ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Andy Reid discusses Casshole, Stanzi, and more (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=269815)

FloridaMan88 02-07-2013 10:51 PM

Andy Reid discusses Casshole, Stanzi, and more

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/07...to-say-if.html

Chiefs’ Reid: Too early to say if Cassel will stay in KC

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Quarterback Matt Cassel has been among the regulars since the end of the season working out at the Chiefs’ Truman Sports Complex practice facility.

That doesn’t necessarily mean Cassel will be a part of things when the Chiefs begin organized team workouts in April. Even though it’s been a month since he took the job as Chiefs head coach, Andy Reid hasn’t made a commitment to Cassel.

“I’m going to just let that play out,’’ Reid said when asked whether Cassel would play for the Chiefs in 2013. “We’re too early in the process to know that. We’ll continue to evaluate it. We’re evaluating him just like we do a free agent. That’s what you do, and the thing about that is it takes time. I think he realizes that. That’s how it works when there’s a change.’’

Cassel was benched midway through last season, his fourth with the Chiefs, and replaced by Brady Quinn. Cassel ranked 32nd and last in passer rating among quarterbacks who threw enough passes to qualify.

Cassel’s 2013 salary is $7.5 million, making it unlikely the Chiefs would retain him unless he’s their starter.

Their other quarterbacks last season were Quinn, a potential unrestricted free agent, Ricky Stanzi and Alex Tanney, who joined the Chiefs last year as an undrafted rookie and spent all season on the injured-reserve list.

Reid was similarly non-committal on whether the Chiefs would attempt to re-sign Quinn, who finished with a lower passer rating than Cassel. He didn’t throw enough passes to qualify for the ranking.

But Reid sounded intrigued by Stanzi. He joined the Chiefs as a fifth-round draft pick from Iowa two years ago but hasn’t played in a regular-season game.

“I watched a ton of his (video) from college,’’ Reid said. “I watched all of it. I watched everything he has from here. There’s just not that much of it. That’s a hard (evaluation). You want to see them in games. I’ve heard good things about him, both of those guys (including Cassel) and actually Brady, too. But with Stanzi you just don’t have as much information.

“There’s probably not enough on Ricky (to have an informed opinion), certainly not enough on what we’ll ask him to do. Matt, you’ve got a little better feel about just because there’s more snaps. Matt’s a good football player.’’

The Chiefs’ list of potential free agents also includes their leading receiver, Dwayne Bowe, two other starters in left tackle Branden Albert and defensive end Glenn Dorsey, and Pro Bowl punter Dustin Colquitt.

Bowe played last season as the franchise player. He would appear to be the most likely candidate to become the franchise player again if the sides don’t agree to terms of a long-term contract first. The period to designate a franchise player begins Feb. 18. Free agency begins in March.

“We’re going through that whole process right now,’’ Reid said when asked which potential free agents would be a priority for the Chiefs to re-sign. “It’s almost too early to say. We’re reaching out. We’re talking to them.’’

Reid said he is getting to know many of the Chiefs players. Others he already knew from his time with Philadelphia. The Eagles hoped to draft some of them, including Albert and safety Eric Berry, and Reid spent time with them as they were coming out of college.

“What’s funny is that some of these kids, Branden being one of them, I had spent a lot of time with before the draft, before they came out,’’ Reid said. “Eric Berry was in here today, making sure his hand was OK. He’s good. So seeing them is kind of funny. Now they’ve all grown up. They’re men and they’ve made it.’’

The Chiefs will begin their organized offseason conditioning program on April 1. They will have 10 offseason practices in May and a mandatory three-day minicamp in June.

Because they have a new head coach, the Chiefs will also have an extra minicamp in May.

