ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals DON'T fire Ned Yost (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=276552)

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:22 PM

DON'T fire Ned Yost

Ned made a great decision in the bottom of the 10th inning today. If Ned hadn't had Getz pinch run for Billy, the inning would have been over before Justin Maxwell ever came to the plate.

Everybody hates Ned and wants him to be fired. I don't. He sometimes makes game-time decisions that are easy to second-guess, but you've got to give him credit: the Royals have just about the best clubhouse atmosphere and team camraderie of any team I've ever seen. Ned deserves a hell of a lot of credit for that.

Not only do I think Ned won't be fired, I'm convinced he shouldn't be fired.

Edit: I was drunk with the euphoria of Justin Maxwell's walkoff grand slam when I created this thread. I have since sobered up.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-22-2013 03:23 PM

Uh, one no-brainer decision does not make up for the hundreds of horrendous decisions he's made throughout the year.

lewdog 09-22-2013 03:23 PM

So this is the NEG rep thread?

KCUnited 09-22-2013 03:23 PM

**** you and your paragraphs.

GloryDayz 09-22-2013 03:24 PM

This thread should be deleted and the hard drives crushed and burned!

Dartgod 09-22-2013 03:24 PM

I fear this isn't going to end well for you.

KChiefs1 09-22-2013 03:24 PM

Screw you dude!

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2013 03:25 PM

:popcorn:

Deberg_1990 09-22-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10008197)
Ned made a great decision in the bottom of the 10th inning today. If Ned hadn't had Getz pinch run for Billy, the inning would have been over before Justin Maxwell ever came to the plate.

Everybody hates Ned and wants him to be fired. I don't. He sometimes makes game-time decisions that are easy to second-guess, but you've got to give him credit: the Royals have just about the best clubhouse atmosphere and team camraderie of any team I've ever seen. Ned deserves a hell of a lot of credit for that.

8-20 May

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10008203)
Uh, one no-brainer decision does not make up for the hundreds of horrendous decisions he's made throughout the year.

I'm not saying Yost is a tactical genius. He's obviously not. But like I said, you've GOT to give him credit for the way this team has pulled together and put on a playoff run.

They could have easily quit after they went 4-19 during that horrendous stretch in May, and they could have easily quit after they lost 7 in a row in August. They didn't.

If they fired Ned Yost, who are you going to replace him with who would be better?

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 10008204)
So this is the NEG rep thread?

I'm almost afraid to look.

TribalElder 09-22-2013 03:29 PM

http://cdn2.holytaco.com/wp-content/...-reerun-It.jpg

ROFL

duncan_idaho 09-22-2013 03:32 PM

Every manager in baseball except perhaps Jim Leyland makes that same sub.

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10008233)
8-20 May

True, but neg. just kidding.

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10008208)
**** you and your paragraphs.

Just pretend it's a big wall of text.

Pablo 09-22-2013 03:34 PM

**** you. What the **** kind of shitty thread is this?

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:34 PM

I feel like I'm Direckshun right now.

Chiefspants 09-22-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10008234)
I'm not saying Yost is a tactical genius. He's obviously not. But like I said, you've GOT to give him credit for the way this team has pulled together and put on a playoff run.

They could have easily quit after they went 4-19 during that horrendous stretch in May, and they could have easily quit after they lost 7 in a row in August. They didn't.

If they fired Ned Yost, who are you going to replace him with who would be better?

If we have a chance to pull Charlie Manuel, you pull the trigger without ever looking back.

Ned's decisions unquestionably led us to a loss in two or perhaps three critical games down the stretch. He's a small ball overmanager who has no business overseeing a contender.

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10008265)
Every manager in baseball except perhaps Jim Leyland makes that same sub.

Agreed.

Leyland looked like an idiot when he didn't.

Pablo 09-22-2013 03:35 PM

Maverick makes better threads than this.

-King- 09-22-2013 03:35 PM

You don't even need to be start to make that decision. Billy running the bases in that situation is a double play liability. That's the reason he was walked. He wasn't walked because they fear him, but because he's slow and would be an easy DP candidate almost regardless of where the ball is hit.

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10008282)
Maverick makes better threads than this.

ROFL LMAO

KCUnited 09-22-2013 03:37 PM

Trivers thinks this thread sucks.

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10008277)
If we have a chance to pull Charlie Manuel, you pull the trigger without ever looking back.

Ned's decisions unquestionably led us to a loss in two or perhaps three critical games down the stretch. He's a small ball overmanager who has no business overseeing a contender.

