ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU ***OFFICIAL KU VS. OSU GAME THREAD*** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270210)

Mr_Tomahawk 02-20-2013 08:44 AM

***OFFICIAL KU VS. OSU GAME THREAD***

Let's do this...

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 08:47 AM

Okie Lite favored by 1:
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-.../date/02-20-13

Reerun_KC 02-20-2013 08:51 AM

OSU only favored by 1?

JFC didnt these asshats watch the TCU game or the OU game? OSU is a much better team than either one of those and both of those teams whipped our ass all day long..

OSU can win this game by 8-10.

ChiTown 02-20-2013 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9418359)
OSU only favored by 1?

JFC didnt these asshats watch the TCU game or the OU game? OSU is a much better team than either one of those and both of those teams whipped our ass all day long..

I'm guessing you guys don't want me on here rooting for OSU this evening?:evil:

Reerun_KC 02-20-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9418364)
I'm guessing you guys don't want me on here rooting for OSU this evening?:evil:

By all means come on...

IF KU shows up and plays like they can, it will be a great game...

IF they play like they did against TCU or OU, OSU will run them right out of Stillwater...

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

OSU only favored by 1?

I've found over the years that those who think Vegas is wrong, usually are the wrong ones.

Saul Good 02-20-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9418369)
I've found over the years that those who think Vegas is wrong, usually are the wrong ones.

Yep

That said, if you like to gamble, take a look at the Kentucky line tonight...seems off by about six points to me.

Saul Good 02-20-2013 09:37 AM

This is a really interesting matchup. Looking forward to it.

Smart may be the best player in the country.

McLemore has the ability to be the best player in the country on any given night, but he hasn't even been the best player on his own team this year.

I can't wait to see who wins that matchup.

TLO 02-20-2013 09:44 AM

In for a KU win

Ceej 02-20-2013 09:47 AM

Huge game tonight.

Bearcat 02-20-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

OSU only favored by 1?

Maybe they know those two games have nothing to do with tonight? :shrug:

Do you host your own sports talk radio show?

Reerun_KC 02-20-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 9418459)
Maybe they know those two games have nothing to do with tonight? :shrug:

Do you host your own sports talk radio show?

No but I refuse to bury my head in the sand and over look what happened at during that 3 game stretch...

Guess we will see tonight. But this isnt a cake walk for KU... They have to play flawless tonight in order to beat OSU...

Ceej 02-20-2013 10:01 AM

Any smart KU fan knows this is not a cake walk.

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9418444)
Brown may be the best player in the country.

Huh? Did you mean Smart?

Saul Good 02-20-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9418518)
Huh? Did you mean Smart?

Yes, edited. I even looked at my post, thought it sounded funny, and left it alone. Damn

ChiTown 02-20-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9418518)
Huh? Did you mean Smart?

Markel Brown is very good, but I think he means Marcus Smart

Braincase 02-20-2013 10:29 AM

If KU plays like they have the last two games, I think they'll be just fine at the end of the night. No back flips, but walking with a swagger.

WhawhaWhat 02-20-2013 10:35 AM

I am a Mizzou grad and fan, but I am really looking forward to this game. I really enjoy watching Ben McLemore and Marcus Smart play and I think the game tonight is going to be great in a great atmosphere.

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiTown (Post 9418595)
Markel Brown is very good, but I think he means Marcus Smart

Yeah, I know he does. He's not a basketball fan though, he admitted.

Mr. Laz 02-20-2013 10:58 AM

what will KU do about OSU pulling Withey away from the basket?

Lzen 02-20-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9418496)
Any smart KU fan knows this is not a cake walk.

ROFL

Saul Good 02-20-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9418673)
Yeah, I know he does. He's not a basketball fan though, he admitted.

I'm a basketball fan. I'm just more of a football fan. That's not why I said Brown instead of Smart, though. That was just me not being very...um...smart.

kstater 02-20-2013 11:05 AM

Best wishes in joining the Cats atop the standings again.