Messier 02-07-2013 10:56 PM

Cassel is gone.

mcaj22 02-07-2013 10:57 PM

definitely keeping Albert though cause ole Andy has a ten inch hard on for him

so that's a plus

Hammock Parties 02-07-2013 10:59 PM

We all know how this ends. Thank you for role in ridding us of Pioli, Matt. Now GTFO.

http://i.imgur.com/1dn6SkG.gif

RealSNR 02-07-2013 11:20 PM

You're not on my good list yet, Andy. You still have two tasks left to complete:

1. Cut Cassel
2. Draft a QB at #1 overall

Then and only then will you win me over.

DaWolf 02-07-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 9386478)
definitely keeping Albert though cause ole Andy has a ten inch hard on for him

so that's a plus

Yeah, I got a good vibe on Albert based on those comments and based on Reid trying to trade up for him in Philly.

The Cassel comments, I take those as equivalent to when Reid referred to Pioli as a good friend and said he could definitely work with him. Translation: you're fired...

R8RFAN 02-08-2013 12:11 AM

I bet Cassel is the starting QB

Messier 02-08-2013 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9386542)

You've been doing so well. This one is an obvious reach.

mcaj22 02-08-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9386495)
You're not on my good list yet, Andy. You still have two tasks left to complete:

1. Cut Cassel

i sadly only think that one of these will happen lol

Hammock Parties 02-08-2013 12:13 AM

It would be kinda fun to make Matt eat shit on the bench for a whole year.

I could dig that.

Messier 02-08-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9386549)

I could dig that.

It kinda happened last year, and the feeling was hollow.

R8RFAN 02-08-2013 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9386546)
You've been doing so well. This one is an obvious reach.

I dunno, with a coach like Reid, anything is possible

RealSNR 02-08-2013 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9386551)

Yeah. Any satisfaction I can get out of Matt's misery is pretty much gone. I just want him off this time and out of my memory so I never have to listen to stupid bitches with cancer kids prattle about what a nice person Matt is.

If Matt wants to help cancer kids, he should work for a charity that does that kind of thing. He should NOT be an NFL QB. People who can't separate the two are gullible and foolish.

Deberg_1990 02-08-2013 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 9386468)

But Reid sounded intrigued by Stanzi.

Oh boi.....here we go......

NJChiefsFan 02-08-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 9386551)

Agreed. Happened partly when it became obvious last year he was out of the teams thoughts and the rest when Pioli left. With the new regime it's really not as much a fear of getting Cassel back as it is another retread QB.

He is part of a dark time that in the end had me more exhausted then furious. The season goal of getting Pioli out trumped Matt so much that he really didn't even matter. Clark's changes in the off season just added to his lack of relevance.

Sorter 02-08-2013 12:27 AM

If Reid sounded intrigued, it was probably because he was shocked we never played Stanzi in the regular season.

Imon Yourside 02-08-2013 12:32 AM

Looks like Stanzi is the Manzi again...lolz

Sorter 02-08-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9386571)
Looks like Stanzi is the Manzi again...lolz

I'm sure Andy wants to see if he can turn into something that can be a serviceable backup/trade piece ala Kolb in a few years.

RealSNR 02-08-2013 12:35 AM

I love what Reid said here. "That’s how it works when there’s a change."

Translation: You have no more friends in the front office or the coaching staff, Matt. You're all alone. You have no more excuses. You will be judged the way you should have been judged 4 years ago when you came in, and you will lose.

Imon Yourside 02-08-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9386576)
I'm sure Andy wants to see if he can turn into something that can be a serviceable backup/trade piece ala Kolb in a few years.

Ya hopefully he plays the last game of the season after we go 14-1. We can sit Geno and have Stanzi throw 6 or 7 td's then trade him for a first rounder.

Hammock Parties 02-08-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9386577)
Translation: You have no more friends in the front office or the coaching staff, Matt. You're all alone. You have no more excuses. You will be judged the way you should have been judged 4 years ago when you came in, and you will lose.

