ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers What do you use for your browser homepage? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271255)

DaFace 03-17-2013 08:57 PM

What do you use for your browser homepage?

I've used a personalized homepage of some sort or another for as long as I can remember. Originally, it was My Yahoo, but I eventually switched over to iGoogle.

These days, I stay far away from Yahoo, and Google's killing iGoogle this fall. There are a handful of imitators out there in the world, but I really haven't found anything I like much.

I'm just curious to know what others to for homepages these days. If personalized homepages aren't the way, maybe there's another way I should be looking at this.

DaneMcCloud 03-17-2013 09:00 PM

https://www.google.com/news?vanilla=1

nstygma 03-17-2013 09:02 PM

i use the built-in Chrome "Most Visited" page

BryanBusby 03-17-2013 09:25 PM

I'm pretty lame, just a weather page.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...%20MO%2C%20USA

Crush 03-17-2013 10:41 PM

blank page

Fish 03-18-2013 07:55 AM

Don't have a home page. When I click a new tab, it shows my Chrome bookmarks or most visited pages.

Frosty 03-18-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9509820)
I've used a personalized homepage of some sort or another for as long as I can remember. Originally, it was My Yahoo, but I eventually switched over to iGoogle.

These days, I stay far away from Yahoo, and Google's killing iGoogle this fall. There are a handful of imitators out there in the world, but I really haven't found anything I like much.

I'm just curious to know what others to for homepages these days. If personalized homepages aren't the way, maybe there's another way I should be looking at this.

Thanks for starting this. I am looking for the same thing. I like using iGoogle because I can access my bookmarks and other info from any computer or my tablet. I haven't really found something similar. I may end up having to store that stuff in a Google doc or something I suppose.

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:19 AM

I just have my browser open to whatever page(s) that were open when I last quit.

Fish 03-18-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9510663)
Thanks for starting this. I am looking for the same thing. I like using iGoogle because I can access my bookmarks and other info from any computer or my tablet. I haven't really found something similar. I may end up having to store that stuff in a Google doc or something I suppose.

If you use Chrome, you can sync all your bookmarks, form values, history, etc. Without needing to visit iGoogle or any webpage. Simply log into Chrome with your Google account on each device. That includes computers, tablets, phones, whatever. Cross platform as well. And using Chrome, you can also view/load any windows open on any of your other devices that are connected to the internet. Example, if opened a page on your work computer, then got home and wanted to visit that page again but can't remember the address, you can click on Other Devices in Chrome, and see all the open windows on all your other synced devices.

patteeu 03-18-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510694)
If you use Chrome, you can sync all your bookmarks, form values, history, etc. Without needing to visit iGoogle or any webpage. Simply log into Chrome with your Google account on each device. That includes computers, tablets, phones, whatever. Cross platform as well. And using Chrome, you can also view/load any windows open on any of your other devices that are connected to the internet. Example, if opened a page on your work computer, then got home and wanted to visit that page again but can't remember the address, you can click on Other Devices in Chrome, and see all the open windows on all your other synced devices.

Cool tip.

Frosty 03-18-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9510694)

Thanks. Sounds like it's time to give Chrome another try.

DaFace 03-18-2013 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 9510663)

I'm not too worried about Bookmarks - as Fish said, that's covered with Chrome's syncing.

I still haven't found a good solution, but I'm leaning toward:

-Google News for my homepage
-Extension for weather and sports scores
-Bookmarks on my bookmarks bar for my new RSS reader (Feedly) and Google Latitude

We'll see how it goes.

KurtCobain 03-18-2013 01:05 PM

Every browser I've used for about seven years now has been set to open to chiefsplanet.com.

KevB 03-18-2013 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9511010)
I'm not too worried about Bookmarks - as Fish said, that's covered with Chrome's syncing.

I still haven't found a good solution, but I'm leaning toward:

-Google News for my homepage
-Extension for weather and sports scores
-Bookmarks on my bookmarks bar for my new RSS reader (Feedly) and Google Latitude

We'll see how it goes.

If you want something iGoogle-like, Netvibes would probably do the trick. I've used that in the past, and it looks very similar.

DaFace 03-18-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KevB (Post 9511125)
If you want something iGoogle-like, Netvibes would probably do the trick. I've used that in the past, and it looks very similar.

Yeah, I looked into it a bit, but I just wasn't ever happy with how "modern" it looks. iGoogle was great for a while, but even I had been questioning its utility when they finally announced they were pulling the plug. I wish there were a dashboard out there that was actually innovative in some way, but all of them seem to generally just be trying to replicate the same basic functionality that's been around for years.

