ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Greinke Brawls..breaks collarbone (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272026)

Deberg_1990 04-12-2013 06:26 AM

Greinke Brawls..breaks collarbone

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...pitch/2076525/

The Los Angeles Dodgers won the game Thursday night against the San Diego Padres, but their pennant hopes certainly took a hit.

Dodgers starter Zack Greinke fractured his left collarbone in a bench-clearing brawl during the Dodgers' 3-2 victory over the Padres at Petco Park, prompting enraged Dodgers center fielder Matt Kemp to confront Padres left fielder Carlos Quentin in the clubhouse tunnel after the game.

Padres starter Clayton Richard and security guards intervened before another fight ensued.

The brawl started when Quentin was hit in the shoulder by Greinke's pitch in the sixth inning. He took several steps towards the mound with his bat, dropped it, and charged Greinke. It was the second time in four years that Greinke hit Quentin, but Quentin was intercepted by Kansas City Royals catcher Miguel Olivo and home-plate umpire Bill Hohn back on April 9, 2009, when Greinke pitched for the Royals and Quentin played for the Chicago White Sox.

This time, no one held anyone back, with Greinke, Kemp and Jerry Hairston ejected from the Dodgers, along with Quentin.

The biggest losers, of course, were the Dodgers, with Greinke sidelined for an indefinite period. He's scheduled to see Los Angles physician Neal ElAttrache on Friday. Greinke signed a six-year, $147 million free-agent contract during the winter.

"My teammate now has a broken f------ collarbone,'' Hairston told reporters. "Excuse my language, but that's unbelievable.''

Said Quentin: "It's unfortunate. It could have been avoided. You can ask Zack about that.

"For me, I've been hit by many pitches in my career. I think you guys know that. I can tell you I've never responded in that fashion, so you guys can do your homework on that. For me, the situation is done. That's it.''

Quentin was most infuriated, he told reporters, by what Greinke told him after he was hit.

"That was the final straw,'' he said.

Kemp, enraged by the incident, met face to face with Quentin in the hallway after the game at Petco Park. He followed Quentin into the parking lot and saying: "We'll see, b----,'' according to the Los Angeles Times.

"That's terrible for him to charge the mound like that,'' Kemp told reporters. "I think Carlos Quentin went to Stanford. I heard there's some smart people at Stanford. That wasn't too smart.''

Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said that Quentin shouldn't be permitted to play another game until Greinke can pitch.

"We're in a 2-1 game and on a 3-2 pitch to a guy that I see on the [score]board set a record for the Padres by getting hit, a guy who basically dives into the plate,'' Mattingly said, according to the MLB.com report. "In a 2-1 game, we're trying to hit him, 3-2?

"It's just stupid is what it is. He should not play a game until Greinke can pitch. If he plays before Greinke pitches, something is wrong.''

Said Greinke: "The only thing I'm going to say about the whole thing that happened there is I've never hit him on purpose. I never thought of hitting him on purpose.''

Quentin has long been a magnet for pitches. In 2004, he set a minor league record by getting plunked 43 times, and he led the major leagues the past two seasons, getting hit 23 times in 2011 and 17 times last year, even though he played just 86 games.

Greinke told reporters he thought Quentin's umbrage in reacting to getting hit by pitches was "a ploy" to intimidate pitchers.

"I figured he was trying to intimidate pitchers so they wouldn't throw inside,' he said.

The Dodgers and Padres play again Monday, this time, in Los Angeles at Dodger Stadium on Jackie Robinson Day.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jPn6smAZao0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr_Tomahawk 04-12-2013 06:28 AM

HA-HA Mr. Socially Awkward

wazu 04-12-2013 06:35 AM

Did the cops not have sufficient evidence to make an arrest?

tyton75 04-12-2013 06:36 AM

Quentin is a bitch

Sassy Squatch 04-12-2013 06:37 AM

Sucks for the Dodgers.