*****'s head in alley this morning, tire tread on candy wrapper. This roster is afraid of me. I have seen its true face. The lockers are extended gutters and the gutters are full of shitty QBs and when the cuts come down, all the vermin will drown. The accumulated filth of all their turnovers and overthrown passes will foam up about their waists and Brady Quinn and Matt Cassel will look up and shout "Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

Sorter 02-08-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLER_CLOWN (Post 9386583)
Ya hopefully he plays the last game of the season after we go 14-1. We can sit Geno and have Stanzi throw 6 or 7 td's then trade him for a first rounder.

oh yes. *cackles*

Phobia 02-08-2013 01:10 AM

I can't wait for Stanzi to start. It's in the bag.

Fishpicker 02-08-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

"Matt’s a good football player.’’
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A7SwSd59E4I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1:11 is relevant

DaWolf 02-08-2013 01:47 AM

Check out Reid's interview with Dave Stewart here:

http://youtu.be/Stkgbv9v25Q

Good stuff. Specifically about the QB, he says that his QB must be an extension of him on the field, and that the QB must be able to elevate the game of those around him. He is also specifically asked about whether he believes that he can succeed with a "game manager" at QB and Reid insists that the QB has to be good enough to go win games for you and to raise the level of play around him.

Basically, it's a long way of saying adios Matt Cassel...

NJChiefsFan 02-08-2013 01:49 AM

Reid, and Dorsey for that matter, have made it clear that they think in today's age a QB needs to be a able to win you games. They can't just manage a game.

Hammock Parties 02-08-2013 01:51 AM

Cassel raised Dwayne Bowe's level of play you guys.

AND Jamaal Charles.

Before Matt came to KC they were NOTHING.

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2013 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9386657)
Cassel raised Dwayne Bowe's level of play you guys.

AND Jamaal Charles.

Before Matt came to KC they were NOTHING.

Gee, and here all this time, I thought it was Todd Haley's influence.

:rolleyes:

B14ckmon 02-08-2013 02:07 AM

I got absolutely wasted with Ricky Stanzi on more than one occasion. True story.

NJChiefsFan 02-08-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9386667)
I got absolutely wasted with Ricky Stanzi on more than one occasion. True story.

Did he talk about how kick-ass the USA is?

B14ckmon 02-08-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJChiefsFan (Post 9386671)
Did he talk about how kick-ass the USA is?

No. He is a pretty chill guy.

007 02-08-2013 02:33 AM

Can we start referring to Casshole at THAT QB now? I think he deserves the same treatment as THAT kicker at this point.

KCrockaholic 02-08-2013 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9386685)
Can we start referring to Casshole at THAT QB now? I think he deserves the same treatment as THAT kicker at this point.

Well he did throw 3 INT's in his playoff game. 3.

RunKC 02-08-2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaWolf (Post 9386655)

Good stuff. Specifically about the QB, he says that his QB must be an extension of him on the field, and that the QB must be able to elevate the game of those around him. He is also specifically asked about whether he believes that he can succeed with a "game manager" at QB and Reid insists that the QB has to be good enough to go win games for you and to raise the level of play around him.

This trade down talk they keep saying is worrying. It's almost like they are trying to let people know that they do want to trade out of the 1st overall pick.

mdchiefsfan 02-08-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9386577)
I love what Reid said here. "That’s how it works when there’s a change."

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...Qrbu6RCgjAK8h1

mdchiefsfan 02-08-2013 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9386667)

I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins.

It was Johnny Hopkins, and Sloan Kettering, and they were blazin that shit up everyday.

Unsmooth-Moment 02-08-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdchiefsfan (Post 9386724)
I smoked pot with Johnny Hopkins.

It was Johnny Hopkins, and Sloan Kettering, and they were blazin that shit up everyday.

:)

Red Dawg 02-08-2013 06:08 AM

Reids comments suck. What the hell is there to discuss? Matt and Brady are crap. Film is proof enough. The fact they have not been cut is not good. Anybody is better than keeping them.