OK, I'll give you Charlie Manuel.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-22-2013 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10008234)

I give Ned no credit whatsoever for the success of this team. He has been directly responsible for a multitude of losses which have put this team in a much tighter spot than they really should be. Examples:

A) Letting Wade Davies stay in the starting rotation until August.
B) Repeatedly batting Chris Getz leadoff despite his .250 OBP or whatever.
C) Atrocious mismanagement of the bullpen all year long - most importantly, not letting Louis Coleman pitch in high-pressure situations, and instead letting proven losers like Crow, Herrera, and Davies pitch in those situations.
D) Repeatedly leaving starters in too long. For example, blowing the game against Detroit last Sunday by trotting out Guthrie for the 8th inning when he was already over 100 pitches and had given up 12 hits.
E) Choking away the huge game against Cleveland last Tuesday - wasting Ventura's great start. Coleman, in a rare appearance in a pressure situation, gets a bases-loaded strikeout to get out of a jam. Yost promptly pulls him the next inning, allowing the usual suspects (Herrera and Davies) to blow the lead.
F) Having Carlos Pena pinch hit for Jarrod Dyson in a huge situation with the season on the line.
G) Calls sacrifice bunts like it's 1920.

I could go on and on. This is just off the top of my head.

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10008295)
I give Ned no credit whatsoever for the success of this team. He has been directly responsible for a multitude of losses which have put this team in a much tighter spot than they really should be. Examples:

A) Letting Wade Davies stay in the starting rotation until August.
B) Repeatedly batting Chris Getz leadoff despite his .250 OBP or whatever.
C) Atrocious mismanagement of the bullpen all year long - most importantly, not letting Louis Coleman pitch in high-pressure situations, and instead letting proven losers like Crow, Herrera, and Davies pitch in those situations.
D) Repeatedly leaving starters in too long. For example, blowing the game against Detroit last Sunday by trotting out Guthrie for the 8th inning when he was already over 100 pitches and had given up 12 hits.
E) Choking away the huge game against Cleveland last Tuesday - wasting Ventura's great start. Coleman, in a rare appearance in a pressure situation, gets a bases-loaded strikeout to get out of a jam. Yost promptly pulls him the next inning, allowing the usual suspects (Herrera and Davies) to blow the lead.
F) Having Carlos Pena pinch hit for Jarrod Dyson in a huge situation with the season on the line.
G) Calls sacrifice bunts like it's 1920.

I could go on and on. This is just off the top of my head.

You forgot about the game where Shields was pitching a 2-hit shutout and leading 1-0 after 8 innings. Yost put Holland in and Holland promptly blew the save.

I can't really argue with any of the points you raised. Ned's blunders can be infuriating.

Mama Hip Rockets 09-22-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10008300)
You forgot about the game where Shields was pitching a 2-hit shutout and leading 1-0 after 8 innings. Yost put Holland in and Holland promptly blew the save.

I can't really argue with any of the points you raised. Ned's blunders can be infuriating.

LOL. Then why did you start this thread?

Sure-Oz 09-22-2013 03:44 PM

Quote:

Stop it.

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2013 03:45 PM

This is great.

tk13 09-22-2013 03:47 PM

I will say I don't think that PR substitution was a gimme. Getz' run didn't matter, and if the Royals fail to score you've lost your cleanup hitter the rest of the game over a meaningless substitution. Ned would've probably been criticized for that.

KCUnited 09-22-2013 03:47 PM

This thread is more awkward than Brad Nessler saying Shady McCoy.

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10008277)

Of course, the problem with Charlie Manuel is that he's pushing 70 years old and he's already had a heart attack, quadruple bypass surgery, a blocked and infected colon, and kidney cancer. I don't think he'd be the right choice for a young team because he might not be around very long.

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2013 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10008320)
This thread is more awkward than Brad Nessler saying Shady McCoy.

Jon Gruden thinks this thread is outstanding.

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10008318)
I will say I don't think that PR substitution was a gimme. Getz' run didn't matter, and if the Royals fail to score you've lost your cleanup hitter the rest of the game over a meaningless substitution. Ned would've probably been criticized for that.

That's exactly right. If the game had gone several more innings and the DH spot came up again with Butler out of the game, people would have been screaming about his idiocy.

boogblaster 09-22-2013 03:49 PM

thought he did a decent job this year .. cant call every move right .....

Pasta Little Brioni 09-22-2013 03:58 PM

All baseball fans hate their manager ROFL it is hilarious listening to the whining all year

stonedstooge 09-22-2013 04:03 PM

Got a pitching staff that was tied for lowest ERA in the American League and still having trouble making the playoffs in a year they added one team to the playoffs. Thanks Ned!

teedubya 09-22-2013 04:19 PM

Brainiac? More like Dumbassiac.

Pablo 09-22-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10008359)
All baseball fans hate their manager ROFL it is hilarious listening to the whining all year

You're a Cards fan.

