ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Gerald McCoy says Bucs coaches got upset he helped opponents up off ground (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278169)

-King- 11-01-2013 12:23 AM

Gerald McCoy says Bucs coaches got upset he helped opponents up off ground

Gerald McCoy says Bucs coaches got upset he helped opponents up off ground
Posted by Curtis Crabtree on November 1, 2013, 2:00 AM EDT
Gerald McCoy AP

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers continue to strive to show how tough they are and how hard they play in all the wrong ways.

In addition to the continued insistence to play defense aggressively when within one score while a team in the victory formation, the Buccaneers coaching staff also apparently doesn’t like acts of sportsmanship toward opposing teams.

Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy said during a radio appearance Wednesday on the team’s flagship station, 620 WDAE-AM, that the team’s defensive line coaches (Randy Melvin and Bryan Cox) expressed anger toward McCoy for helping opposing players off the ground in games.

Despite their anger, McCoy isn’t listening on this subject.

“I had my D-line coaches get on to me the other day,” McCoy said, via JoeBucsFan.com. “Well, not get on to me, try to get on to me. There’s no way they’re going to get on to me for this. They got upset with me because I helped somebody up [in the game.] So what! I don’t care. Kiss my butt. Listen, if I want to help somebody, I’m going help somebody up. Because right on the next play I’m going to knock him down again. It doesn’t matter. It doesn’t matter.”

“That doesn’t change how hard I play. As long as in between the whistles I’m not helping anybody up, it doesn’t matter. So what if I help them off the ground? ‘Good job; we’re out here competing. But as soon as they snap the ball, I’m going to kill you again.’

“There’s nothing wrong with that. Everybody’s not like that. If you don’t want to be like that, keep it to yourself. I don’t care. I don’t go tell them, ‘Hey, you’re not doing this. You’re not doing that.’ I don’t care. Everybody does what they do. If I help somebody up, get over it. Get over it.”

McCoy believes the vitriol being shown toward head coach Greg Schiano for the team’s 0-7 start to the season is a bit overboard. However, the backlash from the coaches about helping opponents up could be another instance of the coaching staff not seeing the forest through the trees.

Ace Gunner 11-01-2013 12:25 AM

I get upset when I see that. I did make friends with players of other teams, but I never ever helped any player up off the ground except my teammates.

Dante84 11-01-2013 12:28 AM

Whatever. That's lame.

Hammock Parties 11-01-2013 12:30 AM

I think I hate Schiano more than Pioli, and I know 90 percent less about him.

007 11-01-2013 12:37 AM

what a stupid thing for the coaches to be upset about

AussieChiefsFan 11-01-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10146100)

Oh come on, it's not like they're winless or anything.

RippedmyFlesh 11-01-2013 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10146097)

They are the 2012 Chiefs. Horrific coaching yet talent on the roster.
Tampa needs their version of Andy Reid and they will bounce back next year.

007 11-01-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 10146101)
Oh come on, it's not like they're winless or anything.

Thats my point. The have more important things to worry about.

AussieChiefsFan 11-01-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10146104)
Thats my point. The have more important things to worry about.

I know, I trying to be funny. LMAO

007 11-01-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan (Post 10146105)
I know, I trying to be funny. LMAO

Try harder. :thumb:

DaneMcCloud 11-01-2013 12:46 AM

In this regard, he's right.

Coaches across the league preach the same thing.

Sassy Squatch 11-01-2013 02:40 AM

They preach bad sportsmanship?

BigMeatballDave 11-01-2013 03:42 AM

What a shit coaching staff.

LoneWolf 11-01-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ace Gunner (Post 10146092)
I get upset when I see that. I did make friends with players of other teams, but I never ever helped any player up off the ground except my teammates.

Nobody gives a shit that you were an asshole in high school.

007 11-01-2013 05:11 AM

You know, the only time that has ever bothered me is when a Chief helps up a Raider. But that was years ago. Now I don't mind it at all. Matter of fact, I like this guys outlook on it. Here, let me help you up so I can knock your ass down again.

wazu 11-01-2013 06:24 AM

I generally am against it just because I want the opposing player to be a little more tired.

WhiteWhale 11-01-2013 06:41 AM

JMO.

Football is a game of inches. Every ounce of energy you expend helping an opponent up is energy you don't have later in the game to knock them down.

People are calling this sportsmanship, and that's bullshit. It's not 'unsportsmanlike' to make someone pick themselves up off of the ground. One is not an 'asshole' for not doing so. It's competition.

