ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Ocala Florida fines business owner for flying "Dont Tread on Me" flag (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=286408)

Deberg_1990 09-09-2014 08:16 PM

Ocala Florida fines business owner for flying "Dont Tread on Me" flag

A Florida small business owner said Monday the city of Ocala has threatened to fine him if he does not immediately take down a Gadsden flag currently displayed outside his store.

Gear Barrel owner Keith Greenberg told TheBlaze that the city said he was permitted to fly the American flag outside his store, but prohibited from displaying anything else outside his business which specializes in selling knives.

“This is a shock,” he said. “Honestly, I feel like this is Russia. I’ve been around the world … this is what you expect in really closed countries where there is no freedom of expression. Not here — so it’s shocking.”

“This is a shock. Honestly, I feel like this is Russia.”
Share:
The flying of the flag appears to be prohibited under the city code of ordinance, section 110-131.

Greenberg told TheBlaze he faces being fined up to $250-$500 per day if he does not comply. He said the potential fines would be devastating to his young small business, which he opened in May.

“The city of Ocala is demanding I take this down,” he told TheBlaze.

Greenberg posted a video to YouTube earlier this month trying to raise awareness of the move being made by the city.

“We find ourselves in a sad place where local municipalities are stepping all over people’s freedom with the signing of a pen,” he said.

Greenberg told TheBlaze he was even more perplexed by the city’s demands because he has spotted other flags being flown at nearby establishments.

Photographs forwarded to TheBlaze show an Ocala car dealership flying the Mexican flag and an Irish bar displaying the Irish flag. It was not clear whether or not the city had also issued similar notices to the other businesses.

The city’s code enforcement office could not immediately be reached Monday night for comment by TheBlaze.

The small business owner said his next move will be to address the city council at their next meeting.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...his-is-russia/

<iframe width="620" height="349" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GCbfOkQILk8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dayze 09-09-2014 08:24 PM

Holder is on the way to sort this out, I'm sure.

gblowfish 09-09-2014 08:24 PM

If he doesn't like the law, he should petition the city of Ocala to change it. Otherwise, he should obey the laws that are in place. That's what good citizens do.

notorious 09-09-2014 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10898828)
If he doesn't like the law, he should petition the city of Ocala to change it. Otherwise, he should obey the laws that are in place. That's what good citizens do.

Yep.

It is a cool flag with a great story behind it, though.

BigMeatballDave 09-09-2014 08:42 PM

Ocala

Bugeater 09-09-2014 08:45 PM

I am failing to feel the outrage here.

TLO 09-09-2014 08:49 PM

I'd rather have Luv bring me grape Gatorade than read another Deberg thread.

Dave Lane 09-09-2014 09:04 PM

Dieberg thread.

Pasta Little Brioni 09-09-2014 09:09 PM

I would rather fly the flag outta my ass than read another one of these abortion of a threads.

TribalElder 09-09-2014 09:23 PM

Dude, thread of the year

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 10898828)

I would say freedom of speech supercedes said law. Still, not able to get too worked up about this.

Eleazar 09-09-2014 09:37 PM

I don't understand why it is hard for him to understand. The city ordinance is what it is. Get it changed if you don't like it.

But I guess the publicity might be more valuable than the fine money.

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 10899223)
I don't understand why it is hard for him to understand. The city ordinance is what it is. Get it changed if you don't like it.

But I guess the publicity might be more valuable than the fine money.

It sounds like an illegal ordinance, though. I mean it sure looks like he just wants attention, but he has a point.

cosmo20002 09-09-2014 10:11 PM

Cities have rules about signage and shit outside of businesses? Must be the first of its type in the nation!

Next thing, they'll be making rules about how some businesses can only be located in certain "zones" in the city other businesses need to be located in other "zones."

ClevelandBronco 09-09-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 10898765)
Greenberg told TheBlaze he faces being fined up to $250-$500 per day if he does not comply. He said the potential fines would be devastating to his young small business, which he opened in May.

I'm thinking there might be a way to avoid those devastating fines.

Quote:

The small business owner said his next move will be to address the city council at their next meeting.

See, that's your problem right there, Mr Greenberg. Your next move is to take down the flag. Your next move after taking down the flag is to address the city council at their next meeting.

