ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Terrell Owens still trying to play... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273768)

MeaTy The Pimp 06-12-2013 01:31 PM

Terrell Owens still trying to play...

Per NFL.com today: (scary part bolded(Thankfully not much chance of it happening))

Terrell Owens has been off the NFL grid since the*Seattle Seahawks*cut him during training camp last summer.The writing certainly appears to be on the wall for the 39-year-old wide receiver,*who said last weekhe'd formally retire if he couldn't find work in 2013.Play fantasy football on NFL.comWhy play*fantasy footballanywhere else? Play the official free fantasy football game of the NFL.*Sign up today*in under two minutes.Owens still burns to play, and his best recourse is to stay in shape (never a problem for T.O.) while keeping his name in the public consciousness. And so it was that Owens rolled out of bed early on Wednesday for a morning of chatter on NFL Network's "NFL AM."Has Owens heard from another NFL team since his release from the*Seahawks?"Nothing as of right now," he said. "So I understand the process. Obviously teams are really taking a closer look in evaluating their younger players. Being a free agent, I understand that later in the months as training camp starts, they'll start looking for veterans."Though he obviously can't be choosy at this stage, Owens explained his best fit would come with a team operating a West Coast offense. He cited the*Minnesota Vikings*and*Kansas City Chiefs*as options.Owens has a good relationship with*Vikings*wide receivers coach George Stewart. The*Chiefs*are coached by*Andy Reid, for whom Owens played on the*Philadelphia Eagles.Owens still feels he's being punished for his antics earlier in his career."It's all politics," he said. "I think a lot of it has to do with my reputation, things that I've done early in my career. I'm a changed person. I'm a bit more mature than I was in years past and I think if anybody out there can look past that, and look what I can bring to the team than some of the things that happened in the past, I can look past it and maybe they could and I could go in and help a team develop some of those younger guys."It's a familiar message from Owens, who has been selling himself as a playmaker in need of an opportunity for the better part of two years now. Time is running out

BossChief 06-12-2013 01:40 PM

The last time I saw him play he dropped 3 or 4 passes in a game and looked terrible.

That said, I wouldn't be too pissed if Reid decided to give Terrell another chance.

CoMoChief 06-12-2013 01:43 PM

If this was a few years ago I'd be all for bringing him in for a look. But he's just too old and slow at this point. He's still in phenomenal shape. But I doubt he'd be able to get any separation at all from the DB's in this league now.

mcaj22 06-12-2013 01:47 PM

it's sad to think he could be a better #2 at his stage now than Baldwin or Avery

Lex Luthor 06-12-2013 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeaTy The Pimp (Post 9747313)
Per NFL.com today: (scary part bolded(Thankfully not much chance of it happening))

Terrell Owens has been off the NFL grid since the*Seattle Seahawks*cut him during training camp last summer.The writing certainly appears to be on the wall for the 39-year-old wide receiver,*who said last weekhe'd formally retire if he couldn't find work in 2013.Play fantasy football on NFL.comWhy play*fantasy footballanywhere else? Play the official free fantasy football game of the NFL.*Sign up today*in under two minutes.Owens still burns to play, and his best recourse is to stay in shape (never a problem for T.O.) while keeping his name in the public consciousness. And so it was that Owens rolled out of bed early on Wednesday for a morning of chatter on NFL Network's "NFL AM."Has Owens heard from another NFL team since his release from the*Seahawks?"Nothing as of right now," he said. "So I understand the process. Obviously teams are really taking a closer look in evaluating their younger players. Being a free agent, I understand that later in the months as training camp starts, they'll start looking for veterans."Though he obviously can't be choosy at this stage, Owens explained his best fit would come with a team operating a West Coast offense. He cited the*Minnesota Vikings*and*Kansas City Chiefs*as options.Owens has a good relationship with*Vikings*wide receivers coach George Stewart. The*Chiefs*are coached by*Andy Reid, for whom Owens played on the*Philadelphia Eagles. Owens still feels he's being punished for his antics earlier in his career."It's all politics," he said. "I think a lot of it has to do with my reputation, things that I've done early in my career. I'm a changed person. I'm a bit more mature than I was in years past and I think if anybody out there can look past that, and look what I can bring to the team than some of the things that happened in the past, I can look past it and maybe they could and I could go in and help a team develop some of those younger guys."It's a familiar message from Owens, who has been selling himself as a playmaker in need of an opportunity for the better part of two years now. Time is running out

Pro tip: If you're copying and pasting an article, the readers appreciate it if you take an extra 20 seconds to delete things that aren't part of the article.

Just sayin'.

loochy 06-12-2013 01:49 PM

BRING HIM IN TO PLAY TIGHT END WITH BALDWIN

ChiefAshhole20 06-12-2013 01:50 PM

I am not comfortable with our WR situation. Even if it isn't T.O, I really hope they aren't done shopping for another one

CleveSteve 06-12-2013 02:18 PM

TO needs to be on a roster. KC, San Fran, NYJ (scratch that... terrible choice) heck GB could probably use him.