Fire Me Boy! 02-08-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tuckdaddy (Post 9386737)
Reids comments suck. What the hell is there to discuss? Matt and Brady are crap. Film is proof enough. The fact they have not been cut is not good. Anybody is better than keeping them.

No need to cut Quinn. He's not under contract. No use in cutting Cassel until FA starts.

the Talking Can 02-08-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

thanks for that

just hearing someone employed by the Chiefs talk about 'great QBs' is weirdly thrilling...

no way in hell that guy is going to war with Matt Cassel....

King_Chief_Fan 02-08-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9386566)
If Reid sounded intrigued, it was probably because he was shocked we never played Stanzi in the regular season.

and with the 2 worst in the league playing in front of him......that would tell me all I need to know about Stanzi.....he is gone

WV 02-08-2013 08:08 AM

Quote:

1. Cut Cassel

This x1000

Reerun_KC 02-08-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

1. Cut Cassel

There is no need now... The fanbase is back on board. Season ticket sales are back on track...

This franchise can keep Cassel, draft Jackwagon and everyone will be on cloud nine again...

Hunt is a freaking genious fleecing the city again... Props to him...

Strongside 02-08-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R8ers (Post 9386542)

I bet you live under a bridge.

PhillyChiefFan 02-08-2013 08:19 AM

"Matt's a good football player."

Andy's nice guy translation: "He sucks ass."

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-08-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoWalrus (Post 9386549)

I could dig that.

With our luck the other two QB's would get injured in game one.

Sorter 02-08-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9386772)
and with the 2 worst in the league playing in front of him......that would tell me all I need to know about Stanzi.....he is gone

See, most of me feels that way. Then the other part of me goes "Hey, remember who was running this ****ing franchise?" So, while I don't have high hopes for Stanzi I do think he should have been evaluated last year/gotten some playing time.

BossChief 02-08-2013 08:48 AM

2 things I got from that:

Albert isnt going anywhere
Stanzi will be given a shot to earn the long term backup roll.

nychief 02-08-2013 08:53 AM

Reid has made chicken salad out of chicken shit with Feely, Kolb, Detmer, Kafka and others... he might be able to get something out of Stanzi City.

Sorter 02-08-2013 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 9386874)
Reid has made chicken salad out of chicken shit with Feely, Kolb, Detmer, Kafka and others... he might be able to get something out of Stanzi City.

It'd be ****ing sweet if he could somehow turn into a competent backup or if we could somehow flip him for a 3rd in two years or something.

KC_Lee 02-08-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 9386879)
It'd be ****ing sweet if he could somehow turn into a competent backup or if we could somehow flip him for a 3rd in two years or something.

Perfect scenario; we develop into something that appears to be a quality backup and trade him to NE for 2nd round pick.

Sorter 02-08-2013 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 9386884)
Perfect scenario; we develop into something that appears to be a quality backup and trade him to NE for 2nd round pick.

Only for them to believe Stanzi is quality and he busts worse than Cassel. They need to suffer for that once Tom leaves NE.

Dayze 02-08-2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9386803)
"Matt's a good football player."

pretty much ROFL

loochy 02-08-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9386868)
2 things I got from that:

Albert isnt going anywhere
Stanzi will be given a shot to earn the long term backup roll.

Why does stanzi deserve this?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ukUHSUVHZvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6 02-08-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Exactly, he knows matty cant execute his style of offense, he's just beating around the bush trying to be a nice guy... delaying the inevitable.

Dayze 02-08-2013 10:01 AM

NIce summary DaWolf for those of us with no sound.

I'm stoked about Reid being here. he seems to 'get it' that you need a GD QB. I think Todd 'got it' too, but was hamstrung by the gestapo.

Based on Reid's comments, there's no way Cassel is still on the team; much less will ever be on the field again.