LoneWolf 11-01-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10146175)
JMO.

Football is a game of inches. Every ounce of energy you expend helping an opponent up is energy you don't have later in the game to knock them down.

People are calling this sportsmanship, and that's bullshit. It's not 'unsportsmanlike' to make someone pick themselves up off of the ground. One is not an 'asshole' for not doing so. It's competition.

Nobody is saying that players should be required to help opposing players up. All that is being said is that nobody should get upset if a player chooses to help an opposing player up.

Do you not condone a player helping one of his own teammates up? Helping a teammate up expends the same amount of energy and that is energy that could be used to knock the opponent down on the next play.

dirk digler 11-01-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10146108)

Yep. IIRC In this past years Bengals Hard Knocks show I believe they fined players that helped the opposing players get up. Coaches openly talked about it on the show.

-King- 11-01-2013 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 10146108)

Not the good ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

cookster50 11-01-2013 06:57 AM

I get knocked down, but I get up again, never gonna keep me down.

-King- 11-01-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 10146186)
Yep. IIRC In this past years Bengals Hard Knocks show I believe they fined players that helped the opposing players get up. Coaches openly talked about it on the show.

I dont recall anything like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

WhiteWhale 11-01-2013 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 10146181)
Nobody is saying that players should be required to help opposing players up. All that is being said is that nobody should get upset if a player chooses to help an opposing player up.

Do you not condone a player helping one of his own teammates up? Helping a teammate up expends the same amount of energy and that is energy that could be used to knock the opponent down on the next play.

Look, it's an old school coaching philosophy. I can understand it. I don't get 'mad' when KC players help up the opposing team.

As for the bolded part, I honestly am hesitant to respond to it given the stupidity of the comment. Making a small sacrifice for the sake of someone trying to achieve the same goal as you is not the same as making that same small sacrifice for someone who is trying to take your goal away from you. It's competition. What a strange and empty question. It's a team sport... it's not all about individual success. Why would helping a team-mate equate to helping the opposition, even if it's a ridiculously small dose of help?

Saulbadguy 11-01-2013 07:00 AM

He should stomp on their ACL instead. High risk but high reward.

WhiteWhale 11-01-2013 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146188)
Not the good ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

LMAO

Only all of the great ones.

Damn that Lombardi... what a shitty coach!

-King- 11-01-2013 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10146197)
LMAO

Only all of the great ones.

Damn that Lombardi... what a shitty coach!

Nice. Bringing up a coach that coached 50 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

WhiteWhale 11-01-2013 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146201)
Nice. Bringing up a coach that coached 50 years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device

You're right.

I forgot that the nature of competition has changed and that winning is no longer the priority. Sportsmanship is. LMAO

When he coached is not relevant, and he's hardly alone.

I'm not condemning anyone. You're the one who flat out said all coaches who think like this are bad coaches... which is a factually inaccurate claim.

-King- 11-01-2013 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10146204)
You're right.

I forgot that the nature of competition has changed and that winning is no longer the priority. Sportsmanship is. LMAO

When he coached is not relevant, and he's hardly alone.

It is relevant. The game has changed. How players interact with each other has changed. The game isn't the same from 1995 to now. Acting like it is the same as in 1963 is silly. Players no longer "hate" each other like they did decades ago and teaching them not to help each other up is just dumb.
Posted via Mobile Device

dirk digler 11-01-2013 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146193)
I dont recall anything like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

I don't think I am imagining it. It seems to me the scene was they were reviewing game tape with a group of players and they showed where the Bengals player helped up the opposing player and the coach said you are getting a fine for that.

Dayze 11-01-2013 07:19 AM

our coaches used to tell us something to the effect of play angry whistle to whistle; between whistles, your opponent deserves your respect.

WhiteWhale 11-01-2013 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146212)
It is relevant. The game has changed. How players interact with each other has changed. The game isn't the same from 1995 to now. Acting like it is the same as in 1963 is silly. Players no longer "hate" each other like they did decades ago and teaching them not to help each other up is just dumb.
Posted via Mobile Device

Give me a reason why it is dumb.

I think it's dumb to throw a fit about it. I don't think it's dumb at all for a coach to encourage his players to take every competitive advantage they can get.

Give me a reason it's dumb other than baseless vague assertions.

