ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Poison Ivy (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284798)

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 01:32 PM

Poison Ivy

How allergic are you to it?

I got it again. When I was younger I would have it for all 12 months at times. Highly allergic. Eyes swollen shut and things like that.

It's been 8 years, but I managed to get it again, although I'm not surprised. I knew I was going to get when I was in a certain situation at work.

What do you do to help relieve the ivy or kill the shit so it doesn't last a full two weeks under your skin?

Rasputin 07-04-2014 01:34 PM

Quit wiping your ass with it!

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 10730654)
Quit wiping your ass with it!

Yeah I've had it on my ass and ass cheeks. Dick as well. Basically every square inch of my body I've had it at one time.

cosmo20002 07-04-2014 01:48 PM

Strong men aren't allergic to stuff.
It's about being further evolved than most and having an immune system that doesn't freak out about harmless intruders. Allergic to poison ivy? It is allergic to me.

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10730675)
It's about being further evolved than most and having an immune system that doesn't freak out about harmless intruders. Allergic to poison ivy? It is allergic to me.

Half of all people are allergic to poison ivy. Most of them just don't know it because they're city boy panzy asses who never get close enough to things like poison ivy.

On another note, I better never see you complaining about being sick or having stomach cramps. Be more evolved than that.

LoneWolf 07-04-2014 02:05 PM

I wash the area with Dawn dish soap, pour rubbing alcohol over it, and cover with Calamine lotion. It's all about removing the oil when it comes to Poison Ivy.

Renegade 07-04-2014 02:08 PM

Wash with soap right away, take benadryll, and rub anit itch cream (or lotion) on the area. Works like a charm for me, and I have had it all my life

Lonewolf Ed 07-04-2014 02:14 PM

All I have to do is hear the words or read them, and I start to itch. It is the bane of my existence.

Donger 07-04-2014 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10730652)
How allergic are you to it?

I got it again. When I was younger I would have it for all 12 months at times. Highly allergic. Eyes swollen shut and things like that.

It's been 8 years, but I managed to get it again, although I'm not surprised. I knew I was going to get when I was in a certain situation at work.

What do you do to help relieve the ivy or kill the shit so it doesn't last a full two weeks under your skin?

Do you not know what poison ivy looks like or something?

huffmd15 07-04-2014 02:17 PM

Draw a hot bath and put at least a cup of bleach in the water. Take a good stiff scrubber in the tub with ya and go to town.

You'll hate life, but the poison ivy will be the last thing you're worried about.

Bugeater 07-04-2014 02:17 PM

I've never had it.

eDave 07-04-2014 02:21 PM

I used to get poison ivy really, really bad. Swollen eyes, crusted up/scabby nostrils. Ultimately got it all over my dick too (gotta piss). It was just awful and would cry my eyes out every time I got it. Augh. Hate thinking about it.

My mom found some medicine which was in a small vial and I put it in OJ and drank it down. Worked great and seemed to build up my immunity.

Sorry that I cannot remember the name but a pharmacist would surely know.

Wash your hands before you piss.

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huffmd15 (Post 10730711)
Draw a hot bath and put at least a cup of bleach in the water. Take a good stiff scrubber in the tub with ya and go to town.

You'll hate life, but the poison ivy will be the last thing you're worried about.

This sounds like a horrible idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 10730716)
I used to get poison ivy really, really bad. Swollen eyes, crusted up/scabby nostrils. Ultimately got it all over my dick too (gotta piss). It was just awful and would cry my eyes out every time I got it. Augh. Hate thinking about it.

My mom found some medicine which was in a small vial and I put it in OJ and drank it down. Worked great and seemed to build up my immunity.

Sorry that I cannot remember the name but a pharmacist would surely know.

Wash your hands before you piss.

Dammit. I need that vial.

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 10730710)
Do you not know what poison ivy looks like or something?

Really didn't have a choice in this case. It was work related. Although I did put on a full body suit and covered my face before entering the wooded area. And it got on the top of my foot. Now it's on the back of my legs. Not too bad yet. Just hoping it doesn't spread more.

huffmd15 07-04-2014 02:26 PM

[QUOTE=KCrockaholic;10730719]This sounds like a horrible idea.

It is a horrible idea. It's mostly for the entertainment of everyone else when you admit to making such a bad choice.

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 02:29 PM

I will say one time about 10 years ago I literally shaved the top layer of skin off my arm with a knife because the poison ivy was driving me so insane. Just took the knife began cutting across my arm and all the little ooze bubbles popped and it was a ****ing disgusting mess. But after that it did go away pretty quickly surprisingly. Horrible memory, but I couldn't even feel the pain from cutting my skin at all. It was just relief.

