ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Paylor:How Alex Smith’s next contract could be affected by Colin Kaepernick’s (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284156)

Tribal Warfare 06-05-2014 10:28 PM

Paylor:How Alex Smith’s next contract could be affected by Colin Kaepernick’s

How Alex Smith’s next contract could be affected by Colin Kaepernick’s $126 million deal

San Francisco’s Colin Kaepernick went out of his way Wednesday to thank current Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith, the man whose job he usurped two years ago.

“I don’t think I would be at this point so quickly if he hadn’t been such a great mentor to me and helped me along with things,” Kaepernick, 26, said after news broke about his six-year, $126 million contract extension.

But it’s also easy to think Kaepernick may have returned the favor by setting the market for Smith, who is seeking a new deal of his own.

“If I represented Alex Smith,” said former agent Joel Corry, “I’d be telling the Chiefs that my numbers on where the quarterback market is and will be going is correct.”

Kaepernick’s extension is actually worth just $13 million guaranteed but includes roster bonuses that can push that number up. There are also de-escalators, according to media reports, and the contract is constructed in such a way that the 49ers could get out of the deal after a few years with minimal consequence.

Corry said the Chiefs might push for a similar structure, citing Kaepernick as a reference, though he suspects Smith’s agent, Tom Condon, would never go for it.

“If you ask me to take my agent hat off, I don’t think this deal is going to have any real impact on Alex Smith’s negotiation,” Corry said. “It’s two different (situations). The problem is, the Chiefs still aren’t going to want to want to pay him in that Matthew Stafford, Tony Romo, Jay Cutler range. He’s got the same problem Andy Dalton has.”

Like Dalton, Cincinnati’s quarterback, Smith is generally regarded as a second-tier quarterback in the same class as Stafford, Romo and Cutler, who are all making around $18 million per season.

That could prove to be a bit too rich for the Chiefs’ and Bengals’ liking, if that is indeed what Smith and Dalton — who will be free agents after the season — are asking for. Both teams also invested fifth-round draft picks in talented, developmental quarterbacks (Aaron Murray and A.J. McCarron) this year.

“Anything over $15 million a year on the average and $35 million in guarantees, the Chiefs should not want to do,” Corry said. “The problem is there’s nobody (making that) because the middle class (of quarterbacks) is gone. Matt Sanchez got cut. Matt Schaub got cut. You really have no middle class.”

This is one of the reasons the 49ers likely felt compelled to lock up Kaepernick, provided he can play well enough to keep the 49ers from extricating themselves from the deal.

“They don’t have a viable option,” Corry said. “Once they traded (Smith) away, they were all in on Kaepernick. They were like, ‘You’re the guy, it’s your ball and run with it.’ ”

Corry also noted that the 49ers could have waited a year to sign Kaepernick, but that might have cost them.

“They ran the risk of him going out and being Joe Flacco, where they win a Super Bowl and then he’s asking to be the highest-paid player in the league,” Corry said. “That’s just kind of the game you have to play with quarterbacks. If you have one that’s young and has a lot of potential, even if he hasn’t reached it, you’re going to have to overpay him.”

The Chiefs, on the other hand, may be willing to take their chances with Smith. Despite an 11-5 record last season, a tougher schedule and a younger supporting cast may conspire to make it difficult for Smith to duplicate his 2013 numbers, even with a respected offensive mind like Andy Reid calling the plays.

“I would tell him: ‘You want that money? Go out and justify it through your play this year,’ ” Corry said. “I’d gamble with him on that one. If he goes out and lights it up, that’s a nice problem to have because then you could always franchise him.”

Both the Chiefs and Smith have said there have been some discussions about a new contract. But Smith, who will make $7.5 million this season, has said he isn’t thinking about an extension and isn’t worried if he doesn’t get one before training camp starts.

“Smith kind of has a little bit of leverage too because KC gave up two second-round picks for him and you really don’t want to see someone walk after giving up two second-round picks,” Corry said. “But I don’t think Kansas City is going to be persuaded to make a substantial bump in their offer based on Kaepernick’s deal.”

el borracho 06-05-2014 11:55 PM

Difficult for Smith to Duplicate his 2013 numbers? As if his 2013 stats were something to crow about.

rico 06-06-2014 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by el borracho (Post 10674171)
Difficult for Smith to Duplicate his 2013 numbers? As if his 2013 stats were something to crow about.

