ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Ok so I'm curious if this scenario happens (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270644)

chiefscafan 03-02-2013 12:58 PM

Ok so I'm curious if this scenario happens

What if Oakland wants geno but jets , buffalo, and cardinals want him.

Those who know draft compensation what could we realistically get for trading down.

Mother****erJones 03-02-2013 01:00 PM

It depends on how much they really want him. Which isnt much I'm guessing because he isn't heavily coveted. Hopefully we could get a 2nd and next years 1 for moving back far enough

Mr_Tomahawk 03-02-2013 01:00 PM

Alex Smith.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-02-2013 01:00 PM

The number 2 pick is worth less points than the 1. Why not just trade with Jacksonville? That's what we've done to ourselves. Again.

KCUnited 03-02-2013 01:01 PM

I'm sure Jacksonville could get a pretty nice haul.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-02-2013 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9457006)
It depends on how much they really want him. Which isnt much I'm guessing because he isn't heavily coveted. Hopefully we could get a 2nd and next years 1 for moving back far enough

This , so we can draft Johnny Football and finally have our QBOTF.

Rasputin 03-02-2013 01:02 PM

I agree with Mr.Flopnuts Jags are the team that could score a deal to move back. Teams know we wont draft a QB and are lame ducks with picking LT Jackoff (sp)

philfree 03-02-2013 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9457015)
I agree with Mr.Flopnuts Jags are the team that could score a deal to move back. Teams know we wont draft a QB and are lame ducks with picking LT Jackoff (sp)

If there's two or three teams wanting Geno Smith I'm not sure trading up to #2 will cut it unless that happens after we've already made our pick. I would think that if a team is counting on G. Smith for their QB they'd want to secure him before the draft. The only way that happens is by trading up to #1.

Hog's Gone Fishin 03-02-2013 01:20 PM

We should just draft his ass and as each teams gets on the clock offer him up for trade.

**** the Jaguars !

Hound333 03-02-2013 01:24 PM

The jags get a trade down only if one team wants Geno. If its two teams they will be bidding with us. You can't take the chance that the other team would trade up to 1.

TribalElder 03-02-2013 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 9457007)
Alex Smith Sucks.

fixed

B14ckmon 03-02-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hound333 (Post 9457075)
The jags get a trade down only if one team wants Geno. If its two teams they will be bidding with us. You can't take the chance that the other team would trade up to 1.

Unless Reid has a bunch of people in mind he wants in the first round, the asking price will be higher. Reports seem to indicate that he wants Joeckel, while the Jags have been mocked like 15 different players because of all the possibilities of who they could pick. I think it's much more likely that the Jaguars asking price will be lower even if 3 teams are bidding for it.

Hound333 03-02-2013 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9457087)
Unless Reid has a bunch of people in mind he wants in the first round, the asking price will be higher. Reports seem to indicate that he wants Joeckel, while the Jags have been mocked like 15 different players because of all the possibilities of who they could pick. I think it's much more likely that the Jaguars asking price will be lower even if 3 teams are bidding for it.

True, but if your the Bills or Raiders, do you wait till the Chiefs pick and hope that the Cards don't grab the KC pick or do you just pony up. I guess the whole business is a gamble but if I think Geno is my man, im talking to KC and not screwing around.

philfree 03-02-2013 01:35 PM

The only way a team is guaranteed Geno Smith is by getting the #1 pick before the draft. I would think that waiting till draft day to see what happened witht he first pick would be risky as hell and really foolish. And no team is going to trade up to #2 before the draft to get Geno because they'll just get leap frogged by the other team that wants him. If two teams are gunning for Geno Smith they're going to have to deal with the Chiefs.

B14ckmon 03-02-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hound333 (Post 9457091)
True, but if your the Bills or Raiders, do you wait till the Chiefs pick and hope that the Cards don't grab the KC pick or do you just pony up. I guess the whole business is a gamble but if I think Geno is my man, im talking to KC and not screwing around.