I thought for sure I'd have scarring but I didn't. My arm healed and the knife never left a scar.

eDave 07-04-2014 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10730719)
Dammit. I need that vial.

I think this is it:

http://www.zanfel.com

Donger 07-04-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10730723)
Really didn't have a choice in this case. It was work related. Although I did put on a full body suit and covered my face before entering the wooded area. And it got on the top of my foot. Now it's on the back of my legs. Not too bad yet. Just hoping it doesn't spread more.

Oh. That sucks sorry

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 10730733)
I think this is it:

http://www.zanfel.com

That stuffs expensive. I might check it out at wal mart.

eDave 07-04-2014 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10730737)
That stuffs expensive. I might check it out at wal mart.

Yea, upon further review. This aint it. This is a wash.

This is the one: http://www.amazon.com/Boericke-Tafel.../dp/B0001APXWY

I'm ordering you some. PM me with your address.

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 10730745)
Yea, upon further review. This aint it. This is a wash.

Yeah I figured your mom wouldn't put that in OJ. But if that stuff works then that'd be nice anyways.

'Hamas' Jenkins 07-04-2014 03:15 PM

Never gotten it. I got some poison oak on my arm once when I was 14, but a short course of steroids took it right away.

srvy 07-04-2014 03:16 PM

Poison Ivy doesnt spread its the oil on your skin and clothes. Anything that came in contact needs wash in hot ass water. Your body as said dawn is good to cut that oil. There is nothing that will stop the poison ivy it will run its course in 2 weeks. Dont scratch and infect it. Use Ivy dry and hydro-cortisone to relieve itching and try to dry it out. If your swollen up and its everywhere on your body go to Dr. They can give you the steroid shot but they are reluctant too.

Nature of my work we are in it alot and have to chop a line through the stuff.

NWTF 07-04-2014 03:21 PM

When I was a kid I would get it really bad every summer. Practically whole body covered in calamine lotion at times to heal. Then there was a period (10 or so years) that I was not exposed to it so I never got it.

Now for the past 8 or so years im in and around it year round but somehow I became immune to it. I dont even try to avoid it anymore. In fact if its in my way I just remove it with my bare hands like I would any other weed thats in my way.

I tested it a few years back when one of the guys at work ran into a thick patch of it so i went over and grabbed a bunch of the leaves and smashed the little berries on the adult plants in my hands. Never got anything. Guess your body can build up a defense for it over time.

WhawhaWhat 07-04-2014 03:26 PM

http://dailycosplay.com/2012/November/23.jpg

KCrockaholic 07-04-2014 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10730787)
Poison Ivy doesnt spread its the oil on your skin and clothes. Anything that came in contact needs wash in hot ass water. Your body as said dawn is good to cut that oil. There is nothing that will stop the poison ivy it will run its course in 2 weeks. Dont scratch and infect it. Use Ivy dry and hydro-cortisone to relieve itching and try to dry it out. If your swollen up and its everywhere on your body go to Dr. They can give you the steroid shot but they are reluctant too.

Nature of my work we are in it alot and have to chop a line through the stuff.

My right leg is a little swollen right now. I'm not fretting just yet though. I'll have to see if anything else pops up. Right now it's all lower body.

So I guess I should wash my shoes that I wore in the ivy, in the washer?

Buzz 07-04-2014 04:29 PM

Never had it until college running a mow crew, hit it with a weed eater and sprayed the juice up my sides. Had huge 1/2" blisters and had to take steriods. Now I get it if the wind blows right. Used to wipe laquer thinner on it to dry it out, probably wouldn't recommed that now.

jrowe 07-04-2014 08:41 PM

Take a combination of Zantac and Zyrtec. Both are 24 hour pills and both suppress the Histone response. I had poison ivy bad a few years back. I went to get a steroid pack from the doctor and this was the prescription instead. Within 24 hours I was symptom free. Keep taking them for 10 days and make sure you don't have any of the oil on you or anything else. It works like nothing I've seen

KCrockaholic 07-06-2014 06:44 AM

The itching is starting to drive me nuts. At this point, got it on both my legs. Drinking last night helped me ignore the itching. I woke up at 6am and I can't go back to sleep. I'm waiting for Target to open so I can get some anti itch cream and Zyrtec. Any good anti itch brands at the Targ? I'm about 4 full days in to the poison ivy and its starting to drive me nuts. Wearing shorts/pants right now really sucks. It's on the back of my knee.

