ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Coffee, yes or no? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284556)

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 11:30 AM

Coffee, yes or no?

Since my college days, I've not been much of a coffee drinker. Of course, back then I'd make coffee with H2-Joe (caffeinated water).

But lately I've been very interested in cold brew coffee, as it significantly diminishes the acidity and bitterness and brings out more of the coffee's subtle flavors that get lost with hot brew. I made a gallon of cold brew concentrate, and I've really been enjoying it these last few days.

So I'm interested in your take on coffee.

Do you like it?

Hot or cold?

What brands and strengths do you like?

Do you take cream or sugar?

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person?

How do you feel about Starbuck's?

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's?

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee?

When did you start drinking coffee?

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee?

Do you only drink it on weekends?

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee?

Fish 06-23-2014 11:36 AM

Hot.
Cains.
Cream.
Every damn day.
Starbucks coffee itself is great, but their prices are insane and their stores are hipster idiot hangouts.
McDonalds coffee sucks.
Dunkin is decent.
Started coffee in late 20s.
No booze.
Every day.
**** decaf.

Third Eye 06-23-2014 11:37 AM

I'm 37 and I've never had so much as a sip of coffee. Love the smell though.

Rausch 06-23-2014 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10709990)

You know how I know yer' gay?...

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 11:38 AM

I'm also interested if anyone insists on grinding their own beans and how they go about doing it.

My wife is the real coffee drinker, and she only buys whole beans. We have a burr grinder from Cuisinart to do the dirty work.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Third Eye (Post 10709990)

So with it smelling so yummy, how come you've never even tasted it?

Old Dog 06-23-2014 11:39 AM

Yes
Hot
Various, but I probably drink Folgers more than anything since that's what we have here at work. Weekends is usually Dunkin' Donuts
down to about 2 pots a day (used to be much more)
Meh
I have and they're good IMO
Like it
At about 10 or so, used to drink it in the winter walking to school in a travel mug and just never stopped
occasioinally....bourbon
no
not a big fan of decaf

cdcox 06-23-2014 11:39 AM

Do you like it? Yes.

Hot or cold? Hot.

What brands and strengths do you like? Not that particular. At home I make Starbucks Sumatra in a Keurig using the self-refillable coffee holder. French press makes a better cup, but with more clean-up effort. At work I drink Maxwell House from the community pot.

Do you take cream or sugar? No. Black.

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? Pot-a-day.

How do you feel about Starbuck's? It's okay. I make it at home, but it is too expensive to buy it out very often.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? McDonald's regular coffee is fine.

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? I don't see anything special about it.

When did you start drinking coffee? I was an off and on daily drinker since around 1980. Then I would drink it on a daily basis when home for summer while working. I've been a full time daily drinker since around 1990.

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? Never.

Do you only drink it on weekends? No, everyday.

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? Waste of time. I will drink decaf with dessert after 8:00 PM on occasion, but will often drink regular under those conditions too.

cdcox 06-23-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10709993)
I'm also interested if anyone insists on grinding their own beans and how they go about doing it.

My wife is the real coffee drinker, and she only buys whole beans. We have a burr grinder from Cuisinart to do the dirty work.

I grind my own at home using that ubiquitous Braun blender style grinder. At work I just pour and drink.

Third Eye 06-23-2014 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10709995)
So with it smelling so yummy, how come you've never even tasted it?

My parents are both the stereotypical "don't talk to me until I've had my coffee" kind of folks. I think that shaped my views on it when I was younger. Additionally, I was a bit of a precocious lad in my late teens and my first time through college. I didn't want to add any more habits than I already had.

Third Eye 06-23-2014 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 10709992)
You know how I know yer' gay?...

Did you turn around?

mr. tegu 06-23-2014 11:43 AM

I do not like coffee. However, the Keurig is worth it for the hot chocolate.

Bugeater 06-23-2014 11:46 AM

Do you like it? Yes

Hot or cold? Hot

What brands and strengths do you like? Not picky

Do you take cream or sugar? Need creamer, sugar not as important

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? I could drink it all day

How do you feel about Starbuck's? **** that place. Horribly overpriced and the employees are absurdly overenthusiastic. You're giving me a cup of ****ing coffee, quit acting like you just pulled my only child from a burning car.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? No

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? The wife has bought it, and I don't notice any difference from the store brands. Probably because of the creamer I put in it.