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10899303)
Cities have rules about signage and shit outside of businesses? Must be the first of its type in the nation!

Next thing, they'll be making rules about how some businesses can only be located in certain "zones" in the city other businesses need to be located in other "zones."

Only allowing people to fly American flags? Flying a flag (which in this case is patriotic anyway, not that it should matter) isn't protected free speech? The anti-outrage crowd is every bit as crazy as the pro-outrage crowd.

Saul Good 09-09-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10899303)

The one valid point he had was about other establishments not being cited for having Irish, Mexican, whatever flags. If true, he is being singled out via selective enforcement.

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 10899311)
See, that's your problem right there, Mr Greenberg. Your next move is to take down the flag. Your next move after taking down the flag is to address the city council at their next meeting.

That's what I would do, but it seems to me he is exercising his constitutional rights. I would rather just get the ordinance done away with quietly rather than make a big todo, but he certainly shouldn't ultimately be responsible for those fines. (Assuming he's not misrepresenting the nature of the violation)

Saul Good 09-09-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899316)
That's what I would do, but it seems to me he is exercising his constitutional rights. I would rather just get the ordinance done away with quietly rather than make a big todo, but he certainly shouldn't ultimately be responsible for those fines. (Assuming he's not misrepresenting the nature of the violation)

Question about this constitutional right to free speech...

Do you think that means that we simply get to say whatever we want, or do you think it means that we get to say whatever we want and also to do so whenever we want, wherever we want?

BucEyedPea 09-09-2014 10:23 PM

And people have been calling Putin a fascist?

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10899321)
Question about this constitutional right to free speech...

Do you think that means that we simply get to say whatever we want, or do you think it means that we get to say whatever we want and also to do so whenever we want, wherever we want?

Of course there are reasonable restrictions. I fail to see how restricting the flying of a flag qualifies. It's not like he's planting the thing in other people's lawns.

Saul Good 09-09-2014 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10899322)
And people have been calling Putin a fascist?

Good point. Threatening a fine over flying a flag is far more extreme than anything Putin has ever done.

cosmo20002 09-09-2014 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10899315)
The one valid point he had was about other establishments not being cited for having Irish, Mexican, whatever flags. If true, he is being singled out via selective enforcement.

It said it wasn't clear if the other places had received notices.

Maybe official national flags are allowed, I don't know.
I'll bet that even in regard to a US flag, there are rules about the size and whatnot.

Saul Good 09-09-2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899325)
Of course there are reasonable restrictions. I fail to see how restricting the flying of a flag qualifies. It's not like he's planting the thing in other people's lawns.

This isn't a free speech issue if it applies to all flags rather than just political ones.

It's illegal for me to build a fence across my sidewalk. Freedom of speech doesn't give me the right to build a fence across my sidewalk as long as I write a political message on it.

Having this flag up isn't illegal because of what it says. It's illegal because it's a flag, and there is a law against having flags.

Saul Good 09-09-2014 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10899329)
It said it wasn't clear if the other places had received notices.

Maybe official national flags are allowed, I don't know.
I'll bet that even in regard to a US flag, there are rules about the size and whatnot.

Hence the "if true" disclaimer in my post...

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10899331)
This isn't a free speech issue if it applies to all flags rather than just political ones.

It's illegal for me to build a fence across my sidewalk. Freedom of speech doesn't give me the right to build a fence across my sidewalk as long as I write a political message on it.

Having this flag up isn't illegal because of what it says. It's illegal because it's a flag, and there is a law against having flags.

I suppose, but fences aren't inherently vehicles for expression. Flags are. Also, they allow American flags. So in your example the fence would be legal if it had stars and stripes on it.

cosmo20002 09-09-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899316)

Him flying this flag is no different than putting up a sign or something, and there are rules regarding signage (size, content, etc.) in probably every city in the country. I doubt these city ordinances have been deemed unconstitutional.

ClevelandBronco 09-09-2014 10:35 PM

Quite frankly, despite the fact that the Gadsden flag is an especially political flag that screams free speech, I suspect that his motives for flying it are somewhat advertising related rather than purely political. Of course, only he would really know whether my suspicion is true.