BullJunkandIron 07-06-2014 06:52 AM

Take poke roots, cube them, boil them in water, put in mason jar. Apply the juice to affected area. Dries the piss out out of the affected area. My brother and I did this growing up in Ozark County, MO. We lived 12 miles south of Gainesville, Mo. Miles down a dirt road and no neighbor for miles. First aid or medicine for the kids? Half the time they probably imagined they didn't have kids.

KCrockaholic 07-06-2014 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadillo Skin (Post 10732446)
Take poke roots, cube them, boil them in water, put in mason jar. Apply the juice to affected area. Dries the piss out out of the affected area. My brother and I did this growing up in Ozark County, MO. We lived 12 miles south of Gainesville, Mo. Miles down a dirt road and no neighbor for miles. First aid or medicine for the kids? Half the time they probably imagined they didn't have kids.

Any certain kind of poke roots?

What really sucks at this point is I don't want to get sweaty with this crap, but I reallllly need to workout after what I did this weekend.

BullJunkandIron 07-06-2014 07:36 AM

The kind you make poke salad out of.

American Pokeweed

Scientific name: Phytolacca americana

KCrockaholic 07-06-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armadillo Skin (Post 10732464)
The kind you make poke salad out of.

American Pokeweed

Scientific name: Phytolacca americana

http://duplin.lostsoulsgenealogy.com...keweedcure.htm Found this. Might give that a try.

BullJunkandIron 07-06-2014 07:47 AM

Good health to you.

damaticous 07-06-2014 08:10 AM

I'm highly allergic to poison ivy as well. I've been bedridden with it before.

After years of trying to find something that helped I ran across Domboro. It was the only thing that helps when I get it.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/dom...od5012-product

Oh! And don't get hot and sweaty. It'll make the itching worse.

Dayze 07-06-2014 08:38 AM

I'm very sensitive to it.

however, one of my friends from childhood could wipe it all over and nothing would ever happen.

philfree 07-06-2014 08:56 AM

I would get it really bad as a kid so my mom took me to the doctor and he gave me series of shots to make me immune. It worked for the most part for many years. If I came in contact with it I'd get a bump or two and that would be it. Except a couple years ago I got into some and broke out pretty bad. I ended up buying a product off the internet called All Stop. There's what is basically some emulsifying soap and then some itch cream. I also went to the doc and he put on prednisone and then Hydroxyzine HCL for the itch. I couldn't do the prednisone it was like being on some serious speed.

So get some All Stop or just get some emulsifying soap and calamine lotion.

srvy 07-06-2014 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 10732526)
I'm very sensitive to it.

however, one of my friends from childhood could wipe it all over and nothing would ever happen.

I read every time you come in contact with you lose a bit of resistance.

bdj23 07-06-2014 10:08 AM

Not very, I'm allergic to everything but poison ivy. I got into some during a round of golf. I had a little itchy red rash on my bicep that quartizone cream knocked out in two days.

srvy 07-06-2014 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 10732599)
Not very, I'm allergic to everything but poison ivy. I got into some during a round of golf. I had a little itchy red rash on my bicep that quartizone cream knocked out in two days.

cortisone doesn't do anything but stop the itch.

My guess is you got into something else like stinging nettle (itch weed). The rash with poison ivy doesn't go away in 2 days.

bdj23 07-06-2014 12:23 PM

It looked like ivy. The rash was there for weeks, at first I thought it was heat rash from work but it wouldn't go away

gblowfish 07-06-2014 12:32 PM

My wife is extremely allergic. Take a Benedryl before bed, and it should help it clear up quicker.

Dayze 07-07-2014 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 10730797)

I had a chick that looked like that give me a rash once. Turns out it wasn't poison ivy.

Dayze 07-07-2014 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 10732560)
I read every time you come in contact with you lose a bit of resistance.

Perhaps. I just remember coming within like 10' of the shit and somehow catching it (exaggeration of course), and the dude laid down rolling around in the stuff.

**** that.

KCrockaholic 07-07-2014 05:54 AM

I just walked into work and showed my boss. Immediately yelled "Oh my God! You're not working until you see a doctor about that stuff". I looked at her and said "Are you sure it's that bad? This is pretty minor for me".

blaise 07-07-2014 06:04 AM

I am very allergic. When I get it now I wipe everything I may have touched with Clorox wipes. Door knobs, light switches, my steering wheel, door handles. Throw the clothes I was wearing when I got it in the trash. If my shoes are old consider just throwing them out, too.
If that oil gets on something it can keep getting back on your hands.
I also scrub underneath my fingernails with some kind of brush.

