ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Pats Cheating Comfirmed (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=290089)

PizzaDoughz 01-20-2015 10:38 PM

Pats Cheating Comfirmed

According to the report, the league sources say the NFL determined 11 of the 12 footballs used by the Patriots were under-inflated by two pounds per square inch each. Per NFL rules, footballs are required to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 PSI and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/1/2...bill-belichick

Discuss.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-20-2015 10:39 PM

Don't care to be honest.

thabear04 01-20-2015 10:40 PM

Who give a shit. I bet the grass was an inch to tall.

TribalElder 01-20-2015 10:40 PM

The New England Patriots had 11 of their 12 allotted game footballs under-inflated by 2 pounds of air (PSI) as required by NFL regulations, according to league sources either involved or familiar with the investigation of Sunday's AFC championship game when the Patriots beat the Colts 45-7 to advance to their sixth Super Bowl.

[+] EnlargeTom Brady
AP Photo/Matt Slocum
The Patriots had 11 of their 12 game footballs under-inflated by 2 pounds of air as required by NFL regulations during the AFC championship game against the Colts, according to league sources.
"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

Troy Vincent, the league's senior executive vice president of football operations, said earlier Tuesday that the NFL expected to wrap up its investigation in "two or three days."

Yet to be determined is what, if any, penalties may be imposed upon Patriots. One source described the league as "disappointed ... angry ... distraught," after spending considerable time on the findings earlier Tuesday.

Part of the investigation that still needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became under-inflated. The game balls provided to each team for preparation were required to be inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson two hours and 15 minutes before kickoff before they were returned to each team. No alteration of footballs is allowed once they are approved, under league rules and regulations.

The balls are required be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces.

Jimmya 01-20-2015 10:40 PM

I'm shocked that the Pats were found guilty as usual.

Bugeater 01-20-2015 10:41 PM

What was wrong with the thread we already had on this topic?

Dante84 01-20-2015 10:45 PM

yawn.

Who gives a flying ****.

TribalElder 01-20-2015 10:48 PM

Kick the pats out of the super bowl

for the lulz

Reerun_KC 01-20-2015 10:49 PM

And were still the Chuefs.

Katipan 01-20-2015 10:50 PM

I guess I care if teams are altering footballs.

alpha_omega 01-20-2015 10:51 PM

meh. Wouldn't both teams have had the advantage?

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 10:52 PM

i just dont get if all the balls were under inflated

1) why does this help JUST the pats

2) why did the refs not spot it before the game

3) why did the refs not spot it the hundred times they touched the balls

4) how does this help the pats and hurt the colts simultaneously

It just seems like they prepared the balls and the refs checked them and game on....

What am i missing

RealSNR 01-20-2015 10:52 PM

I don't see how they were cheating. Tom Brady had to throw the same deflated football that Andrew Luck did, right?

TribalElder 01-20-2015 10:54 PM

No, as I understand it each team uses the balls they bring

Colts inflated
Pats deflated

Pats advantage

Katipan 01-20-2015 10:55 PM

If it's intentional deflation it's because they think the Patriots are better prepared to play with deflated balls.

Liiiike how some guys run better on turf.

Not that I buy any of that, but I can't throw a properly inflated ball.

I hope it was some towel boy or pot head playing a huge practical joke.

Edit: I didn't realize they keep their own balls. Then, um, yah. No bueno.

Jimmya 01-20-2015 10:55 PM

ESPN said each team use their own balls.

TribalElder 01-20-2015 10:55 PM

The reason it was caught was after an interception the colts defender told the coach or equip guy who told gm who told officiating who checked the pats balls

It would have went unnoticed otherwise

Bowser 01-20-2015 10:55 PM

Banish them to the CFL for three years.

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11283244)
Banish them to the CFL for three years.

LAWL

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 11283242)

wtf

i heard the home team provided all 12 balls

**** it

**** the pats

Captain Obvious 01-20-2015 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 11283239)
No, as I understand it each team uses the balls they bring

Colts inflated
Pats deflated

Pats advantage

It's hard to believe there are so many people who don't/didn't know this.

TribalElder 01-20-2015 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 11283256)

I'm shocked the officials don't control the game balls

Bugeater 01-20-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

There's not really any reason the average football fan needs to know who supplies the ****ing footballs.

alpha_omega 01-20-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 11283242)

That's interesting. I can't confirm but I am almost sure that ISNT what they said a couple of days ago.

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

TOTALLY

BUNCH OF MORONS

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 11283265)
That's interesting. I can't confirm but I am almost sure that ISNT what they said a couple of days ago.

exactly

I still dont see what ****ing difference it makes

if the refs checked their balls and handled the balls every snap

ffs

Katipan 01-20-2015 11:02 PM

I bet most of us think it's stupid that the NFL doesn't just provide the balls.

