ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Video Games Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=278534)

keg in kc 11-12-2013 09:13 PM

Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor

Announced today, it would seem. Cover story in next month's Game Informer:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HD4RuVTAFIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quote:

Originally Posted by Game Informer
As movie audiences gear up for the next installment of The Hobbit, gamers now have their own Tolkien project to get excited about. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is on its way to a game screen near you on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC. Developed by Monolith Productions and published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment, we feel the upcoming game showcases some of the gameplay innovation potential now possible on next-generation consoles through its groundbreaking Nemesis System.

While many previous games set in Middle-earth have revolved around the major events or characters depicted in Tolkien's books, Shadow of Mordor offers a new chapter that fits comfortably between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. Players control a lone ranger by the name of Talion as he journeys deep into the heart of Mordor in the days before it transforms into a blasted hellscape. Along the way, developer Monolith is exploring a fascinating next-gen approach to enemies, encounters, and storytelling, one in which every player shapes their own story through the choices they make. The Nemesis System assures that every enemy you fight is a named foe, and if they survive their battle with you, they continue to grow, improve, and act in the world, even as you attempt to do the same with Talion.

Link

Looks like just about everybody in game media has a story about it today.

CoMoChief 11-12-2013 09:48 PM

Is it going to be some reeruned gay rpg ?

Pants 11-12-2013 10:33 PM

Monolith made N.O.L.F. which was one of the best games I've ever played. This might be awesome.

htismaqe 12-08-2013 11:05 AM

OMG. Just finished reading the GI cover story.

Folks, this is why we eagerly awaited next gen systems.

NPCs in this game at going to function just like you're character. While you're off doing whatever they're dying, getting promoted/demoted,leveling up, fighting battles and more.

If you fight someone and they live, they'll remember you. They might stop at nothing to see you dead or they might go back to camp telling everyone you're a badass.

The next time you see them, they might run. The ENTIRE CAMP might run depending on how legendary they think you are.

It's radiant AI applied to every character in the world. Monolith is calling it the Nemesis System.

htismaqe 12-08-2013 11:08 AM

I should have also noted that this wasn't just talked about. GI saw a working demo, emphasis on "working".

Setsuna 12-08-2013 12:03 PM

YEAAAAHHHH! Now we wait for Star Wars to catch up...

htismaqe 12-08-2013 06:22 PM

I just can't get over how ****ing awesome this game looks.

Hammock Parties 12-08-2013 07:15 PM

So this is going to be an open world RPG?

I am so ****ing down.

Hammock Parties 12-08-2013 07:18 PM

A thousand times YES.

Quote:

In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, the player plays as a ranger with Wraith-like abilities by the name of Talion.[1] The game is an open world video game and players will have the freedom to pursue side quests and roam around the world.[2]

The game makes use of a new system called the Nemesis System which remembers the player's interactions with specific types of characters they will encounter in the game and adjusts the manner in which these characters will react to the player throughout the game.[1] The player will have the option to level up the abilities of Talion both as a ranger and as a Wraith through two distinct skill trees.[2]
Plot[edit]

The game takes place between the events of The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, as written by J.R.R. Tolkien.[1] The family of ranger Talion is killed by Sauron's armies, and he himself is also killed, but soon revived with "wraith-like abilities" and heads to Mordor to exact his revenge.[3] Mordor is not yet a barren wasteland in this story.[4]

The story involves the Rings of Power, but the story is separate to The Lord of the Rings canon. However, Warner Bros. maintains that the stories will align.[3] The player will encounter Gollum in the game, discovering that Talion and Gollum have a lot in common.[2]
This sounds badass, and the choosing between skill trees reminds me of turning to the dark or light side in Jedi Knight games.

I am gonna get a badass PC for this game.

htismaqe 12-08-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10261440)
So this is going to be an open world RPG?

I am so ****ing down.

Open world RPG, yes. But also SO much more.

hometeam 12-08-2013 10:16 PM

Shows promise

htismaqe 12-08-2013 10:35 PM

"Depending on the method used to kill an important enemy like Orthag, you get a rune tied to one of those weapons. Since Orthag was killed in open combat, Talion receives a rune for the sword that boosts melee damage, but at the cost of a lowered regeneration rate. Several of these runes can be slotted in each weapon, and the more powerful the enemy, the greater the rune. That's why it might be in a player's best interest to sometimes allow enemies to escape and gain power and prestige; their eventual rune reward becomes all the sweeter."