Fat Elvis 02-08-2013 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 9386721)
This trade down talk they keep saying is worrying. It's almost like they are trying to let people know that they do want to trade out of the 1st overall pick.

I'm not worried about that at all. At this point you really have to say that because some team might offer up some insane package to move up to #1 for whatever reason and you would be a fool to refuse it.

I think Andy spent more time in the interview intimating that the Chiefs were looking at taking a QB with the first pick without simply coming out and saying: "With the first pick of the draft we will select this particular QB." Watch 3:56 to about 6:52 in that video and then tell me that they aren't going to target a QB with the first pick. They are wanting to make sure they get the right QB with that pick.

If Geno was smart, he would watch that video and parrot every single word in that interview back to Reid when he is evaluated by the team.

Maybe one of you guys can tweet it to him, lol.

Beef Supreme 02-08-2013 10:10 AM

"I'm just going to let that play out."

Sounds like Bob Slydell in Office Space. "We fixed the glitch. So, he won't be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it'll just work itself out naturally."

WV 02-08-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyChiefFan (Post 9386803)
"Matt's a good futbol player."

FYP....I think he meant this.

boogblaster 02-08-2013 11:31 AM

bye bye casshole and quinless .. keep the kid he might be a decent bakup sumday .....

ShowtimeSBMVP 02-08-2013 11:54 AM

Don't give up on Childress possibly joining Chiefs
Order Reprints
Former Vikings coach Brad Childress
More News

Read more Chiefs
February 8
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Andy Reid has been Chiefs head coach for a month now, and most of his staff has long been in place. That doesn’t necessarily mean the staff is complete.

There’s still a chance that Brad Childress, former head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, could be joining the Chiefs as an offensive assistant. Reid already has a seemingly bloated staff, but adding the voice of Childress, who also has experience as an offensive coordinator, can only help. Doug Pederson, the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator, is in his first year in that job.

Reid’s staff already numbers 17, and that’s not even counting the coaches for strength and conditioning (there’s three of those guys) or the statistical analysis coordinator. Romeo Crennel’s staff had 15 coaches plus two for strength and conditioning

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/08...#storylink=cpy

WhiteWhale 02-08-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King_Chief_Fan (Post 9386772)

At one point Larry Johnson, Dantrell Savage, AND Jackie Battle were higher on the depth chart than Jamaal Charles.

That hardly said all there was to say about him at the time.

Stanzi probably sucks...based on what I saw of him in NCAA I never thought much of him... but position on the DC when both the head coach and GM are woefully incompetent is probably not the best way to judge it.

MahiMike 02-08-2013 01:40 PM

Cassel getting free gym membership at One Arrowhead Drive...lol

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-08-2013 01:42 PM

Goodbye, ****er.
Posted via Mobile Device

OrtonsPiercedTaint 02-08-2013 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsandO'sfan (Post 9387263)
Don't give up on Childress possibly joining Chiefs
Order Reprints
Former Vikings coach Brad Childress
More News

Read more Chiefs
February 8
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

Andy Reid has been Chiefs head coach for a month now, and most of his staff has long been in place. That doesn’t necessarily mean the staff is complete.

There’s still a chance that Brad Childress, former head coach of the Minnesota Vikings, could be joining the Chiefs as an offensive assistant. Reid already has a seemingly bloated staff, but adding the voice of Childress, who also has experience as an offensive coordinator, can only help. Doug Pederson, the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator, is in his first year in that job.

Reid’s staff already numbers 17, and that’s not even counting the coaches for strength and conditioning (there’s three of those guys) or the statistical analysis coordinator. Romeo Crennel’s staff had 15 coaches plus two for strength and conditioning

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2013/02/08...#storylink=cpy

I hope Chilly was good at time management. He can be the new Father Time.

Ace Gunner 02-08-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 9386468)
"Matt’s a good football player.’’

Okay. Reid's presser after week 4 2013 season. sonofabitch :cuss: