. Build a team around the same scheme and create continuity. Sutton isn't going to work wonders in one year. Reid isn't going to work wonders in one year. Dorsey isn't going to work wonders in one year. Stay the course, and allow them the opportunity to build something. All have proven track records.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 9329631)
This is exactly the reason why KC has failed since Marty. Consistency. Quit ****ing firing coordinators. Build a team around the same scheme and create continuity. Sutton isn't going to work wonders in one year. Reid isn't going to work wonders in one year. Dorsey isn't going to work wonders in one year. Stay the course, and allow them the opportunity to build something. All have proven track records.

Pioli fired coordinators and head coaches like they were bus boys.

Are you suggesting that Herm should have stayed with Solari and Vermeil with Greg Robinson?

Because before Pioli, this team kept coordinators around for a while.

tk13 01-17-2013 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRR (Post 9329631)

This is true too. The only guy they really stood by, at least as a coordinator, is Gunther. But there were guys that were obviously not going to work too, like Daboll.

Rexx 01-17-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329466)

I agree that they rushed on hiring Sutton. I was very surprised they filled that position so quickly. If Horton was a target, you would have thought the Chiefs would have waited until the Cards filled the HC position regardless if they were denied permission or not.

I think Sutton will do fine as long as he goes 1 gap and stays aggressive with his LB's. That being said, I would have rather had Horton.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329620)
Yep right after he forced Horton out
Posted via Mobile Device

You can spin it any way you want. The Bowles hire is 100% on Arians. It's been reported for days that Arians practically promised the role to him. The Bowles hiring is a terrible hire and that's all on Arians.

Hope they enjoy Parcells 2-gap.

TRR 01-17-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329633)
Pioli fired coordinators and head coaches like they were bus boys.

Are you suggesting that Herm should have stayed with Solari and Vermeil with Greg Robinson?

Because before Pioli, this team kept coordinators around for a while.

Its not just coordinators. Head Coaches as well. This 3-4 year turnaround period must stop. What has it gotten KC? Reid has tenure. A proven track record. He hired Sutton for a reason. There isn't an organization in the NFL that could be successful with as much change. FIRE ROBINSON! What did that do? Gunther was hired and fired without much success and the wheel continues.

Stay the course for more than 3-4 years.

(Edit: Vermeil/Robinson was a one off situation as you knew Dick wasn't staying around long. It was a win at all costs mentality. Either way, the theory holds.

Posted via Mobile Device

RustShack 01-17-2013 09:46 PM

Lol @ the douches who say Sutton sucks when he's never even had a chance. Everyone wants something new instead of a retread and when we get one be sucks before he even sees a game. And please don't try pointing to when Mangini was running the Jets, because you are a complete moron if you think that was Suttons defense.

Nightfyre 01-17-2013 09:46 PM

Interesting thought:

What if the consensus in NFL circles was that the Cards would promote Horton. I mean, the Chiefs were denied an interview opp. for him as D-coordinator, obviously.

So. can we hire Horton as a defensive coordinator and make Sutton a consultant?

ShowtimeSBMVP 01-17-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfyre (Post 9329653)
Interesting thought:

What if the consensus in NFL circles was that the Cards would promote Horton. I mean, the Chiefs were denied an interview opp. for him as D-coordinator, obviously.

So. can we hire Horton as a defensive coordinator and make Sutton a consultant?

Cards beat reporter said chiefs never asked.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329647)
You can spin it any way you want. The Bowles hire is 100% on Arians. It's been reported for days that Arians practically promised the role to him. The Bowles hiring is a terrible hire and that's all on Arians.

No spin there idiot.

HORTON WAS NOT GOING TO STAY IF HE DIDN'T GET THE HAD COACH JOB. NEVER. NOT EVER. HE WAS GOING TO LEAVE.

Had nothing to do with Arians, or anyone else that would have gotten the job.
Saying he was forced out by Arians is stupid and dishonest
Posted via Mobile Device

Nightfyre 01-17-2013 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9329656)

I thought I saw a tweet where we requested permission... But I am too lazy to go looking.

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9329656)

Ask me if I care what a Cards beat reporter says.

I know what I was told by the same guy who told me the Chiefs were interested in Monte Kiffin 5 days before any other media outlet reported any interest.

Is it gospel? No, but it's been pretty damn accurate lately.

RealSNR 01-17-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329647)

I was meh on the possibility of Arians as a head coach a few weeks ago. Now I view that hire as a nightmare.

Poor Cards

RustShack 01-17-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329665)
No spin there idiot.

HORTON WAS NOT GOING TO STAY IF HE DIDN'T GET THE HAD COACH JOB. NEVER. NOT EVER. HE WAS GOING TO LEAVE.