BucEyedPea 09-09-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10899326)
Good point. Threatening a fine over flying a flag is far more extreme than anything Putin has ever done.

That wasn't the comparison I was making. Just that some were calling Putin a fascist. You do know what the word means, right? I am talking about controls on speech. You don't seem to have a problem with the man in the article saying he feels like this is Russia, now do you.

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10899334)
Him flying this flag is no different than putting up a sign or something, and there are rules regarding signage (size, content, etc.) in probably every city in the country. I doubt these city ordinances have been deemed unconstitutional.

It's hard to say without knowing the language of the ordinance. If it is as he says, and only official American flags are allowed, then that's allowing a particular form of political expression and not another.

Again, I think he should just protest to the city and get it handled that way. Still, I think I understand the source of the outrage, if not the degree.

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 10899335)
Quite frankly, despite the fact that the Gadsden flag is an especially political flag that screams free speech, I suspect that his motives for flying it are somewhat advertising related rather than purely political. Of course, only he would really know whether my suspicion is true.

Even if not, I am almost certain his reasons for trying to incite an online campaign are advertising related. That's probably a big reason I don't really care that much.

BucEyedPea 09-09-2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 10899335)

Advertising free speech is allowed too. But gun buyers are protective of this right under the 2nd Amendment so it gets tied up with politics. Let's not forget our Framers were also discussing political speech when they wanted to protect free speech.

It's not like this is an obscenity charge against morals which supposed to be a local matter. My suspicion is that someone in Ocala may not like it because of the political message because they don't agree with it.

BucEyedPea 09-09-2014 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899340)
Even if not, I am almost certain his reasons for trying to incite an online campaign are advertising related. That's probably a big reason I don't really care that much.

If that was his motive, then it's pretty brilliant. He's getting press on it. That outta stir up the gun crowd!

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10899343)
If that was his motive, then it's pretty brilliant. He's getting press on it. That outta stir up the gun crowd!

Meh. Unless nearly all of his 17,000 views are loca tea party members, I doubt it's gonna be worth the fines.

ClevelandBronco 09-09-2014 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10899342)
Advertising free speech is allowed too. But gun buyers are protective of this right under the 2nd Amendment so it gets tied up with politics. Let's not forget our Framers were also discussing political speech when they wanted to protect free speech.

It's not like this is an obscenity charge against morals which supposed to be a local matter. My suspicion is that someone in Ocala may not like it because of the political message because they don't agree with it.

Yes, obviously, advertising is speech and all speech (at least in theory) should be protected within reason. Reason not being a standard unit of measure, regulation will exist to regulate it.

I think you're correct when you guess that someone bristled and now Mr. Greenberg finds himself afoul of an attempt at reasonable regulation.

We should be grateful to the founders that all he has to do for now is take down his flag and petition for a redress of this grievance.

BucEyedPea 09-09-2014 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 10899350)
Yes, obviously, advertising is speech and all speech (at least in theory) should be protected within reason. Reason not being a standard unit of measure, regulation will exist to regulate it.

It's more like exceptions to the rule or are a case of conflicting rights—like protecting life. Can't put people at risk if someone yells "fire" in a crowded room. It's also a lie. Libel and slander damage others. So I don't get where this idea of regulating speech comes from when it's not a whole lot.

Quote:

I think you're correct when you guess that someone bristled and now Mr. Greenberg finds himself afoul of an attempt at reasonable regulation.
Got it! But I don't think it's any thing close to "reasonable" regulation especially in a time when incorporation of the BoRs has been the continuing trend. I could see it if it was flown too high or blocked something else important but not being told he has to fly an American flag. I'm rusty on the origins of this flag, but iirc it surfaced during the American Revolution. The pieces of snake rep the colonies I believe.

Quote:

We should be grateful to the founders that all he has to do for now is take down his flag and petition for a redress of this grievance.
I doubt a bunch of men who committed treason toward the crown, their govt at the time would advocate for such an act. Afterall these are men who threw tea in a harbor and pamphleteered against the crown in violation of local laws.

Where's your feisty spirit tonight CB?

cosmo20002 09-09-2014 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899338)
It's hard to say without knowing the language of the ordinance. If it is as he says, and only official American flags are allowed, then that's allowing a particular form of political expression and not another.