You know nothing of Ned Yost and the Royals.

Shut it.

tredadda 09-22-2013 04:20 PM

Quote:

Remember when we could have swept Cleveland? I do, but unfortunately Yost felt the best two pitchers to use when holding a lead were Herrera and Davis, possibly our two worst pitchers. No he needs to be fired as an even competent manager would have us already locked in for a WC spot and not needing a miracle to make it. Sadly though we will finish over .500 this year and still have a shot at the WC so he will come back. Lucky us.

WhawhaWhat 09-22-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thurman merman (Post 10008295)

The bullpen ERA is one of the best of the live ball era. You may not agree with his decisions but using it as a reason to fire him is stupid.

tredadda 09-22-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10008503)
The bullpen ERA is one of the best of the live ball era. You may not agree with his decisions but using it as a reason to fire him is stupid.

Not because of pitchers like Herrera.

Prison Bitch 09-22-2013 04:32 PM

The Yost discussions all year have made for some humorous game threads.

Prison Bitch 09-22-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 10008512)
Not because of pitchers like Herrera.

He banished Crow and that alone is proof he's not dumb

MTG#10 09-22-2013 04:35 PM

Please kill yourself

Chiefspants 09-22-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10008522)
He banished Crow and that alone is proof he's not dumb

Luckily Crow only had to serve up three walkoffs before Ned came to that realization.

kstater 09-22-2013 04:52 PM

Why was Kottaras put in in that situation today?

baitism 09-22-2013 04:53 PM

^^^^ get out of my brain

How about when he took out Cain, who actually hits well vs. righties, and puts in .179 hitting Kottaras? What a genius.

KCUnited 09-22-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstater (Post 10008626)
Why was Kottaras put in in that situation today?

2 walk off walks in 3 games happens.

ChiefsCountry 09-22-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PGM (Post 10008359)

Reading the Cardinal thread makes me back off on the Ned Yost hate. You guys bitch about Matheny and before that LaRussa the same shit that is said about Yost.

kstater 09-22-2013 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCUnited (Post 10008641)
2 walk off walks in 3 games happens.

Loaded basses one out...need to put one in the outfield...not Kottaras' strength

Mr. Laz 09-22-2013 05:03 PM

http://i26.tinypic.com/29krq8k.jpg

nychief 09-22-2013 05:04 PM

Fire him, hire Joe Girardi this offseason.

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 10008722)
Fire him, hire Joe Girardi this offseason.

Dick Howser redux? That would work.

Consistent1 09-22-2013 05:55 PM

I really don't put this year on him. Look at all the games where the pitching was ok, but nobody could hit worth a crap. And have still won a lot of games. We just need Cabrera and Trout.

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2013 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Consistent1 (Post 10009055)
I really don't put this year on him. Look at all the games where the pitching was ok, but nobody could hit worth a crap. And have still won a lot of games. We just need Cabrera and Trout.

Cabrera and Trout? How about the fillings from my teeth?

Consistent1 09-22-2013 06:08 PM

I've said it before, I think they should have gotten Dunn. Yes, he only hits like 250, but he is a risk every time he walks out. Sox wanted to get rid of him and he even starts talking about retirement. We could have used a few of his bombs.

tk13 09-22-2013 06:19 PM

It's funny because Dunn has been around forever but he's only 33. He always seems to be a fan favorite... although he hasn't even hit near .250 for like 4 years. He's more like a .200 hitter now. Wonder if he has another resurgence in him.

Other weird thing about him is he hits a ton of homers, but he has played 13 years and never made the playoffs once.

Infidel Goat 09-22-2013 06:19 PM

No need to fire him. Let him manage these last seven games. His contract is up at the end of the season.

FTLOG, though, do not offer him another contract...

Prison Bitch 09-22-2013 06:28 PM

Would be funny to see him win 85 for a small market team and let him go by tellin him it woulda been 95 if only for his bad managing. I bet we'd have a flood of applicants wanting to come work with us. A tsunami of the best in baseball

Consistent1 09-22-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 10009174)
It's funny because Dunn has been around forever but he's only 33. He always seems to be a fan favorite... although he hasn't even hit near .250 for like 4 years. He's more like a .200 hitter now. Wonder if he has another resurgence in him.

Other weird thing about him is he hits a ton of homers, but he has played 13 years and never made the playoffs once.

I know that. His career avg is 230 something, but he also has well over 400 homers.

Consistent1 09-22-2013 06:34 PM

They probably would not trade him to KC unless it was a stupid offer anyway.

