ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Poop Cargo Plane Crash in Trashganistan (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=272646)

Chief_For_Life58 04-30-2013 09:59 AM

Cargo Plane Crash in Trashganistan

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=3b4f2af88dce" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Chief_For_Life58 04-30-2013 10:02 AM

Quote from eyewitness

quote:
"I witnessed this crash today and there was no Taliban involvement. I can tell you this for sure – the 747 took off and commenced a quite steep climb out, not unusual for here, then one of two things happened. In my opinion either the strong head wind or a micro up burst caused it to pitch upward at what looked to be at least 85deg. Nose up or the cargo shifted to the rear and caused it to nose up. It then did what all swept wing aircraft do in a stall and pitched left at about 1200 Ft AGL, then it seemed like the pilot tried to correct and it pitched right and headed for the ground just before impact. It looked like it had flattened out to nearly level but had very little or no forward speed – what followed was the ground shook, followed by a large ball of fire and a huge black cloud of smoke. I truly wish I had not seen this, but I did, and my prayers and thoughts go out to all involved – both on board and the family and loved ones of the crew and passengers." Less..

7 people dead. RIP

Halfcan 04-30-2013 10:02 AM

Wow!!

Halfcan 04-30-2013 10:05 AM

This looks like last years Chiefs season.

Chief_For_Life58 04-30-2013 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9645845)

except we didnt even take off, we exploded on the runway

bevischief 04-30-2013 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief_For_Life58 (Post 9645852)
except we didnt even take off, we exploded on the runway

Damn drones...

Sassy Squatch 04-30-2013 10:11 AM

No reaction whatsoever from the filmer.

Canofbier 04-30-2013 10:11 AM

Wow...that's tough to watch. Surprised that only seven died, if that's true.

Chief_For_Life58 04-30-2013 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9645859)

I think he strangled/beat his dog for a few seconds did you hear that?

DMAC 04-30-2013 10:20 AM

Damn son

loochy 04-30-2013 10:21 AM

why in the world was the plane pulling up that steeply? there appears to be sufficient space....

DJ's left nut 04-30-2013 10:23 AM

Almost has to be a load shift, doesn't it?

The pilot had no chance. If the load swings to the back and pulls the nose up that early after takeoff, those cargo planes just won't have the power to throttle up and recover. He did exactly what you do in a stall; dropped the nose to recover lift, but he just wasn't high enough in the air to get the airspeed and pull it out.

Awful accident that was probably a result of carelessness in loading. I don't see anything that pilot could've done to save that plane.

ptlyon 04-30-2013 10:24 AM

I saw Santa do the same thing once.

Damned reindeer.

Dartgod 04-30-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canofbier (Post 9645862)
Wow...that's tough to watch. Surprised that only seven died, if that's true.

It was a cargo plane, so probably the entire crew.

MIAdragon 04-30-2013 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9645881)

The pilot had no chance. If the load swings to the back and pulls the nose up that early after takeoff, those cargo planes just won't have the power to throttle up and recover. He did exactly what you do in a stall; dropped the nose to recover lift, but he just wasn't high enough in the air to get the airspeed and pull it out.

Awful accident that was probably a result of carelessness in loading. I don't see anything that pilot could've done to save that plane.

Yep, cargo shift.

MIAdragon 04-30-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9645879)
why in the world was the plane pulling up that steeply? there appears to be sufficient space....

to avoid small arms fire. I've got a really good buddy who's a load master at Bagram. Apparently they've been running around the clock getting everything out of that hell hole.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-30-2013 11:00 AM

something seems wrong more than a load shift. if you watch, the aircraft tips to the right (screen right) initially, then because of overcorrection(?) slams far left before stalling out and almost doing a hammerhead roll. it's almost as if they suffered a complete power loss at 3:32:48. Hard to tell from the viewing angle, but that doesn't look any steeper than those things routinely fly in some situations.

Demonpenz 04-30-2013 11:02 AM

Why was the guy just sitting there in the truck. He could have gone to see if there was any survivors.

Dayze 04-30-2013 11:06 AM

HAARP

DJ's left nut 04-30-2013 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9645935)
something seems wrong more than a load shift. if you watch, the aircraft tips to the right (screen right) initially, then because of overcorrection(?) slams far left before stalling out and almost doing a hammerhead roll. it's almost as if they suffered a complete power loss at 3:32:48. Hard to tell from the viewing angle, but that doesn't look any steeper than those things routinely fly in some situations.

It doesn't until right before it loses altitude. It looks like he's on a standard ascent and then just a couple of seconds before he stalls, that nose shoots up. That's why I figured it was a load shift; you do appear to get that nose tipping up (though it's hard to say for certain from the angle).

And you can hear the thing is under full power as it goes into the ground. He's thrown the controls forward there trying to keep it from going in like that. I don't think there was a power loss at all.