ImAWalkingCorpse 04-12-2013 06:37 AM

http://i50.tinypic.com/105ec0l.jpg

TribalElder 04-12-2013 06:40 AM

lolz

KChiefer 04-12-2013 06:46 AM

I'm curious what Greinke said after he hit him. I saw a replay from behind the plate and he definitely said something. Quentin does crowd the plate, but the dodgers are lying their asses off saying that wasn't intentional.

BigCatDaddy 04-12-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9579915)
I'm curious what Greinke said after he hit him. I saw a replay from behind the plate and he definitely said something. Quentin does crowd the plate, but the dodgers are lying their asses off saying that wasn't intentional.

Full count in a 1 run game? Teams won't risk a loss to hit a guy.

Chiefspants 04-12-2013 06:47 AM

Lol, Grienke throwing his glove down is the most bad*** move I've seen by a pitcher since Nolan Ryan headlocked that other thugsock. Also, could Quentin even feel that pitch with that bullet-proof armor cloaked around his arm? Quentin's reaction was completely ridiculous, and for the Dodgers sake, I hope Greinke recovers soon.

tyton75 04-12-2013 06:48 AM

Quentin gets hit all the freaking time.. leads the league. If Greinke wanted to hit him, why wouldn't he just hit him with the 1st or 2nd pitch of the AB?

KChiefer 04-12-2013 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9579916)
Full count in a 1 run game? Teams won't risk a loss to hit a guy.

I get that, but I think Greinke took offense to Quentin crowding the plate and decided "Screw it, I'd rather plunk him than serve up a meatball or give him the base on balls." Hey fine, but don't be surprised when the guy goes after you when you run your mouth after hitting him.

Deberg_1990 04-12-2013 06:51 AM

The radio guys said Carlos and Greinke have a history back from their White Sox/Royals days? Anyone remember any other incidents between them?

Archie F. Swin 04-12-2013 06:53 AM

Then Matt Kemp went all Kanye West and was like, Imma let you finish Zack, but I gotsa steal the show, talk some shiz, and get ejected like a straight up 'G'

/bitch life

KCUnited 04-12-2013 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9579924)
The radio guys said Carlos and Greinke have a history back from their White Sox/Royals days? Anyone remember any other incidents between them?

I believe this is the 3rd time Greinke has hit Quinton. Quinton said after the game it was Greinke's comments that made him charge the mound.

KChiefer 04-12-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Quentin said Greinke hit him 2 or 3 times before. Quentin was also hit on the wrist a few days ago by someone else.

KChiefer 04-12-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 9579917)
Lol, Grienke throwing his glove down is the most bad*** move I've seen by a pitcher since Nolan Ryan headlocked that other thugsock. Also, could Quentin even feel that pitch with that bullet-proof armor cloaked around his arm? Quentin's reaction was completely ridiculous, and for the Dodgers sake, I hope Greinke recovers soon.

Worst mound chargings ever:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...in-mlb-history

Damnit Robin :facepalm:

Radar Chief 04-12-2013 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ImAWalkingCorpse (Post 9579911)

:LOL: Hey, the 5 on 2 is a legit, if illegal, wrestling move.
Somebody needs to teach Greinke the double leg takedown though. Quentin was wide the hell open for it, twice.

Dr. Gigglepants 04-12-2013 07:02 AM

Quote:

Quentin tried to rush him in '09 after getting hit, got cut off by Olivo and the homeplate ump. Don't remember the incident, but read about it this morning. According to the article, that is the only real history btwn the two. Sounds like classic roid rage to me. Dodgers have every right to be pissed, no way it was intentional.
Posted via Mobile Device

BlackHelicopters 04-12-2013 07:06 AM

Wow. Anger issues.

KChiefer 04-12-2013 07:06 AM

Watching the Greinke interview. Both times he says he didn't throw at him on purpose he immediately looks up at the ceiling. That's a tell.

Radar Chief 04-12-2013 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9579939)
Watching the Greinke interview. Both times he says he didn't throw at him on purpose he immediately looks up at the ceiling. That's a tell.

That pitch was so high and outside I don’t know how it could not be intentional.