When did you start drinking coffee? When I was 19 and working in a hotel, everyone seemed obsessed with it. So I tried it and suddenly understood why.

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? I like some Kahlua or caramel schnapps in it on occasion.

Do you only drink it on weekends? **** no, I drink it every ****ing day.

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? **** you.

srvy 06-23-2014 11:48 AM

yes
hot
8 o'clock but can do Max house
Black
so much it would scare ya
Drank once wasn't impressed in taste or price
its ok
don't but there coffee and DD isn't near me
16 or 17 steady
sometimes but rarely
7days a week day or night. Do not I repeat do not come down from a caffeine high
try not to Doc says look into it.

Predarat 06-23-2014 11:51 AM

Do you like it?
Hell yes
Hot or cold?
Hot - cold 'coffee' is like calling hot dogs BBQ
I usually drink the basics,love Columbia. For strength I like medium/strong or strong. Hate anything less then medium.
Only for the occasional flavored coffee.
Pot a day
Only get it occasionally, that stuff is mostly for hipsters.
Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's?
Not bad, I avoid McDs for the most part.
Not bad but overrated.
Late teens.
Rarely
I drink coffee 387 days of the year
Worst thing ever.

loochy 06-23-2014 11:53 AM

Coffee tastes like poop.

Coffee smells like poop.

KC native 06-23-2014 11:55 AM

I like it hot.

Drink it black if they are good beans (only thing I buy at central market is coffee beans bcuz teh selection). If you use good beans, then no creamer or sugar required.

Not a starbucks fan but will drink it.

Never had Duncan and McDonald's suck.

**** decaff

I usually drink coffee during the work week.

Started drinking in my mid 20's.

Never add booze.

KC native 06-23-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 10710025)
Coffee tastes like poop.

Coffee smells like poop.

You eat poop.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 11:56 AM

If anyone's interested, America's Test Kitchen's coffee taste test (medium roast):

Quote:

In a blind tasting, 21 Cook’s Illustrated staff members tasted seven whole-bean medium-roast coffees from a list of top-selling national brands compiled by the Chicago-based market research firm SymphonyIRI Group. We sampled the coffees without milk or sweeteners. Coffee Analysts, an independent laboratory in Burlington, Vermont, analyzed each coffee to obtain its Agtron rating (a measure of roast darkness), the number of defective green “quaker” beans, pH level, and moisture content (the ideal target is between 0.5 percent and 3 percent). Prices were paid in Boston-area supermarkets.

Co-winners:

Peet’s Coffee Café Domingo
By far the darkest roast in the lineup, this sample came across as “extremely smooth” and “bold-tasting,” with a “stronger finish” than other samples. It tied for the smallest number of defective beans and had low *acidity and optimal moisture. Its “rich,” “chocolate,” and “toast” flavors make it the perfect brew for those who want a break—but not too much of one—from ultradark French roasts.

Millstone Breakfast Blend
This “satiny” coffee was “lemony” and “very *enjoyable,” with a “slightly nutty aftertaste.” It “hit the middle of the road” for “acidity, earthiness, and complexity.” As with our winner, lab results showed low acidity, few defective beans, and ideal moisture. It’s a good choice for those who enjoy brighter, livelier medium-roast flavors.

Recommended with Reservations

Caribou Coffee Daybreak
Some tasters were able to detect a “slight berry taste” with “black tea–like” undertones in this coffee. For others, it was “flat,” “bland,” and “not very distinctive.” “Smells nutty but no taste,” is how one taster put it. The lab results indicated extremely low moisture in the beans, which almost certainly weakened the brew.

Starbucks Blonde Veranda Blend
The “approachable” taste of this offering from the dark-roast giant of coffee companies “goes down pretty smooth,” though some thought it “*one-*dimensional,” like “cardboard.” Said one taster: “It doesn’t have that weight-on-your-tongue feeling that I like in coffee.” Lab tests confirmed the problems, *finding low moisture and some defective beans.

Green Mountain Coffee Our Blend
This sample had “a little dried fruit toward the finish but that’s it,” as one taster put it. Though “robust upfront,” it finished with an overly “flat, lemony” taste. Lab results supported these impressions, showing relatively high acidity and not much moisture, which limited its extraction.

