ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Alex Smith: Chiefs' offensive strategy will look much different this year (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=300060)

Dante84 05-25-2016 07:22 PM

Alex Smith: Chiefs' offensive strategy will look much different this year

Quote:

Alex Smith says the Kansas City Chiefs are always changing and in a way he's right. The Chiefs offense will change. The personnel, however, doesn't seem to be changing around him as much as other teams which is a good thing.

Alex was asked about this being his fourth year and how the Chiefs offense changes as the team's personnel changes.

"For sure, especially with Coach Reid, nothing's chiseled in rock," Alex said via quotes from the Chiefs. "We are constantly changing and constantly trying to get better. He grinds over using the talent we have and how can we make it better and put guys in good situations and take advantage of strengths. We're always changing."

The Chiefs found out last year that they have a lot of talent at running back after Jamaal Charles went down. It makes me wonder if the offense will change in a way to highlight that strength at running back.

"I think they spent a lot of time after the season," Alex continued, "looking back at the entire collection of last season, all the snaps and really, what is our identity, where do we need to go from here, what are we good at, what do we need to maybe kick out of the offense, what do we need to add on, build on, things like that. I feel like it's constantly changing."

I found this interesting: Alex said they looked at the tape of their first OTA session last year. "Very, very different the install that went in today, very different than last year's install." Hmm.

"And then obviously there's going to be a big change when you add (Matt) Nagy and (Brad Childress) in there," Alex said. "They've spent a lot of time this offseason, really, I think, trying to clean that stuff up with Coach Reid. You're always changing."

What's not changing that much is the Chiefs personnel. Jeremy Maclin is back again. Both Jamaal Charles and Travis Kelce - along with Alex and Maclin, the Chiefs most important offensive players - are going into their fourth year together. Albert Wilson is going into his third year. Chris Conley in his second year. There's some continuity on offense.
http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2016/5...lways-changing

MIAdragon 05-25-2016 07:38 PM

Lol

notorious 05-25-2016 07:47 PM

Back to swing passes to Jamaal.

Sofa King 05-25-2016 07:48 PM

I really doubt it's much different.

eDave 05-25-2016 07:49 PM

Smith said nothing. I bet we stretch the field 'just' a bit more.

DaneMcCloud 05-25-2016 07:51 PM

I hate Arrowhead Pride.

Stop quoting their shit and go directly to the source, please.

Hammock Parties 05-25-2016 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 12246449)
Smith said nothing. I bet we stretch the field 'just' a bit more.

4500 yards and 35 TD. This is the year of Alex Elite.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-25-2016 08:28 PM

I'm really looking forward to this season with much confidence we will be a really good team.

If our OL improves , which it should , it will make a HUGE difference.

Sandy Vagina 05-25-2016 08:30 PM

Smith will basically remain the same top 10 efficient QB.

Now, we just have to hope key players can be healthy when it counts most.

Deberg_1990 05-25-2016 08:40 PM

3589 yards

22 TDs. 8 INTs

Bugeater 05-25-2016 08:41 PM

MOAR HIDDEN TOUCHDOWNS

Hammock Parties 05-25-2016 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12246501)

Plus I hear he's an absolute ANIMAL in the sack. Mrs. Smith is very satisfied.

rtmike 05-25-2016 10:19 PM

Quote:

Not cause I'm a lazy, content to be so-so Chief fan, but I'd be willing that's good for at least 10 wins.

I'd take our game manger any day over the Donks. :D

Dante84 05-25-2016 11:09 PM

I wonder if we go more ball control now that we have 3 starting caliber RBs.

The play action will be devastating if they are focused on containing West + Ware + Jamaal.

Throw Tyreek Hill and/or DAT in that mix for Jet-Sweeps or flat passes, or hit the defense over the top with Maclin or Kelce.

All that with our easy, easy schedule and we should dominate the regular season if we stay healthy.

BlackOp 05-25-2016 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12246682)

The play action will be devastating if they are focused on containing West + Ware + Jamaal.

Throw Tyreek Hill and/or DAT in that mix for Jet-Sweeps or flat passes, or hit the defense over the top with Maclin or Kelce.

All that with our easy, easy schedule and we should dominate the regular season if we stay healthy.

Childress , I would assume, will play a more active role in it too...I dont think anyone really took Pederson seriously as a true OC. He seemed more of a rah rah, glorified Reid assistant to me. Andy has always been a big nepotism guy...