TribalElder 01-20-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283270)
exactly

ffs

The refs inspected the balls 2+ hours before the game, in that time the patriots let the air out of 11 of their game balls. That is the problem.

The patriots probably listen to the other teams locker rooms and headsets

Hootie 01-20-2015 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283231)
i just dont get if all the balls were under inflated

1) why does this help JUST the pats

2) why did the refs not spot it before the game

3) why did the refs not spot it the hundred times they touched the balls

4) how does this help the pats and hurt the colts simultaneously

It just seems like they prepared the balls and the refs checked them and game on....

What am i missing

How have you not understood that the Pats and Colts were using different balls? You've not caught onto that part yet?

Bugeater 01-20-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alpha_omega (Post 11283265)

Yeah, if you go look at the first couple pages of the other thread, there's some links to the rule book that state that the home team provides the balls.

keg in kc 01-20-2015 11:05 PM

Wonder if there's even an established punishment.

Wonder if this will spark a rules change.

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11283280)
How have you not understood that the Pats and Colts were using different balls? You've not caught onto that part yet?

i now have

but that isnt what they were saying yesterday or even this morning

I still think the refs are to blame for letting the balls in play....according to the rules

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11283286)
Yeah, if you go look at the first couple pages of the other thread, there's some links to the rule book that state that the home team provides the balls.

this

Captain Obvious 01-20-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11283262)
There's not really any reason the average football fan needs to know who supplies the ****ing footballs.

Same as in college and high school and junior high and...

TribalElder 01-20-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283289)
i now have

but that isnt what they were saying yesterday or even this morning

I still think the refs are to blame for letting the balls in play....

Refs verified equipment prior to the game, after which time the patriots altered it

Bugeater 01-20-2015 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious (Post 11283292)
Same as in college and high school and junior high and...

And I'm sure that the fans of those levels of the sport don't know or care where the ****ing footballs come from.

srvy 01-20-2015 11:08 PM

Damn 2 lbs psi under minimum specs is quiet a bit. There isnt much volume in a football so I would think compared to a car tire it would be like 5 to 8 lbs under inflated. Why the ref that spots the ball before each snap wouldn't notice this? I know 2 lbs doesn't seem much but I thing it is. When I get home tomorrow sounds like a good experiment. Inflate my football to 14 lbs then deflate to 12 see if its noticeable.

Bowser 01-20-2015 11:08 PM

Were the deflated balls easier for LeGarrette Blount to handle? (nttiawwt)

stevieray 01-20-2015 11:18 PM

I call bs....ball boys on the field...experienced line judges who handle balls on a continuous basis didn't notice, yet a LB catches an INT and figures it out?

Face it NFL...the Patriots are Just that WElLL COACHED,....

You can't help but be all jealous of a team who keeps plugging in guys year in and year out and continue to win when it matters most. When it's Denver cheating its ok because you aren't trying unless you do...but now we care?

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 11283306)
Were the deflated balls easier for LeGarrette Blount to handle? (nttiawwt)

yes and the deflated balls made it easier for the Pats to tackle but the colts defenders fell over like bowling pins

what a ****ing joke, seriously

so many cry babies...

its unreal

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by srvy (Post 11283305)
Damn 2 lbs psi under minimum specs is quiet a bit. There isnt much volume in a football so I would think compared to a car tire it would be like 5 to 8 lbs under inflated. Why the ref that spots the ball before each snap wouldn't notice this? I know 2 lbs doesn't seem much but I thing it is. When I get home tomorrow sounds like a good experiment. Inflate my football to 14 lbs then deflate to 12 see if its noticeable.

its like what...15% or so?

Hootie 01-20-2015 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 11283334)
I call bs....ball boys on the field...experienced line judges who handle balls on a continuous basis didn't notice, yet a LB catches an INT and figures it out?

Face it NFL...the Patriots are Just that WElLL COACHED,....

You can't help be all jealous of a team who keeps plugging in guys year in and year out and continue to win when it matters most.

You call bullshit? Sounds like it was confirmed. I'm not sure how something that is confirmed cheating is bullshit ... ?

Of course the Pats are a great team ... that's why it's so ridiculous they keep cheating.

TribalElder 01-20-2015 11:22 PM

Chicken or the egg

Are they great because they cheated?

Bugeater 01-20-2015 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283337)
yes and the deflated balls made it easier for the Pats to tackle but the colts defenders fell over like bowling pins

what a ****ing joke, seriously

so many cry babies...

its unreal

Well the thing is, the Pats didn't know they were going to end up rolling right over Indy when they screwed with the balls. Saying that it doesn't matter since they blew them out is like saying it doesn't matter that I drove home shitfaced drunk since I didn't kill anybody along the way.

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:24 PM

just stupid.

First. NFL should be the ones that supplies the footballs.