Not Recommended

Dunkin’ Donuts Original
This medium-roast stalwart, the lightest roast in our tasting, was so “sharp and bright and very acidic” that it had one taster pleading, “I need milk!” Another deemed it an “acid bomb”; lab tests confirmed that this was the most acidic coffee we tasted. A high *number of defective beans gave it weird “cherry/almond” off-tastes.

Eight O’Clock Coffee Original
Our least favorite coffee was “sour” and “dirty-*tasting—like socks,” with a “fermented taste.” This brew was also “slightly metallic,” “like coffee you’d get at a diner.” With the highest number of defective beans of all the coffees we sampled, it tasted “sweetly acidic”; the fermented flavor likely came from its high level of moisture.

Donger 06-23-2014 11:57 AM

Do you like it? Yes.

Hot or cold? Hot.

What brands and strengths do you like? Tully's French, Extra Bold.

Do you take cream or sugar? Both.

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? Cup.

How do you feel about Starbuck's? I'd like to burn them all to the ground.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? No.

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? Never had it.

When did you start drinking coffee? When I was in high school.

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? No.

Do you only drink it on weekends? No.

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? Anathema.

Cannibal 06-23-2014 11:57 AM

Yes.

We grind the beans in the morning and brew enough for 2 cups each. I have my coffee home with sugar free creamer, usually hazelnut or French vanilla.

At work I power down a couple of cups black as I don't care to waste the time with the creamer.

Molitoth 06-23-2014 11:57 AM

Coffee snobs are going to hate me but I enjoy Any kind of coffee, as long as it has some of this in it:

http://www.coupondad.net/wp-content/...rations_ID.gif

Donger 06-23-2014 11:58 AM

Ugh, flavored creamer...

Cannibal 06-23-2014 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 10710038)
Coffee snobs are going to hate me but I enjoy Any kind of coffee, as long as it has some of this in it:

http://www.coupondad.net/wp-content/...rations_ID.gif

All of those look awesome. But I don't want the sugar they contain.

Fish 06-23-2014 12:02 PM

Good creamer can make just about any coffee drinkable. Only really good coffee, can I drink without cream.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10710020)
Do you like it?
Hot or cold?
Hot - cold 'coffee' is like calling hot dogs BBQ

Why do you think it's not coffee? Just because that's not how you like it? To stick with your analogy, it's actually more like saying hot dogs that aren't fired on a grill aren't hot dogs. It's all the same stuff - coffee grounds and water - just prepared differently.

I think it could be argued that cold-brewed coffee actually tastes more like real coffee than hot. The reason is that traditional hot-brew methods destroy flavor compounds.

Once I make my cold-brew concentrate, I'll fill my cup with ice, add one packet of Splenda, fill about 2/3 with concentrate and top with milk or half-and-half. It's very tasty, and infinitely more refreshing than hot coffee, if you ask me.

Amnorix 06-23-2014 12:04 PM

I never drank coffee until law school. Didn't really like it. Learned to like it, however, as I really needed it at the time. Now, of course, I have a low-key addiction so without caffeine I get the typical headaches.

Hot or cold: Yep, I do both.

I have two cups a day at work, one medium size on weekends, typically. I will drink more in the evening socially.

I'm a DD (Dunkin' Donuts) guy. DD dominates in New England. I don't care much for Starbucks. Too strong. I have no problem with the McDonald's coffee now. It used to be complete swill, but now it's basically fine. Not great, but not bad either.

I take it black, but with extra sugar. It's too bitter without it.

I definitely do mixed drinks involving coffee. Irish Coffee and such are great, and I keep Bailey's Irish Cream on hand for those that want it at my place.

Somewhat unusually, I don't drink it in the mornings. In the morning I have tea, and then I have my coffee in the early afternoon. If I don't have it, I'm junk by 3:00...

I have NO idea what the point of decaf coffee is. I like coffee just fine, but I drink it for the caffeine, not because I think it's so unbelievably delicious.

TLO 06-23-2014 12:06 PM

Do you like it? - Do I like what?

Hot or cold? - I'm fine right now.

What brands and strengths do you like? - I like Mt Dew. Code Red strength.

Do you take cream or sugar? - I usually buy it.

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? - **** YOU

How do you feel about Starbuck's? - Hipster hangout

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? - Stop asking me these personal questions.