Yup.

Dunerdr 06-06-2014 05:16 AM

He should surpass 2013 numbers with ease even with a shit oline. The first 9 games he completed like 7 passes and one touchdown.

Eleazar 06-06-2014 06:05 AM

His numbers have been very consistent over the past several years.

Marcellus 06-06-2014 06:16 AM

Quote:

“If I represented Alex Smith,” said former agent Joel Corry, “I’d be telling the Chiefs that my numbers on where the quarterback market is and will be going is correct.”
Quote:

“But I don’t think Kansas City is going to be persuaded to make a substantial bump in their offer based on Kaepernick’s deal.
So basically this whole article means about as much as a CP thread.

Chief Roundup 06-06-2014 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 10674225)
He should surpass 2013 numbers with ease even with a shit oline. The first 9 games he completed like 7 passes and one touchdown.

Close but it was actually 188 completions with 9TDs.

Halfcan 06-06-2014 09:47 AM

Hard to pay a QB top money when he didn't throw a TD in a game for 1/4 of the season- during a stretch where the defense won the games for us. Yes he had an above average year and his stats evened out. But he also missed a wide open receiver down the side line in the Colts game that would have sealed a win. He choked at the very moment the game was on the line. That TD would have shifted the momentum back to us-instead of getting rolled. The D was gassed and were giving up huge plays. We needed that TD. Alex was brilliant the first half then disappeared.

Until Alex proves he can win a playoff game in KC- I wouldn't sign him to a new contract. Make him play out his contract and then franchise him for one year if need be. If he wins a playoff game and more-sign him and let him retire a chief. Hopefully in 2 years we can have someone that can step in and be the man to end the drought. Just my opinion.

Chief Roundup 06-06-2014 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10674526)
Hard to pay a QB top money when he didn't throw a TD in a game for 1/4 of the season- during a stretch where the defense won the games for us. Yes he had an above average year and his stats evened out. But he also missed a wide open receiver down the side line in the Colts game that would have sealed a win. He choked at the very moment the game was on the line. That TD would have shifted the momentum back to us-instead of getting rolled. The D was gassed and were giving up huge plays. We needed that TD. Alex was brilliant the first half then disappeared.

Until Alex proves he can win a playoff game in KC- I wouldn't sign him to a new contract. Make him play out his contract and then franchise him for one year if need be. If he wins a playoff game and more-sign him and let him retire a chief. Hopefully in 2 years we can have someone that can step in and be the man to end the drought. Just my opinion.

Never happened.

Discuss Thrower 06-06-2014 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10674592)
Never happened.

Because he didn't throw a TD in over 30% of games.

The Franchise 06-06-2014 11:27 AM

Prove you're worth it this year. If you can't do it.....later. If you can.....then franchise him and work on a long term deal.

MahiMike 06-06-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

So 44 points is garbage now? That's the most points this franchise has ever scored in a playoff game. Come on man.

Chiefnj2 06-06-2014 11:36 AM

Quote:

The missed pass sucks, and I'm not a big Alex fan, but it's not all on Smith. You have a 3rd string HB who stuttered a bit on the route.

I also don't think it would have changed momentum. The D wasn't going to stop anyone.

Chiefnj2 06-06-2014 11:40 AM

Look at the first year of DV's offense. Everyone thought DV and Green were bums, it was a horrible trade, etc. Alex played pretty well the last half of the season and in the playoffs. It doesn't appear that he will be the limiting factor.

People will have better luck putting their faith in Smith than they will in the mythical "Don't pay him and draft a first round QB" legend.

jd1020 06-06-2014 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10674617)
The missed pass sucks, and I'm not a big Alex fan, but it's not all on Smith. You have a 3rd string HB who stuttered a bit on the route.

I also don't think it would have changed momentum. The D wasn't going to stop anyone.

So you don't think hitting a wide open receiver for an easy TD would have made a difference in a 1 point game?