I took that from the GI article. Lots of games have asked the player to choose life or death for an innocent or even morally ambiguous NPC but about the only time a true villain escapes is during a scripted sequence that advances the plot. Has anybody ever played a game where you actually contemplated it being a GOOD idea to let your arch enemy go instead of killing him on the spot?

TambaBerry 12-09-2013 12:44 AM

This looks awesome, can't wait.

Mav 12-09-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pam Oliver's Forehead (Post 10261446)
A thousand times YES.

This sounds badass, and the choosing between skill trees reminds me of turning to the dark or light side in Jedi Knight games.

I am gonna get a badass PC for this game.

I may have to ask for your help building one.

CrazyPhuD 12-09-2013 01:56 AM

This game would be awesome if you could kill Gollum, Frodo, and/or Bilbo before the events of Lord of the Rings. I would be spectacular if someone could actually manage to steal the ring and become a possessed agent of Sauron that everyone else in the world must band together against to destroy or it would end the world!

How legendary would you be if you could walk around with a necklace that had Bilbos(or Frodos or Goloms) head on it?

otherstar 12-09-2013 07:57 AM

That sounds awesome (like Lord of the Rings Online, on serious STEROIDS). LOTRO just started using trait trees most love them (myself included). Depending on the cost, I may have to give this one a try!

The Franchise 12-09-2013 10:10 AM

For once I'd like to see a game that relies on player choices....to actually make the choices worthwhile. Half the time the rewards for either choice are garbage. Want to make it tough for me to stop taking the wrong side? Give me a reward that actually makes me want to choose the correct side.

allen_kcCard 12-09-2013 10:27 AM

As much as it would frustrate me in ways, I would love to see a game actually make the game damn near unplayable if you keep making the wrong choices. Like if you run around just killing anything that moves, get to a point where you can't do anything at all because mobs of guards and vigilantes swarm you and even the worst of the worst in the world refuse to deal with you.

allen_kcCard 12-09-2013 10:35 AM

Would also like to make this game my excuse for getting an updated system. Although trying to sell the house to get something large enough that my 4 month old actually has a room of his own might put a damper on that budget item.

Hammock Parties 12-09-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 10263088)
As much as it would frustrate me in ways, I would love to see a game actually make the game damn near unplayable if you keep making the wrong choices. Like if you run around just killing anything that moves, get to a point where you can't do anything at all because mobs of guards and vigilantes swarm you and even the worst of the worst in the world refuse to deal with you.

Actually it should make it incredibly hard...but the longer you persevere the bigger badass you become...and eventually you can overcome incredible odds as a super badass ranger...holy shit.

Valiant 12-09-2013 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen_kcCard (Post 10263088)

daggerfall

Pants 12-09-2013 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10263048)
For once I'd like to see a game that relies on player choices....to actually make the choices worthwhile. Half the time the rewards for either choice are garbage. Want to make it tough for me to stop taking the wrong side? Give me a reward that actually makes me want to choose the correct side.

I feel the best games are the ones with morally ambiguous choices. I feel like black or white choices are boring.

I loved the choice you had to make in the first Witcher. I could see good reasons to go with either one and it was incredibly difficult to decide. We need more games like that, IMO.

htismaqe 12-09-2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pants (Post 10264781)
I feel the best games are the ones with morally ambiguous choices. I feel like black or white choices are boring.

I loved the choice you had to make in the first Witcher. I could see good reasons to go with either one and it was incredibly difficult to decide. We need more games like that, IMO.

The thing is, some of the situations I'm reading in the GI article aren't morally ambiguous. It's pretty black and white what you SHOULD do from a moral perspective. They're introducing a decision point as a gameplay mechanism, not a plot device (although it certainly figures into the plot).

It's a bit different than the Witcher I think but the Witcher is a good example because it was pretty unique/innovative and I think this has that kind of potential.

Hammock Parties 01-23-2014 02:53 PM

omfg

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/7fB64APq_jk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 01-23-2014 02:56 PM

Holy ****.

loochy 01-23-2014 03:09 PM

pretty cool.

i dont know if i like the wraith thing though

keg in kc 01-23-2014 03:10 PM

Not sure I like the looks of that combat.

The Franchise 01-23-2014 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10389512)

That's probably the only thing out of that...that I have questions about. It looked like at one point that he hit the enemy with a clean slash....but the enemy continued forward with his combo anyways.

htismaqe 01-23-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10389517)
That's probably the only thing out of that...that I have questions about. It looked like at one point that he hit the enemy with a clean slash....but the enemy continued forward with his combo anyways.