Lex Luthor 04-12-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9579939)

I despise Zack Greinke, but you are full of shit on this. This is the king of social awkwardness you're talking about. That's not a tell.

Three7s 04-12-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Yep, back in 2009, Greinke plunked him and tried charging the mound then, but Olivo stopped him.

Lex Luthor 04-12-2013 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radar Chief (Post 9579941)
That pitch was so high and outside I don’t know how it could not be intentional.

Actually it was high and INSIDE. Have you ever watched a baseball game?

CaliforniaChief 04-12-2013 07:19 AM

Let me pause and offer sympathy to Zack Greinke and the Dodgers...ok done.

WhawhaWhat 04-12-2013 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three7s (Post 9579948)
Yep, back in 2009, Greinke plunked him and tried charging the mound then, but Olivo stopped him.

Nobody is making it through Olivo.

WhitiE 04-12-2013 07:21 AM

Did that caller just say "****ing idiot" on mike and mike?

Radar Chief 04-12-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9579957)
Actually it was high and INSIDE. Have you ever watched a baseball game?

Ok, “inside”. You can go eat a bag of dicks now.

Lex Luthor 04-12-2013 07:28 AM

99% of the time that a player charges the mound, it's a bullshit move. I still remember when Reggie Sanders charged the mound after Pedro Martinez hit him with a pitch on an 0-2 count. At the time Martinez was pitching a perfect game, and it was in the 8th inning. There's no ****ing way Martinez hit Sanders on purpose, yet there was Sanders trying to prove what a man he was by charging the mound.

Like I said in an earlier post, I despise Zack Greinke. But in this case I agree with Mattingly: Carlos Quentin should be suspended until Greinke pitches again. That might make assholes like him think twice before they charge the mound.

AussieChiefsFan 04-12-2013 07:31 AM

So is Carlos Quentin going to get fined or suspended or anything?

Buck 04-12-2013 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyton75 (Post 9579907)
Quentin is a bitch

Greinke is a bitch.

Predarat 04-12-2013 07:32 AM

That Nolan Ryan beatdown has to be one of the best baseball fights ever. This one looked more like a pillow fight rasslin' match.

BigCatDaddy 04-12-2013 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 9579987)
So is Carlos Quentin going to get fined or suspended or anything?

Most likely MLB is going to start going Goodell on guys that go after pitchers like that. Teams don't want their 25million dollar a year pitchers getting injured because some dumbass charges the mound.

AussieChiefsFan 04-12-2013 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9579991)
Most likely MLB is going to start going Goodell on guys that go after pitchers like that. Teams don't want their 25million dollar a year pitchers getting injured because some dumbass charges the mound.

Yeah that's what I would have thought. Thanks.

Buck 04-12-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9579991)

If a pitcher doesn't want a brawl, then he needs to stfu after he hits a batter.

Sucks he broke his collarbone, and I'm expecting a 15-20 game suspension for Quentin, but Quentin would have been the bitch had he not confronted Greinke after he ran his mouth off.

ChiefMojo 04-12-2013 07:44 AM

Buck let me put it this way... Quentin is a total punk a** b*tch just like you!!!

Quentin has been a piece of sh*t back to his White Sox days but that is par for the course when dealing with White Sox players. Nothing has changed with Quentin and to defend him makes you a punk a** b*tch also!!!

BigCatDaddy 04-12-2013 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9580002)
If a pitcher doesn't want a brawl, then he needs to stfu after he hits a batter.

Sucks he broke his collarbone, and I'm expecting a 15-20 game suspension for Quentin, but Quentin would have been the bitch had he not confronted Greinke after he ran his mouth off.

He most likely told him to get his ass off the plate. If that's Clemons on the mound I suspect Quentin puts his head down and walks to first. It's easy to go after some skinny ass pitcher. Quentin is a puss that wears a suit of armor and stands right on top of the plate daring guys to throw inside.

mikey23545 04-12-2013 07:50 AM

Too bad Zach didn't hit him right in the ol' eye socket.

