ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto Removing old Wall Paper (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271230)

crossbow 03-16-2013 06:22 PM

Removing old Wall Paper

I need to remodel my tent. What is the best way to remove old wall paper? Seriously, I think the last guy used super glue.

SAUTO 03-16-2013 06:24 PM

Piss on it. repeat every time you feel the need to urinate. In three Weeks it will fall off.

Man I'm glad I've never had wall paper
Posted via Mobile Device

TribalElder 03-16-2013 06:30 PM

Steam and peel

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 06:34 PM

Pump sprayer with water and a mudknife. Go gently as you dont want to tear up the dry wall. Get off the wallpaper then use the pump sprayer on the glue and a mudknife

LoneWolf 03-16-2013 06:39 PM

As said before, pump sprayer and mud knife. Also, make sure to take plenty of snow coffee breaks. Wallpaper removal is hard work.

MrGiggity 03-16-2013 06:40 PM

I JIZZ ON MY WALLPAPAH THEN STYK IT TO TEH WALL.

alpha_omega 03-16-2013 06:41 PM

This task totally sucks.

LoneWolf 03-16-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggity (Post 9506874)
I JIZZ ON MY WALLPAPAH THEN STYK IT TO TEH WALL.

Are those lyrics from a Lil Wayne song? That guy is super talented.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 06:42 PM

I dont mind doing it actually. Skimming the walls with joint compound and sanding that is the pain in the ass

MrGiggity 03-16-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9506882)
Are those lyrics from a Lil Wayne song? That guy is super talented.

NO ITS FROM BIG WANG. HES ASIAN.

LoneWolf 03-16-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggity (Post 9506887)
NO ITS FROM BIG WANG. HES ASIAN.

Can't be true. No Asian has ever been called Big Wang.

MrGiggity 03-16-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 9506891)
Can't be true. No Asian has ever been called Big Wang.

HA WHAT YOU DID THERE.....I SEE IT. ASIAN HAS SMALL PENINI

Chief Pote 03-16-2013 06:52 PM

Hot water...little soap in a spray bottle. Peel the first layer of the wallpaper...the glue remains. Use the warm soapy water on the glue, use a wide putty knife. And lots of patience. This process will take a couple of hours per wall. Next thing on your list...NEVER put up wallpaper in your life. It's outdated anyway.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 06:58 PM

Just remember careful taking the glue off. The smoother the underneath sheetrock the better your wall will look and for ****s sake use Sherwin Williams Duration Home Matte Finish paint. Its the best on the market. Ive been painting with my dad for 8 years. Its durable and washable

Spott 03-16-2013 07:11 PM

I've done it a few times using vinegar and water and it's worked really well. I used a pump sprayer to do it and made sure I got it behind the wallpaper to the glue so the vinegar would work well to dissolve the glue. When it starts peeling you can use a paint scraper(gently) to peel the wall paper and the glue off. Your house will smell like vinegar for a day or so but you will save a ton of time and money doing that way.

AustinChief 03-16-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGiggity (Post 9506899)
HA WHAT YOU DID THERE.....I SEE IT. ASIAN HAS SMALL PENINI

Nothing like a nice hot Penini! Yum!

tk13 03-16-2013 07:15 PM

Find a picture you like. Right click > Set as Wallpaper.

aturnis 03-16-2013 07:24 PM

There is a product for this. It comes in a windex-like spray bottle, but is more of a gel. Spray it on, wait, and remove. It works remarkably well.

aturnis 03-16-2013 07:27 PM

This.

http://mydbsupply.com/media/catalog/...L_SPRAY__1.png

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 07:33 PM

I didnt really care for dif. To be honest, remove the wallpaper, warm water in a pump sprayer and a wide mudknife and that will easily take off the wallpaper

crossbow 03-16-2013 07:44 PM

You guys are the best !!!

I got one entire wall cleaned. Just need to make sure the paste is totaly off. What is a good product that makes sure the wall is totaly smooth and flat before I prime it?

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9507077)

I got one entire wall cleaned. Just need to make sure the paste is totaly off. What is a good product that makes sure the wall is totaly smooth and flat before I prime it?