Secondly, even if the NFL doesn't, then the balls checked should be checked during the anthem or like 10mins before kickoff.

Just dumb.

TimBone 01-20-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

exactly

ffs

Thats the main thing I wanna know. Did the refs check the balls like they were supposed to do? Did the Pats alter them after that?

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11283353)
Well the thing is, the Pats didn't know they were going to end up rolling right over Indy when they screwed with the balls. Saying that it doesn't matter since they blew them out is like saying it doesn't matter that I drove home shitfaced drunk since I didn't kill anybody along the way.

you have a point...

and if walt anderson comes out and says he DID check the balls and they were legit 2 hours before the game...

I will agree the pats ought to be punished

but if the refs let the balls pass as-is....

then its on them

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11283360)
Thats the main thing I wanna know. Did the refs check the balls like they were supposed to do? Did the Pats alter them after that?

this x 11tybizillion

stevieray 01-20-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11283345)
You call bullshit? Sounds like it was confirmed. I'm not sure how something that is confirmed cheating is bullshit ... ?

Of course the Pats are a great team ... that's why it's so ridiculous they keep cheating.

Yes. Referees place the ball....you trying to tell me a LB
has a better feel for the ball than a line judge who handles the football a thousand times a season can't?

Bugeater 01-20-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 11283357)
just stupid.

First. NFL should be the ones that supplies the footballs.

Secondly, even if the NFL doesn't, then the balls checked should be checked during the anthem or like 10mins before kickoff.

Just dumb.

That's not going to stop them from messing with them once the game starts.

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:26 PM

Quote:

Thing is. The balls air pressure only makes it easier to catch. The ball can still be defended. Still be intercepted. Ball can still be stripped. Ball carrier still be tackled.

It gave the pats a slight advantage.. shouldn't be punished to harshly

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 11283366)
Yes. Referees place the ball....you trying to tell me. Alb has a better feel for the ball than a line judge who handles the football a thousand times a game can't?

this is what doesnt make sense....

the refs handle it every snap......

so weird

Hootie 01-20-2015 11:27 PM

No idea, man...other than officials aren't really catching many balls from Tom Terrific

chiefzilla1501 01-20-2015 11:27 PM

Quote:

exactly

ffs

It wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game. Even knowing this, the Pats should still go to the Super Bowl.

But I have no respect whatsoever for a team that would do that and surprised some people are okay with the Pats doing this.

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11283367)
That's not going to stop them from messing with them once the game starts.

Yeah, but it would be as easy. I mean.. how hard is it to mess with them 2 hrs pregame? NFL should just be the main ball handlers at all times

Hootie 01-20-2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 11283370)
Thing is. The balls air pressure only makes it easier to catch. The ball can still be defended. Still be intercepted. Ball can still be stripped. Ball carrier still be tackled.

It gave the pats a slight advantage.. shouldn't be punished to harshly

So if I just drink a little bit past .08 and drive anyways, I'm just breaking the law a little bit so if I kill someone just a tad it's ok cuz I barely broke the law

ThaVirus 01-20-2015 11:29 PM

I can't believe people don't think this is a big deal..

Anyway, for anyone that isn't a complete idiot, what should the punishment be? After Spygate it's gotta be pretty steep, yes?

TimBone 01-20-2015 11:29 PM

Quote:

Did you drive home shitfaced?

chiefzilla1501 01-20-2015 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11283381)

Anyway, for anyone that isn't a complete idiot, what should the punishment be? After Spygate it's gotta be pretty steep, yes?

Every QB on the roster has to be replaced with Matt Cassel

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hootie 2.0 (Post 11283378)
So if I just drink a little bit past .08 and drive anyways, I'm just breaking the law a little bit so if I kill someone just a tad it's ok cuz I barely broke the law

you think deflating balls is the same extremity as driving influenced, but not getting caught?

I would understand if the pats were somehow spiking the other teams drinks or giving themselves ped in their drink that it would compare in terms of "extremes" but deflated balls? c'mon son.

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11283374)
But I have no respect whatsoever for a team that would do that and surprised some people are okay with the Pats doing this.

I'm not Ok with them tampering balls AFTER a check.

I am perfectly OK with them preparing 36 balls (as per the NFL rules I read for outdoor games) and letting the refs inspect them...and if they clear the balls, game on...if not, adjust inflation etc...

It all depends on WHEN the tampering was done IMO.

If they prepared balls like EVERY team does, and the refs OK'd the balls...then its on the refs...not the PATS i.m.o.

If they tampered with them after the check.....thats different story....

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:34 PM

I swear there is a mistake in this reporting....because they shouldve prepared 36 balls and set aside 12 for just kicking

according to the rule blurb earlier in thread...

nothing makes sense

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283401)
I swear there is a mistake in this reporting....because they shouldve prepared 36 balls and set aside 12 for just kicking

according to the rule blurb earlier in thread...

nothing makes sense

it really doesn't make sense.