Again, we're not talking about the changing of the GAME. We're talking about the nature of competition. Should you help someone you are competing against, even if it is minute?

taterhog 11-01-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146212)
Posted via Mobile Device

Steve Smith loves Jenoras Jenkins

-King- 11-01-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10146233)
Give me a reason why it is dumb.

I think it's dumb to throw a fit about it. I don't think it's dumb at all for a coach to encourage his players to take every competitive advantage they can get.

Give me a reason it's dumb other than baseless vague assertions.

Again, we're not talking about the changing of the GAME. We're talking about the nature of competition. Should you help someone you are competing against, even if it is minute?

Its dumb because its disrespectful. Play hard between the whistles. Don't be a douche after.
Posted via Mobile Device

WhiteWhale 11-01-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146252)
Its dumb because its disrespectful. Play hard between the whistles. Don't be a douche after.
Posted via Mobile Device

So the best you have is a subjective opinion about 'disrespect'?

You HAVE to help other players up or you're a 'douche'?

The **** world do you live in? This isn't pee wee football. These guys are professionals.

CoMoChief 11-01-2013 07:52 AM

A lot of the NFL players have respect for one another. I don't have a problem seeing players help opposing players off the ground. These guys take a ****ing beating every Sunday. It isn't high school where you can get hit 50x and it doesn't hurt. These are 250lb 3% body fat mutant men who are flying around the field running 4.5-4.6 range ****ing smashing into other people going all out full top speed w/ armored gear/pads on. Many players work out w/ each other in the offseason, played college ball together, whatever the case may be. FA has changed the game completely. You don't have players (except maybe franchise QB's but really not even so much that anymore) that stay around w/ one team which creates stronger rivalries. Those days are pretty much over.

hometeam 11-01-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10146257)

The **** world do you live in? This isn't pee wee football. These guys are professionals.

I would venture to say 99% of the guys actually playing have mutual respect for each other (save for maybe a few personal rivalries) and don't feel like they should spit on the opponent between plays.

So.. not sure why you so mad?

Sorter 11-01-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RippedmyFlesh (Post 10146102)
They are the 2012 Chiefs. Horrific coaching yet talent on the roster.
Tampa needs their version of Andy Reid and they will bounce back next year.

If they were smart, they'd fire Schiano now and hire Lovie so they wouldn't have any competition.

Al Bundy 11-01-2013 08:08 AM

This has VERY little to do with actually helping his opponents up, it has more to do with McCoy telling the coaching staff they are ****ing idiots.

jettio 11-01-2013 08:10 AM

I think these Bucs coaches are going to be selling Life Alert products next year instead of coaching football, so you can't blame them for trying to grow the market.

Chief Roundup 11-01-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146252)
Posted via Mobile Device

When on the field of battle for those 60 minutes. You should not help your opponent. Make that person expend their own energy to get that 300 lbs off the ground. That is not disrespectful at all. In the 4th quarter is when these big guys get worn down. If you help that big fatty up burning your energy and not his all game long. In the end it could come back to haunt you or your team.
Outside of those 60 minutes, not between whistles, is a different story. But during the game it is battle and every inch of turf, every ounce of energy is very important.

Red Dawg 11-01-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10146097)

Not possible for me. Schiano has done what to the Chiefs?

Ceej 11-01-2013 08:21 AM

Anyone who sides with a coach who has his dlinemen dive at the opposing linemen's knees is so far gone.

Schiano is a joke.

Fish 11-01-2013 08:22 AM

How did this article make it past an editor? What a mess..

Al Bundy 11-01-2013 08:24 AM

Like I said, this is more about the coaches and their stupid ****ing stunts. These coaches are all terrible. The D-line coaches have either already or are very close to ruining guys like Adrian Clayborn.

Al Bundy 11-01-2013 08:37 AM

Gerald McCoy ‏@Geraldini93 13m

Whoa! I never said I was yelled at or even ridiculed for helping people up. And I didn't name names. Don't misquote me or make up non sense!

-King- 11-01-2013 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10146300)
When on the field of battle for those 60 minutes. You should not help your opponent. Make that person expend their own energy to get that 300 lbs off the ground. That is not disrespectful at all. In the 4th quarter is when these big guys get worn down. If you help that big fatty up burning your energy and not his all game long. In the end it could come back to haunt you or your team.
Outside of those 60 minutes, not between whistles, is a different story. But during the game it is battle and every inch of turf, every ounce of energy is very important.