Interesting.

I don't remember anyone being within 10 ****ing yards of Gray on that pass. You don't have to be cute with the throw in that situation... just throw it right at him.

BossChief 06-06-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10674618)
Look at the first year of DV's offense. Everyone thought DV and Green were bums, it was a horrible trade, etc. Alex played pretty well the last half of the season and in the playoffs. It doesn't appear that he will be the limiting factor.

People will have better luck putting their faith in Smith than they will in the mythical "Don't pay him and draft a first round QB" legend.

So, Andy Reid is such a good QB coach that he helped Alex improve over the year...and we should give Alex Smith 18-20 million per year...disregarding the fact that if we drafted a talented QB and Andy Reid helped develop him, we could get similar output while saving 15 million per year that can be used to bolster the rest of the roster to try and make a run similar to the one SF, Sea and other teams with cheap quarterbacks and talent stacked teams have done.

BossChief 06-06-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10674629)
So you don't think hitting a wide open receiver for an easy TD would have made a difference in a 1 point game?

Interesting.

I don't remember anyone being within 10 ****ing yards of Gray on that pass. You don't have to be cute with the throw in that situation... just throw it right at him.

How many times do you think Alex Smith has thrown passes to Gray in practice?

My point is he is used to throwing that pass to Davis or Charles and the timing of the pass is based on the speed of the receiver.

I don't blame Alex for that pass because Davis or Charles would have scored on it and I bet he hasn't ever thrown that pass to a guy with substandard wheels.

There's a reason we drafted another RB with wheels...

Halfcan 06-06-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10674592)
Never happened.

You are right-it was worse than I stated.

Eagles 0
Titans 0
Raiders 0
Texans 0
Bills 0
Colts 0
Chargers 0

7 games in which Alex did not throw a TD. So 43% of the games Alex started he could not manage to throw a TD to help his team. So actually much higher than a quarter of the season in which I stated. My bad. :thumb:

If a top QB is worth 20 million a year and Alex is only effective 43% of the time-that puts his number at 8,600,000 per year. Pretty much exactly were he is getting paid for next year. His ave salary is 8,416,667. So Alex is already getting more than what he is worth. His base is 7.5 mil with 500k in incentives. But since he got 9 million up front it pushes it to 8.4 according to Sports Illustrated.

The incentive is to lock him up-fear of the future-that we can't find a QB that is effective at least 57% of the games he starts while being paid 8.4 million to not throw TD's in 7 games including the last two losses to the Colts and Chargers.

Smart money is to let him finish this contract in which he will be slightly overpaid. And then Franchise him-if he does improve or god help us-we actually win a playoff game.

jd1020 06-06-2014 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10674648)
How many times do you think Alex Smith has thrown passes to Gray in practice?

My point is he is used to throwing that pass to Davis or Charles and the timing of the pass is based on the speed of the receiver.

I don't blame Alex for that pass because Davis or Charles would have scored on it and I bet he hasn't ever thrown that pass to a guy with substandard wheels.

There's a reason we drafted another RB with wheels...

You don't put any blame on a guy missing a receiver open by a mile and a half?

Holy shit...

Even Alex wants that one back, but the fans.... "well, he just didn't have enough practice throwing to Gray."

Halfcan 06-06-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 10674616)
So 44 points is garbage now? That's the most points this franchise has ever scored in a playoff game. Come on man.

Where did I state that was garbage-I stated Alex missed a wide open receiver that would have won the game. Yes he was great the first half-much better than all of us hoped-but when the game was on the line-he failed. No it was not ALL on him-I even put the D was gassed and giving big plays.

That easy wide open TD would have changed the game.

Halfcan 06-06-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10674656)

Holy shit...

Even Alex wants that one back, but the fans.... "well, he just didn't have enough practice throwing to Gray."

LMAO yep exactly!!