Saul Good 02-20-2013 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 9418703)
what will KU do about OSU pulling Withey away from the basket?

What CAN you do, really? I spouse you can switch to zone if you're getting killed by it. OSU doesn't really have a big time post presence. You would think Withey would dominate, but he struggles on both sides of the ball when playing teams that play this style.

Pablo 02-20-2013 11:22 AM

This one should be fun. Just hope we get solid play from EJ and limit the number of easy shots Smart gets. Can't wait until 8. Rock Chalk!

Lzen 02-20-2013 11:24 AM

Quote:

“From a competitive standpoint, we did find that sort of disrespectful,” said KU junior forward Justin Wesley. “At the end of the day, that was a good team. They did deserve the win. Hopefully we can keep the backflips from coming this time.”
http://www2.kusports.com/news/2013/f...ens_basketball

Mr. Laz 02-20-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9418737)
What CAN you do, really? I spouse you can switch to zone if you're getting killed by it. OSU doesn't really have a big time post presence. You would think Withey would dominate, but he struggles on both sides of the ball when playing teams that play this style.

zone defense off and on throughout the game

make sure you have withey on the worse outside shooter when not in zone

make them pay on the defense end(which means don't allow the 2 small guys to double Withey)

saphojunkie 02-20-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9418444)
This is a really interesting matchup. Looking forward to it.

Smart may be the best player in the country.

McLemore has the ability to be the best player in the country on any given night, but he hasn't even been the best player on his own team this year.

I can't wait to see who wins that matchup.

Uh... yes he has.

KC_Connection 02-20-2013 11:55 AM

I'm tired of this whining from some of the players about the back flip. If they didn't want the guy to do a back flip in celebration, they shouldn't have bitched out on their home court and let him walk all over them during that game. Smart can and should celebrate that win however he pleases, it was a big one.

saphojunkie 02-20-2013 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9418479)
No but I refuse to bury my head in the sand and over look what happened at during that 3 game stretch...

Guess we will see tonight. But this isnt a cake walk for KU... They have to play flawless tonight in order to beat OSU...

Wow... flawless? We're really giving OSU that much credit here? Look, they're a good team, a really good team, but neither KU nor OSU has to play flawless to win. Chill out with the hyperbole.

OSU played damn near flawlessly - certainly Markel Brown did - last game. If you expect him to go off from three again you're putting a lot of faith in an action that is difficult to replicate.

KC_Connection 02-20-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9418953)
Uh... yes he has.

Withey is much more important to KU's success than McLemore. Does that make him a "better player?" Hard to answer that.

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Uh... yes he has.

Not if you go by plus/minus. Travis leads the team at 13.2, and Withey/Ben are close at 12.3/12.2.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/sta...ason=2012-2013

KC_Connection 02-20-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

OSU only favored by 1?

KenPom has OSU winning by 1. Vegas lines usually correspond quite closely to those predictions.

ArrowheadHawk 02-20-2013 12:12 PM

If KU plays with the renewed swagger they found last week it will be a fun game.

saphojunkie 02-20-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9418977)
Not if you go by plus/minus. Travis leads the team at 13.2, and Withey/Ben are close at 12.3/12.2.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/sta...ason=2012-2013

Plus/minus might be the worst statistic in sports. All it factors in is whether or not a player was on the floor. Not A) who was on the floor with him, B) Who was on the floor opposite him, C) what he did on the floor.

I could have a shitty plus/minus because my teammates can't guard Markel Brown. Then both Markel Brown and I sit on the bench. Now my team starts clicking. Then I come back in with Markel Brown and we're outscored. Yay, I got a shitty plus/minus.

Ben McLemore has been the best player on this team, the most complete, the biggest playmaker, the ONLY go-to scorer and a clutch defender.

Withey is by far the best shot defender, releford the best man defender, Young has outclassed the entire league in hustle plays.

But no one has done what McLemore has done. Come on, people, let's not get silly here.

His third game in uniform he dropped 25 points. He isn't as consistent as the four seniors, but he has been the best player.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 9418975)
Withey is much more important to KU's success than McLemore. Does that make him a "better player?" Hard to answer that.

