ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Fox Fall 2013: Almost Human (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273050)

keg in kc 05-14-2013 02:10 PM

Fox Fall 2013: Almost Human

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WCdHiZsSPjg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Quote:

ALMOST HUMAN From Emmy Award-winning executive producer J.J. Abrams (“Fringe,” “Lost,” the “Star Trek” and “Mission: Impossible” franchises) and creator/executive producer J.H. Wyman (“Fringe,” “The Mexican”), comes ALMOST HUMAN. Starring Karl Urban (“Star Trek”) and Michael Ealy (“Sleeper Cell,” “Common Law”), the new series is an action-packed police drama set 35 years in the future, when police officers are partnered with highly evolved human-like androids. The year is 2048. Meet JOHN KENNEX (Urban), a cop who survived one of the most catastrophic attacks ever made against the police department. After waking up from a 17-month coma, he can’t remember much – except that his partner was killed; his girlfriend, ANNA MOORE (guest star Mekia Cox, “Crazy, Stupid, Love.,” “Undercovers”), left him after the attack; and he lost one of his legs and is now outfitted with a highly sophisticated synthetic appendage. Suffering from depression, mental atrophy, trauma-onset OCD, PTSD and the “psychological rejection of his synthetic body part,” John returns to work at the behest of longtime ally Captain SANDRA MALDONADO (Emmy Award nominee Lili Taylor, “Six Feet Under,” “Ransom”). By mandate, every cop must partner with a robot. And despite his passionate aversion to androids, John is paired up with a battle-ready MX-43. But he abruptly terminates his partnership after the robot discovers incriminating information about him. So technician RUDY LOM (Mackenzie Crook, “Pirates of the Caribbean” franchise) introduces John to DORIAN (Ealy), a discontinued android with unexpected emotional responses. Although such responses were deemed flaws, it is in these “flaws” that John relates to Dorian most. After all, John is part-machine now, and Dorian is part-human. John and Dorian’s understanding of each other not only complements them, it connects them. As he adjusts to working with his new partner, John also must learn to get along with his new colleagues, including the eager and somewhat starstruck Detective VALERIE STAHL (Minka Kelly, “Friday Night Lights,” “(500) Days of Summer”) and the distrustful Detective RICHARD PAUL (Michael Irby, “Law Abiding Citizen,” “The Unit”), who does not welcome John back with open arms. ALMOST HUMAN will follow the week-to-week missions of John and Dorian, as they fight crime across this futuristic landscape, while the mysteries surrounding his attack and the larger mythology of this new world unfold. ALMOST HUMAN is produced by Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Bad Robot Productions and Warner Bros. Television. The series is created by J.H. Wyman, who wrote the pilot. The series is executive-produced by J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk and Wyman. Kathy Lingg (“Person of Interest,” “Revolution,” “Fringe”) and Reid Shane (“Fringe”) are co-executive producers. Brad Anderson (“Fringe,” “The Killing”) directed and served as co-executive producer on the pilot.

PRODUCTION COMPANIES: Warner Bros. Television, Bad Robot Productions, Bonanza Productions Inc.

CREATOR/WRITER: J.H. Wyman

EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: J.J. Abrams, Bryan Burk, J.H. Wyman

CO-EXECUTIVE PRODUCERS: Brad Anderson (pilot), Kathy Lingg, Reid Shane

DIRECTOR: Brad Anderson

CAST: Karl Urban as John Kennex, Michael Ealy as Dorian, Minka Kelly as Valerie Stahl, Michael Irby as Richard Paul, Mackenzie Crook as Rudy Lom, Lili Taylor as Maldonado

Bowser 05-14-2013 02:39 PM

I, Robot, white guy version.

Strong cast. Might give this a chance.

Deberg_1990 05-14-2013 04:18 PM

This shows promise.

mnchiefsguy 05-14-2013 04:37 PM

I like Karl Urban. Trailer seemed pretty cool. Will have to check it out.

Sure-Oz 05-14-2013 08:01 PM

Ok this got my attention, looks similiar to I robot. Dude from Judge Dredd and Star Trek

keg in kc 05-14-2013 09:13 PM

Nice little behind the scenes bit. It sort of reminds me of the partner dynamic in Common Law (another Michael Ealy vehicle, last summer on USA).