TO opposite Brandon Marshall would be a bad, bad day to be an NFL cornerback.

ptlyon 06-12-2013 02:22 PM

"Andy, Terrell Owens is on line two waiting for you."

"Who?"

Rain Man 06-12-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeaTy The Pimp (Post 9747313)
Owens still feels he's being punished for his antics earlier in his career."It's all politics," he said.

I like how he calls it "punishment", as if teams think he would be good and just want to make him suffer for his past. The truth is that some teams might think he would be good, but also think he's just not worth the headaches that he will inevitably create. That's not punishment. It just means that everyone knows you're a jerk and it's not worth dealing with it.

stonedstooge 06-12-2013 02:37 PM

Just what a new coach with a bunch of new players needs in the locker room

Thig Lyfe 06-12-2013 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 9747389)
BRING HIM IN TO PLAY TIGHT END WITH BALDWIN

JBTOTE

Dayze 06-12-2013 02:43 PM

only if he cries in defense of Alex.

tyton75 06-12-2013 02:45 PM

I don't see why it would be a bad thing to sign him to the vet minimum and let him compete in Training Camp. If he can't do it anymore, cut him... simple.

EagleRob 06-12-2013 02:45 PM

T.O. demands a top QB to go with his penchant to drop easy catches. He's never been happy with any QB he played with. He's a narcissist who blames others for circumstances that are equally if not completely his fault. C-A-N-C-E-R. No way Reid entertains it.

morphius 06-12-2013 02:48 PM

Only team that wouldn't shock me to see them sign him would be the Patriots. With the loss of Welker, and their earlier success with Moss they might just try if they don't like the way things are going.

MeaTy The Pimp 06-12-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 9747387)
Pro tip: If you're copying and pasting an article, the readers appreciate it if you take an extra 20 seconds to delete things that aren't part of the article.

Just sayin'.

My bad, I was posting from my tablet while at work. :P I thought I had all the guff deleted out.

'Hamas' Jenkins 06-12-2013 04:02 PM

I don't see how he would be able to get any separation at this point in his career.

alpha_omega 06-12-2013 04:03 PM

F T.O.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 04:09 PM

1) Our WR corps minus Bowe is straight-up "pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft"
2) The price is probably right.
3) See #1

Titty Meat 06-12-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 9747839)
I don't see how he would be able to get any separation at this point in his career.

He was able to against jalil Brown last pre season

displacedinMN 06-12-2013 05:40 PM

All good points everyone.

He is just on a fishing expedition.
He is broke and needs a job..

Cannibal 06-12-2013 06:15 PM

I really don't need to see TO on the sideline yelling at Andy Reid and the QB every time things don't go his way. We DON'T need that bullshit in the first year of this rebuild. TO is finished. I'm sure Reid will not be stupid enough to bring that ****in sideshow freak in at this point.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 06:24 PM

It only took 23 posts to get the obligatory "locker room cancer" take on the table.

Cannibal 06-12-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9748079)
It only too 23 posts to get the obligatory "locker room cancer" take on the table.

Surprised it wasn't sooner, because it's 100% true.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9748087)
Surprised it wasn't sooner, because it's 100% true.

And I'd still take him.

Cannibal 06-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9748088)
And I'd still take him.

Very glad it's not your call.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9748090)
Very glad it's not your call.

Nor yours.

Mav 06-12-2013 06:34 PM

lol, how is this even a discussion at this point? He couldnt beat out Braylon Edwards, or Doug Baldwin last year to even make the Seahawks roster. (btw, braylon was also cut during the season) but yet, there are some who think this guy could play in KC. hes 39 years old, hes done.

Cannibal 06-12-2013 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9748092)
Nor yours.

You can like TO if you want. I've got no problem with that.

I don't want him though, and we don't need him IMO.

AphexPhin 06-12-2013 06:40 PM

this is just sad at this point

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9748106)
You can like TO if you want. I've got no problem with that.

I don't want him though, and we don't need him IMO.

It's not a matter of "liking" the man. It's a matter of having a deeper receiving corps. If Bowe goes out: game over.

Darckhorse0 06-12-2013 07:32 PM

TERRELL OWENS TO THE CHIEFS

I would absolutely LOVE to have #81 T.O. & #82 D.bowe at the x and y. Reason being is a hungry guy like T.O. would push bowe. Bowe has NEVER had a scare or competition in camp. T.O. is faster, stronger and has better hands and just a better all around receiver.

The bowe and T.O. show would be a first real chiefs duo since carlos carson & henry marshall, carlos carson & stephone paige, jj birden & willie davis, andre' rison & derrick alexander and anybody trent green threw too nevertheless a chiefs receiving duo combination is LONG overdo.

T.O., Bowe, mccluster, gilyard, baldwin, donnie avery, jamal charles we would be a force to reckon with.