That's a good question. Is most valuable the same as most outstanding or "best"? You could make an argument there. I think I might still put McLemore as more valuable than withey. If withey comes out, you can do things to make up for his production and defense. You can't replace them - certainly not the defense - but you can change your scheme to cover for the void.

You cannot replace what McLemore does.

Lzen 02-20-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Uh... yes he has.

I usually just try to ignore silly MUrons when they talk about KU as if they know anything. :shake:

Reerun_KC 02-20-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9419043)
I usually just try to ignore silly MUrons when they talk about KU as if they know anything. :shake:

But they really know KU... Saul Good and Prison dude says so...

teedubya 02-20-2013 01:19 PM

Eat a bag of dicks, Oklahoma State.

Braincase 02-20-2013 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 9418736)
Best wishes in joining the Cats atop the standings again.

All we have to is not get swept.

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 01:36 PM

Go Osu!

Saul Good 02-20-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9419009)
Plus/minus might be the worst statistic in sports. All it factors in is whether or not a player was on the floor. Not A) who was on the floor with him, B) Who was on the floor opposite him, C) what he did on the floor.

I could have a shitty plus/minus because my teammates can't guard Markel Brown. Then both Markel Brown and I sit on the bench. Now my team starts clicking. Then I come back in with Markel Brown and we're outscored. Yay, I got a shitty plus/minus.

Ben McLemore has been the best player on this team, the most complete, the biggest playmaker, the ONLY go-to scorer and a clutch defender.

Withey is by far the best shot defender, releford the best man defender, Young has outclassed the entire league in hustle plays.

But no one has done what McLemore has done. Come on, people, let's not get silly here.

His third game in uniform he dropped 25 points. He isn't as consistent as the four seniors, but he has been the best player.

That's a good question. Is most valuable the same as most outstanding or "best"? You could make an argument there. I think I might still put McLemore as more valuable than withey. If withey comes out, you can do things to make up for his production and defense. You can't replace them - certainly not the defense - but you can change your scheme to cover for the void.

You cannot replace what McLemore does.

Withey is the best player on the team so far this year. Ben has the higher upside and will become the better player, but Withey as a senior is better than Ben as a freshman.

Withey is on another level defensively. He completely changes the game, and he does it without fouling. It's pretty incredible. He's also an underrated scorer. He shoots a higher percentage that Ben, and he has more points per attempt than Ben. Obviously, he doesn't create like Ben, though.

McLemore is incredibly talented, but he isn't dominant yet. There are times when he does things that nobody else in college basketball can do, but there are other times where he just kind of stands sound and blends into the background. He isn't the defender Withey is. He isn't the rebounder Withey is. You wouldn't expect a guard to be, but he isn't a guy who creates for his teammates particularly well, and he has more turnovers than assists. He really doesn't even score much more than Withey despite the fact that he shoots 26% more often.

Don't get me wrong, I'm being hyper-critical in order to illustrate Withey's relative value. Ben is an amazing player, and it wouldn't shock me to see him go Carmello Anthony in the tournament. So far, though, Withey is the much better player. I don't think Kansas fans appreciate just how good he is.

Withey averages 13.2 ppg while shooting 55% from the field and 70% from the line, 8.4 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 1.6 fouls per game.

Last year, Anthony Davis won NPOTY with numbers that were very similar. They were better, but not by all that much.

KC_Connection 02-20-2013 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saphojunkie (Post 9419009)
If withey comes out, you can do things to make up for his production and defense. You can't replace them - certainly not the defense - but you can change your scheme to cover for the void.

Sure, you can change your scheme to try to make up for it but it wouldn't be anywhere close to better. His presence alone forces teams into taking low percentage jump shots rather than attacking the basket. Without Withey, you can't force teams into doing that anymore. I've said he's the most irreplaceable player on the team before and I haven't seen anything that would deter me there.

Lzen 02-20-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 9419168)
But they really know KU... Saul Good and Prison dude says so...