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HJ4CfSjcyvw?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

lawrenceRaider 05-15-2013 10:58 AM

Been a while since I watched a network show. This looks like a must watch though!

keg in kc 10-29-2013 07:44 AM

<iframe width="512" height="288" src="http://www.hulu.com/embed.html?eid=zkileihkdmrtiznu-4m0ta" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe>

Frazod 10-29-2013 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9682017)

From the previews it reminds me of Alien Nation, with an android instead of an alien.

At least the guy won't be eating raw beaver. :D

siberian khatru 10-29-2013 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10137223)
From the previews it reminds me of Alien Nation, with an android instead of an alien.

At least the guy won't be eating raw beaver. :D

Had the same thought.

There was also a TV comedy in the 70s called "Holmes and Yo-Yo" where a cop had a robot partner.

keg in kc 10-29-2013 08:54 AM

You guys are old.

siberian khatru 10-29-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10137277)
You guys are old.

I prefer to think of it as "seasoned."

Frazod 10-29-2013 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10137308)

The bad part is, I not only remember it, but also who starred in it.

GET OFF MY LAWN

keg in kc 10-29-2013 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10137308)

More like "pickeled".

siberian khatru 10-29-2013 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10137336)
The bad part is, I not only remember it, but also who starred in it.

GET OFF MY LAWN

John Schuck and Richard B. Shull. And I didn't even have to look it up. Why? Show didn't last long. WHY DO WE REMEMBER THAT??????

siberian khatru 10-29-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10137344)
More like "pickeled".

Only on weekends.

siberian khatru 10-29-2013 09:42 AM

Half the time I can't remember my cellphone number. But I can remember "Holmes and Yo-Yo."

Sometimes I walk into a room and can't remember why I went there. But when my son says "clay," I can instantly respond in my best Alan-Rickman-faux-American accent: "Clay. Bill Clay."

Frazod 10-29-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10137379)
Half the time I can't remember my cellphone number. But I can remember "Holmes and Yo-Yo."

Sometimes I walk into a room and can't remember why I went there. But when my son says "clay," I can instantly respond in my best Alan-Rickman-faux-American accent: "Clay. Bill Clay."

Tell me about it. The only reason I remember yesterday was because it featured my favorite baseball team collectively shitting themselves in the World Series.

But the Charm of Making from Excalibur? I can recite that on demand, and sound exactly like Nicol Williamson while doing it. :harumph:

Tribal Warfare 10-29-2013 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 9682336)
I like Karl Urban. Trailer seemed pretty cool. Will have to check it out.

For Urban to do a network TV series, you've got to wonder if he's strapped for cash and needs a steady paycheck.

underEJ 10-29-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10137448)
For Urban to do a network TV series, you've got to wonder if he's strapped for cash and needs a steady paycheck.

More likely he just wants to stay put for a while if he can to hang out with his family more. The moving of film production to dozens of different countries has really good actors jumping to tv to settle down a bit. The lure of potentially a few years in Vancouver might just sound like a great deal.

Show looks to have some promise, and those are some seriously handsome men. I'm not one to watch something shitty just for eye candy, but it might get me to give it a chance!

mnchiefsguy 10-29-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

It was a surprise to me seeing him on the small screen, for sure, although the lines between TV and Movie acting is pretty much non-existent these days, all kinds of stars cross back and forth.

Two night series premiere, with episodes on Sunday and Monday. Hoping it will be good.

whoman69 10-29-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 9682017)

I, Robot had nothing to do with I, Robot except they bought the rights to the name.

whoman69 10-29-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

You'd have thought he was well paid for Star Trek, RED and Dredd. Maybe its because I don't think there will be a sequel for Dredd.

keg in kc 10-29-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10137409)
Tell me about it. The only reason I remember yesterday was because it featured my favorite baseball team collectively shitting themselves in the World Series.

But the Charm of Making from Excalibur? I can recite that on demand, and sound exactly like Nicol Williamson while doing it.

Shit, I was like that before I got old. Half the time I can't remember what I was doing 30 seconds ago. And it was exactly the same 20 years ago. LMAO

But I remember books and movies cold.

keg in kc 11-17-2013 07:10 AM

Getting panned in reviews. Sounds like it might be another Bad Robot miss.

whoman69 11-17-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 10137268)
Had the same thought.

There was also a TV comedy in the 70s called "Holmes and Yo-Yo" where a cop had a robot partner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10137277)
You guys are old.

They stole that idea from Get Smart. Guess that makes me even older.