Dayze 06-12-2013 07:34 PM

Shirley you can't be serious

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9748209)
Shirley you can't be serious

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_cdZ3h-Rhpk...kdrebbin_1.jpg

Rain Man 06-12-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cannibal (Post 9748063)
I really don't need to see TO on the sideline yelling at Andy Reid and the QB every time things don't go his way. We DON'T need that bullshit in the first year of this rebuild. TO is finished. I'm sure Reid will not be stupid enough to bring that ****in sideshow freak in at this point.

I thought the conjecture that KC would be interested because of Reid coaching Owens was pretty funny. Any team whose coach had Owens in the past would be less likely to sign him, I bet.

Cannibal 06-12-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9748230)
I thought the conjecture that KC would be interested because of Reid coaching Owens was pretty funny. Any team whose coach had Owens in the past would be less likely to sign him, I bet.

Good point.

We won't be signing him.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-12-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9748230)

Not necessarily. If Reid had a hand in drafting him initially, he might be altruistic enough to give him a final shot in this league.

Simply Red 06-12-2013 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thig Lyfe (Post 9747507)
JBTOTE

:spock::evil:LMAO:shake::(ROFL:rolleyes::clap:

ChiefAshhole20 06-12-2013 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darckhorse0 (Post 9748197)
I would absolutely LOVE to have #81 T.O. & #82 D.bowe at the x and y. Reason being is a hungry guy like T.O. would push bowe. Bowe has NEVER had a scare or competition in camp. T.O. is faster, stronger and has better hands and just a better all around receiver.

The bowe and T.O. show would be a first real chiefs duo since carlos carson & henry marshall, carlos carson & stephone paige, jj birden & willie davis, andre' rison & derrick alexander and anybody trent green threw too nevertheless a chiefs receiving duo combination is LONG overdo.

T.O., Bowe, mccluster, gilyard, baldwin, donnie avery, jamal charles we would be a force to reckon with.

1. It would be "X and Z", the "Y" position is usually the slot/TE.
2. If T.O were to join a team, he wouldn't be challenging the number 1, he most likely would be a depth signing opposed to a starter
3. He's 39. He is most likely going to resemble how Toomer or Bobby Engram looked when they tried to have their one last run

AussieChiefsFan 06-12-2013 09:52 PM

Yeah, no.

TimeForWasp 06-12-2013 11:00 PM

I don't see a problem with bringing him in as camp fodder. Tell him he is camp fodder and see if he has the drive left to prove us wrong.

ChiefGator 06-13-2013 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9748276)
Not necessarily. If Reid had a hand in drafting him initially, he might be altruistic enough to give him a final shot in this league.

A) San Fran drafted him, not Philly (or GB)

B) The last year Reid had TO he deactivated him for most the season because he was such a problem

Mr. Sweet Daddy Hate... you should bring on that hate in this case.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-13-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9748800)

B) The last year Reid had TO he deactivated him for most the season because he was such a problem

Welp, I guess that ends the experiment.

HemiEd 06-13-2013 08:13 AM

IMO he has a much better chance of getting some kind of wr gig than making it as a Pro Bowler. ROFL

I found the bowling article (q I am sure) quite amusing, and further proof the guy is a total idiot.
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...al_bowler.html

Mav 06-13-2013 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darckhorse0 (Post 9748197)

Yeah, if this was the T.O. of 2001
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 9748276)

Yeah, this was answered already, but did you forget that he was a pro bowler for the 49ers long before getting to philly? lol
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 9748800)

People quickly forget about this guy holding a workout in his driveway. yeah, that was during his philly days.

The truth is, that at this point in his career, the best he could be is a 4th receiver. You dont need to bring that kind of character concern in with a guy who is so broke, he just wants to earn a check. he has zero skills outside of football at which to make a living, and bringing him in offers almost zero positives to the team, nor the lockerroom, and honestly, the press he would bring, would be a detriment to other players at the wide receiver position. It was never going to happen here.

CleveSteve 06-13-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maverick91579 (Post 9749431)
The truth is, that at this point in his career, the best he could be is a 4th receiver.

Actually, that's just your speculation. Last time he was on a 53-man roster, he had a 983 yard season with 9 TDs despite missing 2 games (with Carson Palmer throwing the ball of all people.) The guy is a lot of things, but one of those things is a workout freak. I bet he's in better shape than several starting WRs in the league, and probably faster still, too.

Rasputin 06-13-2013 02:02 PM

Bring him in as a FB. Can't have too many FB on this roster.

Can't believe I'm the first with this novel idea :)

TK421 06-13-2013 02:07 PM

We already have a bunch of WRs who drop balls. I would pass.

Rasputin 06-13-2013 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TK421 (Post 9749587)
We already have a bunch of WRs who drop balls. I would pass.

It's funny I heard TO say on NFL net that it was politics that was keeping him off a team roster and not his football skills or decline in his play I should say.

It was pretty funny how serious he was.

ChiefGator 06-13-2013 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9749605)
It's funny I heard TO say on NFL net that it was politics that was keeping him off a team roster and not his football skills or decline in his play I should say.

It was pretty funny how serious he was.

Did the hosts kind of look at him strangely and say "Not sure if serious..."