I wondered if it wasn't a hydraulic failure, but he'd have never gotten it rolled level in time if his hydraulics went out (I think that can only be done via throttle controls at that point, but that's way beyond my knowledge base).

The plane still seemed pretty operable to have suffered a catastrophic failure. He was getting it under control right up until the end.

If it happens 10 seconds later, he might have been able to recover due to the extra altitude he'd have gained.

Sfeihc 04-30-2013 11:09 AM

Hate to see loss of life @ anytime. Especially of those serving our country but this one hits very close to home. Five of the seven were from a local reserve unit. RIP

Groves 04-30-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 9645859)

Looks like a vehicle-mounted camera. That's one stoic dashboard.

Ice in its veins.

Dave Lane 04-30-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9645845)

No it was this years draft

Dave Lane 04-30-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 9645935)

Maybe a stall but really hard to tell.

Dayze 04-30-2013 11:52 AM

or something the AP went screwy with the VS hold.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-30-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9645952)
It doesn't until right before it loses altitude. It looks like he's on a standard ascent and then just a couple of seconds before he stalls, that nose shoots up. That's why I figured it was a load shift; you do appear to get that nose tipping up (though it's hard to say for certain from the angle).

And you can hear the thing is under full power as it goes into the ground. He's thrown the controls forward there trying to keep it from going in like that. I don't think there was a power loss at all.

I wondered if it wasn't a hydraulic failure, but he'd have never gotten it rolled level in time if his hydraulics went out (I think that can only be done via throttle controls at that point, but that's way beyond my knowledge base).

The plane still seemed pretty operable to have suffered a catastrophic failure. He was getting it under control right up until the end.

If it happens 10 seconds later, he might have been able to recover due to the extra altitude he'd have gained.

you get sound? i didn't have any...

Johnny Vegas 04-30-2013 12:17 PM

Its those damn gremlins I tell you. too bad the plane didn't run outta gas before it reached the ground.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jgCyddjG8QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tooge 04-30-2013 12:20 PM

So they do break apart in mid air.

BlackHelicopters 04-30-2013 01:03 PM

Didn't know Mark Castle was a pilot.

loochy 04-30-2013 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9646136)
So they do break apart in mid air.

nope. it only broke apart once it hit the ground. frankie loses again.

Discuss Thrower 04-30-2013 01:14 PM

I can't imagine going out like that..

Well beyond the recurring dreams.

tooge 04-30-2013 01:22 PM

I'd have just opened the door and parachuted to safety/CP

Beef Supreme 04-30-2013 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9646273)

Not shitting you here. My dad used to work for a major small aircraft company and one of the test pilots that worked there had to put a plane down in a farmers corn field once and had to bail out. The farmer described seeing the parachute pop up from below the rows of corn. He survived and flew my family to California once on vacation.

Not recommending it, however.

cockeyes 04-30-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9645879)

Believe this is SOP there, to avoid possible surface-to-air fire

RockChalk 04-30-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9646285)
Not shitting you here. My dad used to work for a major small aircraft company and one of the test pilots that worked there had to put a plane down in a farmers corn field once and had to bail out. The farmer described seeing the parachute pop up from below the rows of corn. He survived and flew my family to California once on vacation.

What do you have against vacationing in California?

mlyonsd 04-30-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Vegas (Post 9646124)
Its those damn gremlins I tell you. too bad the plane didn't run outta gas before it reached the ground.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jgCyddjG8QI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

FWIW, Bugs Bunny first appeared in a cartoon 75 years ago today.

Johnny Vegas 04-30-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9646312)

dang. I did not know that.

Johnny Vegas 04-30-2013 01:45 PM

Napoleon gives his condolences

http://www.lolriot.com/wp-content/up...ying-hands.gif

Dayze 04-30-2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9646273)

LMAO

DJ's left nut 04-30-2013 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 9646285)

A guy that was a close friend of my quasi-flight instructor tried to do that and learned the first lesson in setting a plane down in a cornfield the very very hard way:

Always aim for the middle.

He tried to land at the front of the field and one of the wheels hit the fence (I believe it was the fence; could've been a power line). It flipped the plane right as it was about to touch down and killed the guy.

Fence or phone line, the concept is the same - aim for the center where you don't have to worry about that crap. The glide ratio's on small aircraft are truly amazing. Those things will damn near hover so long as the prop doesn't go into that funky retro-spin thing (it has a different name that I don't recall; it essentially cavitates and drops your nose). If you can get to a field, you can get to the center of it.

DJ's left nut 04-30-2013 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 9646049)
Maybe a stall but really hard to tell.

Not really. It's almost definitely a stall; the question is why.

I think the load shift caused it. Once that nose went up, there just wasn't enough power to maintain lift.

And when that happens, it's essentially akin to a kite-string going slack. There's no control until you can build your airspeed back up up to create enough lift for your flight surfaces to function again; essentially getting the string taught.