Demonpenz 05-25-2016 11:43 PM

Could you imagine Tecmo Bowl with Alex Smith? All the plays would be "bubble Screen"

jspchief 05-26-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12246456)
I hate Arrowhead Pride.

Feel free to post your own stuff.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-26-2016 03:58 AM

First offensive play will be a screen.

20 dollars.

Who's the first taker?

Sandy Vagina 05-26-2016 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 12246647)
Not cause I'm a lazy, content to be so-so Chief fan, but I'd be willing that's good for at least 10 wins.

I'd take our game manger any day over the Donks. :D

I'll be curious to see if the "game-manager/overly cautious" nature that he has morphs into a bit more of a risk taker throughout the season.

I know.. I know.. "been in the league 10+ years.. is what he is..."

.. but just maybe he became this QB because of poor OLs and underwhelming WRs.

4th year into this system... perhaps the personnel is improving to a point where he can and will afford himself to be more aggressive. Seems even last season, he was taking a couple more deep shots per game.

Just to throw out a comparison on passes attempted for 21+ yds...

Tom Brady threw 60 of these all year.. which is good for just under 15% of his total pass attempts.

Phillip Rivers had 47 attempts over 21+ yds.. which was 7.1% of his total pass attempts... just wow, right?

Alex had only 32 attempts over 21+ yds.. which was 6.8% of his total pass attempts.

I don't ever see him becoming a vertical-happy QB, but if he trusts his protection more... if he is building a rapport with the other WRs.. we should see a few more deep shots per game attempted. If a QB throws 500 passes in a season, and 15% of them are 21+yds attempted.... then you have 75 attempts from that range throughout a season.. which is still only 4-5 deeper shots per game.

Fish 05-26-2016 07:16 AM

Pretty sure they say this every year about this time....

ping2000 05-26-2016 07:25 AM

13% more screens!

ThaVirus 05-26-2016 08:18 AM

Doubt it.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-26-2016 08:27 AM

Every damn team in the league has a piece like this. The team is llllloaded though.

Simply Red 05-26-2016 08:32 AM

Quote:

I hate Arrowhead Pride.

who even owns that site?

ThaVirus 05-26-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 12246860)
who even owns that site?

Hootie, I think.

O.city 05-26-2016 08:45 AM

5000 yards 40 tds in the air?

Beef Supreme 05-26-2016 08:48 AM

You've never seen a screen pass like THIS!

Pasta Little Brioni 05-26-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 12246860)
who even owns that site?

The REAL Smed

Mr. Laz 05-26-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12246468)
4500 yards and 35 TD. This is the year of Alex Elite.

Clayton ... all day long

Pasta Little Brioni 05-26-2016 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 12246873)
5000 yards 40 tds in the air?

4500 total yards 30 scores

Mr. Laz 05-26-2016 08:49 AM

So different from the productive post-charles injury offense?

or

Different from the 30 passes at or behind the LoS type offense?

Discuss Thrower 05-26-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 12246836)
Doubt it.

Yyeeeee-up. Same predictable play-not-to-lose gameplan with terrible clock management sprinkled judiciously.

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12246693)
Childress , I would assume, will play a more active role in it too...I dont think anyone really took Pederson seriously as a true OC. He seemed more of a rah rah, glorified Reid assistant to me. Andy has always been a big nepotism guy...

And Pederson has zero control as a head coach as well, which has been documented the past few days as Jim Schwartz and QB coach Frank Reich have both contradicted Pederson's statement that Sam Bradford is the Eagles undisputed #1 starter.

I am so happy that bozo is gone.

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 12246710)
Feel free to post your own stuff.

I do, almost every day. I link to The Star or the Chiefs website, not some crappy 3rd party site that makes their own opinions and assumptions based on articles written by someone else.

It's not journalism, it's garbage.

keg in kc 05-26-2016 10:46 AM

Quote:

The Chiefs found out last year that they have a lot of talent at running back after Jamaal Charles went down. It makes me wonder if the offense will change in a way to highlight that strength at running back.
Now would be a perfect time for a new "lol arrowhead pride" emoticon.