Buck 04-12-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9580015)
He most likely told him to get his ass off the plate. If that's Clemons on the mound I suspect Quentin puts his head down and walks to first. It's easy to go after some skinny ass pitcher. Quentin is a puss that wears a suit or armor and stands right on top of the place daring guys to throw inside.

Did you even see that pitch? It was up and in and Quentin was moving away from the plate.

OmahaChief 04-12-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 9580015)
Quentin is a puss that wears a suit or armor and stands right on top of the place daring guys to throw inside.

If a black long sleeve T-Shirt is a suit of armor then your are spot on.

SAUTO 04-12-2013 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9580025)
Did you even see that pitch? It was up and in and Quentin was moving away from the plate.

sorry buck but he was not moving away from the plate

Buck 04-12-2013 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 9580030)
sorry buck but he was not moving away from the plate

Yeah I guess not but he didn't lean into it like people are saying.

duncan_idaho 04-12-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9580025)

Quentin was not moving away from the plate. He turned into the pitch to take it on the backside of his arm/shoulder rather than in the chest.

Quentin, like a lot of dudes who crowd the plate, doesn't understand why he gets hit so much. It's stupid. He has no one to blame but himself. He's trying to intimidate pitchers into avoiding throwing inside because he's all over the plate and he's a big, strong, scary dude.

That type of crap might work with the Luke Hochevars of the world. But any pitcher with balls is still going to work in there and say "Oh, well" if Quentin gets hit while doing it.

Mr. Kotter 04-12-2013 08:12 AM

Quentin is an a complete azzhole and douche-nozzle in one.

Any idiot that gets "hit" that often over his career out to be suspended--long term.

Sit his ass unpaid for a long time, to give his sorry ass time to think about it.

Buck 04-12-2013 08:13 AM

I don't have a problem with anyone crowding the plate or pitching inside to move them off the plate.

It's all part of the game.

So is charging the mound when the pitcher says something after hitting a batter. I guess everyone here just hates Quentin and loves Greinke.

duncan_idaho 04-12-2013 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9580042)
I don't have a problem with anyone crowding the plate or pitching inside to move them off the plate.

So is charging the mound when the pitcher says something after hitting a batter. I guess everyone here just hates Quentin and loves Greinke.

Crowding the plate is part of baseball. Flying into a (roid) rage every time you get hit and acting like a bitch is bush league.

Turning into any inside pitch and making no effort to get out of the way is bush league.

Quentin gets no sympathy here because he's a cheap, bush league player. We saw this from him the entire time he was with the White Sox. It was sad when they traded him, because Quentin is such an excellent player example of the White Sox fanbase.

Mr. Kotter 04-12-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikey23545 (Post 9580020)
Too bad Zach didn't hit him right in the ol' eye socket.

No shit...if this douche insists on crowding the plate so consistently, and then being a bitch when he gets hit...someone ought to aim it at his fuggin' head, again and again until they knock that azzhole outta baseball. Part of the game, my ass. This dude's rep is long established and speaks for itself.

BigCatDaddy 04-12-2013 08:20 AM

Quote:

No. You're just a San Diego homer. I'd say more Royals fans here dislike Grienke than like him.

jd1020 04-12-2013 08:31 AM

Quote:

I forgot I was watching Hockey for a second.

Chiefshrink 04-12-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

AMEN BUCK !!:clap:

Also Buck you have inadvertently uncovered a generational gap on this board with your post exposing the difference in 'old school tradition of playing the game to win and defend' as opposed to 'politically correct pussy ball where everyone is safe and wins':rolleyes:

If Greinke is going to be a so called 'bad ass', hit a batter, pop off and then throw his glove down he better learn how to fight. What a sorry excuse. The old man Nolan Ryan showed how it's done whipping up on the young punk ass Ventura. :clap:

Demonpenz 04-12-2013 08:39 AM

I remember the chart before grienke threw at Perzinski. He threw 91 90 90 91 then reved it up to 95 to drill AJ. Grienke always had beef with the White Sox in the day.