Again, I think he should just protest to the city and get it handled that way. Still, I think I understand the source of the outrage, if not the degree.

Here it is. https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10003

US flags are allowed.

As are "Governmental or religious flags or insignia and holiday decorations incidental to the business and customarily associated with any national, religious or local holiday."
This might cover the Mexican and Irish flags as this doesn't specify "US governmental."

But it also seems that pretty much any other flag is OK as long as it is not more than 200 square inches.

Based on the pic in the OP, this looks like a size issue.
Frankly, it doesn't seem that obtrusive to me and probably the code enforcement guy was bored that day, but I agree with the general rules in principle.

BucEyedPea 09-09-2014 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899346)
Meh. Unless nearly all of his 17,000 views are loca tea party members, I doubt it's gonna be worth the fines.

Unless he rallies a bunch of him to his cause where they all come out for him.

ClevelandBronco 09-09-2014 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 10899359)
It's more like exceptions to the rule are a case of conflicting rights—like protecting life. Can't put people at risk if someone yells "fire" in a crowded room. It's also a lie. Libel and slander damage others. So I don't get where this idea of regulating speech come from when it's not a whole lot.

Got it! But I don't think it's any thing close to "reasonable" regulation especially in a time when incorporation of the BoRs has been the continuing trend. I could see it if it was flown too high or blocked something else important but not being told he has to fly an American flag. I'm rusty on the origins of this flag, but iirc it surfaced during the American Revolution. The pieces of snake rep the colonies I believe.

I doubt a bunch of men who committed treason toward the crown, their govt at the time would advocate for such an act. Afterall these are men who threw tea in a harbor and pamphleteered against the crown in violation of local laws.

Where's your feisty spirit tonight CB?

When the British crown refused to act on repeated petitions, Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter and got a few friends to cosign it. There is a time for playing masquerade and dumping tea and a time for taking up the pen.

cosmo20002 09-09-2014 11:06 PM

Quote:

A Florida small business owner said Monday the city of Ocala has threatened to fine him if he does not immediately take down a Gadsden flag currently displayed outside his store.

Gear Barrel owner Keith Greenberg told TheBlaze that the city said he was permitted to fly the American flag outside his store, but prohibited from displaying anything else outside his business which specializes in selling knives.

“This is a shock,” he said. “Honestly, I feel like this is Russia. I’ve been around the world … this is what you expect in really closed countries where there is no freedom of expression. Not here — so it’s shocking.”

Just wanted to mention that his freedom of expression does allow his knife store to advertise "Killer Prices" on the window. So, that's something.

BucEyedPea 09-09-2014 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClevelandBronco (Post 10899367)
When the British crown refused to act on repeated petitions, Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter and got a few friends to cosign it. There is a time for playing masquerade and dumping tea and a time for taking up the pen.

Yes I know. I agree he should take it down first. I just don't think it's a "reasonable" ordinance. So after he takes it down, it should be fought.

Silock 09-09-2014 11:12 PM

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/EkEbqgbSqs8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kysirsoze 09-09-2014 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10899364)
Here it is. https://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10003

But it also seems that pretty much any other flag is OK as long as it is not more than 200 square inches.

Ha. If that's it I will respectfully remove myself from this debate. Stunning he didn't mention this in his video.

mr. tegu 09-09-2014 11:22 PM

Okala Florida fines business owner for flying "Dont Tread on Me" flag

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899373)
Ha. If that's it I will respectfully remove myself from this debate. Stunning he didn't mention this in his video.

If that is the case you have to wonder if he was aware of that all along and knew he could use it to be "oppressed" and drum up business.

Eleazar 09-10-2014 05:14 AM

"Okala", aka Ocala, is funny. They should put a bubble over that place.

Coochie liquor 09-10-2014 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigMeatballDave (Post 10899055)
Ocala

This. It even says the name in the article. Fail!

DenverChief 09-10-2014 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899215)
I would say freedom of speech supercedes said law. Still, not able to get too worked up about this.

Thats what I was thinking - First Amendment - on private property - what reasonable argument could the city make for restricting his right to fly that flag.