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 10:48 AM

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...e79924462.html

Chiefs counting on continuity to improve offensive output

Tuesday’s practice, which marked the first of 10 voluntary practices the Chiefs will hold over the next month, was the first time the Chiefs have gone 11-on-11 since their 27-20 loss to the New England Patriots in the AFC divisional round. But for quarterback Alex Smith, the best indicator of hope for an improved offense in 2016 did not hit him this week. Instead, he realized it way back on April 18, which marked the start of the team’s offseason workout program. “It kind of hit me day one of Phase I when we came out here and QBs and receivers and tight ends and running backs were throwing, and there were only a couple of new faces,” said Smith, a 12-year veteran. “Definitely a rarity.”

The NFL, by nature, is rife with turnover. That is especially true at the bottom of the roster, where players are viewed as inexpensive and replaceable. Yet the Chiefs remain largely intact from last year, especially at the skill positions, as their top eight rushers and top seven receivers return. “It was nice from day one,” Smith said. “We weren’t really having to reteach anything, guys knew it.”

Granted, there are some new faces who might be expected to contribute, especially at receiver. Veteran free agents like Rod Streater and Mike Williams could make an impact, in addition to rookies like Demarcus Robinson (a fourth-rounder) and Tyreek Hill (a fifth-rounder). Meanwhile, coveted free-agent right tackle Mitchell Schwartz is being counted on to help solidify an offensive line that surrendered 46 sacks, tied for sixth-most in the league.

Add it all together, and players say there’s a belief the Chiefs — who finished 27th in total offense and ninth in points scored a year ago — have the pieces in place to take the next step. “I think we have basically gotten to the point where we know what we are, we know what we’re capable of, and the things that we’re doing now, on the offensive side of the ball, is what we’re good at,” receiver Jeremy Maclin said.

That may sound simple, but Maclin said it’s not always a given. “Sometimes, people try to do things they want to do, but they’re not necessarily good at doing,” Maclin said. “But as long as you stick to your strengths and put guys in position to be successful, I think we’re going to be in pretty good shape. Like I always said, Alex is a guy who can do everything. You’ve got (tight end Travis) Kelce. You’ve got myself. A busload of running backs who can all run the football. So I’m excited about it, for sure.”

A big key to making it all work, of course, will be the 32-year-old Smith, who is coming off a career year in which he assumed more control of the offense, earned respect around the league and emerged as a timely playmaker, both with his arm and his legs. Chiefs coach Andy Reid said the staff will continue to challenge Smith as he pushes to find his ceiling as a leader and quarterback. “Yeah, he’s so smart, we’re lucky to have him,” Reid said. “He’s always wanting more and to be challenged more. We give it to him within realm, we give it to him. He just gobbles that kind of stuff up. He’s not getting any younger, I know that, but he’s loving every minute of it, which is kind of fun to be around.”

Smith’s positive, upbeat attitude on Tuesday reflected that. After the practice, he happily noted that there were fewer mistakes compared to last year, and he seemed genuinely optimistic about the status of the offense. “I know today we stuck on a little tape from last year’s first OTA just to kind of take a peek,” Smith said. “Very, very different the install that went in today, very different than last year’s install.

"It was a clean day, way cleaner today than last year’s.”

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 10:50 AM

**** Arrowhead Pride for distorting Smith's words and leaving out the key component.

"It was a clean day, way cleaner today than last year’s” and Chiefs counting on continuity to improve offensive output

Hydrae 05-26-2016 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Laz (Post 12246882)
So different from the productive post-charles injury offense?

or

Different from the 30 passes at or behind the LoS type offense?

Different than what they installed at the beginning of OTAs a year ago. :shrug:

Bowser 05-26-2016 10:53 AM

MOAR HALFBACK PASSES

Bowser 05-26-2016 10:54 AM

Reid's first love is throwing the ball, and with Childress having an increased role I think we'll see more of that. Question is, will it be more screens/down the line passes, or are we actually going to attack down the field (I didn't say 20+ yards down the field, so reel in your Hate Alex Boner)?

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-26-2016 10:55 AM

Those opinion websites that advertises themselves as news is full of garbage. Even ESPN's grading of our season was a bunch of crap, grading us as a 'c+' without even mentioning the addition of Mitchell schwartz

TigeRRUppeRRcut 05-26-2016 10:57 AM

Smith is too classy to give us his real take on summer camp two years ago when Bowe was our #1. I would pay good money to hear his opinions then

RunKC 05-26-2016 10:59 AM

Hopefully Childress establishes a new rule that we should run the ball on 3rd and 1 99% of the time...or that we should run the ball at least one time when we have 1st and 10 at an opponents 38 ****ing yard line.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-26-2016 12:10 PM

"Continuity" of watching concrete attempt to roll uphill...