Sure-Oz 11-17-2013 08:20 AM

I'm dvring it and hoping its decent. Reviews think its missing the mark

-King- 11-17-2013 01:42 PM

Just saw a snippet of it. Yeah it looks horrible.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King- 11-17-2013 07:19 PM

Yep. It's pretty bad.

Sure-Oz 11-18-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10195979)
Yep. It's pretty bad.

I dvr'ed it and am tonight...dang

007 11-18-2013 05:14 PM

It wasn't bad but it wasn't very good either.

Deberg_1990 11-18-2013 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10202868)
It wasn't bad but it wasn't very good either.

I give it till Christmas, then gone after the new year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tribal Warfare 11-18-2013 09:12 PM

IMO, this is a solid show based on its two part premiere.

Silock 11-19-2013 02:47 AM

I think the problem with it is that Karl Urban's character is useless. He just serves as a chauffeur for the android, who is solving all the cases.

I want one of those sexbots though.

hometeam 11-19-2013 08:11 AM

I haven't read through this thread because of spoiler but I am going to watch the pilot episode on Hulu+/chromecast tonight

Lzen 11-19-2013 03:07 PM

Decent so far. I enjoyed it.

whoman69 11-20-2013 11:29 AM

Of the three new shows I am watching:
Sleepy Hollow
Shield
Almost Human

This is the best of the lot. I have to disagree with the Karl Urban character being useless. He was the entire force behind the first episode. Its almost like a Kirk/Spock teaming with the emotional leader using his gut instincts being guided by the logical first mate who brings the technical knowledge.

The second lost a little zing going for the T&A angle. I'm waiting for the android to have his breakdown.

JD10367 11-21-2013 10:56 AM

Not sure why it's being panned. Sure, the territory isn't new ("Blade Runner", Data from "ST: TNG", "Robocop") but it's well done, especially for TV. Might have a better chance of survival on SyFy, though.

Frazod 11-21-2013 11:42 AM

I have it recorded, haven't watched it yet.

keg in kc 11-21-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10209362)
I have it recorded, haven't watched it yet.

Same.

Too much TV to keep up with.

Frazod 11-21-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10209838)
Same.

Too much TV to keep up with.

Watching it right now, actually.

keg in kc 11-21-2013 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frazod (Post 10210877)
Watching it right now, actually.

I just finished Supernatural and NCIS and am halfway through tonight's Elementary.

And just realized my DVR deleted the Sunday AH pilot to make room for something else on Tuesday. On Demand it is. Sometime.

Frazod 11-21-2013 10:57 PM

Watched the pilot and the first episode. I really enjoyed it.

mdchiefsfan 11-22-2013 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10207119)
Of the three new shows I am watching:
Sleepy Hollow
Shield
Almost Human

This is the best of the lot. I have to disagree with the Karl Urban character being useless. He was the entire force behind the first episode. Its almost like a Kirk/Spock teaming with the emotional leader using his gut instincts being guided by the logical first mate who brings the technical knowledge.

The second lost a little zing going for the T&A angle. I'm waiting for the android to have his breakdown.

:spock: are you referring to The Shield? Because if you are, I don't see how those shows can even contend.

EDIT: Im and idiot. Proceed.

Buehler445 11-23-2013 11:16 AM

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It is basically I, Robot without the big computer. But I thought the humor was good and I care about the character. As long as they come up with a decent plot it should be good.

Tribal Warfare 11-23-2013 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10213374)
I enjoyed the first 2 episodes. It is basically I, Robot without the big computer. But I thought the humor was good and I care about the character. As long as they come up with a decent plot it should be good.

Ghost in the Shell influenced too

keg in kc 11-23-2013 12:42 PM

Watched it last night. Really liked it. Moreso than either SHIELD or Sleepy Hollow. I think it's looking like it could develop into the best purely science fiction show on TV for the last few years.

Buehler445 11-23-2013 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10213562)
Watched it last night. Really liked it. Moreso than either SHIELD or Sleepy Hollow. I think it's looking like it could develop into the best purely science fiction show on TV for the last few years.

Potentially. I'm sure if it heads that way Fox will shitcan it.

keg in kc 11-23-2013 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 10213574)
Potentially. I'm sure if it heads that way Fox will shitcan it.

It'll depend on the ratings. It dropped 26% from the pilot to Monday (not a surprise), but it's one of the highest live-plus-seven new shows of the year so far (behind SHIELD, Blacklist, Crazy Ones and Sleepy Hollow).

