ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life I won my secret internal battle. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=274420)

bogey 07-10-2013 11:07 AM

I won my secret internal battle.

I stopped smoking on April 8th 2013, I stopped drinking on July 8th 2013. I have been having secret internal battles with myself for many, many years. I came clean to my wife last night about my drinking problem. My secret internal battles are no longer a secret. I wish I could fast forward 6 months to prove to my wife and myself that I'm sincere. This is a GOOD ****ING DAY. I wanted to post this on here because this is my version of shouting out to the world, and none of you good people know me. Ya'll have a good day, ya hear? Way to go ME!

Bugeater 07-10-2013 11:08 AM

I know you, you're bogey, formerly known as bogie.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:10 AM

good deal dude!

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 11:11 AM

you FTW

(it's okay to grow out of habits)

rageeumr 07-10-2013 11:14 AM

Maybe this question is too personal, but how bad could your drinking problem have been if your wife didn't even know about it?

Predarat 07-10-2013 11:15 AM

Well done, awesome job! You tell 'em your coming, and Hells coming with you!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ynKoZD-sFi4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tooge 07-10-2013 11:18 AM

Good for you man. How bad was the drinking problem? Your wife didn't say anything?

bogey 07-10-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rageeumr (Post 9803053)
Maybe this question is too personal, but how bad could your drinking problem have been if your wife didn't even know about it?

very bad, stashed bottles (gin) all over the place, nurse a beer all night and week-ends to cover the smell. start drinking on my drive in to work, drink at lunch and on my drive home.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bugeater (Post 9803045)
I know you, you're bogey, formerly known as bogie.

yep that's me. :)

aturnis 07-10-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803041)
I stopped smoking on April 8th 2013, I stopped drinking on July 8th 2013. I have been having secret internal battles with myself for many, many years. I came clean to my wife last night about my drinking problem. My secret internal battles are no longer a secret. I wish I could fast forward 6 months to prove to my wife and myself that I'm sincere. This is a GOOD ****ING DAY. I wanted to post this on here because this is my version of shouting out to the world, and none of you good people know me. Ya'll have a good day, ya hear? Way to go ME!

Coming out of the closet is a big deal man. Congrats!

Just kidding. Good job and good luck.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:22 AM

I've done a LOT better. Used to drink basically every day after work/beer etc.
got to where I might only have beers on 1 or 2 nights a week.

I'd like to stop altogether with the exception of cookouts, games etc.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9803050)
you FTW

I have a very addictive personality. It's gotta be quick and cold turkey for me.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:25 AM

my problem is binge drinking when I do drink.
can't just have 1 or 2.

I'm going to work on that next.

tooge 07-10-2013 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803067)
very bad, stashed bottles (gin) all over the place, nurse a beer all night and week-ends to cover the smell. start drinking on my drive in to work, drink at lunch and on my drive home.

Damn man. Not wanting to be Debbie Downer, but you haven't won yet. Sounds like it'll be a tough row to hoe to really kick the alcohol. Good on you for fessing up to the wife though. That should help. Best wishes to you.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803076)
I've done a LOT better. Used to drink basically every day after work/beer etc.
got to where I might only have beers on 1 or 2 nights a week.

I'd like to stop altogether with the exception of cookouts, games etc.

If I could have a cigarette once in a while and a drink on special occasions I would. Unfortunately, I can't. It's the cookouts, football and nice dinners and drinks with friends that I'll miss. Funny this is, I will still have cookouts, football and nice dinners with friends. Just no booze.

Rasputin 07-10-2013 11:27 AM

Good job admitting you have a problem. :thumb:

It's only the beginning, things will turn out great but remember take it one day at a time and don't skip to 6 months. Time will be on your side if you keep true to yourself.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803092)
If I could have a cigarette once in a while and a drink on special occasions I would. Unfortunately, I can't. It's the cookouts, football and nice dinners and drinks with friends that I'll miss. Funny this is, I will still have cookouts, football and nice dinners with friends. Just no booze.

same here. Though I did go to a memorial day cookout without bringing any booze or consuming any. It's tough for sure.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803087)
can't just have 1 or 2.

Me too. All day binge drinking. I'm lucky I still have a job. I'm quite sure people could smell it on me. Lots of gum and altoids. Wow! Keeping the secret wore me the f out.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aturnis (Post 9803073)
Coming out of the closet is a big deal man. Congrats!

Just kidding. Good job and good luck.

I think it's very important to come out of the closet. I know longer want to have the private internal battles. Now I have friends to cheer me on and route for me. Feel goooood to be out of the closet.

BlackHelicopters 07-10-2013 11:33 AM

Best wishes!