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting the Chiefs might take Geno? Because there is no chance that's happening.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 01:44 PM

To actually answer the OP:

We'll need to basically swap 1sts, get their 1st next year, and their 2nd this year.

If we get anything other than that, we're gravy.

That doesn't sound like a lot, but truth be told, the Chiefs really need to trade down, teams don't particularly value the #1 that much this year, and the talent gap between, say, pick 1 and pick 7 isn't that great.

If the Chiefs want to trade down, they need to offer a bargain. Because that's the only way this is happening.

philfree 03-02-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9457127)

We'll need to basically swap 1sts, get their 1st next year, and their 2nd this year.

That doesn't sound like a lot, but truth be told, the Chiefs really need to trade down, teams don't particularly value the #1 that much this year, and the talent gap between, say, pick 1 and pick 7 isn't that great.

If the Chiefs want to trade down, they need to offer a bargain. Because that's the only way this is happening.

I don't believe this is so. In the end QBs rule and the best QB in the draft is a commodity and if a team wants to guarantee his services then they need the 1st pick in the draft. And that shit ain't cheap. I'm not saying we should try and overcharge I'm just saying that the 1st pick in the draft has plenty of value if other teams are wanting Geno Smith.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9457015)

People forget the Jags have a new head coach who has no loyalty to Gabbert.

B14ckmon 03-02-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9457196)

And a new GM who was helping Dimitroff when they took Matt Ryan

Direckshun 03-02-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9457199)
And a new GM who was helping Dimitroff when they took Matt Ryan

Yup.

The Jags are also openly saying they want to build around Gabbert, which is a sign as well.

The Jags probably want a QB. I don't know if that means they won't take one, but it does mean they won't be looking to trade down.

In which case, the cheese stands alone at the top of the draft if you're looking for a trade partner.

B14ckmon 03-02-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9457218)
Yup.

The Jags are also openly saying they want to build around Gabbert, which is a sign as well.

The Jags probably want a QB. I don't know if that means they won't take one, but it does mean they won't be looking to trade down.

In which case, the cheese stands alone at the top of the draft if you're looking for a trade partner.

If the Chiefs are going to trade down, it's going to be with a team who wants Joeckel. But I don't see Reid passing up on him, especially if it's further enough down to where they could also miss on Fisher.

philfree 03-02-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

That's right so if a team wants G. Smith they have to get to #1.

After the disappointment of apparently not going with Geno a good draft could help sooth some of that. The 1st step to that is moving that 1st pick so we get back into the 2nd round this year and netting a 1st next year and hopefully more then that. After that we have to nail our picks. None the less this is where I'm at in the 2013 offseason. If we're not taking Geno then we must get that trade done.

philfree 03-02-2013 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9457227)
If the Chiefs are going to trade down, it's going to be with a team who wants Joeckel. But I don't see Reid passing up on him, especially if it's further enough down to where they could also miss on Fisher.

You keep telling yourself that. :LOL:

B14ckmon 03-02-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9457246)
That's right so if a team wants G. Smith they have to get to #1.

After the disappointment of apparently not going with Geno a good draft could help sooth some of that. The 1st step to that is moving that 1st pick so we get back into the 2nd round this year and netting a 1st next year and hopefully more then that. After that we have to nail our picks. None the less this is where I'm at in the 2013 offseason. If we're not taking Geno then we must get that trade done.

...There is 0 chance the Chiefs are taking Geno. And everyone knows it.

patteeu 03-02-2013 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indignayshun (Post 9457127)

If it's the Raiders (3) or Philadelphia (4), I think I'd be willing to take even less than that. Maybe a swap of 1sts along with 2nds from this year and next. Of course, I'd try to get more, but in the end, I'd settle for that. I agree with you that they'll need to do it at a discount rate.

philfree 03-02-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9457264)
...There is 0 chance the Chiefs are taking Geno. And everyone knows it.