Posted via Mobile Device

How does that work since he was under contract? You really think Horton would have just not came into work?

SAUTO 01-17-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9329676)
How does that work since he was under contract? You really think Horton would have just not came into work?

do you think a team would make a guy stay that wouldn't want to be there after passing him over and starting a new regime?

Yeah....no
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud 01-17-2013 10:02 PM

No crying over spilled milk.

Sutton has had experience with Romeo's 3-4 (via Mangini) and Rex's 3-4. He's an experienced NFL defensive coach.

I'm not going to disparage his hiring because Ray Horton may have been available at some point. That's the exact excuse used by 99% of this forum when Clancy ****ing Pendergast was hired in 2009: "Who was Haley going to hire?".

And once again, it appears that a sizable portion of forum members have lady parts.

RustShack 01-17-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329681)
do you think a team would make a guy stay that wouldn't want to be there after passing him over and starting a new regime?

Yeah....no
Posted via Mobile Device

Kinda like how Zorn didn't want to be here this year, but we made him. Yeah, you're reeruned.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustShack (Post 9329688)
Kinda like how Zorn didn't want to be here this year, but we made him. Yeah, you're reeruned.

Got a link to that coming from him?

Horton had said he wouldn't be back if they didn't hire him as hc.

**** yourself, little bitch
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Tomahawk 01-17-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 9329686)
No crying over spilled milk.

Sutton has had experience with Romeo's 3-4 (via Mangini) and Rex's 3-4. He's an experienced NFL defensive coach.

I'm not going to disparage his hiring because Ray Horton may have been available at some point. That's the exact excuse used by 99% of this forum when Clancy ****ing Pendergast was hired in 2009: "Who was Haley going to hire?".

And once again, it appears that a sizable portion of forum members have lady parts.

This.

SAUTO 01-17-2013 10:05 PM

Oh and where did we start a new regime last year?

Dumbass
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr_Tomahawk 01-17-2013 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329667)
Ask me if I care what a Cards beat reporter says.

I know what I was told by the same guy who told me the Chiefs were interested in Monte Kiffin 5 days before any other media outlet reported any interest.

Is it gospel? No, but it's been pretty damn accurate lately.

Ha.

That's like bragging about getting first place in the potato sack race on field day...

Tell your source to break something of relevance...

The Bad Guy 01-17-2013 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9329700)
Ha.

That's like bragging about getting first place in the potato sack race on field day...

Tell your source to break something of relevance...

Yeah, because the candidates for the DC position isn't relevant info.

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329665)
No spin there idiot.

Posted via Mobile Device

Regardless of the Horton decision...
Bowles is 100% Arians' guy and most of his history is in the 2-gap 3-4 we just abandoned. And Arians refuses to hire an offensive coordinator that has any kind of meaningful role in playcalling. It doesn't matter how much say he had over Horton leaving, he sure as hell didn't pick the right guy to replace him. I would call that a completely disastrous DC hire.

Mr_Tomahawk 01-17-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329710)
Yeah, because the candidates for the DC position isn't relevant info.

My source said we had reached out to to Mel Tucker a week prior to it hitting the media...I'm not going to toot my horn about it though...

SAUTO 01-17-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 9329726)
Regardless of the Horton decision...
Bowles is 100% Arians' guy and most of his history is in the 2-gap 3-4 we just abandoned. And Arians refuses to hire an offensive coordinator that has any kind of meaningful role in playcalling. It doesn't matter how much say he had over Horton leaving, he sure as hell didn't pick the right guy to replace him. I would call that a completely disastrous DC hire.

I would agree, and we wouldn't be even talking about it had you not said he was forcing out Horton to bring in one of his idiot buddies.

That was false
Posted via Mobile Device

chiefzilla1501 01-17-2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9329738)
I would agree, and we wouldn't be even talking about it had you not said he was forcing out Horton to bring in one of his idiot buddies.

That was false
Posted via Mobile Device

Fair enough. I was probably wrong on that point.

crazycoffey 01-17-2013 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9329544)
If the offense can score more points and sustain drives, it will help the defense out alot.

I felt like there was about 4 or 5 more games would could have won if our offense would have scored another TD or two. Just going from memory.

Or not turn the ball over on a short field

RunKC 01-17-2013 10:21 PM

Look at it this way: Ray Horton probably would have been gone in the next year or two. Sutton is an experienced guy who likely won't get a HC gig.
We need consistency and hopefully he brings good results for a long time.

BossChief 01-17-2013 10:29 PM

Ron Rivera 2014

Titty Meat 01-17-2013 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329531)

Chud putting together a great staff while many flamed the hiring.

DaWolf 01-17-2013 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9329758)
Look at it this way: Ray Horton probably would have been gone in the next year or two. Sutton is an experienced guy who likely won't get a HC gig.
We need consistency and hopefully he brings good results for a long time.