Collision detection is something that can be continuously tweaked...

Fish 01-23-2014 03:18 PM

Holy ****ing ****. That's the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

hometeam 01-23-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10389512)

Ever played arkham games or assassins creed? Looks pretty much just like that, and its is incredibly enjoyable combat interface~

loochy 01-23-2014 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10389528)
Ever played arkham games or assassins creed? Looks pretty much just like that, and its is incredibly enjoyable combat interface~

i think it really comes down to how it feels

if it feels right, then alrighty

The Franchise 01-23-2014 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10389520)
Collision detection is something that can be continuously tweaked...

Oh yeah....I'm not going to base my decision solely on a YouTube video.

keg in kc 01-23-2014 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10389528)

Yeah, it reminded me of both Arkham and the first Witcher, and that's not really what I'm looking for in the RPG realm (I have hated the combat in the Witcher franchise to date). Way too early to know for sure how it plays, it just looks way too 'smash buttons on the controller' to me in that video.

bowener 01-23-2014 05:01 PM

Future gaming has been taken to a new level.

Urc Burry 01-23-2014 05:11 PM

God damn!! Is there a release date to this yet?

Sure-Oz 01-23-2014 05:11 PM

OMFG please be awesome

hometeam 01-23-2014 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10389687)
Yeah, it reminded me of both Arkham and the first Witcher, and that's not really what I'm looking for in the RPG realm (I have hated the combat in the Witcher franchise to date). Way too early to know for sure how it plays, it just looks way too 'smash buttons on the controller' to me in that video.

I can understand that.. if you have played lots of Arkham (like me) especially the newest one, it becomes less about button mashing and more.. how can I say it.. finesse button combos. Sort of like fighting games, except with a 3d arena against multiple opponents.

keg in kc 01-23-2014 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10389806)
I can understand that.. if you have played lots of Arkham (like me) especially the newest one, it becomes less about button mashing and more.. how can I say it.. finesse button combos. Sort of like fighting games, except with a 3d arena against multiple opponents.

I played tons of Arkham. I thought the style was fine in that arena, but I wasn't thinking of this game as being action-adventure. But hey, I'm old-fashioned. I'm more excited about the 2d isometric RPGs coming out this year than anything else.

hometeam 01-23-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10389816)
I played tons of Arkham. I thought the style was fine in that arena, but I wasn't thinking of this game as being action-adventure. But hey, I'm old-fashioned. I'm more excited about the 2d isometric RPGs coming out this year than anything else.

Checking out pillars of eternity?

I backed it on kickstarter and am waiting patiently~

keg in kc 01-23-2014 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10389830)
Checking out pillars of eternity?

I backed it on kickstarter and am waiting patiently~

Yep. That and Torment: Tides of Numenera.

Setsuna 01-23-2014 10:49 PM

Wow. Fap city. They need to do some work obviously but dang guys. Dang.

KcMizzou 01-23-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10390370)
Wow. Fap city. They need to do some work obviously but dang guys. Dang.

Yeah. Looks pretty badass. I'll be interested in the final product.

The Franchise 01-23-2014 10:58 PM

Anyone know of a release date?

The Franchise 04-02-2014 01:42 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/54m1YfEuYU8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 05-19-2014 10:48 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dVKZfJuegBE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

keg in kc 05-19-2014 10:56 AM

October's going to be brutal for me. DA:I, Arkham Knight, SWTOR's Galactic Strongholds launch and this all in a 2 week period.

Pablo 05-19-2014 04:44 PM

I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. Looks pretty fun.

htismaqe 05-19-2014 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10638301)
October's going to be brutal for me. DA:I, Arkham Knight, SWTOR's Galactic Strongholds launch and this all in a 2 week period.

No shit.

I think I'm going to play DAI first and then this. DAI just looks so ****ing cool...

Setsuna 05-20-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10638301)

No Division?

keg in kc 05-20-2014 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10641236)
No Division?

Not a shooter kind of guy. Although I'll play Destiny if it ever comes to PC.

The Franchise 05-20-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10638989)
No shit.

I think I'm going to play DAI first and then this. DAI just looks so ****ing cool...

Never played any of the Dragon Age games.

GordonGekko 05-20-2014 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10641254)

You mean you are not going to pay $400 to buy the hardware to play this one game?

Neither am I

Fish 05-20-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10641287)

You really should, if you like that kind of genre at all...

htismaqe 05-20-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10641287)

I actually haven't played them either mostly because I like a more open ended character creation system.

However, this new game looks wicked cool.