Discuss Thrower 06-06-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10674654)

Eagles 0
Titans 0
Raiders 0
Texans 0
Bills 0
Colts 0
Chargers 0

7 games in which Alex did not throw a TD. So 43% of the games Alex started he could not manage to throw a TD to help his team. So actually much higher than a quarter of the season in which I stated. My bad. :thumb:

If a top QB is worth 20 million a year and Alex is only effective 43% of the time-that puts his number at 8,600,000 per year. Pretty much exactly were he is getting paid for next year. His ave salary is 8,416,667. So Alex is already getting more than what he is worth. His base is 7.5 mil with 500k in incentives. But since he got 9 million up front it pushes it to 8.4 according to Sports Illustrated.

The incentive is to lock him up-fear of the future-that we can't find a QB that is effective at least 57% of the games he starts while being paid 8.4 million to not throw TD's in 7 games including the last two losses to the Colts and Chargers.

Smart money is to let him finish this contract in which he will be slightly overpaid. And then Franchise him-if he does improve or god help us-we actually win a playoff game.

He was in shorts and a ballcap for the last San Diego game...

Halfcan 06-06-2014 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10674666)
He was in shorts and a ballcap for the last San Diego game...

So he was not paid $525,000 to hold the clipboard?? Yes it was not his choice to sit- but he was still paid for it which further changes his numbers in his favor. Fact is he added nothing to that game but was still paid for it, much like a lot of the chiefs players last year. That is part of it. Alex has made what 57 million so far-so asking him to prove he can do better than not throwing a TD in 6 of the 15 games he started (40%) ineffective rate including one game on the bench and being ineffective in the last half of a horrible playoff loss-is not asking too much while he will still be cashing a fat 8 million check.

BossChief 06-06-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Holy shit...

I'm sorry that you don't know how it works, but the starting quarterback NEVER takes reps with third string players in practice. Well, almost never anyway. Especially before a playoff game. The WCO is almost strictly based on timing throws...meaning the quarterback has to anticipate the break and throw to a spot...which is what he did.

He threw it to the perfect spot that the guys he practices with would get to for an easy score.

It's just a shame that we lost our top 2 running backs in the game and Alex had zero timing with Gray.

Deanthony Thomas would have scored on that play, too.

jd1020 06-06-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10674684)
I'm sorry that you don't know how it works, but the starting quarterback NEVER takes reps with third string players in practice. Well, almost never anyway. Especially before a playoff game. The WCO is almost strictly based on timing throws...meaning the quarterback has to anticipate the break and throw to a spot...which is what he did.

He threw it to the perfect spot that the guys he practices with would get to for an easy score.

It's just a shame that we lost our top 2 running backs in the game and Alex had zero timing with Gray.

I'm sorry you are stupid enough to believe that missing a guy as WIDE OPEN as Gray has nothing to do with the throw.

Alex sees it. You dont.

Give my condolences to your immediate family.

Halfcan 06-06-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10674684)

So even though the guy is wide open - you throw it waaayyy ahead of him and hope he is fast enough and the timing is right to make the completion- even though Gray was close enough and wide open enough to hit him right in the freaking numbers???

Gray sucks!! :banghead:

TEX 06-06-2014 01:25 PM

Quote:

Holy shit...

And IF he had that one back, he'd have completed it knowing what he knows now. However, as it happened, in real time, he only knew how it was supposed to go and he threw to the spot where Gray should have been. It's all based on timing, especially that route. Sure, Smith should get some of the blame, but he did as he does in practice every day.

l4z4rd 06-06-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

I put more blame on the 3rd string RB who slowed down to look for the ball and ended up not having enough time to recover to make the catch.

Marcellus 06-06-2014 01:50 PM

This place should be called -

"You Can't See The Forest For The Trees Planet"

Spoiler!

htismaqe 06-06-2014 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by l4z4rd (Post 10674766)
I put more blame on the 3rd string RB who slowed down to look for the ball and ended up not having enough time to recover to make the catch.

That's not what happened at all.

l4z4rd 06-06-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10674793)

With his team up 41-31, Smith overshot third-string running back Cyrus Gray on a second-down sideline route that likely would have gone for a touchdown.

"Any time you get an opportunity like that, you expect to hit it," Smith told reporters after the playoff defeat, per The Kansas City Star. "The tough part is all week we so many reps, (and) obviously with Jamaal (Charles) getting all of those, it's just something we have never repped with Cyrus."