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:34 AM

subscribe to this thread and post when/if you get the urge for a drink. might help?

bogey 07-10-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 9803088)
Damn man. Not wanting to be Debbie Downer, but you haven't won yet. Sounds like it'll be a tough row to hoe to really kick the alcohol. Good on you for fessing up to the wife though. That should help. Best wishes to you.

Today... I'm a winner! Right now I can say with all sincerity that I will never drink again, and it make me giddy :clap: Tomorrow I will congratulate myself on what I did yesterday and so on, and so on.

aturnis 07-10-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803087)
can't just have 1 or 2.

Same here, but for different reasons.

If I only have 1 or 2, I typically end up with a terrible headache within the hour. So for me, Binge drinking is the only way to go, which is fine, b/c I drink much much less than I used to, like 8 times a year since I had my son who is 2.5.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9803093)
Good job admitting you have a problem. :thumb:

It's only the beginning, things will turn out great but remember take it one day at a time and don't skip to 6 months. Time will be on your side if you keep true to yourself.

Thank you so much!

listopencil 07-10-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803119)
Today... I'm a winner! Right now I can say with all sincerity that I will never drink again, and it make me giddy :clap: Tomorrow I will congratulate myself on what I did yesterday and so on, and so on.

Keep it up, bud. You're right. You are a winner.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803115)
subscribe to this thread and post when/if you get the urge for a drink. might help?

Absolutely and I appreciate your interest.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:39 AM

shit I might need to post in here too lol.

I did do a stint of about 4 months sober. One thing that did help me a little was volunteering to be the DD when going out. Sort of gave me incentive not to, and felt good knowing everyone was going to get home safe if they needed it.

sounds like you've got all the motivation you need.

lcarus 07-10-2013 11:40 AM

Quote:

I know how that is. That's why it's so hard for me to quit smoking. My brain always tricks me into thinking "Just have one! It'll be ok if you just have one!" but if you have one, it turns into two, then you buy a pack thinking you can keep it around to smoke a cig every once in a while. Then you suck down the whole pack and are back to square one. It sucks.

Predarat 07-10-2013 11:40 AM

Just wait until the season starts.

Halfcan 07-10-2013 11:41 AM

Great job. It is nice to see someone stepping up, admitting they have a problem and working to overcome it. Most just blame others for why they are messed up and never do get things straightened out.

Best of luck to you!!

Donger 07-10-2013 11:41 AM

Quote:

Wow, I can't imagine actually wanting to drink alcohol in the morning, let alone actually doing it.

Best of luck with your fight.

Rasputin 07-10-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803119)

That is all good intentions but no way can you proclaim this to be true. Say stay sober today and get through the day. Celebrate each day you stay sober but don't put pressure on yourself for the rest of your life. It only sets you up for a fall.

If I said I'd never drink again I'd be a liar. I haven't drank from October 4 2009 & am thankful for my sobriety, but it's all been one day at a time.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803132)

I did do a stint of about 4 months sober. One thing that did help me a little was volunteering to be the DD when going out. Sort of gave me incentive not to, and felt good knowing everyone was going to get home safe if they needed it.

That's a great idea!!

bogey 07-10-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 9803134)
I know how that is. That's why it's so hard for me to quit smoking. My brain always tricks me into thinking "Just have one! It'll be ok if you just have one!" but if you have one, it turns into two, then you buy a pack thinking you can keep it around to smoke a cig every once in a while. Then you suck down the whole pack and are back to square one. It sucks.

yep. I think for me it's the same with alcohol.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 9803136)
Just wait until the season starts.

If I can get through a season of Chiefs without drinking, I'm home free!

Rasputin 07-10-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 9803132)

Kind of a good idea if the spirit is strong & good will. Yet if you hang out at a barber shop long enough you will eventually get a haircut. AmIright?

Mr_Tomahawk 07-10-2013 11:50 AM

I have a similar internal battle with Tyler Bray.

Dayze 07-10-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9803155)
Kind of a good idea if the spirit is strong & good will. Yet if you hang out at a barber shop long enough you will eventually get a haircut. AmIright?

yeah. I was tough a few times. but after a couple nights out, it wasn't 'as' bad.

Mojo Jojo 07-10-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

I had a drinking problem too. I went cold turkey...because iy was the only way for me. I find now at cookouts, games or nice dinners I don't miss it. The only time I do is when there is a lot of stress. Good luck to you man..it's not easy, but can be done.

bogey 07-10-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 9803137)
Great job. It is nice to see someone stepping up, admitting they have a problem and working to overcome it. Most just blame others for why they are messed up and never do get things straightened out.

Best of luck to you!!

While I was having "the talk" with my wife, I made it very clear that there was no one to blame except myself. She had so many questions like, "do you think this is why you would get so angry" or "do you think this made you check out of our family?" etc

bogey 07-10-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 9803139)
Wow, I can't imagine actually wanting to drink alcohol in the morning, let alone actually doing it.