Let the wall dry overnight. Then prime the walls with a flat paint.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 07:45 PM

Quote:

Take some sandpaper like 150 grit and sand the walls completely smooth, then prime

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:04 PM

i dunno if anyone posted it yet, but ive used one of the roller-tools to prick lots of holes in the wallpaper b4 using the gel

http://www.walmart.com/ip/17011348?w...l5=pla&veh=sem <----cheap

http://www.toolking.com/zinsser-2976...FW3ZQgodB28A9g <--- better

after pricking the holes, then use the gels or the mixes with warm water, comes off easy peasy

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:05 PM

Ah pawnmower ive found it just easier to peel the wallpaper

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:06 PM

Quote:

flat as in there is no texture?

just trying to be clear

Shogun 03-16-2013 08:06 PM

Ive been told my gas peels off wallpaper. Perhaps you could pay me $100 to come watch March Madness at your house?

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507162)
Ah pawnmower ive found it just easier to peel the wallpaper

cool, ive found taking a couple minutes to quickly pass over it works great, but i guess it depends on the glue maybe....if it comes up without gel or heat.....WIN

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:09 PM

Ya it might depend on how tight the wallpaper is. Now if the wallpaper is tight, i use coverstain to prime the walls its oil based so the wallpaper doesnt bubble like latex primer will, then i use joint compound to skim the seams, prime and paint. Sometimes its easier to prime and paint the wallpaper

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:10 PM

Water, a sponge and a 4" razor scraper is all I ever use to remove wallpaper. All those chemicals are a waste of money.

Shogun 03-16-2013 08:11 PM

Bugeater does it like the cavemen did it. I can respect that.

wheeler08 03-16-2013 08:11 PM

Awesome thread. I'm doing my kitchen and bedroom memorial day week and didn't know what I was gettin into.

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507174)
Ya it might depend on how tight the wallpaper is. Now if the wallpaper is tight, i use coverstain to prime the walls its oil based so the wallpaper doesnt bubble like latex primer will, then i use joint compound to skim the seams, prime and paint. Sometimes its easier to prime and paint the wallpaper

I'm pretty much in with this plan..........and i'm pretty decent with texture , so i can match any areas that look off

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheeler08 (Post 9507186)
Awesome thread. I'm doing my kitchen and bedroom memorial day week and didn't know what I was gettin into.

You will be hating life 4 hours into it. Guaranteed.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:17 PM

Coverstain is the best primer, its stinky but locks the shit in and kicks ass. I also like using polar bear roller naps. They are great. Now remember OP and any others who will be painting, take masking tape and tape your roller nap then peel it to get any loose fuzz off so you wont get that shit in your paint

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:17 PM

And FFS, don't paint over wallpaper unless there is absolutely no way in hell of getting it off. I've probably done at least 100 wallpaper removal jobs, and only twice did I have to go that route.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507203)
And FFS, don't paint over wallpaper unless there is absolutely no way in hell of getting it off. I've probably done at least 100 wallpaper removal jobs, and only twice did I have to go that route.

The only way I do that is if me and my dad who owns his painting business, if the customer doesnt want to pay for removal

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507207)
The only way I do that is if me and my dad who owns his painting business, if the customer doesnt want to pay for removal

By the time I **** around with priming with oil and spend all the time hiding the seams and other shit they won't save that much with me. And if they're happy with it looking like shit they may as well paint it themselves.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507222)
By the time I **** around with priming with oil and spend all the time hiding the seams and other shit they won't save that much with me. And if they're happy with it looking like shit they may as well paint it themselves.

Well it takes no time for us to prime it and lightly skim any needed areas. Usually the seams are so tight we dont have to. Its actually an easy process

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507230)
Well it takes no time for us to prime it and lightly skim any needed areas. Usually the seams are so tight we dont have to. Its actually an easy process

If whoever put it up did a good job it definitely helps. I just don't like dealing with oil base paint. You're going to pay a premium if you want me to mess with that crap.

mikeyis4dcats. 03-16-2013 08:31 PM

use a paper tiger and warm water in a spray bottle.

if it's real bad you may have to rent a steam box.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507240)
If whoever put it up did a good job it definitely helps. I just don't like dealing with oil base paint. You're going to pay a premium if you want me to mess with that crap.