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? - GO **** YOURSELF

When did you start drinking coffee? Am I being detained?

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? - Am I free to go?

Do you only drink it on weekends? - STFU

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? - Stop making food threads fatty.

loochy 06-23-2014 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC native (Post 10710029)
You eat poop.

only when it does not taste or smell like coffee

Amnorix 06-23-2014 12:08 PM

My old man lived on coffee and beer. He drank coffee with breakfast, with lunch, with dinner, and had it on his regular breaks at work. I could never really understand that. I actually don't like coffee with food. I find that it tends to ruin the taste of whatever I'm eating, unless it's something that goes well with coffee (tiramisu is one fine example).

MOhillbilly 06-23-2014 12:08 PM

Hot or cold
Black
Strong enough to float lead

Anything over a quart gets me into trouble.

Bearcat 06-23-2014 12:11 PM

Do you like it? Yes
Hot or cold? Mostly cold. Thai iced coffee is great stuff and I buy the flavored Starbucks double shot stuff, too.
What brands and strengths do you like? See above.
Do you take cream or sugar? Yeah, like the smell of coffee, but don't care so much for plain/black.
Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? Gotten away from caffeine everyday... maybe once or twice a week.
How do you feel about Starbuck's? Works for me.
Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? Nope
What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? Nope
When did you start drinking coffee? After college... a roommate had an espresso machine, which got me hooked for a while.
Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? I've added coffee to home brewed beer.
Do you only drink it on weekends? Usually late in the week.
How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? Meh.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 10710059)
My old man lived on coffee and beer. He drank coffee with breakfast, with lunch, with dinner, and had it on his regular breaks at work. I could never really understand that. I actually don't like coffee with food. I find that it tends to ruin the taste of whatever I'm eating, unless it's something that goes well with coffee (tiramisu is one fine example).

I really only have one iced coffee at breakfast. Goes fine with toast and eggs.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10710070)
Do you like it? Yes
Hot or cold? Mostly cold. Thai iced coffee is great stuff and I buy the flavored Starbucks double shot stuff, too.
What brands and strengths do you like? See above.
Do you take cream or sugar? Yeah, like the smell of coffee, but don't care so much for plain/black.
Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? Gotten away from caffeine everyday... maybe once or twice a week.
How do you feel about Starbuck's? Works for me.
Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? Nope
What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? Nope
When did you start drinking coffee? After college... a roommate had an espresso machine, which got me hooked for a while.
Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? I've added coffee to home brewed beer.
Do you only drink it on weekends? Usually late in the week.
How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? Meh.

I think the chai you're talking about is actually tea. The iced chai latte at Starbuck's is freaking insane. I have to force myself not to have one. They are so delicious, but so bad for you. A venti has like 60+ grams of sugar.

The Franchise 06-23-2014 12:17 PM

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-_ZVeK2wJ1t...sugar+milk.jpg

Stewie 06-23-2014 12:17 PM

Hot
100% Colombian (pretty consistent profile across brands).
Straight-up, no additives
Used to grind beans, but don't do that any longer. The bean grinder is now a spice grinder.

There is some vile coffee out there. I remember a few years ago I bought Folger's Classic Roast and threw it out after one pot.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 10710085)

ROFL

I know several people like this. They'll take a standard coffee cup, fill it 2/3 full with coffee and add 4-6 packs of sugar and 2-3 creamers. I don't even understand the point.

Bearcat 06-23-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710077)
I think the chai you're talking about is actually tea. The iced chai latte at Starbuck's is freaking insane. I have to force myself not to have one. They are so delicious, but so bad for you. A venti has like 60+ grams of sugar.

No, Thai... coffee, ice, add cream and sugar until it tastes like candy. It's the perfect drink for a spicy Thai meal.

The Franchise 06-23-2014 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710090)
ROFL

I know several people like this. They'll take a standard coffee cup, fill it 2/3 full with coffee and add 4-6 packs of sugar and 2-3 creamers. I don't even understand the point.

I take mine with 2 sugars and some creamer. I'll drink it black if I absolutely have to...but I prefer my coffee with sugar and cream.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10710094)
No, Thai... coffee, ice, add cream and sugar until it tastes like candy. It's the perfect drink for a spicy Thai meal.

Ahhhh. :thumb:

But that chai iced tea latte is pretty ****in' outstanding.