Chiefshrink 04-12-2013 08:47 AM

If Greinke truly wants to play hardball either throw at his head or knees. Quintin wouldn't get away with this crap against a guy like Bob Gibson for sure. One of the most feared pitchers in baseball for many reasons.:D

Chiefspants 04-12-2013 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9580032)
Yeah I guess not but he didn't lean into it like people are saying.

There's a reason why Quentin has lead the league in HBP in the last two years. Of course, that's not something to be proud of when Quentin is sporting Darth Vader like armor every time he steps up to the plate.

jd1020 04-12-2013 08:55 AM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9mt0_0k40t4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sorter 04-12-2013 08:58 AM

^^^Fantastic high double.

gblowfish 04-12-2013 08:59 AM

Both players are douchebags.

If you're gonna crowd the plate, you're gonna get hit.
Greinke should have kept his mouth shut.

At least in the NL, the pitcher bats, so if he hits guys, he has to come up to bat. Not like when Clemens and Martinez were hitting guys on purpose in the American League.

Fights are part of baseball. If Greinke would have thrown a punch instead of backed up, he might not have broken his collar bone. If you're going to fight, then fight.

I'm sure the Dodgers won't miss the $50 million they're paying him....

Frazod 04-12-2013 09:04 AM

Trying to give a shit about this. Unsuccessfully.

Grienke has always struck me as being a serious douche, though.

Chiefspants 04-12-2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9580119)

At least in the NL, the pitcher bats, so if he hits guys, he has to come up to bat. Not like when Clemens and Martinez were hitting guys on purpose in the American League.

Fights are part of baseball. If Greinke would have thrown a punch instead of backed up, he might not have broken his collar bone. If you're going to fight, then fight.

Hey, at least Greinke met him in the open (rather than adopting a Jeff Weaverian like backpedal.)

seclark 04-12-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 9580119)

yep...
looks like zack took the liberty to grab some peepee in that scuffle too.
bad form.
sec

PunkinDrublic 04-12-2013 09:07 AM

No way I'm defending Greinke but once a White Sox always a White Sox. Quentin is a whiney bitch who will continue to get drilled as he continues to crowd the plate. Hopefully he'll get drilled in the head soon.

The Franchise 04-12-2013 09:14 AM

:facepalm:

God damnt.

WhawhaWhat 04-12-2013 09:22 AM

If Quentin is going to stand on top the of the plate, he should expect to get hit. And he does quite a bit too.

Grienke did nothing wrong. I would still take him on the Royals in a heartbeat.

gblowfish 04-12-2013 09:24 AM

Zack is home getting sympathy sex....
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...char&FORM=IGRE

BigCatDaddy 04-12-2013 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9580156)
If Quentin is going to stand on top the of the plate, he should expect to get hit. And he does quite a bit too.

Grienke did nothing wrong. I would still take him on the Royals in a heartbeat.

Those guys used to bully the shit out of the Royals. Nice to see Grienke take a stand.

Bowser 04-12-2013 09:35 AM

Immediately after the pitch, Zach gives that look like "Ah, shit!", then it looks to me like Quentin walks a little in front of the plate, then decides he's got enough roids in him to be pissed, and charges.

I don't think he was trying to hit him. Zach is one of those pitches with the kind of pinpoint control that if he wanted to hit you or send a message, he'd plant a fastball in your earhole or your kidneys, not a deflection off your batting armor on your arm. And that's not even considering the situation - you just don't hit a guy with a full count in a one run game.

Long story short - Quentin is a bitch, but Zach should have kept his mouth shut when Quentin stepped in front of the plate.

Hootie 04-12-2013 09:40 AM

Anyone who thinks that was on purpose is a ****ing moron.

Sweet Daddy Hate 04-12-2013 09:40 AM

His little gobble got fazed.
Posted via Mobile Device

KChiefer 04-12-2013 09:45 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GHerYuWEfB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This vid has their exchange in '09. Again, after last night's game Greinke said he's never thrown at Quentin before which is total BS. Hey, go ahead and throw at him, but don't plead innocent especially after talking smack from the mound.