DenverChief 09-10-2014 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10899364)
Based on the pic in the OP, this looks like a size issue.

LMAO 200 Inches = 16 feet - If thats a 16 foot flag I have a wife

DenverChief 09-10-2014 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899338)

I'd bet the ACLU would handle the lawsuit

Randallflagg 09-10-2014 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 10899313)
Only allowing people to fly American flags? Flying a flag (which in this case is patriotic anyway, not that it should matter) isn't protected free speech? The anti-outrage crowd is every bit as crazy as the pro-outrage crowd.

That's sort of the rub here.....there are American flags with Mexican flags all over the business district. He's merely flying a flag that is as much a part of America as the American flag. The "city" doesn't like it.

Frankly, I say sue the city.

Randallflagg 09-10-2014 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10899331)

If that is truly the case, the city had better begin enforcing their "law" among every other business in the city and, oh, while they're at it, better take that flag down at City Hall....

Jesus, what is happening to this country.....

Saul Good 09-10-2014 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 10899540)

I guess that's true if the flag is one inch wide. 16 inches long by 12.5 inches wide is 200 square inches. The flag in this picture looks to be a standard 3' by 5', which is 2,160 square inches...11 times the permissible size.

What's the point in getting worked up over this? It's not a political issue. It has nothing to do with the image/verbiage on the flag. It's a simple city ordinance limiting the size of flags outside buildings. It's not like they're stopping him from displaying the biggest Gadsden flag on Earth inside his building. You just don't get to turn a little shopping district into Tijuana by blocking the sidewalk/walkway with giant signs, flags, etc.

cosmo20002 09-10-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverChief (Post 10899540)

200 SQUARE inches.

Sweet Daddy Hate 09-10-2014 09:53 AM

Hate speech!

Eleazar 09-10-2014 09:54 AM

That means a 12" x 18" flag would be just slightly too large for a city ordinance. That appears to be a standard size 3' by 5' flag, so it's safe to say he is in violation.

Gonzo 09-10-2014 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 10899535)
This. It even says the name in the article. Fail!

I fixed it... It confused me.

Beef Supreme 09-10-2014 12:05 PM

In the spirit of the flag he is flying, he should tell them to shove it up their ass and fly it anyway.

Valiant 09-10-2014 12:06 PM

Reddit posted a supreme Court case on this in California. California lost. Will happen here also. Just depends how quick.

ghak99 09-10-2014 02:10 PM

I only watched ~10 seconds.

I'm guessing the ordinance was originally to keep people from flogging the pedestrians with bedsheets as they walked down the sidewalk, but 200 square inches sounds awfully small.

I would hope they enforced this ordinance equally among the rest of the businesses and didn't just single out killer pricing on knives boy.

mikey23545 09-10-2014 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghak99 (Post 10900414)
I only watched ~10 seconds.

I'm guessing the ordinance was originally to keep people from flogging the pedestrians with bedsheets as they walked down the sidewalk, but 200 square inches sounds awfully small.

I would hope they enforced this ordinance equally among the rest of the businesses and didn't just single out killer pricing on knives boy.

He was singled out I'm sure, for an obvious reason that everyone seems to be tip-toeing around.

Everyone knows what political movement this flag has become associated with.

Steron 09-10-2014 02:50 PM

I'm finding it hard to care about this.

DenverChief 09-10-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 10899795)
200 SQUARE inches.

FWIW I was laughing because of they way you said "it looks like a size issue" yes I am 12....and I didn't see in the regulation where is said "square" inches

DenverChief 09-10-2014 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saul Good (Post 10899611)
I guess that's true if the flag is one inch wide. 16 inches long by 12.5 inches wide is 200 square inches. The flag in this picture looks to be a standard 3' by 5', which is 2,160 square inches...11 times the permissible size.

What's the point in getting worked up over this? It's not a political issue. It has nothing to do with the image/verbiage on the flag. It's a simple city ordinance limiting the size of flags outside buildings. It's not like they're stopping him from displaying the biggest Gadsden flag on Earth inside his building. You just don't get to turn a little shopping district into Tijuana by blocking the sidewalk/walkway with giant signs, flags, etc.

Who's worked up? I'm just having fun with my 200'' "Gadsden Flag"