ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Other Sports Disc Golfer electrocuted in KCKS (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=273866)

Pablo 06-16-2013 08:28 PM

Disc Golfer electrocuted in KCKS

http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/local_n...al-disc-golfer

I know there are a couple of guys on here that disc golf(phisherman and strongside in particular) and just came across this story. Hope you CP dudes are alright.

And this story says he was electrocuted at 3 a.m.???

I've never done disc golfing at night, is this a common practice?

In58men 06-16-2013 08:31 PM

Shocking

Dante84 06-16-2013 08:38 PM

He was a good guy; friend of a friend. Sad story.

JoeyChuckles 06-16-2013 08:40 PM

Maybe it's the earth's way of telling you to stop playing Frisbee golf at 3AM.

TribalElder 06-16-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeyChuckles (Post 9756061)

That was my first thought why at 3 am

Really sucks though, I guess you never know when it's time to go

DaFace 06-16-2013 08:42 PM

Night disc golf isn't something everyone does for sure, but it's certainly not uncommon. You attach glow sticks to the baskets and little tiny ones to the underside of your discs. It's a lot of fun.

Pablo 06-16-2013 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9756053)

That's too bad.

phisherman 06-16-2013 08:42 PM

A power line came down in the storm yesterday at Rosedale around 4 in the afternoon. It was reported to the city at that time, but wasn't fixed.

Playing glow golf isn't all that unusual, but playing it at 3:30 am isn't all that common, very sad regardless.

DaFace 06-16-2013 08:43 PM

Quote:

Since when do power lines = the earth? And are you suggesting that people have never been electrocuted by downed power lines during the day?

DaFace 06-16-2013 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9756078)
A power line came down in the storm yesterday at Rosedale around 4 in the afternoon. It was reported to the city at that time, but wasn't fixed.

Playing glow golf isn't all that unusual, but playing it at 3:30 am isn't all that common, very sad regardless.

If this particular one had been reported and wasn't fixed, the city could have a pretty expensive lawsuit on its hands.

Pablo 06-16-2013 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9756076)
Night disc golf isn't something everyone does for sure, but it's certainly not uncommon. You attach glow sticks to the baskets and little tiny ones to the underside of your discs. It's a lot of fun.

Yeah, I know there is a such thing as night golfing so it makes sense; but I've never done that or disc golf at night before. Sounds fun.

Saul Good 06-16-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

I think he had been drinking. Supposedly, he was pretty buzzed.

phisherman 06-16-2013 08:50 PM

It was definitely reported, we had a very large tournament running this weekend and the power line came down during a rain delay. The round was then postponed and eventually cancelled, the downed power line being the main reason.

Prison Bitch 06-16-2013 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 9756029)
Shocking

Dude don't start any static.

007 06-16-2013 08:52 PM

Frisbee tournament?

Pablo 06-16-2013 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 9756166)
Frisbee tournament?

Disc golf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disc_golf

Rain Man 06-16-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9756087)
Since when do power lines = the earth? And are you suggesting that people have never been electrocuted by downed power lines during the day?

No person has ever been electrocuted playing night disc golf during the day. Not one.

DaFace 06-16-2013 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9756226)
No person has ever been electrocuted playing night disc golf during the day. Not one.

Touché.

Rain Man 06-16-2013 09:11 PM

I've never encountered a person being electrocuted, and I think the rule is that you try to push them off with a stick or other wooden thing, but I've always wondered why you don't get a running start and nail them with a flying tackle. It seems like that would knock the person off better than trying to push them with a stick.

TribalElder 06-16-2013 09:17 PM

Flying tackle is a good idea unless it fails and you end up getting zapped too

Saul Good 06-16-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9756149)
It was definitely reported, we had a very large tournament running this weekend and the power line came down during a rain delay. The round was then postponed and eventually cancelled, the downed power line being the main reason.

I'm surprised he didn't know about it. Seems like he was big on current events.

Demonpenz 06-16-2013 09:37 PM

he found out watts up

007 06-16-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 9756174)

I know what it is. I'm questioning the reporter calling disc golf a damn frisbee tournament.

Titty Meat 06-16-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9756053)

Same here. Sad indeed.

Strongside 06-16-2013 11:05 PM

I didn't know this guy very well but he tailgated with our group last year a few times and was a good friend of friends of mine. Same age as me, and I play at Rosedale regularly. So sad.

Dante84 06-16-2013 11:23 PM

I guess he was tangled pretty good in the wire, and his friend kept trying to pull him free and would get electrocuted as well. Time and time again, and couldn't do a thing.

I can't imagine being in that situation, feeling so helpless as your best friend is dying.

Really sad story and a freak accident.

mikey23545 06-17-2013 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 9756460)
I guess he was tangled pretty good in the wire, and his friend kept trying to pull him free and would get electrocuted as well. Time and time again, and couldn't do a thing.

I can't imagine being in that situation, feeling so helpless as your best friend is dying.

Really sad story and a freak accident.

Damn...that is tragic...