KCrockaholic 07-07-2014 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaise (Post 10733945)
I am very allergic. When I get it now I wipe everything I may have touched with Clorox wipes. Door knobs, light switches, my steering wheel, door handles. Throw the clothes I was wearing when I got it in the trash. If my shoes are old consider just throwing them out, too.
If that oil gets on something it can keep getting back on your hands.
I also scrub underneath my fingernails with some kind of brush.

Ya I'm pretty tempted to throw away my shoes right now. Would probably be a good idea.

KCrockaholic 07-07-2014 06:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is this steroid shot worthy? I've never had one. Those yellow blisters are about half an inch sticking out. I have it like this in other spots as well.

Graystoke 07-07-2014 07:10 AM

I use this with good success.

Before I go into anyplace where it might be.

http://bluestarofnj.com/catalog/imag...%20(Small).JPG

After I have been in a place it might have been.

http://www.tcr-online.com/catalog/Iv..._Towelette.jpg

They provide it out at work so I always have some handy.

BullJunkandIron 07-07-2014 07:18 AM

I'm at work now. I feel safe from poison ivy and most anything else working around 98% Nitric Acid.

kepp 07-07-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10733952)
Is this steroid shot worthy? I've never had one. Those yellow blisters are about half an inch sticking out. I have it like this in other spots as well.

If its that bad, then yes, get the shot. I hear it works wonders.

KCrockaholic 07-07-2014 08:03 AM

Damn, why doesn't my work have those towelettes? They have Technu available so they probably think that's good enough

Graystoke 07-07-2014 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10734007)
Damn, why doesn't my work have those towelettes? They have Technu available so they probably think that's good enough

Yeah, I give these towelettes away like candy, since my work provides them. I have some Ivy in my yard, so when I mow I do both Pre and Post wipes.

KCrockaholic 07-07-2014 09:38 AM

Just left the Doc. He popped 3 of my ping pong ball sized blisters. Then prescribed steroid pills and steroid cream. We'll see what happens.

Dartgod 07-07-2014 09:50 AM

As a kid I was horribly allergic to it. Once we were at Pomme De Terre lake and the lake was somewhat flooded. A bunch of us kids were swimming in an area that had previously been above water and was full of poison ivy. I was covered from head to toe with that crap. Just an awful miserable experience.

Then for a long time I was immune to it. But I started becoming allergic again about 3 years ago.

**** you poison ivy!

ThaVirus 07-07-2014 09:56 AM

Where do you run into the stuff? I feel like I was always out in the woods growing up and I don't recall ever having it..

Halfcan 07-07-2014 09:58 AM

I have been fighting it for a week- got it mowing a couple of yards and chopping up some trees in my yard. Sucks!!

raybec 4 07-07-2014 10:27 AM

Acetone

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-07-2014 10:29 AM

Uma Thurman.

thebrad84 07-07-2014 11:08 AM

Best thing to do to relieve the itch is spray the area with the hottest water you can withstand. Itches like crazy at first, but then slowly subsides and then you will be itch free for hours.

LoneWolf 07-07-2014 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCrockaholic (Post 10734108)
Just left the Doc. He popped 3 of my ping pong ball sized blisters. Then prescribed steroid pills and steroid cream. We'll see what happens.

I hope you picked up some laxatives while you were out. Those steroid pills will plug you up.

BullJunkandIron 07-07-2014 11:37 AM

It's a delicacy to goats, they eat it like crazy. Roots and all.

KCrockaholic 07-07-2014 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 10734124)
As a kid I was horribly allergic to it. Once we were at Pomme De Terre lake and the lake was somewhat flooded. A bunch of us kids were swimming in an area that had previously been above water and was full of poison ivy. I was covered from head to toe with that crap. Just an awful miserable experience.

Then for a long time I was immune to it. But I started becoming allergic again about 3 years ago.

**** you poison ivy!

I can only imagine. That'd be horrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10734134)
Where do you run into the stuff? I feel like I was always out in the woods growing up and I don't recall ever having it..

I've gotten it from dogs multiple times. This time was in the woods. Other times I swear it was just a windy day and the woods in the pasture were blowing my way. You're probably not as sensitive to it as most.

Halfcan 07-07-2014 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebrad84 (Post 10734226)
Best thing to do to relieve the itch is spray the area with the hottest water you can withstand. Itches like crazy at first, but then slowly subsides and then you will be itch free for hours.

Bad idea-yes it feels good-but then it blisters up and spreads.

