ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Advice on Highway Travel in Arizona (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269178)

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 11:23 AM

Advice on Highway Travel in Arizona

In March I plan on taking my family to see landmarks and (hopefully) some spring training baseball in Arizona. While I'm familiar with how the state is laid out, our travel will take us into some wide-open, sparsely-populated areas I wouldn't want to be stranded in.

From our home in Texas, my first destination is Farmington, New Mexico to stay the first night. Our second day will be in a region I'm completely unfamiliar with and need the most help with. From Farmington, we will make a stop at the Four Corners Marker (not really a big deal, but if we're in the the neighborhood...) and on to Monument Valley (something I've always wanted to see). Ideally, I would like to end this day of travel at a motel within a reasonable distance of the Grand Canyon. As far as I can tell, this would mean I have to drive from Monument Valley to Williams, Flagstaff or near the south rim to find accommodations. Doesn't look like there's much east of the Grand Canyon (unless you want to snuggle up to a Navajo). Can anyone tell me if its a reasonable drive from Monument Valley to Flagstaff (under normal driving conditions) to where we won't be pulling into town at midnight? Are there any surprisingly affordable places to stay within and hour of the south rim?

Anywhoo, we'll probably devote an entire day to the Grand Canyon (first visit in 25 years), then eventually make our way down to the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix/Surprise) and catch at least one Royals game and visit a distant cousin. Any must-see (also quick)stops between Flagstaff and Phoenix?

petegz28 01-22-2013 11:29 AM

Just know in the Phoenix area they do not know what a blinker is let alone how to use one.

petegz28 01-22-2013 11:30 AM

Also there is like 1 road in Surprise that takes you to the Royals complex, Bell Rd. I think it is.

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 11:39 AM

if youre traveling on the 64 to farmington I would stop and take a piss in Taos. Its a cool town. Rio grande gorge (bridge) is pretty epic too

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 11:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
the picture doesnt do it justice, but its pretty sweet

Sweet Daddy Hate 01-22-2013 11:43 AM

Just stay away from New Mexico. These mother****ers can't drive for jack OR shit.

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 11:44 AM

when u stand on the bridge its pretty sweet. the mountains in the background are part of where taos ski resort is. Cool little ski resort and ski town if anyones interested. went there last march

loochy 01-22-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9341200)
In March I plan on taking my family to see landmarks and (hopefully) some spring training baseball in Arizona. While I'm familiar with how the state is laid out, our travel will take us into some wide-open, sparsely-populated areas I wouldn't want to be stranded in.

From our home in Texas, my first destination is Farmington, New Mexico to stay the first night. Our second day will be in a region I'm completely unfamiliar with and need the most help with. From Farmington, we will make a stop at the Four Corners Marker (not really a big deal, but if we're in the the neighborhood...) and on to Monument Valley (something I've always wanted to see). Ideally, I would like to end this day of travel at a motel within a reasonable distance of the Grand Canyon. As far as I can tell, this would mean I have to drive from Monument Valley to Williams, Flagstaff or near the south rim to find accommodations. Doesn't look like there's much east of the Grand Canyon (unless you want to snuggle up to a Navajo). Can anyone tell me if its a reasonable drive from Monument Valley to Flagstaff (under normal driving conditions) to where we won't be pulling into town at midnight? Are there any surprisingly affordable places to stay within and hour of the south rim?

Anywhoo, we'll probably devote an entire day to the Grand Canyon (first visit in 25 years), then eventually make our way down to the Valley of the Sun (Phoenix/Surprise) and catch at least one Royals game and visit a distant cousin. Any must-see (also quick)stops between Flagstaff and Phoenix?

Do yourself a favor when driving to Farmington. DON'T go from Wichita Falls to Amarillo and take I-40 across to Albuquerque. Instead, go to Amarillo and head north to Dumas, then Clayton, Springer, Taos, Tierra Amarilla, Chama, Dulce, and Farmington. You will be treated to a much more beautiful and senic drive that you won't get so much of if you take the southern route.

Trust me - I grew up in Wichita Falls and my dad is from Taos, so we made that journey many times.

Stewie 01-22-2013 11:52 AM

You can stop in Sedona when you're headed to Phoenix and get your chakras aligned via the harmonic convergence.

loochy 01-22-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341263)
when u stand on the bridge its pretty sweet. the mountains in the background are part of where taos ski resort is. Cool little ski resort and ski town if anyones interested. went there last march

The bridge sways and shakes in the wind or when a car drives by.