Setsuna 05-20-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10641254)

Destiny is exclusively shooting. Division should have other things besides that.

keg in kc 05-20-2014 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Setsuna (Post 10641591)
Destiny is exclusively shooting. Division should have other things besides that.

Destiny is science fiction. Pretty much the only circumstances under which I'll play a shooter.

Division's pushed back to 2015 anyway, so it's not like either's an option in October.

Setsuna 05-21-2014 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 10641612)
Destiny is science fiction. Pretty much the only circumstances under which I'll play a shooter.

Division's pushed back to 2015 anyway, so it's not like either's an option in October.

It is? Well heck...that's actually ok since I don't think I can afford a PS4 till next year anyway.

The Franchise 05-22-2014 01:23 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/XjksYo26-0s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 05-22-2014 01:25 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e5Yi4RWA53k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 06-05-2014 09:37 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ABmoXXPyGeI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

NewChief 06-05-2014 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10672211)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ABmoXXPyGeI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What is the evil human boss dude supposed to be within the Middle Earth canon?

The Franchise 06-05-2014 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 10672254)
What is the evil human boss dude supposed to be within the Middle Earth canon?

I can't tell. It's almost like he's half human-half orc but they refer to him being a "gravewalker" like the main character.

The Franchise 06-10-2014 09:30 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/55GJQQKKzuE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish 06-10-2014 09:34 AM

An army of glowing eyed orc slaves fighting for you?

Sign me up!

The Franchise 06-16-2014 12:31 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pu6iNu3yI2g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Franchise 08-08-2014 04:39 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fCvbEr1YnGs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Same lead actor from "The Last of Us" is the lead voice actor for this game.

Sure-Oz 08-08-2014 10:32 PM

Troy Baker and Nolan North are just money

ThaVirus 08-08-2014 11:04 PM

Lord of the Rings: Shadow of Mordor

Nolan North is the shit. He also voiced Nathan Drake in the Uncharted series and the main character in the Assassin's Creed games.

The Franchise 09-25-2014 09:54 AM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9-ZXC-08gd8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Comes out in 5 days.

Sure-Oz 09-25-2014 10:39 PM

Ign gave it a 9.3 along with many other reviewers saying its a must buy. Stoked

007 09-26-2014 02:24 AM

OK, you guys know me well enough. Is this a game I would even like?

Hays 09-26-2014 02:46 PM

I am getting this for the xbox one for sure.

Valiant 09-26-2014 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10949045)
OK, you guys know me well enough. Is this a game I would even like?

It plays like the arkham games but with more leveling, and you get to kill.

It looks amazing, just got great reviews.

007 09-26-2014 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valiant (Post 10950026)
It plays like the arkham games but with more leveling, and you get to kill.

It looks amazing, just got great reviews.

OK I loved Arkham 1 and 2 but I'm not a fan of leveling. hmmm

hometeam 09-26-2014 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10950103)
OK I loved Arkham 1 and 2 but I'm not a fan of leveling. hmmm

You leveled in Arkham too.

Its gonna be sick.

007 09-26-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hometeam (Post 10950145)
You leveled in Arkham too.

Its gonna be sick.

well it wasn't complicated and I didn't really consider that leveling because everyone pretty much leveled exactly the same on that. There wasn't a lot of choice because by the end of the game everyone would be the same.

DanBecky 09-26-2014 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10950166)
well it wasn't complicated and I didn't really consider that leveling because everyone pretty much leveled exactly the same on that. There wasn't a lot of choice because by the end of the game everyone would be the same.

Deciding how to level up your character is always difficult for me strictly bc I didn't want other ppl having an advantage over me based on how they chose to level up and upgrade their character opposed to how I decided to. I know that's a mouthful but it made sense to me. Rent it for a couple days and see how you like it before committing. I've heard their will be some DLC for this as well. I'm huge fan of the LOTR universe and will definitely be playing this Tuesday, just unsure if I will buy with COD AW around the corner.

hometeam 09-26-2014 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guru (Post 10950166)

Well there are two ways to go at that..

Spend a little time researching the 'best; way to play like you think you want to play, or, you can just level up as you go putting points into things which you are using and just play through the game.

I don't think you are going to find the actual leveling/skill process too troubling, especially when you will have the game play or internet to guide you.

I am super hyped for this game, I think its gonna be too sick to miss.

Buck 09-27-2014 01:23 PM

I just bought this on Nuuvem for $29. It's a Brazilian site, but legit.

http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produtos?editora=14&promo=1