Well aren't you a daisey!

melbar 03-02-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

As long as there's a chance the Jags want a QB you have to jump them. The deal would depend on how far down you go. Any deal should involve next years 1 and a swap of 1's for this year base package. Extra picks depend on how far down IMO...

patteeu 03-02-2013 02:21 PM

If anyone in the NFL liked Geno Smith as much as most of the more vocal ChiefsPlanet draft experts, we could get a Ditka-like haul.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9457269)
If it's the Raiders (3) or Philadelphia (4), I think I'd be willing to take even less than that. Maybe a swap of 1sts along with 2nds from this year and next. Of course, I'd try to get more, but in the end, I'd settle for that. I agree with you that they'll need to do it at a discount rate.

Right. Good point.

Honestly, now that Geno's out of consideration, absolutely any player we want at 1 will be there at 4. Replacing our 2nds from the Alex Smith trade would probably be enough for me as well. That would mean, essentially, we traded Alex Smith for Geno Smith.

I say 4, because there's simply no chance that KC and Oakland pull off a trade.

B14ckmon 03-02-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9457293)
Right. Good point.

Honestly, now that Geno's out of consideration, absolutely any player we want at 1 will be there at 4.

I say 4, because there's simply no chance that KC and Oakland pull off a trade.

I don't think Joeckel will be there at 4. I could see the Eagles going with him, or Dion Jordan. No idea about the raiders.

RealSNR 03-02-2013 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9457127)

**** me. I had just completely forgotten how much we ****ed ourselves in the draft by trading away our 2nd rounder.

Your post reminded me how the kinds of players we need aren't available at #1 overall but will be available in round 2. We're going to be forced to take an OT that we don't ****ing need.

**** **** **** ****. **** you Reid. **** you Dorsey. **** your families. **** Clark Hunt. **** the Chiefs.

patteeu 03-02-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9457302)
**** me. I had just completely forgotten how much we ****ed ourselves in the draft by trading away our 2nd rounder.

Your post reminded me how the kinds of players we need aren't available at #1 overall but will be available in round 2. We're going to be forced to take an OT that we don't ****ing need.

**** **** **** ****. **** you Reid. **** you Dorsey. **** your families. **** Clark Hunt. **** the Chiefs.

It's going to be alright. Everything is going to be alright.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B14ckmon (Post 9457301)
I don't think Joeckel will be there at 4. I could see the Eagles going with him, or Dion Jordan. No idea about the raiders.

Then we take Eric Fisher.

Fisher = Joeckel

I'd probably take Fisher over Joeckel.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNR (Post 9457302)

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

It's not your fault.

philfree 03-02-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9457360)
Then we take Eric Fisher.

Fisher = Joeckel

I'd probably take Fisher over Joeckel.

How bout we sign Albert or another FA T and draft a playmaker. Swapping a vet T for a rookie just to save some money isn't what we this team needs.

BlackHelicopters 03-02-2013 02:58 PM

Jags seem to be in control. However, they rival us and Oakland in "The most ****ed up Franchise" race.

farmerchief 03-02-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 9457378)
How bout we sign Albert or another FA T and draft a playmaker. Swapping a vet T for a rookie just to save some money isn't what we this team needs.

i agree!

Coogs 03-02-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 9457269)

In all seriousness, I wouldn't mind if the Chiefs got #4 and #35 from Philly, and then turned #4 into #16 and #22 from the Rams.

BossChief 03-02-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9457127)

This

BossChief 03-02-2013 03:37 PM

I can see Buffalo giving us their #8 and #40 along with next years first or second to move up.

The owner said that they want to move up for a quarterback.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 9457578)
I can see Buffalo giving us their #8 and #40 along with next years first or second to move up.

The owner said that they want to move up for a quarterback.

I'll take a 1st round swap and two 2nds, please. We can probably get Lane Johnson at 8.

Chiefshrink 03-02-2013 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by melbar (Post 9457277)
As long as there's a chance the Jags want a QB you have to jump them.

This. The Jags need a QB about as bad as we do and how in the hell do you pass on Geno ? I say if Andy/John were smart they would be quietly playing the "Jags will take Geno card" to Buffalo,Philly,Jets and the Browns and playing that card hard.:thumb:

'Hamas' Jenkins 03-02-2013 05:13 PM

Honestly, I'd be willing to drop down to seven or eight just for second round compensation. That's how badly we ****ed ourselves.