My aunt's nephew (on the otehr side of the family) committed suicide by jumping off of that bridge...people say they see his ghost there now. No joke.

sd4chiefs 01-22-2013 12:03 PM

They have this thing called google.

http://www.arizonaguide.com/things-to-do

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9341282)
The bridge sways and shakes in the wind or when a car drives by.

My aunt's nephew (on the otehr side of the family) committed suicide by jumping off of that bridge...people say they see his ghost there now. No joke.

I think I saw him!!! Is he a native american trying to sell leather wallets out of a chevy venture van?

loochy 01-22-2013 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341310)
I think I saw him!!! Is he a native american trying to sell leather wallets out of a chevy venture van?

no he's one of the hippies selling ugly shirts out of a volkswagen van

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9341319)
no he's one of the hippies selling ugly shirts out of a volkswagen van

Oh right. Nah I didnt see him then. Sorry for your familys loss. That was one hell of a way to go out off that bridge

loochy 01-22-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341340)
Oh right. Nah I didnt see him then. Sorry for your familys loss. That was one hell of a way to go out off that bridge

Hey, like I said it wasn't our side of the family, it was my aunt's side (she married in). He and his girlfriend were high or something and he accidentally shot her (supposedly), then he decided to jump off of this bridge.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JncUtZ2KTzo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

DrRyan 01-22-2013 12:20 PM

When you are coming down from Flagstaff to Phoenix make a day of it and drive the much more scenic route of the 89A through Sedona, Jerome and Prescott. The 89A is a really awesome drive.

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9341273)
Do yourself a favor when driving to Farmington. DON'T go from Wichita Falls to Amarillo and take I-40 across to Albuquerque. Instead, go to Amarillo and head north to Dumas, then Clayton, Springer, Taos, Tierra Amarilla, Chama, Dulce, and Farmington.

A friend of mine from Farmington says the drive from WF is 11 hours, safe to say the northern route is quite a bit more?

loochy 01-22-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9341371)
A friend of mine from Farmington says the drive from WF is 11 hours, safe to say the northern route is quite a bit more?

from WF to Taos is 10 hours with only 1 stop in Amarillo for gas, food, and pee. Taos to Farmington is another 3. The northern drive is full of large mountains, tall trees, and canyons. The southern drive is more desert-like.

Chief_For_Life58 01-22-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 9341366)
When you are coming down from Flagstaff to Phoenix make a day of it and drive the much more scenic route of the 89A through Sedona, Jerome and Prescott. The 89A is a really awesome drive.

your moms a really awesome drive

loochy 01-22-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9341407)
your moms a really awesome drive

it reminds me of this for some reason:

http://www.billfrymire.com/gallery/w...in-vehicle.jpg

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 12:43 PM

If it were just me, I probably would make time for the finer scenery in New Mexico, but, on our first day, with restless kids in the car, I'm just looking to make time and get as close to AZ as possible. I've heard that part of NM is stunning though, and we need to get up there some time.

cosmo20002 01-22-2013 12:46 PM

I heard they have some primo meth in New Mexico. Just ask for Heisenberg's "Blue."

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 12:52 PM

While In New Mexico, should I make time for the Chaco Culture Park?

patteeu 01-22-2013 01:07 PM

Mesa Verde National Park isn't far from Four Corners and it's got some really cool Anasazi (Pueblo) cliff dwellings you can tour.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...liffPalace.jpg

Rain Man 01-22-2013 01:12 PM

You won't regret a Monument Valley drive. I can't imagine a better drive in America.

I remember stopping at a McDonald's in Tuba City when I went through about ten years ago. I don't remember if they had hotels there, but it wasn't a real happenin' place.

If you can make it to the Grand Canyon, you should just do that. Stay in the hotel that's right on the rim and then you'll have a full day there once you get up in the morning. The hotel's not fancy and I think it's a bit expensive, but you're a two-minute walk to the most spectacular view you'll ever see.

2bikemike 01-22-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 9341366)

I second this. While it Sedona you can take a "Pink Jeep" Tour, But if you do make sure you do the one where you do a little rock crawling. I am not sure how its set up as I have never done one but I did go to all the places they did with my FJ. I think they also have a tame tour just cruising around town or something.

Archie F. Swin 01-22-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2bikemike (Post 9341682)
I second this. While it Sedona you can take a "Pink Jeep" Tour, But if you do make sure you do the one where you do a little rock crawling. I am not sure how its set up as I have never done one but I did go to all the places they did with my FJ. I think they also have a tame tour just cruising around town or something.

Just priced the Pink Jeep Tours.....woof!