Best of luck with your fight.

That first morning buzz was the best of the day, just like the first cigarette of the day.

Superbowltrashcan 07-10-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803162)
While I was having "the talk" with my wife, I made it very clear that there was no one to blame except myself. She had so many questions like, "do you think this is why you would get so angry" or "do you think this made you check out of our family?" etc

Have you considered doing something special for the two of you with the money you will be saving not smoking and drinking? Perhaps a family vacation? Something doable quickly. Maybe paying off any lingering bills? My brother did this for a while at the start and it really made him feel a sense of accomplishment when he knocked out a couple revolving credits and then took a weekend trip with the Mrs.

It has been about ten years and I think now it is a Christmas Club type account.

houstonwhodat 07-10-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

How many DWI's do you have?

Superbowltrashcan 07-10-2013 12:05 PM

Even ten years ago as a pack and a half a day smoker and a two cases a week drinker he was looking at over $200 a month...

frankotank 07-10-2013 12:08 PM

wow! good luck man.

I too quit drinking on July 8th! I'm on a cleansing thing with my wife and it requires no alcohol for 24 days. I don't know if I can do it. I don't think I'm an alchy...but damn man....24 days! and you are going for life. I salute you dude!

as others have stated....I almost never have 1 or 3...UNLESS they are of very high ABV. to me it seem a waste of calories if you ain't gonna get that little buzz. and really....why do you drink? for the buzz...right? so I'm an all or nothing. gimmee 0 or gimme 6.

24 days. I don't know man. I like me some beer. **** I don't do drugs (anymore :D)...so can't a brutha get some booze buzz every once in a while?

man I'm tripping on 24 days....you're gong for life.....maybe I DO have a problem....

Buehler445 07-10-2013 12:09 PM

Best of luck bud. Stay strong.

bogey 07-10-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by houstonwhodat (Post 9803180)
How many DWI's do you have?

Good question... 0.0

bogey 07-10-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9803190)
wow! good luck man.

I too quit drinking on July 8th! I'm on a cleansing thing with my wife and it requires no alcohol for 24 days. I don't know if I can do it. I don't think I'm an alchy...but damn man....24 days! and you are going for life. I salute you dude!

as others have stated....I almost never have 1 or 3...UNLESS they are of very high ABV. to me it seem a waste of calories if you ain't gonna get that little buzz. and really....why do you drink? for the buzz...right? so I'm an all or nothing. gimmee 0 or gimme 6.

24 days. I don't know man. I like me some beer. **** I don't do drugs (anymore :D)...so can't a brutha get some booze buzz every once in a while?

man I'm tripping on 24 days....you're gong for life.....maybe I DO have a problem....

I am convinced that I am an alcoholic. My Grandmother was, my Mother is, my brother is, a couple of my cousins are. It's gotta be all or nothing for me.

AussieChiefsFan 07-10-2013 12:36 PM

Good luck man. Stay strong.

scho63 07-10-2013 01:28 PM

Coming off alcohol is neither easy or fun.

You may need some doctor's help because cold turkey with as much as you are drinking is going to do all kinds of crazy shit to your system. The body does not like alcohol detox and it's the only detox withdrawl that can kill you, so be careful handling this on your own.

Good luck and much success!

Mr. Flopnuts 07-10-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

I've recently stopped drinking because I feared it was coming to the point you're at, and leaving. Good job! Go us!

KCUnited 07-10-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

:eek:

bogey 07-10-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 9803367)
Coming off alcohol is neither easy or fun.

You may need some doctor's help because cold turkey with as much as you are drinking is going to do all kinds of crazy shit to your system. The body does not like alcohol detox and it's the only detox withdrawl that can kill you, so be careful handling this on your own.

Good luck and much success!

Thanks

bogey 07-10-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 9803371)
I've recently stopped drinking because I feared it was coming to the point you're at, and leaving. Good job! Go us!

Congrats! Go us indeed!

Rasputin 07-10-2013 02:11 PM

Don't even bother drinking N/A Beer or drinks that claim no alcohol. All that does is set you up for big time fail & go back to drinking. That was my experience with it to try to please the wife that I was serious to quit drinking. You crave alcohol not because you want it but because you must.

Alcohol is the biggest lie, it makes white people think they can dance.

Ming the Merciless 07-10-2013 02:12 PM

cool man!

bogey 07-10-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 9803457)
Don't even bother drinking N/A Beer or drinks that claim no alcohol. All that does is set you up for big time fail & go back to drinking. That was my experience with it to try to please the wife that I was serious to quit drinking. You crave alcohol not because you want it but because you must.

Alcohol is the biggest lie, it makes white people think they can dance.