KCrockaholic 07-17-2014 09:38 PM

This shit's driving me bonkers. The stuff on my legs is healing, and is nearing gone. But I somehow managed to get a few spots on my hands, fingers, wrists and a little bit on forearm. Just got back from a movie and felt a bad itch on my thigh. More poison ivy bumps popping up. I've been pretty irritable throughout the process. Now I'm just pissed about my thigh having spots.

Buzz 07-17-2014 10:03 PM

it's bad this year, almost grabbed a patch weeding the side of the house.

suzzer99 07-17-2014 10:11 PM

I wasn't allergic at all until I got it in it real bad one time as a teenager. Ever since then I've been deathly allergic - which didn't help my amateur yard work business I had in my late teens and early 20s.

One thing a lot of people don't know is if you wipe it off with soap and water within 30 minutes or so, you won't get it at all. It takes a while for the oil to get into your skin. Even just water really helps.

Also Ivy Dry once you get it helps. But the best thing is a strong sedative.

Pepe Silvia 07-17-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10730675)

Do you also swim in raw sewage?

LoneWolf 07-18-2014 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 10752252)
Do you also swim in raw sewage?

He does spend a lot of time in the DC forum. So the answer is yes.

Easy 6 07-18-2014 05:30 AM

I've got a little bit of it on both ankles right now, one of the hazards of going fishing in shorts and flipflops.

Fresh calamine every day keeps it in check, no biggie.

NewChief 07-18-2014 07:24 AM

I used to be highly highly allergic. When I'd get it, we'd just go ahead and get a cortisone shot from the doctor. I'd be laid up in bed, doped up on benadryl and covered in anti-itch cream for days.

At some point in my life (I think in my 20s), the allergy went away. I can still get little isolated patches, but it's nothing like what it used to be.

ThaVirus 07-21-2014 04:43 PM

I didn't want to make a new thread over something so trivial, but apparently I'm allergic to wasp stings.

I got stung today and broke out in hives, itched alllllll over, and even had some chest pains. It was the most uncomfortable feeling I remember having- maybe only rivaled by an ear infection.

Dave Lane 07-21-2014 04:48 PM

Get in shower break all blisters rinse with dilute bleach water and lots of soap. Best results for me gone in 2-3 days normally. Scrub the shit out of it.

Dave Lane 07-21-2014 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10758523)
I didn't want to make a new thread over something so trivial, but apparently I'm allergic to wasp stings.

I got stung today and broke out in hives, itched alllllll over, and even had some chest pains. It was the most uncomfortable feeling I remember having- maybe only rivaled by an ear infection.

Try an antihistamine like Benadryl might help.

ThaVirus 07-21-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10758534)
Try an antihistamine like Benadryl might help.

Yeah, they say that'll do the trick.

I was at work and so busy that I wasn't able to get to some medication until the symptoms all wore off. It took about 2 hours from the time I got stung to get back to 100%.

I actually thought I was going to die at one point. I'd never dealt with an allergic reaction before.

srvy 07-21-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 10758545)
Yeah, they say that'll do the trick.

I was at work and so busy that I wasn't able to get to some medication until the symptoms all wore off. It took about 2 hours from the time I got stung to get back to 100%.

I actually thought I was going to die at one point. I'd never dealt with an allergic reaction before.

Man oh man don't ever wait to go the hospital when stung and a reaction like that. It can kill you and hope your Dr told you this. Next time your reaction could be worse.

Eureka 07-21-2014 06:03 PM

I used to rub it on my hands and arms then go wrestle with people. Turns out that isn't so popular with fellow campers!

SAUTO 07-21-2014 06:12 PM

Never had it, in fact I tore down a bunch of vines that they said was poison ivy and never got anything. Guess I'm not allergic
Posted via Mobile Device

Buzz 07-21-2014 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JASONSAUTO (Post 10758629)
Never had it, in fact I tore down a bunch of vines that they said was poison ivy and never got anything. Guess I'm not allergic
Posted via Mobile Device

I find it hard to spot, anytime I see a leafy plant I think poison ivy and usually I'm wrong.

http://tactical-survivor.com/wp-cont...y-pictures.jpg

kccrow 07-21-2014 08:17 PM

Well... good luck with all that hahah... I kid... But here's two plants you should familiarize yourself with if you're always venturing into the ivy patches...

Jewelweed

You can use jewelweed as somewhat of a preventative measure or use it if you've think you've been exposed. Split the stem, rub it all over.

Milkweed

You can use this to help with the itch and the blisters. Rub the milky sap on the rash and blisters, it'll stop the itch and dry up the blisters.

If you're getting that severe of a reaction and regularly exposing yourself, those plants won't be far away and will save you from your sorrow.