2bikemike 01-23-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9342265)
Just priced the Pink Jeep Tours.....woof!

That much huh? I never looked them up, It just looked like it might be fun for a family. I bring my own truck and can go anywhere they go.

Sedona is a beautiful place to see. If you like to hike there is some good hiking. Or you can just kick back and enjoy the views. Its just a couple hour ride IIRC from Surprise. You could cruise down to Surprise through Sedona and Jerome for a bit of sight seeing.

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 01-23-2013 01:05 AM

Stay in Flagstaff. The canyon isn't that far and you can take in Route 66, trains and more. Flagstaff to Phoenix is a very quick drive. Stop in Sedona and get lunch at Oak Creek and their brewery. Good beers.

Forgot, you need to stop at Metor Crater and the petrified forest

Where are you staying in Phx?

Straight, No Chaser 01-23-2013 01:21 AM

Your missing some cool places with that itinerary but you can't see it all. Why Monument Valley? I prefer Canyon DeChelly (pronounced Dee-Shay). Met a code-talker there once who explained how he was made to remain "silent" on what he'd done for 20 years, mostly treated like 2nd class citizen since...

Flag is a good base, mountain town, still cold then but several outstanding day trips possible in any direction, even G.C. park (a long day though). Closer yet is Williams where you can take the train to G.C. village, get off for a while, and back (for tourists --sorry but I think that's you). Closer yet is Tusayan, just outside the parks entrance. Average time/visitor at south rim is like 2 hours... most are heading to Vegas. A shame to travel all that way to look down and say Wow. It's probably too late to get a room within the park but it would be worth it, especially El Tovar; Maswick a close second. If you have just one point to visit... it would probably be Desert View and you could do that coming down of 89 as it is the east end.

Archie F. Swin 01-23-2013 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marty Mac Ver 2.0 (Post 9343524)

Where are you staying in Phx?

Not sure. Something that will be convenient to Surprise and my cousin's place east of Deer Valley. Our budget is tight.

Phobia 01-23-2013 05:57 AM

Last time I was there, ENDelt was a regular poster here. But I would caution you to keep a full tank of gas when you can. If you're driving across the dessert, there are strategically placed stations that charge more than $2 more per gallon than other stations 40 miles in either direction. No idea if that practice continues but it did in the mid 200x's.

Archie F. Swin 01-23-2013 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 9343537)
Why Monument Valley?

Its an iconic landscape and something I've always wanted to see in person.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Straight, No Chaser (Post 9343537)
Average time/visitor at south rim is like 2 hours... most are heading to Vegas. A shame to travel all that way to look down and say Wow.

My plan, right now, is to find accommodations in Tusayan and devote most of the next day to Grand Canyon, then finding accommodations in Flagstaff that evening. From Flagstaff we'll take the scenic route to the Valley of the Sun, seeing some sights along the way.

Archie F. Swin 01-26-2013 08:07 AM

I appreciate the help so far....

Marty Mac Ver 2.0 01-26-2013 08:54 AM

There are some decent options along I-17 but there are some "no tell motels" along that stretch as well. There is a nice, newer Drury Inn off I-17 and Pinnacle Peak Road you should consider.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9343636)
Not sure. Something that will be convenient to Surprise and my cousin's place east of Deer Valley. Our budget is tight.

Bob Dole 01-26-2013 08:58 AM

Bob Dole stayed at the Holiday Inn Williams at 950 N Grand Canyon Blvd years ago. Reasonably priced and nice, and a straight shot up to the south rim the next morning.

EagleRob 01-26-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 9341281)
You can stop in Sedona when you're headed to Phoenix and get your chakras aligned via the harmonic convergence.

This

Munson 01-26-2013 04:00 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but traveling through Navajo country was kind of a depressing experience. Last year, I was in Moab, UT and drove south on Highway 191 all the way down to I-40. The landscape was barren, and it seemed like each town was poorer than the one before. In one town, they had a herd of sheep walking and grazing along the side of the highway. I damn near ran over a couple of them. Nobody bothered keep them fenced in. I'm surprised there weren't sheep carcasses all over the place.

It might be worth it to stop by the Meteor Crater just west of Winslow. The admission fee was kind of steep, but its a cool place to visit once in your life. Its amazing to see how huge the crater is in person.

When you go to the Grand Canyon, try to get there a little early. When I was there, the line to get in was long, and parking was a real bitch. I think it took me at least 20 minutes to find a spot. You might want to bring your own lunch and snacks with you. You're gonna be starving after walking around all day.