Gray acknowledged that he momentarily slowed his stride on the route, but Smith told the room: "You've still got to hit it."

R8RFAN 06-06-2014 02:12 PM

Bashing a good QB on a football forum will not make the price go down...

Pay me bitches

http://dy.snimg.com/story-image/5/88...51-650-366.jpg

Tribal Warfare 06-06-2014 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10674793)

Alex Only fans dude

Marcellus 06-06-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10674821)
Alex Only fans dude

Well yea, and Cyrus Grey himself. He is also an Alex Smith homer and is part of the big conspiracy.

Tribal Warfare 06-06-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10674865)
Well yea, and Cyrus Grey himself. He is also an Alex Smith homer and is part of the big conspiracy.

So you want to be lumped in with the 49er transplants?

Marcellus 06-06-2014 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10674867)
So you want to be lumped in with the 49er transplants?

Yea, the 49ers fans are the only people who think Smith didn't cost us that game and they are apparently the only ones that can READ.

Lump me in with the people that aren't you and that will be good enough. Deal?

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2014 03:01 PM

Christ, never argue with 1020.

He'd sooner shank his grandmother than say something positive about Smith...

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2014 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 10674880)
Yea, the 49ers fans are the only people who think Smith didn't cost us that game and they are apparently the only ones that can READ.

Lump me in with the people that aren't you and that will be good enough. Deal?

Hey, that's no way to talk to the QB Whisperer.

jd1020 06-06-2014 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10674883)
Christ, never argue with 1020.

He'd sooner shank his grandmother than say something positive about Smith...

God damn right!

I'd get about 300k if I make it look like she fell on the knife.

Tribal Warfare 06-06-2014 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10674885)
Hey, that's no way to talk to the QB Whisperer.

Cassel right? Ohh, I was correct on that

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2014 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10674891)
Cassel right? Ohh, I was correct on that

Congrats on discovering the elephant in the closet.

Tribal Warfare 06-06-2014 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCD (Post 10674894)
Congrats on discovering the elephant in the closet.

Yep, that's what I thought you were trumpeting his greatness because of the Arrowhead on his helmet during that period too.

BigMeatballDave 06-06-2014 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 10674896)
Yep, that's what I thought you were trumpeting his greatness because of the Arrowhead on his helmet during that period too.

Being the QB of my favorite team, I hoped he'd play well.

Not sure why you're struggling with this.

Sweet Daddy Hate 06-06-2014 03:42 PM

Come on, Dorsey; balls of steel mang. Don't cave.

BossChief 06-07-2014 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 10674691)
I'm sorry you are stupid enough to believe that missing a guy as WIDE OPEN as Gray has nothing to do with the throw.

Alex sees it. You dont.

Give my condolences to your immediate family.

As quoted a few posts ago, Alex said the same thing I did...that they had 0 reps together and Gray himself said he slowed up.

Now, go find new ways to kill your own mother and make it look like an accident to collect insurance money.

RINGLEADER 06-07-2014 07:37 AM

If Alex Smith was going to play like he did in the second half of the season I've got no problem with him at QB. Unfortunately for him he also played like crap for half the season. You just don't know what you've got in him - even after almost 10 years in the league.

Let him prove he can do it consistently or GTFO...

Chief Roundup 06-07-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10675981)
If Alex Smith was going to play like he did in the second half of the season I've got no problem with him at QB. Unfortunately for him he also played like crap for half the season. You just don't know what you've got in him - even after almost 10 years in the league.

New system, new coaches, new players. Nah there was not a single understandable reason the offense wasn't as good at the beginning of the season.

Rausch 06-07-2014 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10676077)
New system, new coaches, new players. Nah there was not a single understandable reason the offense wasn't as good at the beginning of the season.

Another huge help was playing the Broncos twice, Chargers twice, the Raiders, and the Redskins.

Wallcrawler 06-07-2014 09:36 AM

I hope Alex makes bank just for the entertainment factor of watching the great and wise armchair GM's and QB's on this forum go into full on meltdown mode.

Christ, its going to be ****ing spectacular.