Well its not that messy we use coverstain, a cheap brush and roller. Not really messy if you get used to it. Oil paint is the best though.

crossbow 03-16-2013 08:49 PM

If the walls have a bad stain on them will Coverstain hide it so the paint ends up having an even hue and brightness to it? Or do I get out the Kilz?

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9507285)
If the walls have a bad stain on them will Coverstain hide it so the paint ends up having an even hue and brightness to it? Or do I get out the Kilz?

killz should do it, especially the oil based killz

even the water based one will work from my experience tho

Bugeater 03-16-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

I've never used Coverstain but I'd imagine it's pretty much the same thing as Kilz. Anything oil-based will seal that stain.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Use a mini roller, for the love of god dont use Kilz. lol it sucks. Use coverstain, its great. You can also get it in an aerosol can

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507302)
I've never used Coverstain but I'd imagine it's pretty much the same thing as Kilz. Anything oil-based will seal that stain.

No Kilz is water based. All Kilz that Ive seen. Through my different use of primers, coverstain is the best blocking primer

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507308)
Use a mini roller, for the love of god dont use Kilz. lol it sucks.

derp ford sucks

herp chevy sucks

killz is fine

if the dude has a gallon of killz around dont tell him to go out and spend more

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 08:57 PM

Coverstain is the best.

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507319)
Coverstain is the best.

i dont care enough to argue and i havent tested every single primer in every single situation (but im sure you have)

but i have painted and remodeled hundreds of apartments, including cat pissed sub floors and tobacco smoke stink pits

and yet somehow ive never needed or used coverstain

ymmv

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9507323)
i dont care enough to argue and i havent tested every single primer in every single situation (but im sure you have)

but i have painted and remodeled hundreds of apartments, including cat pissed sub floors and tobacco smoke stink pits

and yet somehow ive never needed or used coverstain

ymmv

Well im not trying to argue, everything Ive heard is Killz isnt that good.

Bugeater 03-16-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507313)
No Kilz is water based. All Kilz that Ive seen. Through my different use of primers, coverstain is the best blocking primer

Original Kilz is oil-based. Kilz2 is semi-acryilic but for all practical purposes it's water-based, and actually works quite well for many applications.

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507329)
Well im not trying to argue, everything Ive heard is Killz isnt that good.

it may be different elsewhere.....i have no idea

but in cali, killz is one of the few oil based primers you can easily find everywhere........seems to work fine for the last 20 years

i have used other brands, i dont recall anything that works better...

although the paint i usually use is 'kelly-moore' which i find to be the best overall, but i dont think i have used their oil-based primer...if they have one

no idea if kelly-moore is really the best, its just from experience thats my preference

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:05 PM

Ive never seen Kilz oil based. Coverstain is what is used here in south carolina with the building boom from a few years ago. The water based kilz doesnt block stains well is what ive heard. Ive always used coverstain, youve always used Kilz so i guess its user preference

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9507339)

but in cali, killz is one of the few oil based primers you can easily find everywhere........seems to work fine for the last 20 years

although the paint i usually use is 'kelly-moore' which i find to be the best overall, but i dont think i have used their oil-based primer...if they have one

no idea if kelly-moore is really the best, its just from experience thats my preference

Ive notice coverstain is hard to find, its popular here, but where i used to live in ohio its hard to find because it isnt used as much as SC

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9507339)

My favorite paint is Sherwin Williams Duration Home matte finish, its great. And paints so smooth and nice

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507341)
Ive never seen Kilz oil based. Coverstain is what is used here in south carolina with the building boom from a few years ago. The water based kilz doesnt block stains well is what ive heard. Ive always used coverstain, youve always used Kilz so i guess its user preference

yah ive never used the acryllic water based killz.(so i have no opinion).....as i use kelly moore normally

but original oil based killz is great, imo

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507354)
My favorite paint is Sherwin Williams Duration Home matte finish, its great. And paints so smooth and nice

i used to use a lot of SW, especially when they made the sears paint in the 90's (they still might)

it is great paint, for sure

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9507359)
yah ive never used the acryllic water based killz.(so i have no opinion).....as i use kelly moore normally

but original oil based killz is great, imo

Ok well they dont have Kilz oil based here i dont think. Never seen it so thats my bad and my mixup sorry

Buzz 03-16-2013 09:17 PM

Hey look, another my penis is bigger than your penis thread, who would have thunk?