But I CAN dance. :)

Ace Gunner 07-10-2013 02:21 PM

I call alcohol "the superman drug" because it turns folks into super ________

Fat Elvis 07-10-2013 02:33 PM

I wish you the best of luck; having alcoholics in the family, I can tell you it is a bitch.

Rasputin 07-10-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803475)
But I CAN dance. :)

I'm sure you can I believe you..

:D

bogey 07-10-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 9803520)
I wish you the best of luck; having alcoholics in the family, I can tell you it is a bitch.

Thank you sir. Yep, my family has generations of folks with very addictive personalities.

Fish 07-10-2013 02:43 PM

I have a drinking problem, but I'm able to control it enough that I've never felt like doing anything about it. Good for you for taking that step and addressing it. Especially if it was causing problems with the family. I hope you stick with it. Best of luck.

bogey 07-10-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9803546)
I have a drinking problem, but I'm able to control it enough that I've never felt like doing anything about it. Good for you for taking that step and addressing it. Especially if it was causing problems with the family. I hope you stick with it. Best of luck.

Thank you. Yes, my two most important reasons for quitting are family and health.

teedubya 07-10-2013 02:56 PM

Maybe this will inspire me to stop banging hot Korean hookers? LOL

houstonwhodat 07-10-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankotank (Post 9803190)
wow! good luck man.

How are you cleansing?

BigRedChief 07-10-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bogey (Post 9803206)
I am convinced that I am an alcoholic. My Grandmother was, my Mother is, my brother is, a couple of my cousins are. It's gotta be all or nothing for me.

My Dad was an alcholic. Drank a case of beer a day for 25+ years. I drank like a fish for 10 years. I stopped getting drunk all the time. Drink when I want to drink. Don't get drunk now. I don't understand this one drink and your a drunk again all the time.

BigRedChief 07-10-2013 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 9803567)
Maybe this will inspire me to stop banging hot Korean hookers? LOL

You need to save your money for housing in California anyway.

Brock 07-10-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9803846)
My Dad was an alcholic. Drank a case of beer a day for 25+ years. I drank like a fish for 10 years. I stopped getting drunk all the time. Drink when I want to drink. Don't get drunk now. I don't understand this one drink and your a drunk again all the time.

What? A subject you're not an expert in?

bogey 07-10-2013 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 9803846)

I'm just speaking for myself. I'm not very good at disciplining myself. I need to stop completely or I won't be able to have control. Goofy as that sounds.

Psyko Tek 07-10-2013 05:24 PM

some how I read that as secretly internet battle

was hoping for a styore of humiliation and cold, cold revenge served up onna message board

but congrats anyway, great accomplishments

Deberg_1990 07-10-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 9803546)

Is it a problem if your able to control it?

bogey 07-10-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psyko Tek (Post 9803864)
some how I read that as secretly internet battle

was hoping for a styore of humiliation and cold, cold revenge served up onna message board

but congrats anyway, great accomplishments

Ha! No I look at this demon face to face in the every morning.

Phobia 07-10-2013 05:27 PM

Congrats. Very impressive. I've never struggled with drinking. I used to play softball completely sober. I couldn't understand how people could compete while drinking. Then I got on a team of drinkers and I'm finding that I drink heavily when I go to the park even when I play with other teams. I need to remedy this before it becomes a problem.

Brock 07-10-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9803870)

Why would a non-problem need controlled?

Fish 07-10-2013 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 9803870)

Yes. When control necessitates avoiding certain situations because of it. I'm limiting what I do because some things I can't do without overdoing it.

Brianfo 07-10-2013 06:28 PM

Congrats dude. I have the same personality and the same habits as you. Minus the smoking. Just like to drink way too much. I am a functioning alcoholic, but there will come a day when I will just quit. That's how I roll.

Bwana 07-10-2013 06:30 PM

Good for you dude, stay strong.

WilliamTheIrish 07-10-2013 06:47 PM

Good luck to you bogey.

I'm 24 years clean and sober. I still owe my life to the guy who took me to my first meeting.

For me "sick and tired of being sick and tired" led me to turn it around.

And before anybody asks: DUI's: 0

Simply Red 07-10-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzz_TinBalls (Post 9803050)
you FTW

I think it's a little more than a habit bro - no offense.

Simply Red 07-10-2013 06:52 PM

Bogey - first of all it's great to see you post - second; if I can ever offer you individual accountability - feel free to PM at any time. I'll respond ASAP - I know how the road is - and honestly - it's not hard (at least for me)

You're speaking as if it's in your past - that's a good start. So you were closet drinking - I used to do that as well.

Others on CP'ers need to look into this - at last count roughly 27% of CP'ers have at least 'somewhat' of a drinking problem.

There's nothing like being sober all of the time and aware. It's irreplaceable. Your liver will thank you!

Next try to improve your diet.

Congrats Bogey, I've been off of alcohol for approaching four years now.