Predarat 06-23-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710053)
Why do you think it's not coffee? Just because that's not how you like it? To stick with your analogy, it's actually more like saying hot dogs that aren't fired on a grill aren't hot dogs. It's all the same stuff - coffee grounds and water - just prepared differently.

I think it could be argued that cold-brewed coffee actually tastes more like real coffee than hot. The reason is that traditional hot-brew methods destroy flavor compounds.

Once I make my cold-brew concentrate, I'll fill my cup with ice, add one packet of Splenda, fill about 2/3 with concentrate and top with milk or half-and-half. It's very tasty, and infinitely more refreshing than hot coffee, if you ask me.

Maybe I have just had bad experiences with it, but I have never liked it. It just does not seem right to me. Maybe I will try your way, the stuff I had was store bought.

Chiefnj2 06-23-2014 12:27 PM

For those of you who are pot a day drinkers, do you get really bad caffeine withdrawal if forced to skip a day?

For the poll: Hot, little bit of milk, pot a day, D&D is good, Starbucks is overpriced and over-rated, no booze in it, no decaf.

htismaqe 06-23-2014 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Smoke (Post 10710057)
How do you feel about Starbuck's? - Hipster hangout

Not here. The hipster's hangout mostly at the locally-owned shops.

Starbuck's is a place for suits to network...

htismaqe 06-23-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10710110)
For those of you who are pot a day drinkers, do you get really bad caffeine withdrawal if forced to skip a day?

Not really, no.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10710109)
Maybe I have just had bad experiences with it, but I have never liked it. It just does not seem right to me. Maybe I will try your way, the stuff I had was store bought.

The most important part of iced coffee is that it's cold brewed. Some place sell hot-brewed coffee that's been allowed to cool and poured over ice. That will yield a pretty bad tasting cup.

htismaqe 06-23-2014 12:28 PM

I drink espresso almost exclusively. 4 to 6 double shots a day. :eek:

Predarat 06-23-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10710110)

For the poll: Hot, little bit of milk, pot a day, D&D is good, Starbucks is overpriced and over-rated, no booze in it, no decaf.

Yes, headaches, quesyness, irritability. Like a ****ing preggo!

Chiefnj2 06-23-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10710112)
Not really, no.

I get bad headaches if I skip it. Maybe it's just me.

blaise 06-23-2014 12:32 PM

I drink like 8-12 cups a day, if you count a cup as a coffee maker sized cup. 4 in the Milk, no sugar.

Hot or cold. I like both. I add quite a bit of milk so mine is never very hot.

I drink Starbucks in the morning usually. Italian, French, Pike's or Veranda. Seattle's best in the afternoon usually.
Their coffee at the location is very strong. I've read it has as much as 3X the caffeine as other coffee. I usually just get plain coffee or iced coffee Americano.

McDonalds ice coffee is ok - it serves it's purpose. But if you have them add a flavor it tastes like chalk.

Dunkin Donuts probably has the best iced coffee, but it can vary widely by location. If the employees or manager at one suck then it will be crap.

I will say this - it was hard to quit. I quit once for a month or so. The first two days I was literally immobilized. Like I was a heroin addict on withdrawl. Worse than any flu I've ever had. Headache so bad that no amount of Tylenol or aspirin did anything at all for it.
But then I ended up drinking it again.

Predarat 06-23-2014 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710113)
The most important part of iced coffee is that it's cold brewed. Some place sell hot-brewed coffee that's been allowed to cool and poured over ice. That will yield a pretty bad tasting cup.

I am almost 100% sure that is what I had.

Sorce 06-23-2014 12:34 PM

Do you like it? Yes

Hot or cold? Hot

What brands and strengths do you like? I like roasterie but i'm not picky

Do you take cream or sugar? Sugar

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? Cup or two a week

How do you feel about Starbuck's? how do you feel about being poor?

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? Don't go to McDonalds

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? I'm aware they have it, never tried it.

When did you start drinking coffee? Probably round 24ish

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? On the weekends i'll add irish cream or occasionally irish whisky.

Do you only drink it on weekends? Whenever I feel like it.

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? My wife can't have caffeine so on weekends that's normally what we got.

Bearcat 06-23-2014 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10710113)

Yeah, I went to a Seattle's Best once and that's exactly what the guy did and it was awful... just as bitter as a hot cup of black coffee, and the sugar and cream couldn't save it.

