ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Shouldn't Safeties Be Worth More? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278509)

RINGLEADER 11-11-2013 08:35 PM

Shouldn't Safeties Be Worth More?

It's another way of getting the ball into the end zone after all. In most respects it's the hardest way to score points and even if you DO get the ball it seems a bit unfair to get only two measly points for such a big play,

Thoughts?

Bowser 11-11-2013 08:35 PM

Sure, make it four points. Why the hell not?

KCrockaholic 11-11-2013 08:38 PM

**** it. Make it ten points.

hometeam 11-11-2013 08:39 PM

Its 2 because they kick it back to you.

Baby Lee 11-11-2013 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10179260)
It's another way of getting the ball into the end zone after all. In most respects it's the hardest way to score points and even if you DO get the ball it seems a bit unfair to get only two measly points for such a big play,

Thoughts?

I don't think you're overvaluing the safety, you're undervaluing the free possession. For a competent offense, a safety is in essence a 5-9 point play. Give any more points to a safety and you make the possibility of a lot of one play games.

SAUTO 11-11-2013 08:57 PM

Berry at five?
Posted via Mobile Device

CrazyPhuD 11-11-2013 09:01 PM

You only get two points when you don't do the dance in the endzone.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AjPau5QYtYs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-11-2013 09:25 PM

If a team starts at the 40 yard line, they will score 1.8 points, on average, for that possession.

If you figure that is the average starting point after a safety, then a safety is, in essence, a 3.8 point play.

Phobia 11-11-2013 09:31 PM

Your "drive" ends.
You give 2 points.
You kick ball off to opponent.

That's pretty significant.

Pitt Gorilla 11-11-2013 09:36 PM

Safeties are essentially a turnover plus two points. That's a pretty big deal.

Demonpenz 11-12-2013 07:12 AM

They also don't get to use a Tee so it is harder to onside kick and harder to cover

Simply Red 11-12-2013 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10179417)
If a team starts at the 40 yard line, they will score 1.8 points, on average, for that possession.

If you figure that is the average starting point after a safety, then a safety is, in essence, a 3.8 point play.

You can't bleach a Cerruti. Out of the question.

Hog's Gone Fishin 11-12-2013 08:33 AM

Speaking of safties. I'll bet we nail 3 of them on Manning. And with the 3rd he'll be carried off on a strecher. An extra long strecher to accomodate his neck and forehead.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10180085)

You can't bleach a Cerruti. Out of the question.

2) I can only get these sheets in Santa Fe

Sweet Daddy Hate 11-12-2013 09:56 AM

Whew! For a minute, I thought someone was advocating paying Lewis more grip.

Prison Bitch 11-12-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10179417)

I don't follow that because you essentially forced a turnover by getting the safety. You're double counting the effect of the actual play here. The new possession has nothing to do with the safety.

2 points is fair.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2013 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10180369)
I don't follow that because you essentially forced a turnover by getting the safety. You're double counting the effect of the actual play here. The new possession has nothing to do with the safety.

2 points is fair.

You are just painfully stupid:

1) You get two points for the safety

2) The average field position after a safety is around the 40 yard line. That translates to an average of 1.8 points per possession.

2+1.8=3.8 points.

A safety may score you two points initially, but it's really worth 3.8 points.

Old Dog 11-12-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 10180082)
They also don't get to use a Tee so it is harder to onside kick and harder to cover

They can use a tee on the free kick if they so choose. Most don't due to the amount of hang time a punter gets vs a kicker, but they can.

Prison Bitch 11-12-2013 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10180386)
You are just painfully stupid:

1) You get two points for the safety

2) The average field position after a safety is around the 40 yard line. That translates to an average of 1.8 points per possession.

2+1.8=3.8 points.

A safety may score you two points initially, but it's really worth 3.8 points.

Don't be stupid and irrational. They are independent. By your logic, a sack on 3rd down that forces the same punt from the same spot a safety does, should also be worth 1.8 points. And that's absurd.

ciaomichael 11-12-2013 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Dog (Post 10180449)
They can use a tee on the free kick if they so choose. Most don't due to the amount of hang time a punter gets vs a kicker, but they can.

No. They can use a tee in high school and college on a free kick, but not in the NFL.

Old Dog 11-12-2013 10:30 AM

My mistake, they can kick it rather than punt, but it must be held (like a FG) not on a tee. I guess a dropkick is legal as well, but I have never seen that.

'Hamas' Jenkins 11-12-2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 10180489)
Don't be stupid and irrational. They are independent. By your logic, a sack on 3rd down that forces the same punt from the same spot a safety does, should also be worth 1.8 points. And that's absurd.

It's not the spot from the punt, it's the starting average field position of the offense.

Teams that have a first down on the 40 score, on average, 1.8 points per possession.

If a team averages starting field possession on the 40, they will score, on average, 1.8 points on that possession. Sometimes they will score seven, sometimes they will score three, and often no points at all. But on average, they score that many points.

Thus, if you get the ball back on average at the 40 yard line, you can expect to score 1.8 points. Add that to the two points you've already scored, and you get 3.8 points.

You don't score 3.8 points with each safety, but on average, you will.

alnorth 11-12-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10180580)
It's not the spot from the punt, it's the starting average field position of the offense.

Teams that have a first down on the 40 score, on average, 1.8 points per possession.

If a team averages starting field possession on the 40, they will score, on average, 1.8 points on that possession. Sometimes they will score seven, sometimes they will score three, and often no points at all. But on average, they score that many points.

Thus, if you get the ball back on average at the 40 yard line, you can expect to score 1.8 points. Add that to the two points you've already scored, and you get 3.8 points.

This might be nit-picking, but if an offense is doing so poorly that they allow a safety, then they were probably going to be punting soon anyway, and with a punt its probably about the same field position.

Not always, sometimes absent the safety they would have gotten the first down and continued down the field, but a lot of times it was going to be a punt. So, maybe shave a little off the expected 3.8 but I do agree that a safety is probably worth at least slightly more than 3 points on average.

Prison Bitch 11-12-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 10180580)

I understand perfectly what you're saying. I just think there are limits to these type of Sabermetrics. A 3+Out that results in the possession from the same 40-yard line has the same 1.8 points of value then. So stopping the run on 1st down was worth what, 0.6 points? The incomplete pass another 0.6, the sack the final 0.6.

You can see how you can take the E(x) values here to mean far more than they really do.