It keeps that up, and it's fine. Fox doesn't just randomly cancel stuff. They cancel stuff because nobody's watching.

Tribal Warfare 11-26-2013 07:24 PM

It was an OK Die Hard episode the other night

unlurking 11-27-2013 07:55 AM

Basically, but I enjoyed it. Much better than SHIELD or Arrow so far.

What is "live-plus-seven"?

Silock 11-27-2013 08:39 AM

Better than Arrow? You're on crack.

Third episode was boring as ****. Turned it off halfway through. I'll finish it sometime, but it didn't hold my interest at all.

007 11-28-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10228591)

Third episode was boring as ****. Turned it off halfway through. I'll finish it sometime, but it didn't hold my interest at all.

Really? I thought it was better than the first two. Pilot was boring as hell IMO.

unlurking 11-28-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10228591)

I don't see what every loves so much about Arrow. The acting sucks and it just seems cheaply done.

Silock 11-28-2013 10:53 AM

The acting is on par with Almost Human. Arrow doesn't overly rely on special effects, which is nice.

I started the Almost Human episode over and watched the whole thing. It was better on a second viewing. Still a little "meh," but lots of shows that I like haven't always hit the ground running.

Tribal Warfare 11-28-2013 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10230591)
The acting is on par with Almost Human. Arrow doesn't overly rely on special effects, which is nice.

I started the Almost Human episode over and watched the whole thing. It was better on a second viewing. Still a little "meh," but lots of shows that I like haven't always hit the ground running.

Fringe was like this until they found their niche with the alternate dimension instead of the "monster of the week" copied format from the X-Files.

unlurking 11-28-2013 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silock (Post 10230591)

Acting isn't even close. As far as relying on special effects, I'd rather that then being too cheap to afford special effects and constantly relying on darkness. It's like having cheap choreography and shitty combat scene actors, and so having to rely on constant angle changes, darkness, and jittery cameras.

Silock 11-28-2013 03:40 PM

Karl "broodmeister" Urban isn't exactly going to win an Emmy for this. Nor will the captain lady. She's awful. Arrow isn't that badly acted.

Darkness is a part of superheroes.

unlurking 11-29-2013 09:12 AM

I agree Urban is not a guy that comes to mind when discussing great actors, but he's 10 X better than whoever plays Oliver Queen. That said, Ealy is 10 X better than anyone on either show. Never heard of him before, but he's been really good.

I also agree darkness is / can be a part of a superhero's world. However, it seems like every set on Arrow is overly dark to hide something. Even the scenes in daytime offices or other setting where you normally have an abundance of light are dark and moody. It just seems awfully cheap. Don't get me wrong, I love the storyline. It's just missing something. I'm glad Malcom is back. I honestly was ready to stop watching after the last episode. Right up until the end. Now I'll give it a few more weeks at least.

Silock 11-29-2013 09:36 AM

I think Oliver is good, as is Felicity.

unlurking 11-30-2013 09:51 AM

I think Felicity is hawt, does that count? :D

Like I said in another thread, it may just be the horrible wig, but I completely dismiss Oliver during the flashbacks. That wig so thoroughly distracts me, that to be honest, I may be carrying it over and seeing it during present scenes and hating him for it still.

I am glad Malcom is back. Thea going rogue with Daddy would be a cool twist, and she is one of the few characters I really like. I've never read Green Arrow, so I have no idea what to expect.

Also, the darkness (mood not lighting) felt more realistic when he was still killing people. Bring back the killing!!!

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread.

Silock 11-30-2013 10:02 AM

I can agree with that :)

I think Thea is the hottest on the show, followed by Felicity.

007 11-30-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 10233716)
I think Felicity is hawt, does that count? :D

Like I said in another thread, it may just be the horrible wig, but I completely dismiss Oliver during the flashbacks. That wig so thoroughly distracts me, that to be honest, I may be carrying it over and seeing it during present scenes and hating him for it still.

I am glad Malcom is back. Thea going rogue with Daddy would be a cool twist, and she is one of the few characters I really like. I've never read Green Arrow, so I have no idea what to expect.

Also, the darkness (mood not lighting) felt more realistic when he was still killing people. Bring back the killing!!!

Anyways, sorry to derail the thread.