"Battle"? Really LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

Chief Roundup 11-01-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146346)
"Battle"? Really LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

**** YES BATTLE
That is a term that has been used to describe football games for decades by players, coaches, owners, and the media.
Go watch some NFL Films or something.

Chief Roundup 11-01-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146346)
"Battle"? Really LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

When these guys are fighting for an inch of turf, in the trenches, do you think they are playing?
When the WRs and CBs are trying to get position and get the ball before the other or knock it down do you think they are playing?

**** NO they are BATTLING.

Direckshun 11-01-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10146275)
If they were smart, they'd fire Schiano now and hire Lovie so they wouldn't have any competition.

Holy shit. That's ****ing Brilliant.

Lovie even has experience with the Tampa 2.

Perfect ****ing idea.

CaliforniaChief 11-01-2013 12:14 PM

This could become the gumwrappergate of Tampa.

Aspengc8 11-01-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10146361)
**** YES BATTLE
That is a term that has been used to describe football games for decades by players, coaches, owners, and the media.
Go watch some NFL Films or something.

You haven't played much, if any, organized ball.. have you?

DaneMcCloud 11-01-2013 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 10146188)
Not the good ones.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, Marvin Lewis sucks

themanwithnoname 11-01-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteWhale (Post 10146257)

Worthy ****ing adversary. If you respect your opponent then there's nothing wrong with showing them some. Punk ass bitches take issue with helping up an opponent. If you value true competition you want them at their full strength and you want to dominate them, you want to push them into the ****ing dirt, then help them up, only to push them right back into the dirt the next play.

Rausch 11-01-2013 12:49 PM

I find this hard to believe.

Bryan Cox was always such a ****ing class guy...

Iconic 11-01-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10146365)
When these guys are fighting for an inch of turf, in the trenches, do you think they are playing?
When the WRs and CBs are trying to get position and get the ball before the other or knock it down do you think they are playing?

**** NO they are BATTLING.

Dude you seriously need to find some new hobbies.

Mr. Laz 11-01-2013 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10146100)

it is, but i wouldn't want him McCoy helping the other team up either

make them expend the energy to get up themselves

take every edge you can get

Help your own guys up if you need to do something

Skyy God 11-01-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10146275)

Why would Lovie sign now rather than wait and see if a better job (roster, $$) opens up?

Sorter 11-01-2013 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 10146996)
Why would Lovie sign now rather than wait and see if a better job (roster, $$) opens up?

Because he's got a rich history with Tampa and they have some very nice pieces on their roster.

Easy 6 11-01-2013 03:39 PM

Little things like this are just a symptom of the bigger problems down there.

No way Schiano is an NFL head coach next year.

HC_Chief 11-01-2013 03:43 PM

Dysfunctional organization.
KC fans know MUCH on this subject.
Tampa's org needs an enema.

sportsman1 11-01-2013 04:02 PM

Tampa looks just like KC. Decent, horrific....???

I think this is about as douchey as douchey gets.

Sorter 11-01-2013 04:28 PM

Bucs coach Greg Schiano acknowledged Friday Doug Martin will eventually need surgery on his torn shoulder labrum.
"Eventually, he'll need to get it repaired," said Schiano, while insisting Martin could still return this year. Why the Bucs in good faith would let Martin play through a torn labrum is beyond us, but it's obviously irresponsible. They haven't won a game all year. It's a situation where ownership needs to step in.

From rotoworld.

JFC. Nothing says "competent organization" like ****ing around with one of your best young player and his torn labrum.

TimBone 11-01-2013 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorter (Post 10147576)
Bucs coach Greg Schiano acknowledged Friday Doug Martin will eventually need surgery on his torn shoulder labrum.
"Eventually, he'll need to get it repaired," said Schiano, while insisting Martin could still return this year. Why the Bucs in good faith would let Martin play through a torn labrum is beyond us, but it's obviously irresponsible. They haven't won a game all year. It's a situation where ownership needs to step in.

From rotoworld.

JFC. Nothing says "competent organization" like ****ing around with one of your best young player and his torn labrum.

The sooner they get Schiano out of there the better. Holy Shit.

mcaj22 11-01-2013 05:09 PM

I bet they **** up getting Lovie Smith and they wind up with another nobody douche HC with a huge ego

Rain Man 11-01-2013 05:27 PM

I think the Bill Russell-era Celtics used to fine players if they helped an opponent off the ground. It's pretty tacky to demand poor sportsmanship from your players.