2bikemike 06-17-2013 02:15 AM

I grew up right next to the park on 42nd ave. The houses across the street backed up to the park. I played frisbee golf there when they first put the course in back in the mid 80's

BigCatDaddy 06-17-2013 06:41 AM

Crocs.. saving lives since 2002.

frankotank 06-17-2013 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9756076)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 9756226)

well.....TECHNICALLY.....if the definition of night disc golf = bolded above.....then there is the mathematical possibility of this having happened sometime...somewhere. :D

frankotank 06-17-2013 08:29 AM

they said on the news that his friend tried a couple times to free him from the line but he got shocked as well. so I couldn't help but wonder.....
now keep in mind...I'm scared shitless of electricity and I don't know much about it. I don't like messing with ANYTHING to do with it. had a few bad experiences and now I'm like....**** it....call someone.
so....I'm wondering.....I would THINK that if the dude got a running start and slammed into the dude who was being shocked, that he could have feasibly knocked him off of the power line and stopped the electrocution?
wouldn't it work like that?

Fish 06-17-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9756639)
they said on the news that his friend tried a couple times to free him from the line but he got shocked as well. so I couldn't help but wonder.....
now keep in mind...I'm scared shitless of electricity and I don't know much about it. I don't like messing with ANYTHING to do with it. had a few bad experiences and now I'm like....**** it....call someone.
so....I'm wondering.....I would THINK that if the dude got a running start and slammed into the dude who was being shocked, that he could have feasibly knocked him off of the power line and stopped the electrocution?
wouldn't it work like that?

How would you slam into a dude who is laying on the ground?

blaise 06-17-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9756647)

Seen Rodney Harrison do that a few times.

BlackHelicopters 06-17-2013 08:41 AM

Sad

Valiant 06-17-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

I have clicked the wrong links a few times before streaming sites. You donot want to know. It is a shocking and disgusting thing.

Fish 06-17-2013 08:46 AM

Technically, the park and course are closed at midnight, and you can get a ticket for trespassing if you're caught there after hours. And the cop that patrols that park is a colossal asshole. I'm surprised they didn't get caught before something happened.

Sad deal during an otherwise awesome tournament....

frankotank 06-17-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

OK...good point. they said he stepped on it...and if he did he would have immediately been all...UNNNGGGGGHHH! so he COULD have been standing.

so...lets assume he WAS standing.
COULD you run and launch into him and knock him off the line?

Fish 06-17-2013 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9756686)
OK...good point. they said he stepped on it...and if he did he would have immediately been all...UNNNGGGGGHHH! so he COULD have been standing.

so...lets assume he WAS standing.
COULD you run and launch into him and knock him off the line?

Well yeah, if he were standing. But that's highly unlikely. Think of the taser videos you've seen.... Electrocution causes the muscles to contract hardcore. It would be impossible to stand while being electrocuted.

And there was likely water on the ground as well. So you wouldn't be able to get very close. And in that case, you're talking about an area of the ground, and not just direct contact with the actual line.

Dante84 06-17-2013 09:25 AM

The story is that he tripped onto the wire.... so he was on the ground.

BigCatDaddy 06-17-2013 09:34 AM

That's an interesting hazard this game has. I wonder if the PGA will look into adding the same thing. It may actually liven the game up enough to make me watch.

frankotank 06-17-2013 09:36 AM

OK...lets say....hypothetically....someone is getting blasted with current and they are standing. if you plow into them....will you stick and die too....or will your momentum possibly knock the person free.
it seems so outlandish to think that a big bubba like myself wouldn't be able to dislodge someone in that state. but I've got someone here at work saying that if the current is powerful enough...you may just stick to the guy. ESPECIALLY if you're not airborne at the moment of contact. I'm think that even if I had a foot on the ground still...running at full speed....momentum is not just gonna disappear. right?

http://memecrunch.com/meme/FPO2/yeah-science/image.png

DaFace 06-17-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9756728)
OK...lets say....hypothetically....someone is getting blasted with current and they are standing. if you plow into them....will you stick and die too....or will your momentum possibly knock the person free.
it seems so outlandish to think that a big bubba like myself wouldn't be able to dislodge someone in that state. but I've got someone here at work saying that if the current is powerful enough...you may just stick to the guy. ESPECIALLY if you're not airborne at the moment of contact. I'm think that even if I had a foot on the ground still...running at full speed....momentum is not just gonna disappear. right?

I don't believe that you truly "stick" to the source of the current - the reason we have that perception is that the current causes all of your muscles to contract, so if you're grabbing onto an electrical line, your arm muscles contract and form an iron grip that's tough to break.

So basically, if you had momentum going with you when you dove into the guy, there's no reason you'd get stuck. However, if you DIDN'T manage to get him off of the line and landed either still touching him or in another area where the current is (pool of water or similar), you could still be in deep trouble.

frankotank 06-17-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9756737)
I don't believe that you truly "stick" to the source of the current - the reason we have that perception is that the current causes all of your muscles to contract, so if you're grabbing onto an electrical line, your arm muscles contract and form an iron grip that's tough to break.

So basically, if you had momentum going with you when you dove into the guy, there's no reason you'd get stuck. However, if you DIDN'T manage to get him off of the line and landed either still touching him or in another area where the current is (pool of water or similar), you could still be in deep trouble.

yeah...THIS makes logical sense to me.
so don't launch yourself into someone being electrocuted unless you're willing to possibly die for them.

kepp 06-17-2013 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman (Post 9756078)

A live power line down in a park and it didn't get fixed immediately? Holy cow...heads should roll.

Skyy God 06-17-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 9756104)
If this particular one had been reported and wasn't fixed, the city could have a pretty expensive lawsuit on its hands.

This. They need to consult a lawyer ASAP.