Your tears are delicious, keep them coming along with your pathetic whines and moans. Fight. Its better when you fight. Oh, and should you lose consciousness from the stress of your oral diarrhea, Alex will still be here when you wake up.

I do find it funny though, that while everyone loves to pile on with the Cyrus Gray play (Cyrus Gray shouldn't have even taken a ****ing snap in that game), nobody puts any blame on Dwayne Bowe for getting his big ass out-muscled, out-worked, and out-played by a little ass cornerback down the sideline on a fantastic throw by Alex Smith on 4th down that would have given us FG range, and likely the game.

But hey, lets talk about how a guy not being where he's supposed to be on a timing route having nothing to do with the throw being incomplete, and its all on the QB to know that the receiver is going to plant his head firmly in his ass and slow down on what would be a td, so throw it shorter.

****ing brilliant.

Sandy Vagina 06-07-2014 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 10676092)
I hope Alex makes bank just for the entertainment factor of watching the great and wise armchair GM's and QB's on this forum go into full on meltdown mode.

Christ, its going to be ****ing spectacular.

Your tears are delicious, keep them coming along with your pathetic whines and moans. Fight. Its better when you fight. Oh, and should you lose consciousness from the stress of your oral diarrhea, Alex will still be here when you wake up.

I do find it funny though, that while everyone loves to pile on with the Cyrus Gray play (Cyrus Gray shouldn't have even taken a ****ing snap in that game), nobody puts any blame on Dwayne Bowe for getting his big ass out-muscled, out-worked, and out-played by a little ass cornerback down the sideline on a fantastic throw by Alex Smith on 4th down that would have given us FG range, and likely the game.

But hey, lets talk about how a guy not being where he's supposed to be on a timing route having nothing to do with the throw being incomplete, and its all on the QB to know that the receiver is going to plant his head firmly in his ass and slow down on what would be a td, so throw it shorter.

****ing brilliant.

LMAO ... loved it! :thumb:

Dave Lane 06-07-2014 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 10674225)

Against teams that actually had a defense.

Marcellus 06-07-2014 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10676167)
Against teams that actually had a defense.

There was no huge difference in defenses played 1st half vs 2nd half of the season.

You hate is so blind you cant remember the difference between the QB's our defense faced and the defenses our offense faced 1st half vs 2nd half of the season.

One of those arguments has merit and the other is stupidity.

Hammock Parties 06-07-2014 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wallcrawler (Post 10676092)
nobody puts any blame on Dwayne Bowe for getting his big ass out-muscled, out-worked, and out-played by a little ass cornerback down the sideline on a fantastic throw by Alex Smith on 4th down that would have given us FG range, and likely the game.

****ing brilliant.

I remember Bowe always ****ed up Cassel's best plays, too! Damn that Dwayne Bowe! Always ruining our potential HOF QBs!

Mav 06-07-2014 02:04 PM

Quote:

Eagles 0
Titans 0
Raiders 0
Texans 0
Bills 0
Colts 0
Chargers 0

He had better numbers across the board than Kaepernick.

Less talent around him as well.

Shrugs.

Mav 06-07-2014 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RINGLEADER (Post 10675981)

You know exactly what you have in Alex Smith.

A hard worker. A true team guy, a leader. A guy who never complains, always shows up, is a lot tougher than people want to get credit for.

His negatives will always be his ultra conservative nature. he would rather let the players around him make the plays and shine, than he himself make them.

Although he showed on several occasions last year, that he indeed could make plays if needed.

the 3rd down at philly on a short week being just one of the plays. but, being totally up against it after losing Jamaal Charles in the playoff game is the shining example.

RunKC 06-07-2014 02:10 PM

I would be in favor of seeing how he does this year. Look at the first half of the season at least.

If he doesn't want to do that, then he clearly doesn't have confidence in himself to keep it up.

Mav 06-07-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10676451)
I would be in favor of seeing how he does this year. Look at the first half of the season at least.

If he doesn't want to do that, then he clearly doesn't have confidence in himself to keep it up.

I don't think that Alex Smith cares either way. I think Alex Smith's agents care.

I think that a deal will get done before the season starts. Probably like a Cutler or Stafford deal, in the 3 year range.