HemiEd 05-26-2016 04:09 PM

Quote:

I hate Arrowhead Pride.

This whole board must be really boring to you with all the Hollywood entertainment right out of your front door. For the life of me I can't understand why you are here.

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12247561)
This whole board must be really boring to you with all the Hollywood entertainment right out of your front door. For the life of me I can't understand why you are here.

:facepalm:

I sure as **** hope I'm not a grumpy old man when I'm your age

HemiEd 05-26-2016 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12247569)

That is probably your funniest post on the Planet. You call me out for being Grumpy. ROFL

Really? ROFL Hey, Tyler Bray is the 2nd string QB, what do you think of that Mr. Sgt. of Arms?

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 12247692)
That is probably your funniest post on the Planet. You call me out for being Grumpy. ROFL

Really? ROFL Hey, Tyler Brey is the 2nd string QB, what do you think of that Mr. Sgt. of Arms?

First off, it's Bray, not Brey.

Secondly, you've been picking at me for the better part of the year and I've not responded to your baiting until now.

You're a over 65 man with 7 stents in his heart. I'd think you'd have better things to do with the remainder of your life than to pick at my every post but apparently, I'm wrong.

Baby Lee 05-26-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagnabit (Post 12247198)
"Continuity" of watching concrete attempt to roll uphill...

What do you care?

Hammock Parties 05-26-2016 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12247696)
You're a over 65 man with 7 stents in his heart. I'd think you'd have better things to do with the remainder of your life than to pick at my every post

WTF happened to respect for elders.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

HemiEd 05-26-2016 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12247696)
First off, it's Bray, not Brey.

Secondly, you've been picking at me for the better part of the year and I've not responded to your baiting until now.

You're a over 65 man with 7 stents in his heart. I'd think you'd have better things to do with the remainder of your life than to pick at my every post but apparently, I'm wrong.

Yeah, I fixed the Bray part before the edit time clicked in. :D

I have always stood up to bullies and assholes, my whole life. Goes all the way back to the 50s. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it hasn't.

Please try and avoid being Grumpy Dane, good luck with that. ROFL

***edit*** Holy crap I just noticed you said you might be wrong. I put it on the calender, May 26, 2016. There is hope.

Chief Roundup 05-26-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12247569)

You are already are grumpy all the time. It is obvious to everyone except you.

All you do is whine and throw fits and trash most threads with your posts in one way or another and it always leads to your grumpy hateful bullshit spewing on others.
Is it the many or the one that is or has the problem?

Chief Roundup 05-26-2016 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12247706)
WTF happened to respect for elders.

Jesus ****ing Christ.

A person has to have respect for themselves before they can have respect for others.

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 12247804)
You are already are grumpy all the time. It is obvious to everyone except you.

All you do is whine and throw fits and trash most threads with your posts in one way or another and it always leads to your grumpy hateful bullshit spewing on others.

If your IQ is over 80, I'd be shocked.

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 12247805)
A person has to have respect for themselves before they can have respect for others.

LMAO

Hammock Parties 05-26-2016 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 12247804)

I haven't been here long but this guy seems to piss on every thread he's in like a dark rain cloud full of dicks.

Is this the encouraged posting style here? Making light of someone's heart issues seems cruel.

DaneMcCloud 05-26-2016 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12247815)
I haven't been here long but this guy seems to piss on every thread he's in like a dark rain cloud full of dicks.

Is this the encouraged posting style here? Making light of someone's heart issues seems cruel.

First off, you're a liar and have been banned in the past.

Stop with the nonsense.

Chief Roundup 05-26-2016 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12247815)

What about knowing someone is dying and asking them why they are dead yet?
Is that something you have done or are capable of doing?

Hammock Parties 05-26-2016 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 12247826)
What about knowing someone is dying and asking them why they are dead yet?
Is that something you have done or are capable of doing?

Absolutely not, I try to treat everyone with respect.

Chief Roundup 05-26-2016 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12247828)
Absolutely not, I try to treat everyone with respect.

Are you Clay Wendler?

Chief Roundup 05-26-2016 07:42 PM

Mods have you checked this smellway out to see if it is the ole Go Chiefs?
Has he been let back in to see if he has changed while not letting the other members know?

Hammock Parties 05-26-2016 07:46 PM

I'm new here. Please treat me with respect and I will do the same to you in turn.