Wait, are you saying Prison Bitch is a MU fan? I thought he was a KU fan.

KC_Connection 02-20-2013 02:15 PM

And I'm not trying to knock McLemore. He is probably the most impressive pro prospect I've seen in the NCAA this season, other than perhaps Nerlens Noel at his best. But Withey means a lot more to this team.

Lzen 02-20-2013 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9419280)
Withey is the best player on the team so far this year. Ben has the higher upside and will become the better player, but Withey as a senior is better than Ben as a freshman.

Withey is on another level defensively. He completely changes the game, and he does it without fouling. It's pretty incredible. He's also an underrated scorer. He shoots a higher percentage that Ben, and he has more points per attempt than Ben. Obviously, he doesn't create like Ben, though.

McLemore is incredibly talented, but he isn't dominant yet. There are times when he does things that nobody else in college basketball can do, but there are other times where he just kind of stands sound and blends into the background. He isn't the defender Withey is. He isn't the rebounder Withey is. You wouldn't expect a guard to be, but he isn't a guy who creates for his teammates particularly well, and he has more turnovers than assists. He really doesn't even score much more than Withey despite the fact that he shoots 26% more often.

Don't get me wrong, I'm being hyper-critical in order to illustrate Withey's relative value. Ben is an amazing player, and it wouldn't shock me to see him go Carmello Anthony in the tournament. So far, though, Withey is the much better player. I don't think Kansas fans appreciate just how good he is.

Withey averages 13.2 ppg while shooting 55% from the field and 70% from the line, 8.4 rebounds, 4 blocks, and 1.6 fouls per game.

Last year, Anthony Davis won NPOTY with numbers that were very similar. They were better, but not by all that much.

Perhaps I was a bit harsh earlier. This is actually a very good argument. Nice job, Saul. Are you sure you're not a KU hoops fan? :hmmm:

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9419370)
Wait, are you saying Prison Bitch is a MU fan? I thought he was a KU fan.

Grad, even. I just grew up in and live in Missouri.

Ceej 02-20-2013 02:23 PM

Saul Good is good people.

Usually has pretty good takes. And is pretty unbiased.

We could probably convert him to crimson and blue fairly easily.

Saul Good 02-20-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9419377)
Perhaps I was a bit harsh earlier. This is actually a very good argument. Nice job, Saul. Are you sure you're not a KU hoops fan? :hmmm:

I've watched as much KU basketball as anyone on this board. I just enjoy ****ing with Wickedson and Prison Bitch.

I'm sure I'll be in a bar tonight with a table full of friends who went to KU. (Sometimes they like to go to places that don't have pictures on the menus, so they need someone who didn't go to KU to help them order.)

Saul Good 02-20-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJizzles (Post 9419399)
Saul Good is good people.

Usually has pretty good takes. And is pretty unbiased.

We could probably convert him to crimson and blue fairly easily.

This board converted me away from them. The Hawks were my second favorite team behind Mizzou for my entire life. When realignment happened, KU fans turned into such bitches that I said "**** it".

Most of the KU fans have gotten over their periods, so it's cool. Wickedson is really the only annoying bitch, and KU fans seem to think he's an idiot, too.

Prison Bitch seems like he just likes to talk shit because he enjoys it. I secretly respect that.

Ceej 02-20-2013 02:32 PM

You need to get out a little more if a message board has any bearing on who you root or don't root for.

I know KU fans are an arrogant bunch -- for the most part. But, not all of us are that way.

HolyHat 02-20-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9419412)
This board converted me away from them. The Hawks were my second favorite team behind Mizzou for my entire life. When realignment happened, KU fans turned into such bitches that I said "**** it".

Most of the KU fans have gotten over their periods, so it's cool. Wickedson is really the only annoying bitch, and KU fans seem to think he's an idiot, too.

Prison Bitch seems like he just likes to talk shit because he enjoys it. I secretly respect that.