I love the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix on I-17. One of these days I'll take the scenic view through Sedona like everybody recommends.

scho63 01-27-2013 04:33 PM

Be very careful driving late at night on the highways. Arizona is notorious for drunk drivers going through intersections.

Sedona is beautiful, Lake Havasu, Grand Canyon, Scottsdale/Phoenix has lots to do, and Tuscon is also nice but very much a retirement haven these days.

'Hamas' Jenkins 01-27-2013 04:38 PM

Look white and have identification on you at all times.

Strongside 01-27-2013 05:13 PM

Lived in Phoenix for 3 years and never hit up the GC. I always meant to, but on the way, we'd detour to Vegas instead. If you need help with PHX area itself, PM me...other than that, can't help.

Archie F. Swin 01-27-2013 06:42 PM

I just realized I'm probably not gonna get any deals on accommodations in March in the PHX metro.... spring traning baseball.

suzzer99 01-27-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9341489)
While In New Mexico, should I make time for the Chaco Culture Park?

I enjoyed it immensely. It's very laid-back, not as developed or touristy as Mesa Verde. But if you're into seeing some really cool old ruins you like it. There's a short hike you can do just above the biggest ruin, Pueblo Bonito, that gets you up onto a little bluff overlooking the ruins. I definitely recommend it if you go.

Archie F. Swin 02-19-2013 11:06 AM

How's about stuff for kids to do in greater Phoenix?

Baby Lee 02-19-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munson (Post 9353141)
I don't know about anyone else, but traveling through Navajo country was kind of a depressing experience. Last year, I was in Moab, UT and drove south on Highway 191 all the way down to I-40. The landscape was barren, and it seemed like each town was poorer than the one before. In one town, they had a herd of sheep walking and grazing along the side of the highway. I damn near ran over a couple of them. Nobody bothered keep them fenced in. I'm surprised there weren't sheep carcasses all over the place.

It might be worth it to stop by the Meteor Crater just west of Winslow. The admission fee was kind of steep, but its a cool place to visit once in your life. Its amazing to see how huge the crater is in person.

When you go to the Grand Canyon, try to get there a little early. When I was there, the line to get in was long, and parking was a real bitch. I think it took me at least 20 minutes to find a spot. You might want to bring your own lunch and snacks with you. You're gonna be starving after walking around all day.

I love the drive from Flagstaff to Phoenix on I-17. One of these days I'll take the scenic view through Sedona like everybody recommends.

Weird how stereotypes work. Even at 6yo I'd heard the story of the alcoholic Indian. Then when my grandparents took me to Disneyland by car, we'd take a walk each night. Somewhere in Navajo territory, there were literally drunks passed out in the streets, just lying there with a bottle a couple feet away.

loochy 02-19-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9415387)

McDonald's Playland

LabRat38 02-19-2013 01:59 PM

The family took a vacation to Sedona and the Grand Canyon this past summer. Sedona is pretty cool for the rock formations and hiking/biking trails. I couldn't believe how cool some of the red rocks looked. The drive from Flagstaff to Sedona takes you past some great scenary in Oak Creek Canyon. If you have kids you have to keep your swim trunks handy on this drive and stop at Slide Rock State Park. Where Oak Creek comes down off the mountains it created a set of natural waterslides in the rocks that are awesome to play in. I would suggest have water shoes though because the place is slicker than a gut. The boys enjoyed hitting this place. But those that have said the place is full of spiritualists and hippies is right. Great town to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Also have your hiking boots handy too. There are lots of great hiking trails around Sedona and if you hit up the visitor's bureau they can get you maps and suggestions on hiking trails to try out. Alot of them can be hiked in a couple/few hours. Also if you take out of Sedona on 179 toward I-17 Montezuma Well and Montezuma Castle are both just south of the intersection between 179 and I-17. They are nice to burn an hour each at. Both have Singua cliff dweller ruins. Those were cool too. 179 actually turns into Beaver Creek Road at I-17 and I believe you can just follow it around to the Montezuma's Well. You then need to get on I-17 south to get down to Montezuma's Castle.

lewdog 02-19-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 9415387)

The is Surprise "lake" and huge kids playground behind the spring training baseball fields. They could feed the ducks, do some fishing there and play on all the playground equipment. Pretty nice little area with a walking path all the way around the lake. Basketball and tennis courts there too. You could bring some stuff for a picnic and make a good day of it on the grass there. And it is a quick 10-15 minute walk to the ball fields from there so if your wife could watch the kids, and you went in the morning, you might get to see the Royals morning workouts and meet the players like I did.

I don't have kids so that is kind of all I can think of that I have seen.