WhawhaWhat 04-12-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 9580002)

Jayson Stark ‏@jaysonst
Longest suspension I could find for mound-charging in last 5 years - 8 games (Nyjer Morgan '10). Shortest - 3 games (Victorino & Ortiz '11)

ToxSocks 04-12-2013 09:45 AM

I don't really follow baseball other than i what i hear on the radio on my way to work. San Diego Broadcasters keep saying that he wasn't crowding the plate.

http://youtu.be/kTuxVQ5TPoE

So my question is, was he crowding the plate, and if so, what's considered "crowding the plate"?

Hootie 04-12-2013 09:46 AM

I don't care what Greinke may or may not have said to him...you don't charge the mound in a 1 run game on a full count like that...it was the most ridiculous thing I've seen in a while.

Hootie 04-12-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9580198)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GHerYuWEfB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This vid has their exchange in '09. Again, after last night's game Greinke said he's never thrown at Quentin before which is total BS. Hey, go ahead and throw at him, but don't plead innocent especially after talking smack from the mound.

You must not understand baseball if you think that was intentional. Even Quentin knows it wasn't intentional...he charged because, according to him, Greinke said something to him.

WhawhaWhat 04-12-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9580198)

Notice the difference in the catchers actions. Olivo steps in and sends Quentin on his way to first. AJ Ellis just stands there like an oaf and lets Quentin charge unimpeded.

WhawhaWhat 04-12-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 9580200)
I don't really follow baseball other than i what i hear on the radio on my way to work. San Diego Broadcasters keep saying that he wasn't crowding the plate.

http://youtu.be/kTuxVQ5TPoE

So my question is, was he crowding the plate, and if so, what's considered "crowding the plate"?

Carlos Quentin lead the league in getting hit by pitches for the last 2 years. He has been towards the top the 3 years before that. That is with his many stints on the DL too.

KChiefer 04-12-2013 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peyton's Princess (Post 9580204)
You must not understand baseball if you think that was intentional. Even Quentin knows it wasn't intentional...he charged because, according to him, Greinke said something to him.

Yeah, well that vid from '09 doesn't help the whole, "It's a 1 run game" story. Why hit someone in a 1 run game in the fourth inning in a 1-1 count. I don't think Ellis and Grienke dialed it up, I think Grienke decided to plunk rather than serve up a fastball down the pipe or give him a free pass.

If Greinke has such great control as Bowser says, why did he miss the glove by 3 feet with a fastball up and in?

Hootie 04-12-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefer (Post 9580217)
Yeah, well that vid from '09 doesn't help the whole, "It's a 1 run game" story. Why hit someone in a 1 run game in the fourth inning in a 1-1 count. I don't think Ellis and Grienke dialed it up, I think Grienke decided to plunk rather than serve up a fastball down the pipe or give him a free pass.

If Greinke has such great control as Bowser says, why did he miss the glove by 3 feet?

So on a 3-2 count you assume all pitchers either serve one up or walk a guy? Your stance on this matter is ridiculous. There is a reason he wasn't even ejected last night. Had Quentin been an adult and gone to first there wouldn't have even been a warning issued.

suzzer99 04-12-2013 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9580209)
Notice the difference in the catchers actions. Olivo steps in and sends Quentin on his way to first. AJ Ellis just stands there like an oaf and lets Quentin charge unimpeded.

Ellis should have been all over Quentin.

I remember Dave Winfield charging the mound against the Cubs back in the early WGN/cable days. Big-ass Barry Foote caught up with him and tackled him from behind before he could even get to the mound. So awesome.

Ha ha, here it is: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...istory/page/12

ToxSocks 04-12-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 9580215)
Carlos Quentin lead the league in getting hit by pitches for the last 2 years. He has been towards the top the 3 years before that. That is with his many stints on the DL too.

Yeah, but was he crowding the plate last night when he got hit?

Hootie 04-12-2013 09:59 AM

It doesn't matter if he was crowding the plate or not. Shit, it doesn't even matter if it really was on purpose (it wasn't)...the context of the particular game made the charging absurd and I expect Quentin to get, at the very least, 10 games