That's what I think ultimately happened. I think Reid maybe wanted to speak to Horton, but at the end of the day he was probably looking for a veteran presence and a guy who wasn't just angling for a head coaching job next year. He probably wanted some stability there, and it looks like all of our defensive coaches are on the older side. Probably why Kiffin was at the top of his wish list...

Mother****erJones 01-17-2013 10:48 PM

Im not too bent out of shape. This guy wants to be a HC and I believe sutton can be here for a few years. Sutton has experience from multiple coaches and has experience with this 34 scheme. I like hearing aggressiveness. Thats what we need. Attack the ****ing QB and make him uncomfortable.

ArrowheadMagic 01-17-2013 10:49 PM

Shit happens, cant wait forever.. Install 1 gap 34 and lets see what happens.

ndws 01-18-2013 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 9329825)

this

Easy 6 01-18-2013 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 9329524)
The thing is, he probably could've waited if he wanted. I could be wrong but I don't think anyone else would've hired Sutton as DC. Of course Horton might have only been here a year before leaving anyway. So it might not really matter.

This.

Thats just it, he's bucking for head coach and wouldnt have been here very long anyway... why waste time with a guy who's not satisfied with his position.

Just because Sutton isnt some dream team name doesnt mean he isnt going to be effective, this isnt worth complaining about at all imo.

Molitoth 01-18-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowheadMagic (Post 9329825)

Too bad people don't have this mentality on the QB position.

Draft Geno, see what happens.
If fail, do it again.

Titty Meat 01-18-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 9329813)
That's what I think ultimately happened. I think Reid maybe wanted to speak to Horton, but at the end of the day he was probably looking for a veteran presence and a guy who wasn't just angling for a head coaching job next year. He probably wanted some stability there, and it looks like all of our defensive coaches are on the older side. Probably why Kiffin was at the top of his wish list...

That's one hell of a spin job. So we should rather want the guy who nobody will want to hire in 2 years opposed the the guy who will be a head coach in 2 year? **** that.

KChiefs1 01-18-2013 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bad Guy (Post 9329539)

I'm liking what the Browns are doing.

mcaj22 01-18-2013 11:00 AM

Sutton wont be here long

if one thing guys bad he will be the first guy thrown under the bus/replaced.

saphojunkie 01-18-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9330546)
Sutton wont be here long

Ray Horton will be a HC next year.

Sorter 01-18-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9330546)
Sutton wont be here long

Replace him now with Horton.

King_Chief_Fan 01-18-2013 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9330623)
Replace him now with Horton.

exactly.....2 in a box....create the corporate structure/culture

RealSNR 01-18-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 9330516)
I'm liking what the Browns are doing.

I do too except all they did was hire an inexperienced Norv pupil and get two pretty good coordinators.

I don't imagine Chud is going to get that much out of the team. It's gonna take a genius to fix the Browns one of these days, and i don't think Chud is that answer.

htismaqe 01-18-2013 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9330619)
Ray Horton will be a HC next year.

How do you figure?

There were like 9 openings this year, including HIS team, and he didn't get much of a sniff at all.

Hootie 01-18-2013 12:09 PM

I honestly don't care.

I think we've hit a 450 foot homerun so far this offseason.

Asking for a 500 footer seems unreasonable.

DaWolf 01-18-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo's Pelini (Post 9330463)
That's one hell of a spin job. So we should rather want the guy who nobody will want to hire in 2 years opposed the the guy who will be a head coach in 2 year? **** that.

Not saying it is the right move, but I'm looking at his interest in older guys like Sutton and Kiffin and getting a feeling that Reid wanted a more veteran guy who would provide stability for a few years. You look at how he's constructed that side of the ball and it is essentially all geezers. Not sure how Horton would have fit in there. I know there was talk he was interested, but I don't know how serious that interest was, or if it was just residual talk from his interest in the Arizona job and whether he'd keep Horton around...

The Franchise 01-18-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9330677)
I do too except all they did was hire an inexperienced Norv pupil and get two pretty good coordinators.

I don't imagine Chud is going to get that much out of the team. It's gonna take a genius to fix the Browns one of these days, and i don't think Chud is that answer.

It all comes down to the GM that they hired. So far I've heard him talk about three things.

1. Drafting Brandon Weeden was a panicked disaster.
2. He thinks he can still win with Colt McCoy.
3. He really liked Ryan Mallett coming out of college.

whoman69 01-18-2013 02:30 PM

What was all this crap about the Cardinals not wanting to lose Horton?

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-18-2013 02:41 PM

If he's meant to be here at some point, he will arrive.

Rausch 01-18-2013 02:42 PM

Didn't know Capers was available...