RunKC 06-07-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10676464)
I don't think that Alex Smith cares either way. I think Alex Smith's agents care.

I think that a deal will get done before the season starts. Probably like a Cutler or Stafford deal, in the 3 year range.

I'd be okay with that for 3 years. I'm just curious who they want to take over in a few years.

BigMeatballDave 06-07-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10676464)

Probably 5 or 6 years so they can spread out the signing bonus.

Mav 06-07-2014 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 10676471)
I'd be okay with that for 3 years. I'm just curious who they want to take over in a few years.

Either Tyler, or Aaron?

jd1020 06-07-2014 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10675926)
Now, go find new ways to kill your own mother and make it look like an accident to collect insurance money.

Grandmother. You inbred hobo. Learn to read.

Halfcan 06-07-2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10676441)
He had better numbers across the board than Kaepernick.

Less talent around him as well.

Shrugs.

Kape doesn't play for the chiefs-I could care less what Kape does or how much he is overpaid. It doesn't change the facts Alex could not manage to throw a TD in 40% of his games last year. He got to sit out a game then had a nice half in the Colts game before choking. He is paid more than he should be this year so should be happy.

Chiefs WAAAAYYYYY over paid on the last QB that was here-and I don't want to see them do it again until Alex wins a ****ing playoff game. His winning % during the season-how he did VS. which QB doesn't matter to me-I want to win a ****ing playoff game period. I have serious doubts Alex can do that.

Halfcan 06-07-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10676446)
You know exactly what you have in Alex Smith.

A hard worker. A true team guy, a leader. A guy who never complains, always shows up, is a lot tougher than people want to get credit for.

His negatives will always be his ultra conservative nature. he would rather let the players around him make the plays and shine, than he himself make them.

Although he showed on several occasions last year, that he indeed could make plays if needed.

the 3rd down at philly on a short week being just one of the plays. but, being totally up against it after losing Jamaal Charles in the playoff game is the shining example.

Blah blah blah- win a ****ing playoff game Alex or move on and get a big fat nest egg somewhere else-so we can get a QB that will get it done.

Chief Roundup 06-07-2014 03:23 PM

Quote:

Eagles 0
Titans 0
Raiders 0
Texans 0
Bills 0
Colts 0
Chargers 0

You people like to move goal posts around to fit your statement. You said he had 4 in a row. He did not have 4 games in a row without a touchdown early in the season. He did have 3 in a row early in the season.

Halfcan 06-07-2014 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 10675926)
As quoted a few posts ago, Alex said the same thing I did...that they had 0 reps together and Gray himself said he slowed up.

Doesn't matter if Alex would have hit him in the numbers instead of lofting a floater. If Alex hits him in the chest and Gray drops it- it would be 100% on him.

Oh sorry I didn't get enough reps with this guy in practice so I missed the biggest pass in the game. Bullshit. He was wide open and most QBs in the NFL would have made that pass instead of excuses.

Halfcan 06-07-2014 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 10676552)
You people like to move goal posts around to fit your statement. You said he had 4 in a row. He did not have 4 games in a row without a touchdown early in the season. He did have 3 in a row early in the season.

My bad- it was 3 games in a row but felt like 6. Yes it was a new system, ect, ect, ect. We have heard all the reasons why he was ineffective a lot of the games. So instead of backing up the Brinks truck to his front door and hope for the best- make him play out his deal and make sure he can get it done. It makes no sense to extend a QB that is so up and down until he Proves he can win when it counts.

Chief Roundup 06-07-2014 03:32 PM

Quote:

Eagles 0
Titans 0
Raiders 0
Texans 0
Bills 0
Colts 0
Chargers 0

Oh and you threw the Chargers game in that he didn't even start or play in like none of the starters except Fisher IIRC.
But just keep on trying to paint the picture to be as bad and bleak as you think and want it to be.

Chief Roundup 06-07-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10676566)
My bad- it was 3 games in a row but felt like 6. Yes it was a new system, ect, ect, ect. We have heard all the reasons why he was ineffective a lot of the games. So instead of backing up the Brinks truck to his front door and hope for the best- make him play out his deal and make sure he can get it done. It makes no sense to extend a QB that is so up and down until he Proves he can win when it counts.