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainted (Post 9507391)
Hey look, another my penis is bigger than your penis thread, who would have thunk?

The OP asked for help I was giving my opinion go lick your taint

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainted (Post 9507391)

I actually thought it was a pretty good thread, good info & opinions

but i dont have a small penis like you

so im not all sensative like a broad

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9507409)
I actually thought it was a pretty good thread, good info & opinions

but i dont have a small penis like you

so im not all sensative like a broad

ROFL

Buzz 03-16-2013 09:27 PM

glad I could be of service.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tainted (Post 9507422)
glad I could be of service.

:thumb:

threebag 03-16-2013 09:58 PM

Bleach and Ammonia and a spray bottle.

Do not use

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 9507512)
Bleach and Ammonia and a spray bottle.

Do not use

ROFL i was about to say wooo dont breath that in

crossbow 03-16-2013 11:17 PM

dtchiefs4life and pawnmower are both obviously experienced and skilled craftsmen. I appreciate your opinions. So one more question:

Does Alex Smith suck? (crickets...)

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 11:19 PM

No he doesnt. He's not elite but he's won a playoff game and had them almost in the super bowl. We can win with him. I dont know about a super bowl everythings gota go right but **** it im going to give him a chance

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossbow (Post 9507710)
dtchiefs4life and pawnmower are both obviously experienced and skilled craftsmen. I appreciate your opinions. So one more question:

Does Alex Smith suck? (crickets...)

ROFLROFL

I really honestly hope not....but even if he plays at the top of what he has done, he isn't going to lead us anywhere unless we have a top 5 defense and running game that takes us anyway......

I'll admit I'm biased...I don't like the move at all....but I also live here and have seen plenty over the years.

OTOH I won't be rooting against him....I really want him to light it up come game day.

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 11:31 PM

We will have the running game

Ming the Merciless 03-16-2013 11:39 PM

:kc:PBJPBJPBJ:hump::hump::hump:PBJPBJ:grouphug:PBJ:hump::hump::hump::dom::spank::toast::toast::toast ::toast::toast:
Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507728)
We will have the running game

**** yes bro lets hope so

Mother****erJones 03-16-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 9507743)
:kc:PBJPBJPBJ:hump::hump::hump:PBJPBJ:grouphug:PBJ:hump::hump::hump::dom::spank::toast::toast::toast ::toast::toast:

**** yes bro lets hope so

Charles will be fine. 2nd year off knee injury he'll be more in attack mode

Earthling 03-17-2013 12:01 AM

I use to use kilz and had a job that the stains kept bleeding thru, even after 4 applications (oil based kilz). Never tried coverstain but ended up using Zinzer Bullseye and it blocked the stains that kilz didn't. Used it from then on. Cheaper than kilz and not nearly as strong an odor. I'm wondering if different environments have different effects with the products...mine being a desert environment.

Mother****erJones 03-17-2013 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 9507777)
I use to use kilz and had a job that the stains kept bleeding thru, even after 4 applications (oil based kilz). Never tried coverstain but ended up using Zinzer Bullseye and it blocked the stains that kilz didn't. Used it from then on. Cheaper than kilz and not nearly as strong an odor. I'm wondering if different environments have different effects with the products...mine being a desert environment.

And see im down south near the beach. So coverstain is really popular here. And no stains ever come back. The only thing we dont really use it on are rusty spots outside. We use a prime that is used on ships and shit

Earthling 03-17-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507783)
And see im down south near the beach. So coverstain is really popular here. And no stains ever come back. The only thing we dont really use it on are rusty spots outside. We use a prime that is used on ships and shit

Use a lot of millex or similar for anti-mold I would recon' as well there...??

Mother****erJones 03-17-2013 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Earthling (Post 9507789)
Use a lot of millex or similar for anti-mold I would recon' as well there...??

No just make sure when we paint outside we bleach and wash the area we paint to kill any mildew

Earthling 03-17-2013 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtchiefs4life (Post 9507793)
No just make sure when we paint outside we bleach and wash the area we paint to kill any mildew

:thumb:

wheeler08 03-17-2013 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9507197)
You will be hating life 4 hours into it. Guaranteed.

I think I already do after reading all of this....I better stock up on beer...