At first I wasn't sure on Felicity but she has really built that character up nicely. Probably the best actor on the show now.

keg in kc 12-11-2013 12:37 AM

Just caught Monday's, thought it was the best one so far.

whoman69 12-11-2013 03:39 PM

I always thought the clone angle would allow him to create reasonable doubt since he could claim it was possibly one of his clones committing the murder.

Tribal Warfare 12-11-2013 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whoman69 (Post 10269024)
I always thought the clone angle would allow him to create reasonable doubt since he could claim it was possibly one of his clones committing the murder.

I originally thought that Avery was still out there controlling and giving orders while his clones( including the older Avery) were taking the wrap/fall for his actions

Tribal Warfare 12-16-2013 07:43 PM

BTW, DRN is an anagram for DNR ( Do Not Resuscitate)
<mytubeelement data="{&quot;bundle&quot;:{&quot;label_delimitor&quot;:&quot;:&quot;,&quot;percentage&quot;:&quot;%& quot;,&quot;smart_buffer&quot;:&quot;Smart Buffer&quot;,&quot;start_playing_when_buffered&quot;:&quot;Start playing when buffered&quot;,&quot;sound&quot;:&quot;Sound&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification&quot;:&quot;Desktop Notification&quot;,&quot;continuation_on_next_line&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;loop&quot;:&quot;Loop&quot;,&quot;only_notify&quot;:&quot;Only Notify&quot;,&quot;estimated_time&quot;:&quot;Estimated Time&quot;,&quot;global_preferences&quot;:&quot;Global Preferences&quot;,&quot;no_notification_supported_on_your_browser&quot;:&quot;No notification style supported on your browser version&quot;,&quot;video_buffered&quot;:&quot;Video Buffered&quot;,&quot;buffered&quot;:&quot;Buffered&quot;,&quot;hyphen&quot;:&quot;-&quot;,&quot;buffered_message&quot;:&quot;The video has been buffered as requested and is ready to play.&quot;,&quot;not_supported&quot;:&quot;Not Supported&quot;,&quot;on&quot;:&quot;On&quot;,&quot;off&quot;:&quot;Off&quot;,&quot;click_to_enable_ for_this_site&quot;:&quot;Click to enable for this site&quot;,&quot;desktop_notification_denied&quot;:&quot;You have denied permission for desktop notification for this site&quot;,&quot;notification_status_delimitor&quot;:&quot;;&quot;,&quot;error&quot;:&quot;Error&quo t;,&quot;adblock_interferance_message&quot;:&quot;Adblock (or similar extension) is known to interfere with SmartVideo. Please add this url to adblock whitelist.&quot;,&quot;calculating&quot;:&quot;Calculating&quot;,&quot;waiting&quot;:&quot;Waiting&q uot;,&quot;will_start_buffering_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start buffering when initialized&quot;,&quot;will_start_playing_when_initialized&quot;:&quot;Will start playing when initialized&quot;,&quot;completed&quot;:&quot;Completed&quot;,&quot;buffering_stalled&quot;:&quot;Bu ffering is stalled. Will stop.&quot;,&quot;stopped&quot;:&quot;Stopped&quot;,&quot;hr&quot;:&quot;Hr&quot;,&quot;min&quot;:&q uot;Min&quot;,&quot;sec&quot;:&quot;Sec&quot;,&quot;any_moment&quot;:&quot;Any Moment&quot;,&quot;popup_donate_to&quot;:&quot;Donate to&quot;,&quot;extension_id&quot;:null},&quot;prefs&quot;:{&quot;desktopNotification&quot;:true,&quo t;soundNotification&quot;:true,&quot;logLevel&quot;:0,&quot;enable&quot;:true,&quot;loop&quot;:false ,&quot;hidePopup&quot;:false,&quot;autoPlay&quot;:false,&quot;autoBuffer&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlayOn Buffer&quot;:true,&quot;autoPlayOnBufferPercentage&quot;:42,&quot;autoPlayOnSmartBuffer&quot;:true,& quot;quality&quot;:&quot;hd1080&quot;,&quot;fshd&quot;:true,&quot;onlyNotification&quot;:false,&quot ;enableFullScreen&quot;:true,&quot;saveBandwidth&quot;:true,&quot;hideAnnotations&quot;:false,&quot; turnOffPagedBuffering&quot;:true}}" event="preferencesUpdated" id="myTubeRelayElementToPage"></mytubeelement><mytubeelement data="{&quot;loadBundle&quot;:true}" event="relayPrefs" id="myTubeRelayElementToTab"></mytubeelement>