BlackHelicopters 03-18-2013 03:07 PM

Google

KevB 03-18-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9511236)
Yeah, I looked into it a bit, but I just wasn't ever happy with how "modern" it looks. iGoogle was great for a while, but even I had been questioning its utility when they finally announced they were pulling the plug. I wish there were a dashboard out there that was actually innovative in some way, but all of them seem to generally just be trying to replicate the same basic functionality that's been around for years.

Agreed, I stopped using those dashboard type views a while ago. I do what some below suggested --- most visited pages, leveraging the cross device syncing and most recent pages. Some combination of that mix gets me to where I want to go.

SnakeXJones 03-18-2013 03:41 PM

yahoo.com cause it's amazing what they consider "News"

hometeam 03-18-2013 06:59 PM

I go straight from chrome 'most visited' tab into my favorites

MBSiMMENS 03-18-2013 07:39 PM

I really like Opera and the Speed Dial feature which is sorta like the Chrome "Most Visited" but seems way more robust. I have about 40 tiles set up with many of the sites I frequent daily

Mr. Laz 03-18-2013 07:41 PM

Hot deal forum ... don't really know why.

It loads fast and i get to peek at some stuff i might want to buy. :shrug:

http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16

NewChief 03-18-2013 08:41 PM

They're killing reader as well, and igoogle for me was mainly gmail and reader with a news aggregate thrown in. I switched to feedly for my rss reader. Still haven't decided on a homepage.

Deberg_1990 03-18-2013 08:43 PM

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=271255

keg in kc 03-18-2013 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crush (Post 9510108)
blank page

Ditto.

DaFace 03-18-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 9512274)
They're killing reader as well, and igoogle for me was mainly gmail and reader with a news aggregate thrown in. I switched to feedly for my rss reader. Still haven't decided on a homepage.

My exact situation.

lcarus 03-18-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 9509894)
I'm pretty lame, just a weather page.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...%20MO%2C%20USA

You really are Bryan Busby. How's it going Bryan Busby?

Buehler445 03-18-2013 11:49 PM

I'm In the Stone Age I guess I just have a bunch of tabs open in chrome.

CP
Intellicast
Weather underground
Scott coop
Gmail
Agmanager.info
Ag talk

lcarus 03-18-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 9512832)
I'm In the Stone Age I guess I just have a bunch of tabs open in chrome.

CP
Intellicast
Weather underground
Scott coop
Gmail
Agmanager.info
Ag talk

I probably should just set my homepage to CP. Might as well. I browse this site far more than any other and it's typically the first site I check out.

MahiMike 03-19-2013 08:48 AM

Yahoo. Have for 15 yrs now. When I click on home, I get right to my mail.

loochy 03-19-2013 09:02 AM

www.soccernet.com

CrazyPhuD 03-19-2013 06:18 PM

Still defaulting to goatse.cx even after all these years!

Fairplay 03-19-2013 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9511942)

Yes

Frosty 10-10-2013 11:04 AM

With Google killing iGoogle in a couple of weeks, I finally had to decide on something. I ended up with ighome. You can import all of your iGoogle gadgets and settings and it seems to work the same.

mikeyis4dcats. 10-10-2013 11:11 AM

msn.com

NewChief 10-10-2013 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10069719)
With Google killing iGoogle in a couple of weeks, I finally had to decide on something. I ended up with ighome. You can import all of your iGoogle gadgets and settings and it seems to work the same.

Thanks for this. I've been looking for something.

Dartgod 10-10-2013 11:45 AM

Chiefsplanet

listopencil 10-10-2013 11:49 AM

I'm using uStart.org. It works about how iGoogle did and has functioned as a decent replacement.

Frazod 10-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 9511942)

This.

At work I have have it set to Google.

DaFace 10-10-2013 12:11 PM

I ended up giving up. I'm using Google News as a homepage, which takes care of news, weather, and sports at least. I've supplemented that with Chrome extensions to take care of the rest of the stuff.

I still think there's a need for a good dashboard system, but clearly Google doesn't agree anymore. Oh well.

Aries Walker 10-10-2013 05:23 PM

My Gmail inbox.

Baby Lee 10-10-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nstygma (Post 9509831)
i use the built-in Chrome "Most Visited" page

+1

Rausch 10-10-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 10069851)
Chiefsplanet

Yup...

Bearcat 10-10-2013 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frosty (Post 10069719)

Hmm, looks pretty similar... I have an article or two on iGoogle replacements, but haven't gotten around to doing anything about it. Guess I should at least take note of all the feeds I have or import them into that site, before it's too late.

Raiderhater 10-10-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 10069851)
Chiefsplanet

This.

007 10-10-2013 08:57 PM

whatever was open the last time I had Chrome up.

BigRedChief 10-10-2013 09:01 PM

I use to use Yahoo back in the day. But since Firefox could remember tabs years ago I've just quit using a homepage.

I'll check out reddit, Facebook, Chive, Twitter etc. on their own home pages that I've personalized.