Like I said, the guy almost had it. You could see he had just started to get some stability back when he got it rounded out and you could hear the motors wailing. Give him another 100 feet of altitude and he either gets it back in the air or at least brings it to the ground with enough control to not end up in a fireball.

EDIT: Eh....he'd have needed more than that; he hadn't really started forward yet. Damn that thing went down fast. The guy probably didn't have enough time to comprehend the gravity of the situation before the lights went out.

Donger 04-30-2013 02:18 PM

Ick.

Steep departure, which is normal at Bagram. Looks like a load shift and stall. He (I presume) almost had it right at the end, too...

Altitude is life.

mikeyis4dcats. 04-30-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9646402)
Not really. It's almost definitely a stall; the question is why.

I think the load shift caused it. Once that nose went up, there just wasn't enough power to maintain lift.

And when that happens, it's essentially akin to a kite-string going slack. There's no control until you can build your airspeed back up up to create enough lift for your flight surfaces to function again; essentially getting the string taught.

Like I said, the guy almost had it. You could see he had just started to get some stability back when he got it rounded out and you could hear the motors wailing. Give him another 100 feet of altitude and he either gets it back in the air or at least brings it to the ground with enough control to not end up in a fireball.

EDIT: Eh....he'd have needed more than that; he hadn't really started forward yet. Damn that thing went down fast. The guy probably didn't have enough time to comprehend the gravity of the situation before the lights went out.

almost looks like they were trying to put the gear back down

houstonwhodat 04-30-2013 08:14 PM

Oh well.

Nightfyre 04-30-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 9645881)

Could be a CG issue, could also be a power management issue. I think if you asked the army, that is a prevalent problem in afghanistan. Bagram is only ~5000 feet though, but depending on temperature, I could see it.

notorious 04-30-2013 08:24 PM

I lost a friend to fuel shifting to the rear of a Lear and causing an nose-up attitude leading to stall/crash.

He/she didnt' stand a chance in this video. It is every pilot's worst nightmare to have an uncorrectable situation.

I am going to have nightmares about the pilots shoving the stick/yoke forward as hard as they can trying to recover. :(

threebag 04-30-2013 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 9646312)

Ya April 30 is a pretty kick ass day.

MOhillbilly 04-30-2013 09:19 PM

My dad was on a c130 that crashed in Vietnam. He said the Vietcong started walking flachete rounds into the crash site within minutes.

MIAdragon 04-30-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9647269)
Oh well.

Really?

|Zach| 04-30-2013 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9647269)
Oh well.

What a piece of shit you are.

Maybe your family is next...

Oh well.

Bugeater 04-30-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9647726)
What a piece of shit you are.

Maybe your family is next...

Oh well.

That would be fine with him because it would likely mean a large cash settlement.

Demonpenz 04-30-2013 09:35 PM

there is some static like the drivers cell phone rang during this...wonder who it was.

|Zach| 04-30-2013 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9647732)
That would be fine with him because it would likely mean a large cash settlement.

The only thing he has made obvious on this board is that he is a creepy lonely photographer who photographs cheerleaders while real photographers shoot games on top of being a piece of shit partisan hack.

CoMoChief 04-30-2013 09:38 PM

someone needs pilot lessons. thats horrible.

Ceej 04-30-2013 09:38 PM

Houston continues with his superior idiocy.

Bugeater 04-30-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |Zach| (Post 9647735)
The only thing he has made obvious on this board is that he is a creepy lonely photographer who photographs cheerleaders while real photographers shoot games on top of being a piece of shit partisan hack.

You must have missed when he was bragging about some frivolous lawsuit he won awhile back. I don't recall what it was about though.

Demonpenz 04-30-2013 09:41 PM

He slipped and fell somewhere.

Ceej 04-30-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 9647747)
He slipped and fell somewhere.

So he's a full blown reerun.

Got it.

|Zach| 04-30-2013 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9647740)
You must have missed when he was bragging about some frivolous lawsuit he won awhile back. I don't recall what it was about though.

What a complete waste of a human being. Sad and lonely.

Demonpenz 04-30-2013 09:44 PM

This is America...there are jobs that pay you to be lazy. You don't even need to run a hustle by slipping and falling somewhere.

Easy 6 05-01-2013 10:45 AM

Damn, thats hard to watch... i came awfully close to being in the exact same situation while doing map of the earth combat flights in a C-130 that had my equipment chained down in it, of the 14 chains it was tied down with, 7 popped in flight and i was almost frozen with fear over it, kept yelling at the crewman and pointing it out, he just stood there staring at me like Captain Badass.

He wouldnt have been so stoic if this sucker had gotten loose in there...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/x51GWv1l_Pc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tooge 05-01-2013 10:49 AM

I'm pretty sure it was a bad Fetzer valve. They got any 30 wt ball bearings over there?

notorious 05-01-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9648595)
I'm pretty sure it was a bad Fetzer valve. They got any 30 wt ball bearings over there?

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=H.47684...15792&pid=15.1