Bugeater 01-20-2015 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11283383)
Did you drive home shitfaced?

HEY I SAID I DIDN'T KILL ANYONE GODDAMNIT

TimBone 01-20-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 11283381)

Yeah...I dont agree that it should be a slap on the wrist. It doesnt matter if it was just a slight advantage. Cheating is cheating.

Since we cant follow Clay's wonderful suggestion and ban them to the CFL for three years, I say fine the hell out of them and take away some major top end draft picks. They have a history, ya know.

Also, officially put the asterisk to their SB wins.

chiefzilla1501 01-20-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobBlake (Post 11283389)
you think deflating balls is the same extremity as driving influenced, but not getting caught?

I would understand if the pats were somehow spiking the other teams drinks or giving themselves ped in their drink that it would compare in terms of "extremes" but deflated balls? c'mon son.

I think the point is... it's one thing to get pulled over and you accidentally had a tail light out. It's another to get pulled over knowing you did something wrong.

It doesn't sound like the Pats can play the innocent card here. It seems like they knew they were breaking the rules and did it anyway. And this would be a much smaller deal if they weren't repeat offenders.

TimBone 01-20-2015 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283398)
I'm not Ok with them tampering balls AFTER a check.

I am perfectly OK with them preparing 36 balls (as per the NFL rules I read for outdoor games) and letting the refs inspect them...and if they clear the balls, game on...if not, adjust inflation etc...

It all depends on WHEN the tampering was done IMO.

If they prepared balls like EVERY team does, and the refs OK'd the balls...then its on the refs...not the PATS i.m.o.

If they tampered with them after the check.....thats different story....

Yep on all dat

chiefzilla1501 01-20-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 11283411)
Yeah...I dont agree that it should be a slap on the wrist. It doesnt matter if it was just a slight advantage. Cheating is cheating.

Since we cant follow Clay's wonderful suggestion and ban them to the CFL for three years, I say fine the hell out of them and take away some major top end draft picks. They have a history, ya know.

Also, officially put the asterisk to their SB wins.

In Roger Goodell's wonderful world of "eeny meeny miney penalize" that will never happen. If I'm the Saints, I demand that any coaches with knowledge of this be suspended for several games next season.

TimBone 01-20-2015 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baconeater (Post 11283410)
HEY I SAID I DIDN'T KILL ANYONE GODDAMNIT

Consider the matter settled.

wazu 01-20-2015 11:40 PM

3 First Rounders, Belichick banished from NFL for life, $10 million fine.

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:40 PM

wait they discovered this at half-time

Quote:

The game officials discovered at halftime that footballs used in the first half were under-inflated, testing each ball twice with different gauges, according to Ben Volin of The Boston Globe.
http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/20/new...-investigation

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

and footballs must remain under supervision of the referee until they are delivered to the ball attendant shortly before the start of the game.

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 11283412)
I think the point is... it's one thing to get pulled over and you accidentally had a tail light out. It's another to get pulled over knowing you did something wrong.

It doesn't sound like the Pats can play the innocent card here. It seems like they knew they were breaking the rules and did it anyway. And this would be a much smaller deal if they weren't repeat offenders.

yeah i understand.. but i've watched seahags purposely go for niner oline/dline guys knees.. and nothing is done about it.. not a big deal but pats are the worst cheaters haha always gettin caught

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:44 PM

Here is another angle...

sudden cold can cause deflation of 20% PSI (warm inside air, inflated...then taken outside)

13-14 PSI

minus 20% (2.6-2.8)

=

11ish PSI

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 11283424)
3 First Rounders, Belichick banished from NFL for life, $10 million fine.

:drool:

TribalElder 01-20-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283435)
Here is another angle...

sudden cold can cause deflation of 20% PSI (warm inside air, inflated...then taken outside)

13-14 PSI

minus 20% (2.6-2.8)

=

11ish PSI

Didn't happen to the colts, they must use cheap balls in New England

Rain Man 01-20-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 11283426)
wait they discovered this at half-time

It was 17-7 at halftime, and then the Patriots scored 21 points in the third to go up 38-7. Maybe it was the Colts who deflated the balls in the first half.

tk13 01-20-2015 11:45 PM

Quote:

Here is another angle...

13-14 PSI

minus 20% (2.6-2.8)

=

11ish PSI

It was 50 degrees outside though.

Ming the Merciless 01-20-2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 11283438)
Didn't happen to the colts, they must use cheap balls in New England

wjat was the psi of the colts balls at the time of the check and then at half time?

RobBlake 01-20-2015 11:46 PM

Quote:

Here is another angle...

13-14 PSI

minus 20% (2.6-2.8)

=

11ish PSI

now the question is.. did the colts suffer loss of PSI? i imagine most balls under go deflation throughout a game