Consistent1 09-22-2013 06:39 PM

And Dunn has over 1200 walks in his career. He is boom or bust, but he is fun to watch.

duncan_idaho 09-22-2013 07:03 PM

One more thing Ned Yost deserves blame for:

Let's not forget about his whining to Dayton Moore about needing hitting coaches who would teach guys to hit for more power... introducing the situation that led to the Jack Maloof/Andre David disaster.

I put a big portion of the blame for the May swoon on those buffoons screwing up almost the entire team's worth of hitters.

Yost has not cost the Royals 10 games overall or even probably 5 overall. But I feel comfortable saying he has cost them at least 2-3 over the course of the season (all things considered, good and bad), and that's likely to be the margin between playoff baseball and anxiously awaiting next year while trying to figure out how to convince Carlos Beltran to come "home" to end his career.

Prison Bitch 09-22-2013 07:08 PM

Adam Dunn is about the worst fit imaginable for this team. He can only play one spot where we already have an 8m payroll cancer occupying. Second, there is no second, there's no spot. And that's if he wasn't a fat slow aging no-care hanger on cashing his last paychecks

Lex Luthor 09-22-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10009202)
Would be funny to see him win 85 for a small market team and let him go by tellin him it woulda been 95 if only for his bad managing. I bet we'd have a flood of applicants wanting to come work with us. A tsunami of the best in baseball

And Yost would have no problem getting another job. Any rebuilding team with young players would jump at the chance to hire him.

That's what people forget. EVERY manager makes decisions that don't work out. Ned Yost is not a good tactical manager, but he is the best fit for this team right now because the players believe in him and they believe in each other.

the Talking Can 09-22-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 10008712)

don't care about the thread

just wanted to say that i'd hit that

dallaschiefsfan 09-22-2013 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brainiac (Post 10009551)
And Yost would have no problem getting another job. Any rebuilding team with young players would jump at the chance to hire him.

That's what people forget. EVERY manager makes decisions that don't work out. Ned Yost is not a good tactical manager, but he is the best fit for this team TWO YEARS AGO because the players believed in him and they believe in each other.

There. Fixed it.

T-post Tom 09-22-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 10008452)
still have a shot at the WC so he will come back. Lucky us.

So which team is most likely to falter: TB or Cleveland? Not sure I see either losing out with a 3.5 lead and only 7 games left. (And TX is still 2 ahead of the Royals.)

Silock 09-22-2013 08:27 PM

OP, I see where you're coming from, but you're just wrong on this.

Ned makes a few good decisions here and there, but they are the kinds of decisions that any competent manager should be able to make.

However, his bad decisions far outweigh the good ones. I can't ever remember a time where I went "Wow, what a great decision from Ned!" in a situation that wasn't totally obvious. A manager isn't going to win you many games with tactics. Maybe 3-4 over the season. But a bad manager can really, really cost you. We'd be solidly in the playoffs right now if it weren't for Ned.

tredadda 09-22-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 10009611)
So which team is most likely to falter: TB or Cleveland? Not sure I see either losing out with a 3.5 lead and only 7 games left. (And TX is still 2 ahead of the Royals.)

TB. Cleveland's schedule is so weak that they would have to implode to not make it. We still have a shot because we are not mathematically eliminated yet.

Prison Bitch 09-22-2013 08:51 PM

Ned sure did a great job after the break when we were left for dead. Something like .630 since. He will get some manager of year votes if we get past 85 wins

Mama Hip Rockets 09-22-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teedubya (Post 10008444)
Brainiac? More like Dumbassiac.

ROFL

Mama Hip Rockets 09-22-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10008503)

Yes, the bullpen ERA is great because of Holland, Hochevar, Chen, and the aforementioned, terribly-misused Coleman. Not because of Crow, Davies, and Herrera's performances in high-pressure situations. Pay attention.

Chiefspants 09-22-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10009766)
Ned sure did a great job after the break when we were left for dead. Something like .630 since. He will get some manager of year votes if we get past 85 wins

Francona (who has outclassed Ned head to head all year) should have that award in the bag.

Prison Bitch 09-22-2013 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 10009824)
Francona (who has outclassed Ned head to head all year) should have that award in the bag.

He was 10-9 vs Ned and was outscored 81-83. Yeah, totally outclassed him head to head. Good one.

WhawhaWhat 09-22-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 10009341)
Let's not forget about his whining to Dayton Moore about needing hitting coaches who would teach guys to hit for more power... introducing the situation that led to the Jack Maloof/Andre David disaster.

I still think the "more homeruns" thing came from ownership and Dayton and Ned had to be the face of it.

GloryDayz 09-23-2013 09:00 AM

And... F*** him for not bringing cheerleaders to the sport... Had he, I might have gone more!

Mama Hip Rockets 09-23-2013 11:34 PM

So...

Cephalic Trauma 09-23-2013 11:34 PM

Wade Davis, bitches.