:spock:

Saul Good 02-20-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Pink (Post 9419431)
:spock:

I lived in both states at times when I was young and had no family connection to either school. I always pulled for the local teams...KSU to a lesser extent, even.

HolyHat 02-20-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9419503)
I lived in both states at times when I was young and had no family connection to either school. I always pulled for the local teams...KSU to a lesser extent, even.

un|der|stand|a|ble

Did you attend any of these schools?

Chiefs Pantalones 02-20-2013 05:28 PM

"We need a payback type attitude going down there." --Bill Self

DJay23 02-20-2013 05:57 PM

In Self I trust. It's difficult to beat him once. Twice? I would think he'll make the necessary adjustments, and the team is playing with the right frame of mind, the right bounce to pull it off.

This was always going to be a hard one to win though, so a loss even if we play well will not shock me.

DJay23 02-20-2013 06:04 PM

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/fiv...nst-home-favo/

Titty Meat 02-20-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs Pantalones (Post 9419920)
"We need a payback type attitude going down there." --Bill Self

Im sure there were a million but huh uhs in that statement.

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 06:10 PM

I think over the past 16 years, we've been underdogs an average of about 3x/yr. This will be the second time this year, after the +5 spread at Ohio State. A couple books are putting this as a pick em:
http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-...m/date/2-20-13

Bambi 02-20-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9419412)

It's all good Saul. Come on board. There's room for everyone.

Bambi 02-20-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJay23 (Post 9420002)
In Self I trust. It's difficult to beat him once. Twice? I would think he'll make the necessary adjustments, and the team is playing with the right frame of mind, the right bounce to pull it off.

This was always going to be a hard one to win though, so a loss even if we play well will not shock me.

Except for Kentucky last year has Self ever lost twice to the same team in one year?

Bambi 02-20-2013 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 9419280)

It's crazy Withey doesn't get more National Player of the Year pub. He's as good as anyone out there.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-20-2013 06:23 PM

Storm that court Pokes

CoMoChief 02-20-2013 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 9420086)
It's crazy Withey doesn't get more National Player of the Year pub. He's as good as anyone out there.

he would have more pub if he was a better scorer

Bambi 02-20-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 9420099)
he would have more pub if he was a better scorer

Slight alterations to the offense and he would. Oh well. Get this one tonight.

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 9420096)
Storm that court Pokes

They stormed the court Saturday vs OU when they were ranked and the Sooners weren't.

DJay23 02-20-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 9420080)
Except for Kentucky last year has Self ever lost twice to the same team in one year?

I can't think of any off the top of my head. At least since he's been at KU.

Bambi 02-20-2013 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 9420113)
They stormed the court Saturday vs OU when they were ranked and the Sooners weren't.

I secretly love when teams storm the court vs KU. It's so cute.

Pasta Little Brioni 02-20-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

I know :) Will they bring brooms this time?

Chiefs Pantalones 02-20-2013 07:34 PM

Every day I'm Rock Chalkalin'

Bearcat 02-20-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 9420080)

Not since his first year, when they lost to Texas in Austin and then Dallas in the Big 12 tourney.

Lzen 02-20-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Seriously? Wtf?

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 9420423)
Seriously? Wtf?

Seth was giving Gottleib flack for it Saturday on the CBS show. Gottleib didn't disagree

Prison Bitch 02-20-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wickedson (Post 9420122)
I secretly love when teams storm the court vs KU. It's so cute.

Like dean told Roy: "the day they stop storming the court is the day I start to worry"

Ceej 02-20-2013 08:07 PM

You can't foul there, Elijah.

TLO 02-20-2013 08:09 PM

Dumb foul by EJ. Sloppy start for both teams.

Ceej 02-20-2013 08:11 PM

Nice start for Kevin.

Bambi 02-20-2013 08:12 PM

Great start. Nothing falling but winning anyway. Love getting points the hardway.

Ceej 02-20-2013 08:15 PM

Baby face Releford.

Ceej 02-20-2013 08:20 PM

STFU Bardo.

DJay23 02-20-2013 08:24 PM

So Rio is on the sideline.