Mr. Flopnuts 03-02-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9457594)
I'll take a 1st round swap and two 2nds, please. We can probably get Lane Johnson at 8.

We could probably still get Fisher there.

HIChief 03-02-2013 06:28 PM

Why?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9457939)
We could probably still get Fisher there.

Okay; can someone explain why we ought to take an OT at all this year? I thought we were set at those positions with Albert and Winston? Couldn't we still take one of the top QB prospects after trading back a bit, and develop him under A. Smith? Did G. Smith fanatics really just want to take him and throw him on the gridiron and let him sink or swim? The folks with this sky-is-falling outlook are over-reacting I think. There's a way to do this draft to secure a competitive team now and build it even better for the future, and I think Reid and Dorsey are strategizing for it. It's not out of the realm of possibility we still take a QB in the 1st or second round after we trade back to recover that second rounder. I also would like to see the Chiefs pick up an offensive weapon like another receiver with one of those first two picks.

Hammock Parties 03-02-2013 06:48 PM

Why the **** do people suddenly want an OT?

philfree 03-02-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9458133)

They've read or heard it enough that they are now brainwashed. Besides that there is no rational reason.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9458133)

If Albert walks, you can't trust Stephenson for 16 games on the blind side. Not yet, anyway.

PA Chiefs 03-02-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9458439)
If Albert walks, you can't trust Stephenson for 16 games on the blind side. Not yet, anyway.

sign Andre Smith Cincy won't and he may be cheaper than Albert

Hammock Parties 03-02-2013 08:25 PM

Quote:

I'm not even thinking about an OT until Albert is on another team.

BigMeatballDave 03-02-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

So, we just completely waste a 3rd rd pick by risking a 1st?

Direckshun 03-02-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go to Hell (Post 9458506)
I'm not even thinking about an OT until Albert is on another team.

Then that's the difference between you and I.

Direckshun 03-02-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave (Post 9458508)
So, we just completely waste a 3rd rd pick by risking a 1st?

Wha?

Stephenson is a valuable member of this team. But he's not a 16-game starter at LT.

Not yet, anyway.

BigMeatballDave 03-02-2013 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Direckshun (Post 9458524)
Wha?

Stephenson is a valuable member of this team. But he's not a 16-game starter at LT.

Not yet, anyway.

But Joeckel is?

He's a junior.

cardken2 03-02-2013 08:40 PM

The Jets aren't in the Geno race, their cap is screwed, they are stuck with Sanchez and any c level QB they can bring in.

Hoover 03-02-2013 09:26 PM

We need to hope the Lions or someone really want Jockel and are willing to trade up to get him.

rtmike 03-02-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog Farmer (Post 9457061)
We should just draft his ass and as each teams gets on the clock offer him up for trade.

**** the Jaguars !

Or if there's a rumored deal with Jacksonville, let time expire. Pretty sure you basically just fall to the 2nd pick. But would they deal with a team in their conference? Unless Arizona is smitten with Geno??

saphojunkie 03-02-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9457008)
The number 2 pick is worth less points than the 1. Why not just trade with Jacksonville? That's what we've done to ourselves. Again.

Because we will take whatever we can get. It's ridiculous to think that if a team is trading up they won't trade to number one. What if KC trades down to four, getting only a second rounder? Now you have just mortgaged your draft and for nothing. Kc will trade down for anything.

No team is going to risk it, knowing that KC is going to accept the best offer to trade down.

Sorry, everyone is just wrong about this theory of the chiefs not being ale to trade but Jacksonville can. Anyone trading up is going to the very top.

saphojunkie 03-02-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PA Chiefs (Post 9458495)
sign Andre Smith Cincy won't and he may be cheaper than Albert

Considering he was arrested in January for bringing a gun on the plane, he is probably a lot cheaper.

Try a good idea next time.