Why Not? 06-23-2014 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fried Meat Ball! (Post 10709993)

Grind my own. Drink at least 2-3 cups per day. Black only.

Chai tea latte with 2 shots of espresso is the only Starbucks coffee I will occasionally drink

Why Not? 06-23-2014 12:37 PM

Also decaf is a dirty word in my mind but that's all my wife drinks

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Predarat (Post 10710119)
I am almost 100% sure that is what I had.

You should try some cold brew sometime. You may not like it. My wife was very skeptical, but she's drinking the crap out our cold brew now.

For a little, take about 1 3/4 c. coarse ground coffee and pour over 3.5 c. cold filtered water. Let it sit for 8-16 hours. Strain and refrigerate.

Then try a mix like I do: Cup of ice, 2/3 full of concentrate, top with milk or half and half. Sweeten however you like, I do 1 Splenda packet just to take the edge off the bitterness.

Report back, if you don't mind. If you don't like it, my apologies. But now you know. :)

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 10710125)
Yeah, I went to a Seattle's Best once and that's exactly what the guy did and it was awful... just as bitter as a hot cup of black coffee, and the sugar and cream couldn't save it.

Yeah, and sometimes they just pour hot coffee over ice. That's worse. Just diluted and nasty.

blaise 06-23-2014 12:39 PM

Oh man. I hate Splenda in coffee. It tastes like poison.

Bearcat 06-23-2014 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10710117)

I always got bad headaches if I skipped a day, so in high school and college I'd rarely do that... went off of it completely for a while, which reset my tolerance to the point that one cup of coffee or a shot of espresso early in the morning will keep me up at night (as opposed to HS/college, where I'd drink a Mountain Dew before going to bed and sleeping for 12 hours straight).

So, the downsides suck enough for me now that I'll have some caffeine late in the week, usually on a Friday so I won't care if it screws up my sleep that night... and it keeps my tolerance down so it actually has the desired effect, and I don't worry about caffeine headaches. #gettingoldsucks

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10710135)
Oh man. I hate Splenda in coffee. It tastes like poison.

Really? I've never noticed any off tastes. But I feel the same way about Stevia.

htismaqe 06-23-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 10710117)

No, it's not just you. Lots of people get caffeine headaches. I just don't have an issue with it.

I drink a shitload of caffeine all week and almost none on weekends, so it doesn't really bother me.

htismaqe 06-23-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 10710127)
Chai tea latte with 2 shots of espresso is the only Starbucks coffee I will occasionally drink

If I got to Starbucks, this is what I get. :thumb:

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10710148)
No, it's not just you. Lots of people get caffeine headaches. I just don't have an issue with it.

I drink a shitload of caffeine all week and almost none on weekends, so it doesn't really bother me.

When I was hooked I'd get awful headaches. I quit caffeine cold turkey when I got to the point where I couldn't get to sleep without it. That was rough.

Now, I have very little caffeine at all. Besides the iced coffee I have at breakfast and the occasional iced tea I have when I get to work (2-3 per week, roughly), I drink nothing but water.

Graystoke 06-23-2014 12:53 PM

Do you like it?Oh I cant live without it

Hot or cold?HOT

What brands and strengths do you like?I like Seattle's Best LEVEL 4

Do you take cream or sugar? BLACK

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person?Multiple Cups till 11 AM

How do you feel about Starbuck's?Overrated

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's?Cheaper to

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee?Overrated

When did you start drinking coffee?12

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee?Why

Do you only drink it on weekends?No

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee?How do you feel about non alcoholic Beer?

scho63 06-23-2014 01:00 PM

I love medium to light roast such as Dunkin Donuts or 7-11. I hate Starbucks.

I have a hiatal hernia with gastritis so if I go overboard with too much caffeine, I have real issues with my stomach. Also, too much caffeine causes palpitations and anxiety for me so I need to be careful.

Love to drink in the winter but not nearly as much in the summer. 2-3 cups in the winter and I try to limit to one cup in the summer.

I drink it with half and half only, no sugar.

Not a fan of the flavored drinks or iced coffee.

Why Not? 06-23-2014 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 10710149)
If I got to Starbucks, this is what I get. :thumb:

Ah yes. A man of good taste. A rarity indeed, 'round these parts

007 06-23-2014 01:05 PM

no likey

srvy 06-23-2014 01:07 PM

Have these taste testers tasted a lot of dirty docks.?