Chief Roundup 05-26-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12247813)
If your IQ is over 80, I'd be shocked.

You need ECT that is for sure. I am one semester from a Bachelors degree in Business Management with a minor in Finance.

Chief Roundup 05-26-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12247838)
I'm new here. Please treat me with respect and I will do the same to you in turn.

Please answer my direct question.

Hammock Parties 05-26-2016 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 12247842)
Please answer my direct question.

Never been here before.

Baby Lee 05-26-2016 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smellway (Post 12247851)
Never been here before [in this moment in time].

None of us has.

jonzie04 05-26-2016 11:00 PM

Hopefully we run the ball near 30 times a game. Looking at this https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...ate=2015-11-12 we were 21st in rushing attempts per game when Charles went down, and up to 9th at the end of the season.

temper11 05-27-2016 02:01 AM

Quote:

Now, we just have to hope key players can be healthy when it counts most.

This. Smith is never going to be the gunslinger people want him to be. He's going to take care of the football, complete a high percentage of his throws, use his feet effectively, keep his defense out of shitty positions as much as possible, and put the team in a position to win.

Chiefs get to the end healthy... they have as good a shot as any.

Go Chiefs.

temper11 05-27-2016 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 12246682)

I just hope they don't go back to Jamaal left, Jamaal right, Jamaal up the middle. They've got plenty of weapons now, I hope they continue to spread it around and not get overly focused on Charles. As good as he is, he'll be better if the defense needs to account for everyone.

Sweet Daddy Hate 05-27-2016 04:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 12247832)
Mods have you checked this smellway out to see if it is the ole Go Chiefs?
Has he been let back in to see if he has changed while not letting the other members know?

Translation:

I am worried that this is Go Chiefs and my Alex Smith feelings are already getting hurt.

Sandy Vagina 05-27-2016 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonzie04 (Post 12248068)
Hopefully we run the ball near 30 times a game. Looking at this https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/sta...ate=2015-11-12 we were 21st in rushing attempts per game when Charles went down, and up to 9th at the end of the season.

With Andy Reid, concluding this off of rushing attempts probably isn't all that on point. The offense became more efficient during the win streak.. which means they were bound to be having more offensive plays per game with the sustained drives.

By the numbers, KC ran the ball well enough in 3 of the first 5 games.. some may say 4 out of 5. The problem early on that I recall.. and that Football Outsiders noted during that time.. was that KC was in the lower tier of teams in rush success rate.. which was an indication of poor consistency ( could and did rip off some nice gainers, but mixed with plenty of runs stuffed ). I blame this on Andy's play selections as much as the OL blocking.

I do like the idea of a balanced offense though. I'm frequently complaining about the lack of Anthony Sherman leading the way too.

BossChief 05-27-2016 06:51 AM

That's not clay.

Either him or dagnabbit is probably ror, though.

FringeNC 05-27-2016 07:10 AM

We will be throwing the ball downfield more because the offensive line will be able to consistently pass block for the first time since 2005.

Rausch 05-27-2016 07:44 AM

Have they cleared up how this 2 OC situation is going to work?

Rausch 05-27-2016 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy Cheeks (Post 12248140)

I do like the idea of a balanced offense though. I'm frequently complaining about the lack of Anthony Sherman leading the way too.

I'd also like to see Andy gamble more on 3rd and 4th and short (when situation and game flow says it makes sense.)

TEX 05-27-2016 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FringeNC (Post 12248171)
We will be throwing the ball downfield more because the offensive line will be able to consistently pass block for the first time since 2005.

:clap: THIS!

At the very least we should be able to do it enough for it to be a legitimate threat and to keep the defense honest.

Rausch 05-27-2016 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TEX (Post 12248253)
:clap: THIS!

At the very least we should be able to do it enough for it to be a legitimate threat and to keep the defense honest.

Smith actually trusting his targets won't hurt any either.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-27-2016 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 12248155)
That's not clay.

Either him or dagnabbit is probably ror, though.

Sure it is the lebron bashing outed him. He can't resist a dig at him....dagnabit is ror

Chief Roundup 05-27-2016 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagnabit (Post 12248116)
Translation:

I am worried that this is Go Chiefs and my Alex Smith feelings are already getting hurt.

It is obvious that you do not know what you are talking about.

BleedingRed 05-27-2016 11:45 AM

I wish we had a Desean Jackson type player..... Someone who could get deep, yet wide open.....