I have no problem with making him play out his deal. I have said we should do this all along. I have also stated that I don't want to pay him more than 18 and if that is required then let his ass walk.

milkman 06-07-2014 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10676558)
Doesn't matter if Alex would have hit him in the numbers instead of lofting a floater. If Alex hits him in the chest and Gray drops it- it would be 100% on him.

Oh sorry I didn't get enough reps with this guy in practice so I missed the biggest pass in the game. Bullshit. He was wide open and most QBs in the NFL would have made that pass instead of excuses.

We lost that playoff game because of Alex Smith.

RobBlake 06-07-2014 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10676558)

lmao, youre honestly putting that n Alex. I swear, it doesn't matter what he does, you'll still bitch. If anyone is to blame besides the defense, that would be for Bowe unable to drag his foot when he had plenty of space to do so.

WHat were the chiefs record before alex and reid go there?

BigMeatballDave 06-07-2014 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milkman (Post 10676585)
We lost that playoff game because of Alex Smith.

Not sure if serious...

Hammock Parties 06-07-2014 04:32 PM

WELL WE SURE DIDN'T WIN IT BECAUSE OF HIM

Mav 06-07-2014 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10676549)
Kape doesn't play for the chiefs-I could care less what Kape does or how much he is overpaid. It doesn't change the facts Alex could not manage to throw a TD in 40% of his games last year. He got to sit out a game then had a nice half in the Colts game before choking. He is paid more than he should be this year so should be happy.

Chiefs WAAAAYYYYY over paid on the last QB that was here-and I don't want to see them do it again until Alex wins a ****ing playoff game. His winning % during the season-how he did VS. which QB doesn't matter to me-I want to win a ****ing playoff game period. I have serious doubts Alex can do that.

Um. You had the first pick in the draft. Alex had something to do with the chiefs turn around.

Me mentioning kaep. Simply, alex Smith had better numbers, look at what kaep got paid. That's the market.

Mav 06-07-2014 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Count Zarth (Post 10676659)
WELL WE SURE DIDN'T WIN IT BECAUSE OF HIM

You lost it because of Kendrick Lewis.

mcaj22 06-07-2014 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavericks Ace (Post 10676857)
You lost it because of Kendrick Lewis.

I cant WAIT for the defense to lose the same exact way this season and Kendrick Lewis is long gone to be able to use the "Kendrick Lewis Excuse" as to why the Chiefs give up touchdowns in 25 seconds.

very soon the Kendrick Lewis excuse will be "Bob Sutton's fault"

SAUTO 06-07-2014 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 10674678)
So he was not paid $525,000 to hold the clipboard?? Yes it was not his choice to sit- but he was still paid for it which further changes his numbers in his favor. Fact is he added nothing to that game but was still paid for it, much like a lot of the chiefs players last year. That is part of it. Alex has made what 57 million so far-so asking him to prove he can do better than not throwing a TD in 6 of the 15 games he started (40%) ineffective rate including one game on the bench and being ineffective in the last half of a horrible playoff loss-is not asking too much while he will still be cashing a fat 8 million check.

Jesus Christ What a stupid ****ing post.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mav 06-07-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10676870)
I cant WAIT for the defense to lose the same exact way this season and Kendrick Lewis is long gone to be able to use the "Kendrick Lewis Excuse" as to why the Chiefs give up touchdowns in 25 seconds.

So, Lewis is a good safety?

BigMeatballDave 06-07-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcaj22 (Post 10676870)

Why the **** would you wanna re-live that shit?

OnTheWarpath15 06-07-2014 06:04 PM

Kendrick Lewis is the easy scapegoat for people unwilling to admit that the entire defense - along with the offense - played like shit for the last 26 or so minutes of that game.

BigMeatballDave 06-08-2014 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath58 (Post 10676940)
Kendrick Lewis is the easy scapegoat for people unwilling to admit that the entire defense - along with the offense - played like shit for the last 26 or so minutes of that game.

He's a scapegoat because he ****ing sucks.