I have had some those on list. I like green mountain a lot. Millstone bb is for pussy coffee deniers. Most bb suck toads ass.

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10710199)
Have these taste testers tasted a lot of dirty docks.?

I have had some those on list. I like green mountain a lot. Millstone bb is for pussy coffee deniers. Most bb suck toads ass.

I find myself confused by a good 73 percent of your posts. This one, only moderately confused.

Buehler445 06-23-2014 01:11 PM

Do you like it?Only during the winter. When it gets hot I can't shed the heat.

Hot or cold? When I make it, hot. I do like some frappccinos from Starbucks but I don't have them often.

What brands and strengths do you like? Folgers. Not real sure on the strength. Dunkin Donuts is better but I'm a cheap bastard

Do you take cream or sugar? French Vanilla coffee mate. I know. It sucks. Again, cheap bastard.

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? thermos cup then a small vacuum bullet. I need it to wait on me. I'm not a sit down and have a coffee guy.

How do you feel about Starbuck's? Overpriced. But I'll have 4-5 a year.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? When they first came out. They sucked nutsack then. I hate mcdonalds so I don't go.

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee?The brew your own stuff is good. Haven't had it in the store.

When did you start drinking coffee? Early 20s

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? no.

Do you only drink it on weekends?I only drink it during the winter

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? Whats the point?

thecoffeeguy 06-23-2014 01:11 PM

Do you like it? Yes.

Hot or cold? Both.

What brands and strengths do you like? Peets coffee

Do you take cream or sugar? Both.

Are you a cup a day coffee kind of person or a pot a day kind of person? One to two cups.

How do you feel about Starbuck's? Cant stand Starbucks.

Have you tried McDonald's premium coffees, which I hear are notably better than Starbuck's? No.

What about Dunkin' Donuts' coffee? Never tried it.

When did you start drinking coffee? College.

Do you ever add any adult beverages to your coffee? No.

Do you only drink it on weekends? No.

How do you feel about decaffeinated coffee? Good for times in the late afternoon, so i can sleep at night.

Pablo 06-23-2014 01:17 PM

Why in the name of **** would any human being ever consume decaf coffee?

Fire Me Boy! 06-23-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10710240)

Maybe they like the flavor of coffee but can't handle the caffeine for health purposes?

hometeam 06-23-2014 01:20 PM

smells good, good in ice cream.

Other than that its ****ing terrible.

KC_Lee 06-23-2014 01:21 PM

Do you like it?
Oh dear God yes!!!

Hot or cold?
Hot

Honestly, given the state of my finances whatever is on sale.

Yes

One pot a day

It's fine, don't go to SB that much but don't hate on it like others might.

McD <> Good

Not bad but not the jaw-dropping awesome, toe curling good that some folks seem to think it is.

Early 20's, about the same time I started going to bars. Hmmm...cause & effect perhaps?

Nah, but not opposed to it.

I only drink coffee on days that end in "y"

It's like totaling your car and then filling it with gas.

Hays 06-23-2014 01:27 PM

Black
Medium-Dark Roast

Pretty much can't go wrong.

BucEyedPea 06-23-2014 01:30 PM

Jamaican Blue Mountain is my staple. From Costco. I ground a bunch up for little gifts at Christmas for some people. Put in a brown bag with my own custom designed label. Everyone loved the taste. It's nice and mellow for morning coffee or anytime.

I've been changing things up lately out of boredom and because I got the Starbucks sampler box at Christmas.

Care Verona - Starbucks YES! Chocolate notes.
Colmbia Narino - Starbucks- Herbal layers.
Ground fine.

I love caffè latte.

I have just plain black in morning. A couple of cups.

On occasion I have it with cream after a dinner when out to eat.

Not an expresso lover though.

Why Not? 06-23-2014 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 10710240)

I ask my wife this often. Have never received a satisfactory answer

blaise 06-23-2014 01:44 PM

Any of you buy the drinks for the person behind you at Starbucks?

Pepe Silvia 06-23-2014 01:45 PM

Only if I'm a walking zombie.

srvy 06-23-2014 01:48 PM

I always here about ATK but frankly what kind of people go there to take the taste tests?

Same that go to Quintiles? Means nothing to me.